[PP-F5] Shifting Sands

Zero arrived at Armadillo before Sinon had, he felt a gentle breeze hit him and looked at the now dark sky. "I forgot it was getting dark, and the desert gets cold as ice when it's night time. Hope Sinon doesn't mind a little cold." He tugged his coat down and looked around at the surrounding players walking about, the boy watched them all idly his eyes hidden under his hood. He seemed like a statue, unmoving and unflinching, and observed small player parties, couples and groups of friends pass by. They all seem... Happy... Zero sighed and crossed his arms hearing a voice whisper in his mind. Of course, they aren't you after all...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surrounded by a soft glow, I materialized behind Zero and surveyed the plaza. A breezy smile lit my face as a zephyr caressed my face and fiddled with strands of my short hair. I relished in the chill of night, as it reminded me of one of my few good memories. With a sidelong glance at Zero to make sure that he wasn't looking, I twirled in a small circle, trying to hang on to the memory for as long as I possibly could. I closed my eyes and spun 'round and 'round to the music in my head, forgetting where I was.

Zero glanced back as Sinon spun in circles and blinked surprised. He felt a slight warmth within his body and found himself smiling. The boy quickly realized he wasn't the only watching his companion, others had stopped and begun to stare at her with different expressions. Some of the people of the crowd smiled in amusement, others in admire meant, most had a less pleasant expression that showed what they were thinking about. I better stop her while I still can... He sighed nodding and gently grasped one of Sinon's shoulders. "Hey Sinon, we better get going so we can find something to hunt."

My eyes flew open when someone touched my shoulder and said something that I didn't bother answering immediately. I twisted around with a raised fist that quickly made contact with Zero's cheek. Taking a step back, I shook my hand and gave him a glare. "That was just a warning. Next time, try not to touch me without good reason, okay?" With a sigh, I crossed my arms and watched the crowd quickly disperse after that. Some guys pulled their friends out of the square and several girls gave me thumbs-up and bolted, which confused me immensely, but I didn't allow it to show on my face. A boy, from what looked like a couple, left his girl friend in the dust. I tittered at her expression of outrage as she chased him down a street, spouting a wonderful array of colourful words and swearing that she'd hunt him down to the ends of Aincrad. Turning my attention back to Zero, I finally answered his earlier statement. "Alright, fine. What could possibly go wrong?" Uncrossing my arms, I sashayed past him, heading down the street the ex-couple took, figuring that led out of town.

Zero didn't react to being punched by Sinon and simply stood back up. He gave her a glance before following her lead. "Didn't have to punch me Sinon..." He touched the cheek the girl had punched and sighed walking past her. "Also if we don't hurry it'll get too dark and cold to travel safely, this desert is merciless when you get careless." He pointed at an arc like structure made out of sand. "That's the gate out of Armadillo, once we're out in the wasteland let's keep our space tight. It'll be easier to watch each other's backs that way."

I rolled my eyes but followed along nevertheless. "So, what exactly what kind of monster are we hunting here?" I asked, skipping forward to walk next to Zero. I leaned forward to look at his face. "Are there scorpion monsters? Snake ones? Giant cacti? A sand troll?" Sighing, I straightened up and looked ahead again just as we walked through the arch of sand that completely defied logic. I blinked in surprise. That went by fast.

"We'll be going after a specific type of monster," Zero faced Sinon only showing his eyes to her and quickly looked forward again. "A Sand Constrictor. It's a giant Boa snake that tends to hide under the sand and strikes mostly during day time, but it sometimes does come out when night time comes. We'll have to keep our eyes open, it likes attacking its prey by surprise. If it gets you don't struggle and try to get out, it'll only anger it and make it squeeze you more." He sighed and opened his menu sending Sinon a party invite. "Here I forgot to send you a party invite earlier, it's more beneficial for us to be in a party so we can monitor each others life. Once we encounter the monster watching each others life is going to be crucial."

Glancing at Zero, I lifted my hand and hesitated for a moment before letting my finger drop on the 'Okay' button. Another name and health gauge immediately appeared underneath my own. He's level seven. Yeesh, that's a whole lot higher than me. Well, I'll catch up soon enough! "Well, how far from here do we have to go?" I asked impatiently.

Zero looked forward and thought about how long it would take them. "A good ten to eleven minutes and we'll be deep enough in the El Perdido wasteland to encounter it. Stick close please," He glanced at her health and level not surprised by them. "I don't want to loose someone who's with me. You may be low level, but you're most certainly capable of handling yourself so I won't have to worry too much at least..." He looked at Sinon and lowered his mouth piece. "Keep your weapon out just in case alright? Never know when we might get attacked."

My eyes widened and I lowered my hand toward the dagger I kept strapped to my leg. I pulled it out cautiously, making sure not to end up cutting myself in the process. After taking a moment to get used to the feeling of my dagger in my hand again, I threw it into the air and caught it, holding the handle backwards. I find that I get a much better reach holding it this way. It helps compensate for my shorter arm length compared to taller people. "You won't be losing me anytime soon, alright? I won't allow it," I whispered under my breath.

"Glad to hear that." Zero replied quickly unsheathing his sword. He held the hilt tightly and breathed slowly as they marched through the desert. "Shouldn't be far now... Get ready.." He glanced at Sinon making sure she was ready and looked forward once more. "If anything happens, run. Please just run. Better for you to survive than for both of us to die..." He seemed a bit colder than before and he could still heat the whisper in his head. She'll betray you... They all do in the end... You know it's true...

I turned to look at Zero, disbelief clearly written on my face. Boy, what in your right mind makes you think that I will ever listen to that request? I thought to myself incredibly. I couldn't lose Zero. For some reason, my indifference turned into emotion when I was around him and I wasn't quite ready to go back to hiding behind my mental wall. Instead of voicing my thoughts, I simply said, "As you wish."

"Thank you Sinon, hopefully it won't come to that..." Zero walked slowly beside the girl and looked at around casually. "Sorry if I sound unreasonable, but I'd rather not have you perish because of me..." He glanced at her and scratched his head feeling slightly awkward now. Say something to break the awkward silence you dune... He looked at her and slightly bit on his lip. "So you're a dagger user, huh? That's cool..." He groaned at how horrible he was at starting a conversation and sighed. That's just sad... Really, really sad...

Yeah, yeah. You're welcome. I'm not going to die anytime soon. Staying silent, I allowed my eyes to flit from place to place around me until I heard Hero's next comment. I laughed breezily at the silly remark. "Yes, I am a dagger user, aren't I? Hmm hmm. I see that your weapon of choice is what this game was named after."

Zero looked at her and nodded trying to stay calm. "Y-yeah, I've always used sword wielding characters in games like this... Usually use one handed ones though, I don't really like two handed weapons..." He raised his sword over his shoulder and looked at Sinon. "So, do you play video games often? Like before getting trapped here I mean." Finally, I don't sound like an idiot... Wonder if she thinks I'm weird, wouldn't surprise me...

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I don't much like weapons that require two hands either. Playing video games.... Huh. I must admit that I haven't any gaming experience outside of SAO. Sorry to disappoint," I said with slightly veiled sarcasm. "What about you, Monsieur Zero? Do you have any gaming experience outside of SAO?" I asked, fairly curious.

Zero remained quiet when questioned and looked at forward. "Well, yeah I do... I've played MMO's before, as well as several different RPG's." He looked at Sinon and looked her over. "So um... How about we get to know each other since we'll be fighting together? I'll start, I'm an eighteen year old soon to be college student with an interest in music and computers. What about you miss Sinon?"

Halting, I lowered my gaze to the blue shaded sandy ground that shifted underfoot, and allowed my bangs to shroud my dark orbs in shadow. "Well," I started cautiously, "I'm a thirteen-year-old girl who doesn't have any hobbies anymore." I just continue existing each day without purpose. Staying distant is better for me nowadays. I shoved away the thoughts in my mind and grit my teeth, then I looked back up with a vacant expression and started forward again in silence. While beating away the horrible memories, I left no focus to keep my posture in check. As always when I'm reminded of anything that has to do with my past, my shoulders slumped forward and my head hung, almost as if I had neither the energy nor the will to raise it. I hated looking like this, as the universe almost never failed to try to cut me down when I was obviously vulnerable.

Zero looked at Sinon with slight surprise from her age and gently placed his hand on her head noticing her change in posture. He could tell something was bothering her, it was clear as day that it was something important too. "What's bothering you Sinon? Don't try brushing it off, I can tell something is bothering a lot and you won't be much help in a fight right now." He spoke in a different tone from his usual calm or cold tone, it was slightly concerned it could even be called caring. "If you tell me I may be able to help you, and if it's a secret then I'll tell you a secret of my own..." He lowered his mouth piece and smiled slightly, a warm and welcoming smile almost as if Zero was actually showing who he was. Tch... Fine, ignore me... But I'll still be here...

"I've killed a man,"I breathed soundlessly, knowing full well that he did not hear me. I closed my eyes and saw the thick scarlet red substance that splattered on my white stockings and white blouse, even staining the already red skirt I had worn. I was reminded of the warmth that left the droplets of red and entered my own skin. I remembered the feeling of the gun in my hands and I remember sitting there as if I had died as well and just hadn't fallen down yet. Reliving when I had curled back my finger and felt the mechanism respond, jumping forward then jumping back again in my hands once, twice three times, and I wept. The same as when I had cried only a few years ago. The tears flowed down my cheeks, dropping to the ground and mingling with the imaginary blood that I saw now. A thin, strangled keening sound escaped my throat. "I killed a person! Okay?! Are you happy now!?" I insisted, forcefully thrusting away the memories.