Throwing Weapon Specifics?

This is where my mind starts to run places I know it shouldn't.

I understand that throwing weapons are their own class of weapon. I just want to make sure I have all the details clear. Parrying with a throwing knife for example. As I cannot equip a dagger and throwing knife at the same time without a certain skill, am I able to produce a parry while holding one? Would I be required to actually throw the blade into the incoming attack?

Also, I doubt this one especially, but if forced into close range am I able to use the throwing weapons as a weak makeshift melee weapon, or would I have to let go of the blade mid slash for it to count as an actual attack?

And since I am asking questions, have another. Would throwing weapons have a cooldown such as a 3 second pause before the weapon respawns in my inventory, or if it's thrown is it gone for good? Would a throwing weapon have an "ammo" system where I only have, say, three knives which have their own cooldown?

I am going to go ahead and set down a personal rule for myself that the number of blades you have is the amount of posts you go without that blade. Example, I have three blades, it will take three posts, not counting the one that throws the blade, for it to return to your holder. If I had one blade, I would be without a weapon for one turn. The price of ranged combat!

Actually, let me help you out here.

Parrying with a throwing knife for example. As I cannot equip a dagger and throwing knife at the same time without a certain skill, am I able to produce a parry while holding one? Would I be required to actually throw the blade into the incoming attack?

Yes, you can parry with a throwing knife. However, for any of this to happen I can assure you you need to reach Level 5 to even be near successful with this. Our current skill system goes like this:

a player earns 2 skill points per level, meaning at level 13 for me, I'll have 26. Then to use one of your 9 selected skills you need to invest in those skills. To invest in a skill, a single point in a skill ability costs 5 points for Level 1, 6 being the highest. After that, it costs 5 more every time, level 2 is 10, 3 is 15, and so on. So if you'd like to parry, you would need to invest 5 points (1 Level) into throwing knives and 5 points (1 Level) into Parry.

lso, I doubt this one especially, but if forced into close range am I able to use the throwing weapons as a weak makeshift melee weapon, or would I have to let go of the blade mid slash for it to count as an actual attack?

To use it in close range combat, you would need to have the one handed dagger skill, which would need 5 points (1 Level) invested into it. In that case, I would assume you can use your throwing knife as a close range dagger weapon. If you let go of the blade and throw it, it does count as a throwing knife attack. When using it in hand-to-hand situations, it's One-Handed Daggers.

And since I am asking questions, have another. Would throwing weapons have a cooldown such as a 3 second pause before the weapon respawns in my inventory, or if it's thrown is it gone for good? Would a throwing weapon have an "ammo" system where I only have, say, three knives which have their own cooldown?

As for ammo, I would say that after the weapon is thrown, if you make a post describing you searching for the weapon, look at the loot dice. If it hits 12 or higher then yes, you would get it back. Although this hasn't been officially made yet, I would say this is a reasonable system. To increase your chances of finding it with lower dice rolls, invest points into the <> skill as that's what it's intended for. Not only players, but lost items and weapons as well.

As for restocking on "ammo" go to a blacksmith and contact them. They could make you I'd say 3 Knives for a single ore. Many, including I, are willing to make weapons and gear for players in need. You could contact one of us blacksmiths to make you a plently large amount of ammo.

Remember though, be reasonable how many you can actually carry. This means don't be that person who says, "I'm carrying 725 Throwing Knives." Most ninjas and assassins in china and japan would actually only carry about 3-5 of them. Something I'd recommend for you though is to unlock the martial arts skill, so when you run out of knives, you can just use your empty hands as a weapon, saving you some inventory space.

I hope all of this information helped. If you have questions contact a GM or you can try asking me or anther fellow player if you'd like.

Thank you very much, this is really helpful information! And it makes sense too, so I am thinking I will apply this in any RP after my current solo. A bit too deep to rewrite, y'know? At least in my opinion. Haven't really gotten deep enough to see any real combat in my other ones!

The only thing I see is that the tutorials say that it's two points for a skill up, not five...

Sure, I'm glad you found this helpful. If you need help learning how to do this, just ask me, I can teach you through a RP if you'd like. I'm always down to roleplay. Anyways, I'm actually very fond of two handed swords, but I think for this RP, the one handed weapons are better as they can be used with a single hand. They can also use large combos quicker than two handed. However, all weapons are just as good if you know how to use them right and the combat dice are on your side.

That... is unfortunate. As I have been using them since I joined, and currently everything about my character is built around them, so what you are saying is that essentially I need to rewrite everything and that the crafting supplies I used are wasted? Kinda wish that I had been warned about this seven days ago or some time near then when I posted this... or had an indicator that said certain skills are not allowed in any tutorial or skill list.

Edit: Can I at the very least take my crafted throwing blades back to Oske so they can be melted down into useful items, then? I am going to go ahead and make my starter weapon into something else.

No. You dont have to do that nor will all the work you have done become invalid... You asked about specifications about the skill and I just told you that there is none at the moment and that when we have them then the players will then be able to see the specifications and details. I think you took out a different meaning than what I was getting at. Sorry if I made you think differently. You are welcome to contact any of the GMs about it. again, apologies if I made you misunderstand.

I see. Well, I thank you for the consideration in that case! Unfortunately though, I have already taken the steps to replacing my knives with assault spears. (Look forward to acrobatics seeing a use when I start using it to vault two skill points from now).

So yeah, I had no idea about them being unusable in their current state, so I apologize for causing confusion and chaos, even if it was fun~!