[PP-F1] Training for the Hunt (Winik) [Complete]

Back on the first floor, where adventures began and are still waiting to begin.  The hunter could still remember the months that he spent on this floor, but some of it had long since become hazy.  He could still remember the field where his hunter days began, and the fountain that started his friendships that lasted to this day.  However, he still couldn't remember the people that took care of him during the first days of Aincrad, when the creator of this world, Kayaba Akihiko, decided to trap everyone in his castle in the sky.

While the hunter reminisced of the good days, he turned back to the reason why he was on the first floor.  Standing by the entrance to the Town of Beginnings, he awaited his client.  He had received a message from someone on this floor, asking for help with hunting mobs and gaining col.  As he could remember the trials that he had to go through, the hunter was always ready to help anyone in the Town of Beginnings to venture forth.

"It shouldn't be long now."

Edited by Hirru

Winik jogged to the entrance of the Town of Beginnings, he'd overslept and now he was running late. "Why do I always do this to myself?!," he cried to the winds, pushing himself to run faster. "You know, this would be a lot easier if I had the Sprint skill," he muttered to himself. He screened around corners and burst through crowds. Angry voices were raised after him, but he wasn't about to stop now. Finally, he rounded the last corner to his destination. He skidded to a stop, coming to rest in front of a player standing there. 

"Sorry, *huff* I was late. *huff*," he panted out, bent over with his hands on his knees. He took a moment to compose himself, before straightening to his full 6' height. He smiled warmly and held out his hand to the other player. "I'm Winik, the one who messaged you. I'm so happy you decided to help me out."

It seemed that the hunter would be in for something else when he finally met the his client.  The guy stood a head over the hunter!  Well, this wasn't the first time that he fought with and trained someone taller than himself', the hunter thought to himself while scratching his head.  In doing so, his unusual jade hair would shift from his touch.

"So, you're Winik."

The hunter said while giving a quick look over at the new adventurer to this crazy and unforgiving world.  Winik looked like someone that was trying for a heavy tank build, at least, that's what information he could get out of the member of the front lines that have met him.  It would be a long road for him, so they might as well get started.

"You want me to help you hunt down some mobs down here, correct?  Well, we might as well start with the basics."

He said while leading the young tank to the field.  In the field there were several boars grazing on the grass a bit away from them.

"Alright, I'm sure you fought quest mobs before, but this should be a refresher.  Take out one (1) boar.  I want to see what you've got."

Winik - HP: 20/20 | EN: 2/2 | DMG: 2
Boar - HP: 10 / DMG: 3

Read below

Spoiler

OOC: I'm not sure how far you've gotten in any of the quests, but I'll give you a run down on combat.  Sorry if this sounds like babying, but I'm doing this for better understanding.  

You're going to roll for your next post.  I assume you already know how to put your post link in your rolls.  For your "Purpose", put: "Attacking Boar".  Essentially, you are attacking the boar with the One Handed Straight Sword.  This will be relevant later.

When you get your results, you'll get your BD (your attack) and MD (Boar's attack).  You'll need a BD of 6 or higher to successfully hit the boar.  If you don't, then you miss.  The same goes for the boar, as it needs a MD of 6 or higher to hit you.

When calculating damage, you currently do 2 damage, 1 from your base and another from your skill.  If you successfully hit the boar, you will do that 2 damage to it.  This doesn't go for the Boar, as they can't perform multiplier moves.  It will only do 3 damage, unless it crits.  If either you or the boar roll a 9 or 10, then you or the boar will get +1 / +2 depending on what you rolled, but only for a roll of 9 or 10.

You have probably noticed that you have energy as well as health.  Energy lets you do all attacks, combat skills, and other actions.  If you succeed in attacking the enemy, you will spend 1 EN (Short for energy).  At level 1, you have 2 EN, so you can't use all of your current sword arts, which is why I suggested that you attack it normally, without sword arts.  However, if you miss you lose 2 EN.  Don't worry though, as you will regenerate 1 EN on your next turn (your next post).

Sorry bout the long explaination, let us see how you do.

ID: 84618

BD: 4

MD:9

Winik followed after the green haired player, clenching the hilt of his sword uncertainly.  'I really don't know what I'm doing,' he thought. 'I'm just going to embarrass myself.' Together the duo made their way into the fields surrounding the Town of Beginnings.  Boars could be seen ambling around aimlessly, just waiting for the first person to draw aggro on them.  

Winik sighed heavily, looking warily at Hirru.  'What's he going to think when he finds out I'm a complete noob at this?,' Winik pondered to himself.  With a deep breath, he set about settling himself before trying to face his first adversary.  He looked up at his HUD, checking to see his current HP and EN levels.  'Okay,' he thought. 'I don't have enough EN for any of the sword arts, so I should just try my look with a regular sword strike.' With his course of action in mind, he took another deep breath followed by a long exhale.  He settled his feet shoulder width apart, keeping himself on the balls of his feet.  He settled his sword into the ox guard position, his arm raised and his sword held horizontally by his head.  With a roar of determination, he charged at the boar, swinging his sword down as hard as he could.  Just as expected, his blow missed and the tip of his sword buried itself into the dirt of the field.  The boar squealed with indignation, spinning to glare at Winik with beady red eyes.  Winik gulped as the boar pawed the ground, a sudden squeal erupting from its throat as it made its move.  It charged at Winik, the animal's tusks digging into his gut before throwing him threw the air and to the ground.

Winik - HP: 16/20 | EN: 1/2 | DMG: 2
Boar - HP: 10 / DMG: 3

Edited by Winik

The hunter knew what he was putting the lad through when he told him to fight a single boar along.  He could tell that Winik was a new player that had realized their potential.  No one worth their salt actually lived in the Town of Beginnings, after all.  So, when the stalwart blonde fumbled his first attack, and got hit hard instead, the hunter didn't show any sign of worry or embarrassment.  A bit of his health was taken out, but not much to worry about.  Not like the old times, he thought.  Two hits from a boar could kill a man, but things seem to be going better for the first floor players.  Maybe, Kayaba was giving them a break, or something.

"Don't worry.  That happens every now and then.  Keep at it, your energy will regenerate as you fight."

The hunter would keep watch, in case something happened to Winik, but he doubted that it would get that bad.  If it ever did, he would take out the boar instead.

[ID: 84619] [LD: 1+8=9] Nothing found

Winik - HP: 16/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 2 (-4 from Boar Crit) (Miss = -2 EN)
Boar - HP: 10/10 | DMG: 3

Edited by Hirru

ID: 84620

BD: 6

MD: 10

Winik grit his teeth, pushing himself to his feet with the help of his sword.  He swung around on the boar, which was now chewing grass off to the side like nothing mattered.  He returned his sword to the ox guard, and again charged at the boar.  He dropped his arm this time, leveling his sword at his waist and going for a horizontal backhand slash.  Winik watched as the red pixels flew from his successful hit.  His eyes widened and he cheered, raising his arms into the air.  

He really shouldn't have been celebrating so merrily, however.  His attack did minimal danger and the boar looked p***ed.  It squealed with indignation, charging at Winik before leaping through the air.  The tusks bored into Winik once again, this time landing a high critical.  Winik was blown off his feet, being sent tumbling backwards head over heels through the dirt.  He stabbed his blade into the ground, eyeing his HP bar wearily.  It was dropping a lost faster than he would like.

Winik - HP: 11/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 2 (-5 from Boar Crit) (-1 EN from Attack)
Boar - HP: 8/10 | DMG: 3 (-2 from Winik Attack)

Edited by Winik

The fight seemed to be going ever so roughly.  The boar was doing critical hit after critical hit to the poor tank to be.  That would have to be one more thing to teach him about as they went on.  Though, the hunter also thought about giving the guy some starter weaponry and armor, but that would just be adding to a mess.  He needed to know if Winik could handle the basics, which he was to a certain extent.  If he had leveled up at all, he would be able to take the boar out much quicker, but that was circumstance that couldn't be helped.  Instead of worrying about that, the hunter just drew his long sword, propped it in the ground, and leaned on it like a cane.

"Hmm.. the boars are more restless than I thought.  Should record this later.."

The hunter said mostly to himself, but aloud enough for anyone close to notice.

Winik angrily raised himself to his feet, stabbing the blade of his sword into the ground angrily.  It sank much further than the last time and he wasn't minding the durability.  He was mad, this pig was making a fool out of him. 'How the hell am I supposed to be a tank if I keep getting blown off my feet!,' he thought to himself angrily.  He grit his teeth, his eyes lit up with a wrath fueled by embarrassment.  'I'm not going to let this damn pig get the better of me!,' he promised himself.  He readied his sword again, preparing himself for another attack.

ID: 84622

BD: 10

MD: 6

The boar swung back around, coming for the young knight to be.  He prepared himself, turning his sword down into a plow guard.  The boar careened  into him, gashing his leg as it charged past.  Winik took the blow, watching as his health dipped past the halfway point.  He grit his teeth and rushed after the boar, running parallel with the rampaging beast.  With a roar of anger, he brought his sword up.  To his surprise, it began to glow a bright blue and he felt something take control of his arm.  His blade swung down, striking the boar across the neck for a Critical blow.

Winik - HP: 8/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 2 (- 3 from Boar) (-1 EN from Attack)
Boar - HP: 4/10 | DMG: 3 (-4 from Winik Crit Attack)

Edited by Winik

The hunter nodded along as the fight continued.  The boar was finally getting what it deserved in this fight as Winik dealt a decisive blow to the boar.  Though the boar was still eager to end him rightly.  If the hunter didn't step in, Winik might be another name scratched out of the Monument of Life.  Without much delay, the hunter would sheath his sword, open his menu to pull out a small red flask, and step out to the young tank.

"You're getting low on health.  Might as well use this."

The hunter said while passing Winik the small red flask.

"It's a minor health potion.  It'll heal fifteen (15) of your health, but it's slow acting, so you may get hit while drinking it."

He said before moving back once again.

"I'd tank for you, but that would draw some unwanted attention that might make things worse."

[Hirru = -1 Minor Health Potion (Heals 15 HP)]

[+1 Minor Health Potion]

Winik took the small, red flask into his hand.  He stepped back from the boar, taking his attention off of it for the time being.  He held it up to the light before shrugging and pulling the top off with his teeth.  The cool potion slid down his throat, eliciting a sigh from the knight in training.  His eyes flickered to his HUD, taking in the fact that his HP was rising back to 20/20.

ID: 84624

BD: 1

MD: 6

Winik had his attention off of the boar, thinking he was out of its aggro field, he wasn't.  As he held the potion to his lips, the boar charged him once again.  The blow took him at the knees, knocking him off of his feet once again.  "You know, I'm getting real tired of being thrown to the dirt by a filthy, stinking pig!," he screamed at the boar.  Of course, the boar didn't understand him but that's just semantics.  Even after getting his life back up, it was knocked down again.

Winik - HP: 17/20 | EN: 1/2 | DMG: 2 (+ 15 from potion, - 3 from Boar) (+1 EN)
Boar - HP: 4/10 | DMG: 3 

Edited by Winik

"Believe me when I say that we all were."

The hunter said aloud to the young tank.  Many adventurers have come through these fields.  A few perished by the very boars that they face now, but most went on to greater challenges.  At least, that was what the hunter could gather.  The informational network that hung in the shadows of every corner would collect all the irrelevant info that one could get within every single floor, and sell it for a high price.  A good amount of it was on the inhabitants of each floor from the mid levels, but even more so for the high levels.  He only knew about the handful that he frequently hunted with.

"The boar is in the yellow.  I'd say you can easily take it within the next minute or so."

He would say while back in his leaning over sword/cane stance.  There wasn't much else that he could actually do without going out and hunting a King Boar, or find a pack of wolves, but that would mean leaving Winik alone.  No, he took this job to train the boy up, and that was what he was going to do.

Edited by Hirru

'Here's to not letting him down,' Winik thought to himself.  He pushed himself back to his feet, snatching his sword off the ground as he stood.  He swung his sword slowly back and forth, moving the blade in small circles as he flicked his wrist.  Suddenly, he readied his stance, raising his arm above his head.  The blue glow of Vertical took over and Winik rocketed across the ground towards the boar.

ID: 84627

BD: 4

MD: 9

And of course, the RNG was not in his favor and he ended up embarrassing himself again.  His blade flashed through the air, biting into the dirt next to the boar's head.  The boar squealed angrily before running its head into Winik's gut.  'Critical hit,' he thought, bracing himself against the sword buried in the ground.  'He says something and of course I had to go and ruin it.' He felt himself redden in embarrassment, not wanting to look over and see the disappointment on his trainer's face.

Winik - HP: 13/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 2 (- 4 from Boar Critical Attack) (-2 EN)

Edited by Winik

"Hmm.. alright."

The hunter said much more to himself than anyone else while nodding his head.  There was always going to be something that impedes progress, and that thing was always some sort of unforeseen circumstance or something that could have been prevented, but wasn't.  He had seen that happen plenty of times before, most of them were from his own misfortune.   Damned bugs and their incessant buzzing and pissing him off, would flow from his mind as if he were fighting the Queen Wasp all over again.  By the gods, he was glad that he didn't have to deal with that anymore.  Though, there was new info about that quest becoming more feral.  He should look into it some time. 

Looking into the fight some more, the hunter wondered if he should just intervene, but decided against it.  This was teaching the boy an important lesson, and he was sure that it would come in handy for him in the future.

Winik grit his teeth, he was going to end this thing once and for all.  He swiveled on his heel, his blade a deadly arc of flashing steel.  He knew that without the system helping him he'd only be inflicting minimal damage, but he didn't care.  He was mad now.  His honor and pride were both wounded, his embarrassment was at an all time high.  He talked big, but where was that getting him? Nowhere, that's where. With his teeth bared, he brought his blade to the boar in its deadly arc.

ID: 84630

BD: 3

MD: 10

Winik swore under his breath as he watched the blade swing through the empty air above the boar.  "What the hell?!." he swore loudly.  His momentum carried him forward, the boar appeared to be almost grinning.  It lowered its head before bringing it up viciously.  The tusks tore into Winik's stomach and it threw him through the air to crash into the earth behind it.  It let out a series of squeals, they sounded like laughter to Winik.  This just led him to lose his temper even further.  "Why does the RNG hate me so much?!"

Winik - HP: 8/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 2 (- 5 from Boar Critical Attack) (-2 EN)

Edited by Winik

"Hmm.."

The hunter murmured to himself before taking out another minor health potion out from his expansive inventory.  This fight definitely wasn't going to be finished any time soon, especially how the boars were acting on this floor.  They shouldn't be this violent, but he was bring critical hit by the same boar for nearly his full health twice.  This thought would actually put a smile on the hunter's face, as it had been a long time since he had seen such luck towards a player.  He could truly become a good tank with this sort of damage sponging.

In the end, the hunter would walk over once more to hand another Minor Health Potion to Winik.

"I don't have an infinite supply of these, so you better hope that boar misses next time."

He would say while backing away from the fight before something else happened to draw attention to him.

[Hirru = -1 Minor Health Potion (Heals 15 HP)]

[+1 Minor Health Potion]

Winik thanked the Hunter, turning to scowl at the pig. He raised the goal to his lips and downed the potion once again.

ID# 84664 

BD: 3

MD: 2 

Winik watched his health rise again, enjoying the cool sensation of the potion. His HP returned to normal, eliciting a sigh of relief from the tank. Another really note, the boar actually left him alone this time. He was ecstatic to see that he's get the chance to actually heal before the same, filthy pig came back for another round. 

Winik turned his head, calling over his shoulder, "Thank you for the pots. I'd be a goner if you hadn't given them to me. I'm going to make sure to pay you back for them, it's the least I can do."

Edited by Winik

The hunter nodded at the thankful tank to be before continuing the authoritative gesture of standing watch and supervising the actions of the rookie.  There was much that he would have to do to become a stalwart tank.  Of course, there were the many skills that were required for a tank to be recognized by the front.  Grand mastering block, heavy armor, battle healing, and obtaining howl were the main skills that were sought after.  That was over one hundred and sixty skill points (160 SP) for just that, and then they required mitigation from his armor set would throw him into many adventures to come.  All of it would be too much for many others, but that didn't stop the tanks that he knew on the front.  The hunter could see Winik going that far too.

That is, if he ever killed this boar.

"Alright, so you have your health at max, and the boar doesn't understand what just happened.  What do you do?"

"Press the attack?," was his reply, as he readied his sword again.  'I'm going to do it this time,' he told himself, rushing the boar with the blade held out horizontally.

ID# 84693 results:

Battle: 5

MOB: 10

And just like all the other times, his blade whistled through the air and completely bypassed the boar.  It squealed a series of mocking sounds before burying its head in Winik's gut.  He flew through the air once again and came crashing back down next to the green haired hunter.  "I'm sorry I'm such an embarrassment.  Damn pig seems to have it out for me," Winik apologized to the hunter.  He was losing any motivation he had, the agony of his humiliation catching up to him and causing his stomach to roll.  This was getting out of hand and Winik was absolutely powerless to do anything about it.  Why did it have to be him who had to mess everything up?  Why couldn't it have been anyone else?

Winik - HP: 15/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 2 (- 5 from Boar Critical Attack) (-2 EN)

Edited by Winik

"No you're doing quite well.  Despite all of the failed attempts."

[ID: 84697]
[BD: 3+2 (ACC) +1 (Concentration)] 6 Hit

The hunter drew his sword and with a single slash that did not glow of sword art proficiency, he slew the boar without pause.  The boar would squeal before stopping awkwardly in the air before shattering into thousands of shards of light.  They would float upwards while continuing to shatter into much smaller light until they were no more.  The hunter would look upon them before placing his gaze at the, no doubt bewildered, Winik.

"Though, that is why I brought you out here.  To teach you the first lesson that will become the rest of your life here in Aincrad."

He would say while walking over to him.

"All of that embarrassment that you feel.  What would that have become if I was not here?  Fear?  Anger?  Sadness?  That was what 2000 people have already gone through, but they don't have the liberty of feeling those any more.  They lost their lives, some even to the very pigs that you just fought."

Waving out to the fields as he spoke.

"You now know what they went through.  Do not ever forget it as you become one of us; one of the front lines.  We fight, not just for those that live scared in the town of beginnings; not just for those that fight to preserve our very being; not just for the world outside, but also for those that can not fight anymore."

He then turned his eyes back to the tank to be.

"If you wish to go back to the town, then go right ahead.  However!  If you wish to protect those that can not protect themselves; that have fallen and cannot rise with us once more, then shout your name and your true goal to the heavens, and let it be known that you are one of us."

Edited by Hirru

"Um, can we skip the screaming part? I don't think I could handle it if we drew any aggro right now," Winik shot back. He was mortified that Hirru had to take care of the kill for him. 'I know I'm a tank, but I should be able to take out a mob on my own," he berated himself. 

Winik stared where the boar once stood, mulling over his failure. 'I'm too low leveled, under equipped, and lack the necessary skills. I'm going to get myself killed,' he thought to himself.

He turned to the green haired adventurer, an apology on his lips. "I'm really sorry you got stuck with this. This seems a little under your skill level." Winik hung his head in shame, he felt bad for someone having come help him and all they did was get to see him have his rear handed to him by a filthy pig. "You probably had better plans for your time than dealing with a noob, but I'm really thankful for all your help."

Edited by Winik