[F1-PP] Earning a Living [Completed]

Spoiler

ID# 75145: BD: 5 (2+3) MD: 8 Two numbers I can roll and I roll it twice in a row....yeah...sure

Beat [180/200] [14/20]: miss -2 EP +1 EP

Mushroom Guardian [160/200]: Hit on Shield: 0 dmg after MIT and regen

Beat leapt into the air and brought both of his hands down on top of the forest abomination. Again, his attack seemed to bounce off harmlessly. Beat landed again and took a deep breath, his anger still clouding his mind as he struggled to keep his cool. His body shook as he forced himself to calm down. His efforts bore some fruit as he regained the ability to think analytically in the middle of a fight, though his teeth felt like they could shatter from how hard they were being pressed together. 

Okay...this guy clearly has points on his body that are simply not vulnerable to attack, gotta pick my targets better. 

His eyes quickly scanned the creature as he fought to keep his urge to simply beat on the monster at bay. He saw some obvious weak points that he would have to apologize for missing later. He took an attack stance as waited for his opening, hoping he could inflict maximum pain with his next blow.

Edited by Beat
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the corner of his eye, he watched as Beat's attacks kept landing with little or no payoff. He turned to Beat to shout encouragement, but as he did so, something blindsided him and sent him sprawling. A red, glowing streak gleamed along the side of his face where he was struck, but as soon as the hit landed it had already regenerated. Shield pushed himself upright and rolled out of the way just as another strike landed on the dirt where ha had lain.

He regained his feet and put up his shield, deflecting the next volley of blows, using the harbor to regain his footing. Gritting his teeth, he pushed forward, shoving the barrier against the things misshapen face, blinding it as best he could as the enemy's many limbs attempted to clear him out of the way. He let the desperate attacks slip past him.

"Keep it up! Don't worry about me," he called out, not making the mistake of trying to turn away from the threat. "I'll be fine! He's like me. It's hard to get through his armor, but his hits are child's play."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75146: BD: 7 (4+3) MD: 2 

Beat [180/200] [11/20]: Delayed Sword- 4x1 - Dmg: 10 * 4 = 40 -4 EP +1 EP

Mushroom Guardian [120/200]: Miss

Beat saw his opening, and while it wasn't exactly what he wanted, it would have to suffice for the moment. He charged in, sinking kick after kick into the softer, more malleable parts of the creature's tough bark skin. The second it turned to look, Beat was gone, in the air behind it to send an elbow strike to the back of the creature's head. Each blow chipped chunks of bark away from the creature as red damage indication marks formed on its body. Beat knew the creature probably couldn't feel pain, but its reactions to the blows made it seem real enough that it was cathartic.

"You. Can't. Kill. Me. And you won't. Ever. Kill anyone else!!"

The creature stumbled forward a couple of paces before turning to look again, but Beat was nowhere to be found, unless you looked right next to its slow moving leg. Beat was keeping close as he moved alongside the creature, staying out of its sight and waiting for his next opportunity. 

Edited by Beat

Yeah.That's it...

Shield pressed their advantage as Beat's attacks started to stick. He stepped on roots, making it harder for the creature to move away and out of the attack path. He rammed his shield into the trunk. His spear lashed out at every squishy bit of mushroom protruding from the bark hoping that it would prove more irritating.

The mushroom guardian stumbled back, blinded by rage at losing the upper hand of the battle. As it stumbled, the foot holding its root held fast, and it toppled, crashing to the ground. He rushed to the side, bashing his spear against his shield to draw his opponent's blinded rage.

"Make good on this one, Beat! It wasn't easy getting this lumber pile on the ground!"

Something of Beat's words echoed in his memory, and he grit his teeth before calling out again.

"Now's your chance for payback, Beat! Drive it home!"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75147: BD: 13 (10+3) MD: 1 

Beat [180/200] [8/20]: Delayed Sword- 4x1 - Dmg: (10+2) * 4 = 48 -4 EP +1 EP

Mushroom Guardian [72/200]: Miss

Nice one Shield!

Beat leaped into the air to avoid the creature as it fell as well as put him into position to make his next attack. As his ascent slowed, he looked down to watch the creature fall, frustrated that he was being tossed around the battle field in such a way. Beat repeated his familiar assault as his limb glowed the usual white.

"You're pretty tough! Let's see how much you can take then!"

He landed with the momentum of his fall, sending the first kick into the eye of the monstrosity . He followed this with a second stomp kick before pulling his leg out of the creature's eye socket, flipping backwards and kicking his target across the face, turning its head as he landed with with a palm strike to the back of its head. Beat landed on the creature's shoulder, as he grinned, leaning down so he could speak into its ear. 

"Looks like my kicks or worse than your bark big guy."

Edited by Beat

Combat Action:

Spoiler

Attack: 75169 results: Battle: 8 = Hit! - 1dmg

It was fortunate for Shield that the monster's screeching howls of pain and rage drowned out Beat's last words, or the subsequent eye rolling may have distracted him from the battle long enough for one of the flailing branch-like limbs to catch him off-guard again. With Beat's attacks finally beginning to find the foul creature's vulnerable spots, Shield knew he had to keep the pressure on to continue to draw all of the fire.

Before it had a chance to get up, Shield slipped down to the base of its roots and pressed the point of his spear into the root cluster, leaning in against it to force the point in. The monster let out another wail of pain just as Shield rolled away, avoiding the retaliatory swats that were sent his way.

It's starting to hurt. Gotta keep it up!

He was still bristling from the tragic loss of the stranger that they had been just too late to save. It was a strain to keep that feeling from ruling him, but there was no time to let his emotions run away with him.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75170: BD: 11 (8+3) MD: 1

Beat [180/200] [5/20]: Delayed Sword- 4x1 - Dmg: 10 * 4 = 40 | -4 EP +1 EP

Mushroom Guardian [32/200]: Miss

Beat's body felt hot from the rush of anger driven adrenaline that had been pumping through his body, but the anger had was being tempered by the constant assault Beat had been laying into the murderer before them. It wasn't that he didn't understand that the creature was simply an algorithm designed to try to kill players, he just no longer cared. The line between Sword Art Online and reality was already blurry at best and it was easy to forget that this monster wasn't real, especially when the player it had killed was dead in real life. 

"Slowing down are we? Too bad..."

Beat continued to assault the creature, now breaking chunks of bark off of its body with each well placed kick. The finisher of the art was traditionally a chop, but he changed it to a hammer fist this time, knocking the creature's nose straight off. He glanced at the health bar and found himself unable to smile, a feeling of dissatisfaction consuming him. 

Almost dead...

Edited by Beat

Combat Action:

Spoiler

Shield: Howl

With the destructive barrage that Beat had been laying down, the creature's focus on Shield was beginning to wane. Its health was deep in the red, and it had not even managed to right itself after being knocked over, despite its best efforts to do so. Still, Shield could not abide the monster to focus anywhere else. He slammed the bottom point of his shield into the ground, embedding it in the soil so that it stood on its own.

His hand free, he threw his shoulders back as he inhaled as much air as he could before throwing his voice at the dying foe.

"What are you looking at him for? Are we forgetting who laid you out in the first place? He's not your biggest danger, ugly! I AM!"

To drive home his point, he grabbed one of the roots and dragged the creature several feet, forcing it to claw against the ground to keep from moving rather than to continue trying to stand.

"Put him down, Beat!"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75172: BD: 6 (3+3) MD: 2

Beat [180/200] [5/20]: Basic attack - Dmg: 10 | -1 EP +1 EP

Mushroom Guardian [22/200]: Miss

Almost dead...

"-But not sorry enough!" 

Beat's mind had been replaying the scene of the creature squeezing the young girl until she literally popped over and over again. It had been fueling his assault as well as his rage and he had managed to keep his temper in check by venting his anger into his attacks, but with victory in sight, Beat found himself unsatisfied that the creature would simply disappear and then respawn, not remembering or thinking about the life it had taken. 

"No! You don't get to die yet! You will feel her pain!" 

Beat had never dealt with emotions like these and the fact that he lacked the experience to deal with them was now apparent as he jumped onto the creature's shoulder and delivered a front kick into the side of it's head, his foot denting the bark as the creature roared.

Edited by Beat

Beat seemed to be losing his focus. Even though victory was easily one strike away, he had reverted to bare limbs over sword arts. Shield growled and recovered his shield, keeping himself close to the fray is it wore on.

This needs to end.We have more important things to do.

"What are you doing? Finish him! He's on his last legs! Petty revenge isn't going to bring anyone back!"

While he had kept his temper in check throughout the fight, Beat's disregard for what seemed the reasonable course of action was challenging his patience. Shield's breathing cadence accelerated, his already stern jaw cementing into a scowl that he shot Beat on a sidelong angle as he continued ducking behind his protective equipment. It took a long, inward breath to gather himself enough to keep his tone even, trying not to let his anger run away with him.

"Take it easy! We need to end this, Beat!"

Spoiler

ID# 75174: BD: 8 (5+3) LD: 19 (16+3) MD: 2

Beat [180/200] [5/20]: Delayed Sword- 4x1 - Dmg: 10 * 4 = 40 | -4 EP +1 EP

Mushroom Guardian [-8/200]: Dead

Loot: 2k col and 2 T1 materials (1 Bonus)

Beat glared at the creature as the scene continued to replay. His jaw was sore and his teeth were in pain from how angry he had been for so long. Shield's voice rang out Beat spoke through his teeth as he reared up for another attack. 

"That girl is DEAD!! I..." 

I'm not in control...I'm torturing a living creature...

Beat trailed off, finally realizing how out of control he was. His arm lowered and he gradually slowed his breathing. He broke into a cold sweat as his body came down a little too quickly as he let go of the rage in an instant, feeling embarrassed for losing control in such a way. He looked sheepishly at Shield as the man spoke to him again. He nodded as his limbs glowed again, water filling his eyes. 

What am I doing? Just end it...

"Y-yeah...sorry..."

Though Beat's rage had turned to sorrow very quickly, he still managed to focus enough to deliver the final blows, his normal aggressive yells of vigor missing from his spirit. He quickly dismissed the spoils window and picked up the giant mushroom that had dropped from the Mushroom Guardian. He added it to his inventory and found himself wishing he had a teleport crystal. Staring at the ground, he turned and began to trudge back to the city.

"We're done...let's go..." 

Edited by Beat

Note for PST:

Spoiler

All physical contact has been discussed and approved by both players in advance.

Even amidst Beat's sense of defeat, there were words echoing in Shield's ears from before the battle even began.

"We should... enjoy the experience when we can?"

The battle finally over, Shield stood riveted to the spot, his shoulders rising and falling with the slow intensity of his breath. Now that the moment was over, his emotions were finally beginning to rise. His pulse pounded loudly and angrily in his ears, and his eyes slowly moved to Beat. He took a slow, heavy step, followed by another, quicker step. His footfalls grew faster and louder until he was on top of Beat. Shield grabbed the back of the younger man's head, dragging him across the battlefield to where the young woman had been silenced.

He put his knee into the back of Beat's own, forcing him to kneel. With a grunt and the swing of his shoulder, he put Beat's face into the grass, grinding it into the rough, scratchy blades.

"Was SHE having fun?" he belted into his partner's upturned ear. "Was SHE finding ways to enjoy HER experience? If WE get good at finding ways to enjoy ourselves, will that bring her back!?"

He gave one last shove before standing up, his legs stumbling at first from his wild motions in doing so. Standing over Beat, he filled his lungs exactly the same way as when he was howling at an opponent. Spit flew from his lips and his vocal cords scraped against one another.

"Wake up! The longer we're in here, the more people fall to the hands of this hellish game! If we're not pushing with all of our might to end it, we are condoning their deaths! It's CRIMINAL NEGLEGENCE, Beat, and what's more, it's cruel!"

The back of Sheild's throat was beginning to fill with phlegm from abusing his voice, and he had to turn his head and spit before he could find more words, though these were quieter, laced with poison rather than fire.

"That's one more name on the monument, Beat. How many are on it already? How many more are going to be added because you were off enjoying yourself? We don't have time to play."

Edited by Shield

Shield's ever quickening footsteps would go unheard by the unsuspecting martial artist. Beat was spiraling inside his head as he tried to understand what he had felt during the previous battle. The girl had popped like a balloon and his brain wouldn't stop making the comparison. He blamed himself for not immediately rushing to distract the monster. He wasn't sure if he really could have made it in time to save her, but he blamed himself all the same. His introspection was quickly interrupted by the wrenching of his head and then the sting of grass being harshly dragged against his face. He grit his teeth as he endured Shield's wrath until he was finally released. He pushed himself up onto his hands as he spoke. 

"You think I don't know that people are dying?" 

He got to his feet and spun around to face his unexpected assailant. He glared angrily at Shield for the accusation that he chose to enjoy himself instead of caring about others. It was somewhat true, though Beat didn't understand it himself  yet, that he would have great trouble choosing between leaving or staying, but if you added the weight of everyone's life to one side, would he really choose to remain imprisoned to avoid his life on the outside world? He balled his fists, resisting the urge to return the assault to his offender.  

No...No I wouldn't...he has no idea what my life is like!

"So what are we supposed to do Shield?! Torture ourselves and feel bad every moment of every day until we either die or escape?!" 

He shook his head and cleared his throat that was now becoming sore from his yelling before. His voice broke as he continued to yell to put his feelings into his words.

"I refuse to be miserable! We may never leave this place! It's a real possibility and I'm not going to spend my days wallowing in my despair and regrets when there IS enjoyment to be had!"

His shoulders rose up and down as his breathing matched the anger building in his chest. Realizing his elevated mood, Beat closed his eyes for a moment, trusting that Shield would never take the opportunity to attack again as he slowed his breathing and released some of the tension that had rapidly built up during the fight. After a few moments, he opened his eyes again, brow still furrowed, but the anger partially absent from his eyes and his voice returning to an even level.  

"Look, we can't save everybody, even if we work our asses off, hell we might not even MAKE it to the front lines. I told you I want to go to the top and if what Kayaba said is true, then that will put us in a position to also save everyone. You and I make a good team and I think we can rise to this challenge, but what kind of people will we be by the time we get there if we don't remember to save ourselves?"

Beat walked towards Shield and placed an extended index finger against the middle of the tank's chestplate as he stared into Shields eyes. 

"You don't have to give up on our mission to relax a little. You won't live through this if you don't take the time to chill and enjoy life from time to time. I promise you that." 

Beat retrieved his hand and stood facing his friend, waiting patiently for his brother in arms' response. 

A lot had been said that Shield was fairly certain neither had expected to say when they set out on their little quest. He let the impressions of both of their words hang in the air for a long time before he broke the silence, spitting again to clear his throat, though with less contempt than the first time.

"You're not responsible for this girl's death," he said with a stern conviction that was surprising considering how much anger he had directed at Beat over the matter. "It was unfair of me to hint otherwise."

It was Shield's turn to take a few breaths, and when he opened his eyes afterward, the fire had been quelled. The stillness of the forest settled in around them, disturbed only by the in-game ambiance of the forested biome.

"I see your motivation, just as you see mine," Shield assured him, using their past conversation as weight to his observation. "If pushing yourself to be the best pushes you up along side me and along the same path, then we have no qualms. However-"

Shield slowly about-faced, turning towards the forest thoughtfully, his eyes not really seeing what was in front of them. His eyes were elsewhere, on two little girls that he had not seen in far too long.

"What happens when that is no longer the case? I have seen many motivated young men like you who had endless ambition. However, when that ambition is without direction, it is easy for the wrong person to step in and direct it for their own purposes. I have watched men betray their own morals once they had already been taken too far down that rabbit hole. What is your compass? What will you use to stop you from betraying yourself?"

He glanced back over his shoulder, still only half-seeing what they beheld. With great effort, he forced them back into the virtual reality that had become their actual reality. In that moment, his dark eyes looked old, and the long scar that dissected his features stood out as a testament to hard lessons learned and wisdom that was perhaps even unwillingly received.

"You're young. Ideally, you would have a few more years before you had to answer that question in the real world. Kayaba has robbed us of that time you would have had to make up your mind."

With a few strides, he closed the distance once again, holding his eyes steady on Beat's. They were not angry. In fact, something in them seemed sad or sympathetic in a way that he had never shown to Beat before. However, although they were not angry, they were also not wavering in their conviction.

"That isn't a question you need to answer now. I have a feeling, however, it is one that remains unanswered. That is not your fault. However, the actions you take - now that we are here - are. You say that we shouldn't be suffering while we're here? Maybe. But the longer we are here, the more injustice is suffered by those who have jobs or families, or in some cases-"

His eyes broke from Beat's to look at the spot where an innocent player had died less than a minute ago.

"-have lost a lot more than that. We are all carrying one another's weight. And in my mind, you can either accept that burden, or you can run from it. In the end, in the grand scheme, or even just in the smaller case of SAO..."

He wanted to say that what Beat wanted didn't matter, but he knew that would come across as less of a reminder and more of a reprimand. It was hard to say which he meant it as, but he knew that those words would not be helpful now regardless.

"We should get back."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75212: LD: 16 (13+3) = 1 T1 Mats found (6 Total)

Beat gestured with a tilt of his head to lead them back down the path they had come from as he digested his friend's words. It was certainly true that he was young and, as a result, immature in a lot of ways. No one could blame him for this, but in their situation, he was now accountable for his actions more than he might have been otherwise. He would certainly have to think on this. One was for sure, he understood that Shield had not said anything that he did not feel passionately about. It was not typical of the older man to simply try to insult someone. If he said something, it had a purpose and Beat was beginning to be able to appreciate that. It just took them shouting it out to see a little more eye to eye.  

"I know I'm young and I really don't have a way of knowing what the future holds, but I would like to think that I'll make the right choices. Or if I don't someone will be there to beat some sense into me." 

He glanced to Shield and gave him a small smile. Even if Shield didn't consider them friends, Beat certainly did. Shield was the only person Beat could say he really knew at all.

"I understand that time is our enemy here, but I still stand by what I said. We can only do so much so fast. We won't survive if we kill ourselves getting to the top."  

Shield's obsession with returning was becoming somewhat more apparent to Beat. He could certainly understand, but the way the older man had paused as he made his point regarding what people had left in the real world made Beat think that there was someone Shield cared for on the other side. Human attachment was a little foreign to Beat, but he could remember his parents and how he loved them at one point, so he could relate well enough. His eyes wandered to the ground where a small gemstone was laying among some weeds. He bent down and retrieved it before speaking one more time. 

"Just remember that we all share that burden together. No reason to shoulder more than your fair share until you can do something about it."

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 75213 results: Loot: 20 + 2 = 22 - +1 Material (5 total)

"I know this is a mantra you're no-doubt sick to death of, but wait until you get a little older," Shield said, bringing his hand up to rub the side of his jaw where a hot toaster had once struck him. "You'll quickly find that the old are expected to shoulder a disproportionate amount of the burden for those whose shoulders can't yet reach."

He had said his words, and at the moment, he did not feel that pushing any matters further would further the discussion. There was a sort of peace between them once again, and he hoped silently to himself in that peace that he would not need to take Beat up on the offer to pound sense into him

With a start, he realized his eyes had been somewhere else once again, and he pulled them back to the path in front of them. There on the ground, hidden on the near side of a tree trunk that had masked it on their trip up, there sat what appeared to be a wild geode, still unopened, its mysterious contents uncertain until the proper merchant were to carve out its potential. He stepped aside to wrest it from its spot on the ground and transfer it to his inventory.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75214: LD: 15 (12+3) = 1 T1 Mat found (7 total)

Beat's youthful smile returned once again for the first time in a while as he let out an exaggerated sigh. He had heard that mantra less than one would think, but only because he rarely left his room beyond foraging for food. The internet age had made it easy to make money from your room and get food brought to your room. It was good to be alive. 

"Man, you don't even try to hide your age do you? Well don't worry, I'm sure if I spend enough time with you, I'll have gray hair before you know it." 

Beat had the sudden urge to ask Shield what was driving him so hard to return to the real world, but given their still fairly new return to peace, he figured it was best to save that question for another day. As they walked, a pack could be seen directly in Beat's path. He snatched it up without losing a step and began to go through it. Most of it was junk save for a sandwich and a single wooden cube that was tagged as a piece of crafting material. He pocketed the material and put the sandwich in his mouth, tossing the pack off to the side of the road. He swallowed the first bite before speaking. 

"The good thing about this game is that the food is pretty good and you never have to worry about it being spoiled since it just despawns when it expires."

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 75217 results: Loot: 19 + 2 = 21 - +1 Material (6 total)

"I'm not entirely sure you will get grey hairs, or at least not that we'll see," Shield said, spotting and snatching a second geode that has been hidden behind the first before returning to the road. "Our Nerve Gear did scans of our faces once, but think about it. If it continually updates our faces without having the tactile information of touching our bodies, our faces will eventually grow to mismatch our bodies, especially in the case of children and teenagers who are still growing."

He tried and this time succeeded in keeping his mind from wandering down the path of thinking about children. He had already let that thought overtake him during one quest. They didn't need that a second time, especially so soon after such a tense exchange of outbursts.

"I suspect it will be a little like that classic Sci-Fi film from the late 90's about the people trapped in computers. They talked about 'residual self image,' and if I had to guess, that's what we're basically always going to look like. Otherwise, we would need actual barbers and such in game, when those NPC's basically just give your hair new colors and shapes."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 75218: LD: 14 (11+3) = no mats found (7 total)

"Ahh is that so? Well, I guess I get to at least look good until I get out of here then. I'd hate to see what our bodies will look like."

Beat stared off as the thought of his physical body deteriorating plagued him. Surely he would have died by now if no one was taking care of him, though he doubted it was his father. His curiosity built up until he couldn't resist asking any longer, not that he had any reason not to ask. 

"So, out bodies are being taken care of, but in my case, I can't imagine someone coming to check on me really, so who do you think is keeping all of these players alive?"

He paused as he considered the matter further. Feeding and keeping their bodies hydrated would only go so far. Surely the human body would die if it was still for too long. 

"-and how long do you think our bodies will hold up even with food and water? I mean, they can't stay like that forever can they?"

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 75219 results: Loot: 16 + 2 = 18 - +1 Material (7 total)

"The authorities have already been alerted to the crisis," Shield observed. "Kayaba told us as much already. And since I'm assuming he acted alone, the company itself would likely comply with the wishes of the law and the public as best they can. They have records of their players and their login data, so although some may have slipped through the cracks, for the most part, they were likely rounded up as part of a mass public effort."

The second question gave him a little more pause. Technology he knew his way around, but the physiology and limits of the human body were beyond him. He searched his memory for something to compare it to.

"Well, people have been comatose for years and still woken up," he thought aloud. "I can't say for certain how accurate of a comparison that is, but it may be the closest we can come up with."

As the edge of the forest came into view, Shield looked down at a spot along the path that he recognized. He had found a hunk of lumber there before, and sure enough, as he looked at the spot, another cleanly cut piece of wood spawned on the spot.

Sometimes, I forget that what I see is not what's really happening. Even with everything we know, SAO is dangerously immersive...

Edited by Shield