[F01 - PP] Finally, a well deserved breather. (With Zuel)

Rithe frowns when her friend refuses her offer. Why would he willingly choose against taking something helpful? Does he not trust me? Rithe sits down on her bedroll. Maybe that's smart, maybe he just has a habit of not accepting consumables. What if he was poisoned or paralyzed in a previous adventure that I haven't heard about. She was clearly over-thinking Zuel's obviously good intentions and receiving a pat on the head for her efforts. When he mentions that she should look out for herself, she gives him a funny look before glancing back at the recently made potion. It's probably because it looks so gross. She looks at it herself, and becomes queasy. If I only had the necessary texture and color editing materials. For all I know it could make him grow another set of eyes, so maybe I should get rid of it. She nods to herself. Somehow she had managed to rationalize getting rid of it, just from thinking too hard. Just before Zuel sits next to her, she lazily tosses the potion toward the shelves causing it to shatter and spill its contents. "It was probably no good anyway. Haha~" she shifts uncomfortably in her seat before directing her attention to her friend and his menu oblivious to the distance between them. "For skills, I think I want to get martial arts. Probably because of how well that's worked for me so far. But other things are more important for now." She looks at her bare hands, and hugs her knees as she sits. Her mind goes back to the conversation she had previously with him at the cafe. "Maybe staying in the game wouldn't be so bad." She says this at barely a whisper. Zuel might be able to hear some of it given how close they are. The temperature continues to decrease, forcing Rithe to bundle herself tighter in her jacket and rub her hands together.

Edited by Rithe
temperature
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zuel would look at her a bit shocked at her decisions to throw her potion instead of taking it herself since she was obviously freezing. "Why did you do that? Aren't you cold?" Zuel would rub the back of his head a bit confused but decided to leave it alone. He glanced over to her seeing her getting even colder rubbing her hands together. Zuel decides he doesn't want her to continue being cold while he waits for the storm to pass. He would grab her hands keeping them warm in his. "You think to much you know that RIthe." He would gently rub his hands onto hers in order to create some friction and warm her up faster. Not sure if he should bring it up again he decided he should ask, maybe this situation would change things a bit. "You know I am sure a warmer jacket would probably be better than a leather on in this weather." Zuel would look to her a bit concerned which wasn't quite like him. He wasn't sure how to connect with people so his persistence on asking about it was his poor attempt to get closer to her.

Rithe rocks slowly back and forth while sitting, trying to keep moving. "It wasn't any good. It probably wouldn't have helped anyone..." Contrary to what she's saying, she loses confidence the more she speaks, as if she isn't quite sure herself. Why did I think that was good idea?! I MADE that potion with my two hands, there is no way that I put anything detrimental in there. Rithe winces slightly at her own stupidity but doesn't get the chance to dwell on it. Suddenly her hands were surrounded by an all encasing warmth. Zuel? "Z-zuel?" Immediately, her face goes from pale with frost to pink from embarrassment. She briefly considers pulling her hands away, but doesn't want to make Zuel feel uncomfortable. "Y-yeah, I k-know." She manages to stutter out in response to her friend's observations. She stiffens when he mentions her jacket again. Why does it keep coming back to that? "You're p-probably right. But, i-it's special... to me." She says vaguely, not providing him with any useful answer. She subconsciously loops her fingers through a damaged patch by her hip/abdomen area, almost instinctively. I'm surprised that tailor could make something like this to so specific specifications. Even with the tear.. She was tempted to retaliate by responding with a possibly sensitive question, but her mix of flustered/on guard nature made this nigh-impossible. 

Zuel once again getting a vague answer once again decided it was probably best to stop pressing her about it for now. Thinking it was probably good enough he would let go of her as the sounds of rain and thunder had stopped for the time being. Zuel would get up and roll his shoulder stretching it out a bit before looking to Rithe and lending her a hand to help her up. "I think it is probably fine to get out of here now. I appreciate that you showed me your shop so let me return the favor." Zuel would walk outside to see a now sunny area that is completely wet but peaceful. Leading them back to town Zuel would make his way to the teleport platform in order to get them on floor 9 where they were ported to Yōgan Village. It was a lot hotter on floor 9 since it was mostly lava pools and black soot from the mountains. "Its just a bit of a hike to the east. Think you will be okay? I know this isn't the most glamorous floor. I won't be upset if you rather go somewhere more pleasant."  Zuel would ask her as they reached the eastern gate of the village.

She felt somewhat guilty for dodging his questions, but she really couldn't tell him. I don't want to be treated any differently just because of my past. The warmth around her hands is taken away as Zuel lets go and stands. She looks up at him, also noticing the lessening storm. She takes his hand and gets to her feet wiping off the dust from the floor. "It seems like it's clearing up." She then smiles at his comment, saying "I bet it looks at least a little less dreary than this." She gestures to the room, in general. She follows him outside, marveling at the way that the weather can change in an instant. They travel back to the teleport platform, heading for floor 9. The wave of heat hit her immediately. She was really regretting discarding the comfort potion. "I don't mind a hike." She says, starting to sweat from the ambient heat. "Don't worry about me, I'm fine." It was significantly jarring, going from cold to hot in such a short span of time.

Edited by Rithe

Zuel would begin to lead her through floor 9 east until the reached a giant mountain where lava would poor down it into what seemed to be a small workshop. The lava was pushing a giant obsidian wheel connected to the building as it went by. The entire shop was build from obsidian, which gave the structure a black glossy finish and made it impossible for the lava to damage the building. Zuel would approach the building turning to her as they reached the door and pulling out a old looking key in order to unlock the door. "Well this is it. Lets go inside." Zuel would open the door and allow Rithe to enter first as the place was dark but still lit from a giant forge in the back center of the room that was filled with the passing lava. In the center of the room was a giants obsidian anvil with his work bench right next to it. The walls were covered  in weapons and armor that Zuel had crafted with his unique lava forge style. He would light a few candles to give the room a bit more light. "So what do you think?"

Zuel's shop was the opposite of her's in nearly every way. The volcanic forge warmed the space, causing the air in the workshop to become heat hazed. Due to the warm air, Rithe began taking short, sharp breaths, as quietly as she can. It's certainly far more interesting than my workshop. She thinks while looking at the forge and the obsidian wheel. Upon entering the interior, she pauses to marvel at the selection of magma-forged armaments. I might not be able to use any of these, but their aesthetic is incredible. She reaches out to touch one of the swords, before stopping herself. She looks over to her friend as he lights candles to improve the lighting in the room. "It seems like you've been productive." She says, smiling at him. "Do you ever imagine making something that a frontliner might use one day?" She pauses, trying to say her thought in a different way. "Wouldn't it be wonderful to know that something you made was used by the people actively fighting to free us all?" She says, her thoughts lingering on the frontlines. 

Zuel began to walk around cleaning various areas up a bit as he did as he wasn't expecting company even though the place was already quite clean. "Sorry about the mess. I didn't expect anyone to see this place for a long time since it is so out of the way but it is the perfect environment for me to continue my work." The surrounding area was covered with mountain areas and the obsidian ore that Zuel prefers to use for all his crafts. He would walk up to his work looking into them seeing his own reflection. "I would like to help anyone survive this death game especially the front line. I have been working hard to get there myself but it is a slow grind until I get my stats up. That is why I don't mind when you call me to help you with quest." Zuel would turn to Rithe giving her a more serious look. "What about you? Do you have any interest in joining the front lines if you could?" Zuel folded his arms leaning again his anvil almost using it as a seat to support himself.

Sitting on the floor, Rithe looks up at her friend as he speaks. "Mess?" She glances around herself at the already clean workshop, slightly confused. She then starts feeling self-conscious, as her workspace was comparatively worse. "That was sort of the idea with my shop as well. I just wanted a place where I could work without distractions." She watches Zuel curiously as he examines his creations. Rithe listens attentively to his response to her question, nodding sympathetically to the slow grind that is leveling. "Me? On the front lines?" She had to give some thought to this. I want to help.. But is outside the game that much better? And when would I be ready to participate in a raid? What's the chance that I'll die in the first series of hits? "If I could join, I think I would... But right now, and even for the near future, I don't think I'm close to ready." She sits, looking at her feet, intimidated by the thought of fighting alongside Aincrad's best.  "This might be a sensitive question, but what motivates you to be free of this place? Do you have family in the real world or something like that?" She almost regretted asking, realizing the implications of her question.

Zuel would look down at Rithe as she told him about the front lines. It seemed that she had similar feelings as he did about it. "That is why I am trying to work hard in raising my level as well as my craft so I can become strong enough to be useful." Zuel would stand up walking over to a near by chair sitting down as he thought about her question. "Well for one thing surviving would be one thing. I doubt our bodies can last forever outside the game on respirators." He would fiddle with his fingers a bit. "As for  family I don't really have any. I live alone and basically spent my whole life either working or in the military so I never had a chance to have a life. But coming here it feels different kind of like an actual home you know?" Zuel would give a weak smile before rising to his feet once again looking back to Rithe. "We should probably get going. I doubt you want to spend another minute in a place like this." Zuel would reach his hand down to her to help her up. "What about you? What is your motivation?"

It really seems like he's trying his best. Rithe smiles gently at the thought. But when her friend mentions that their real world bodies might decay, some of the color drains from her face. I hadn't even thought about that!  "Y-yeah. I know t-the hospital staff are probably hard at work--" She pauses, her brain going into overdrive. Wait, wait, wait. There is no way that my 'parents' put me into a hospital. So how am I still alive? Wouldn't they have gotten bored at not being able to torture their daughter, and just decide on a whim to split my head open with a rock? It was clear that she was disturbed, but probably not in the way that Zuel would assume. She doesn't quite hear when her friend tells about his lack of family or his military life or about how SAO has become his home. She looks up at him, accepting his hand.  "Motivation..." She hesitates before continuing,  "I just wan-, I jus-, I... I don't know." She finally manages to say. It wasn't the truth, but it also wasn't a lie. She knew why she had to escape, but she didn't know why she wanted to. Up to this point, she had almost convinced herself that she didn't want to leave. And this new line of though regarding their real life bodies only caused further anxiety. She was doing a good job at keeping her emotions hidden, the least she could do is prevent Zuel from having to deal with this.

Zuel would notice that Rithe would begin to act a bit strangely after mentioning their bodies. Is this the first time she has thought about it? Not really sure what to do to make her feel better about it Zuel would try to change the subject. "I am sure we will be out of here soon enough, but you know this world isn't so bad and I was able to make a valuable companion in you Rithe."  It began to get a bit late as Zuel would lead them back to the village and then to the teleporter. "Lets head to the inn for the night. We can grab a room if you would like, on me." They would teleport to the town of beginnings and head to the inn at the center of the town. "Do you want to share a room for the night? Purchasing a two bedroom room would probably be cheaper than paying for individual rooms." Zuel didn't think much of it after all this was still a game and he didn't have any ill intentions with Rithe. As they entered the inn the innkeeper would address the two. "Welcome! Would you like to purchase a room?" Zuel would look to Rithe.

She had a hard time shaking her troubled thoughts. What were her parents planning: keeping her alive this long? She picks up pieces of what her friend says, smiling gently when she hears mention of a valuable companion, but being too distracted to speak up. Zuel begins to walk away, and realizing that she might be left behind if she stands still, she follows after him. They arrive at the teleporter with her friend suggesting an inn. She didn't have a problem with this, and given the recent heavy news, a rest would likely do her well. She almost suggested her home inn, but decided against it in favor of Zuel's decision. She simply nods in response to his question. 

They take the teleporter down to the 1st floor, a much cooler atmosphere than before. She breathes in the fresher air before continuing after her companion. Once they reach the inn, Rithe doesn't quite process Zuel's question, only understanding that it is, in fact, a question. "Sure..." She manages to say in between inner dialogues, not giving too much thought to the matter. She gazes up at the innkeeper and just gives a standardized amount of Col through an interaction menu, leaving the dialogue open for choice. 

To put it simply, Rithe has already paid for the room, but is leaving the details of said room up to Zuel.

Zuel would look curiously at Rithe as she seemed to have something on her mind and was barely answering him whenever he talked to her. Zuel would put his portion of the col for the two bed room getting a confirmation window that they would have the room for the night. Zuel would lead them upstairs and down the long hallway of locked room as they would reach their room. Zuel would unlock the door with the key he was given from the innkeeper and enter their room. Inside was a decently size room with two beds separate from each other across the top corners of the room with a window in between, two armoires near each bed for their things as well as a table in the middle of the room that had a candle on it that was illuminating the room. Zuel would take his jacket off placing it on the rack near where they entered, taking his sword off and resting it on the side of the armoire. "Well we have the room for the night but we can extend our stay with a few col if you would like." Zuel would look to Rithe to see that she was still out of it as he walked over to her and leaned down a bit to get to her level so she had to look at him directly. "Whats gotten into you? You have been spaced out since we left my workshop." The moonlight would shimmer in through the window to further illuminate the room at that moment. 

She follows him silently up the stairs and down the hall. Why? How? I should be dead, shouldn't I? Her face didn't show it, but she was suffering from the thoughts coursing through her rattled mind. Normally, she would have complained about Zuel paying for part of her sleeping arrangements, but the idea slipped her mind. The door opens before her, and she enters without too much thought. The room was quaint and had enough space for both of them to spend the night comfortably. She sits down on her bed heavily, and opens her menu. Rithe peruses her menu, looking at her level and statistics. I'm still so weak. She manages to think, breaking her previous train of thought. As her friend kneels in front of her and tries to get her to look at him, she averts her gaze, not wanting to lock eyes with him. "I'm - I'm fine." She seems like she's trying to actively focus on something else, refusing to make eye contact. "There's just a lot I have to think about." 

Zuel would sigh silently as he would place his hand on her head trying to comfort her. "I don't know what your thinking but if you need to talk I am here." Zuel wasn't really sure what he was feeling he never really cared for someone before. Maybe this is what it is like to see your daughter sad. "You are important to me and I promise that both of us will survive this game together alright." This was completely out of Zuel's character but he felt like he had to do something because he didn't like seeing her like that. He would stand up heading over to his bed as he would get ready to sleep. It had been a pretty long day for both of them and Zuel hadn't really gotten much sleep at all for the passed couple of days between questing and crafting in his workshop. He would look over his shoulder to Rithe. "Try to get some sleep. Hopefully you will feel better in the morning." Zuel would lay back on his bed resting his head on his hands closing his eyes. He didn't use his covers and was pretty much fully dressed besides taking off his jacket, boots and some light armor as he slowly started to fall asleep.

Edited by Zuel

She finally looks at him when her head is pat, awkwardly squirming under his hand.  "Thanks." She smiles genuinely, before going pink-faced at her friend's next comment.  "Y-you're i-important t-too." she says, stuttering profusely. She shakes her head to wipe away her embarrassment, and watches him retreat to his bed. Rithe falls back onto her bed, covering her eyes with her sleeve. She takes off her boots, and lets them fall off her feet. She makes herself more comfortable by gripping her jacket tighter around herself. She hears Zuel's voice from across the room, and smiles to herself.  "Sleep well." Some time passes, but Rithe hasn't made any progress toward falling asleep. She's been tossing and turning, curled up into the tightest possible ball, trying to count sheep. Eventually, at some point in the night she drifts off to sleep. Unfortunately her night would be riddled with nightmares and restlessness.

The sun would rise and shine through the window hitting Zuel's face causing him to wake up as he would sit up placing his hand on his forehead and then through his hair. Looking over to Rithe he could tell right away that she wasn't sleeping well as he decided to would probably be better not to wake her up as he would get up re equipping his gear. It looks like she still has a lot on her mind. He would quietly leave out of the room, careful not to wake her and head out to the shopping district to get something to eat for them. Walking up to one of the venders he would buy them both some breakfast items and bring them back to the inn. Silently entering the room Zuel would place it down on the table as he would walk over to Rithe. He would gently put his hand on her shoulder giving her a slight nudge to attempt to wake her up. "Rithe, its morning I got us some breakfast." He would try to nudge her again in an attempt to get her attention. 

Rithe was coiled up, ready to spring loose when Zuel nudged her. She starts, and panics, almost kicking her friend in the face as she wakes. Luckily, she misses. She apologizes for this, and goes to eat breakfast with Zuel at the small table in their room. The meal is delicious, but Rithe keeps quiet, consuming the food earnestly. Why does it feel like I haven't eaten in forever? She finishes far before her companion and sheepishly excuses herself to the bathroom to ready up for the day. By the time she comes out, Zuel will have likely finished his meal. She approaches him with a suggestion.  "I.. I think I could use some time relaxing. Care to join me?" She offers, smiling gently.  "Don't worry, we won't be going far. There's this lake I found on this floor that I sometimes use to practice my martial arts." Assuming that her friend agrees, she leads him out of the inn, and out of the Starting City. She walks calmly towards her little spot in the forest, eager to absorb its peaceful atmosphere. They enter the forest, and while Rithe is somewhat worried about monsters, she believe she can handle anything this floor can throw at her. The woods open up into a massive clearing with a deep lake surrounding by rocky shores and a small waterfall off to one end. A large, old tree stretches a branch across part of the water. Rithe breathes a sigh of relief and sits near the edge on one of the rocks, dipping her toes in. She waits for Zuel to sit beside her, looking up at the sun shining through the canopy. 

Unbeknown to Rithe and Zuel, a third player drops out of a tree silently behind them. "Today's my lucky day." He whispers, quietly pulling the axe and shield from his back. Dez had been waiting all day for this. He grins savagely. 

Edited by Rithe

Zuel's eyes would widen as Rithe's foot would just miss his face as he would look at her a bit surprised to her random attack. Listening to her apologize he would shrug it off but would become a bit curious to her reaction. Rithe had always been a bit different to Zuel and would seem like she is hiding something even though it wasn't really any of his business. Leaving the thought in the back of his head for now he would eat his breakfast and nod as she went to the bathroom allowing him to finish eating. He would look to her as she addressed him when she returned to the room and gave her a smile. "Alright that sounds like a nice place to relax as well." Zuel knew she had been dealing with a lot lately and liked the idea of going to a peaceful place together to maybe ease her mind. Zuel would follow Rithe as he would look around absorbing the essence of the area and it really was peaceful. "When did you find this place?" Zuel would ask as she was already ahead of him so she probably didn't end up hearing him. He would follow her as she finally stopped and sat down as Zuel would sit behind her and smile as she relaxed by the lake.