[OP-F4] Mouth of the Mountain

Keith sat in a small inn on the Fourth Floor. He had heard about a powerful monster appearing at the top of the largest mountain on this floor, and it was supposedly gaining quite a bit of popularity among other players. Quite a few were showing up to go challenge the monster, yet many couldn't even get up the mountain. Keith tipped back in his chair as he thought of how he was going to take on the monster. He was able to handle himself fine, not to mention he also could use his dragon if things went bad, but he still felt like he would need more help for the monster. He stopped tipping in his chair and scratched his ear. "Huh, guess that monster won before we even started." He said, as he looked out the window to the large mountain.

I skipped down the street in a pure white dress that skimmed the ground and long sleeves that widened at my wrists, as well as a turtle neck collar and dark brown hunting boots. I had finally found a way to place my music box in my inventory this morning by placing it in a blush pink bag that I'd bought the night before. I had been outside for awhile now, enjoying the fact that I didn't have to carry the box with me everywhere. Turning a corner, I continued skipping to the inn that I was told to stay at. I spun in a circle and came to a stop outside the inn's door and smiled. Reaching up, I grasped the handle and wrestled with pulling the heavy door open, only getting it to about halfway to where I needed it when I had to stop, letting the door close again. Drats!

Keith's ears perked up at the sound of the creaking door opening for a brief second, only before shutting again. He looked over and saw no one had entered the the inn. He tilted his head and stood up, opening the door and looking left and right, then looking down and seeing a little girl fumbling in the cold. "Hey! Are you alright? Hurry inside!" He said, holding the door open for her to enter.

Miaki was navigating through the cold, somewhat empty streets mostly occupied by NPCs saying scripted things as he walked by. The snow was coming down as it usually did but it wasn't the snow that was the problem. It was the wind chill and right now it was Miaki that was walking right into it.

"I need to get in somewhere warm STAT. Where was that inn again? I think it was on the other side of town." The wind started to pick up and really bite his face. At the turn of one corner he noticed that one door was being opened for a little girl. "GAAAAH!!!! HOLD THE DOOR PLEASE!" Miaki was rushing for the door with new vigor.

Keith had just heard the door close and then he heard a large slam as he just turned his back to it. He looked over his shoulder and opened it again, looking around and then noticing a person in a pile on the welcome mat. "Oh wow..." He said, dragging the person inside and leaving them against a fire place to thaw out, and possibly become warm enough to form words and stop chattering teeth. He walked back over to Mavis and knelt down to her height. "I'm Keith, 16 years old. It's very nice to meet you Mavis!" He said with a warm smile, holding out his hand for a shake.

"It's nice to meet you too, Keith," I exclaimed, grasping his hand and shaking it sideways, a personal handshake of mine. "You're exactly ten years older than me! Do you have to do a lot of chores? What's your favourite colour? Do you know anyone that I know? Do you like tag?" Without waiting for an answer, I skipped over to the guy by the fireplace. "What about you?" I asked curiously.

Miaki sprinted for the door with all the strength he could muster. But unfortunately for him it wasn't enough and was met with slamming into a closed door. The impact dazed him and he collapsed on the ground. Owwww..... my head. He thought mind numbed by the cold and being caught unprepared, an unusual matter in his case. Next thing he knows Miaki was being dragged inside and placed by the fireplace. The warmth of the flames had an immediate effect on him and he began to feel life again. He heard voices. One he thought he knew, the other. A young child. Younger than any voice he ever heard before. He heard the pitter-patter of footsteps approaching him.

"What about you?" The young girl asked.

"K-k-k-k-k-KACHUUUU!!!!" He sneezed loudly. "I-I-I-I'm Miaki Murakami, age 21. Hajimemashite. Nice to m-m-meet y-you." He said still shivering from the cold. This was all Miaki was able to mutter since coming in from the cold.

Keith smiled and made a small chuckle at the scene. He took a table cloth and plopped it on top of Miaki to help the cold, as he stood up, the mountain was seen in the corner of his eye out the window, and he remembered why he was on this floor. "Well, what brings you two all the way to this inn? People certainly don't come here for the weather."

Miaki still shivering and now clenching the cloth dropped on him looked over at Keith. "Would you believe me if I said I was crazy enough to come here for the weather?" He sneezed again and wiped his nose with the cloth. "I came here once before but didn't remember it being this cold. Probably should've replaced the warm cloak I gave away awhile back. Hindsight you treacherous wench." He then took a first real look at the girl beside him. He could hardly believe how young she was, but sure enough, the floating crystal Miaki could see above her indicated her as a player. "Hello little one. And who might you be?"

Luke opened the door and quickly walked in. "Hey... This is an inn... I was sitting on the roof of an inn... Baka..." He said out loud. He was freezing outside and it didn't help that he had no coat to wear. He sat down in a chair by the fire and was quickly warm again. "Thats better..." He noticed Keith, Miaki, and a young girl that he'd never seen before. "Oh, hey guys."

I grinned wildly at Miaki. "Hi Miaki! My name is Mavis! I'm six years old! Hajimemashite!" I exclaimed, spinning in a circle. Running up to the other new person in the room, I smiled and inquired, "Who are you? How old are you?" Looking back to the others, I asked again eagerly, "Favourite colour? Do you do lots of chores? Know anyone I know? Do you like tag?"

Luke thought a bit. You know Miaki, I completely forgot why i'm here... I think it had something to do with me getting bored of the first floor." He said. "Just give me some time. I'm still kind of cold." He laughed. He looked at the girl. She was the youngest person he had seen since he joined. He wondered where her family was. Luke smiled at the girl. "I'm Luke and i'm 12. Nice to meet you."

Keith was looking out of the frosted window and the back of his head. "Well... I came to check out the top of that mountain. Anyone else planning to do that too? I would like some company if I'm going up." He said, looking over his shoulder and smiling to the others.

Miaki stood, keeping himself wrapped up in the table cloth and walked over to the window beside Keith. He squinted out the window trying to see beyond the frost. "Got something in mind up there huh? We'd best pack warmly for the hike. It won't be that easy but you can sign me up." He gave Keith a subtle thumbs up and stared out the window.

"I-I don't know.... I.... I promised Zewo that I'd stay in town until he got back," I said, speaking softly for once. Shuffling my feet on the hardwood floor, I glanced behind me at the stairs that lead up to my room, suddenly feeling suffocated. Crowded, if you will. Taking a step backwards, I opened my mouth for a serious reply but closed it again, highly conflicted.

Keith tilted his head in thought as to how Mavis must feel. "Well... I don't know who this Zero is, but I'm going to guess he's your big brother or something along those lines. But if he isn't around, why don't we play hooky? I'll take care of you personally, and trust me, I won't let you get hurt." He said, smiling over to her reassuringly.

"You have nothing to worry about Mavis." Miaki placed a hand on Keith's shoulder. "Keith here is one of the strongest players I know. With him around, anything we fight will go out without a problem. I'd trust no one better to watch my back out there." He grabbed the cloth hat was still wrapped around him like a cloak and tossed it away. "In fact. The two of us are both from the front lines. The two of us alone could probably handle whatever awaits us at the top. You and Luke would just make things all the better. So long as your careful." He said with a wink.