[PP-F4] A Little Pepper

Oske stopped as her hand hovered over the gypsy’s quest approval button. She was given the option of getting a familiar, but… her fingers slowly quivered and fell by her side. She let out a long sigh and turned away. “Sorry, no thanks,†she murmured. She slowly walked away, heading back to her shop. Tears filled her eyes as she stared at the sign, and she sat down in the snow. “Stupid Oske… no one will ever come to your shop, and you’ll never have a familiar ever again.â€

She pulled up her menu and pressed the PM button. She sent Daeron a private message:

“Hey, could you come to my shop? Memento Mori Blades. I’m lonely. Love, Oskeâ€

Daeron was on the 5th floor training against Sand Crawlers until he heard a notification. He checked his PM Inbox to see who had sent him a message. It was Oske. “Hey, could you come to my shop? Memento Mori Blades. I’m lonely. Love, Oske†the message wrote he replied saying he's on his way. As he slashed at the final monster, he ran to the main city, Armadillo, to find the teleport gate. He then stepped in. "Teleport. Snowfrost Town." having been with Oske enough times he knew the quickest way to get to her shop.

Daeron walked up to the door to see a 'Closed' sign up. He heard a few sobs to his right. When he looked down, he saw Oske in the snow crying. He looked at her eyes, puffy and red, from crying and then he gave her a warm hug. "Darling, what are you doing out here? You're going to catch a cold." he said forgetting you can't actually become sick with the cold in the game. He then took off his warm robe, and wrapped it around her shoulders. "Let's go inside. Then tell me what's wrong." he said as he opened up the door to her shop.

Oske sniffed, gladly accepting his warm hug and robes. She made her way into the dimly lit shop with him. Once she was inside, she noticed that some candles were out. She walked toward them, drawing up the menu and pressing the “light†button for every one. Soon the shop was flickering with the brightness of the candles. A few items were on display, but she wasn’t really interested in them at the time.

“I’m so stupid,†she sighed, wiping her tears away. “I opened up this dumb shop, thinking people would come and buy stuff. I thought that maybe Pinkie would entice them to come, but now Pinkie’s dead, and I’m too much of a baby to get a new familiar. I’m hopeless.â€

Daeron shook his head. "Listen here! You are NOT dumb. You're a great girl. What would you say if we used my shop together? I need good help there. As for your familiar... I'll help you get a new one." he said hugging her. He then kissed her and continued to hold her close to his chest.

Oske shook her head, pulling away. "Your shop is for your guild, isn't it? I don't want to join a guild. I can manage on my own, but... it might just take a while..." she let out in a long sigh. "Hey, um... how about we just go on a walk? There's a frosty forest nearby with little lights hanging from the trees. They might actually be material or something, so it'd be cool if I could use them for crafting..."

She shook her head again. "I just want to be distracted for a little while."

Daeron shook his head. "Actually the shop is open for everyone, but it's our guild's headquarters, but I understand that you don't want to join in. However, as for you being lonely, since I'm part of the front lines and can't be there to help you all the time, although I try... I'll help you get a familiar and those material. Consider this a date between you and I. What do ya say?" he asked her wiping away any tears and hair that was in her face.

• 2 weeks later...

Oske held her stance, smiling sweetly at Daeron. "Okay, let's go. Let me just equip my jacket."

She used her menu and equipped her jacket, then held the door open for Daeron. Once they were outside, she locked up the shop and sighed again. She looked in the direction of the forest, and she blinked in surprise. "Did you see that?" she asked. Before he could answer, she ran in that direction as fast as she could.

As Oske ran, she kept trying to wave her hand as if she were trying to do something. However, whatever she was trying to do clearly didn’t happen, as she cursed and then cried out, “Wait! Don’t go!â€

Far ahead, a small figure was slipping away through the trees. It glanced back, and there was a glint of curiosity in its amber eyes. It then kept running.

“That’s it…†she grunted. She waved her hand up to open her menu as she ran, pressed something, and suddenly dashed forward incredibly fast. She was an expert in her acrobatics skill, so she easily weaved through trees after the figure.

Oske suddenly barreled over the figure, rolling in the snow with it. She sat up and looked at the figure… it was a little girl, with ginger-blonde hair and amber eyes. She wore a pink dress with light stitching, and she had no name above her head.

“What the…†she breathed.

Daeron ran behind her, finally caught up, but out of breath. "Oske, what did you see?" he said as he looked over her shoulder, to find that a small girl with amber eyes was standing there. "Ummm. Oske, am I seeing things now? or is that a child?" Daeron asked once more, trying to reasure himself of what he is witnessing. "Hi there, little girl. Name's Daeron, what about you?" he asked the girl without a name tag over her head.

The little girl stared. Oske paused, then glanced back at Daeron. She reached out her hand and helped the little girl stand, but she was trembling. “Hey, it’s okay,†she breathed. “I’m Oske, sorry for knocking you over… but… who are you? A solo player?â€

The little girl stared. “Pepper,†she murmured. “AI.â€

“Pepper?†Oske asked nervously. “Nice to meet--AI!?â€

Pepper looked around, then nodded slowly. “I am… an artificial intelligence, from Sword Art Online…â€

“Do you know anything about this game!?†she blurted out. Pepper shook her head.

“I am… um… denied from the server information.â€

• 4 weeks later...

Daeron stood shocked, at what he had just heard. How could an AI, be denied access?!

Daeron knew this had to be actually happening, this couldn't be an event. Daeron was shocked to a point he backed away a little. "Oske, did you know AI's roamed the world? Pepper.... how'd you end up here?" he asked both trying to figure out what is currently going on in this current situation.

"I-I didn't," Oske confessed. "Yeah, Pepper, how did you get here?" Pepper looked at the both of them, fluttering her amber eyes in confusion. She squinted at Daeron, then at Oske before she spoke again.

"I came here on my own. The snow... it's nice," the AI replied. "Just because I'm not allowed to know anything about the server doesn't mean I can't go around myself. Why did you follow me, Oske?"

"Because I..." Oske smiled slightly. "You looked a little lost."