[F1-PP] The First Few Steps Are Necessary <<TFFLaF>>

The sun rose above the horizon and its rays pierced the thin curtains before landing on Kataware’s face. It would be a few minutes before she would stir from her sleep and wake up inside the plain room. She sat up and removed the thin sheets that protected her from the chilly wind that came through the window she insisted to keep open while she slept. After rubbing the sleep away from her eyes, she checked her game stats and had a small twinge of disappointment in herself as she saw her level.

Kataware had made zero progress since this death game had started two years ago. She understood that many people were doing their best to clear the floors as quickly as they can, but after two years, the best that the players could claim was reaching the 23rd Floor.  Kataware climbed out of bed while checking her inventory, swiping across - and pressing buttons on - the game’s menu. Nothing except the Tank Starting Package that Cardinal started handing out to players that were still at Level 1 a bit ago. She equipped the few things that she had, putting her small dagger in a leather sheath strapped to her waist and donned her breastplate before exiting the inn.

Kataware walked through the streets with an importance in her step. Before she knew it, since she was occupied with finding out as much information as she could about this virtual world (which, sadly, didn't amount to much), certain players had already set out and started their trailblazing by beating the Floor Bosses. To Kataware, it seemed impossible to catch up to those players (who were getting increasingly glorified by the storytellers visiting the taverns and pubs). However, Cardinal had decided to bestow a gift to the lower-leveled players. Rumors had it that Cardinal had created a questline to give newer players the chance to get their feet wet, and Kataware planned to seize that opportunity.

She stopped in front of the shop that she heard was the beginning of this quest line. Above the door was a wooden sign hanging from a metal bar that stuck out of the building, but the words on it were too faded to read. Guess this is where everything else will start.

@Rav

Räv had been awake for a while. He tended to get up before the sun did. He had just finished his morning routine and walked out of the café he often ate at. He was sure it was time to find a way to level up. He had heard rumors about a quest line designed specifically for low level players, he assumed that it would be the best thing for him to start with. Räv tightened his tie and pushed his glasses up his nose so that they wouldn’t fall off. The cool breeze was ruffling his hair. He straightened himself up to ensure he had good posture and made his way to the small shop where the quest was rumored to start. While he walked he equipped his <<Crystal>>. A small clear crystalline vanity dagger that emitted a slight glow when equipped. Approaching the small shop he took inventory of the sign and the appearance of the shop. He also noticed a woman standing in front of the shop as well, seemed she was probably on the same mission he was.
Räv approached the woman and tapped her on the shoulder. “Excuse me, miss, but do you happen to be a low level player looking to start the beginner quests? If so, would you mind if I was to join you? I happen to be low level as well and wanted to start making my way up the ranks.” He paused before giving her a bow in greeting. “My name is Räv, it’s a pleasure to meet you and I’m sorry if I have inconvenienced you in any way.

Kataware took her eyes off of the shop’s sign to turn around and find the source of the tap on her shoulders. When she did, Kataware found herself staring at someone’s suit and tie. She looked upwards to find a man with brown hair and glasses inquiring whether this was the start of the beginner quests while being quite polite with his manners, even bowing after introducing himself. “My name’s Kataware. From what I’ve heard, this is the start. I don't mind you joining me, just give me one second.” Kataware swiped across the game menu, looking for the friend request and party invite functions. “And… finished.”

<<Kataware has sent a friend request.>>

<<Kataware has sent a party invite. Current members: Kataware. Current party size: 1/4.>>

“Friend request so I can contact you later on if need be. Party invite so we can get started on this questline,” Kataware informed Arab as she walked to the shop’s entrance and opened the door, to be met with a puff of purple smoke. She started coughing, waving her hand in front of her to try to dispel the smoke. Inside the shop, a voice called out to the pair. 

“Come in, come in,” Zakariah said while waving them over. The old man then continue to work with some beakers and vials of various liquids. His hair was growing gray with age (although due to his nature as an NPC, probably looks no different than when he was first created) and his hands showing the test of time as they were incredibly thin. “I am terribly sorry for the mess here, but you’ll have to excuse me. A ton of orders to make, a ton of people to help. Do you have any business here or are you just here to browse?”

Kataware followed the voice to the inside. On the sides, there were shelves and displays of a multitude of different salves, potions, and crystals alongside the tools that were used to create them. However, the counter that Zakariah stood behind was entirely made of glass with the most colorful display of his stock. Kataware couldn't help but feel a bit in awe until she remembered that Rav and her were planning to go take this questline. “Yes, actually we do have some business here's. I was wondering if you could help us out. We are inexperienced with how this game works.”

“Of course I can help you! The first thing you guys can do for me is both of you to accept that thing that just popped up in front of you by pressing the corresponding button.” On cue, a notification popped up in front of Kataware, asking if she would accept this quest simply titled, <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>. She accepted it almost as soon as it popped up. “This will start the questline. Afterwards, simply get 5 Tier One materials for each of you and then come back here. I’ll give you more objectives once you get back.”

“Well Rav, know any places where we can go get these materials?” Kataware turned to her tall comrade.

Räv promptly accepted the friend request and party invite that had been sent to him. He followed behind Kataware as she walked in, sighing as he saw the smoke. “I really hope none of this is dye, I don’t want to have to purchase a new suit.” He muttered to himself before taking a deep breath and walked in, the smoke was thicker than pea soup. And he really didn’t want to breath in too much. After all he didn’t know what the chemicals were that made the fog or what they did in game. 
Räv took a minute to look around the shop as Kataware spoke to the shopkeeper. The shop really was a mess, it seemed as though this man hadn’t had a moment to clean in years. Perhaps that was the honest case, though Räv assumed it was programmed to be this way. He approached the counter toward the end of the conversation between the shopkeeper and Kataware. Crackling could be hear in the distance behind the man, likely stemming from whatever it was that causes the smoke on the other side of the wall. Räv could see the smoke pooling out of the archway in the wall behind the man. 
Once Kataware accepted the quest Räv followed her outside. “I actually do know a place nearby that we could go searching. It’s a small patch of land north of the Town of Beginnings that is open grass surrounded by trees. Follow me, I’ll show you.” He said before sighing. “If we are leaving the limits of the safe zone I should probably better equip myself.” He opened his inventory as he began walking, equipping <<The Fortress>> and raising the visor so his face could still be easily seen.
@Kataware

Edited by Rav

“Rav, you are quite the one for theatrics. A suit and tie, a crystal dagger, and now that suit of yours.” Kataware said as she tapped Rav’s armor. “Not that I’m complaining. Just an observation.” Kataware played around with her breastplate, only slightly adjusting it to make it marginally more comfortable, and her knife, making sure she would be able to pull it out at a moment’s notice if it came down to it. Her breastplate was still a bit dusty since it hasn't been used for a while, and her dagger seemed nothing more than the a normal 9-inch blade. Ultimately, her end goal was to get a shield so she could get up close to her enemies and then hit whatever vital points she could. Can't be getting ahead of myself. First things first, let’s finish this questline. Afterwards, whatever the best course of action will lead me to. “Rav, lead the way.”

Räv chuckled as the girl tapped his armour and commented on how he dressed, “I wouldn’t call it theatrical, I just like to look nice. They say dressing up in nice clothing can help boost your confidence. Plus, I come from a background where if I’m not in uniform I have to be in a suit. In fact I have a shield being made by Macradon that should bring my combat gear to culminated.”
The sun was high in the sky at this point, the two had just left the Town of Beginnings, it would not be long before they arrived where they were going to start looking. “So what have you been up to sense you joined the game. I personally have been doing my normal physical training regiment, though that hasn’t done much for me in terms of strength.” Räv chuckled. 
The two reached the spot and Räv began looking for materials. He found a small hole in the ground and thought it would be as good of a place to start looking as ever. "So, what exactly are we looking for? Just potion ingredients? Or is there something more specific?" Räv pulled out a handful of small snake eggs. This has got to be something useful right? He though to himself as he put them in a small poutch.

ID# 102166

Loot: 12 (+1 T1 Mat)

[ @Kataware 0/5 Mats collected]

[ Räv 1/5 Mats collected]

Edited by Rav

“Well, habits die hard, good or bad. I can’t even imagine myself wearing anything more formal than a nice blouse and some pants unless there’s some kind of special occassion going on.” Kataware looked towards the sky, remembering the life she had unwillingly left behind. She had no doubt that her family has stuck by her this entire time, simply waiting for the moment that she exits this Virtual World. “Especially since they were more affordable.” Now that Kataware thought about it, what kind of background would require someone to wear a suit when they’re not in a uniform? Either he was rich, or he was some kind of important person. Not like it matters here anyways. We’re all trapped here without any connection to the outside world so as far as Cardinal and any other player is concerned, someone who’s riich in the real world is also on the same level as a homeless person in the real world. “So you had to wear two uniforms? A suit and something else?”

Once Kataware got past the gate, Rav started asking about what she’s been doing in the spare time of being trapped in this game. Rav told her that he was doing a physical training regiment, which Kataware expected was just to stay in the habit of performing it rather than actually exercising. “As I’ve said, habits.” Kataware unsheathed her dagger and flipped it in the air before trying to catch it with her sheathe. She fumbled it and had to pick her dagger off of the ground. “Obviously not getting used to the dagger. For the past... 2 years, I was just listening to people who knew something about this game, either for information or any stories.”

Eventually, the two of them reached the spot and Rav put his hand into a hole in the ground, asking what they were looking for and pulling out some snake eggs. “Something like that helps of course. I’ve heard tons of things. Sometimes, they’re not even tangible based off of what I’ve heard about a certain Performer. However, that’ll do.” Kataware looked around for something as well. Anything that seemed like Zakariah could use in order to progress with this quest. “And so will this,” Kataware said as she rushed over to the edge of the treeline and collected some dripping sap.

ID: 102166 || LD: 14

[Kataware: 1/5 Mats collected]

[Räv: 1/5 Mats collected]

<<+1 Tier One Material.>>

Edited by Kataware
Post Completion: Rolled and Formatted