[PP-NK-F1] The Poet and the Piper

Volcanic was a bit more lost than usual, but not without a purpose. She was shopping, in a roundabout way. Not that she was actually going to buy anything. Not that she knew what she was even shopping for. But she still was shopping. It was better than admitting she was lost. As she looked through display windows, and watched as NPCs and players alike went through their transactions. It was a good way to pass the day at the very least.

As she walked, she started to pick up on a song, cutting through the din of the afternoon. It was a rock sounding melody floating through the air, though it didn't seem to have any accompaniment that she could hear. Volcanic, the curious sort she was, walked in the direction of the song, wondering who was singing. It was a lovely voice, one of actual talent, and as she walked towards it she started to have some memories come back to her. A band had played this song while she had been waiting in line for the NerveGear with her father. What was the band's name? Psyren she believed it was.

She saw a throng of people passing by the singing person. She couldn't tell at a glance if it was a man or a woman singing. The voice seemed neutral enough to leave it up in the air, and she was a bit surprised that nobody actually approached the singer. Perhaps they had no need to, but Volcanic couldn't let her curiosity die. She walked up to the singer and waved lightly, not wanting to stop the singing, but still interrupting as she said, "Hello. I hardly know the band, as I don't actually live in Japan, but I heard them at a concert once. Are you a fan of that band Psyren?" Volcanic smiled and was ready to back off if the singer ignored her.

@Xander Rush

Xander wasn't sure what to do, ever since entering this hell hole he sort of just..wandered; around the starting city and occasionally peeked out at the rest of the world before booking it back to the city, he wasn't confident in this place, hell, he want even sure if his starter gear was on right. But he was at sure of one thing, he missed his buddies. He hadn't been apart from them in years and being here made him awfully lonely. As he wandered the streets he hummed one of his song, a slow song full of melancholy, listening to his voice echo off the warm cobble stone alley his followed his own voice that lured him into the darkness, closing his eyes and feeling at ease for once he took a deep breath and begin to sing the sad song, his voice shook at first, unsure if he could even sing in a place like this, but once he heard himself he sang louder, grinning and enjoying then moment until a voice called for him, breaking the silence that was the rest of the world to him. He froze for a second then turned to face the woman, both equal parts shocked and happy to meet someone other than the NPC he had been entertaining for the past few days thinking she was real. 

"H-huh?" His eyes grew wide at her worlds and his smile grew as well "yes! I do know them, quite well actually" he chuckled and turned to the woman, slowly making his way to her and nodding, "the name is Xander, it's nice to meet someone that isn't some strange...game robot.." his worlds trailed off actually wondering if she was maybe an NPC? Trying to hide his own confusion he flashed her another winning smile in hopes of befriending someone in this dark world...in a dark alley..

Edited by Xander Rush

Volcanic couldn't help but chuckle at the person as they spoke. His words were reassuring to her. He didn't talk like someone who had a ton of experience with these games, just like her. She put a hand up to her mouth to stifle the giggles a bit as she said, "Yeah, I have trouble with the robot people too. They seem so real, but aren't. It's creepy." Volcanic looked around the alley, reminded of her time living in one. She wondered if this person was also living in an alley. Perhaps she could help them as she had been helped, but that depended on a lot of things. Not the least of which was whether or not they actually wanted the help. Probably best to approach things carefully at first, so as not to overstep boundaries with what could be one of her first real friends in this game. "So, um, what's your name then?" was all she managed to muster.

@Xander Rush

Xander smiled and felt warm inside once the woman giggled, this was real, there's no way she wasn't. His smile was more of a release of confusion and maybe a little twinge of hope. His hand idly touseled the back of his hair as he came further from the darkness and closer the the woman.

"Yeah you're telling me, I've been spending an unhealthy amount of time with what I assumed was a lady friend..turns out she's just a bar wench NPC that's just supposed to be nice to me..and here I thought she was letting me stay in the tavern because she liked me.." realizing he probably said way more than she should have Xander blushed and was taken back by her question, he was sure he blurted his name out when he first saw her but that might have just been nerves. "Uh, still Xander, I hope." He wondered if maybe she was asking for his actual name in which he would probably still reply Xander. It's always been a good enough nickname for him. Straightening out he tilted his head in equal curiosity.

"What might your name be, m'lady?" 

As Volcanic felt a bit of an odd kinship with the blacksmith Lyle, she could understand how one might get attached to an NPC. Though she did feel a bit bad for the idea that poor Xander apparently had gotten used in a way by this NPC. Not that it was really either Xander's or the NPC's fault. No doubt there were people in the game who were far worse and far more abusing than that NPC inadvertently was. Volcanic considered this carefully as she said, "Really though, NPCs are scripted, which means that they can't ever hurt you in a creative way. It's better to be confused with a bar wench who isn't a person, than lead out into a wild by a player bar wench and murdered, right?" Volcanic smiled, and shrugged, accepting Xander's name and giving him a simple, "Volcanic," in return.

Now for the next question. Name was done. But there was one odd question that sat in the back of her mind. Almost unsure if she should actually ask it, she figured the worst that could happen is she offends this poor stranger and moves on with their life. So she started, "Um... can I ask? I'm sorry if this is weird... but are you a guy or a girl?"

@Xander Rush

Edited by Volcanic

Xander gave a gulp and the woman's morbid reply as he started to imagine the wench luring him out and murdering him in cold blood, not even a kiss to ease the pain of death. Then the idea of other players, the same happy, smiling faces that lit up when they met up with their friends, twisted in a snarl as they drained the life from Xander. Shivering from the deep chills that accompanied the thought he whispered. "I never thought of that..maybe it's a good thing I don't leave the city often with others. Maybe if I get stronger I could..maybe.." 

Blushing from the woman's blunt question he looked himself over then chuckled. It's been a while since he was asked that, not that he ever really minded when he was. Outside on this death game Xander dressed how he pleased, not so much in women's clothing but he enjoyed tighter pants and skimpy shirts, he liked the feeling of the breeze on his skin more than he wanted to admit. Usually his over confidence and Carisma had women overlooking his boyish, if not feminine appearance. But here, where the odds were against him  and the clothing starts sported being..mostly unisex, he didn't really have the time to openly flirt with anyone other than his NPC. Turning to the women and gesturing suggestively at all of him as his large, crimson, round eyes met hers he couldn't help but grin at his own question to come. 

"Well Volcanic, what do you think?" 

Volcanic looked at Xander for a bit, as he motioned to himself. She was not sure how to answer that question at all. He had very feminine features, a girlish face and a thin, lean body that most men didn't have. His voice was ambiguous enough to not be obvious which gender he was. "A-ah..." she stammered, her face growing red as she had to stand there and unabashedly look over his body to try to figure out the answer to that question. If he moved in certain ways, he looked like a woman. If he moved another way, he seemed very masculine. She blinked, and shook her head, looking off to the side. She didn't want to meet his gaze now. "I-I don't know," she muttered, the light words reverberating along the walls of the alleyway around them. "That was why I asked, after all. It's hard to tell, and I don't want to assume either way. I feel like that would be too rude," she sighed, closing her eyes and hoping that she didn't upset Xander.

Xander gave a chuckle and relaxed his stance, coming close to Volcanc and smiling warmly. "You wouldn't offend me, I don't mind this game one bit and you guessing wrong just flatters me!" He winked and tousled his hair softly before walking out of the shadows of the alley and peeking at the people that walked passed them, not actually answering her question. He was confident enough in his own masculinity that even if she thought he was a woman he wouldn't take it to heart. Many women found his features adorable. Shaking his head of the thought me gestured out at the throngs of players passing by. "I'm slightly surprised you aren't out there like most players, I don't know you well Volcanic, but usually players are avoiding people like me who prefers not to fight." Shrugging Xander sighed. "Id quest and fight if I was strong enough, but I'm new to MMOs, drunkenly being tossed in here didn't help either...sorry, I didn't mean to go on about my weird life." He smiled sheepishly.

Volcanic blinked at Xander's explanation of how he entered the game, as she watched him peer out of the alley where they stood. She cleared her throat lightly at his odd assumption, being as she didn't know much about MMOs either. "Well," she admitted, "this is my first MMO too. I entered by choice, but honestly I had no idea what I was doing. I'm even just visiting with my father from America."

The thought of her dad made her eyes glassy, but she quickly pushed it aside. It seemed that she had finally found a kindred spirit. There were so many people who knew how to play these games. It was good to know that Volcanic wasn't alone. She smiled and admitted her other secret, "I lived in these alleyways for the longest time. It took a kind member of the nearby homeless shelter to finally get me going. I haven't made it far, but sleeping in an inn was a nice change of pace."

Xander turned to the woman and listened to her speak, he felt his shoulders relax their stiffened stance he hadn't realized he was holding. Volcanic being in a similar boat as him was a relief, he had doubted there was others like him. "America huh? You guys eat the strangest things." He grinned, trying to lighten the mood from the old wounds they were opening up, no. This wasn't right. It had been ages since he was even able to address his life outside of sao, it was like some unspoken rule; players refused to talk about their past. Maybe out of fear but none the less it was strange. He glanced at Volcanic and knew she too needed this release, whether she welcomed his prodding or not he wanted her to know that he would listen if she needed him to.

"That band you mentioned earlier, Psyren. That's my band. I'm that Xander Rush, I play guitar and sing" Xander tried his best to hold back the tears he didn't realize he had for his friends. Sure he missed them but until now he dared not think about to what degree. "..and...I miss them very much. I'm afraid they are stuck here too, my friends..I don't remember much from the night I was put in here, but I know we were all joking around and I'm not sure if it was just I who took this plunge or them as well..they are really good at MMOs, but I'm afraid they are too wreckless for a death game.." 

Xander tried his best not to meet her eyes until the watering cleared from his. But he felt that if he opened up, maybe so would she if she needed to. Holding all of that in and finally saying out loud took a lot of the burden away, it was shared now. 

Volcanic couldn't help but find herself smiling. There were others who had lived a similar life to Volcanic. Missing home, missing friends, missing family, but too afraid to play the game, too unsure. She wasn't smiling at his pain, but at this odd kinship she had, with a man who may have been a part of a famous band no less. Volcanic gave a nod at points as Xander spoke, though he didn't meet her eyes, so the polite gesture was ultimately lost. That was fine though, as once he was finished speaking, Volcanic thought of ways to keep this going, as she walked over to a nearby trash can and sat on the top of the thin metal lid. hoping it wouldn't collapse on her. She waved to Xander to invite him over, and said, "What were their names? I'm sorry, but I only saw your band perform at the SAO release concert. So I can't claim to be a big fan. But the music was lovely for what I did see," Volcanic said, her smile that one of genuine happiness as she actually relished the idea to be more open with the world they came from.

For many players, it was all about this world. The real world was taboo for many, because this world was their current prison. But even people in prison had to talk about the world they had been taken away from now and again, no matter how much it hurt. They had to be honest with the fact that the world still exists, even if they never go back to it. That their family and friends are there. Volcanic nodded again, as if affirming to herself these truths in order to keep going, even if the thoughts of her dad made her want to break down. "My dad's name is Edgar. Edgar Winters. He's a mystery writer, though calling him famous might be a stretch. He's sold enough books that we live comfortably and travel the world. He didn't enter the game. This stuff isn't his thing," Volcanic giggled at the thought of her dad floundering around as he usually did in this game as she continued to explain to Xander, "I'm gonna be honest. A part of me is glad he isn't here. I wouldn't want him to be scared like me, even if it meant we'd have each other to lean on."

Edited by Volcanic

Xander watched as the woman seemed to grow more comfortable, if he had to guess he struck a nerve. She too was scared. She wasn't some fearsome war maiden. She was a normal girl stuck in a world not made for her, or him. Watching the woman make her way to the trash to sit she Xander followed but kept a comfortable distance, leaning on a wall near by and feeling his throat grow tight as she spoke of her father, someone who was dear to her who is probably missing her greatly. "I'm sorry you two are apart. I'm sure he misses you." Sighing and closing his eyes Xander remembered his like band of misfits and grinned. "Well there's three of them. Danny plays drums, he's heavily into MMOs and makes us tour places where there's going to be releases and stuff. Wes plays bass. He's also a huge nerd. John sings also and takes care of sound. He's a jack of all trades, and mostly plays video games casually so I can't imagine him fairing too well here. But if I'm not with them then that means we are all separated. That's not good.. we haven't been apart in years, we went to school together and everything." Shaking his head Xander gave a worried sigh. "I'm glad your father is safe. And I'm sure you'll make it out just fine.." 

Edited by Xander Rush

Volcanic pushed herself back onto the metal lid of the trash can, and could feel it shift beneath her weight. But it stayed stable, so she wasn't worried. She leaned back against the stone wall behind her, her legs kicking lightly as she looked to Xander and listened to his tale. They were both in an awkward spot, though he could have his friends here. Friends who might otherwise not have made it in this world. But, she considered something as Xander, and once he had finished speaking she said, "But you survived, didn't you? And you're probably the least skilled of all of them, based on what you're saying. I think that means they would be okay." Volcanic said this with a light smile and nod, to reaffirm the belief to the man next to her, before saying, "Really, I just have to be careful. So long as I don't rush headlong into pointless danger, this game doesn't seem so bad. Scary, sure. But not too bad."

Volcanic paused again as she thought about all that Xander had said again, mulling over the prospect that his friends could be in this world too. Finally, she said, "Where do you think they would be? Maybe we could go looking? I know these cities are vast, but perhaps if we check places where you think they're likely to be, we can find them." Volcanic, absolutely certain this was the right answer, pushed herself off the trash can, causing it to wobble. But it remained standing as her feet slapped against the cobble of the alleyway. "Also, do you normally dress like that? I think if we get you some more clothes that look like what you'd wear, it'd be easier for them to recognize you, right?" It was a bit of a guilty pleasure she was asking for. Now that she had Col in her pocket, shopping just sounded like fun, but at least in this case she could apply good reasoning to it.

Xander watched as the woman worked her magic, despite how doomed he felt her words made him feel at ease."you're probably right but I have this sinking feeling in my gut that I just can't ignore. I'm the youngest of us four yet I take care of them all." Tilting his head and thinking about her words carefully he huffed.

"Well that's the thing, I never really paid much attention when they played games. All I know is they enjoys "raids" and battle. Whatever that means." Shaking his head he gently fluffed his hair and chuckled. Remembering his grumbling in the very beginning about the rather constricting clothing the game slapped on him. "No not at all, I prefer tighter clothes." Walking out of the alley and shielding his eyes from the sun he turned to her and smiled. "how hard is it to find a little cute red head? But you're right. Let's find something more suiting..for the both of us." 

Volcanic had been following along with all that Xander had said, until he said the last sentence. "B-both of us?" Volcanic stuttered, wondering how she looked to him. How interesting would it be if Xander had turned out to be a girl interested in girls like Volcanic? Volcanic's cheeks turned red as she shook her head and said, "I mean, these clothes aren't ideal..." She walked up next to Xander and squinted at the light. "I wouldn't mind looking for more culturally befitting attire. That isn't just standard unisex fare..." It seemed she shared yet another sentiment with Xander, and the more they talked the more she realized that she may have found a real friend in this death game. She smiled at the thought and pulled up her map, positioning herself so that Xander could also see it. She filtered out all the nearby clothes shops, both player and NPC run, as she said, "Does anything sound interesting on this map to you?"

Xander scooted close to the woman as she went through her map, looking at shops and such he couldn't help but notice despite being a game she very much smelled like a girl. Did he smell too? Was it..bad? Or was he making this up because naturally everyone assumes women smell nice. Reading her map carefully he shouted in surprise "I didn't even know we got maps!!!!" Looking at his menu and quickly seeing the obvious map text. "Oh..wait..I'm broke.." he looked over all his stats carefully in confusion. Quickly putting it away he confused to peer over at hers from beside her, pointing at one specific shop close by just titled "dainty things"

"what about this one? I bet they have soft material! I don't really know what you like to wear outside of the game but soft and silky is right up my alley" he laughed and looked up at her with his big crimson eyes. "So, shall we get going? I wonder if they would take an IOU, since I have yet to quest, maybe I can take a quest from them and they can pay me in clothes?!" 

Volcanic couldn't help but squeak in surprise as Xander shouted behind her. She very nearly jumped out of her skin, as he turned and attempted to navigate his own map. She tried to shake it off, and not seem like he had startled her as she continued to scroll through the area. When he pointed at the shop called Dainty Things, she couldn't help but blush. "T-that's certainly possible. I would imagine they have a lot of underwear and stuff. I feel like that might be a b-bit too much for having just met. But if you really want to go..." she trailed off, and could feel her redness continuing to spread across her face. She shook her head and tried her best to hide it form Xander directly over her shoulder. Trying to regain her composure, she said, "I tend to just wear a tank top and short shorts in nice weather like this, but I want to be more cultural here. Since I'm playing a Japanese game. That's part of why I want to use katanas. I always like to try to explore other cultures of where my dad and I visit. Respectfully of course."

Volcanic shrugged, and could see that Xander seemed pretty excited to go to that store, despite everything. "D-Dainty Things it is... I guess..." she said, as she mustered her best smile, feeling the redness creep back into her face. This was going to be so awkward.

Xander made his way to the nearby shop with Volcanic in tow of course. Smiling wide with new found vigor, whether it be from having someone real to hang or with or just the idea of having a little slice of the outside world with such things as "shopping". Stopping short of the door he looked up at the stores signage, the words were written in neat calligraphy, nice and sharp. Looking back the the flustered Volcanic he tilted his head in confusion. "I mean, I would expect it to have a bit of everything. I like tighter clothes so if they don't have things we like I'm sure a tailor could help us out." Grinning playfully he tried his best to play off the fact that his place probably did specialize in small clothes..this could be a problem when it came to "What Gender is Xander?" game. Shaking his head Xander smiled. "That's sounds sweet, I prefer more modern things from here, living in Kyoto I've seen a lot of people that still hold to the old traditional attire and rules. But the new wave of youngsters from all of Japan try to keep ourselves fashionable. We do what the heart wants, some call us wreckless but I like to call it..carefree." 

Volcanic tried her best to loosen up about the idea of where they were going, but found it more difficult. Especially as Xander talked about wearing tighter clothes. She found her face getting red all over again as she followed him, and tried her best to look down and hide it until they reached the shop. It wasn't really until Xander started talking about things that the Japanese found fashionable, and all the new craze of wearing and trying new styles compared to old fashioned attire. As Volcanic thought about it, she thought about people wearing old pilgrim attire in America, and how it would probably get someone laughed out of anywhere but a costume party. She hoped that it wouldn't be the case here, but she would just have to see what they found. She continued to listen to Xander, nodding politely, before finally saying, "Honestly though, we'll never know until we take a look. Let's see what they have, shall we?" Volcanic moved past Xander to open the door, and held it open for him to enter before she did so herself.

walking into the open door that Volcanic held for his Xander scanned the room, it seemed sleek, but still set in the same fashion as most of the game; many mannequins dawning sleek outfits with..capes? Leather straps and lots of pockets? Weird. The more he looked the more normal it got, it seemed to have regular clothing, soft cotton shirts in all styles, tunics, hentleys, tank tops and camisoles, passed that in the very back was Lacey lingerie that most shops seemed to have towards the back. Turning back to Volcanic he grinned. "So, i need a cape" he chuckled, not realizing how badly he really wanted one until he saw them in person, not just silk capes but half capes that rested upon ones shoulder, giving them an air of power, some lined with rivets of gold or lines of leather Zanders eyes practically glowed seeing some fashioned with fur from lions manes. He wanted to look the part of this world. He armor. He could get something nice that could be worn to accompany his armor that he gained throughout the game right? "So, was this as bad as you thought it would be?" Xander motioned to the blushed Volcanic.