If this were Alfemhim Online I'd have to agree players having Navigation Pixies. But this is SAO and Yui is a bad example as she is a program to observe human emotions and condition much like the Oracle in the Matrix or The Cursed Wage in .hack, only reason she came out to Kitiro and Asuna was because together they exhibited a greater emotion she had to see for herself.

And by far, aside Cardinal, which had no "body", Yui was the only AI we saw. I'm against introducing AI's as they don't feel like they'll serve a purpose here. NPC's however do. As we saw monsters could kill NPCs and they'd respawn later. Quest giver, shop keeper, inn keeper, etc...

So AI's a no, but NPCs should still be no problem. The question is, will these be player NPC or Staff NPC's?

i know for Boss Battles that a NPC should be used and of course controlled by a staff member. Also, Beast Tamers pets could be NPC's since they are killable and they can do attacks on there own (or heal)

I'd imagine that like in typical RPs, unlike normal random NPCs everyone can include in their post (shopkeepers etc.) plot device NPCs are GM-controlled or, if player-controlled, this is done with approval of the GM on a case by case basis.

But I don't remember seeing shopkeeper NPCs in SAO. Maybe my memory's being funky, or maybe all shops were user-managed?

Beast/pet reward quests sounds fantastic and fun quq

But I don't remember seeing shopkeeper NPCs in SAO. Maybe my memory's being funky, or maybe all shops were user-managed?

There were both -- depending on what skill you've worked on, there were merchant shops, and blacksmith shops that were user-managed, and I'm going to assume the same with cooking. And other Misc shops were NPC ran -- The first episode in the Town of Beginnings has a ally way type scene where you can see all of the NPC shops selling swords, jewels, equipment, ect.

Also, i remember them buying NPC Bread for food. XD So there are NPC's shopkeepers that sell the basic gear, However. more advance stuff come from players ^^

But yes, Plot Device NPC's are staff users only and will probably have there own account depending on the case :p but users can make small NPCs to advance there story :)

NPC's will only really sell basic stuff. Monsters are player controled, bosses will probably be as well. Players will have to open up their own shops though just like the game for advanced stuff, if they so choose. Even if they don't want to level up they can proceed through the towns and set up shop or just set up in the main town on the first floor.

As far as NPC for shops, should we develop an area on the site for RP reference use? Example:

City of Beginnings/ Floor 1

-insert picture?-

NPC name: LaMora

Title: Blacksmith

Weapons available:

Sword

Sheild

ect ect

-insert picture?-

NPC name: Artimis

Title: Healer

Pots available:

Health Potion

Stamina Potion? (I don't recall stamina being used)

Poison Elixir

ECT ECT ECT

Never said anything about NPC accounts. Random ingame NPCs like shopkeeps and stuff would add to the universe, but if nobody was motivated to make them, it might get tedious for that one person who cares to make the NPCs on every floor/village/etc., or people would just have extremely generic NPCs that only exist for one post... the lil' profiles for NPCs would encourage there to be a population of set ingame NPCs for people to interact with as needed. It'd be fun.