[F6 - SP] The Gemini - Shadow Shield [Completed]

Spoiler

<<The Gemini>>

This quest takes place on Floor 6

This quest is not repeatable
This RP will not count in the benchmark.

YuUVe9a.jpg?1

An NPC with no name appears before you when you are adventuring. He challenges you to a friendly duel and promises magnificent rewards if you win. However, once you begin the duel, you realize that it is a duel to the death! His name appears and he is revealed to be the Gemini, and then he transforms into you. He has the same HP and skills as you. If you win the duel and kill the Gemini, you gain the skill of <<Concentration>> if you roll a 1-17 on your loot die at the end of the battle. This adds a +1 to the attack it is used for, but has a 5 turn cooldown period. If you roll and 18-20, you can the <<Disguise>> skill. It temporarily transforms you into the other enemy, giving you a +1 on your combat die and them a -1 on their next action. It only during your and his turn, and can only be used once every twelve turns.

Good luck Players!

Requirements:

-RP must be at least [2]  (21 or more posts)
-This RP is SP only
-Must defeat Gemini

Gemini Information:

The Gemini has all your skill levels and your HP, but uses a vanity version of your equipment without the enhancements (though skill bonuses and mods, still apply). The Gemini uses sword arts too, so their base will be multiplied using your mid tier weapon rank multiplied. Use this table for an exact amount to use.

Your Weapon rank Gemini Damage Multiplier
0 1
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5

*Note: The Gemini has no energy bar so with every successful hit he will use a Sword art dealing the above mentioned damage (its base damage * your weapon rank)

Rewards:

1. You will be gifted with the extra skill <<Concentration>> if your final post completing the battle has a loot die roll of 1-17, or <<Disguise>> if your loot die roll is 18-20.
  2. You will gain 3 Skill Points

This RP is SP only
Recommended Level: 6

Shield:

Spoiler
Basic Stats

Lv 17 HP 340 Tier 1                                                                                                                                                                                 
  DMG 5 LD 4 SP 45  
  ACC 0     Spent 36  
  EVA 0     Remaining 9  
  MIT 25          
  NRG 34          
        Thorns 14 dmg Blight 12 dmg on 9-10 BD    

Shadow Shield

Spoiler

HP: 340, DMG: 3, Multiplier: x 1

It was odd for Shield to receive requests for business outside of the shop, but the item in question was one that would sell for quite a lot of money. After all, it was his only unique enhancement in stock, and it was on an already potent weapon. He banished his shield in order to make room in his hands to inspect the weapon. The haft was plain, made of a dark oak and sanded to a fine, semi-glossy surface. The tip, however, had a more sinister look to it. Then again, perhaps it was not the look itself, since it was merely a spade shaped blade with a crossbar below the head. Still, there was something that twisted in the pit of Shield's stomach as his dark eyes regarded the piercing end of the pole arm.

There at the edge of Amazon, among the cascade of stones, stood a cloaked figure. Immediately, Shield was on edge. Teleport crystal in hand, he approached. The closer he got, the more his eyes narrowed. On top of the odd circumstances and asking to meet outside of a safe zone, Shield could not see the player's cursor.

Did they find a way to conceal it? If that's the case, it's almost certainly orange. There's no reason an innocent player would have any need to hide it.

He stopped, just outside of the field of stones.

"This is as far as I come," Shield called out. "If you want the weapon, you'll need to come over here to negotiate."

Edited by Shield
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hood turned to face Shield, and from beneath its shade, he thought he could make out a sneer above the scruff-framed chin.

"Ever the cautious one, are we?" hissed the stranger.

The hairs on the back of Shield's neck stood on end, and he instinctively took a step back. Something about the voice was unnatural and familiar.

"Suits me just fine. I knew as much before I contacted you... Raynor."

Shield bristled at the use of his real name. It was a name that nobody in a game had ever called him, and it seemed so alien here in SAO. His fingers tightened around the spear, the other hand still wrapped around the teleportation crystal.

"How do you know that name?" Shield called out, his eyes nearly slits as he squinted into the stranger's hood.

"Simple," answered the hooded figure, taking a few more slow steps towards Shield. "Because it should be mine."

In the little bit of the stranger's face that he could see beneath the hood, a clear and wicked grin took shape.

"And I intend to take it from you."

Without warning, the figure bounded forward, summoning an identical spear to the one that Shield clenched. As he sprinted, his hood fell back, revealing matted dark hair, a strong jaw, and a familiar scar. A rush of cold fear knifed into his stomach as if injected by a syringe, and in that moment, he froze.

Edited by Shield

Combat

Spoiler

ID# 76172 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 3 - Miss

Gemini: 340/340 - MOB: 3 - Miss

The anomaly before him struck the crystal out of Shield's hand, whipping his spear up and overhead to slash at the tank's face. Suddenly, his hood down and being close enough to see properly, a cursor was now visible, but it was neither orange nor green. Shield regained himself, clashing the crossbar of his spear against the point of the offending weapon.

"Red?" he exclaimed. "You're a mob!"

He pushed the weapon away and took a coiled stance, his legs bend and ready to strike. Memories came flooding back to him as he sized up his attacker. Information brokers whispering about strangers who assault players who end up being their dark dopplegangers. However, as he remembered, he also felt a smirk play at the corner of his own lips.

"I know what you are," Shield growled. "And it was a mistake challenging me under these circumstances."

"Oh? No, I don't think it was," quipped back the double. "I have you right where I want you."

Edited by Shield

Combat:

Spoiler

ID# 76173 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 1 - Miss

Gemini: 340/340 - MOB: 9 - Hit! 3 + 2 = 5 -24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg

Shield struck at the foe as the doppleganger's life bar materialized, capped by the words 'The Gemini.' His attack fell wide.

Fitting name.

The so-named Gemini lunged forward, knocking Shield's weapon aside and plunging the head of the spear deep into his chest. His wicked grin spread even further to overtake his entire face, creeping into the wrinkles that formed around his eyes.

"Who's making the mistake no-" began his double, but his grin vanished.

Shield's health bar had not moved.

"You have no attack prowess," Shield said, his tone menacing as he walked forward further into the point of the spear. "All of your items are mere shadows of the ones I hold. That means the only things you have to throw at me are your non-existent sword arts."

His eyes narrow, he glanced down at the spear and then back up at his now panicked reflection.

"Still think this wasn't a mistake?"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76176 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 10 - Hit! 5 + 2crit

Gemini: 333/340 - MOB: 1 - Miss

With a sweep of the unique weapon's haft, Shield knocked its counterfeit aside. The bladed tip began to radiate a black, hateful aura, and with a quick, well-aimed thrust, he buried the blackened weapon into his double exactly as it had done to him a moment ago. This time, however, the recipient's health bar dropped and did not replenish.

"Wha- How!?" stammered the duplicate Shield.

"I told you," Shield responded, his eyes cold and disdainful as he regarded his baffled enemy. "Your equipment is only there for looks. All you have left his hit points, and although there are a lot of them, I'm going to chip away at them until there's nothing left of you but red particle effects and bad memories!"

Taking one step, then another, Shield began to back the impostor up, pinning him against one of the massive stones at the edge of the jungle clearing. The two locked their eyes together, neither wanting to be the first one to blink.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76181 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 9 - Hit! 5 + 1crit

Gemini: 315/340 - MOB: 2 - Miss (Blight: -12 -reset- Remaining rounds: 2)

The fake Shield planted one foot against the stone and pushed back, managing to push his assailant off of him, but as he attempted to regain his footing, he stumbled, taking an extra side-step to keep his feet beneath him. Shield, sensing his opponent was still off-balance, pressed the attack. The Gemini brought up his spear to block, but as he did so, the wound left from the hateful weapon began to emanate the same toxic aura as the weapon and he winced, delaying his defense.

Shield's attack found a home right beside the first, both wounds standing out prominently on the impostor's chest. Spitting with rage, the wounded figure hunched and prepared to counter-attack, but Shield dodged quickly to the side, catching his attacker in the back of the knee with the butt of his spear.

"Curse you," growled the enraged shadow-Shield. "When I get my hands on you-"

"You'll what?" Shield barked back.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76185 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 4 - Miss

Gemini: 289/340 - MOB: 6 - Hit! - 3dmg - 24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg (Blight: -12 Remaining rounds: 1 - Thorns: 14 dmg)

The mirage ground its teeth, grimacing at Shield. It was difficult to tell what was more infuriating to the phantom: the fact that it was losing, or the fact that its ability to frighten had be ghosted away so soon into the battle.

"Hold still and find out," it answered, a stinging hatred packaged in every embittered word.

It charged, shrieking at the top of its lungs. This might have intimidated some, but the more it raged, the more Shield could tell that this thing was him in aesthetic only. He complied with the thing's request, holding his arms out to accept the charge. The tip of the spear lodged itself in Shield's side, but even as the attack connected and sank into him, his own health bar remained steadfast while his attacker's depleted slightly, the barbs of his armor having grazed its arm.

It leaped back, nursing the flowing font of red that issued from the back of its forearm.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76197 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 8 - Hit! - 5 dmg

Gemini: 258/340 - MOB: 7 - Hit! - 3dmg - 24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg (Blight: -12 Remaining rounds: 0 - Thorns: 14 dmg)

Shield could practically hear the teeth of his opponent grinding as the two stared each other down. His own dark eyes were calm and set, unwaivering from their target. His foe's were blazing with hatred, the deep-set lines of anger spider-webbing out from around them. With a scream, the doppleganger charged, leading with the point of its spear as Shield readied his own in retort.

Like a clash of jousting knights, both points sunk into their targets. While the blighted effects had faded, leaving the owner's chest unmarked, the health gauge continued to deplete with each strike. Cursing in frustration, it dove and rolled away, coming back to a standing position with the point of its spear up to ward off any offense.

"How are you so much stronger than me!?" it bellowed, Shield's untidy hair ruffling in the wake of his howling words and falling back into place between sentences. "I'm you!"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76202 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 2 - Miss

Gemini: 244/340 - MOB: 6 - Hit! - 3dmg - 24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg (Thorns: 14 dmg)

Shield lowered the point of his spear, giving the impostor a stern look. It did not react, continuing to glower at Shield past the tip of his copycat weapon.

"You are a carbon footprint," he replied calmly. "You are an image. A leaf rubbing. The game merely copied my voice and my likeness from its database and stretched that skin over the skeleton of my game stats."

He looked the thing up and down with a glazed look, almost as if he were not actually seeing what was before him.

"You are quick to anger, you are petty, and you lack any of the judgment that I possess," Shield went on, frowning at the thing that was masquerading as him. "You most certainly do not possess my strategic acumen. Look at yourself. You're losing this fight outright, but your AI won't even allow you the option to run, despite your cleverness at conversation."

"Shut up!" it screamed, charging in headlong.

Again, Shield lifted the point of his spear, but with so little intent that the attacker slipped right past it. The oncoming spear buried itself half way into Shield's body, its owner cutting itself once again on the thorny armor.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76203 results:

Battle: 2 - miss (29 NRG)

MOB: 10 - 5 dmg - 24 mit =  1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg

The Gemini roared, pulling its spear out and thrusting with redoubled intensity and fervor. The point found the spot where Shield's heart would have been, but once again, his health bar did not budge. The fight was futile for the computerized foe, but as Shield had guessed, it did not retreat, nor did it show any intent to do so.

Enough of this. Time to start fighting back.

With a push of his spear's butt, he unskewered himself and crouched low, focusing on his opponent before his next attack.

The hard part is, as much as I outdo him on potential for damage and my ability to defend, he's still a tank, just like me. He has a lot more health to go, and it won't be simple killing him...

The clone was not content, even his better of the two attacks having not even registered. It continued swiping with the tip of its spear, growling with each strike. Shield parried each, defending with the crossbar of his own weapon.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76205 results:

Battle: 4 - miss (28 NRG)

MOB: 10 - 5 dmg - 24 Mit =  1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg

The blind rage of the doppelganger was making its attacks harder to parry as its cries mounted, echoing through the trunks of the trees.

"Die! Die! Die! DIE!"

With a heave of its body, the tip of its spear slipped beyond Shield's crossbar and into his temple, leaving a gash of red that blinded him momentarily just due to the particle effects.

"Got you, you smug son of-"

But even before it could finish celebrating, the copycat Shield stopped, its triumph melting into rage. Shield's health had held exactly at its maximum, not having deviated from full even in the face of such a precise, devastating attack.

"I keep telling you," Shield said, blinking as the wound closed. "You're based off of my stats, not my gear. I don't have any damage on my own to overcome the defenses I have in place. It's pointless. You should stop fighting and accept your fate."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76206 results:

Battle: 1 - miss (27 NRG)

MOB: 3 - miss

"Never!" shrieked The Gemini, as it launched another offensive.

The sounds of combat rang through the forest, each drive of a spear met with the clang of a crossbar or the thud of a handle. Neither gained any ground as they exchanged blow after blow.

I underestimated the tenacity of a program whose sole purpose is to overcome an identical opponent. I'll have to find other ways to demoralize it. Simple observations of fact don't seem to have any effect.

This was more easily said than done. It clearly looked like him, right down to his most hated feature: his scar. Still, it lacked his ability to reason, which made the copy seem so hollow. Without his mind, how could this thing purport to be him?

Its motivation is too simple. It doesn't seem to be programmed to win so much as to fight no matter what. How do you dissuade something like that?

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76212 results:

Battle: 1 - miss (26 NRG)

MOB: 4 - miss

The point of the false Shield's spear drove forward, thrust after thrust, each time attempting to put a chink into the so far impenetrable armor of the real thing. With each strike, however, the tank was able to drive the point away. His own attacks proved just as fruitless, the copy denying each retort, and back and forth the battle rage.

What do I have to do to wear it down? It seems to have limitless energy.

At the thought of energy, Shield glanced over at his own energy gauge, which was slowly depleting. While his thorns would continue to work even in the absence of attacking, he needed to keep up the pressure if this battle was to have any hopes of ending any time soon. This war of attrition needed to see a turning of the tides.

Unfortunately, he was still coming up blank. The merciless program continued unabated, despite the foreknowledge that its best and most devastating attacks had yielded no results.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76213 results:

Battle: 1 - Miss (25 NRG)

MOB: 3 - Miss

By now, the attacks of the doppelganger were becoming robotic, as if the actual individuality of the projection were wearing off and it was reverting to its most basic form. The personality was draining from it. Each attack pattern identical to the one before it.

If I give it too easy of a time, it can take its time and make a precise strike, avoiding the damage from my armor. I have to use its repetitions against it. Force it to make difficult decisions about when to attack and strike when it's least advantageous. Bait it, so to speak.

This was no simple task. Shield tried leaving small openings, not defending his shoulder or leaving his legs open. This was only resulting in the enemy missing altogether. He tried making attacks to goad it, striking at the weaker points in its defense in an attempt to agitate it, but this proved equally productive.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76214 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 5 - Miss

Gemini: 230/340 - MOB: 8 - Hit! - 3dmg - 24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg (Thorns: 14 dmg)

This isn't working. It's been stalemated for too long.

He stepped back, trying to give himself some room to think. As he did so, The Gemini lunged, growling with a fierce intensity as it stabbed into Shield's shoulder. The strike was solid, but sloppy, and as the spear's head slashed through him, the hand that guided it collided with Shield's shoulder, opening a gash along its side.

For the first time in a very long stretch of attacks and parries and deflections, someone's health gave an inch. This was all the enlightenment Shield needed. He continued to retreat, forcing his opponent to extend further and further with his attacks.

"Come on," Shield taunted. "I thought you were supposed to be me! I wouldn't be this cowardly. Come at me already! Show me what I'm made of!"

Another strike assailed him, this one aimed at his head. He deflected it and stepped back yet again, feeling behind him as we went, his feet having to inch along the thick, matted floor of decomposing foliage.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76215 results:

Battle: 3

MOB: 5

With the success of a recent blood fresh on his mind, Shield's mind began to race, plotting how to set up his embittered attacker for the next hit. As he continued to shuffle back, however, his foot came up short. He turned his head and found himself face to face with a great stone pillar. He had navigated too far back towards the gathering of stones.

I need to get back to flat ground.

The glint of his opponent's spear caught his eye, and he ducked just in time for the point to clang against the stone surface behind him. The doppelganger stood there, leaning its full weight onto the point of its spear. Shield swung the back end of his own spear up, knocking it away so that the false threat stumbled, its balance compromised.

Shield spun around behind it and swept this time with the head of his spear, catching the crossbar on The Gemini's ankle and knocking it prone. It was his turn to strike now, leaning onto his own spear as he thrust downward just as his opponent rolled aside.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76217 results:

Gemini: 211/340 - MOB: 8 - Hit! - 3dmg - 24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg (Thorns: 14 dmg)

Pressing his advantage, Shield chased after his rolling adversary. He pushed his weight behind his next strike, which the impostor Shield attempted to block. It was partially successful. The haft of the spear caught Shield's cross guard, but the force from the attack snapped the defensive handle in half, its point only somewhat slowed as it dug into the target's shoulder.

Enraged and confused at the malfunctioning of its weapon, The Gemini struck back, not even bothering to stand before attempting to retaliate. In its blind anger, it misjudged the distance, striking more with its hand and the broken piece of handle than with the point. Again, Shield's health remained steadfast while his opponents dwindled yet closer to the yellow.

"Why won't you die?" it screamed up at him, spittle flying from between its teeth.

"That's a question you need to ask yourself," Shield replied in an intentionally smug tone. "Why ARE you unable to harm me, let alone kill me?"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76218 results:

Gemini: 192/340 - MOB: 6 - Hit! - 3dmg - 24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg (Thorns: 14 dmg)

That touched a nerve. The false image of Shield contorted its face in rage and scrambled to its feet, flailing at Shield with its fist, the broken spear clenched in its fingers more of an afterthought than anything. As its fist collided over and over again with the armored body of its opponent, red welts appeared both on the fist and the chest. The difference was that the glowing red impact points on the chest were disappearing. Those on the offending knuckles were not, and for that matter were glowing a much brighter red.

"Curse you, foul thing you," it hissed, continuing to pound at Shield with all of its might. "I will make you bleed! I will make you hurt! I will make you di-"

It stopped, its eyes on its hand, which had just impaled itself on the spear that Shield had held out to catch it.

"Miserable wretch," it shrieked, pulling its hand free.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76220 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 5 - Miss (22 NRG)

Gemini: 178/340 - MOB: 8 - Hit! - 3dmg - 24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg (Thorns: 14 dmg)

"Me the wretch?" Shield scoffed. "Look at you. You're pathetic! Look at the uselessness of your attacks! You don't even have a proper weapon now!'

Both fists were now hammering down on Shield's chest with all of their might. He help himself still, jarring slightly under each impact, but keeping his eyes on The Gemini.

"Be quiet," it roared, slamming both fists at once against Shield's chest.

He did not budge, his cold eyes merely regarding the creature that continued to insist upon trying to win the day in the face of overwhelming odds.

I suppose that some might call me stubborn, especially Beat, and even more especially, my ex wife. Still, this goes beyond stubbornness. This is lunacy.

Shield tried to retort with his own spear, but his foe was too close. All he managed was to push the thing back several feet with the haft of the spear. However, as soon as there was no longer any pressure against it, his lesser half was already on him again, flailing with its fists.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76221 results:

Shield: 340/340 - Battle: 5 - Miss (21 NRG)

Gemini: 164/340 - MOB: 6 - Hit! - 3dmg - 24 Mit = 1 dmg - 27 Regen = 0 dmg (Thorns: 14 dmg)

Again, Shield tried to repel the thing, but it pushed right back in as soon as he attempted to swing his spear back around to strike.

"For gods sake, man, pull yourself together and fight with some dignity," Shield scolded. "Don't just flail and cry because the battle isn't going your way. I'm actually getting mad."

The Gemini sneered sardonically at him.

"Don't like being unable to fight back?" it teased amidst a hail of fruitless fists.

"What I don't like is how pathetic you make me look," Shield barked back at the thing, making it flinch as he did so. "I don't lose my head in battle like that, and I do not flail like a hapless child if my fight becomes a losing battle. I beat an expeditious retreat if necessary, but I do not merely throw myself at a wall and cry when the wall refuses to give. And at this point, it's time to acknowledge that the wall is beating you."

Shield pointed. Sure enough as the thorns continued to drive into the falling fists, the health bar of the doppelganger crossed the threshold into the yellow.

Edited by Shield