[SP-F1] Some paths one must walk alone <<Redemption>>

"This seems to be the path." Hydra spoke sullenly as he crumbled up the piece of parchment, detailing a map that an information broker had given him. On this day he would redeem himself on the sins he had committed, or die trying. At least that's what the brokers had said, according to the rumors he had heard there was some sort of church deep within the first floor, that player killers could visit to try and remove there orange cursor, the catch was he could only go with other player killers. The only one Hydra knew was Nikodemus, and he had vanished long ago. "Some paths I must walk alone." Hydra whispered to the wind whilst staring intently at the trail before him. Everything about it felt quite eerie, the path looked deadly quiet, despite it leading off from a main trail. There was no sign that anyone had come this route before. "Apparently it only appears to us." Hydra recalled the earlier information he had received. Despite the dark look it had to it, the spearman also felt compelled by it, to begin his journey with a first step. "Like a moth to a flame." Hydra continued to speak his thoughts to himself as whispers. Not that there was anyone around to here them anyway. Before he continued he got out the respective items he needed, including the meal he had brought from Sey earlier. "Hopefully with this I will have enough." And with that the spearman began his solemn journey.

Stats/Equipment for this thread:

Spoiler

Level - 33

• Health: 695/695
  • Energy - 68/68
  • Damage - 19 (6 (rank) + 6 (weapon) + 1 (Athletics) + 6 (T2 alcoholic))
  • Regeneration - 18 (armor)
  • Heavy momentum - 0/4 (armor)
  • Accuracy - 3 (item)
  • Evasion - -3 (T2 Alcoholic)

Equipped Items:

• Water Serpent's Fang | T2 Perfect OH Spear | 6 Damage
  • Luna-Light | Perfect Lucky Charm | 3 Accuracy
  • Armor of the Water Serpent | T2 Perfect Heavy Armor | 18 Regen, 2 Heavy Momentum

At the ready:

Skills:

• One-handed Assault Spear (Rank 5)
  • Charge (Rank 2)
  • First Aid (Rank 1)
  • Heavy Armor (Rank 3)
  • Survival
  • Concentration
  • Gatherer

Mods:

• Athletics (+1 DMG, +15 Health)
Edited by Hydra
Forgot to add gatherer skill in.

Hydra noted the sudden change in the ground underfoot, the root he had come off was used for traveling merchants and the such so even whilst it was made of dirt, the feeling was smoother. This path on the other hand felt rough and cobbled. The soil was also barren of any life, a murky brown color. However that wasn't the only change, glancing from left to right the trees and vegetation also seemed to grow 'darker'. More coniferous first with dark green leaves begun to appear and the oaks quickly died off. "How strange..." Hydra thought at the whole scenario, now beginning to feel a little uncomfortable with the situation he was in.

As Hydra continued to walk he noticed the stones around him turned to an onyx black color. "Obsidian?" Hydra crouched down and inspected the stone, whatever it was it wasn't obsidian. "Figures." Hydra whispered under his breath. "Still I might be able to use this." The adventurer took the stones and stored them into his pouch, whilst he was out here he may as well collect what he could for his store.

ID# 75835 results:

Loot: 15 (4 materials found)

Edited by Hydra

Despite Hydra picking up a handful of the stones it appeared these things were everywhere. "I wonder if they have something to do with the quest." Hydra commented kneeling down to pick up some more. He had only made it a mile or so down the path and was beginning to get distracted by material farming. Still it was early in the morning, dawn so to speak,  and there was a lot of time to kill today. "I guess I will keep my eyes open for more." Hydra spoke calmly, before standing up. He turned back to the way in which he came, to his own surprise it seemed the path must have curved round because all he could see now was the trail he was on. The road from earlier was no where to be seen. "I swear I have been walking in a straight line this whole time?" The spearman pondered to himself. In any case it would take to much time to go and investigate that, so he continued walking onward.

ID# 75844 results:

Loot: 17 (4 materials found)

Total Loot:

x8 [T1] Mats

Edited by Hydra

As Hydra continued down the path more of the strange looking stones appeared. "Well this is odd." The spearman pondered. As long as they were usable though he had no complaints. Storing them into his bag he looked up, it appeared not to far from his position there was some sort of graveyard. "Hmm..." The brunette wasn't a fool, he could expect a battle to be coming up, although he hadn't heard anything before about a field boss being located in such a place. Slowly and cautiously Hydra made his way to the area. The spearman's first impressions was that it was unsurprising, the trees spread outwards as the path grew wider, a black jagged fence surrounded the area. The graves themselves looked weathered and broken. As the brunette entered the area a sudden chill came over him. Statues aligned the path of various mythical beasts, a Pegasus, some sort of dragon and a centaur. Nothing immediately seemed to spring to life though. "No zombies then." Hydra mumbled.

ID# 76018 results:

Loot: 20 (4 materials found)

Total Loot:

x12 [T1] Mats

Edited by Hydra

Hydra waited a few more minutes for anything to show, however nothing appeared dangerous. Sighing in relief he relaxed his spear arm and continued through the graveyard. In the center there appeared to be some sort of canape, at least that's what he believed it to be called. It was made of white smooth stone marble and it had a very angelic presence to it all.  "I must be nearing the chur." Hydra was cut off mid sentence as a huge stone looking spear flew past his head and crashed into the marble sending splintered crystals of it everywhere. Hydra stood for a moment his face, pale and in shock. However upon realizing the danger he was in he made a dive to one side narrowly avoiding a second stone spear which had just flown above him. Peering over to the culprit it appeared the centaur statue had become animated. "Dammit how could I be so foolish." Hydra spat out standing up and turning to face the centaur. He knew this quest wouldn't be easy, but right now a couple of zombies would be far easier to take care of than this. Hydra prepared his charge skill, as the centaur prepared to shoot him once more.

_____

Hydra - 695/695 HP | 68/68 Energy | 19 Damage | 18 Regen | 0/4 HM | 3 Accuracy | -3 Evasion
Stone Centaur - 400/400 HP | 50 Mitigation | 100 Damage

Mob Effect: Crippling Shot

Spoiler

On natural MD rolls of 9-10 the Stone Centaur will shoot a large stone arrow at the players legs, applying the <stun> effect to its attack. Can only work once.

Combining his charge and merciless flurry together Hydra surged forward. The centaur readied its aim but by the time it had fully drawn its bow the spearman had reached the creature. Whirling around it he sent his spear burying deep into its stone body over and over again aiming for its legs and such. "What?!" As Hydra fell to the floor exhausted on his energy the centaur still stood strong. "How can it even draw a stone bow, this doesn't make sense." Hydra growled under his breath. In any case it appeared this thing was no more infuriated with him than before.

Reaching out for him, the centaur grasped Hydra's whole body in its cold stone hand. For a moment the spearman thought he was done for, however then the creature threw him across the cemetery with such force to break several of the grave stones. That wasn't the end of it though, as Hydra slowly staggered to his feet dazed from the ordeal, a large stone arrow cam flying towards him. With the alcohol from Sey's brownies still in his system, combined with his dazed state. There was no time to dodge.

The arrow went full force into Hydra's right leg piercing it completely and sending a plentiful amount of crystal shard flying everywhere. All the spearman could do was scream and wait for the arrow to shatter. For now that meant this thing getting in another free shot at the spearman.

ID# 76020 results:

Battle: 8+3  (hit)

<Charge> activated (+2 DMG)

SA: Merciless Flurry (12x1) = (19+2)x12 = 252 - 50 Mit = 202 DMG to Stone Centaur

MOB: 9+3 (hit)

<Crippling shot> activates = 100 DMG plus <stun> on Hydra next turn

_____

Hydra - 608/695 HP | 55/68 Energy | 19 Damage | 18 Regen | 0/4 HM | 3 Accuracy | -3 Evasion | [Regen triggers +18]
Stone Centaur - 198/400 HP | 50 Mitigation | 100 Damage

Mob Effect: Crippling Shot

Spoiler

On natural MD rolls of 9-10 the Stone Centaur will shoot a large stone arrow at the players legs, applying the <stun> effect to its attack. Can only work once.

Edited by Hydra

The second arrow came straight towards Hydra and there was little time to dodge. Gritting his teeth her prepared for the incoming missile, surely enough it hit him this time piercing his waist. "Grrrr...." The adventurer growled through the pain until the arrow eventually shattered. He was to weak to move from two successive attacks. Slowly stumbling to his feet, using a nearby grave stone to push himself up. He prepared his next sword art to seal the fate of this centaur. In his current state it'd be risky to attack any sort of field boss. The brunette would need to spend some time recovering, at least to a more stable amount of health. At the very least Hydra knew he had seen all this creatures tricks by now, it was just down to getting in a final blow.  Once again the stone centaur was beginning to string its bow. "Time to end this." Hydra proceeded to close his eyes and take in a deep breath.

ID# 76484 results:

Battle: 6 <Stunned>

MOB: 10 (hit - effect already triggered) = 100 + 2 crit DMG = 102

_____

Hydra - 522/695 HP | 55/68 Energy | 19 Damage | 18 Regen | 0/4 HM | 3 Accuracy | -3 Evasion | [Regen triggers +18]
Stone Centaur - 198/400 HP | 50 Mitigation | 100 Damage

Edited by Hydra

Hydra opened his eyes and rushed forth, 'The Water Serpent's Fang' high in the air he pierced the stone centaur multiple times. The monster didn't have time to fire back, this time choosing to swing it's bow like a club it slammed into Hydra sending him crashing into a stone pillar. As the dust settled he opened his eyes, his face a grimace of pain. It seemed the centaur had been slain. "Thank goodness that's over." He fell forward onto his knees taking in lots of large breaths. His chest still hurt but thankfully he was alive. "How much damage did it do anyway?" Slowly he raised his eyes to glance at his health bar. Thanks to the effect of regeneration it appeared to be in the light green zone. Still it would be a while before it would be back to full, now Hydra had to decide whether to face the boss or not. "Hmmm..." 

ID# 76488 results:

Battle: 10 (+2 DMG)

SA: Merciless Flurry (12x1) = (19+2)x12 = 252 - 50 Mit = 202 DMG to Stone Centaur

MOB: 5+3 (hit) 100 DMG

_____

Hydra - 440/695 HP | 44/68 Energy | 19 Damage | 18 Regen | 0/4 HM | 3 Accuracy | -3 Evasion | [Regen triggers +18]
Stone Centaur - 0/400 HP | 50 Mitigation | 100 Damage

Edited by Hydra
  • 3 weeks later...

After Hydra was done regathering himself, he once again began to make his way through the graveyard, this time with far more caution than earlier. Whilst the centaur had come to life, the other two statues remained still and solid. The brunette didn't know whether it would be so obvious as for them to activate as well,"Better to be safe than sorry..." He mumbled taking a longer walk around. The last thing he needed right now was a dragon made of stone attacking him. The graveyard had a rather steep incline after a little more walking, the eerie feel only grew worse as the trees began to shed their leaves, there branches becoming dead and dry spears of their own. "According to the information once I reach this hill I should be able to spot a church or so." Hydra briefly glanced at his health and energy, it wouldn't take long for his energy to regenerate, however, his health was another story. "Look's like I might need to go into the next battle with fresh wounds. For the time being, I will see if I can gather any more materials. Buy as much time as I can spare." 

+ 20 Health (1/3 Out of combat posts for energy)

As Hydra reached the peak of the hill, surely enough it seemed the rumors were true. In the far distance, Hydra could make out a church as clear as a light in the dark. Menacing spiked pinnacles reached into the sky, the walls stained pitch black in color. "Looks inviting." The spearman mumbled sarcastically, for a church it was very strange, then again if the only people visiting were player killers, he supposed it would be a fitting end for those who could not earn salvation. As the brunette continued along the path he kept his eyes out for any more black stones or other materials, unfortunately, nothing stood out as being craftable in his store. "How unfortunate, I suppose I will just need to keep looking." The sky had turned from daylight to a musky purple haze by now, it was odd, to say the least, thematically it all tied together, though. "To think a place like this existed on the first floor."

7622 10 6 10 5 Hydra Msg_hover2.png Material Search

(Failed search)

Total Mats: 12

+20 health (2/3 Energy posts)

Edited by Hydra

The path only seemed to grow more barren as Hydra moved along. "Ah well, guess I have no other choice than to push on now." He mumbled under his breath. The church grew ever closer and he could begin to make out more features. Not to his surprise it appeared to be barren and run-down, the brunette was never expecting to waltz into a great chapel and what not, still, this whole thing added to the eerie feel. He would do what he could to earn his salvation, and if death was the only other answer "...Then so be it." 

Flicking through his interface he bought up what information he had gathered, "So somewhere around the church, a boss will spawn, in order to become green once more I must defeat this boss. According to other rumors, the boss is depicted as an angelic being." Hydra paused scrunching his face up a little, "Makes sense I suppose."

ID# 77707 results:

Loot: 5 (no mats found)

+20 health, all energy restored.

Edited by Hydra

Hydra noticed a few more black rocks lying about as he made his way up to the spawn site. Crouching down he quickly collected them, a total of sixteen materials was certainly a victory in his eyes. For now, he would need to refocus his attention back on the boss at hand. As the spearman continued up the path he began kicking coarse gravel to one side. "My nerves are beginning to get to me," Hydra mumbled under his breath, with each step he felt the beating of his heart grow a little faster, forcing the adventurer to pause and take a few breaths. Glancing towards his health bar he had healed a decent amount, it was far off from full. "Alright you need to calm down, we just took out a centaur so we can surely take out this." His words carried little meaning as they dispersed with the wind. Shaking his head slightly the brunette looked back towards the church, another 5 minutes he'd be at its entrance. Right now he couldn't make out all that much, though, thanks to the incline he was walking up.

ID# 78090 results:

Loot: 16 (4 materials found)

Total Mats: 16
Health: +20 health

Edited by Hydra

After a few more minutes of walking Hydra finally reached the entrance to the ominous building. "Err...." He shivered a little, the entrance itself was wide open, to one side it had collapsed leaving nothing more than a pile of rubble. The rest of the building wasn't much different, as before the black jagged spikes spiraled up into the sky creating an eerie dark feel to the place. In the center strewn tapestries and chairs were sprawled across the floor, suitable to that of a medieval setting. "A little further." Hydra' mumbled, his voice bounced off the walls in the empty room, taking their time to disperse. "Alright guess I should try not to talk too much." The adventurer thought to himself sarcastically. Clambering over various objects he eventually arrived at the end of the church, a small door led out into the front courtyard which was supposedly where this boss had been sited. Slowly the brunette creaked the door open and peered outside...

• 4 weeks later...

A slight fog lingered over the front courtyard. "Hmm, straight from a horror movie." Hydra mumbled, there were signs of nothing moving so he made his way out. There was only one direction to move which was forward, as Hydra made his way his footsteps were now louder than ever, seemingly producing the rhythm similar to that of a heartbeat which echoed all around him. After a little while of walking an object in the distance and obscured by the mist began to appear. "Could it be?" The spearman whispered to himself. Pausing for a moment he took a deep breath of air in. The effects of the boozy brownies were still in play so his head wasn't as clear as it could be. With a few steps he began to edge his way forward slowly. The fog began to thin until he was met with a large statue of an angel that stood before him. It was about three times his height, two large stone wings protruded from its back and its faced masked by some sort of hood. "Reminds me of Tyrael..." The spearman mumbled thinking back to diablo. After a few seconds his orange cursor was registered and the statue suddenly shifted. Readying his charge skill all he needed to do now was kill it in a single shot.

Hydra - 540/695 55/68 Energy | 19 Damage | 18 Regen | 0/4 HM | 3 Accuracy | -3 Evasion

Redemption - 250/250 | 200 Damage

• 10 months later...

(OOC: With permission from staff I was allowed to continue this thread as it was created before the Redemption rework. A link to permission can be provided if required) 

It is said that there is nothing more deafening than silence. This had never been more true for Hydra than it was at this moment in time. It was enthralling in a way, watching this stone angel come to life. Its once ancient and frozen body now as fluid as he or any other creature that existed in this world. Slowly it withdrew its sword sound rushing back in as a groan echoed throughout the area. Hydra closed his eyes and sprung. Combining the effects of the consumable and the charge he felt the rush of energy seep into his sword art. The faint glow of the <merciless flurry> sword art ignited the Water Serpent's Fang, as the angel prepared its own swing. Hydra let it act first, the sword swept down with speed whilst he was mid-air. Hydra was just about able to throw his momentum to the left narrowly avoiding a hit, then with what speed he had remaining plunged his own weapon into Redemption's neck. A brief pause, and then once again that deafening silence, as the boss he had been weary of so much exploded into hundreds of fragments...

ID# 96019:

Battle: 9+3 (hit)
<Charge Activated + Critical> (+3 Damage)
SA: Merciless Flurry (12x1) = (19+3)x12 = 264 Damage to Redemption 

MOB: 2+3 (miss)
0 Damage to Hydra

_____
Hydra - 540/695 | 42/68 Energy | 19 Damage | 18 Regen | 0/4 HM | 3 Accuracy | -3 Evasion
Redemption - 0/250 | 200 Damage [DEAD]

Edited by Hydra

Hydra continued forward through the air before hitting the floor, staggering slightly, although managing to keep his balance with the spear. He glanced over his shoulder looking to where the angel had once stood. Only now, empty space remained. The brownies had done the trick, Hydra would have to thank Sey again for them later. Although the placebo effect of alcohol intake was a little less than desired. He inhaled deeply. Today had been eventful and it would hopefully not be long until his orange cursor turned back to green, alongside the accumulation of the various materials he had gathered, he was sure they would come useful for his shop. The spearman raised his head towards the sky. "I think its about time to head home now." He laughed lightly to himself sheathing his spear and doffing his amulet he spun around, heading back from the path he once came. 

Hydra considered looking for more materials with his gatherer skill, however he was just as eager to hand this quest in. Removing his orange cursor would mean a lot of things, he could enter the Town of Beginnings, Urbus or any other settlement for that matter and freely roam. It had been so long since he had enjoyed a good meal, or conversation with friends. Living out on the wilderness on the second floor would have been relaxing, if not for the constant fear of player killer hunters that might have stumbled across his store. The spearman understood that there had been a few on the front lines, he had been gone for so long however he was no longer sure who was even still amongst them.  Hydra walked for a few more minutes, clambering once more over the scattered objects and through the entrance of the ruined church. He pondered how long it would take before the Redemption boss would revive, for the next player seeking salvation.  

The walk back for the most part was uplifting and refreshing. Hydra was typically a pessimist by nature, however for once he felt a vibrant energy rushing through him. In the end Redemption had been far less challenging than anticipated, had he not increased his damage output however it could have easily backfired and gone the other way. He needed more power, much more in order to survive. Redemption was only one step of many and right now this nightmare was barely in its starting stages. There were what, around 80 more floors to go? How many had died was anyone's guess, it seemed there were still mountains of players in the early levels however. Hiding deep within the Town of Beginnings. The spearman was honestly not sure why he wanted to return to there of all places, it was the largest floor however it was clear that he could be of little use now. 

"Should I aim higher?" The thought was brief but consistent. Something that had been hanging in the back of his mind for a while. Hydra was not strong enough to aim for the highest floors at this point in time, however on the more intermediate levels,  perhaps his skills could be of use. In all honesty he had only headed to these areas when necessary, usually for a quest or an event. For him however most of the floors were largely unexplored. he knew the general environments but little else of the fauna and flora that lived there. Should there be any. The spearman continued to mull over the possibilities. In comparison to the first ten floors they were far less attractive, some covered in total darkness, others nothing but swamp and marshland. He supposed the sixteenth floor was a possibility, it was compromised majorly of a volcanic chain, with some forests and a vast ocean. His main issue was that he had never really liked heat for prolonged periods of time. Rain and Snow were Hydra's favourites.  

Hydra continued to reflect on his choices for a while. Above head a light rain began to form, the temperature of the first floor dropping to something slightly colder. Hydra allowed the water to soak his wavy hair, flattening it out to the point it was almost straight. It was funny how ones appearance could change so much, all dependant on the style of there hair. His blue eyes as per usual were as clear as day.

Like most others a part of Hydra wished to return to reality, he could not deny he preferred his avatar. For the most part it was the same, just a little more... attractive. He stood a few inches taller, his eyes wider and face a little less rounded. Ultimately it was still him however and he still found that he favoured his left-hand to his right. "Somethings never change." He spoke out into the air, the end of the path coming into view.