[F-01 SP] Continuing From a Very Good Place to Start <<The Second Lesson, Is Also Free>> [Completed]

Neo had approached the blacksmith, who greeted her with a warm smile so contrasting to her mood just that morning.

"Hello there, I see you brought me a package from Zackariah, how kind of you. Say, if you don't mind, I can use a little help of my own here. I've run a little short on some of my rarer materials and would love if you could help gather them for me." Neo nods her head in agreement, hesitant to have to go do the same thing all over again. "I've been in need of some boar pup tusks for a while now, if you would please go fetch some for me, that would be wonderful."

Neo stayed for a little bit, making sure that the man didn't have any dialogue left to give. She then quickly left for the fields outside the Town of Beginnings once again. However, this time with the intent to kill.

Neo wandered out into the open fields, looking for a target. She spotted several boar pups, but many of them were surrounded by other fully grown boars. Neo just wanted to find an isolated pup that would be much easier to kill. As the night became ever more enveloping, she found one. A single little boar pup just waiting to be killed. She should've felt some remorse for killing the creature, but spurred by her lust to finally become useful she didn't hesitate to ready her weapon. The boar pup just stood there, not realising what was about to come to it. Its breaths were numbered from this point forward, and Neo would witness the last of them. Suddenly, the boar turned and saw Neo, poised to strike, and almost looked startled.

It's just a virtual monster, but they sure did a good job in trying to make me regret this.

Spoiler

Encounter: Boar Pup

HP: 5

Damage: 3 (doesn't gain bonus damage from critical hits)

Neo: (level 3)

HP: 60

ENG: 6

Equipment: Bloodedge, 3x starter healing potions (+50 HP)

Neo goes in for a stabbing lunge at the little beast quickly. However, she overestimated how large it was and misses completely. The boar seems more than a bit fazed, unsure about what just happened to it. As Neo gets up from over guessing her lunge, the little pup just sits there, still in a daze. Using this to her advantage, Neo takes the time to steady herself again and actually analyze her opponent.

Can't let me aggression blind me from the task at hand. I need to make sure that I get this done and get this done quickly. I'm going to have to do this multiple times and I don't want to be out here all night still looking to gather boar pup tusks.

The boar starts to snort and swipe its hoof across the ground preparing to charge.

Well then, if you're ready little guy, so am I.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100854

BD: 3 - Miss

MD: 4 - miss

Neo:

ENG: 4 (-2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

The two both charged at each other simultaneously. Neo filled with the rage of doing nothing for so long and the boar filled with whatever the game puts inside of it. Both charged with the intent to kill, or at least maim. However, it was the boar this time that misjudged where to go. It charged off to the side and caused both of them to go wide with their strikes. Neo attempted to correct, but nearly lost her balance doing so. Having to regain her footing once more, Neo tried to formulate a strategy that didn't involve incessant charging.

Let's play a bit on the defensive, let the boar come to me and I can figure out where to place my strike. I should hopefully be able to take it out much easier if I don't have to worry about as many things at once.

The boar prepped for yet another charge.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100855

BD: 1 - Critical Miss

MD: 2 - Miss

Neo:

ENG: 3 (-2 Miss, +1 regen)

Edited by Neopolitan

Stand still, put your right foot forward, no wait, the left. Maybe it should be the right, does it even matter to the sword art. What if it's because of handedness. Am I holding the blade wrong, maybe change the grip up a little bit...

Distracted in her thoughts once again, Neo didn't even realize that the boar was already charging at her. The little things hit her square on, and she was staggered by the impact. Thankfully, the boar wasn't full grown or she would've likely been knocked flat by it. She saw her health bar drain, but not nearly as much as with her fight against the adult boar that evening.

Either this boar hits much less harder, or I've already gotten stronger. Either way, I need to take this thing out quickly.

Neo steadied herself once more and prepared to try and activate her sword art once again.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100856

MD: 9 - Minor Critical Hit

Neo:

HP: 57 (-3 HP): 3 base and no bonus from crit

ENG: 2 (-2 miss +1 Regen)

Edited by Neopolitan

The boar was coming at her, malicious intent in its eyes. But Neo didn't even hear it coming. Everything began to grow faint as she felt that aura return once again.

Here we go, time to tear this boar into pieces. Then I'll be one step closer to achieving my goal of making it to the front lines.

She let the aura take control guiding her every move like it was natural to her. The beast was stamping its feet into the ground as it loomed ever closer. But it didn't matter. Neo let loose two quick strikes of her blade and suddenly she heard a shattering sound, almost deafening to her now open ears. The boar pup was gone, and in its place it had left one of its little tusks for her to collect. Neo grabbed the tusk and began looking for another isolated boar pup to take down.

Spoiler

Combat:

Roll ID: #100857

BD: 9 - Minor Critical Hit

MD: 6 - Hit, but nullified due to death

Neo:

ENG: 1 (-2 Sword Art, + 1 regen)

Boar Pup:

HP: 0 (-6 HP): 3 base * 2 SA

Loot:

Roll ID: #100858

LD: 19 - Success (1/3 Boar pup tusks found)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo continued her tireless search for her next target, and as she did so, noticed her health bar go back to full.

Well, it's nice to know that I regenerate relatively quickly. The creators of this game were kind enough to give us that luxury.

Neo felt more invigorated than ever as she spotted another pup. This one seemed ever so slightly bigger than the last one that she took down, and in response Neo approached much more carefully.

Less recklessness, more carefulness. Wait to engage until certain a strike will be reached, a strike that misses isn't a strike at all.

Neo kept the boar pup's back to her as best as she could, making sure she wasn't spotted until absolutely certain that this would be her next victim, a gift of the game that she had to accept if she were to escape this horrendous game of death.

Spoiler

Neo:

HP: 60 (+10 out of combat regen)

ENG: 2 (+1 regen)

Boar Pup:

DMG: 3 (doesn't gain damage on a critical hit)

The boar was completely unaware of what was to come. Neo had gotten the process down now, and could already feel the aura around her. Everything but the sound of her breathing began to quiet down, energy flowing through her. She let the blade guide her once more, this time directly at the boar pup in front of her. With two quick slashes, the squeal of the boar was silenced as quickly as it began. The boar shattered into the many red pixels Neo was beginning to become quite familiar with. As soon as the pixels disappeared Neo began to look for the tusk. But after a few minutes, she was unable to find one.

Guess it doesn't always drop. Oh well, just means I need to work a little harder next time.Time to find the next boar pup for me to take out.

Neo continued her search for the next boar in the fields growing ever dark as the moon began to set.

Spoiler

Combat:

Roll ID: #100880

BD: 10 - Critical Hit

MD: 7 - Hit, nullified due to death

Neo:

ENG: 1 (+1 regen, -2 SA)

Boar Pup:

HP: 0 (-10 HP): (3 base + 2 crit) * 2 SA

Loot:

Roll ID: #100881

LD: 9 - unsuccessful

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo soon after found another boar pup on its own, almost as if the game was wiling her to continue her wanton murder. This one was already facing her though, so no surprise would be in order. Neo went to release her now standard sword art and didn't notice the boar charging at her. The boar was small enough and trying to dodge her strikes that it went underneath her legs, but this unfortunately meant that Neo's attack completely missed. Once again, Neo was faced with the prospect of repeated charges at one another.

This can certainly get quite repetitive, I can only hope though that at least the flavor of the fights change as one progresses through this beast of a game.

The boar had turned around and prepped for another charge as Neo mirrored near identical motions. The two stared at each other before beginning to run at each other.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100882

MD: 3 - Miss

Neo:

ENG: 0 (+1 regen -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

The boar was running swiftly at Neo, who was matching pace with it. As the two grew closer, Neo realized that her blade was only going to hit on the flat side instead of actually cut through the boar. In an attempt to correct this, Neo had stopped judging the distance between her and the pup. The pup took the advantage and hit Neo square in the chest, knocking the wind out of her. Neo had to quickly regain her footing as the boar backed up for another charge. Catching beck on to her breath, the only thing she could think of was what would happen if she was unable to move forward, stuck in this quest for all eternity.

Don't get stuck in a thought loop, this is only a game. No, not a game, this is life or death now. I can't afford to take this at the face value given, I have to make sure I understand the weight behind each and every one of my actions.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100883

BD: 4 - Miss

MD: 6 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 57 (-3 HP): 3 base

ENG: 0 (+1 regen -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

As Neo sat and contemplated about the game and its purpose, the boar took its opportunity to charge once again. Being smart and not letting herself become completely distracted by her thoughts, Neo saw the charge coming and managed to deftly evade it. However, she wasn't focused enough to get a counter strike in, wasting her time and precious stamina.

This is no time to think about the future, back to looking at the ground in front of me. I need to look at the now if I want to make it to the future. After all, this game is a lesson in permanency, best not waste the wisdom it's trying to teach.

The two foes continued their stare down as Neo thought to herself. The pup was waiting for Neo to make a move, not wanting to be dodged so easily this time. It was almost as if the AI was learning from its mistakes.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100904

MD: 4 - Miss

Neo:

ENG: 0 (+1 regen; -2 Miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

The fight continued further into the night, with neither side wanting to make the first move. Both were afraid of the other gaining the upper hand by seeing what their opponent was going to do. And because it seemed as though the boar pup was learning from her, Neo needed to act quickly. As a computer opponent, the pup also had far more stamina in this fight than her. If the fight dragged on for too long, she would find herself unable to stand and trampled to death by the boar.

I need to get in and attack the boar, but how will I be able to get a hit in if I can't make my own strike. If only I could still use a sword art, but I doubt the system would let me exert myself while this exhausted. Either way, I can't let this little boar pup outlive me.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100905

BD: 2 - Miss

MD: 1 - Critical miss

Neo:

ENG: 0 (+1 regen; -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

The boar pup, evidently tiring of this waiting game. Decided to charge Neo once again. Caught off guard by the sudden movement after such a long ceasing of charging, Neo found herself hit squarely in the torso. Once again, Neo was glad that this wasn't a full-sized boar that could easily knock her down.

I really need to get better at hitting. I'd try and find a practice dummy to train against, but a still target isn't going to help much to hone my skills of hitting enemies trying to kill me back. I guess that would be the whole reason this quest exists, giving me an excuse to learn to fight against slightly weaker creatures. While the creators of this game may be sadistic, at least they're not completely brutal with it.

Neo had already backed away from the boar, prepared to go on the offensive once more against the little boar pup.

Spoiler

ROll ID: #100906

BD: 2 - Miss

MD: 9 - Minor Critical Hit

Neo:

HP: 54 (-3): 3 base and no critical modifier

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo charged in, wanting to fight on her footing this time. The boar was ready, and though she managed to hit it in the side, the boar had sidestepped and headbutted Neo directly in the side. It should've hurt a lot, but it only tingled a little bit.

I was wondering why I wasn't really feeling any of the pain from this fight. They probably have some sort of pain dampener installed so as to not deter players who actually went into combat right away. They really did everything they could to make sure that as many people as possible were logged in on the first day of release. If their plan wasn't so evil I would commend them for brilliant ideas for the first ever full dive game to exist. This probably could have made them a lot of money. Really makes you wonder why they would squander it all by trapping us in this game instead.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100907

BD: 8 - Hit

MD: 10 - Major Critical Hit

Neo:

HP: 51 (-3): 3 base and no bonus critical damage

ENG: 0 (+1 regen; -1 basic attack)

Boar Pup:

HP: 2 (-3): 3 base

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo breathed deeply, maintaining focus as best as she could as the fight dragged on for what seemed like an eternity. Her patience was wearing thin and it was time that this fight was over. Neo barely let the boar recover from its own attack, thrusting her rapier over to where the boar was. She narrowly clipped the boar with the tip of the blade and heard the pleasant sound of the boar exploding into bits upon its demise. Still tired from the fight, Neo reached for the tusk of the boar only to witness it shattering along with the rest of the little creature. Neo was a little bit disappointed, but certainly not surprised she didn't get another item for her quest.

Well, guess I'll need to fight a couple more than. Maybe I can try to fight multiple at the same time. Certainly it couldn't be too hard, unless these last few have been holding back from me.

Spoiler

Combat:

Roll ID: #100908

HD: 6 - Hit

MD: 1 - Critical Miss

Neo:

ENG: 0 (-1 basic attack; +1 regen)

Boar Pup:

HP: 0 (-3): 3 base

Loot:

Roll ID: #100909

LD: 10 - Unsuccessful (still need 2 boar pup tusks)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo tried looking for another singular boar pup to face, but they seemed to be banding together. Neo begrudgingly made the decision that she would take on two at a time. She found the two and quickly approached them. The one was caught off guard by Neo's rapier and bleed to death before it could finish its first charge against her. The second however was a bit luckier and managed to get a hit in on Neo.

Well, if I'm going to start fighting multiple enemies at once, it's best I actually learn to take them on properly. Need to focus on two at a time. But for now, we'll just say that he got the first move on me.

As she recovered, Neo noticed a tusk on the ground and picked it up. She was getting much closer to completing her goal now and didn't want to forget to grab pieces later on.

Spoiler

Combat:

Roll 1 ID: #100942

BD: 9 - Minor Critical Hit (procs bleed)

MD: 9 (Boar pup #1) - Nullified due to death

Roll 2 ID: #100943

MD: 8 (Boar Pup #2) - Hit

Neo:

HP: 48 (-3): 3 base

ENG: 0 (=1 regen; -1 basic attack)

Boar Pup #1:

HP: 0 (-16): 3 base + 1 crit + 12 bleed

Boar Pup #2:

Damage: 3

Loot:

Roll ID: #100944

LD: 17 - Successfully attained Quest item (2/3 boar pup tusks)

Edited by Neopolitan

As Neo was bent over to grab the tusk from the last boar, she didn't notice it coming in time to dodge it. The creature struck her directly in the calf, knocking her down to the ground once again.

I really need to learn how to hold my footing better, if I get knocked down like this in a fight against an actual challenge I'll be dead in an instant.

Starting to feel a little cocky about the ease that these creatures were going down, Neo tried to get a quick stab in against the boar and missed.

No matter, I just need to land a couple hits and this fight will be over, I just hope that I'll get a tusk from this one as I don't want to fight monsters this easy forever. If I do, I'll just end up becoming complacent and likely leading other people to my same position instead of to the end of this game.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100945

MD: 7 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 45 (-3): 3 base

Edited by Neopolitan

Not relenting in her assault, Neo continued to stab at the boar pup, and soon after got it directly in the eye. The boar let out a high pitched squeal as it dissipated like all the others unable to defeat her.

I am going to do this until I get stronger, only then will I be able to ensure that I can make it to the top of this castle. The top. That is where I must head. That is where we all must end. There is where our freedom lies or else here is where our freedom dies.

Neo looked around to try and find the last tusk that she needed, but her search was in vain. Not waiting to rest, Neo continued her search for boar pups on their own for her to take down as swiftly as possible. The sooner this quest was finished, the sooner Neo could move on to more difficult challenges.

Spoiler

Combat:

Roll ID: #100946

BD: 10 - Major Critical Hit

MD: 7 - Nullified by death

Neo:

ENG: 0 (+1 regen; -1 death)

Boar Pup:

HP: 0 (-5): 3 base + 2 crit

Loot:

Roll ID: #100947

LD: 6 - Unsuccessful (2/3 Boar pup tusks)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo didn't have to take long before she found another boar pup, hopefully her last. She didn't hesitate to strike it this time, even though the boar could plainly see her. Neo thought she would be able to  take out the boar with one hit, and although she managed to hit the boar, she did not take it out. The boar recoiled from the thrust and then quickly charged back into to get a hit on its assailant. Neo wasn't ready for the counterattack and was unable to dodge in time. The boar clipped the side of her torso and caused her to spin for a bit. As soon as she got her ground, Neo prepped to take another lunge at the boar.

I just hope this is my last, I really want to finish this sooner than later or I might fall from exhaustion. And this would be a very bad place to do that in.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101030

BD: 8 - Hit

MD: 7 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 42 (-3): 3 base

Boar Pup:

HP: 2 (-3): 3 base

Edited by Neopolitan

No time to waste, I'll just attack now and get that tusk before it can even disappear. Then I'll finally be able to move on and continue my journey to the top.

Neo lunged at the pup, and landed a hit square between the eyes. she immediately began to reach for the tusk, not wanting it to disintegrate with the rest of the beast. But right in front of her eyes it shattered into thousands of little pixels. A little glum at this point, Neo decided to take a short rest for the night. She headed back to the entrance of the town of beginnings, which wasn't terribly far from where she was, and found a place to sleep just inside of the safe zone. The zone she was to afraid to leave just yesterday. She didn't really care where she had to sleep, as she had been sleeping anywhere flat for two years. She would continue her search in the morning.

Spoiler

Combat:

Roll ID: #101031

BD: 8 - hit

MD: 9 - Nullified due to death

Neo:

Boar Pup:

HP: 0 (-3)

Loot:

Roll ID: #101032

LD:6 - Unsuccessful (2/3 boar pup tusks)

Edited by Neopolitan