[F1 - SP; COMPLETED] The Old Man and the Mute <<The Fourth Lesson, Is Actually Free>>

With her journey already having taken her to a cave, Neo was now tasked to go find an old fisherman by the artisan Hannah. He was supposedly over by a nearby lake on the first floor, but Neo didn't have any idea where that was. She thought about talking to NPCs to get directions, but she doubted that she could actually initialize dialogue with any of them without her talking to them first. Neo decided instead to look around and hope that there was a map somewhere in the town. After a bit of arduous searching, Neo found a crudely drawn map outside of one of the NPC shops. After memorizing the direction she needed to go, Neo began to head out towards the lake where her journey could finally continue. As she was walking away though, she turned back to double check that she was going the right way.

Better not walk off into the distance the wrong way, or else I'm going to get lost soooo fast.

Edited by Neopolitan

It was going to be a pretty long walk to the lake, so Neo made sure that she had everything set once more before heading towards the front gates. As she passed the dejected face of a beggar, she made sure that her consumables were ready to go if needed in an emergency. As she passed an abandoned shop, she checked to make sure her armor was on right. She walked through the central plaza once again, and made sure her weapon was loose in the sheath. She strolled down the main pathway, holding herself up and ready to take on any challenge thrown at her. Even though this quest was likely to be another simple task to show her the ropes of the game, it was a crucial step towards the final step in her path.

The end will come, whether or not I see light at that end is up to me and not others. If I let others do all the work, the world will stay grey, but if I can contribute I'll be able to live peacefully once again in a world of color.

Neo began to walk through the grass of the plains once more.

Who knows if I'll even be back here once I'm done with these quests, it didn't seem like there were that many quests available on this floor. Oh yeah, that means I'll need to figure out how to get to the next floor...

Her thoughts continued like this for some time, ignoring all the beautiful scenery going by. On her left was a group of boar pups, blissfully unaware of the pain she had caused their kin. On her right was a small plant, being nibbled on by a fully grown boar. The grass continued to brush past her legs, remaining unfeeling through Neo's leather armor leggings.

Eventually, a lake came into view, nestled in a small valley in the plains. It wasn't that big, just large enough for a small boat to be on the center of the water. It certainly couldn't be that great of a place to fish in real life. This was a game though, so who knew what physics breaking fish could be hiding in its shallow depths.

Neo began her descent towards the lake, unsure of where the old man would be. The only thing around the edge of the lake was a small wooden pier, barely suitable for a single dinghy. As Neo cam to the shore though, she noticed that there was someone on the boat in the middle of the lake. It looked like they were fishing.

That's probably the old man, I sure hope he sees me. Not like I'm going to try and shout him down. Even if I did choose to speak, I doubt he would hear me. It seems like that boat is a ways out.

The lake was certainly seemed much larger while at its shore than while looking at it from above, but it was still the small little lake that it was when Neo first laid eyes on it. Neo saw the person's head turn, and tried to wave it down.

Whoever was in the boat must have noticed, as they waved back at Neo. They reeled in what looked like a fishing rod and let out some oars. As they began to row to shore, Neo walked around to where the little dock was. Though it wasn't much, it was certainly made from a nice sturdy wood. The person, who Neo could clearly tell was an older man now, rowed into the dock with a smile on their face. Though he was old, he still looked like he was full of energy and very active.

"Why hello there young lady, and what would you be doing here?"

Neo offered the old man the package, once again waiting for dialogue to proceed without a verbal prompt. Though it was understandable why Neo had to repeatedly do this, it was still starting to get quite frustrating having to wait a couple of minutes simply to continue the dialogue.

Who would've thought I would've missed having a silent protagonist in a game?

"Ah, this must be the package from the beautiful Hannah. She is always so kind to me, you know. She's even the reason I got out of the house after my wife died. Such a tragic day, when she died." The old man's eyes trailed into the distance, losing that happy sparkle in them. He shook his head and continued. "I shouldn't trouble you with that, what really matters is what is in this package." He tears into the package, revealing a brand new fishing rod. "A yes, this will be an excellent rod. Say, have you ever fished before? It can honestly be quite relaxing. Though I've got to warn ya, there's been a monster lurking these depths recently. If you're up to the challenge I would love if you could lend a hand and reel him in." Neo stood there, nodding her head in acknowledgement and agreement but knowing that she couldn't do anything but wait for the dialogue to continue.

The man's face lit up, "Thank you so much for helping me, if you'll just hop on my boat we can be on our way." The man offers his old rod to Neo, "You can use my old one, I have no need for it now and it would be much more useful for you than sitting and gathering dust." Neo takes the fishing rod as the man dips the oars into the water and begins to row out to the center of the lake.

"Been a real hard time fishing with this monster in the water. It scares all the smaller fish away and eats the slightly larger ones. All that's left is that one fish, and I can't reel it in for fear of it impaling me. With you and that weapon though, I bet that the fish won't stand a chance. We'll fill this lake with little fish once again, though hopefully it's not the last thing I do."

The boat was beginning to reach the center and Neo was unsure about how well she would be able to fight while on a boat against an enemy in its natural territory.

Maybe I can try to get it stuck on the boat. I doubt it would stay on for long, butit should be enough time to get a stab or two in. Of course, it will be flailing while it tries to get back into the water. That might make it very hard to take on. Depending on the type of fish it is, I might be able to stab it while it's flying at me. With that comes the risk of getting hit myself, but the best chance of landing a critical blow. Maybe I can duck under and gut the fish... No, I would need a slashing weapon for that and a rapier isn't cut out for it. Gah, I just hope this fish isn't too hard, or I'm going to be toast.

"We're at the center now. This is where the fish typically lurks around."

Hear as "where it spawns"

"You can bait your hook with just about anything and the fish will hang around. The real trick is getting that monster to actually come to the surface. I found out hat if you slowly bring the hook back up, that tends to bring it closer. It might take a few tries, but the fish should eventually get to the point that you can agitate it and get it to attack. I'll keep the boat as steady as I can, but you'll still need to be careful that we don't capsize."

Neo grabbed her newly acquired fishing rod and made sure it had some string and bait on it. She gave the man another glance to make sure they were going through with this. When the man gestured to go on ahead, Neo brought her arm back and prepared to cast.

Edited by Neopolitan
Spoiler

Neo:

Bloodedge: Rapier (+1 damage, 1 slot bleed)

Studded Leather Armor: +9 MIT

Gold Ring: +1 ACC

HP: 120

ENG: 12

Sword Fish:

HP: 35
    Dmg: 50 (on first successful hit only)/ 5(Does not gain bonus damage from crits)

WHIZZZZZZZZZZ

The line zipped out of the spool and flew out of the boat. The hook gave a slight splash as it hit the water, and began to sink into the lake. It certainly was a lot deeper than Neo had given it credit for. It appeared to go down quite a ways, but it was so dark that Neo couldn't properly tell how deep it was. It certainly didn't seem like the kind of lake that would have a giant fish in it, but nonetheless she was here. Neo looked down to where her line had dropped and saw a giant dark mass circling below, it must have been the fish. Neo saw its circles get tighter around her line.

I guess that means it's about time to reel it in.

Neo slowly brought up the line, and the fish began to become clearer. It was a swordfish, with a giant, pointed nose. While it was no monster, it certainly wouldn't be the most friendly of creatures if provoked.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101517

CD: 6 (Success, encounter with fish initiated)

Edited by Neopolitan

The beast was beginning to grow quite close, but it didn't seem to want to leave the water. Not wanting to have to wait much longer, Neo decided to try and get a first strike in. She had no idea if her sword art had any range, but at the very least she could try and agitate the water enough to aggro the fish. She let the energy flow through her and out the tip of her blade. She felt the boat rock, but it didn't do much of anything. The fish did seem to take notice though, as it began to swim faster than before.

"You seem to have got its attention, " the old man remarked, ""Hand me your rod, I doubt you can fight that beast effectively while still trying to get another fish."

Neo passed the old man her fishing rod and got a steady footing standing in the boat, she was going to have an interesting fight ahead of her.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101518

BD: 4 + 1 acc  = 5 miss

MD: 3 - Miss

Neo:

ENG: 10 (-2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

As the fish continued to circle, Neo tried to get its attention once again with another sword art. She let loose with a v-pattern, but once again only succeeded in shaking the boat a little bit with the waves that she created. The swordfish was definitely fixated on the boat now though.

It probably sees us as a threat now, one it has to deal with before it can move on to tastier prey. I'm just wondering why it hasn't attacked yet. Maybe its waiting for me to tire myself out, or perhaps its my sword arts that are keeping it suppressed underwater. No matter what, this stalemate is going to have to end eventually, I just hope that I can be the one who ends up on top. Because even though this old man is just an NPC, he's lifelike enough that I don't want him to die without me giving it my all.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101519

BD: 3 + 1 = 4 - miss

MD: 1 - critical miss

Neo:

ENG: 9 (+1 regen; -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

The fish's circling came to a terminal speed, and it leaped out of the water and straight at Neo. Caught off guards, Neo wasn't in any sort of blocking position. The best she could do was to try and retaliate with another sword art. As the energy charged up within in her, she suddenly felt a dull tingling sensation in her chest. The swordfish had speared her. Gasping for breath, the sword art unleashed. Though it had gone wild the fish was still close enough that it hit, cutting off the part of its nose that had embedded itself into Neo. The fish fell back into the water and continued its circling, prepping for another attack. As it did, Neo pulled out the part stuck inside her, thankful for the pain suppression system put in place.

At the very least I don't have to worry about it spearing me again, not without a lot of difficulty that is.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101520

BD: 7 + 1 = 8 - hit

MD: 8 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 70 (-50 HP)

ENG: 8 (+1 regen; -2 sword art)

Swordfish:

HP: 29 (-6): 3 base * 2 sword art

Damage: 5 (does not benefit from critical hits)

Edited by Neopolitan

Once again, the swordfish began to pick up speed. Its turn radius increased slightly and it once again jumped out of the water. This time, Neo was ready. She tried to go to the side and unleash a sword art while the fish passed her. Sadly, she couldn't sidestep that much in the boat, and the fish clipped her in the shoulder. This wasn't before she was able to hit it right back with a sword art. The fish hit the water with a loud splash, landing on its flat side rather than going in nose first. The boat rocked quite a bit, but the old man kept to his word and made sure that it didn't capsize.

At least I don't have to fight it in the water, not that waiting for it to jump up at me is much of a better alternative. It appears to be quite wounded, but it will probably still be able to fight for quite some time.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101521

BD: 6 + 1 = 7 - Hit

MD: 6 - hit

Neo:

HP: 65 (-5)

ENG: 7 (+1 regen; -2 sword art)

Swordfish:

HP: 23 (-6): 3 base * 2 sword art

Edited by Neopolitan

The fish definitely attacked with a pattern. It kept circling around, then speeding up and turning out so it could jump out at Neo once again. As it tried for a third time, Neo decided to go against the swordfish head on. She hoped to finish it off with this next hit, but was unsure as to how close it was to dying. As the fish came hurling towards her, Neo let the game's energy flow through her. She was guided by the program and let out two quick strikes with her rapier. She heard the fish let out a squeal and was then knocked flat by it as it kept coming towards her. She fell into the boat, rocking it heavily and causing it to take on some water. The old man had a face of concentration, making sure that she could keep fighting without worrying to much about the surface she was fighting on.

Spoiler

roll ID: #101522

BD: 8 + 1 = 9 - Hit

MD: 10 - Major Critical Hit

Neo:

HP: 60 (-5, doesn't benefit from crits)

ENG: 6 (+1 regen; -2 sword art)

Swordfish:

HP: 17 (-6): 3 base * 2 sword art

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo was ready for another leaping attack by the swordfish. It had other plans this time though. It started out in its same pattern, speeding up its circling and taking a wider turn in preparation for a leap. The first red flag was that it was attacking the boat lengthwise instead of broadside. Neo was unsure how to react to this, but took up as best of a blocking stance as she could to keep the fish off of the old man. As the fish got closer, she noticed that it wasn't leaping. It instead swam underneath the boat and hit it from below, causing Neo to lose her balance and whack her head on the wooden side. The old man once again kept the boat upright, which was a miracle in and of itself, but Neo had a little trouble getting back up.

I'll need to watch for that, not that I can do much about it.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101523

BD: 1 - critical miss

MD: 6 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 55 (-5)

ENG: 5 (+1 regen; -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo tried to get her bearings, and was only partially successful. Still a bit dizzy, she saw that the fish was already towards the attacking part of its pattern. It was going lengthwise again, meaning it would stay underneath the boat.

Oh no you don't, not this time.

Neo tried to unleash a sword art onto the fish to interrupt its charge at the boat. Sadly, she didn't place it correctly and it splashed down behind the finish, emboldening it to go a little faster. Once again it hit the boat and Neo lost her balance. She did so with a little bit more grace, and with some help from the old man who was getting better and better at keeping the boat stable.

I don't know if these silver linings are for the better or for the worse. I just hope that I'll be able to get a hit in on it again, if it keeps up with this I may not be able to win unless I jump in the water. That would be asking for death.

Spoiler

ROll ID: #101524

BD: 4 + 1 = 5 - Miss

MD: 7 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 50 (-5)

ENG: 4 (+1 regen; -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

The fish was circling around again for another under the boat hit, and Neo tried in vain to get a sword art to stop him. She was regretting not readying her consumables, as her health bar was starting to get uncomfortably low. She didn't dare look at the numbers, but noticed it take another steep dive as she once again took a tumble at the impact of the boat. She felt herself starting to get exhausted from using so many sword arts, and was wondering whether or not she'd make it out of here alive.

Its not like I can exactly run away while in the middle of a lake. Even if we row as fast as we can, that fish will easily out race us and it could take us both out before we reached the shore. If only there was a way to bait it to come back to leaping above water, then I could almost certainly hit it with a good attack. I think that may be my only hope at this point.

Spoiler

roll iD: #101525

BD: 3 + 1: 4 - miss

MD: 8 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 45 (-5)

ENG: 3 (+1 regen; -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

The swordfish didn't appear to be stopping its tactic of bumping the boat until they were both knocked unconscious. Neo tried once again to stop the fish with a sword art. She waited until the very last moment, making sure the fish wouldn't be able to dodge out of the way without giving up its attack and aimed straight in front of it. The strike connected and the fish turned around to escape. Not before its tail hit the side of the boat Neo was on and made her hit her head on the wooden siding once more.

At least I managed to deter it. I just hope that was enough to get it to abandon this tactic and either move to a new one or go back to leaping. At least leaping was working out better for both of us, and would make the loser go out in a bit more style.

Neo was standing there glad that the fountain of life didn't show how she died, so at least she could be killed by something better than a boar pup.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101526

BD: 8 + 1 = 9 - Hit

MD: 7 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 40 (-5)

ENG: 2 (+1 regen; -2 sword art)

Swordfish:

HP: 11 (-6): 3 base * 2 sword art

Edited by Neopolitan

The fish was picking up a lot of speed this time, even more than when it first attacked Neo. It was preparing for something big.

I don't think I can mess this one up if I want to get out of here alive.

The beast took a wider turn, and came at the boat broadside. Neo prepped for another leaping attack.

Even if it goes under, I can take that unprepared and be okay, I need to make sure I'm prepared for the more deadly option.

Sure enough, the Swordfish jumped out of the water and straight at Neo's head. As a gut reflex, Neo ducked down and unleashed her sword art in a general upward direction. She heard a whoosh of air as the swordfish past her, then the shattering sound of its defeat.

"That was certainly crazy now wasn't it? Thank you for your help, hope you do well in your future adventures." The old man began to row the pair back to the pier.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101527

BD: 10 - Major Critical Hit

MD: 6 - Hit Nullified due to death

Neo:

ENG: 1 (+1 regen: -2 sword art)

Swordfish:

HP: 0 (-22): ((3 base  + 2 crit)* 2 sword art) + 12 bleed

Edited by Neopolitan