[F09-PP] The Iron Guardian

Spoiler

Energy: [3/3 Recharge: EP FULL!

Action: Searching for mats: ID# 97193- LD: 13 + 7 = 20 = 1 T3 mat found (6 total)

Beat's eyes lit up as he watched Shield athletically scrambled higher and higher, "Find that treasure!" He said, laughing as he stood up, giving the area a quick look around. Upon Shield's whistle, Beat was immediately following the path Shield had made, leaping from floor to floor, climbing his way into the dragon's hoard. 

"Woah....this is what I'm talking about man!" He said, emitting a whistle of his own and running towards the pile of treasure and digging through it. He quickly found a gem encrusted sword that was unfortunately tagged as a material item, but he brandished it anyways and gave it a few swings, "You really don't get anything out of this? I know we all want to get out, but you have to take some joy in the smaller accomplishments too." 

He tucked the treasure away and looked at his companion, "This is our life for now, so we should try to enjoy it as much as we can as we work towards escaping."

Edited by Beat
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Energy: [3/3 - Energy Full!] Healing [+45 HP] Justified/Vengeful Riposte [Ready]

Shield - HP: 1364/1370 | EP: 113/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 68 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 47/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

Using Golden Key

ID# 96196 LD:10+7=17 CD:5 4,050 Col, 8 T3 Materials, 2 T3 Rare Consumables, 1 T3 Perfect Armor

"'This is our life now' has the potential to become complacency," Shield said, kneeling down beside the chest, expending yet another Golden Key. The lid popped open, and again, a contents display came into view. As he tapped the button to collect the contents, the mountain of treasure vanished, leaving a bone-strewn stone floor. "We've had more or less this exact conversation before, Beat."

There was warning behind his voice. He straightened up, dusting himself off while keeping his back to the other player. "And to be quite honest, I'm getting a little tired of players who are younger and less experienced than I am, both in life and in game, trying to tell me how to live my life. I have my priorities. They are not the same as yours. My priorities do not afford me the ability to just kick back and enjoy myself while we're in here."

While normally benign in both face and tone - to the point of almost being expressionless - the bite in Shield's voice made it very clear that the matter in question was not up for further discussion.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Action: Searching for Mats: ID# 97197: 13 + 7 = 20 = 1 T3 Mat found (7 Total) 

Shield - HP: 1364/1370 | EP: 113/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 68 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 47/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

Beat shook his head and stooped down to retrieve a single ruby that had been left behind, "Refusal to be miserable is not the same as complacency." He said, ignoring the bite of Shield's words. It was a bad habit of Shield's to walk away from any topic he did not like, one that Beat normally left alone, but for some reason, Beat decided to defy the warning this time. "I know we've had this conversation before, but you normally cut it short...or something else does," He paused to look around before continuing, "To be clear, I'm not telling you you have to relax, but I know that it's not possible to spend every waking moment working towards escape. The pacing of this game is literally designed to force you to pace yourself." 

Beat looked towards the sky and exhaled quickly before speaking again, "I guess, as your friend, I'm just concerned about your happiness. I know it's not my business and I'll remember to never bring it up again, but I have to think holding that shield that you keep up between you and everyone else has got to get awfully heavy sometimes." 

Beat had not intended to speak so openly, but as he had gone on, a revelation about how Shield passed through his mind and into his words. His ordeal had made him more skilled at reading other people, even if the instinct was not yet incredibly fine tuned. His reliable gut instinct had become sensitive to his ability to read others, so while he could not always explain how he knew something about someone, as time went on, there were more and more moments of clarity such as this one. Beat, not expecting a response and having gotten his feelings on the matter off of his chest, took to patrolling the room as lookout as he normally did when they had found treasure. 

Edited by Beat

Shield - HP: 1490/1490 | EP: 128/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 74 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7

Buying from stock and consuming: Field Rations +2 [-900 Col]

Swapping Gear:

+120 Max HP
+169 Mit
+47 Thn
+6 Rec
+Tnt

"You don't know a damn thing about the weight I carry!" Shield roared. Despite not activating any skill, his voice rang off of the walls as if he had just used his Howl. "Carrying the assault team, and the Ascendants half the time, herding cats at meetings where nobody wants to be the goddamn grown-up. Never sleeping, never taking a break... Those burdens are feathers compared to the chains from out there that weigh me down." Shield turned and pointed with such force that from a distance it might look like he was launching a javelin. And it wasn't the outside of the dungeon he was pointing to. "The only thing that gives me the strength to keep going is knowing that if I don't get out of this god-forsaken heap of pixels and ones and zeros and death, that I'm going to die with those chains still on me!"

He did not calm down after his explosion. His fingers swiped through the air to bring up his menus, and without a word, he began trading out his gear, even wolfing down a field ration from his personal store stock. Every fiber of him cursed Sword Art Online, not only for keeping him trapped, but for keeping him far more transparent than he cared to be. He could swallow frowns and force smiles all day long, but what SAO did not allow any player to do was to hold in tears that wanted to come out. He screwed up his face in a vain effort to keep them in, but they poured down the sides of his nose and fell to the dungeon floor regardless of his urging.

Edited by Shield

Didn't expect him to lower the Shield right away....

Beat looked at Shield and listened to his words carefully as the older player opened up more than he had before. The tears certainly added to the weight of his statement, but rather than take amusement at the fact that he had gotten Shield to open up, Beat nodded and spoke softly, the usual playfulness and energy gone from his voice as his instinct provided insight that he probably was not ready for himself, "That weight sounds unimaginable and I can't begin to understand what exactly keeps you up at night..." he said, looking towards the ground before looking back up into Shield's eyes as he walked closer, "I...I have nothing to go back to, so my perspective is skewed, but what I know is that I have is a friend who shoulders too much on his own." Beat paused as he blinked his eyes hard to avoid tearing up himself, "So the least I can do is shoulder some of the burden you carry around so maybe you can get some sleep at night." 

Beat's concern about Shield's closed in nature had always manifested itself as a desire to force the older gentleman out of his comfort zone in order to "crack" the shell he kept around himself, but Beat's ordeal had gradually changed his perspective and he understood a little better now that Shield had let a little bit of his secret out of the bag. Beat himself had unknowingly let some of his own real life burdens out as well, though he had not been entirely aware of, and likely still wasn't, his own chains from the real world. The need for human connection was apparent to Beat, but it was simple, childlike until now. 

Edited by Beat

Recovery [0 EN]

Free Action: Using T3 Rare Over-health Crystal [+90 Max HP]

Action: Parry [-5 EN - Justified Riposte - Vengeful Riposte]

Shield - HP: 1529/1580 | EP: 123/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 90/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 1898/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97275 results: Craft: 2 [No Recovery] MOB: 5 [+3+1=10 - Hit - 525/2-214=48 dmg, Parry - 115 dmg + Stun, THN - 87 dmg]

Spoiler
  • (MD 9): Deals 426 DMG and stuns the target with the highest hate. Also deals 231 DMG to every other player. 
  • (MD 10): Deals 504 DMG and stuns the target with the highest hate. Also deals 252 DMG and stuns every other player.
  • Players cannot be affected by critical stuns more than one turn in a row.

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 553/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97276 results: MOB: 4 [+3+1=8 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 553/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97277 results: MOB: 5 [+3+1=9 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 553/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97278 results: MOB: 4 [+3+1=8 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

"The only thing that will do that for me is getting the hell out of here," he said, deadpan to try to keep his already hoarse voice from cracking. His hand enveloped the span of his face and forcefully cleaned up the mess that had spilled out of his eyes, slinging it onto the ground disdainfully. "That's all there is to-"

The hairs on the back of Shield's neck stood on end, and he wheeled around. Standing on the ledge where he and Beat had clambered up, there stood a familiar figure. It was familiar in face only, recognizable as the same specter that had been haunting them from the beginning. Its physical form, however, was far more ghastly. Great curled horns protruded from the sides of its skull, and its sockets were deep and black, more so than seemed possible with the size of the skull behind it. It was as if they eyes themselves opened into some plane of darkness.

"You killed my dragon," he said plainly. Lifting a finger, three cloaked and hooded skeletal figures rose from the ground.

"Your dragon attacked us," Shield barked back at him. Why was he trying to defend himself? Was he afraid?

"You killed my dragon." Its voice was smooth. Impossibly smooth. It was almost charming. Almost comforting. However, the chasm between actually comforting and charming and almost comforting and charming was chilling. The thing was no longer on the ledge. It was beside Shield now. When had that happened? Its eyes looked so much more empty up close. "Fall."

There was no time to howl. Shield ducked behind both sword and shield as its bony hand swept effortlessly. Sparks shot up in quadruple trails along both barriers, and only through sheer force of spirit did he keep his feet and his wits. He parried the strike, carrying the momentum into a strike of his own at the base of the thing's skull. It froze, all but its jaw bone, which opened wide and let out a deep, echoing growl. The robed figures gathered around Shield and wailed on him with all of their might, but Shield was not looking. He could not look away from the eyes.

"Beat, a little help here!" he shouted shrilly.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Passive: Zoinks! A G-g-g-ghost!

Action: Dimensional Stampede + Charge | -14 EP

Shield - HP: 1529/1580 | EP: 128/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 76/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 1500/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97286- BD: 2 + 7 - 3 = 6 [DMG: 31 x 15 = 465 - 147 = 318]

Spoiler
  • (MD 9): Deals 426 DMG and stuns the target with the highest hate. Also deals 231 DMG to every other player. 
  • (MD 10): Deals 504 DMG and stuns the target with the highest hate. Also deals 252 DMG and stuns every other player.

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 553/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 -
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 553/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - 
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 553/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 -

Beat watched as the Lich moved to attack Shield and gaped at the movement the specter made. He was sure that it had to have been an optical illusion because the travel time was impossibly fast. He started to speak, but his words stuck in his throat and he nearly choked on them as he had to force himself to swallow to alleviate the condition. 

That cannot be the same guy...those eyes are...

Beat forced his eyes shut, though they protested, and gathered his wits as he began to run forward, the sounds of his feet just barely drowning out the beating of his heart that seemed to be just behind his eardrum. He looked ahead, but made a concerted effort to avoid the creature's eyes, ignoring the bone acolytes as they attempted to impeded his forward progress. Something inside him knew that if he looked up into those infinitely deep eyes, he might never be able to look away again. 

"RAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!" 

Beat yelled to motivate his body to keep moving, refusing to let the fear that threatened to grip him defeat him before even getting a chance to swing. Beat leaped into the air and his eyes focused on the Lich's center of mass as he invoked his strongest sword art, his spear seeming to multiply as it shredded the ghostly form. The Lich shrieked as it wheeled around, looking down at Beat in anger, who refused to meet its gaze as he clenched his jaw.

Edited by Beat

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+79 HP] Recovery [+6 EN] Parry [Cooldown: 1/1] Ripostes [Cooldown: 1/3]

Action: Howl [-10 EN]

Shield - HP: 1577/1580 | EP: 120/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 76/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 1500/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - [Stunned]

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 466/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97288 results: Craft: 8 [Recovery Proc] MOB: 6 [+3+1=10 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 466/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97289 results: MOB: 6 [+3+1=10 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 466/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97290 results: MOB: 8 [+3+1=12 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

The skeletal menace continued to stare blankly ahead, unable to move. However, Shield knew that it would start moving any moment, and he knew that as soon as it did, it would close the distance between them like it had before. If he was going to take aggro, it needed to be now. He took a deep breath, urging his lungs to speak with more authority than he felt at the moment.

"Your dungeon is a joke!" he bellowed, rising to his full height as he fought his own will to stay in control of the fight. "Your minions do nothing, your dragon barely got in an attack, and you'll fare just as well as he did." He hoped it was not foolish to further provoke the thing by mentioning its precious, fallen dragon. Still, in the moment, knowing what was to come, he was amazed that he could form sentences at all, let alone find ways to challenge the damnable thing ahead of him.

Still, the disciples continued to flail fruitlessly at the tank who completely ignored them. His health had already completely rebounded from the first strike, but he doubted he would be so lucky with the next.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Passive [+1 EN

Action: Dimension Stampede | -14 EP

Shield - HP: 1580/1580 | EP: 120/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:2/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 63/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 1242/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97291- BD: 5 + 7 - 3 = 9 [DMG: 27 x 15 = 405 - 147 = 258]

Spoiler

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 466/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - 
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 466/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 -
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 466/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - 

"Gonna break that loose jaw of yours!" Beat shouted as he continued to rally himself, invigorated by Shield's mocking of the of the terrifying lich. Beat strained his neck to look up at the face of evil and he released a silent scream for a moment before regaining his nerve and brandishing his spear as he ran through his normal attack pattern, disappearing at high speed as he worked to find the best attack angle.

He's only terrifying in appearance, nothing else....

Beat struggled to keep his spirits up as he matched the wraith's speed, cutting it off and leaping into the ari for a strike aimed directly at the jawbone he had called out. The Lich of Chill Bone managed to dodge part of the attack, but still took the majority of it on what would be its shoulder. It wailed as Beat landed, clicking his tongue and glaring up at the creature. 

"Next time..."

Edited by Beat

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+79 HP] Recovery [+0 EN] Parry [Cooldown: Done!] Ripostes [Cooldown: 2/3] Healer [+135 HP Cooldown: 0/5]

Action: Energize > Beat [Shield: -10 EN, Beat: +8 EN]

[H:4] Shield - HP: 1499/1580 | EP: 111/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:2/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 71/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 1242/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97299 results: Craft: 5 [No Recovery] MOB: 9 [+3+1=12 - Hit & Stun - 426+1-214=213 dmg]

AoE Vs. Beat - ID# 97309 results: MOB: 1 [Miss]

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 379/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97300 results: MOB: 2 [+3+1=6 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 379/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97301 results: MOB: 2 [+3+1=6 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 379/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97302 results: MOB: 5 [+3+1=9 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

Shield knew that they could only maintain their pace if Beat had energy coming from other sources. As much as he wished that he could turtle for the rest of the fight, Shield needed to keep up his support. He charged a fresh load of energy and tossed the ball to Beat, never letting his eyes stray from the lich. That is to say they did not strain until the lich was no longer in front of him.

It was beside him.

There was not even time to parry. The lich knifed its hand into Shield's rib cage. He could not move. He was being held in place, completely immobile. Cold crept out from the point of incision, rushing out faster and faster to envelop the dungeon in a frosty layer of tiny ice crystals. Ice attempted to creep its way up Beat's leg, but it seemed unable to spread beyond his foot.

This is bad... I can't even tell Lilith to heal me...

Somehow, the snake in his collar seemed to sense the danger he was in and reacted without his prompting, popping briefly out of his collar and biting him on the neck. His health rebounded part way in his HUD. He breathed a little easier, at least for the moment. The acolytes to the deathly monster continued to throw themselves onto Shield's defenses, failing to gain any more ground than any of their kind had done thus far.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Passive [+1 EN

Action: Dimensional Stampede | -14 EP

[H:4] Shield - HP: 1499/1580 | EP: 111/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:3/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 58/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 984/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97361- BD: 4 + 7 - 3 = 8 [DMG: 27 * 15 = 405 - 147 = 258]

Spoiler

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 379/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - 
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 379/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - 
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 379/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - 

Beat leaped away from the approaching frost even after seeing it stop at his feet. The lich had proven himself as a crafty combatant, so making assumptions about its behavior was not a risk Beat was willing to take. He grit his teeth as he watched Shield freeze in place as the skeletal dragon had done minutes before, "Shield! Hang on! I'll be right there!" 

He followed his shout with a mighty charge, leaping at the specter and thrashing him with yet another plethora of spear strikes. The wraith's hand left Shield's body, though the ice seemed to be far more stubborn. The lich took a few swipes at Beat, missing entirely as his defensive maneuvers proved more than a match for such a reckless retaliatory assault. 

"Gonna have to do better than that!" Beat said, forcing a convincing grin onto his face as he glared up at the towering wraith.  

Edited by Beat

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+79 HP] Recovery [+0 EN] Parry [Cooldown: Done!] Ripostes [Cooldown: 3/3] Healer [Cooldown: 1/5]

Action: Stunned

[H:4] Shield - HP: 1363/1580 | EP: 112/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:3/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 58/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 897/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97379 results: Craft: 10 [Recovery Proc] MOB: 3 [+3+1=12 - Hit - 426-214=212 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 292/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97380 results: MOB: 3 [+3+1=7 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 292/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97381 results: MOB: 4 [+3+1=8 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 292/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97382 results: MOB: 8 [+3+1=12 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

The lich was still over half health despite all of the pressure that Beat had put on it and despite Shield's defensive damage. As control returned to his body, Shield leaped back, trying to get some distance to assess the situation. However, as he turned back around, the lich was already there. With an effortless swipe, a large chunk of his health bar vanished. Shield held his ground, the Stonewall mod eliminating any knock back from the attack. Still, his riposte abilities had not yet finished with their cooldown, and by the time they did, Beat may well have drawn enough hate to become the lich's new target.

He drew in a deep breath, preparing to unleash yet another howl. As he did so, the insignificant lackeys of the lich drifted over, taking swipes at Shield that only served to harm themselves rather than him. The thorns damage they took was more than enough to push them down into the yellow portion of their health bar.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Passive [+1 EN

[H:4] Shield - HP: 1363/1580 | EP: 112/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:4/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 45/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 639/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97546- BD: 4 + 7 - 3 = 8 [DMG: 27 x 15 = 405 - 147 = 258]

Spoiler

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 292/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97380 results: MOB: 3 [+3+1=7 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 292/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97381 results: MOB: 4 [+3+1=8 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 292/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97382 results: MOB: 8 [+3+1=12 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

There it was again! 

Beat blinked his eyes as the Lich seemed to disappear and reappear behind Shield as the recently frozen tank attempted to regain some ground. Beat's brow furrowed as he weaved through the acolytes who decided to take pot shots at him as they retreated from Shield. Beat wasn't sure if they could actually make contact with how the hate system worked, but he knew that he was definitely having to avoid some of the bony swipes. 

It can't be speed, otherwise I would never hit him. Teleportation seems more likely. 

As he approached the Lich, it turned and swiped at him with the same casual effort that he had shown towards Shield. Beat leaped over the large, spectral hand and unleashed his multi-strike sword art into the creature, evoking yet another angry howl from their foe. Landing softly, Beat retreated back to Shield as he kept an eye on the acolytes. 

"Three more should do it, maybe two with your thorns."

Edited by Beat

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+79 HP] Recovery [+6 EN] Parry [Cooldown: Done!] Ripostes [Cooldown: Done!] Healer [Cooldown: 2/5]

Action: Focused Howl [-8 EN]

[H:10/4/4/4] Shield - HP: 1225/1580 | EP: 111/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:4/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 45/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 552/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97551 results: Craft: 10 [Recovery Proc] MOB: 3 [+3+1=12 - Hit - 426-214=212 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 205/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97552 results: MOB: 3 [+3+1=7 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 205/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97553 results: MOB: 3 [+3+1=7 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 292/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97552 results: MOB: 10 [+3+1=14 - Hit - 215+2-214=3 dmg]

The Lich's empty eyes began to stray from Shield. He felt as if something had been clenching tight around his lungs and suddenly released him. He gasped, clutching at his chest. However, whatever effect Shield had been caught in, it was now targeting Beat. Shield watched as the lich simply ceased to be in front of him and was now in front of Beat. There was no 'poof' or a sign of taking off to dash across the room. He simply was there one moment and the next he was somewhere else.

I don't care how you got there, but you're not going to stay there.

Shield took a deep breath into his newly freed lungs and let out a roar focused on the lich. "You think that just because this is your dungeon you call the shots?" he called out. The lich's skull turned slowly to him, and he felt his lungs suddenly close in on themselves a little. "Well, you don't get to! I do!" He beckoned with his sword, urging the lich to come and take a swing. The acolytes began surrounding him once again, having regained their nerve in the face of Shield's challenge. Likely, they responded to the whims of the lich.

Suddenly, despite the acolytes surrounding him, once again, the lich was beside him. All four of the undead swung, but only one of the attacks had any real clout. Still, despite taking Shield down yet another peg, the lich was down into the red. Furthermore, Shield's parry mods had now recovered. In a moment, the lich was going to be in for a rude awakening.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Passive [+1 EN]

[H:10/4/4/4] Shield - HP: 1230/1580 | EP: 111/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:4/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 930/930 |  EP: 32/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 294/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97566- BD: 8 + 7 - 3 = 12 [DMG: 27 x 15 = 405 - 147 = 258]

Spoiler

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 205/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - 
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 205/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 -
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 292/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - 

The color returned to Beat's face as the lich was recalled to Shield. The effect the lich had on his targets did not appear as any sort of buff. If Beat were to label such an ability, he would probably use the term "meta" somewhere in there. An ability that does not register officially in the game yet is undoubtedly there certainly qualified as meta.

That's borderline unfair if bosses get to have abilities like that...sheesh...

With the ice in his veins thawed and his resolve returning, Beat charged forward, the acolytes taking notice and forming a barricade between the lich and himself. 

"Outta my way!" He shouted as he leaped over them like a track star and continued pelting towards the horrifying specter. Once his target was in reach, Beat's spear flew mightily as it appeared to strike multiple points at once and taking another chunk of health from the now waning Lich of Chill Bone. 

Edited by Beat

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+79 HP] Recovery [+6 EN] Parry [Cooldown: 0/1!] Ripostes [Cooldown: 0/3] Healer [Cooldown: 3/5]

Action: Parry [Justified Riposte - Vengeful Riposte] [-5 EN]

[H:10/4/4/4] Shield - HP: 1299/1580 | EP: 111/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:5/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 715/930 |  EP: 32/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 228/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - 

ID# 97568 results: Craft: 10 [Recovery & Parry Proc] MOB: 9  [+3+1=12 - Hit! - Parry - Stun Negated - 426+1/2-214=1 dmg], Riposte: 426/2-147=66 dmg]
AoE vs Beat - ID# 97573 results: MOB: 10 [+3=13 - Hit! - 231+2-18=215 dmg]

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 205/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97569 results: MOB: 9 [+3+1=14 - Hit - 215+1-214=2 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 118/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97570 results: MOB: 2 [+3+1=6 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 205/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97571 results: MOB: 8 [+3+1=12 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

The lich was on its last legs, but Shield knew that taking it down would not be a simple matter of grinding it out. This monster was smart and had qualities that were not typical of creatures in SAO. There was more up its sleeve. Sure enough, as it went to attack, Shield saw it begin to charge what seemed to be a sword art of its own. The look behind its empty eyes seemed familiar, like he had already seen it this fight. As the undead creature prepared to swing, he shifted his shield and sword, putting up a barrier and bracing his sword against the face of the shield.

As the lich swung at him, it dragged its hand across the edge of the sword. It screeched, withdrawing its hand, despite the shockwave that extended outward, pushing against Beat and taking the top off of his health bar. The lich's health dropped, though not as quickly as from thorns. It had struck a powerful blow, but it had not been enough to pierce Shield's full defense.

Behind him, he felt the acolytes paw at him with their weak attacks, but even as they did, he felt the grip of the lich upon his lungs loosen. The counter-attack had shaken it, and it hesitated, stepping back on one skeletal foot.

"He's finished," Shield called out to Beat. "Let's end him quickly!"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Passive [+1 EN

[H:10/4/4/4] Shield - HP: 1299/1580 | EP: 111/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:5/0/0/0] Beat - HP: 715/930 |  EP: 19/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 0/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 - ID# 97582- BD: 9 + 7 -3 = 13 [DMG: 27 x 15 = 414 - 147 = 267]

Spoiler

<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 205/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97569 results: MOB: 9 [+3+1=14 - Hit - 215+1-214=2 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 118/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97570 results: MOB: 2 [+3+1=6 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 205/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97571 results: MOB: 8 [+3+1=12 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

Loot: 

ID# 97582: LD: 16 + 7 = 23 CD: 5 = 6 T3 Mats and 12,600 col

Beat put his spear between himself and the shockwave as it collided with him, throwing him across the room. He flew through the air for several moments before crashing to the ground and tumbling. 

"Okay....no!" He said loudly at the ground and he pushed himself up, his vision clearing from the impact. He obviously felt no pain, but his body felt uncomfortable in several places, as if he had been crushed rapidly and it was still trying to decompress. He grit his teeth as he stood up and glared at the lich, eyeing his nearly depleted health bar. 

"Whoops! Too bad your shock wave sucks!" He shouted as he took off at a sprint, his arms and spear out to the side. The lich, knowing what was coming, lifted his hand, summoning glaciers of ices out of the ground right underneath Beat. The fighter stabbed the handle of his spear into one of the rising glaciers and used it to launch himself directly at the lich's face. 

"Gimme a nice big smile!" He said as his spear obliterated the specter's head into nothing, leaving only the monster's jawbone behind for a few more seconds before disappearing with the rest of the boss's body. 

Edited by Beat

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+79 HP] Recovery [+0 EN] Parry [Cooldown: 1/1] Ripostes [Cooldown: 1/3] Healer [Cooldown: 4/5]

Action: Energize > Beat [Shield: -10 EN, Beat: +8 EN]

[H:4] Shield - HP: 1375/1580 | EP: 102/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:0] Beat - HP: 715/930 |  EP: 27/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 0/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3
<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 118/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97583 results: Craft: 10 [No Recovery] MOB: 4 [+3+1=8 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 31/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97584 results: MOB: 5 [+3+1=9 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 118/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID# 97585 results: MOB: 4 [+3+1=8 - Hit - 215-214=1 dmg, THN - 87 dmg]

Once again, Shield gasped. The haunting vision of hollow, soulless eyes evaporated out of his mind, and with them the restraints on his lungs. He turned to the bone bags that remained, but without their puppeteer, they were left only with the last remaining whim to guide them. Shield saw how low Beat's energy bar had fallen.

"We keep cutting these big fights awfully close," he called out, tossing Beat another new load of energy. With the little health that remained on the acolytes, he doubted that Beat really needed it, but it couldn't hurt. "Finish them off."

The three robed skeletons continued to flail mindlessly, clawing at Shield's arms and back, their sharpened fingertips leaving trails along his contours that closed as soon as they formed. He did not even bother rebuffing them. They could not harm him, and with what was left of their disappearing health, Beat would have no problems whatsoever eliminating them.

"Get us some good loot."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Passive [+1 EN]

Action: Weeping Moon | -15 EP

[H:4] Shield - HP: 1375/1580 | EP: 102/128 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 214 | BH: 79 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:0] Beat - HP: 715/930 |  EP: 13/90 | Dmg: 27 |  Acc: 7 | Eva: 0 | Mit: 18 | LD: 7 | +3 Prosperity

<Lich of Chill Bone> HP: 0/2100 | DMG: 525 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3
<Bone Acolyte 1> HP: 0/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID#97586- BD: 6 + 7 = 13 [DMG: 27 x 9 = 243]
<Bone Acolyte 2> HP: 0/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID#97587- BD: 3 + 7 = 10 [DMG: 27 x 9 = 243]
<Bone Acolyte 3> HP: 0/640 | DMG: 215 | ACC: 3 - ID#97588- BD: 4 + 7 = 11 [DMG: 27 x 9 = 243]

Loot: 

ID#97586- LD: 12 + 7 = 19 CD: 2 = 3 T3 Mats and 5,760 col

ID#97587- LD: 16 + 7 = 23 CD: 9 = 1 Perfect T 3 Consumable and 7680 col col

ID#97588- LD: 4 + 7 = 11 CD: 8 = 1 T3 Mat, 1 Rare T3 Weapon, and 3,840 col

Total Loot: 

79 T3 Mats

141,030 col

4x Rare T3 Weapon

5x Rare T3 Armor/Shields

1x Perfect T3 Weapon

2x Perfect T3 Armor/Shield

5x Perfect T3 Consumables

"You guys have been getting in my way this whole fight." Beat muttered as he glared at the three skeletal followers of the late Lich of Chill Bone. The lich had been a terrifying foe, but these were practically on their last leg from wailing ineffectively against Shield's defenses, such was the fate of non-epic creatures. 

The fighter walked forward, not bothering to invoke his charge skill, and slowly filled his spear with energy as the Acolytes, feeling their end coming, decided to bring the fight to him. They charged towards him with little to no teamwork, giving him nearly the perfect amount of time to dispatch one and be ready again by the time the next one ran up. Like so many scenes from any kung fu movie, Beat cleaved through each one in sequence with his lunar spear-axe, a raspy groan being their last utterances before fading. 

"I dunno if I would call that close, but yeah...he was a doosey.." Beat groaned as he allowed himself to fall onto his back, spread eagle. 

Edited by Beat

Swapping Gear:

-Manticore Mask
-Spirit Spines
-Spirit Plate
+Finder's Keeper
+Seeking Aura
+Raw Passion

Shield pointed to the portion of Beat's field of vision where his energy would be displayed and quirked an eyebrow. Still, unless there was a boss to be found beyond this boss, their efforts were over and done with. Now came the part that any seasoned adventurer was really after: the loot. Not wanting to miss out on anything that might be worth taking home, Shield began rotating out his inventory, swapping out for the items he would need to properly search.

One after another, his pieces of armor, and finally his shield, disappeared, replaced with a number of trinkets that would help make the most of the final sweep. At first, it seemed as if a sweep would be unnecessary. From behind where the dragon's hoard had once sat, a panel slid out of the way, exposing an antechamber that was taken up largely by a decorative mural that stretched out behind a chest. This would likely be the standard dungeon loot, which Shield had come to expect. He tested this theory, holding out a golden key. He waited a moment, but the key remained in tact, revealing that the contents would be just that - standard. Materials and Col.

Edited by Shield