ID#75083: MD: 5

ID#75084: MD: 4

ID#75085: MD: 6

Beat [200/200] [9/20] +1 EP

Rabid Wolf 1 [54/110]: miss

Rabid Wolf 2 [56/110]: Miss

Rabid Wolf 3 [56/110]: HIt on Shield: 0 dmg after MIT and Regen

Failed Disengage from combat

Beat wiped his brow and continued to to watch the wolves attempt to coordinate a successful offense. It was already a foregone conclusion since the rabid beasts had no chance of inflicting any damage, but Beat was still taking the time to memorize their attack patterns and analyze how to AI worked at this difficulty level.

This is only floor one, but the AI seems to have a firm grasp on strategy. I wonder how boss fights at an appropriate level work.

Walked over to the terrified player who was now staring off, shaking and muttering to himself. Beat hung his head and let out a loud sigh as he walked over and knelt down in front of the traumatized man. Beat simply stared at the man, trying to think of what he could say to someone who was stuck inside their head, thinking of all of the ways they were going to die. 

"Hey, come on man, get it together. This place is rough, you can't lose your wits.

Edited by Beat
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

ID# 75086 results: Battle: 6 = Hit! 1dmg -1NRG +1NRG (20/22)

Rabid Wolf 3: 55/110HP

After their relative success, the wolves apparently felt they had found their foe's weakness and attempted a second coordinated attack. Their feet rained down on the hardened earth of the road as they closed the distance to their target. Having seen it once before, Shield had a good idea of what was in store, and as the attacks struck, he adjusted his defenses, allowing one and only one of the wolves through. It latched onto his arm once more, which he was prepared for.

Choking up on his spear, he sent the point of it into the creature's shoulder. It released his arm with a yelp, shrinking back among the others, their fierce yellow eyes all still focused on Shield. He glared right back at them, lunging forward and thrusting his shield arm forward. The pack scattered in a flurry of barks and whines, running around in wide circles before collecting themselves and regrouping once again.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID#75094: BD: 12 (9+3) MD: 6

ID#75093: MD: 7

ID#75091: MD: 8

Beat [200/200] [10/20] +1 EP [1/3 out of combat]

Rabid Wolf 1 [54/110]: HIt on Shield: 0 dmg after MIT and Regen

Rabid Wolf 2 [56/110]: HIt on Shield: 0 dmg after MIT and Regen

Rabid Wolf 3 [55/110]: HIt on Shield: 0 dmg after MIT and Regen

Successful Disengage from Combat

After waiting for a few moments for a response, Beat reached out to the man to attempt to shake him. The man was cold and shivering to the touch and Beat began to worry, still keeping his eye on his energy bar. He tilted the man's face so that Beat's eyes met with his as he spoke. 

"Hey, you need to drink a health potion. Do you have any?" 

The man stared through him, still in shock from the near death experience. Beat had heard of this, people nearly being mauled to death by packs of monsters only to come back with no will to press on, just sitting at an inn or laying on the street everyday. Beat couldn't imagine having to face his own mortality and he sincerely hoped he never would. His ability to disregard death as a possibly, assuming the danger was not too great, was part of what gave him to ability to charge into battle fearlessly. Beat wondered what it would be like if he lost that one day. He figured he would probably manage to recover to the point of simply running his shop in the city, but he wasn't sure if he would be able to go back to fighting monsters again. He simply lacked the perspective to empathize effectively with this man. 

Edited by Beat

Battle rolls:

Spoiler

ID# 75098 results: Battle: 10 - Hit! 3dmg (1+2 crit)

Rabid Wolf 2 [52/110 HP

At this point, Shield was beginning to question if defense even had a point. He sighed, extending his shield arm as the wolves charged in for another attack. They each leaped, latching on to his arm, and taking extra time to pick his target, he plunged his spear's tip into the neck of the nearest one. It yowled and released him, running around in a wide circle by itself while the other two remained fastened to his arm.

"I'm sure you're all very proud of yourselves," Shield said, waving his arm back and forth and watching the creatures dangle.

He glanced over to check on Beat and the stranger that they had rescued. He wasn't worried about Beat, but the other boy had been in bad shape. He seemed to be stable at least, now that he was no longer dropping towards the fateful 0 hit points that would mean the end of his time in SAO and the end of his life. It was impossible to say beyond that from a distance.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID#75103: MD: 10

ID#75104: MD: 2

ID#75105: MD: 2

Beat [200/200] [11/20] +1 EP [2/3 out of combat]

Rabid Wolf 1 [54/110]: HIt on Shield: 0 dmg after MIT and Regen

Rabid Wolf 2 [53/110]: Miss

Rabid Wolf 3 [55/110]: Miss

ugh, this guy is gone. Even if we get him back to town, he'll end up just like the others. 

Beat gave up trying to empathize and racked his brain as he tried to think of a way to snap the guy out of it. He reached over and moved the guy's hand to have him summon his menu. He scrolled through the man's inventory until he found what he was looking for. He manipulated the man's finger to remove a healing potion from his inventory. Beat caught and uncorked the bottle of crimson fluid and looked at the man. 

"Hey! You gotta drink this. You won't have to worry about those wolves if you drink this!" 

The man's face registered some response, but only just a little at the mention of the wolves. It was too hard to tell if that was a good or a bad sign. 

"Argh! Fine!"

Beat grabbed the man's jaw with one man and, prying the joint open, poured the liquid in and held the man's head tilted back until the potion had been swallowed. The man's body luminesced for a moment and his body temperature rose. The man's shaking had lessened and his eyes blinked a few times before he looked right at Beat.

"I'm...not. I'm not dead?"

Beat laughed, slapping the man in the shoulder. 

"haha! Nah man! We saved your butt!"

Edited by Beat

Combat:

Spoiler

No actions

By this point, the wolves had begun to catch on that their latch-on attacks were not particular productive, and they released his arm, regrouping and scattering this time, each of them coming at Shield from a different direction. As they closed in, Shield's eyes flickered to his display.

Beat's energy is almost done recharging. Good. All I have to do is keep them busy a little longer.

As each came in for their attack, Shield threw his defensive arm forward. The first two wolves bounced off his his shield, crumpling and having to stand back up and fall back again. The third, however, had attacked at nearly the same time as the second, not giving its target time to move to defend. Its fangs sank into the hardened leather of Shield's boot but did not penetrate any further. 

"Does that taste better than my arm? I can't imagine so, but I also can't imagine it's going to taste as bad as what's about to come your way."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID#75106: MD: 4

ID#75107: MD: 6

ID#75108: MD: 8

Beat [200/200] [20/20] 3/3 out of combat

Note: I put attack for me and mob 1 on the first roll, but I forgot you have to rest for the full round, so I'm not attacking until next round. :p

Rabid Wolf 1 [54/110]: miss

Rabid Wolf 2 [53/110]: HIt on Shield: 0 dmg after MIT and Regen

Rabid Wolf 3 [55/110]: HIt on Shield: 0 dmg after MIT and Regen

The man continued to blink for a few more moments before water began to fill his eyes. 

"I can't believe I'm alive! That maniac Kayaba has served us all a death sentence! What are we supposed to do abo-"

Beat slapped the man as hard as he could without inflicting damage. The young man was far from critical health now, but it was the principal of the thing. He grasped the man's shoulders and squeezed them tightly as he spoke to him. 

"Right! You're alive! But only if you keep on living your life! Don't be like the zombies of Sword Art Online and simply roam around with no purpose! Make a life for yourself!" 

The man blinked more, still trying to return to the present moment. His tears stopped, but he was still distressed as he shook his head. 

"But I'm not good at fighting and I have no friends! How can I live here without fighting?"

Beat shook his head, a smile on his face. 

"Join a guild man. MAKE some friends. I promise there are other in the city who need help starting out. You should talk to an old alchemist named Zackariah. He'll get you started right. It's an easy quest line with good rewards for a newbie." 

Beat's speech came to an end as he saw his energy bar fill completely again. He stood up and turned back to the fight, ready to jump in. 

"Shield! I'm good to go!"

Edited by Beat

Shield turned to face Beat, a wolf now dangling from an arm and a leg and another one running circles around him yipping and barking angrily. At this point, he wasn't even bothering to put up a fight. His whole frame wiggled slightly from the virtual wolves attempting to shake rend stubborn flesh off of his stalwart body.

"Good. This was getting boring."

He shook his leg, but the wolf attached to it was being extra persistent. Taking a deep breath, he stepped and turned his body, using the momentum to throw the dangling canine off of his arm. With both arms free, he grabbed the top and bottom muzzle of the remaining wolf and pried its dripping jaws off of his thigh. He tossed the animal away, putting his shield up once again. If he was going to give his partner a clear shot, it would be best if he was not in the way.

"All set for you, Beat! Let's end this!"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID#75106: BD: 8 (5+3) LD: 11 (8+3) MD: 7

Beat [200/200] [8/20]  Tornado Kick - 1x6 - AoE- Dmg: 10 * 6 = 60  -12EP 

Rabid Wolf 1 [0/110]: Dead

Rabid Wolf 2 [0/110]: Dead

Rabid Wolf 3 [0/110]: Dead

Loot: 

550 col and 1 T1 material from each wolf. 

Total Loot: 1650 col and 3 T1 Materials

Beat looked back to the man as grinned. 

"Check this out!" 

Beat ran forward in a blur, rushing past Shield and leaping into the air, right in the middle of the still airborne wolves. He began to twist, making sure the one running around on the ground was still in range. 

"Bad dogs!"

His rotation accelerated greatly and his feet collided harshly against each of the wolves, sending them flying through the air until they eventually burst into red shards. Beat and Shield would see the spoils window appear and Beat's smile grew just a bit wider as he gave Shield a thumbs up. 

"Not a very exciting way to fight, but against that many, we may have to until we can get you doing some damage. Eh?"

He slapped Shield's shoulder plate as he teased and walked past him to speak to the man, who was now on his feet, but still shaken. Beat pulled up his menu and sent the man a friend invitation, glancing at the player's name. 

"Hey, I saw a teleportation crystal in your inventory. Go back to town and take a few days, but don't give up. If you want some help leveling, message me, alright Lance?"

Lance stared at the friend request for a moment before smiling and accepting the gesture. He pulled out his teleportation crystal and it began to glow as he looked to his saviors.

"I'll make sure people here about the two of you, thank you so much!"

With that, Lance was gone, Beat and Shield left to continue their journey. Beat looked to his ally and glanced at his health bar, laughing as he continued down the road.

"Jeez man, wolves hanging off of you and still, not a scratch. Tanking is broken on floor one." 

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 75117 results: Loot: 1 + 2 = 3 - No Materials (2 total)

I have rolled so many ones today... Is this what people mean when they say they can't even? Cuz this is certainly odd.

...I'll see myself out.

"It's worked out so far," he answered, glancing back over his shoulder at the spot where Lance had teleported from. "I hope he's going to be okay. This is no place to be adventuring alone if you can't handle some pressure."

The road ahead of them once more, Shield put his feet to the path and quickly lost count of his steps once again.

"I suppose it's good that we got there in time," he thought out loud, but there was a dark look hanging about his eyes. "Sometimes I get a little too used to not taking damage from these low-level mobs. Still... people say that more people die down here than on the front lines... People underestimate the dangers of the early floors, thinking that they'll just be able to hit and kills anything they find."

He shuddered, wondering to himself how many players had lost their lives. Last count he had heard was a number larger than he cared to think about.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75120: LD: 20 (17+3) = 1 T1 Mats found (4 Total)

1/3 Rest

Beat nodded, having lost count of his steps and beginning to wonder how close they were since the dot on the map was still the edge. All that told them was which direction with no other information. 

"True, but it's still crazy how little people think about this stuff. I know you read the manuals, so you knew better and I've got good gaming instincts so I just know better than to stray from the roads if I'm going to leave the safe zones." 

Having little perspective on the human experience, it was hard for Beat to imagine someone not realizing that with no stats or equipment, that they could just take on a mob on any floor. 

"I'm pretty sure there is actually a stone monument in the city the records the names of the deceased. It says their name, where and how they died. Sounds kinda gruesome to me." 

Beat's brow rose as he saw a wide treeline forming on the horizon. 

"Hmm ingredients grow in forests...our mark could be in there."

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

75128 results: Loot: 10 + 2 = 12 - No materials (2 total)

"And some grow in rivers. And some grow on four legs in fields. That's really not much to go off of," Shield answered with more than a little skepticism behind his voice. "I mean, clearly it's in that direction, but we have no idea how far."

His objection, as usual, was not the substance of what was being said but to the lack of thought behind the whole arrangement. In the end, this was just another iteration of running off to the second floor to punch rocks. Beat was capable, but this was becoming a pattern. He sighed, putting the matter on hold until they were back safe and sound.

"Let's just hurry up," he sighed, putting a little extra speed into his step.

The treeline slowly closed in on them, the individual trunks becoming more distinct and numerous until they were practically at the forest's edge. Shield pulled up his menu to check his stats and items before continuing forward.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75132: LD: 21 (18+3) = 1 T1 Mats found (5 Total) 

2/3 rest

Beat shook his head at Shield's skepticism and followed the tank's lead as he opened his menu and made sure everything was in order. It seemed that the damage potion he had consumed was still active and would be for quite some time. It was good that consumables in this game had a worthwhile return on investment. Once he was satisfied that everything was in order, he followed pace behind his trusty tank. 

"So, what did you have to do to unlock your profession? Cause this walk is stupid long."

After ten minutes in the forest, having found another plant-based material, Beat checked the map as he had every 30 seconds since they had gotten inside the forest, which seemed to grow thicker with each passing moment. His eyes brightened up as he saw that the dot had moved slightly towards them, indicating that it was no longer in indeterminate distance. He pumped his arms as quickened his pace, before slowing again to stay behind Shield, performing a dance of victory that was more of an assortment of random gestures and movements to a rhythm. 

"See mister negative? This wasn't that bad. Just wait until we get to higher floors. You know the grind usually creeps up as you get to higher and higher levels. Better get used to it now." 

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 75133 results: Loot: 17 + 2 = 19 - +1 Material (3 total)

"You know the only reason I couldn't afford to grind before was my job," Shield groaned. "Don't make this about my dedication. If I wasn't dedicated, I wouldn't be half the tank I am."

This was the easier question to answer, and Shield had taken a moment to collect his thoughts to try to find a good answer. Finding nothing other than the obvious, he decided he might as well tell Beat directly.

"My unlocking was... unusual," he began, realizing this was the understatement of the century. "So you probably shouldn't judge your experience off of that. The long and short of it was that I ended up appraising sundry items with a crazy old man who turned out to be what was left of a dying developer who had coded himself into the game."

As he spoke, his words sounded even crazier out loud than they had in his head, and he rested his face in his palm, his nervous habit to cover his scar, frustrated at how nonsensical it sounded. Fortunately, as he glanced around the forest, he was distracted by the inanity of his story by a piece of very neatly cut lumber that was sitting beside the forest path. Sure enough, as he bent down to examine it, the wood registered as a material, which he was more than happy to store.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75134: LD: 9 (6+3) = no mats found (5 Total)

Energy Full! 3/3 rest

Beat laughed as Shield reassured him of his dedication. It was true the Beat certainly had the advantage of having video games as his job. He wouldn't have it any other way and was certainly seeing the bright side of being stuck in a video game, despite how horrid it likely was for anyone with a life outside of video games. 

"Haha good, I wouldn't to run around with someone who isn't aiming for the top."

Beat listened as Shield told him about his profession quest and was immediately jealous. He threw his hands in the air as he ranted. 

"OH man! That sounds way cooler than this! No fair!" Beat's jealousy turned into optimistic curiosity, a wondrous look in his eyes as he smiled widely, "I wonder if there are other anomalies like that in the game. Like that travelers pack full of untagged items that looked like they belonged in the game, but weren't for some reason."

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 75135 results: Loot: 18 + 2 = 20 - +1 Material (4 total)

"-or that uncharacteristically high level monster that attacked us in the middle of a low-level quest?" Shield scolded, raising an eyebrow at Beat's seeming excitement of finding things that had not been intended to be a part of the current version of SAO. "I would much rather a planned and boring climb to the top of Aincrad than a thrilling one."

He had completely misinterpreted Beat's intended meaning behind the phrase 'to the top,' which was probably for the best. He was already a little more impatient with Beat today than was probably warranted, and the split in their motivations was not a can of worms that should best be left alone for now, whether intentionally or not.

"In any case, I wouldn't expect to see Demitrius any time soon. I think he was deleted pretty shortly after I met him..."

Again, along the side of the path, Shield spotted another chunk of freshly cut lumber, recovering it and adding it to his slowly growing pile of materials.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75137: BD: 10 (7+3) MD: 8

Beat [180/200] [16/20]: Delayed Sword- 4x1- Dmg: 10 * 4 = 40 -4 EP

Mushroom Guardian [200/200]: Hit to Beat: 20 dmg

"Yeah, I know it won't all be fun and games, but this is still a crazy world to explore. I feel like we should at least let ourselves enjoy the experience when we can. We'll be here a while, so we shou-" 

Beat was interrupted as his eyes spotted something moving through the trees. As they came nearer, they could see that there was a creature fighting with another player a young woman. It had the appearance of a treant covered with moss, which sprouted dozens of blue mushrooms with yellow spots. Beat pulled up his map and quickly noticed that the dot on his map moved every time the creature did. Before the two could move in, the Mushroom Guardian dealt the final blow to a young woman, crushing her in it's grasp of tree vines. Beat's eyes widened and his teeth grit together as he watched the girl scream and explode into a shower of red particles. His body moved on its own, propelling him through the air as fast he could move.

"Bastard!!!" 

His limbs glowed as he sank a series of kicks across its body before moving behind it to deal a chop to the top of its head. The wooden creature groaned as it whipped around in retaliation, swatting Beat out of the air. He winced from the blow and flew a good ten or fifteen feet, but he managed to stay on his feet, his health bar only moving down slightly. Beat's blood was boiling as he prepared himself to continue his assault. 

Edited by Beat

Combat action:

Spoiler

Shield: Howl

He was facing the wrong direction to see the moving of the guardian. Besides, he was more distracted by something in Beat's words.

"Enjoy ourselves? Wha-"

Shield's head swiveled towards the sounds of distress, and as his partner charged off, he growled and chased after him. Dodging through the trees, he soon needed to dodge his flying comrade. He eyed Beat's health bar and saw that he was still in good shape. Still, Shield couldn't let him stay in the line of fire. He charged at the creature as he took a deep breath, ramming it with his shield as she shouted from his gut.

"That's the last player you're ever going to get to drop!"

His impact did little aside from pushing the abomination backwards, but its focus snapped to the shield-bearer. It hulked backwards with a great leap, its great limbs swung about, battering at the barrier that had pushed it back, but failing to find home.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75142: BD: 5 (2+3) MD: 5

Beat [180/200] [15/20]: miss -2 EP

Mushroom Guardian [160/200]: miss

Beat's rage propelled him forward as he charged towards his target again. Unfortunately, his rage blinded him to a vine rising from the ground as the creature went to attack Shield and Beat found himself face first in the ground as he tripped over the appendage. Despite hitting the ground hard, Beat's glare never left the creature and he quickly picked himself up. 

"You think that's funny!?" 

He rose into the air and aimed a wild kick towards the creature's back. The attack glanced of the wooden bark skin of the beast and Beat was sent backwards. He landed firmly and balled his fists in frustration, the image of the girl burned into his eyes. He had never seen anyone die in Sword Art Online and he could easily see that it very similar to death in games like Crossreign. The big difference was that this was real life and that girl was actually dead. 

Edited by Beat

Seeing the creature continue to lash out at Beat, it was Shield's turn to turn up the volume. He forced himself forward through another hail of rope-like lashings until he was pressing against the trunk.

"Hey! You don't have the luxury of ignoring me, you worthless fungus!"

Reaching down, Shield grabbed the thickest root that he could get a hold of, wrenching upward and throwing his shoulder into it. Slowly, the creature was dragged off of its center and teetered on the spot, flailing its limb-like arms to stay upright.

"Keep your head together, Beat," Shield called out through his straining efforts. "This monster isn't dangerous to me! Take your time and pick your openings!"

There was a wrenching behind him, and the guardian pulled back, pulling its root free. As Shield turned around, though, he saw the creature's eyes focused on him once again.

"That's right, ugly! All you need to worry about is right here!"

Edited by Shield