[PP - F1] First Time for Everything <<The Second Lesson, Is Also Free >> (Steel and Reinka)

"I'm okay. I just did what was expected of me as a tank. It's my job to take the hits for my comrades." Steel said with a grin. "I'm just glad I was able to keep you safe." He was visibly less tired than Reinka was despite having taken all of the damage throughout this fight. This was due to both his higher stats in general as well as his mental fortitude from martial arts training. "Though I took all the damage, you look more drained than me. Hahaha"

"Well, getting two materials is better than nothing. That would have been worse, getting nothing for all that effort." He said in response, trying to stay positive as he sat down next to the exhausted Reinka who had taken a prone position on the ground. "Well, the pain is more likely your brain messing with you. But there is such a thing as exhaustion in this world. It's not like we can keep going on endlessly. I guess it's a lesson to control damage output in regards to skills."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Getting nothing would have been fine too." she replied. "I got a lot of fighting experience. I wasn't afraid to go all out that time." She smiled happily. "I mean it's okay to hesitate but there might be a time where I can't and this will help make sure I don't hesitate when I have to defend myself or my friends. I guess now instead of being afraid of freezing up too much that I don't do anything. I worry more about freezing up and letting someone down. It's great fighting with you, you know?" she smiled happily at him. "Even though I rely on you I'm still growing and getting better too. Watch out because I'll catch up to you one day Steel." She said with excitement in her eyes. She was far less meek than before, and more sure of herself. She was thanking Steel for all of that. "I'll be ready to go in a few more seconds I think. I think I only need to get one more piggy....What about you?" she asked curiously.

"That's one way to look at it I suppose." Steel was almost surprised at this much more positive outlook. He definitely would have been pissed off if they got nothing from the battle. It was a pretty difficult one after all. But Reinka saw it as a learning experience for something they should have obtained or be more likely to get killed out there. Steel had the years he spent training his mental fortitude to help with him on the battlefield so he had forgotten that it was necessary. "Well, I'm glad to have been the one to ease you into fighting in this world." He said with a small smile. "I look forward to you catching up with me. It'd make the fights easier. But I don't plan on easing up on my leveling either so you've got your work cut out for ya." He said with a grin.

"I still need to get two of those boar tusks. And that's if I manage to get lucky enough to gather the materials," Steel said with a sigh. "Well, we just need to move at our own pace. Don't be in too much of a rush."

She nodded. "I think I only needed the one?" she wasn't sure but she still felt too tired to really look at her inventory. She got up and stretched a couple of times. "All right we should look for those boars then." She was sure she needed one more herself but couldn't remember because her mind was racing with what she did right and wrong in the last fight. Overall she was very pleased with herself. "Hey Steel, I'll do my best to provide you better support later okay?" she felt she should pick up some healing skills so she wouldn't have to worry about his health. "And when I get my shop I'll be out gathering a ton of materials so I can get good at my job very quickly. Then if we're careful we can go on tougher quests so we can survive the more we climb up....I've always wondered what he meant by 'beating the game'. Yes there's the 100th floor but...Does that mean we all wake up when it happens or just the victors?" she wanted to hear his opinion.

"I'll be counting on you then partner. Just don't push yourself too hard. You don't seem to want me to do that so I shall do the same for you." Steel said in response as he got up as well now that the two of them were all rested. She then asked about what Kayaba meant by beating the game. "I'm sure that once the 100th floor boss is beaten, we'll all get out. I remember Kayaba saying as much. And if you want a logical reason why I think this, it's not like floor bosses respawn right? Once that boss is defeated, it won't come back so from there, we'll be all done." He said with a confident grin.

He then noticed 3 boars in the distance. "Let's see how I do this time." He charged at all of them and activated the sword skill Rage Spike and struck at all of them. He managed to kill 2 of them and missed the last one. He managed to get 1 material. "I got one left now as well!" He called out to Reinka as he dodged the surviving Boar's attack.

ID# 97507

BD: 8

ID# 97510

BD: 10

ID# 97509

BD: 5 MD: 4

Party:

Reinka
HP: 120
Energy: 12/12

Steel:
HP: 220
Energy: 19/22

Enemy:

Boar 1: 0/5 Dead

Boar 2: 0/5 Dead

Boar 3: 5/5

ID# 97511 results: Reinka 1, Pig 1

Reinka ran into the fray but was still recovering from their earlier battle. As she came down on the boar it jumped out of the way quickly. Reinka landed hard, her elbow made a small crater in the ground. She hissed not use to hitting her funny bone in awhile. It hurt and she looked up at the pick and then quickly curled herself into a ball shocked to see it running at her. The pick jumped right over her as it lifted it tusk up. The pig looked at Steel, it's eyes blinking quickly in confusion. Reinka stood up dusting off.

"That was embarrassing." She sighed.

The pig squealed and jumped around to face her then jumped back to face Steel. It was hopping all over the place at this point.

"You'll be lucky if there's a next time pig. Because if there is a next time, you won't get to dodge twice." her red eyes were glowing from her abilities as she started to track the pig's movements.

Party:

Reinka
Energy: 10/12 -2  critical miss (+1savy, +1Keen)

Steel:

Enemy:

Boar 3: 5/5

Edited by Reinka

"It dodged twice." Steel said in a rather monotone voice though he did show some surprise on his face at to how he missed so badly. The boar just kinda kept jumping all over the place. It wasn't as though he wasn't trying, the baby boar was just that fast for some reason and looked as though it was high on caffiene. Though he did find it funny that he missed right after Reinka said that the boar wouldn't dodge twice. "Huh, this has become an odd turn of events. Though it certainly is a nice change of pace from that long fight with the firewood with teeth." He said, feeling somewhat relaxed. He walked over to Reinka who was dusting herself off. "You okay there? Want to see if it will dodge a third time now?" He said with a joking tone in his voice. "Well, just do it at your own pace. No need to rush."

ID# 97513

BD: 1

ID# 97515 Battle: 10 Loot: 7

The pig jumped out of the way of Steel and stomped it's hoof on the ground and charged at him. Though he ended up running right past him missing completely. It squealed as it kept on charging not even aware it had missed yet.

"Pig is lucky I don't know any cooks yet!" She shouted as she got up and ran after the pig.

She ran after the pig with a graceful step, she was quick and light on her feet. When the boar stopped it's charge it turned to see Reinka in it's face. She grinned and had an evil look in her eye."This little piggy cried wee wee wee!" She made a fist and punched the pig so hard it exploded into blue fractals. "No one gets away from us." She clapped her hands together and looked back to Steel. She waved to him. "I got him!" she jogged back over. "I think I'm getting stronger maybe." She smiled happily. "Stupid thing didn't drop anything unless I missed it." She scratched her cheek. "Maybe I hit him to hard."

Party:

Reinka
Energy: 10/12 -2  critical miss (+1savy, +1Keen)

Steel:

Enemy:

Boar 3: 0/5 4dmg + 2 crit = 6dmg total dead

Edited by Reinka

Perhaps Reinka is leaning a bit towards the sadistic side? Steel couldn't help but think this as she let out an evil smile while she crushed the pig into polygons. "Well, it's all on luck, getting item drops and such. That's how rpgs are." Steel was brought out of this line of thought when Reinka came back to him. "We just have to find more piggies to kill. In this case, it's really more quantity over quality and hope you get lucky. Come on, onto the next set of piggies. There's a pair right over there. he spotted a pair. He rushed over and swung at the piggies, only causing them to dodge out of the way before trying to attack back which also ended up missing. "Huh, I missed, how embarrassing." Though he said that, he didn't appear to be embarrassed  at all. "Your turn Reinka." He called out to his partner to take her turn at fighting the piggies.

ID# 97517

BD: 4 | MD: 2

Party:

Reinka
Energy: 10/12

Steel:

Enemy:

Boar 1: 5/5 

Boar 2: 5/5 

ID# 97520 results: 6, mob 7 lt 5

Reinka ran over and punched both pigs and jumped back and punched them again. When she watched the blue fractals fly around she felt a little bad for letting go and going, for lack of a better term, full boar on the boars.

"I think I'm low on patients at this point." She sighed not seeing anything at first. "Hm?" She looked at the other spot for the second pig and saw some loot sticking out of the ground. She smiled and knelt down and picked up the material she needed for the quest. She won their game. Though it didn't really matter because they were going out to eat regardless.

"Maybe you should just use area of attack skills. Should I wait for you to finish or still join you?" she asked him curiously.

She didn't want to accidentally get a kill in and be rewarded for it when Steel needed it.

Party:

Reinka
Energy: 7/12

Steel:

Enemy:

Boar 1: 0/5 (4) * 2 Twin Sword ARt = 8dmg

Boar 2: 0/5 (4) * 2 Twin Sword ARt = 8dmg

97521 lt 15 on the 2nd pig

Edited by Reinka

"Looks like you won our little game. Nice work." Steel said as Reinka got the last boar pup tusk she needed and he was still at 2, needing one more. "Let's see if I can get myself the last one shortly." He then noticed a lone pig. "I should be fine fighting a pig on my own. But thanks for the concern. If things get hairy, I'll be counting on ya." He said with a grin before he charged at the lone boar, only to trip over a stub on the road and fall over. Now he actually was embarrassed. On the bright side, the boar had missed him too, having somehow tripped over something itself. The scene itself was almost comical. "Now that definitely was embarrassing." Steel said as he got up but didn't really bother to dust himself off as there was no dust in the first place.

ID# 97524

BD: 1 | MD: 5

Steel:

Enemy:

Boar: 5/5 

She put a hand over her eyes. It looked painful but she was happy the boar missed him. She tried to think of what would be a good way to cheer him on. She was also starting to feel bad for all these pigs. She rubbed the back of her neck still not sure how to feel about her attraction to the game. On the one hand going all out was a good idea, it was also dangerous. She watched him again seeing he stood up fine on his own.

"Go get um Steel!" She knew he could kill it but felt a bit bad for him for falling on his face. She hoped he didn't feel like she judged him, after all she landed flat on her face many times. She remembered missing a great deal by punching a rock. "You can do it!" She waited for him to finish his fight hopeful in his success and victory. She then wondered why he was fighting with a sword when she had seen him fight with his hands before.  She put it to the back of her mind she'd ask him later.

She then looked around to make sure there was nothing sneaking up on them, and then watched Steel's battle once more.

"I've got you now!" Steel said as he charged at the boar pup with another attack at the ready. The boar pup seemed to recognize the incoming danger and decided to stand and fight rather than run, charging back in return. This would have normally resulted in an epic clash of strength in which he would have come out on top. However, this didn't happen. He ended up tripping over once again as he swung and missed the boar. The boar in turn also ended up tripping over itself again for some reason, thus recreating the early comedy scene. The two of them kept at it for a while, continuously missing each other and sometimes tripping. "Curse my E rank luck..." He said as he was getting irritated. Despite the cheering from Reinka, he kept missing all the time. I must look so uncool Steel couldn't help but think to himself about lame he must have looked.

ID# 97527

BD: 1 | MD: 1

Steel:

Enemy:

Boar: 5/5 

"Hm...E ranked luck." She walked over and dusted Steel off. "I'm only going to do this once." she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "Lady luck at your service. Besides, if you admit you have bad luck then it'll just hit you harder. Look at it this way. Your luck is actually good, because you haven't been hit yet." She explained. "So it's actually pretty decent luck if you ask me. Believe in yourself more okay." She gave him a light smack on the rear to get him moving for extra luck. "Lets see if I still got it. Maybe he'll manage to even get the loot too from this hit." She watched with high anticipation. Hoping to see a victory.

Reinka looked around again to make sure there were no enemies nearby then looked back to watch the fight to see how it would play out.

Come on Steel you can do it.

He didn't have much experience with girls, no thanks to his grandpa having him do a bunch of training growing up, so Steel couldn't help but blush a little when Reinka all of a sudden kissed him on the cheek. She then gave him a bit of a pep talk about luck and told him to believe in himself more. After being pushed back into the ring, Steel got into a fighting stance, one similar to a one handed kendo stance. I'm not too sure on that working since whatever's controlling RNG seems to hate me but I owe it to her to try! He thought to himself as the boar began to charge at him. "Snake Bite." He calmly said as he let loose three slashes onto the boar and made it turn into blue polygons. He also received the notification that he had gotten the last boar tusk he needed. "I honestly didn't expect that to work." He said as he turned to face Reinka with a slightly bashful look on his face. "Um, thanks for that."

ID# 97534

BD: 9 | LD: 12

Steel:
Energy: 17/22

Enemy:

Boar: 0/5 (Dead)

She smiled happily at him holding her hands together. "You better have believed in yourself though, otherwise you likely just used up my luck only. So, I guess, your luck is a muscle, you have to work it?" she wasn't sure how to explain that. She thought about it. "Well I guess we head back, or are you going to trip over a mimic again?" she asked honestly hoping that wouldn't happen. Even though she didn't take any damage it caused her to be more aggressive and she knew it. "I think I've had enough fighting for one day." She stretched for a bit."I don't think it's healthy just fight nonstop." She looked at him again. "We'll have to work on your luck, you have to use it and not only see the faults I think." She started to walk back with him.

"Gotcha, I'll trust in myself a little. I'll believe in the you that believes in me and I'll believe in the me that believes in myself." Steel said with a small smile as he made another anime reference. "I'm not going to even try looking for a treasure chest this time." Steel said with a bit of a laugh as he didn't want to deal with a mimic possibly coming out. "Yeah, let's go back to town. After we turn in the stuff to Lyle and finish the quest, we can go eat that couple's meal you wanted to eat and then go to our inn room for the night. We need to let loose a little after all those fights."

"How on earth would I work on my luck exactly?" He couldn't help but bring up the question since she seemed to think that it was something you could improve. True, he could improve his chance of success through gear enhancements but that was a different matter. Luckily the two hadn't gone too far so it didn't take them long to get back to town which now had an orange tint to it due to the sunset. "Remember where Lyle's workshop was from here?"

She followed him and looked over at him. She thought about how she trained her luck. The more she tried to remember how it was originally the worse it was. She would have bullies, and didn't really do extraordinary at anything. She went against the grain yes, but that kept her very isolated and away from people in general. While in SAO she slept in the cold or the rain and yet.

"You can't dwell on the bad parts.Like when the boar missed you. Maybe you missed the boar to be in the right position for it to miss you. So when you have bad luck look around and what the balance of it was. People always dwell on the bad, and then become unlucky but that's not how luck works. It's just a misconception." She rubbed the back of her head and walked to Lyle's shop. "So if you're more positive it might turn the luck around. I got this way from a common phrase on stage. Break a leg. If a person actually broke their leg on stage it'd be pretty bad. There's also the superstition that wishing a person good luck is enough to ruin them. Because their brain turns it into the interpenetration of having added pressure." She placed her index finger on her lip. "So the only way to fix qoute bad luck is to shock the brain to produce an even more random luck. Given that you missed twice already your chances logically don't change. It should be a fifty fifty reset chance every time you attack if you don't have bonuses on your weapons, but would that be true? If it's all numbers then one could argue it works like the lottery. You never see the numbers repeat and say you have to pick four numbers you will always pick two low numbers and two high numbers. Example one through forty is what you can pick. Two numbers will be below twenty and the other two will be above forty this gives you a better chance. It's hard to explain but luck is in the mind. If you're having a good time even during the quote bad luck then you won't notice it there and see more of the good luck." She thought more. "I wish I had an example."

What Reinka was saying both made sense and didn't make sense at the same time. He got the part where luck was a trick to the brain or how luck worked in different ways but most everything else kinda flew over him. He got the gist though. "So basically, be positive and notice how the situation could have been worse and that the brain's interpretation can play a part in this luck." He said, summarizing what she said. "I'll try and stay positive, like Makoto from Danganronpa. Wasn't that what he was like basically? Something bad happens to him but it leads to something good or it kept him out of harm's way."

Eventually, the two of them had reached the workshop and they entered in. "Lyle, we got what you needed, some baby boar tusks."

"Ah, thank you you two. In return, I'd like to give you this potion of safeguard for your next quest as well as an uncommon level weapon or armor." Lyle said with a smile.

"I'll take a curved sword. I already have a normal sword of the same rank so what the heck." Steel said nonchalantly. "How about you Reinka?"

"Yes it something like that. Luck is a balance to things, but it can work against you if you tell it to. Like saying I have bad luck. So then you really do because you missed the good part." she tried to explain. "So yeah you got it. Break a leg then." She gave him the thumbs up and looked at handed Lyle what he requested. "Sorry that took so long Lyle we ran into some unexpected trouble." She laughed nervously feeling rather bad it took them as along as it did.

"Oh I see that's all right. I'll be giving you an item you can only use in the next quest so please don't be alarmed." He smiled politely.

"Oh." She looked back over to Steel a little surprised at that statement. "I guess I'll take the armor then with Heavy as it's mitigation slot then That way I can sell it later I guess."
"Oh found something stronger already?" Lyle asked.
"Well I may have over prepared." Reinka patted Steel on the back. "I had him with me and lets just say I got this done a lot smoother than I could hope to do it alone."
"Oh that's good! There's nothing like comradely is there?"
"You got it." she looked to Steel again. "Food after this?"