{SP-F6} The Definition of Strength

When Domarus had completed the calming the soul quest he had received the second of the four extra skills.  This one he discovered regenerated one point of energy per rank upon a battle craft chance.  Once maxed out, upon activation he would automatically regenerate five points of energy when in combat.  This would prove useful against bosses with high health and tanks, of course Domarus needed to max it out first.  Right now he was focused on damage, which he would need to get the rank five ferocity, acrobatics and the damage banner he had heard about first.  Once he did he'd max out charge and his damage would be perfect.  If he somehow managed to get his hands on a demonic, or even better, a unique skill that would be ultimately perfect.  However the chances of that happening were low.  Which was why he needed to focus on skills he could get reasonably.  Although, if there was a unique skill that he was capable of using in the hands of another player, perhaps he could manipulate a situation, as well as the player with the help of potions and deception, so that he could eliminate them without worry of a red cursor.  There would be suspicion of course and someone would track him down, but this world didn't have fingerprints or security cameras, making murders and eliminations rather easy.  He needed a skill that would increase his damage or multiplier in someway for it to be useful for him.  But for now he'd work on quests.  This quest had a skill that he heard about and it was more probable that it would be far more useful to him than the meditation skill.  Concentration.

• 4 weeks later...

He had done some research of course and found that there was a mod called precision that increased his accuracy by one point at all times.  However it would take skill points to purchase it and he wished to max out his damage first.  After his damage was maxed out, then he'd get it.  So for now Concentration would need to work for the moment.  Already the three accuracy slots helped him hit most enemies.  It was rare that he missed at all.  On top of that his base damage was fourteen, granting him great damage.  Using the two damage consumables would bring it up to twenty six damage.  Once he maxed out charge of course, he'd deal far more damage than that.  Along with his current damage he had his equipment.  His Hopebreaker set.  The general part of his armor was mainly mitigation, rounding up to a total fifty four mitigation.  Once he maxed out his heavy armor he'd have eighty four instead.  He wasn't a tank obviously, but he'd have decent mitigation alongside his damage.  His gauntlets he wasn't sure about.  Originally he planned to give them unique enhancements but so far it didn't seem likely to happen.  He might add an enhancement to the gauntlets with Essence of Steel at some point.

He began to walk through the forest, keeping an eye out for a boss of some sorts.  Whether it be a humanoid or a monster, he would destroy it.  The combination of his raw power with the two handed battle ax, as well as his familiar and equipment.  He was told that this boss gained strength from a player's level, so he had decided to do this quest here and now rather than later.  And while he may have acquired the meditation skill, it was useless until he applied skill points into it.  However he needed to work on his damage more before that could happen.  Porvós slithered around and searched for any materials Domarus could possibly use.  As it did it caught a particularly peculiar scent in the middle of the air.  Porvós raised it's head heigh and flicked it's tongue in and out, attempting to detect where the scent was trailing from.  Rhozarth noticed Porvós' odd action and took flight, catching Domarus' attention as well.  Rhozarth flew into the trees, glowing bright as it's flames burned, casting out the shadows until it could find the source of whatever Porvós had caught.  Soon enough Rhozarth spotted it and gave out a cry.
     "Alright whoever you are, get out where I can see you!"

ID#  81017  LD:  11

Edited by Domarus

Domarus stood there with Keres behind him, Porvós on the ground flicking it's tongue out, still trying to figure out what the scent was exactly and Rhozarth sat on a branch waiting to see who would appear.  Domarus continued to stare into the woods until the figure in hiding soon realized that Domarus would not be backing down.  He knew someone was there so the figure decided it wasn't worth the trouble.  The figure emerged from the woods and Domarus detected immediately that the figure was an npc, not a player.  The figure was a man with brown hair and blue eyes.  The npc's outfit was very common and normal, something you'd see any day.  The man smiled shyly but Domarus didn't back down.
     "Aha, my apologies, I get nervous when players walk along the path.  Some have tried to kill me so I try to be cautious."  Domarus' eyes narrowed as the npc had mentioned players.  Npcs weren't supposed to have awareness that players existed.  They were supposed to think that the false world around them was real and that players were a part of it.  So why was this one different?  And Domarus didn't recall male npc's existing on the sixth floor.  What the hell was going on.  The npc continued to smile but with far more confidence.
     "Actually that's only half true.  After being attacked so many times I learned how to fight back.  I'd like to test my skills and see how well I'd do against one of you players.  Would you mind if we had a quick spar?"  Domarus scoffed.
     "You're not worth the time.  I could find low leveled players stronger than you."  He was about to walk away when the npc crossed the line.
     "It would be a shame if the world found out you were a coward.  That you'd back down from a challenge!"  Domarus stopped and turned around.
     "You want a fight?  Fine.  This will be over in a moment."  

Domarus drew his two handed battle ax slowly, letting the dark red glow pulse slowly off of the black metal of the blade before gripping it tightly with two hands.  He positioned himself in a dueling stance but the way he did it was in an intimidating manner.  The black, spiked armor, the two handed black battle ax that pulsed it's dark red glow from the details on the blade, as well as the glowing red visor, all added to the intimidation factor.  However it was designed to frighten players, since npcs were not usually effected by a fear effect.  With the last player he fought however, she seemed affected by the armor, at least a little bit that is.  When he maximized his damage he'd need to find a player to test it on.  His only wish was that thorns would deal more damage.  At this rate it might be worth it to change his gear up a little more to something else.  He just wished that there were other enhancements that added on his damage other than the unique enhancements which seemed impossible to get, let alone the ones you wanted.  The npc grinned and chuckled at Domarus' actions.  
     "Well alright then.  Thank you for accepting.  Now if only you could accept it for real."  With that his menu popped up with the challenge as if he was challenging another player.  Domarus narrowed his eyes behind the helmet.  This was obviously a trap.  No doubt there was more to this npc than meets the eye.  However this could also be a one time duel the npc was programmed to do, which would mean that he should seize the chance of extra experience points.  This could also be the quest he'd been hearing about.  If it was then he would not back down.  Porvós was watching the exchange but was, at the same time, looking for materials.  Unfortunately it didn't find anything.  Domarus decided and pressed accept.

ID#  81712  LD:  10

Edited by Domarus

The npc's grin grew, showing more devious and dark corrupted intentions that it had been withholding.  It's eyes revealed a malice desire to slay and kill.  The npc started chuckling.

"Well then.  Now that you've accepted my duel to the death, I think I'll give you a moment or two to write out your will before I take you down."  Domarus' suspicion was confirmed with the npc's words.  The npc was here to kill players, not to duel them and test it's strength.  Or was it testing it's own strength?  It could be programmed to take on players in order to improve itself.  If that were the case he wondered if the information remained if the npc died.  Domarus was unfazed by the fact that this was a fight to the death and stared back at the npc.
     "A fight to the death doesn't faze me.  And I can only assume now that you are the npc related to a certain quest I had taken up.  It's unusual otherwise for such a thing as this to occur.  And if you're the npc from this quest then I needed to find and kill you regardless so you've essentially made this day easier for me.  Once again, this won't take very long."  The npc laughed darkly at Domarus' words.  
     "While it may be true that I'm the npc you've been looking for, that cocky comment about it being easy to kill me was dead wrong.  You see I'm not like other npcs in any way.  I don't have a set stat.  I don't have set equipment.  My stats and gear is all based on my power and ability.  Which you'll be seeing in a moment."  The npc grinned and Domarus watched as the skin morphed.  The npc's body grew in size and apparent strength.  His eyes shifted from blue to red, and the brown hair shifting into red as well.  The man's pathetic lightweight day clothes started to change into metal, becoming heavier, thicker, and covering the man's entire body.  The man's mischievous grin was soon blocked by a helmet with a glowing red visor.  A long staff that he had been holding transformed into a black two handed battle ax.  The npc had transformed into Domarus.

The npc gave a dark and evil chuckle, as if he had already won the battle before it had even started.  Domarus knew otherwise however.  He observed as a flaming dragon emerged from the forest.  However the flames were darker than they should have been, indicating that this npc managed to duplicate his familiar as well.  Domarus wasn't sure how much of his stats and skills had been copied but it couldn't be the full amount, otherwise the quest would prove too difficult for any who didn't want a death wish.  Regardless this might be a bit more interesting than he originally believed.  Keres had gasped at first, looking at the two armored demon like warriors who looked the same, then the two familiars.  Even their stances were exactly the same.  Domarus how ever seemed to have a brighter colored visor on his helmet, and the other one was hazy, hard to focus on.
     "So you look like me.  That does not mean you're as strong as me fool.  I dare you to hit me with your best shot.  Come on, hit me!"  The Gemini chuckled with a deep and metallic voice just like Domarus'.
     "Oh I will, don't doubt it.  However before I do, know that my name is the Gemini.  And I have killed many like yourse-"

Stats
Domarus - 580 HP  58 EN  3 ACC  2 TRN  54 MIT  14 DMG
Gemini - 580 HP  3 ACC  25 raw DMG

The gemini had no chance to speak as Domarus had shot forward with surprising speed and slammed the butt of his ax against the monster with enough force to push him back a little bit.  The only reason he didn't go flying off was most likely because Domarus, whom the gemini had mimicked, was incredibly strong and relentless.  The gemini stood there now, his weapon on the defensive at the moment as he stared back at Domarus.
     "I said hit me.  And you talked.  You wasted your chance."  The gemini began to growl in frustration and rage before shooting forward himself with the same speed and ferocity.  Domarus however was far more prepared than the gemini had been when he'd been charged at.  He waited until the right moment before swinging his blade which had rested near the ground at the Gemini's own weapon, hooking his blade around his opponent's, locking them together.  He then pulled the weapon out of the gemini's hand and flipped his weapon around in the process, tossing the weapon aside and rammed the butt of his weapon yet again into the gemini before flipping the ax one last time to activate screw dimension and dealing massive damage to the fool.

Spoiler

ID#  81719  BD:  3+3=9  MD:  1  Sword art used:  Screw Dimension=  x13  -13

Domarus:  580/580  HP  |  45/58  EN
Gemini:  
398/580  HP  182 dmg

Edited by Domarus

The gemini recovered really quickly from the overall beating that he just took but his health bar remained the same.  Gemini wished he could have copied the player's attack stats because this player was about to annihilate him with barely any effort.  Gemini would need to come up with a better strategy than the one it was using.  Domarus hadn't stopped moving however.  After his attack he moved in to strike again, seeking to demolish the gemini swiftly.  However the boss refused to be destroyed so easily.  He swung his huge ax in an uppercut that curved in towards the torso so that when Domarus tried to dodge the attack he was struck by it instead.  The player however had slammed the gemini's ax with his gauntlet and Gemini felt a pang of damage inflict his health.  Thorns.  
     "Well well, AI do learn from their mistakes it seems.  It's far too late for you however."  Domarus let his right hand go and punched the Gemini in the face, or helmet rather, forcing it to withdraw it's attack and then released Screw Dimension a second time, dragging it's health down even further.  One more hit along with another strike from thorns would end the boss.  What to do with the rest of his time was the real question.

Spoiler

ID#  82181  BD:  7  MD:  5+3=8

Domarus:  579/580  HP  -25-54=1 dmg-|  32/58  EN
Gemini:  
188/580  HP  -14x13=182 dmg

Edited by Domarus

The Gemini slowly got back up to it's feet.  As it did Domarus saw the time on his hud.  He had much time to kill so he figured he may as well spread this out a little bit longer.  He waited for the monster to get up to it's feet before he grabbed it and threw the gemini again.  The armored figure grunted as he hit a large tree, slumping back down again.
     "This is pitiful.  You're honestly the boss that I'm supposed to slay here?  Are you really all there is to this quest?  Even Keres could probably take you down."  He walked over to the falsified image and crouched down to it's level, his glowing visor piercing the other one's.  
     "This is more boring than my morning workouts.  Give me a challenge for once will you?"  The gemini growled before thrusting the blade of it's ax into Domarus.  His health dropped by one point and he sighed.  This was utterly pathetic.  No wonder so many have beaten this stupid quest.  Domarus took a step back and released the sword art Dynamic Violence, dealing less than he would have and keeping the gemini's health from hitting zero...  For the moment at least.  After this he might as well fight a few more monsters.  He had the time and he could always use the experience and col.  Especially the col for the plans he had in mind.  However experience and materials were far more important at the current time.

Spoiler

ID#  82437  BD:  10  MD:  4+3=7

Domarus:  578/580  HP  -25-54=1 dmg-|  24/58  EN
Gemini:  
20/580  HP  -14+2x3x3+24=168 dmg-

Edited by Domarus

The gemini looked at it's health then back up to Domarus.  He did not need to see past it's helmet to know that it was both confused and angry.  The stupid boss was just that.  Stupid.  It's damage output was pathetic.  It's defense nonexistent.  It could copy his skills apparently, but none of his stats other than health.  And health without mitigation was pointless.  The gemini of course would say something before Domarus crushed it's digital life once again.  After all, he had been destroyed by a great many players throughout the time of Aincrad.  Since this pathetic mob was so easy to beat, anyone could do it.
     "Why.  Didn't you strike, me, down?  Did you seriously want to gloat over me, that much?!"  Domarus scoffed.
     "No.  You're not worth it.  I'm simply making this last a bit longer so that I have something to do you piece of s***."  The gemini growled and roared it's defiance, shoving the massive player off of him and swinging it's ax a thousand times over, still only dealing one piece of damage.
     "I WILL NOT JUST LET YOU TEAR ME DOWN LIKE SOME SORT OF BUG BENEATH YOUR HEEL YOU HEAR ME?!"  Domarus grunted.
     "Oh really?  Lot of talk who hasn't dealt more than three points of damage to me." 

Spoiler

ID#  82994  BD:  1  MD:  10

Domarus:  577/580  HP  -25-54=1 dmg-|  24/58  EN
Gemini:  
20/580  HP  --

Edited by Domarus

A critical hit was the only reason his thorns hadn't killed the npc already.  Gemini was a truly stupid and weak boss.  Stupid for him since he knew what it really was and thus would shatter this petty facade of a boss without a care of it's appearance, and weak in the sense that it's damage couldn't even match a fourth of his own strength.  Truly, this fight was like fighting the dark elf from the worn out welcome quest over a longer period of time.  No challenge at all.  If the boss had enough damage to at least break through his mitigation then it would be interesting.  However it didn't and thus this fight would now come to an end.  The Gemini roared in hatred as it struck at him again but this time the Gemini would hit the spikes on his armor and receive thorns damage, appearing to be stunned.  As it's health hit zero Domarus' visor flashed.
     "The weak are quelled, wether by the works of the strong, or their own doing by refusing to get stronger and stand on their own two feet.  Even after I come to rule this will always be a fact.  Those who are protected become lazy and weak.  The weak fall.  This is a fact of life that will never cease you fool.  Now perish."  The gemini growled and fell to it's knees as it slowly began to break to crystals.
     "You, go to, hell..."  And with that pathetic statement the boss shattered and vanished into the void, leaving Domarus victorious.

Spoiler

ID#  82992  BD:  4+3=7  MD:  3+3=6  LD:  10

Domarus:  576/580  HP  -25-54=1 dmg-|  24/58  EN
Gemini:  
0/580  HP  -24 thorns damage-

Edited by Domarus

The typical congratulations sign had emerged above Domarus, and the rewards menu emerged as well.  Apparently he had received the concentration skill as well as some experience.  That made three out of four, however he didn't really care about the martial arts skill.  He knew the basics of martial arts and would use it to disarm his opponents, not use it as his main damage output.  No, he would simply take the quest for the experience, which meant that if he assisted another player with it, then he'd get nothing more than the experience.  Regardless of that, he now had a way to add an additional accuracy point to his attacks.  With it he had a low chance of missing at all, unless his target had evasion.  If that were the case then precision would be needed.  However he'd wait till after Charge to get precision.  For now he'd focus on getting ferocity for all out damage output.  Now that Keres was an alchemist, once she had reached rank two she'd be able to craft him damage potions as well as mitigation ones.  Of course this meant they'd need to take trips to the higher level floors to gather materials.  Perhaps he could search while teaching Sakoda a lesson or two.  She did ask him to become her mentor after all.  Domarus decided to go ahead and look around but he didn't see anything at first.  While Keres approached, he switched from his armor to his casual wear and equipped his LD item.

ID#  83444  LD:  13  0 MAT total

Edited by Domarus

Without his armor he was able to move far more easily and was a bit more comfortable.  With the armor switched out with the trinket, he was now able to focus on other matters.  Keres walked up to him a little bored like.
     "Well that was no fun at all.  That boss was totally easy and not worth your time.  Pathetic."  Domarus grunted in response as she had repeated what he had thought to himself.  The boss would need modifications so that it was actually challenging.  So far the only real threat would be if a tank at a high level faced it, as the gemini's health would then duplicate the tanks.  After that happened the fight would be dragged on forever since tanks rarely had decent damage at best.  He turned to Keres as they walked.
     "Keres, what do you make of Sakoda?  And what are your thoughts on doing with her?"  Keres' eyes gleamed as she loved it when Domarus believed she could contribute to his plans.  Of course it did help that Sakoda was apparently in love with her which Keres still didn't understand.  The only reason Keres actually cared was because it gave her a way to mess with Sakoda's emotions in a cruel way, and it also enabled her to have more control over Sakoda, allowing Domarus to have more influence over her as well as a grip on what she might do.
    "Well, what did you have in mind for her?"  

ID#  83458  LD:  6+3=9  0 MAT total

Edited by Domarus
  • 3 weeks later...

Domarus listened to Keres' question as they walked and thought for a moment.
     "I currently have two options for her.  We could either use her as a means to gain good reputation amongst the organization, keep her in the dark as far as my true means, plans and identity go, and allow her to be like others in the future.  She could be the first of them."  This option was definitely required as he would need many followers.  However as of late, his general's had been becoming more and more inactive, which was something he just couldn't have.  Depending on her progress, she may or may not be suited for becoming the healer general.  Of course he was considering changing the generals from simple builds to roles and assignments.  Strategist, assailant, rogue, guardian, etc.  These would be gravely important and thus he should have them as generals rather than simple damage, defense, healing and scout, which didn't tend to be a main build thing, understandably of course.  There wasn't much use for a scout.
     "The second option is to turn her into a weapon, or tool of sorts.  Using her for the more, dark, assignments."  This option would require more time to break and shape her.  She thought the world was all nice and sparkly but this was not true.  If she learned the truth there were multiple outcomes, which is why Domarus needed to take it slow with her and be ready to handle any outcome.  What he didn't know was that she would become unpredictable.  Rhozarth spotted some materials they could use and brought them to Domarus who inserted them in his inventory.

ID#  84671  LD:  14+3=17  +4 MAT  4 total

Edited by Domarus

As he thought about Sakoda and her future assignments, he began to think about the roles the generals would be assigned to as well as the idea of the guild which he had been messing around with.  To be completely honest he wasn't sure he wanted to go the route he was currently on.  Full on front liners ranked like a military organization?  It was clear that the knights of the blood oath were a joke so it would be in his best interest to steer clear from that direction.  No, he would shape the guild into something far more unique.  Front lines needed to be a priority of course, but there were other ways to gain reputation, and in a good way.  The problem was that he would need followers and allies who would be active enough to give the guild meaning.  So far, the players he had chosen as his generals weren't being too active and thus it proved to be a very large issue that would need to be handled appropriately.  Dominion had been gone for far too long and would be demoted to a follower before he even became a general.  He would need to find a replacement as soon as he could. 

He also thought about it and was leaning towards deciding that he would not file the generals under builds.  Especially when players designed cross builds all the time, such as Domarus' tank and dps blend.  He would need to take some time and think about what he would want his four generals to be assigned to.  When he did he also needed to think about his future guild.  Whether or not he would have focus on one particular goal, or if he'd have the guild branch out.  What the tenets would be, restrictions.  Rankings, titles, rewards.  Uniforms as well.  There was a lot to invest into this idea and much work to do.  Before he could start it however, he needed to branch out and find members, followers and allies.  The moment he had a suitable of reliable members, then he could set up the guild on a solid foundation.  Whether those players were going to be consistent was yet to be seen, however Domarus never intended to have a guild until the far future so he didn't expect it to start in an instant.  As always with things in the world, both in the real and in virtual, things would take time.  If you rush too fast there were consequences.  Most of the time them being harsh.

Pretty soon Domarus would need to review his notes.  Throughout his time in Aincrad he would write down any event of meaning, and thus he would have info he may or may not have forgotten.  Information that could prove invaluable.  Thus he would need to review from time to time.  Domarus noticed as Keres began to stir, preparing to answer Domarus.
     "Well, I suppose it would depend on what you'd need more.  I know you need a lot of players in order to increase your good reputation.  You also need four generals.  And then of course you intend to get players to become allies."  Domarus nodded.  All of these areas were extremely vital.  With Sakoda, the girl was at ground zero.  A blank slate.  However Domarus felt that there was something about her that she had yet to reveal.  In any case, she was ready for any path and Domarus had the chance to decide.  The question was the one Keres had raised:  Where did he need her most?  As a follower, where she would not know his truth and simply be there to fill his guild and give his organization good reputation.  As an ally where she knows nothing and is only called if needed.  Or as a general, where he only allowed his most trusted inside...  Then again...

He began to think about the new position that was never going to be official, but that he'd been mulling over for quite some time.  The position arose to his mind when a player made him question a very vital flaw in his grand plans.  The flaw was this:  What would he leave behind?  He planned on creating a grand empire, one that would stand invincible.  However if he died, then all of that would wash away.  Nothing left but a powerful kingdom left in the hands of complete and total strangers.  He couldn't just pick someone out that was the closest to being him either, no far from that.  He needed to take someone who was at ground zero:  a clean slate.  Someone who would be ready to branch out to any possible path.  And show them the truth of this world.  Show them what Domarus knew.  Someone he could train to think like he did.  Once Domarus was done that person would be ready to rule by Domarus' side, and hopefully, take his place once he was deceased.  They would need to be appropriately aligned of course, so that they would not steer off course.  

He needed an apprentice.  An heir to his success and achievements.  Otherwise there would be no point, save for to disrupt the world's current system.  Sakoda.  Could that weak girl truly be the one he needed?  He doubted it, she lacked a spine to begin with.  Regardless of that obvious detail he would be keeping an eye on her, just in case.
     "I have a thought on the matter."  Keres grinned.  That was Domarus' way of saying the discussion was over.  No doubt he had come up with a third alternative, maybe even five.  She trusted Domarus and after all, she was only there to give her thought on the matter.  It was not her place to tell him what to do.  Only to do what he says.  If he asks for her opinion, which was usually rare, she would do exactly as he ordered.  Domarus glanced at Rhozarth who flew over and landed on his shoulder.  The weight was nothing to Domarus of course but it did lead his thoughts elsewhere.  Most people believed strength and damage was what strength was.  They were dead wrong.  While strength was a vital importance, it wasn't physical strength or stat strength that made one strong.  That was not what strength was.  To be strong meant you have an end goal, an agenda.  You need to be passionate about something.  When you are, your drive pushes you past limits.  Domarus had a goal.  And because of his passion, he had mastered the art of speech, manipulation, deception.  He carved his mind into a master schemer.  And soon enough he would be strong statewise.  While it was true that stats made one strong, true strength came from the player's passion and determination.