[F4 - PP] Steel Yourself (Shield & Atzo) <<The Essence of Steel>> [Completed]

Spoiler

<<The Essence of Steel>>

This quest takes place on Floor 4
This quest is repeatable
This RP will not count in the benchmark

Word from Information Brokers speaks of a mysterious Beast Skull found in the far north of the Frozen wasteland of Floor 4. A small party reported having struck the skull with a nearby bone, waking a huge beast in a nearby cave. This monster, identified as <>, was easily equal in health and strength to a Floor Boss, and is said to yield an incredibly rare drop upon death that will allow a player to enhance a single item, improving it's quality by one level.

Requirements:
-At least two [2] Pages (21 or more posts)
- The Snow Beast must be defeated

Snow Beast Information:
<Snow Beast> is a Field Boss and has the following statistics:
HP: 250
Damage per Attack: 160

Special Ability: Partial Phase- Snow Beast will always deal a minimum of 24 damage, even through Armor and Armor Abilities.

Rewards:

1. Essence of Steel: an incredibly rare monster drop that allows a player to enhance a weapon, armor, or accessory and improve it's quality by one level. (Example, an Uncommon Weapon becomes a Rare Weapon.) Enhanced Gear is eligible for new Item Enhancements and must be approved through the Crafting Item Evaluation Topic.
    Note: This item CANNOT change a weapon's Tier. (Example, a Tier 1 weapon becomes a Tier 2).
  2. 1 Skill Point
Parties or Groups are encouraged, though only the player who takes this quest, and uses the Skull to awaken The Snow Beast will receive the <<Essence of Steel>> drop. That means ONLY ONE ESSENCE WILL DROP PER TOPIC.

Recommended Level: 25

"For someone who hates the cold, I've sure been spending a lot of time on this floor," Shield thought to himself aloud as he waited by the arrival gate for Atzo. "Still, experience is experience, and the item from this event actually serves my crafting well."

It made it more bearable to have proper motivation, but the survival skill also helped to harden him to the effects of the cold. Norbert, however, either did not benefit from the skill, or at least he very much disliked the Christmas sweater that Shield had fashioned into a vaguely turtle-shaped body sock. He grumbled and complained as his front legs attempted to crawl up Shield's back from within their sleeve prisons.

"Settle down, Norbert," Shield sighed, massaging his temple. "You know what happens when I let you climb like that. I don't need to regenerate more sections of my ear, thank you very much."

@Atzo

Edited by Shield

Atzo arrived on floor four at long last. He had been in his study at the time so it took longer then he had hoped to get to the teleporter. He looked around for a second before spotting Shield. "How's it going my friend" Atzo said with a lighthearted smile. The last time he had been on this floor he was with beat. It seemed fitting for him to go on a quest with Shield now that it was needed. He remembered the cold being harsher then he felt at the time, but he assumed it was due to survival. Still it was a little too cold for his liking. Hopefully it wouldn’t take long. “What’s the plan? Just get in get out? Or are we planning to search for mats as well?” Atzo didn’t mind doing either of the two, it would allow for them to get some currency if they did but they would also be cold longer.

@Shield

Shield raised a hand in greeting the man who was quickly becoming one of his more consistent companions. Though they had yet to be paired on any events, they had done a decent amount of leveling together.

"Well, I always figure that main objective comes first, and depending on how that goes, decide what's best from there," he said, motioning for Atzo to follow. He had completed this quest once already, so their objective and its location was well known to him. "We have a fairly low damage output between the two of us still, but it's far better than it used to be once upon a time."

They navigated their way out of town and along the snowy plains of the fourth floor, ending at the same snow-filled, dry river bed. There, in the center of where the river would have been, a spinal column protruded from the snow. On the very top was perched a great, saber-toothed skull. Beside it on the ground, half buried in snow, there was a club sized bone which Shield picked up. He looked to Atzo and gave a nod to indicate to stand back before striking the skull.

A deep, resonating thump rang out and fell silent amid the soft snow, but the reverberation seemed to carry through the ground. Shield knew by now that this was the creature being summoned. He pulled out his axe and faced the edge of the river bed where he remembered the hidden cave to be. Not a moment later, the snow beast burst from the dry, sloping river bank and shook the snow from its body. It had not even finished doing so before Shield's howl hit it.

"Guess who's back!" he bellowed, gripping his shield in his off hand as he stared the beast down.

Spoiler

ID# 80671 results:

Action: Focused Howl

MOB: 6 - Hit! - 160 dmg - 111 mit = 49 dmg, Thorns - 28 dmg

[H:6] Shield HP: 751/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:0] @Atzo:

<Snow Beast> HP: 222/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24)

Like clockwork, the creature rose to his bait and recoiled as its clawing attack left more damage on it than it did on Shield, whose health was already beginning to bounce back.

Edited by Shield

“And look how far we have come! Still we may have a low damage output but I have no doubt that we will be able to kill it quickly. I will hold back my stuns to allow your thorns to activate.” Atzo said with determination in his eyes. Atzo chuckled as Shield used his Focused Howl. It was always enjoyable to listen to the old man insult and challenge the beasts. Atzo activated his Back Rush ability, feeling the energy he slammed into the beast, causing five large slices to appear. “At least we will be making more progress than we did back in the cave.” Atzo said as he jumped back. He wanted to inquire about how Shield had been since they last met but decided that it would be better if he waited until after the battle. Misguidance firmly in hand he analyzed the battlefield, attempting to find a good place to attack from. “I think I may try to flank it” Atzo said to Shield feeling it was better to suggest it then to just do it.

@Shield

ID# 80775

Spoiler

Battle 7+3=10 (Hit) [DMG=6*5=30]

Stats

Spoiler

[H:6] Shield HP: 751/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:1] Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 21/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 192/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24)

Edited by Atzo
Spoiler

+ 54 HP - Reneg, + 30 HP - BH

ID# 80796 results:

Battle: 2 - Miss

MOB: 10 - Hit! - 160 + 2 = 162 - 111 mit = 51 dmg

[H:6] Shield HP: 751/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:1] @Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 21/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 192/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24)

The battle seemed to be off to a quick start, especially considering the duo who was facing the beast. Pressing their advantage, Shield ducked low and tried to sweep at the beast's legs, but it bounded over the strike harmlessly. Its large paws landed on Shield's chest, pushing him to the ground as its teeth fastened onto his throat.

He felt no pain, but the sensation of the teeth piercing his throat and its jaws constricting him, it has hard not to give in to the instinct to panic. Through sheer force of will, he collected himself and listed the creature up by its chest using his feet, tossing it back over his head and out of his field of vision. He quickly scrambled to his feet, axe out and at the ready once again.

"Man, it's almost like the thing feels like it has a score to settle from last time."

Edited by Shield

“I do not believe a computer program can hold a grudge, Shield.” Atzo said in regard to Shield’s remark. He then took his chance to activate Back Rush and slash the beast five more times. It suddenly Dawned on him, his energy consumption was higher than his energy regeneration. “I really need to figure out how to fix my energy consumption” He said to himself. Before turning to Shield “I will only be able to do that three more times before I am out of energy. That said, what do you think the strategy should be?” He didn't know exactly what to do here, but he saw two options. Sit out and try to stagger his attack or go all out now and recharge if it didn't die by then. He ultimately wanted Shield to make the call because Atzo saw benefits and flaws in both, and thus it was hard for him to decide one way or another.

@Shield

ID# 80815 

Spoiler

Battle 8+3=11 (Hit) [DMG=6*5=30]

Stats

Spoiler

[H:1] Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 16/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 162/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24)

Edited by Atzo
Spoiler

+54 HP - regen, +30 HP - BH

ID# 80821 results:

Battle: 3 - Miss

MOB: 7 - Hit! - 160 dmg - 111 mit = 49 dmg, Thorns - 28 dmg

[H:6] Shield HP: 751/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:1] @Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 16/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 134/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24)

Shield looked back and forth between the snow beast and Atzo, doing some quick estimations in his head. He couldn't get too precise with the beast prowling around, probing for openings. Then again, on the other hand, taking hits was exactly what he needed to do.

"The way I figure it" he thought aloud, trying his best to account for random chance, "you should only need to hit about that many times. As long as I get off bleed at some point or it starts pricking itself on my thorns, we should be in good shape."

No sooner had he spoken than the tiger-like creature leaped at him. He tried to catch the creature with a swipe of his axe, but he was not quick enough. Fortunately, he was more alert from his last pounce that he had received, and he managed to put up enough of a fight as he tumbled with the beast to scrape himself along the foe's body, scoring it with tiny red marks from his thorns.

Edited by Shield

Atzo went in for another Back Rush but the Beast was ready for him this time, jumping just out of Misgudance’s reach. “Or that will happen” He said as he jumped back. He thought about the leather coat he sometimes wore. It seemed to help him more without a tank, hense why he wasn’t wearing it. Though, that said, he wondered if he shouldn’t get something similar but more specific. The added boost given by Savvy would be much more helpful in a fight with a tank present then Evasion and Light momentum was much more powerful when there wasn’t one. Still he readied himself for his next attack. “I am sure we will be fine” He said to Shield “We will have this thing beaten in no time.” He said it more to himself then to Shield. He was attempting to stabilize his anxiety as he repositioned his footing. 

@Shield

ID# 80823

Spoiler

Battle 2+3=5 (Miss) -2 En

Stats

Spoiler

[H:1] Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 14/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 134/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24)

Edited by Atzo
Spoiler

+54 HP - regen, +30 HP - BH

ID# 80828 results:

Battle: 7 - Hit! - 3 dmg 

MOB: 1

[H:7] Shield HP: 800/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:1] @Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 14/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 131/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24)

As the strike Atzo had made fell short of the evasive actions of the beast, Shield tried his hand, stepping forward and leading the strike in the direction its target had dodged. His axe connected, but it drew no blood, and what was more, the claws that swept his way collided with his shield and fell away harmlessly. As a result, the health bar had barely moved from its position immediately after his last exchange.

"Yeah, great," he drawled aloud. "Or we could both somehow manage the exact opposite of what we said we'd be doing."

He pushed his shield into it and shoved it away, at least creating some distance so he wouldn't have the beast snarling in his face.

Everything in its time, I suppose. Though truth be told, if I'm going to get stuck on a boss combat, I'd prefer it be a new or challenging one.

Edited by Shield

Atzo nodded as Shield attempted to push the monster back. “Well, if worse comes to worse we have your thorns and my base damage is still six. It’s not quite thirty but it is better than nothing I guess” He said as he rushed the beast with Back Rush. it was going to be his second to last use of the Sword art unless he decided to hold off on attacking. Though that did not seem like the best action to take at the moment. As long as Shield had aggro he should attack. That way he could possibly cause bleed and still have a steady flux of damage done to it. Atzo looked to the sky, it was cloudy, dark. “I think it is going to snow soon, Let's hope that armour doesn’t get too cold” Atzo said to Shield trying to lighten the mood a little but he knew it would probably be in vain given their situation

ID# 80829

Spoiler

Battle 7+3=10 (Hit) [DMG=6*5=30]

Stats

Spoiler

[H:7] @Shield HP: 800/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:2] Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 8/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 101/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24)

Edited by Atzo
Spoiler

ID# 80830 results:

Battle: 8 - Hit! - 3 dmg, Bleed - 24 dmg

MOB: 5 - Miss

[H:8] Shield: HP: 800/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:2] @Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 8/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 74/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24) - Bleed

The focus of the enemy still on him, it was still doing its best to put damage onto Shield. It closed the distance, though Shield was ready this time, binding the beast up with his shield to keep his balance. Its claws flailed around the edges of the barrier as the older player tried to focus in hopes of landing a more potent hit.

A paw swiped at his head, and he slipped to the side, letting the pressure of his enemy slide off. The creature stumbled, and slipping behind it, Shield dropped his weapon into its spine. Red particles rushed out from the resulting wound, which was a satisfying sight in the aftermath of the prior round. Their luck had bounced back in force, and he watched the snow beast sprang back, attempting to shake off, but failing to cure itself of the status effect Shield had managed to inflict.

Edited by Shield

This Beast was too evasive for Atzo’s liking as misguidance once again missed its mark by hair. At least Shield had been able to activate Bleed damage. This was going to be quick regardless as to whether or not Atzo could hit it. Still, it would definitely take longer then he wanted. “Nice hit Shield, I apologize for my inability to hit for this beast. Though I cannot tell you what my delema is.” Atzo shrugged as he completed his statement. The cold terrain was seeming to intensify as snow began to fall from the cloudy sky. He always hated the snow, especially now that he was able to choose to be who he wanted to be. It reminded him of home, of his mother and father. It wasn’t tormenting but he still did not enjoy it by any means. The handle of Misguidance seemed to conduct the cold a lot better than he likes.

ID# 80832

Spoiler

Battle 2+3=5 (Miss)

Stats

Spoiler

[H:8] @Shield: HP: 800/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:2] Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 6/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 74/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24) - Bleed

Edited by Atzo
Spoiler

ID# 80835 results:

Battle: 3 - Miss

MOB: 8 - Hit! - 160 dmg - 111 mit = 49 dmg, Thorns - 28 dmg

[H:8] Shield: HP: 751/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:2] @Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 6/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 22/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24) - Bleed 0/2

"Try not to let it get to you, Atzo," Shield called out over the snarls of their opponent. "I'm not sure if Solomon ever talks to you about it, or talks period, but he once observed me whiff against a boss for probably ten consecutive tries, and that includes my thorns as well as my weapons."

As if on cue, he slashed with his axe, the weapon singing through the air without even touching the nimble target. He frowned, but even before he had an opportunity to further complain, the creature's teeth attempted to sink into his shoulder, only to immediately recoil. Its health had fallen deep into the red. No matter what, the last blow would end it.

"One way or the other, it's on its last legs," he said, egging on his comrade. "The only thing that we can do now without it dying is for one of us to hit it with a basic attack and not trigger bleed. Or at least that seems to be the case. Watch Cardinal find a way to make a liar out of me."

Edited by Shield

“I haven’t talked to Solomon much recently, not to mention the fact that he seems to only talk in riddles sense the accident… still trying to figure out why that happened” Atzo said in response as he once again missed the boss “I need to switch my armour if this keeps up. Though I bet you will end it next round anyways so I am not too worried about it.” He put the tip of Misguidance in the snowy ground below him and leaned against it. He had stopped caring about the inability of the two companions to kill the beast. It was bound to happen from time to time. It was not worth fretting over that was for sure. Not to mention that out of everything they could be fighting right now, Atzo did not have to worry about taking a large amount of damage by AOE and based on the remaining quests it was going to be a problem at some point in the near future.

@Shield

ID# 80836

Spoiler

Battle 2+3=5 (Miss)

Stats

Spoiler

[H:8] @Shield: HP: 751/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:2] Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 6/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: 22/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24) - Bleed 0/2

Edited by Atzo
Spoiler

ID# 80846 results:

Battle: 9 - Hit! - 3 dmg, Bleed - 24 dmg

[H:8] @Shield: HP: 751/800 - 80 Energy - 3 Dmg - 24 Bleed (BD 8+) - 111 Mitigation - 54 Regen - 28 Thorns - 30 Battle Healing
[H:2] Atzo: 240/240 Hp | 6/26 Energy | 6 Dmg | 3 Eva | 3 Acc | 1 Bleed 

<Snow Beast> HP: -5/250, DMG: 160 (Min 24) - Bleed 0/2 [DEAD] - Bleed -/2

With one final swing, Shield's axe clove the head of the beast in two. Red pixels showered from the wound before the rest of the body shattered into bright blue polygons and disappeared. With a nod, he let his axe hand fall down at his side and he stood up at a straight, neutral position once again.

"Well, despite the law of averages being a myth, its mythical properties were on our side," he said, giving Atzo a half shrug. "We couldn't both have rotten luck for an entire battle."

He looked over the window that displayed their rewards and gave it a nod before dismissing it. Once again, the quest portion had not taken overly long. This left them a little time to skip to a higher floor and potentially find a dungeon map.

"Hey," he said, making sure to grab Atzo's attention for a moment. "What would you say to doing a little exploration to find a dungeon on a higher floor? We're not spec'd properly to run it alone, but having extras is always helpful, especially since I may be running out of possible quests to take."

Edited by Shield

Atzo nodded to Shield, “I wouldn't mind looking for some dungeon maps. It would allow for some good loot when we cash them in.” He was hesitant to tell Shield that he already had some, seeing how Shield seemed to be a little skeptical about Atzo’s house. Atzo had no doubt that Shield would question how a low level player like Atzo found an Advanced and intermediate dungeon map. And Atzo didn't want to answer that question when it came. Atzo walked to the edge of the battlefield and looked at the forest that surrounded them “As long as we get out of this heat I see no problem in it. Plus it gives me some time to ask you some questions if you don't mind me doing it. I realize that some of my questions can be quite personal and make people uncomfortable.” He was feeling guilty for the strain that he had more than likely caused Shield through his questions.

@Shield

ID# 80850

Spoiler

Loot 11+2+1=14 (No Mat)

Edited by Atzo
Spoiler

Swapping gear:
- Pain Drinker (-54 Regen), -1 Bloody Hell (-2 dmg, -24 bleed), + Finder's Keeper (+1 skill rank: search & detect), +Seeking Aura (+3 LD)

ID# 80877 results: Loot: 3 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 8 - No Material (0 total)

Shield nodded. He was used to Atzo's questioning by now. Despite their sometimes invasive nature, they had never been upsetting in the strictest sense.

"Go ahead," he said, motioning for Atzo to follow as he made his way back towards civilization. "You're always welcome to ask me things, but I always reserve the right to refuse if I so choose."

He would not be sad to get out of the snow. Even with the picturesque piling of snow on evergreen boughs and the smooth, nearly pristine show plains that followed, the cold was just not his preference. Survival made it survivable, but it did not make it comfortable. As they walked, he could feel Norbert squirming on his back. It was impossible to say whether the AI felt any real discomfort, but if the did, the sweater that he had fashioned into a pouch likely did not cut it for a cold blooded creature.

Edited by Shield

Atzo nodded in agreement. “As it should be. I do not want to force you to get outside your comfort zone. Though it has dawned on me that I really must thank you for what you have done. Not in terms of helping me through the game, but in terms of answering my questions. I know it will sound weird but I have noticed that I look up to you as a father figure, one I never had the chance of having in the real world. Someone I can go to for guidance without fear of judgement or manipulation. So thank you for that. I am sure that you will make a great dad in the real world once we get out of this game.” Suddenly Atzo could hear the ghostly whispers from his Amulet of the Dead telling him of a root nearby. He swiftly plucked the plant and deposited in his inventory, now that he was an Alchemist he would be able to use the materials to make some items that would benefit him, the guild, Beat, and Shield. He did not plan to sell to people though.

@Shield

ID# 80904

Spoiler

Loot 20+2+1=23 (+1 T1 Mat)

Edited by Atzo

Shield came up short just before entering the snow-blanketed settlement. He turned to Atzo and gave a little half smile.

"I already am one," he said. There was fleetingly something very pained in the way that the smile crinkled the corner of his eye, but he was already turning back towards the town. "That's why I need to get back. I'm sure that doesn't come as a surprise to you, but it is something I'd prefer not to be able to be used against me."

They made their way through the town and to the teleportation plaza. He clomped his heavy boots on the relatively clear area around the teleporter before stepping into the center.

"Floor Eleven."

Spoiler

ID# 80909 results: Loot: 11 + 5 = 16 - +1 T2  Material (1 total)

He waited for Atzo to join him before making his way out of the safe zone. Immediately outside of the walls, his earring lit up. He looked down at the ground to find what appeared to be a giant crystal of sugar.

"Of course," he said, stowing the item away. "Floor is populated mostly by giant ants. Of course this is where you'd find giant grains of sugar."

@Atzo

Edited by Shield

“I had a hunch” Atzo said to Shield with a genuine smile “And don’t worry, I won't use that against you, I mean, I respect you way too much to do something like that.” They reached the teleporter Atzo was not going to waste any time. Once Shield teleported Atzo stepped up “Taft” he said as he was sent to the floor eleven city. “Alright, time to find a dungeon.” He said as he began to look around. He couldn't seem to find anything anywhere and the necklace surely wasn’t giving him any information. “I can't seem to find a dungeon, Shield. Though I have no idea what I am looking for.” He wasn’t lying, while he did have some maps already, he had no idea where they came from. They just appeared in his inventory one day. Still, he wanted to save those for a guild team to help him with and invite Shield and Beat when the time came.

@Shield

ID# 80955

Spoiler

Loot 9+2+1=12 (No Dungeon)

Edited by Atzo