[F2 - PP] Punching Rocks Again <<Breaking the Unbreakable>> [Completed]

Spoiler

Punching Rock:

ID# 88726 results: Battle: 3 - Miss

"I wasn't speaking in riddles by any means," Shield answered. "I'm a statistician in the real world. I work - or rather, I worked - in a university's science department. Measurements only tell you so much if you don't know how to interpret the data, and then you also run the risk of human error and bias."

He swung his fists here and there as he spoke, catching odd bits of stone with his fists, but the only things he managed to dislodge seemed to already be loose from stronger attacks, and the health gauge did not move.

"I was largely there as a fact checker in other peoples' research," he went on. "It was a little unconventional to have me around just for that rather than doing my own research, but I caught quite a few things in my time that needed catching. Nothing looks worse on a university than major errors in a published article."

It seemed as if his run of luck was at an end. Whatever mechanical factor had led to his successful attacks seemed to have altered, leaving him back to his insubstantial contributions of little to no damage.

Edited by Shield

Vale ended up getting information for things she wasn't actually intending to get, nevertheless the man looked somewhat comfortable to share about his personal life outside of the game. Normally a topic regarded as taboo. Vale listened happily hearing about the man's life, once he was finished she couldn't help herself, "I am sorry. I know you just told me about your life outside of this world. And it wasn't originally my intention to pry into your personal life, although it is really good to know just how smart you really are Shield-dono. But, what I meant was, what is your profession in this world." She chuckled as she said embarassingly

Flicking her eyes back at the rock, she did a quick roundhouse kick to it. Causing a massive chunk to go flying and explode into data particles in mid air, leaving the rock with just a sliver of health left, "But since you shared some personal information with me, I'm willing to tell you about my life outside this world too, that is if you're interested in hearing about it in the slightest." She informed him, giving him the chance to choose if he was curious enough.

ID: 88728  | BD 6+3=11

Boulder: 3/50 -6

Edited by Vale
Spoiler

Punching Rock

ID# 88730 results: Battle: 6 - Hit! - 3/50 HP - 1 dmg = 2/50 HP

Shield shrugged, sighing to himself at the miscommunication.

"It's a curse of the adult world that so much of your conversations revolve around work," he said, shaking his head slightly at himself before returning his eyes to the stone before them. "I'm a merchant here in Aincrad. As car as I can tell, I'm one of the more successful unique finders as well. I've had my fair share of rare enhancements surface in my shop."

He pulled back his fist for what he was sure was likely the last time, sending his knuckles into the crumbling obstacle. Nearly half of the stone split off, disappearing into a cloud of fragmented lights, each of which dissolved into nothing. The little sliver of red was barely visible, telling Shield that any Martial Artists worth their salt would be able to handle it in a single blow, even without enhancements.

"Looks like this is about it," he said with a nod, gesturing for Vale to take her turn. "I think we've softened it up enough."

Edited by Shield

Vale chuckled to shields statement, "You can definitely say that again. I'm glad no one knows who I am here, being a multi national martial arts tournament winner between the ages of ten to nineteen. Ended up being the only ever conversation I had with my parents and practically everyone else." The usual perkiness in her voice went slightly monotone, as to indicate she wasn't too overly thrilled about that. Vale shook her head getting the thought out of her head and focusing on what Shield said next, "A Merchant, well. I'll be bringing any of the loot I come across to your shop my friend." She smiled happily. Turning her attention to the Rock when he said it had been softened up enough she agreed with blasting the rest of the rock into data particles, effectively completing the quest and unlocking the Martial Arts skill for Shield, "I think you're just about right." She laughed, "We should go hunting again in the near future!" The usual perkiness having returned to her voice.

ID: 88728  | BD 3+3=6

Boulder: -4/50 -6

Edited by Vale

With the disintegration of the stone, the familiar and all too welcome face of the NPC monk who was the quest giver poked out from behind Shield's shoulder.

"Ah~" gasped the wizened figure, stroking his long, whispy beard. "Great team work has accomplished the impossible. Give me your hands, young warrior."

The wrinkle-cracked knuckles of the monk relaxed, uncurling long, thick fingers. Though the man's body was bent, his hands were anything but frail. Shield responded with compliance, extending his hands toward the old man. The aged fingers touched the backs of Shield's hands, and for a moment the tank's hands radiated with a faint, colorless glow which quickly subsided.

A dialogue box popped into existence before his eyes. It was one he had seen before, though before it was from the other side as his questing companion hit the accept button.

Congratulations!!!

Quest Complete!

Unlocked New Skill: Martial Arts

Sure enough, as Shield searched through his menus, a new offshoot had branched off of his skill tree. He gave a nod and closed both windows, turning to Vale. He extended his fist for the now fellow martial artist to bump.

"Well, aside from Katana, which I have no need for, and the rumored 'Disguise' skill, I've more or less finished unlocking extra skills," he said, glancing over in the direction of the main settlement of the second floor, wherein lay the teleportation gate. "Hunting is always an option. Just let me know. Shall we head back?"

[Thread Rewards]

-All-

1 SP

133 Col (400/3)

-Shield-

New Skill: Martial Arts

1 Col (The remainder)

Edited by Shield