(F6-PP) The Puzzle (Eatos, Atzo)

Atzo sat on the familiar stone at the Waterfall of the Sage, waiting patiently for Eatos. He had sent a message to her as soon as he arrived there to inform her that he would be heading up and asking her to join him for the date if she was free. He was early, very early, mostly because he wanted to make sure he planned the walk out correctly. He still wondered what had happened that day on floor four. It left him completely drained the next day, though he didn’t mind it. He whistled the melody to the song 'Mr. Sandman' as he waited and meditated. His eyes closed, legs crossed, slightly dozing. He was at peace here ever since he completed <<Calming the Soul>>. He hoped that he would hear her approach but doubted it given how he was on the verge of falling asleep, the calming presence of the waterfall aiding this. He was wearing The King's Cloth, his new blade <<Deterioration>> at his hip. He held the <<Hoya of Minos>> loosely in his hand, slowly fidgeting with it.

@Eatos

Edited by Atzo

Eatos was sure, if her friends could see her, they'd laugh at her. She knew that in Sword Art Online, clothes were much more linear than in the real world, where you can chop and choose what you want. But, while her armour 'Guardian Angel', wasn't anything close to formal wear, but it was what she liked. Didn't stop her from ensuring it was clean, locking up her store. She did contemplate taking Angel, but opted to leave her behind with a cuddle before finding her way to the 6th floor. 

She did get lost on her way there, but found her way there. It wasn't hard to spot him, he was sitting and humming to himself? She walked up to him, and tapped him on the shoulder "Heya sleepy-head" She said teasingly as looked down at him "I got a tad lost on my way here, but i made it. I was gunna bring Angel, but she spent all of yesterday exploring and jumping and was just so sleepy that i didn't have it in me to wake her up..." 

@Atzo

Atzo was slightly startled, as see by his quick tensing and relaxing. He blinked a couple times as his blurry vision was cleared. “Hey, how are you doing today?” It was a nice sight to wake up to, he couldn’t deny that. He had his normal smirk-like grin on his face. “Well, at least you made it here. It is good to see that you are unharmed, and it is probably best to let her sleep. I am sure she will be full of energy when you get back though.” Atzo felt… something seeing here there. It was good but he couldn’t place the emotion. He assumed it was happiness but still. He hopped off the rock and stood beside her. “Well, shall we walk a little bit? Take in the scenery?” It was strange how calm he felt, though that was partially why he chose this place. It had a tendency to calm people. He hoped it would have the same effect on her but didn’t hold his breath. Instead he chose to focus on the opportunity he had before him. Perhaps he could learn more about emotions today, learn more about Eatos and himself both.

@Eatos

Eatos nodded her head when they talked about her Angel, the pup had worked herself into a mess the last day, sniffing and exploring the store, and being the recipient of a LOT of cuddling. It had tired the poor pupper out, so she expected a hyper little doggo when she got back to her store. 

She walked up near Atzo, not coming into contact with him, but...close. She could feel her heart within her chest beating methodically, calmly. It had often been like that, a steady firm beat within her chest that she used to calm herself. It was as simple as that. The scenery was lovely, and while she was certain that it would calm others, she was already calm. Still, a walk would be lovely.

"A walk sounds amazing Atzo. I can see why you pick this place, i can see it from here. You seem more relaxed than usual"

@Atzo

Atzo casually glanced around, not nervously or with precision like normal. Instead he was taking in the environment. He walked with his arms loosely at his sides once more. He gave a little light hearted chuckle “Yeah, I took a strange quest a while back here that was about physically fighting your inner demons. Ever since then I have always felt calm here. Also you seem to be able to relax my tense muscles.” He kept walking, and observed her demeanor as well. She seemed happy or at least calm, though he did not know why. “What am I supposed to say?” he asked himself, “for the first time in years I don’t know. How is this different from the other dates I went on? Is it the strange feeling? The fact I have sincere intentions?” They kept walking, he could feel his hand brush against hers. It dawned on him just how little he knew about this, though he wasn’t concerned by it. Instead it was okay, he had a reason to be okay and trust himself instead of worry about everything he said.

@Eatos

There was a quest to fight your own demons physically? That, seemed odd. Yet it would explain a great deal about Atzo's mini shift. She wondered if he even noticed it, but he seemed more relaxed than before. Less formal, less worrying, and more like a leader. While part of her wanted to know what he faced, it wasn't her place to ask and besides, she had a pretty good guess at what they were. 

"To fight that which torments you...These game developers really though of everything huh?" She said as they walked. She felt her hand brush up against his, and while she didn't move to take his, neither did she move it away. Unlike Atzo, this was a game she knew rather well. The 'hunt', as her friends refereed to it, was something she had decent understanding and control over. Although, more often she did it just to tease the boys who she knew wanted her, but had 0 interest in herself. But this, wasn't one of those games. She wouldn't say she was trying to lead him on, but neither could she say that the calmness that she felt, the slower beating within her chest, wasn't caused by Atzo in some manner. 

"You know, if someone would have asked me to do something like this in any other game, i'd of just rolled my eye at them and gone to read a book...It's weird how real this game feels..." 

Atzo nodded “I realize how exact things are and how fantastically they have been created every time I set foot on a new floor. In a way, this is real. Its not like we can think ‘well you don’t know me in real life so there is no reason to get attached.’ this is our lives. There is no outside world for us as it stands. Is it a simulation? Yeah, but who is to say that our lives in the ‘real world’ isn’t? And does knowing that you live in a simulated world change the fact that it is real to you? It depends on the person but to me it doesn’t. I have the chance to live a different, better life here. I have the possibility to do what I want, Be who I want. Saying this is just a game in my eyes is beside the point. We are having experiences that are just as real as if we were in the real world.” He paused and sighed “That is why this is hard for me. I am not used to being sincere with my emotions, being sincere with my intentions for… romance? I think is the word. So this is completely foreign to me. Normally I do this to gain trust and information, I have a plan mapped out. I know exactly how my time with the person will go and all the different ways it can go. I don’t have that now, I don’t have a goal in mind. I don’t have a plan. But that is okay, I am happy to be with you. I am happy to be having experience with someone I trust and have this strange admiration for. Its… Nice” 
He realized when he was done that he had probably said too much at once, “[censored],” He thought “I really need to take better care with my words.”
@Eatos

Despite all that Atzo said, the girl was silent as she spoke. Not interupting, not giving him a glare. She knew that she wanted him to speak his honest mind, not to hide behind lies. And to do that, she had to be supportive of him in his entirely. So instead of acting, she walked aside and listened. And they did agree, in a way. Eatos was, despite everything, still struggling to adapt fully. She was still struggling to accept that Sword Art Online was her new 'reality' for the time being. She knew it was a fact, didn't mean she had to accept it without any questions.

Intentions of Romance?! She suspected he was fond of her, but romance?! She was very very caught off-guard, but tried her best not to show it. Of all things, she hadn't expected that to come from him. Still, she had to move 'past it', otherwise that would be all that consumed her mind.

"Sometimes, it doesn't need an intention" She said as she continued walking along the path, a soft smile biting at her lips "Sometimes you can just, do things for the sake of doing them. I used to spent hours just reading novels, no point to them, other than to simply enjoy the time"

Atzo noticed the slight surprise when he said the word romance. Though he didn’t mention it, he had no idea how to even begin to address it. Instead he changed the topic of his mind, focusing on what she said.
Atzo was silent for a while as he toyed with the idea of doing things without intentions. It was so foreign to him, and yet it was what he was doing. Strange how these things were. “What did you like to read?” He didn’t know what it was like to do things for enjoyment, the closest he ever came was when he would go to the forest with Ren but even then they had intention. He began to wonder why he hadn’t ran from this yet. Why he hadn’t turned away. He was used to change, sure. But this was different, this was unique change. “Perhaps I should just admit defeat for one in my life, admit that I can’t succeed, that I won't.” he thought. “Why is it that I don't want to here? What is it that keeps me from this? Determination? Or  something else?” There was a slight, perhaps unnoticeable, tint of sadness in his eyes as he thought about it.
@Eatos

Eatos hadn't expected books to be the next topic, although, she couldn't hide the happiness that emerged on her face. Oh how she absolutely adored books! She tapped her foot on the ground as if trying to think, before shrugging. She had been attempting to pick a single book, but failed. Then a single book series. Another failure. She couldn't pick one, couldn't ever just pick a single book that consumed her. 

"Oh there are so many books!" She said happily "I prefer fantasy adventure books, daring heros and horrible villians and plot twists, oh those things i adore!"  There was a certain childish look to her as she spoke about her love for books, paper mashed together with printed workds. Of course, that's not how she saw books, not even close. They were stories, adventures that could take anyone, even boring little her, into a world where anything, and sometimes everything, was possible! "Throne of Glass, City of Series, and anything by Mathew Reiley all just speak to me!" It took her several moments to come down, before returning his very same question. "Did you ever, you know, read books in your spare time...?"

Eatos lit up with joy, it was an interesting sight. “Huh, that is really cute” Atzo thought to himself a smile on his face. Before thinking about the best answer to that question. “Kinda… I mean, I read a lot but until recently it wasn’t really by my choice. That's not to say I didn’t enjoy it, though. I read textbooks mostly, though I prefered to read fantasy and adventure, I could imagine the books and put myself in the shoes of the main character and break free of my life for a while. Specifically the Artemis Fowl series, The Alchemist series, and anything by H.P. Lovecraft. Though I read more than just those. Most of the time I could get my parents to let me by telling them I was studying literature.” 
They was a clearing in front of them, it was beach like. Atzo walked over to it and took a seat in the sand. They had a clear view of the crystal-like waterfall that had a smooth constant calming sound to it. 
@Eatos

She wouldn't lie, she hadn't heard of any of those names. And while she'd never admit to having loved every book she read, it was still intesting to hear about them. Even if now, she couldn't read them anymore. It had put a damper on her good mood for some times, but it wasn't the end of it all. Still, she couldn't imagine being forced to read ever. Reading was done for pleasure, to escape the harsh reality. Not something forced upon one to learn. At least, that was her opinion, all be it a childish one. 

The arrival of the beach had, well, mixed opinions from Eatos. On one hand, she knew that beaches were meant to be lovely. But, she was born and raised in England where the nicest beaches were stoney and cold. It wasn't that it was horrible, but rather, just one that she hadn't experienced before. She sat herself down near Atzo, and ran a hand through the sand. 

"Oh, i know what you mean perfectly. Books are...are like portals, in a way. A place to escape, Oh how i used to do nothing but read for days at an end..." The girl smiled, distant, as she recalled memories. Oh those days when life was so simple. "I should ask, Atzo... If we ever escape this game, w-whats your plan?"

Atzo thought for a moment, it was a topic he had avoided trying to think about up until this point. He shrugged “I guess try to live a better life. Keep connected to those I have met in the game. Attempt to reintegrate into society. Continue my studies and hopefully settle down and start a family. Though, I can’t say I really know for sure. I am afraid of a lot when I go back to the real world. Will I have a group of cops waiting for me? Will I be able to escape my old life? I don’t have hope like everyone else seems to. I have fear of what will come, fear of what is in store for me. I still want to help everyone get back to their lives, but I am scared.” He brought his knees up to his chest, sadness apparent in his eyes. He looked into the water, trying to calm back down. It was hard for him to handle the problems that faced him when it came time to enter into the real world again.  “What about you? What are your plans?” 
@Eatos

He was...scared?! That wasn't the answer she'd been expecting at all, she had expected him to go back to what he had been doing before, but to hear that he was scared of returning to the real world. In a way, it made perfect sense. He'd been trapped in this game for so long already, how knew how many more years they'd be forced to slave away in this game. Would his crimes catch up to him? There was no way of knowing, and that, of itself, could be terrifying. She put her arm around him, no one deserved, even someone who has claimed the lives of others, no one should live in constant fear like this. 

"My plans...?" To be honest, she'd put little thought into it. She'd always sorta assumed she'd go back to her old life. But the real question is, could she forgot all she'd witnessed? No. That simply wouldn't be possible "Originally, go back to my old life....But honestly? I think i'll, do something of my life. Make surviving worthwhile..Hell, i might become a therapist instead, i....i honestly have no idea..." There were so many things she could do if she survived, IF. It all rided on them escaping, and her being alive when they did. 

Atzo felt her arm around him and relaxed quite a bit. He listened to her, she had a point in what she said. “You would definitely make a good therapist.” He said trying to keep the sadness out of his voice.

Then a though crossed his mind. “You aren’t allowed to die Eatos.” He abruptly stopped, surprised that he had said that aloud, but chose to continue anyways “I-I need someone to be there for me. You are the first person in my life that I can say I truly trust with my soul. You are so willing to help me through my problems. You are actually there for me, and reliable. You are the first person that I have ever wanted to keep alive over my own life and safety…. So, please, promise me you won't die… Don’t leave me alone again.” His eyes began to water and a tear ran down his cheek. He continued to stare at the water, remembering how cold it was to be alone. How unforgiving the world was when you have no one to turn to. He didn’t want to go back to that. That coldness that he was used to, that sorrow that had plagued him. 

@Eatos

She was VERY taken aback but his sudden statement. She wasn't, allowed to die? Where had that come from? She did nothing but listen and watch as Atzo, like a turtle emerging from its shell, opened up to her about, well. Her. She knew he valued her, why would he give her a high rank within the guild and put this amount of faith in her. But even so, to put that much value on her, caught even herself off-guard. 

"You put that much value on my life?" she asked, even though she knew the answer was yes "Atzo i had no idea...." She was partly stunned. She hadn't expected this, not at all. She found herself searching for the words,right as his tears started to fall. She couldn't stop herself, and she hugged him, both arms wrapped around him tightly. She whispered right into his hear"I promise Atzo, for as long as i'm alive, you won't be alone. I'll look after you any way i have to..." She wasn't saying it purely becuase its what he wanted to hear, but because, she meant it also. 

Before he knew what was happening Eatos had embraced him fully. She promised to look after him, voices were swirling in his mind. He didn’t know what to do or what to say. Though words and actions began to spill out of his mouth, as he shook his head. His voice was meek “N-no, I don’t deserve to be looked after…. I-i deserve to be alone. After all I have done, after all the hate I have propagated throughout the world, all the lies, pain and horror. I don’t deserve to be cared for. I don’t deserve to be alive. I don’t deserve people caring about me, and least of all do I deserve love. I don’t deserve to experience it, I don't deserve to get it… i-im sorry” Tears streamed down his face, he quivered as he sat there in her embrace, though he didn’t pull away. He didn’t have the strength to pull away. So much went through his mind, so much telling him that he wasn’t worth it. He couldn’t lock it away anymore, he couldn’t hide it. It poured out of him like rain during a hurricane. 

@Eatos

Even as Atzo told her he wasn't worth the effort, even as he went on about how he didn't deserve it, the girl didn't let him go. She waited until he was silent in her arms before talking, her hug keeping him trapped where he was. Eventually, she spoke, but she spoke as just a whisper in his ear. "You don't get to make this decision for me" she calm, calmly, but firmly "I won't let you tell me that you're not worth the effort, that you don't deserve people caring for you.. If i want to care, if i want to help you, then i'm going to do it Atzo. And i'm not taking anything else as an answer" 

He might say he wasn't worth the effort, or that he didn't want it, but that wasn't an answer she was willing to accept. Because she'd been in his place before, or close to, where she was broken and didn't feel as if she was worth any effort. Yet, here was was, recovered thank to the effort that was slaved into her when she needed it most, even when she didn't know she needed it. It was her turn to pay back that favour and save somene from themselves, even if they didn't want the help. 

Atzo shuttered again, feeling the hug tighten. He didn’t speak for quite some time, slowly calming himself down. Finally he took a deep breath, though there was regret in his eyes. “I’m sorry… I know this isn’t how these things are supposed to go.” he put his arms around her in return, finally returning the hug. “I just, it's harder to keep things to myself when I am around you.” he looked down after that before looking into her amber eyes, his emotions shifted to deturmination “But, I am okay with that, being open around you. I hope you feel the same way.” he took another deep breath, not breaking eye contact. “I have to ask though, why are you putting in so much effort? Why haven’t you ran from me? After all that I have told you, all the things that have shown parallels to that guy… why are you still here comforting me?” He wasn’t being accusatory, but the determination hadn’t left him. He wanted to know if she actually knew, or if this was just as odd to her as it was to him.
@Eatos

He wasn't wrong, this wasn't how things were 'normally' meant to go, but yet, it never bothered her. Because for her, nothing had ever been normal, nothing had gone 'normally', so why would it start now, when she was trapped inside a video game? She kept hugging him, and even when he looked into her eyes, and she looked back, she did loosen the hug, she didn't fully let go of him. 

"You are...similar" she admitted "But you're also so different. When i look at you, I see, a boy trying to be a man. Someone who was forced down this road, but by your own choice, but the choices made for you. He choose to kill because he wanted amusement, you killed because its all you were taught. But most importantly, sitting here, you're not telling me that i have to lie to others for you. You've never asked me to do anything i couldn't refuse...And that's why, you've never  manipulated me..."