(PP-F1-NK) It'll be alright (Piera)

As olive eyes looked up to the orange sky,  a sigh of exhaustion passed through his lips. The man had spent the past few days sulking, or drinking, usually both. A lot had happened to since he came back. Not only had he escaped death after captivity for four months, but he learned that his best friend, Lowenthal, had been murdered, as well as his ex-fiance siding with said murderer. Jomei had lost a best friend and a lover in the same day.. that the greatest of ways to make a return. Shoving his hands into his pockets, Jomei listened to the sort, worried murmurs coming from behind him as people slowed their walk to look at him. The tips of his boots were poking over the edge of the wall separating the Town of Beginnings and the seemingly endless abyss that proved as a one way ticket off of the floating castle. Many players at the start of this game chose this was the easiest and quickest way to escape from SAO.. only to learn that they would not be going back to their family and friends on the outside world. 

A light breeze blew upwards at Jomei, causing his cape to flap behind him and his bangs to hover in front of his face. His eyes closed as he took the breath in through his nostrils. Behind him was a large building, a cathedral. Inside housed the Monument of Life, listing all of the 10,000 players, both living and dead; those who had died crossed out, their death date and cause under them. Jomei knew that, but he did not have the courage to look at it, to see how many had died.. how many he knew.. how many he could have saved. His head dropped for a moment as he exhaled, looking down at the clouds below the city. 

Ever since Jomei's escape from their shared captors, Piera had made sure to keep in contact with him. Perhaps to an annoying level, at least she worried about that. But she needed that reassurance that he was alive and around now. That he was okay....relatively at least. So every day she had sent him a message at least twice a day. Once to greet him whenever she woke and another sometime later in the day. Sometimes when she saw something she thought he'd like to know about, or remembered something that she wanted to tell him or just saying goodnight. Most of it was useless chatter, nothing with emotion or heaviness. Light talk. Effortless... But now she was starting to wonder if enough was enough. They needed to talk.

Her concern ramped up when he hadn't messaged back this morning, but she tried to let it slide until it started to get around sunset and she sent another...to no reply. She immediately headed for his shop, but there wasn't any answer or indication that anyone was there. Where else? Lowenthal's beach house? No he wouldn't be able to enter... He wouldn't go back to wherever he had been living with Zandra. Neither of them knew where Lowenthal had actually died. So... A hunch began to dawn on the alchemist and she teleported to the first floor. This was where she had gone when she tried to come to grips with their friend's death and where she discovered the truth. Perhaps he had as well... Running up the cathedral steps, Piera panted as she opened the door, flooding dying light into the room that held the Monument of Life. ...But it was empty save for the giant slab of stone. Biting her lip and biting back a curse, the healer's right hand flew to her forehead, glancing around the front of the cathedral and feeling lost and helpless. What if he was doing something drastic? What if he just wanted some space and she was crowding him? What if..?!

"Do you think he's going to jump?"

The brunette's heart jumped up to her throat at the murmured question, head snapping towards the pair of players that were talking before rushing up to them. "Where?" She demanded insistently. The one who had asked the terrible question flustered but his companion simply posted with a solemn look at the back of the cathedral. Taking off at a sprint, Piera slowed as she saw a familiar green cape flapping in the wind that was rustling ginger hair. Trying to compose herself, the alchemist rubbed her face and tried to shake off the urge to cry (why did she always cry at everything?) before taking a steadying long deep breath and letting it slowly out.

She took a single step towards the edge before grimacing. Why did it have to be here? She couldn't do this sober. Quickly accessing her inventory, a vial appeared in her hand and Piera took a sip of the 100 Proof Potion, swallowing before slipping it in her pocket for now. Slowly approaching the Irishman, Piera sat down next to him, her feet dangling over the edge along with his. Looking out at the clouds but specifically not looking down, she commented with an easy going sigh that was more casual than she felt internally, "You sure know how to pick 'em..."

Quiet for a moment as they stared together out at the sky, the healer stated, "I always had a fear of heights. I once reasoned that if I could climb to someplace high enough that should I jump, I would definitely die....then I was ready to end my life. Never did. Obviously."

Finally the woman turned her head, green eyes meeting green eyes as she asked pointedly, "Are you afraid of heights?"

Edited by Piera

Jomei stood in silence for a moment until he hear the sound of someone sitting down on the ledge next to him, and then a familiar voice spoke up. Seemed as though Piera had wandered into where Jomei was located. He looked at the woman over his shoulder for a moment before looking back out at the sunset, "Yeah. If there's one thing that always takes my mind off of things, its the sunsets here." The two stayed there in silence, looking out a the skyline surrounding Aincrad. Sometimes, it was easy to forget that this entire place, all 100 floors, were inside of a large floating castle. Looking down at what seemed like only clouds, he wondered if there even was a ground under all of this. He wondered even more if there was any way to get to it, or if completing the game would allow them to explore the underworld of the castle. He let out a single chuckle, thinking that it wouldn't be that easy to escape from this prison.

Piera continued on about her fear of heights and about jumping from high places. So Piera too was worried that Jomei was going to jump and end it all. "I once had a fear of heights.. when I was younger. I would refuse to go in any tall building, or climb up anything. My legs would always feel like they were going to give out from under me and that I would fall.. Eventually, I got over that fear.." Jomei looked down at the endless abyss once again, this time shuddering. "... realized what I really fear out of it, is falling." Slowly turning around, Jomei looked to the side at Piera once again before stepping off of the ledge, back onto solid ground. "You don't have to worry Piera, I'm sad.. feeling depressed even.. but I would never consider taking my own life, I still have too much to live for, and people depending on me." He turned back and looked at the edge once more, "I just come here sometimes to remind me that.. I am still alive.. and that I am stronger for dealing with this suffering and trying to survive, rather than ending it all. I'm happy you found me though, I feel like I need someone to be around for a bit. Remind me I'm not alone."

She had to admit, as long as she didn't look down, just looking at the sky, clouds scattered about as the sun's dying light hit them....it was relaxing. Calming even. Green eyes glancing over to Jomei's form as he explained that he had been afraid of heights when he was younger, the alchemist was quiet as he spoke. She saw him glancing down and barely suppressed a shudder herself and she hadn't even looked. Her heart constricted as he stood, but relaxed when he stepped off of the ledge onto safe and solid ground. "I never really understood that logic. But I'm glad you're not afraid anymore, regardless."

Offering a relieved and slightly tired smile, Piera looked up at the Irishman as he reassured her that though he was depressed, he wasn't suicidal. Holding up a hand to him to be helped to her feet, the brunette replied, "As one of the people depending on you, I'm glad you realize that. And you're not alone. No matter what happens." Squeezing the hand that had helped her up and helped her through so much, Piera smiled fondly at her friend before pulling him into a quick hug. "I'm so sorry Jomei. That that happened to you. That you found out like that. That...everything. I'm just sorry."

As Jomei stepped off of the ledge, Piera looked up to him,  requesting help in standing up by reaching out her hand. The ginger put out his own hand, taking Piera's in his own and gently pulled her towards him, away from the ledge and up onto her feet. She told him that he was not alone, and to never think that he would be. It warmed Jomei's heart to hear those words, even though deep down he knew he was not alone. These past few days, however, even the past few months, he had never felt more alone in his life. Piera pulled Jomei's arm, bringing him into a tight embrace. She apologized for everything. From finding out about Lowe's death, to being betrayed by Zandra. It really had been rough on him, though he was sure it was rough on everyone else as well. Jomei picked up his arms and pressed his hands against Piera's back, returning the hug. "Don't be sorry Piera, you didn't have any control over any of this.. And I was going to find out eventually anyway.. All of this was going to happen." Jomei looked up from Piera's shoulder and looked at the cathedral behind them. "I think I'm ready." He was silent for a moment, "Ready to take a look at the Monument of Life. I just.. need to see it to really believe it. Will you come with me?"

At the returning squeeze to her hug, Piera felt a little better about her friend. Still concerned, but relieved that she was able to make him understand that she was here for him. That she wouldn't just let him slip through the cracks. Nodding in understanding and gritting her teeth to try and fight back tears (because of course she was) at the Irishman's reassuring words, the brunette was thankful that her face was hidden in his chest right now, giving her a chance to compose herself. Pulling away as he said he was 'ready', the alchemist glanced up at him in mild confusion before he explained and her expression became solemn. "Of course. I tried to do it alone...but I was glad somebody was there." Linking elbows with her friend, she led the way around the side of the cathedral until they stopped at the bottom of the steps, ignoring the prying eyes of the players that had been speculating his possible suicide. The two former guildmates and current friends climbed the steps, the alchemist pushing the door open gently, letting light flood into the otherwise dim room. The giant stone slab spanned the back of the room and was somewhat intimidating she knew. Glancing up at Jomei, the healer then separated their arms and walked forward, not forcing him to join her as she approached the Monument of Life. If new names had been crossed out, she didn't notice. That in itself was sad. How many players had died that nobody even knew about? Nobody mourned or noticed... Green eyes flicked over the crossed out names, knowing too many to be comfortable with. And even worse, seeing the names of someone she knew being the cause for someone else's death. And there was Lowenthal's name along with the other L's. Piera glanced over at Jomei to gauge his reaction.

Jomei looked down at Piera for a moment before replying, "Which is why I am relieved you are going with me.." His lips curved ever so slightly, just to show a faint bit of happiness hidden behind all the sorrow. The brunette put her arm around Jomei's, locking her arm to his, before leading him to the other side of the church. The man had never visited the Monument before, found no point in it since none of his friends had died. Though, he figured now was a better time than any. A knot began to form in his throat as he thought the worst, seeing the names of all of his friends that had gone missing crossed out, meaning they were no longer living. But he needed to know for sure. The two pushed open the large doors, and the light of the sun setting filled the large room. The building was mostly empty, pillars lined the walls, where windows where light trickled into the room sat above. The only entity in the room, aside from themselves and the other players, was the large slab of stone on a platform on the far side of the cathedral. As they neared it, Jomei was able to see writing all along its face. Names of all 10,000 players, some with a line through it. He figured that meant they were dead. 

As the two stopped in front of the monument, Jomei's green eyes panned the whole surface. His eyes went up and down all of the names quickly, before stepping up on the platform, away from Piera. Starting from the top, he looked at all of the crossed off names, focusing for a moment on those he knew.
"Ahti...Azide..C..Carmine..Ebony..H-Helios.." He took a moment, his eyes widened when he saw Helios had died. Looking under his name, his heart sank. The poor kid killed himself... Jomei clenched his fist and held back tears, knowing he needed to go on. Lowenthal was the next name he recognized. He placed his hand over his name and sighed, looking at the ground. He looked back up after a few moments and continued, "Manta.. O.." He stopped immediately again. "[censored]." he cursed to himself as tears began to flow from his eyes, falling to the ground at his feet. "I... I didn't know.. This many.." He held back sobbing as he clenched his fists before slamming them up against the Monument, talking through grit teeth. "Dammit Opal.. not you too.. why?" Jomei's fingers spread out from his fists and he leaned against the stone, tears hitting the ground after falling down his cheeks. He brought one hand up to his face and wiped his tears before turning back around to Piera and stepping down, pulling the hood of his cloak up, casting a shadow over his eyes. "Lets Go." He said as he walked past her towards the exit. Jomei stopped in his tracks, and took a deep breath "...thank you."

• 2 weeks later...

Her elbows rested in her palms as Piera slowly trailed behind her ginger friend. Eyes on him rather than the monolithic monument before the two. As he began to read off names that he recognized, names that she knew were crossed off, her hand moved to her mouth, biting her thumb slightly. At least until he read off Helios' name, knuckles pressing against pursed lips as she saw his clenched fist. It was likely just as hard for him to realize their former younger guildmate took his own life. His reaction to Lowenthal's name was more accepting but when he reached Opal's, unable to actually say the woman's name, Piera's jaw clenched, heart aching for the pain that her friend was likely experiencing. She hadn't thought about the fact that he likely hadn't known about her death.

It seemed her name was the straw on the camel's back. Jumping slightly as he pounded his fists against the surface of the dark marble, the brunette reached out a hand to comfort the Irishman, but stopped just short as she heard him whisper Opal's name again, hand lowering as she decided to give him just another moment 'alone'. But he didn't really allow himself that, roughly wiping his face from what she could tell by his movements, shielding his face from view by facing away from her and when he did turn around, he tried to hide in the hood of his cloak.

Frowning, Piera turned to follow him but paused as he stopped at the exit, exhaling a small sigh as he thanked her. Taking long strides to catch up to him, Piera gently tugged on the arm part of his cloak to get his attention and force him to turn around. But still she couldn't really look at him. Lifting up his hood just slightly, green eyes met green eyes before she told him sincerely, "It's okay to cry Nick. And it's okay if you just don't want to cry anymore." Lowering her intense gaze, the alchemist inhaled before offering, "Hey, you wana come back to our place and have a drink? I could show ya around and catch you up."

Jomei looked at the open door on the opposite side of the hall, left slightly ajar from the two entering the building the cathedral before. His gaze moved down to his boots, hasting his pace so he could quickly get out of this place. With one arm, he reached out to the door to push it open, but something grabbed his other arm through his cloak, stopping him in his tracks. The man relaxed his muscles and let the brunette turn him around. He looked past his bangs and hood, through the lenses of her glasses and into her emerald eyes. He could see that they were filled with care for her ginger friend. He let out a heavy sigh before running his hand from the bridge of his nose and up his head, pushing his hood off of his hair. "I think... That I'll be okay. Coming here was the closure I needed. I mean, yeah.. I'm going to mourn their deaths and miss them all but.. They'd want us to continue on with life, and eventually make it out of here. Wanting us to just remember them." Jomei's gaze had shifted from Piera's to the ground past her. After a moment of dazing off, he shook his head and looked back at Piera. "Your guys house on Floor Three right?" Jomei's tired face smiled, "Sure. I would like that. I'm sure we could both use that."

• 4 months later...

She certainly didn't believe that he was okay now, but could see that he now truly thought that he would be okay...in time. She'd try and do her best to make sure that he would. Giving a soft lopsided smile, Piera nodded in agreement with his words. "Remember them, drink to them, make fun of them, miss them. We'll do it all. All for them." Inhaling deeply, the woman held it for a moment before exhaling from her nose as she nodded once more to Jomei in agreement to both of the things he said. Awkwardly attempting to put an arm around the much taller man's shoulder, she led him out of the dome and into the sunset filled outside, walking their way to the teleport gate. "Let me show you our not so humble abode and have our wake."

Upon arriving on the third floor, Piera tugged on the hem of the ginger's cloak as he began to start off in the wrong direction. "My shop's that way still, but Lee bought a place that's on the outskirts. Mountains are real pretty out there."  They set on the path that lead out of Delilah Village, taking a while to see their destination but eventually it came into view. Pointing, Piera nodded her chin towards it and said, "There's Winstad Manor."  It was across from a fairly wide river, surrounded by lush greenery with its back against the mountain's expanse.

"Lee kinda went wild with customizing it. And we weren't really using the col for anything else. Though he found the mansion pretty intact, though it was abandoned. Not sure if the owner just decided to upgrade to higher level floor or..." The alternative option didn't need saying and the alchemist simply shrugged lamely before leading Jomei to the bridge. It didn't take them long before they were at the front door.

Opening it without ceremony, Piera called out, "Hun, I'm home! You here?" No reply was heard and she swiped open her menu before humming. "Nah, he's still out. Oh well. He'd probably give you a better tour but I shall endeavor to to do my best." Then tilting her head as she glanced sidelong at her friend, the brunette posed, "Top to bottom or bottom to top?"

Jomei nodded his head at Piera's invitation once more to join her for a drink at the couple's home. As Piera struggled to place an arm around Jomei's shoulders, the two exited through the large stone doors to the cathedral and made their way towards the center of the town. Once they, they used the two teleported up to the Third Floor, into the center of the quaint town of Delilah. Jomei stepped from the platform and began to walk in the direction of Piera's shop, where the two had been residing for as long as Jomei could remember. The man's stride was halted by Piera grabbing at the collar of his cloak and pulling him in the opposite direction. She informed Jomei that the two had found a new place to reside, a place off in the mountains of the floor. Jomei's curiosity peaked, following the woman out of town and into the mountainous regions that surrounded it. 

Jomei took in the lush scenery of the green mountains and plains, feeling almost like he was back home in Ireland on the walk. It truly took his mind off of everything that had transcribed in the past couple of days, the serenity and nostalgia of what he was looking at. Piera soon stopped him in front of a lake, gesturing him across the body of water to a large mansion, built right up against a mountain. Jomei's jaw dropped. "You... you guys... Where the [censored] did you get the money for that?!" Jomei exclaimed. Jomei had been more active than the two of them combined, yet they had saved up the money to buy this manor. 

The brunette led Jomei across the bridge, explaining how they had come into possession of the large estate. Jomei was listening to each word Piera said, however his eyes were glued to the beauty of the architecture they now lived in. He still could not believe that this house was owned by Piera and Lee. As they approached the large door, Piera pushed it open, revealing the large foyer inside. She called out to her lover to see if he was home, to which he had been out running some errands of some sort. She turned to Jomei, asking how they would like to explore the house. "..... Oh uh." he snapped back to give Piera his attention, the inside of the house receiving the same attention he gave to the front. "Might as well start from down here."

Not able to stifle a snort of amusement at Jomei's flabbergasted outburst, her left hand tried to cover her mouth as her shoulders shook. She wasn't even sure if he heard her as he seemed absolutely fixed on the vision that was her home. A content smile rested on her face, glad to see his mind on something harmless. "I guess it is pretty surprising considering our old house." Not that it was really a house, just a bedroom above their conjoined shops. Walking a bit forward so she was standing in the middle of the entryway, the woman cocked a hip, awaiting the Irishman's decision on where to start.

When he declared that they might as well start on the floor that they were on, the alchemist nodded in acquiescence, pivoting on her heel to face left, beckoning Jomei to follow her down the left hallway. It lead to a small arched wooden doorway which she introduced upon opening, "Here we have the living room." It was a comfortable and warmly lit room mainly consisting of wood. A couch, a few heavily cushioned chairs and decorative plants atop a fuzzy rug. The room was illuminated by the square stoned fireplace and hung above it was a shield.

"That was actually Lee's first shield that wasn't just the starter shield. ....Remember when Lowe gave it to him when we all first met?" Her eyes seemed faraway as she smiled sadly at the item. "You guys showed us the basics of combat....basically by beating the $h!t out of each other, heh. Can't say it wasn't informative though."

After deciding for Piera where the two should start their tour, the spectacled woman led him off to the left. In front of them was an arched wooden doorway, even the smaller doors inside this manor were nicer than Jomei could have imagined. Piera opened the door to one of the coziest living rooms he had ever seen. Couches and chairs adorned with comfortable looking cushions and a large stone fireplace that warmed the room to a comfortable temperature. Jomei's eyes, however, locked to the small shield that hung above the fireplace. Nostalgia and memories of the past filled his mind, causing a small smile to form on his lips. Piera pointed it out to him that it was Lee's first shield that Lowenthal had given to them. Jomei shook his head, "You seem to have forgetten Piera.. That was my shield.. I gave it to Lee all that time ago." 

His mind went back to when he first got the shield from Skylar.. pretty much the first quest that the man had helped him with. The buckler stuck with Jomei for many adventures, up to just before forming The Velvet Room with Lowenthal, Piera, Lee and Carmine. At that time, he had passed it off to Lee. Jomei closed his eyes ,"Things were.. so much simpler back then... 

Piera's eyebrows raised in faint surprise at her friend's correction before they lowered in a furrow, glancing back at the shield as she squinted in concentration, attempting to remember. All was silent except for the crackling fireplace for a moment until there was a faint 'smack' as she facepalmed with a small groan. "That's right. Lowe gave me the Bleeding Lance and you gave Lee the shield. We joked that we found mentors. Or sugar daddies....heh. ...Gah my memory is horrible..." The alchemist grimaced, feeling a pang of guilt at forgetting something like that.

It might have been small but it was still important to her, not that this was the first time she'd forgotten something that she'd considered important. Her brain consistently seemed to just 'lose' her memories. Or perhaps just had a very small hard drive. Letting out a long sigh as she tried not to let it get to her, the brunette nodded in agreement with Jomei. "It was simultaneously more and less scary at the same time. Worrying about how we were going to eat, where to sleep and how to survive and level up. Now the latter two seem so much harder."  ...F*** she was being a downer. "But at least we have some perks now that we're higher level. Sweet @$$ gear and awesome mansions are nothin' t' sneeze at."   Smoothe Piera....reeeaaalll smoothe.

Clearing her throat lightly, the alchemist motioned to the arched doorway before leading her friend down the hall once more, opening another wooden door, this one much smaller than the living room's. "Aaaand no mansion can be without a library of course. Tis essential." Roughly the same size as the living room but much more filled out, book cases lined the walls and reached  up to the ceiling. in the middle and towards the heavily curtained windows were two couches facing each other with a low table between them. There was even a desk with a plush chair.

"Pretty much most of these books are just for show, but I've collected a loooot of lore on the game as well as anything else written that I could get my hands on. Player handbooks, pamphlets, NPC journals, notes on monsters, books on various professions, you name it. Most of it's pretty common knowledge, but I still just like having them on hand....and not weighing me down in my inventory, heh."  Tapping her chin, Piera glanced around as if trying to recall something as she murmured, "Think I might've found some sheets of music too...somewhere..."

Jomei chuckled at Piera's mis-remembered memories about the past. Jomei remembered that day well, in Tolbana town. Jomei and Lowe decided it best to show Piera and Lee how to fight and defend themselves, especially if they were all going to be in the guild together. Jomei chuckled as he remembered more and more, Lowe and him started a small duel, where they seemed evenly matched. Though Lowenthal eventually revealed a bit of malice behind his strikes, being focused from anger and jealousy from Jomei having feelings for the same woman as he did. Jomei's head shook from side to side, remembering dropping his sword and decking Lowenthal across the face to snap him out of it. "Yeah.." Jomei simply replied, a smirk on his face. 

Piera agreed with Jomei, but adding her own piece that being low leveled also had its flaws. Jomei nodded, agreeing with the woman. "True.. it was also a lot easier just not joining the front lines." he said with a chuckle. "These petty feuds between some of the front liners, leading to just more and more death. I feel like if we just avoided the frontlines entirely, we would not have gone through this." he let out a sigh. "But the past is in the past, we are here now." Jomei's thought ended as Piera led him from the living room to another door, which revealed to be a library of sorts. The man crossed his arms and looked around the room, bookshelves stocked up to the ceiling. Jomei ran his fingers along the spines of the books, skimming over the title of each one as he walked by. Some were blank, which he assumed were just immovable objects for show. But other ones, as Piera said, ranged from simple mob types and stats, to books all about the different professions. Jomei crossed his arms and looked to Piera, "This is really impressive. I'm sure you've just learned a lot about Aincrad through them."

• 4 months later...

Piera huffed a humorless laugh as Jomei lamented the petty feuds of the frontlines. "Maybe. But at least you're out there for a good cause. Or at least were. And will be again. At least if you want." Stumbling over the point she was awkwardly attempting to make.

Leaning against the back of a sofa, the brunette nodded with a faintly proud smile. "More lore than actual mechanics, but yes." Glancing out the curtained windows she explained, "Apparently Aincrad wasn't always like this. Far far far below is the 'normal' world. Can't remember how long ago it was but apparently, it's all legends to NPCs now. Anyways the floors? Are circular cutouts magically taken from various places on their globe and assembled into this huge castle. Aincrad." She splayed her arms for effect before continuing. "That's why the floors are so varied. Something else I learned that's more interesting is that NPCs were trapped on the floor they're from apparently. Completely self-contained countries practically. At least until we the players began unlocking floors. Not sure if NPCs go to different floors now though. Not sure if they'd want to anyway." Piera shrugged and considered possibly attempting to find out sometime later.

"I figure maybe knowing more about the lore may come in handy in the future. Doesn't hurt to be well read or prepared. Aaand gives me something to do, stave off the boredom. Not all of us have as fun professions as you." The alchemist teased lightly.

The ginger's gaze turned from the brunette yet again, looking upon the books that lined the shelves one last time. Her mention of the lore of Aincrad peaked his attention. "Hm, guess adding books about the castle's creation and the world below just help to add to the realism of this world... or for those hard core role players.." he let out a small chuckle. Jomei forced a smile, the thought of how entertaining this game would be if the risk of death was not real.. if they could log in and out as they pleased.. but of course, that was not the case "..but I don't think anyone has game playing on their mind, and just want to survive and get the hell out of here." 

Running his fingers along the spines of the books yet again, Jomei's eyes took quick glances at all of the names etched onto the sides of the books. The tips of his fingers stopped when he reached the red leather backing of a book, Melodies of the Castle in The Clouds stitched into the side in black lettering. Gripping the side of the book, Jomei pulled it from the shelf, the two pieces of literature lining it tilting into the now open space that it left. Holding the book's spine in one hand, Jomei let the two leather coated covers fall to the side, and used his other hand to quickly flip through the pages. Some of the sheets had lines of music written out on the, while others contained words just waiting to be attached to a melody. Jomei's eyes rose back to Piera with a forced half smile, "Hey. Being a Performer may be fun.. but just look at what being an Alchemist got you." Jomei brought a hand out, gesturing to the room, but referring to the entirety of the house they stood in, "I would have been out on the streets or moving from inn to inn if they didn't allow some sort of bed in the shops."

Hearing Jomei's unusually pessimistic outlook on the situation caused a frown to tug at the brunette's mouth, but she could hardly blame him. Nodding with straight back, Piera replied, "You're right. But sometimes knowing the lore can help get through the game. Certain quests needing knowledge that one not completely immersed might not have unless they've been observant. We assume that just clearing the floors til we get to one hundred will beat the game and free us. And I still hope that's the case. But plenty of other games haven't been as easy. Sometimes there's a twist or an additional puzzle to go with it." Shrugging, she laid bare, "Not like I'm out there with you guys helping clear anyways. This is something that I can do and that I hope might help in the long run."

Neutral expression warmed just a little as she watched the ginger flip through a book of music. Maybe she'd try and get him to play for her again. Or... A twist of concern stabbed through Piera as she realized she didn't entirely know what he'd been through. Herself and Lee had different experiences though they were captured together. Trying to hide her mounting distress and concern she attempted to ask nonchalantly, "Would you like to take that book? Or...are you not going to be up to...crafting just yet?"

Laughing a little more than might be normal for such an easy comment from her friend, said alchemist retorted, "Being an alchemist didn't get me this. Hell, I didn't have anything to do with this." Looking around the library with contentedness. "Lee found this place all on his own. Was abandoned, think it had some sort of quest or something? I... wasn't around at the time. We'd been fighting." She shrugged with feigned indifference. "But I definitely know what you mean." Giving a sympathetic smile as her head tilted, surveying her friend. "If it weren't for the fact that Lee's shop was right against mine, things would've been awkward indeed. Not that they weren't anyways sometimes. So cramped, especially once we both got familiars." Sighing, the brunette shook her head before something occurred to her, green eyes brightening behind oval lenses. "C'mon, I wana show you something else." 

Beckoning the Irishman, Piera lead them out of the library, through the hallway and they were back at the entryway. This time, she started up the grand staircase with a spring in her step, veering right at the fork. Turning left in the hall, she then opened up an inconspicuous door with a playful smile, gesturing for Jomei to enter the room

Olive green eyes rose from the pages of the of the combined manuscripts to meet Piera when she offered the book to him. It was a piece of her collection, and she was just willing to give it away to him, all because of his interest in music. As his gaze fell back to the book again, his mouth slowly stretched into a small, genuine smile. His fingertips glided across the stacked pages, before closing the book with an audible thud. "Thank you Alyssa.." he said softly, "It may help me to get my mind off of things, so I'll take it." Tapping on the front cover of the book, the item disappeared in his hands as he set it into his inventory for later. 

"Oh.. right." Jomei responded a bit bashfully to Piera telling him that they had found the mansion rather than bought it for a second time. "I forgot you mentioned that earlier." he ended with a small chortle, bringing a hand up to rub at the nape of his neck. The man could not hide the frown that pulled at the corners of his mouth at the small mention of her and Lee fighting, and things sometimes being awkward with their shops residing in such close proximity. He wondered for a moment what started the conflicts between the two, and if him being around could have been a means to prevent it, or at least to be there for Piera. Despite, he was just happy the two were still going strong in their relationship.. At least someone was.

Catching Jomei's attention yet again, Piera led Jomei off back the way they came and up the stairs of the overly large staircase. "Jeez.. how do you not get lost here.." Jomei said under his breath, his mind trying to map out the layout of what he had already seen of the manor. Piera stopped just after turning down a new hall and opened the door to what looked like a simple bedroom. Light poured in through the three windows on the opposite side of the room,  brightening the green sheets of the bed in the corner. There was not much else aside from a side table, a desk, and a few shelves, and the fact that everything looked untouched led Jomei to believe that this was not the master bedroom where Piera and Lee slept. "Whats this room for?" Jomei questioned the girl.

Letting out a genuine laugh as she heard his murmur of how one didn't get lost in the massive home, Piera explained with mirth, "A lot of exploration and retracing one's steps. And process of elimination. Our bedroom is in the opposite direction and there isn't a whole lot else that way so this is the way to go." Shrugging, the alchemist continued along the hallway and waited for Jomei to look the room over, attempting and mostly failing to gauge his reaction. Smile pulling at the corner of her mouth, the brunette replied plainly, "It's just a spare room we keep in case friends need a place to stay for a while." Glancing at the ginger pointedly. "You can use it for however long you like. It's yours. I know it's not much, but at least it's somewhere other than your shop until you get back on your feet. Just don't be startin' too many wild parties while we're out, okay?" Smirking at her friend and obviously teasing.