[SP-F17] The Musical Duel of Jomei and Apollo <<Challenge of Olympus>>

<<1 Yui's Grace used (2/5)>>

<<Challenge Of Olympus: Performer>>

<<Floor 11: Taft>>

Related imageWith morning's arrival, the artificial sun slowly rose over the peaks of the mountains that sat far off in the distance from the Floor's main settlement of Taft. The quiet, European styled town was bathed in a warm, yellow glow, the darkness of night fading the higher the sun ascended into the sky. A gentle light flooded through the tall, glass pane leading to the town house's balcony, shining directly upon the face of the sleeping ginger. The brightness that could be seen from the other side of his eyelids caused the man's eyes to slowly open, olive green orbs glistening in the sun's rays as they illuminated their bedroom. Jomei rolled onto his back to escape the bright light from hitting his face, letting his chin fall to the opposite side of the bed as to face the woman that laid by his side. The blonde still slept soundly, her blonde curls partially falling over her face. With a soft smile, the Irishman brought one of his hands upwards, using the knuckle of his finger to push the hair from the front of her face.

Making sure not to disturb Telrenya as she slept, Jomei turned his head yet again to face forward, staring up at the ceiling above him. It was much earlier in the morning than he usually woke up, especially on a day when he had nothing planned. Though, Jomei's body decided it was fully rested and had other plans. Sliding his feet out from under the blue sheet the couple slept under, Jomei sat up, rubbing the moisture and sleep from his eyes. Blinking a few times to adjust to the light of morning, Jomei's gaze met that of the tawny owl in the corner of their room, sitting atop her perch. Adere looked across to him with dark black orbs before letting out a soft coo of greeting, to which Jomei responded with a warm smile of his own. Taking one last look over his shoulder to make sure his movement had not woken the girl, Jomei rose from the bed, and walked to the dresser across from him. With a quick change of his attire, Jomei changed from the sleeveless black shirt and grey pajama pants, to a pair of slimmer fitting brown pants and a quarter sleeve green shirt. The ginger stretched his arms into the air before walking over to the sliding, glass door that led to the small balcony overlooking Taft's streets. 

As the glass doorway was pushed to the side, Jomei's body was met with a soft breeze that hinted at the changing of the seasons. The man smiled as he ran a hand through his unruly, now windswept hair, enjoying the city when it was at its quietest. After stepping out onto the wooden surface, Jomei rested both of his arms on the black, metal railing that lined the balcony, glancing out over to roofs of the adjacent shops and houses. Just below, nearly no persons walked the streets yet, save for the occasional NPC starting their predetermined day, or the early to rise, adventurous player. The thought crossed his mind to fill the void of silence with the soft sound of his music,  but soon dissipated. Lids slowly closed over olive eyes, leaving the man to simply listen to the sounds of Taft. Those sounds were sure enough interrupted by the chiming of small bells, a note that Jomei was too familiar with. Opening his eyes again, the man did not need to think much to immediately move his hand to the yellow letter-like icon that would open his messages. To his surprise, however, this message was not from another player, but from the Cardinal system.

A notification had been sent to the man regarding his current standing in his Performer profession. Jomei was never much to actually craft anything that would be of any use, so his rank in his profession was fairly low. Despite, it still seemed that he qualified for the quest that the system was offering to him. Upon Floor Seventeen, waited a quest for Performers of the second rank. Any other details including what the quest consisted of, who he needed to speak with or even what he would be rewarded were omitted from the message. At the end, however, were a simple O and X-- buttons that Jomei would use to either Accept or Deny the request. Chin turning to look over his shoulder, back into the quietness of his bedroom, he saw that his fiance still slept soundly, giving no sign of her waking up any time soon. Jomei smiled once more before turning his attention back to the screen in front of him, and accepting the Performer quest. <<Challenge of Olympus: Performer>> appeared in front of him in gold lettering, accompanied by the floor he was meant to travel to. 

With the quest now accepted, Jomei turned and walked back into the bedroom, sliding the door shut behind him. He changed his clothes yet again, this time to his Coat of the Master Duelist, save for the plates of armor that normally sat upon his chest and shoulder. Stepping back to his bed, Jomei sat on the edge and gently placed a hand upon the blonde's shoulder. "I'll be back later, just heading out to do a small quest. You get some sleep.he spoke in a nearly silent whisper. Without opening her eyes, Telrenya replied with a sleepy hum, the corners of her lips pulling into a smile that was just as small. The Irishman let out a soft chuckle before leaning his head down and placing a kiss on the girl's temple. After bidding the girl farewell, Jomei rose to his feet yet again and looked to Adere with a nod, summoning her to his shoulder. All set for adventure, Jomei made his ways down the stairs of their house and out the front door onto the morning street of Taft. 

The surrounding streets on his path to the teleport gate in the center of town were just as empty as they were from atop his balcony. The ginger brought a hand up to the nape of his neck, scratching at the skin that sat beneath his ginger locks curiously. "Jeez... just how early did I get up?" he said to himself as he walked past an NPC that pushed a simple merchant's cart. His mind wandered as he walked, enjoying the peaceful sounds the morning brought, before players and NPCs emerged from their homes to increase the volume with conversations and daily tasks. Just what did a quest pertained to Performers entail? When he first took the profession, he needed to find materials necessary to craft his instrument.. but now at this rank, what would the quest have him do? On top of that.. the mission was titled, "Challenge" of Olypmus.. would he need to complete some sort of challenge for this reward? Looking forward at raised platform used to warp between floors, the ginger smirked and nodded confidently. He knew whatever this quest threw at him, he would be able to handle with no problems 

<<Floor 17: Athenaia>>

Related imageFloor Seventeen was one of the few floors that Jomei had yet to explore. Its Greek like architecture was unlike Jomei had ever seen before, as if it had jumped right off the page of a  history book pertaining to the ancient cities long lost to time. Olive eyes widened as he gazed upon the vibrant, white marble roads and matching buildings. Even the attire of the NPCs bore similarities to what they wore in ancient Greece. With the sightseeing out of the way, Jomei stepped from the warp gate. "Alright, time to find out about this quest.. maybe I should ask some of the locals.." Before the ginger could get far from the center of Athenaia in search of the specifics of this quest, Jomei could hear the small starts of NPCs nearby. His head turned in the direction of the sound to see people moving out of the way of some sort of humanoid. 

The creature's hooves clopped against the hard marble ground as it made its way through the crowd towards where Jomei stood. The lower half of its body looked like the back legs of a goat.. hooves, fur, and even a small tail. The upper half, however, was that of a shirtless man, a white and gold scarf wrapped around his neck, and curved horns poking through the ragged brown hair on his head. Its chin rose a couple of inches, yellow eyes looking up to the ginger. "Just the man I was looking for." he said with a chuckle before crossing his arms. Jomei blinked in surprise before pointing his finger into his chest, "M-me?" he questioned, not sure why this Satyr was looking for him. "Yes. You." The half-goat responded, uncrossing his arms and also poking Jomei in the chest, "You accepted the challenge of the Apollo, didn't you?" Confused for a moment, Jomei realized that the challenge he mentioned must have been the quest he had accepted, "Oh yeah, yeah. I was just wondering where I had to go." The Satyr turned, keeping his eyes locked on Jomei as he looked over his shoulder, "Well then, follow me." 

Jomei followed silently behind the satyr, watching the shocked expressions of the passer-bys as he walked by. "So.. who are you anyway?" Jomei finally asked. "The names Andel. The gods usually send me and my brothers into the city to fetch those they think are good enough for their challenges." Gods? Jomei was unaware that there was any sort of religion in this world.. though judging on the floor's theme, he assumed that the gods he spoke of were those of Greek mythology. Jomei did not know much about the topic, other than common names he had learned from school. The one name Andel had mentioned, Apollo, was familiar.. though what Apollo represented was unknown to him. "Alright then, where exactly are we headed then?" Andel chuckled, his eyes following the rear end of a female player as she walked by, before shifting to meet Jomei's with a smirk. "Mount Olympus of course." 

Mount Olympus was definitely a name that Jomei recognized from prior history lessons. It was the supposed summit where all of the Greek gods and goddesses resides. Jomei was shocked to know that such a place existed in Aincrad. Jomei opened his mouth to ask Andel another question, though stopped when he noticed the satyr was distracted with another group of female players standing together.. The smirk he wore was full of lust as he snickered. Jomei cleared his throat loudly before bringing up another question, "This challenge.. what exactly do I have to do?" The half man chuckled and turned his attention back to Jomei again, beginning his walk through the town yet again. "You ask a lot of questions kid.. Honestly-..." Andel's yellow eyes widened as he stared at a busty woman who walked by, her shirt revealing a bit more than usual armors did. The look on her face seemed less than pleased that he decided to look at her like that. ".. do you have to stop and stare at every woman that walks by?" Jomei barked in a stern tone. Andel shook his head to snap himself out of it, shrugging his shoulders, "Sorry sorry.. its just in my nature. Can't help it hehe.. Anyway. .The challenge.  I don't know. They're different for everyone. All depends on what Apollo things when he sees you."

Fed up with the Satyr's lustful antics, Jomei walked past the half man and continued to walk along the marble coated streets on his own. "Hey hey wait up!" Andel called after him, his hooves pounding against the street as he rushed to catch after Jomei. Finally, the two passed through the tall stone walls and emerged from the safe zone that was Athenaia. The landscape varied greatly from the vibrant, exuberant city inside of the walls. The terrain was rugged, almost resembling that of a battlefield. Ruins from prior cities could be seen scattered about, including a ginormous structure that stood mostly intact that looked like Aincrad's own version of the Parthenon. Andel came wandering out from behind Jomei, sucking his teeth, "Geez kid... if I knew you didn't like girl's, we could have just kept moving." The Irishman's cheeks burned red, "W-Wait what are you saying?! I'm not.. I just don't.. I don't look at women like that." he forcefully crossed his arms at his chest. "I'm a taken man, and I don't look at women like they are objects for my own pleasure." Andel rose his hands up with a small chuckle, "Alright Alright.. I hear ya... Next time I'll make sure to walk by some guys for ya.Jomei groaned, "This is going to be a long walk.. isn't it.." 

The walk was long, but mostly uneventful, save for the two mobs that Jomei needed to save Andel's furry ass from because he thought they were just statues. Finally the two arrived at the farthest corner of the floor, practically at the border that surrounded the entire floor. What stood before them was a mountain that seemed just like the rest, save for its peak being hidden in the clouds, and the tall marble columns that stood at the base of it. "Are you sure that this is the palce?" Jomei asked as his eyes followed the staircase that created a path up the side. "Yup! This is it. Mount Olympus. You're on your own though from here kid.. I can't go up with ya." Jomei turned to him, tilting his head in confusion. "Ya see.. if we don't bring back someone who really is worthy enough to face the gods.. then, well.. they don't get too happy with us..." Andel drew a line along his neck with his finger to signify their execution. "Ah.. but you're a good kid..You'll be fine.  Its a shame though." he said with a smirk, shaking his head, " Aphrodite would've liked you.. ya'know.. if you weren't.." he snickered. "Are you still on about that?!" Jomei barked back. "Relaaaax kid.. I'm just pulling your leg.. The trip would've been a lot more boring if I didn't, eh?" 

Image result for mt olympus anime<<Floor 17: Mt. Olympus>>

Jomei glared at Andel for a short moment before taking in a long, deep breath through his nostrils, exhaling with a chuckle. "Yeah, you got a point." Facial features softened as he brought a hand out, placing it upon the exposed shoulder of the satyr, "Thanks for the help Andel." Jomei then turned towards the mountain and stood between the tall, white and gold columns that served as a sort of gateway to the sacred mountain. "Wish me luck." he said with a confident nod, before beginning his trek up the mountain. The stairs that made up the mountains path were steep, and one wrong step would cause Jomei to stumble. The man was cautious however, and took every step with care. 

Despite how high Jomei climbed, he still could not see the peak through the clouds -- no hint of this summit of the gods. The Irishman wondered if it even existed here.. if it was just some metaphor to climb to the top and fight some boss instead. However, after emerging from the top of the clouds, Jomei could see a large structure that sat atop the mountain's flat peak. 

The peak of the mountain housed a large, circular structure made of shining white marble and bricks of gold that reflected the suns light to give it even more of a shine. Jomei stood in awe for a moment, staring up at the monument, before continuing the trek up the last set of stairs to arrive at the gates of Olympus. Jomei was met at the front gate by two armored soldiers who stood tall, armed with spears and kite shields. As the ginger approached, the guardsmen let the spears fall to the side, blocking Jomei's entry, and causing the man to flinch. Olive eyes looked between the two soldiers, confused for a moment, before bringing a hand up to summon the message sent to him earlier from the Cardinal system. Swiping his hand to the side, the message created a half circle between Jomei and the guards as the screen moved to sit in front of the two for a moment. The soulless gaze from behind the helmet looked at the white screen for a mere second, before the spears were raised back to an upright position, allowing the ginger to pass. 

The Irishman's feet slowly carried him forward, while his eyes gazed upon the glory that was Mount Olympus' peak. He had been so taken aback by the glory that was the summit, that he did not notice the blonde haired man standing there with his arms crossed. "So glad you could make it." the man said in a welcoming tone. Jomei's attention turned to the voice, which came from a man of a slightly taller and more muscular stature than him. His hair burned bright gold, as if made of the sun's surface. In his arms gently laid a solid gold lyre, like a small handheld harp. The man chuckled, "I have been watching you, as I do all Performers.. Your skills have improved since first taking on the Profession. But the real question is.. are they enough."  Extending an arm forward, the god-like man smirked at the ginger, "I, Apollo, challenge you to a musical bout to see if you are worthy enough. Do you accept the challenge?" 

Jomei blinked multiple times in surprise.. here he thought he would be the one to challenge Apollo. Yet, here he was, offering the challenge to Jomei. Who was he to deny this god what he wanted, especially if he would get some fun out of it. The ginger turned his body to face Apollo, crossing his arms at his chest. "I accept your challenge, Apollo. Name your game." Apollo let out a friendly laugh before turning his hand upwards and snapping his fingers. A bright blue light, enveloped both Jomei and Apollo, transporting them to a nearby valley at the base of a mountain. The area seemed secluded, save for a few wandering sheep and the shepherds who attended them. "A musical duel, if you will." Apollo began, finding a rock to sit upon. "We stand now at the feet of the mountain Tmolus. It is home to a number of my followers.. each a lover of music such as us." His eyes turned to the face of the mountain, which was cast in a silhouette as the sun sat behind it. "As the sun sets behind the mountain, the lanterns that light the town could be seen through the shadow.. They will serve as the judge of our little challenge." 

Apollo extended a hand out towards Jomei, holding up two fingers to make the letter V. "Two songs. We each play two songs, taking turns. The townspeople will ignite their lanterns to show support for either side. Whichever of us has more lanterns lit by the end of our second song, will be deemed the winner." Apollo brought the side of his lyre up against his chest, and bringing his free hand to rest upon the opposite side, "So Jomei.. do you think you have what it takes?" Jomei looked across at the golden haired man for a moment before summoning his menus with a swipe of his hand. Moments later, his lute materialized above him and fell into his arms. The ginger smirked at his opponent, "I know I do." 

"Hmm.." Apollo hummed in approval, "Good. Then allow me to start." As Apollo prepared himself to play his first song, silence fell across the valley-- quiet enough to hear the voices of the townspeople, if they too were not as silent as the dead. For a moment, Jomei even wondered if anyone lived in that town, though his attention was quickly brought back to his opponent as he began to play. 

Apollo's long fingers gently pulled against the strings of the lyre, that glistened with the same golden hue as the rest of the instrument. The sweet, soft notes broke the quiet, yet did not disrupt the peace of the beautiful valley. Jomei stood in awe at the sound the god was able to produce from an instrument so simple. His eyes turned back to the town, to see lanterns slowly being lit, one by one. His bottom lip pulled in his mouth where his teeth gently gnawed on the skin.. did he really have the skill to beat this man in a musical duel? As Apollo let his fingers glide along the columns of strings yet again, his song came to an end. "Well, looks as though the town enjoyed my music, as they always do.. might be a bit hard to beat boy." Cocking an eyebrow, Jomei turned back to Apollo, "Just watch me." Positioning his fingers upon the long piece of wood that the instrument's strings ran along, Jomei plucked at the other end of the strings with his other hand. The music he played differed from the song that Apollo's instrument sang. Where the god played a soft, lulling melody, Jomei decided to go with a traditional Irish jig played on the lute. The tune was much more upbeat at joyful, and the townspeople showed their approval with lanterns igniting. By the end of his song however, it seemed as though a few more houses had supported Apollo's song. 

The god's eyes looked upon the town, shaking his head and sucking his teeth. "Tsk tsk tsk.. come Jomei, I thought you could do better than that. Perhaps.. I was wrong." Jomei growled lightly to himself before smirking, "You said two songs Apollo.. And I'm just getting warmed up." The golden haired god grinned before laughing, "There's the spark I was looking for. Come then, another song." Bringing the lyre up to his chest again, Apollo played a song that was just as beautiful as the first.. if not slightly more. The tempo and style, however, was mostly the same. The townspeople did not seem to mind that, however, as their support for Apollo was about the same. With the end of his song, Apollo lowered his lyre yet again, and gestured for Jomei to begin. The ginger's mind ran through all the songs he knew, wondering what they would possibly prefer over Apollo's soft melody's. His mind settled upon the song that he and Telrenya had wrote together, despite sounding much better as a duet. Jomei took in a deep breath, and rose a hand from his lute to grasp at Erin's Protection around his neck, closing his eyes. Once they had reopened, Jomei's hands returned to the lute, and began to play. Coming up with different variations to switch between the parts he wrote for himself, and the parts he wrote for Telrenya, Jomei played the lute to his hearts content. He did not pay any mind to the town's support, or Apollo's reaction, only the cheerful thoughts of him playing the song with the woman he loved. 

The heart and passion Jomei had put into the song seemed to have won over the support of the townspeople, as not only did most of the town light their lanterns in the player's favor, but the sound of cheering could be heard pouring into the valley from the mountain above. Apollo stood from his rock, shocked at first, yet he soon accepted his defeat. "Well.. looks like you are the clear winner here my friend." he said, shaking his head with a smile. "You clearly are a worthy performer.. and as a reward.." Apollo held his golden lyre out to the ginger with a smile on his face, "Of course.. you won't be able to play it as I do. But let it serve as inspiration when you compose your music. Farewell for now, my friend."

In another flash of blue light, Jomei was transported back to the base of Mount Olympus, between the two tall columns. In front of him, a small message box for him to claim his reward for completing the quest. Turning once more to look back up at the mountain, the summit of the gods was once again hidden amongst the clouds. With a smile on his face, Jomei turned back to the screen and accepted the reward before heading back towards town.

Thread Complete

Jomei: 400 col
3 SP (1 Quest + 1 Thread + 1 Yui's Grace)

CD Tool, Apollo's Lyre