[PP - F01] Harvesting the <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>> (with Zuel)

I'm sick of sitting and waiting for something to happen. Rithe shifted in her bed at an inconspicuous inn at the Town of Beginnings. Everything here is safe, which is a nice touch, but it is still doesn't allow me to progress if I just stay and rest. Rithe detached herself from the comfort of the bed and began making arrangements for the rest of her day. I should check the noticeboard, to try and see if there's a really easy quest that I can do alone. And if not... Rithe racked her brain for something productive to do. Maybe I'll get a job. Alchemy sounds really appealing to me for some reason. I guess I'll figure it out as I go along. 

Rithe exits her room, and departed for the 'town square' of the Starting City. She opens her menu as she walks, perusing her statistics. Level One. Everyone had to start somewhere. She bumps into someone while she's distracted by her menu, startling herself. "Sorry!" She didn't get much of an impression from the stranger as she closed her menu and hastily scurried off, continuing to look for the Noticeboard. What?! I was just reading it the other day!? Where is it? Rithe squirms awkwardly as she tries to find where she should be going. 

Ah, there it is. Rithe finally spots it, the small crowd of people surrounding it helping her search. Rithe peers into the crowd, trying to see something, anything. Secret Medicine of the Forest. It sounds like a peaceful name but it says right there that there are monsters to deal with. Rithe shudders. Can I handle monsters? I'm not sure I want to find out. She begins to back away from the noticeboard, and backs up straight into someone. Looking up, she finds that it is the same person from earlier. Her face gets hot with embarrassment, as she apologizes profusely.  "I'm so sorry! I-" Then she fully absorbs who she's looking at.

Whoa! His armor, his sword! This guy must be super-high level! I wonder if I can get him to help me... Rithe glances at his face and is pierced by his intimidating eyes. She takes a step back, her determination wavering. Maybe, I should just apologize some more and then leave. I'm being far too troublesome aren't I. Almost subconsciously, she murmurs "Can you help me please..?" Realizing what she's said, her face begins glowing red with awkward embarrassment. This isn't going too well. I'm making a fool of myself...

Edited by Rithe
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having already dealt with most of the beginner quest Zuel thought it might be a good idea to find a quest where he can test out his new sword skills. Up until this point he had only been relying on his basic attacks and wanted to find something a bit more challenging. Having some decent equipment for the early levels he felt he was prepared to take on more difficult quests. Zuel began to search through the manual and noticed an interesting guide about field bosses that would spawn after defeating a certain amount of enemies on any given floor. There was even a quest tied to it as well that can be taken from the noticeboard. While he was reading he happened to bump into a girl that was also lost in her menu that would rush off after apologizing before he can say anything to her. After making it to the center of the town he saw the noticeboard surrounded by a crowd of players accepting and completing quest and approached. There on the board he would see the quest he was looking for <<Secret Medicine Of The Forest>>.

He began to review the details of the quest, but was interrupted by the same girl as before once again as she backed up into him. He would look down at her as he paused for a moment not sure what she was thinking and why she had the flustered look on her face. Ready to shrug it off and focus back on reviewing the quest details she spoke to him asking for help. Zuel would look back at her curiously leaning a bit forward to get closer to her. He was a bit surprised that someone would approach him asking for help. Maybe it was because he was older than most of the other players he thought. Not entirely sure he began to inspect her a bit and could tell that she was probably level 1. "What can I help you with?" His voice was a little deep but not in a frightening way. He noticed her face was a bit red, wondering if she was sick or something. 

Rithe was still engaged in mental conflict over her outburst, and didn't respond immediately. Why did I do that?! This guy is definitely on his way to slay dragons or something incredible. I must be like a flea in his eyes. Hopefully he doesn't take offense. It's far too early to have enemies. She takes a deep breath and looks Zuel in the eyes, managing to stammer out "W-with a quest. Secret Medicine of the Forest." Rithe takes another breath, the blush finally fading from her face as she becomes more confident in her conversation. "I thought that it looked like a fast way to get stronger, so I was interested." I'm probably just getting in this adventurer's way. "I'm sorry. I just... I know this kind of came out of nowhere, so don't worry about it if you need to do something else." Rithe bows her head very slightly in respect and awaits a response, instinctively bracing for rejection.

Zuel would continue to watch the flustered girl as he waited for a response. He thought this might be a good opportunity to possibly learn about partying in SAO and didn't want to reject her request just because he wanted to try a more difficult quest. Finally the girl would speak to him as Zuel would become a bit surprise by fact she was trying to complete the same quest that he was just ready to take. "Secret Medicine of the Forest?" He would take step closer to her to inspect her further to get a better sense of her gear. "Thats quite the coincidence. That is the exact same quest that I came here to accept." Zuel would think to himself for a bit about the pros and cons of accepting her request. Regardless of her level having an extra person would make the quest much easier and the quest wasn't to difficult to begin with so it makes the most sense to party with her. He would focus his gaze back to her. "Alright then. I will help you" He would extend his hand out to her. "My name is Zuel it is a pleasure to meet you." Just as he introduced himself a confirmation window would appear before her to accept his invitation to join his party.

A long sigh of relief. An almost uncomfortably long sigh. Rithe smiles gently as the tension is lifted. "Really? Thank you so much!" Awkwardly accepting the handshake and the party invite, she seems to visibly un-tense, "I'm Rithe, and uhm, likewise." Rithe begins thinking about the best way to approach this quest when, she's interrupted by a thought. "Should I lead? Would you like to lead? You seem like you have it all together." Rithe fidgets and examines the details of the quest on the noticeboard. It seems like fighting is inevitable. A little surge of nervousness flows through Rithe. "It seems like we have to fight some 'plant monsters. If you think you can take them out, I can heal you." Rithe offers. I just hope I can keep up with all the action. "Just uh... don't leave me behind." she says, chuckling self-consciously. I'm scared. I don't want to admit it, but it's true. I've never fought anything before and I'm terrified that it won't end well. This man seems plenty strong, but still.

Edited by Rithe

Zuel would give her a light smile in return before listen to her as he was quite interested in the idea of her healing him. Zuel would not be able to see he stats since she joined his party seeing that as he predicted she was just level one. Now that they were in a party there was a bit more elements to consider that he had not had to deal with before. He would nod in agreement  "I think it would work best if you let me deal with the enemies as I build some hate on them and you support me from behind, dealing damage when necessary." He would walk over to the board to inspect the quest a bit more. "Since there is two of us now we have to defeat twice the amount of Nepents in order to summon the Nepent Variant." He would bring up his character stats to inspect himself. "Since I only have 12 EN it would be best for us to save our sword skills for the boss to take it down through its MIT." Since Zuel was the party leader once he would accept the quest from the noticeboard a message would automatically be sent to Rithe to inform her that the quest was accept. "Alright lets head to the wooded area and start the quest." Zuel would begin to walk toward the direction of the gate that would lead them closest to their destination, wanting her to follow. 

Things seemed to be going smoothly, it appeared to Rithe as though Zuel was going to take the lead. Another burden lifted. She found her stress melting away until only her fear was left. But with the two of us, it's almost like we form a functional party. If we stick to a strategy, we should be fine. And as if reading her thoughts, Zuel devises just such a plan. "Yes, please do. I'm not sure how damaging I can be." Rithe messes with her hair thoughtfully, and listens to Zuel's next comment, nodding approval, but having her thoughts interrupted when he mentions 'Sword Arts'. "I, don't actually have access to any sword arts. Sorry.." She says apologetically, while also noticing the accepted-quest notification. Well here we go. Now or never. "Yes, let's go." Rithe says, dutifully following Zuel out of the Starting City. 

The scene opens on a forested area as the party arrives in the general vicinity of the quest. Rithe is very skittish, and is startled when she bumps into a branch. When is it going to happen? Is it going to hurt? 

Zuel continue to lead them to the area where the Nepents are supposed to spawn. The wooded area was dark where you would be able to see anything if it wasn't for the light breaking through the leaves of the trees in the vicinity. Zuel would look over his shoulder every now and again at Rithe. "You know you don't have to walk behind me the whole time." Wondering if maybe she was afraid of him or something. It was obvious to him that she hadn't fought before, however he was confident enough in his skills to protect her. They had left at a good time for it wouldn't get dark for quite some time leaving them enough time to complete the quest in time. Up ahead there was a clearing that opened to a large open area surrounded by woods. "This must be the place." As soon as Zuel would set foot in the area a Nepent would spawn, however it was not quite hostile yet, giving them time to get into position. He would look over his shoulder at her. "Ready?"

Rithe kept close behind Zuel, her head on a swivel, anxiously peering at every possible ambush spot. Startled by Zuel talking to her, Rithe manages to mumble "I've just never really...fought anything before." Confirming Zuel's suspicions about her combat experience. The morning light radiated beautifully through the thin veil of the trees, giving Rithe a false sense of safety. Her fear rises to a crescendo as the team of two arrives at the conflict zone. I'm not sure I can do this. This was a mistake. Why did I think this was good idea. "It certainly looks like the place..." Heartbeat accelerating, Rithe continues walking forward. She starts to say something, but is cut off by Zuel's question. "I guess this is the moment of truth. If I'm not ready now, I'll never be. Let's take them out.." she says, trying to put on a brave facade. The party progresses forward, and as soon as they were both fully in the clearing, just as Zuel predicted, a nepent makes itself visible. It begins crawling its way towards the group on many, many, winding roots. And its mouth... Rithe tries not to vomit. What the h*** is that?! 

(Loot roll of 1-10 attacks Rithe first, loot roll of 11-20 attacks Zuel first)

<<COMBAT START>>

Rithe takes no action.

Nepent #1: ID# 103990 results: Loot: 9(targets Rithe) MOB: 4(misses)

Nepent #2: ID# 103992 results: Loot: 19(targets Zuel) MOB: 6(hits dealing 3 raw damage)

Spoiler

Rithe: 20/20 HP 2/2 EN 

Zuel: 119/120 HP 12/12 EN

Nepent #1: 7/7 HP (3 damage on a hit)(Targeting Rithe)

Nepent #2: 7/7 HP (3 damage on a hit)(Targeting Zuel)

As Zuel and Rithe enter further into the open area 2 Nepents would spawn as Zuel approached, two more would spawn when Rithe got closer as well. Zuel would get in front of her as the two initial Nepents would engage the two right away. Nepents #1 would extend its vine, rapidly flailing around aiming for Rithe but her safe distance made it so the vine couldn't reach her completely and miss, Zuel would quickly jump forward drawing the attention of the Nepent #2 as it would whip its vine at him immediately as he did. Zuel would try to dodge the attack but would get clipped by the sharp leaf attached to the vine doing minimal damage to him. Now in position of all Four Nepent Zuel was prepared to test out his area of effect sword skill which attacks all enemies around him and not giving the chance for the other two Nepent to attack. Zuel would hold his blade behind him as it began to glow to activate the sword skill, "Vertical Square."  Just as the his sword would glow its brightest Zuel would launch the attack. Four strikes are made in the air in the shape of a square, and then a square of energy bursts around Zuel hitting all four Nepent in the vicinity. Zuel positioning made it impossible for any of the Nepent to dodge the attack instantly killing all them causing them to glow white before shattering into white sparkles and disappearing. Hitting every target completely drained Zuel of his energy knowing that with that Nepent Variant would spawn immediately after. Zuel quickly rushed to Rithe taking her hand and pulling her behind a tree to regroup before it could spot them. 

Spoiler

ID: 103994

BD: 8 + 1 = 9 (Hit)

MOB: 4 (Miss) (targeting Zuel)

Rithe: 20/20 HP 2/2 EN 

Zuel: 119/120 HP 0/12 EN (-4 EN) (- 8 EN)

Vertical Square (5 base) x 4 = 20

Nepent #1: 0/7 HP  (-20)

Nepent #2: 0/7 HP  (-20)

Nepent #3: 0/7 HP (-20)

Nepent #4: 0/7 HP (-20)

Edited by Zuel

(!!! Attacked by an entity with murderous intent for the first time: -12% mental stability !!!)

Embarrassing as it is, Rithe had to admit: she screamed when the Nepent lashed at her, luckily she was far enough to be out of effective range. 

WhatwasthatthingthatcameandtriedtograbmeorcutmeitlookedatmeanditwashungryhelpmepleaseIdon'twanttolookatitanymore. 

She was in what used to be called shell-shock for the duration of the battle, dimly aware of the ensuing fight. Zuel leaping into action and getting lashed by a nepent, gave her the clarity she needed. Is he okay? That looked like it hurt! Expressing genuine worry, Rithe went to reach for Zuel, but he quite literally leapt into the fray. And proceeded to be the epicenter of a supernova of bladed radiance, obliterating all the enemies at once. Rithe looked up at this spectacle: Zuel falling back to the earth with a cascade of prismatic shards fluttering down around him. The next thing she was aware of was being pulled quickly to the side and hidden behind a tree. "Did  you just... That was amazing!" Rithe commented wearily. "Your injury! Let me see it." Rithe very delicately takes his arm and places her palms gently on top of the glowing red scrape. As her hands begin to glow a calming white, she looks at Zuel with concern. 

Rithe uses First Aid on Zuel.

Spoiler

Zuel: 120/120 HP 0/12 EN (Healed for 1 HP!)

Nepent Variant: 15/15 HP (5 MIT)(10 base damage)(Ignores MIT on a natural MD roll of 10)

Rithe is distracted by something and looks back into the clearing. Her face pales instantly. "T-there's another o-one." she says pointing with a shaking hand.

Nepent Variant: ID# 103995 results: MOB: 1(critical miss)

Edited by Rithe
mob roll

Zuel would be panting lightly as his energy returned to him slowly after waiting a bit behind the tree. Before he knew it Rithe would take hold of his arm, as her palm began to glow completely healing the scrape. He looked at her and noticed the worry look on her as she healed him not sure why. He would instinctively reach out his hand and pat her on the head to calm her down a bit. "Thank you, but you don't have to look so worry Rithe. It didn't deal that much damage to me." He manage to muster a light smile before she began to point back into the open part of the wooded area. The Nepent Variant had spawned from the defeat of the lesser ones. They had to attempt to kill it if they wanted a Chance at the quest item from it. "I am going to go in first again and draw its attention. I'm counting on you to support me while I try to take it out." After looking to her for conformation he would charge in once again as the Nepent Variant would set its attention to Zuel. He would get in range of the Variant as he attempt to attack it head on with his sword. As he drew closer the Variant would retaliate immediately by launching an attack of its out sending his vines out to hit Zuel. He would dodge out of the way causing its attack to completely miss him as he would swing to try to clip the Variant's vine as it retracted them but he would miss. He would jump back to reposition himself to rethink his next corse of action.

Zuel: ID#103994 Results: BD: 2 + 1 = 3 (miss)

Spoiler

Zuel: 120/120 HP 0/12 EN (+1 EN)(-2 EN)

Nepent Variant: 15/15 HP (5 MIT)(10 base damage)(Ignores MIT on a natural MD roll of 10)

(!!! First time ever receiving a comforting headpat: +5% mental stability !!!)

I've never really used this skill before... I hope that it can- Her thoughts are interrupted by a headpat. Startled, Rithe tries stammering out words, but none come. I...he... Rithe's face flushes with color as Zuel seems to smile before describing the situation. She nods understanding of the briefing slowly, as her face slowly returns to its natural hue. "I'm coming with you, I need to be able to touch you to heal you." And as Zuel charged forth, Rithe mustered her courage and followed. Ehheeww. This one's just as gross as the last ones. Keeping close to Zuel, but still definitely behind him, Rithe tried to stay out of the way, but still be close enough to provide aid if necessary. This turned out to be a daunting task, as not only was dodging in time with Zuel tough, but actually getting close to the Nepent, put Rithe on edge. In a flurry of misses, both combatants prepare to clash for a second time. Rithe finds an opening in the fighting to quickly slice at the creature with her dagger, and takes the opportunity. 

Rithe attacks with <<Will and Testament>>.

ID# 103997 results: Battle: 9(hit, paralyzed)

Spoiler

[1 hate]Rithe: 20/20 HP 1/2 EN (-1 EN)

Zuel: 120/120 HP 0/12 EN 

Nepent Variant: 14/15 HP (5 MIT)(10 base damage)(Ignores MIT on a natural MD roll of 10)

MOB: 10(hit, ignores MIT) 10 base damage + 2 super-critical damage = 12 final damage (paralyzed)

The lucky cut does its job perfectly, nicking the Nepent and causing it to withdraw its tendril. What Rithe didn't see was the other vine that luckily came grinding to halt halt from paralysis. That was too close.

Edited by Rithe
Combat!!

Zuel began to plan out his next corse of action before he would watch in amazement as Rithe would spring into battle, attacking the Nepent Variant. Her dagger able to clip the Variant dealing damage to it. Just as she hit a tendril would be attacking her at full force that would be a direct hit. Zuel would begin to rush to her but wasn't going to make it. Just as it was about to hit the Nepent Variant would omit a small shock of electricity from its body stoping the attack it was paralyzed. Zuel would stop as he would inspect the debuff on the monster determining it must of been the effect of Rithe's attack that caused the Variant to be paralyzed. Zuel would smirk as he took this opportunity to launch an attack himself. Zuel would leap into the air once he got into range of the Nepent and slash his sword through it. Its natural armor made the damage minimal but still effect as a slash mark appeared on the Variant. He would look over to her. To make sure she was alright before focusing his attention back to the field boss. "We aren't doing much damage to it but if we hit it together we can take it down easily, especially if you can paralyze it a couple more times." Zuel would stand in front of Rithe again hoping to force its attention to him. 

Zuel: ID#103998 Results: BD: 6 + 1 = 7 (Hit)

Spoiler

[1 hate]Rithe: 20/20 HP 1/2 EN (-1 EN)

[1 hate] Zuel: 120/120 HP 0/12 EN (+1 EN) (-1 EN)

Nepent Variant: 13/15 HP (5 MIT)(10 base damage)(Ignores MIT on a natural MD roll of 10) (-1)

Rithe grinned as she realized what she had done. The full force of the creature's attack had been halted by her little dagger. She looks at it in wonderment, while Zuel strikes at the monster, hitting but not managing to pierce the armor. Rithe raises her weapon once more as she notices that the Nepent was beginning to shake off the effects of the paralyze debuff. She tries to keep up with Zuel as he executes his maneuvers, whilst also looking for another convenient opening. With the beast having its functionality restored, Rithe calls out to Zuel. "Got it. I'll paralyze it and you cut it down a notch." She ducks under a flailing tendril and gets within engagement range of the beast, knife at the ready. We can do this! She thought with amazement. Our statistics perfectly align!

Rithe attacks with <<Will and Testament>>

ID# 103999 results: Battle: 4(miss)

Spoiler

[1 hate]Rithe: 20/20 HP 0/2 EN (-2 EN)

[1 hate] Zuel: 120/120 HP 0/12 EN 

Nepent Variant: 13/15 HP (5 MIT)(10 base damage)(Ignores MIT on a natural MD roll of 10) 

MOB: 2(miss)

The Nepent Variant seemed to be well aware of the threat that the paralytic dagger held, and it was throwing everything it had at Rithe to keep her away. She just couldn't get close enough to hit the body and the vines didn't slow down long enough to become vulnerable. Rithe dodges to one side as a tendril crashes down upon where she was standing. This is intense! But I can't find an opportunity to hit it. Hopefully Zuel is having better luck.

Edited by Rithe
Combat!!

Zuel would continue to formulate a strategy to land another attack. Rithe would begin to make her move as she into range to attack but wasn't able to move any close to land a successful hit. Those tendrils also were a valuable tool for defense as well as dangerous. "If we want to get through we are going to have to do something about those tendrils." Zuel would attempt to get through and aim for the tendrils instead of the body of the Nepent Variant. He would dodge some of them as he got close trying to launch an attack against them. He would swing his sword attempting to cut the tendril but the Nepent Variant would retract them once again at the last second. "Its fast." It seemed that the beast was protective of hits tendrils since they were it main source of attacking. Zuel would retreat back to Rithe's side. It seemed this battle was going to take a bit longer than he expected, wasting his energy on the weaker ones may have been a hasty decision. He would watch carefully as he continued to think of what to do next.

Zuel: ID#104000 Results: BD: 2 + 1 = 3 (miss)

Spoiler

[1 hate]Rithe: 20/20 HP 1/2 EN 

[1 hate] Zuel: 120/120 HP 0/12 EN (+1 EN) (-1 EN)

Nepent Variant: 13/15 HP (5 MIT)(10 base damage)(Ignores MIT on a natural MD roll of 10) 

This plant is a real pain. I guess it really is worthy of being a floor boss. I can't land a hit on it, and neither can Zuel. Rithe frowns as she tries to puzzle the situation out in her mind. If Zuel had more energy, he might be able to do some actual damage. Rithe just had to buy him some time. I can do this. Rithe psychs herself up for another pass at the Nepent Variant. She weaves through the storm of vine strikes, trying to close the distance, but it was to no avail, as the monster unleashed a veritable torrent of tendril lashes, arching in a corona around it. Approaching it was almost impossible. She glances over briefly to Zuel to find him struggling just the same as her.  

ID# 104002 results: Battle: 9(hit, paralyze)

Spoiler

[3 hate]Rithe: 20/20 HP 0/2 EN (+1, -1 EN)

[1 hate] Zuel: 120/120 HP 0/12 EN 

Nepent Variant: 12/15 HP (5 MIT)(10 base damage)(Ignores MIT on a natural MD roll of 10) 

MOB: 3(miss)(paralyzed)

"Yes! I got it! It's paralyzed, feel free to take a breather!" Rithe felt confidence building up with the successful strike. The Nepent was fast. But not fast enough.

Edited by Rithe
Combat!!

Zuel would watch as Rithe would land another attack against the Variant causing it to become paralyzed once again. Although they were slowly lowering the health of the boss Zuel knew it would take a long time to finish off the boss without using a sword skill. "Thanks, I am going to restore my energy a bit so I can deal more damage with a sword skill." If Zuel would try to attack now he would only waste more energy so he decided to out range the Variant and do nothing for a bit to by some time so that he could recover. The defense of the Variant was just to high for them to deal decent amount of damage so this was going to have to be their strategy for now. Zuel would take a knee digging his sword into the ground as he held on to it, keeping a careful watch of the Nepent Variant and Rithe. "Just be careful not to take to much damage from the tendrils while I recover." He would look to his energy bar.

Zuel takes no action.

Spoiler

[3 hate]Rithe: 20/20 HP 0/2 EN 

[1 hate] Zuel: 120/120 HP 1/12 EN (+1 EN)

Nepent Variant: 12/15 HP (5 MIT)(10 base damage)(Ignores MIT on a natural MD roll of 10) 

The Nepent Variant strained against itself, paralytic effects restricting its ability to fight back. Rithe watchfully as Zuel distanced himself from the fighting. "If you think that will work, then I'll keep distracting it." And just the same as before, the monster sheds its negative status effect and begins its assault anew. I've got its attention now. Eyes on me, you overgrown fly trap. Rithe carefully guided the combat away from her ally, giving him time to recover his energy. If I can just keep getting lucky, then it won't be able to touch me. The Nepent was steadily backing her up against a virtual wall of trees. This is bad, this is bad. Come on, slow down for just a split second- There! One of the vines had gotten stuck in the webbing of trees, making it extremely vulnerable to its attack, now your mine!

ID# 104016 results: Battle: 5(miss)

Spoiler

[3 hate]Rithe: 20/20 HP 0/2 EN (+1 -2 energy)

[1 hate] Zuel: 120/120 HP 1/12 EN 

MOB: 2(miss)

Rithe's survival instincts were sending off panicked warning signals, causing her to notice the incoming attack. In favor of not getting hit, Rithe had to abandon her attack. Back to square one. 

Edited by Rithe
Combat!!

Zuel watched as Rithe would distract the Variant causing it to focus her. With no choice Zuel continued to not perform any action so not to waste any unnecessary energy in order to save up for a Sword Skill. Zuel was impressed at Rithe's resolve as before she was terrified of the Nepent Variant however now she was fighting it head on without any hesitation at all. "Just a little longer and I will have enough energy to use my Sword skill." Zuel would do some calculation to predict how much damage his sword skill would do. Depending if it would land or not they would still need to land a couple more hits to finish it off completely. Luckily with their armor mitigation they wouldn't be taking that much damage so he wasn't that worried of letting Rithe handle the field boss for a little longer until he was ready to Use his sword skill. 

Zuel takes no action.

Spoiler

[3 hate]Rithe: 20/20 HP 0/2 EN 

[1 hate] Zuel: 120/120 HP 2/12 EN (+1 EN)

Edited by Zuel