[SP-F2] Blaze of Glory (Earning a Living)

Shade walked through one of the forests up on Floor 2. Many scapes of trees dotted the floor, so Shade didn't expect anything to come from this one. And why should he? As he walked through the trees, he then took a brief look at the mountains, before looking back, something had caught his eye, it looked like... Smoke? He looked up again and confirmed it. Some cave up there had smoke pouring out of it, and it had red light coming from the mouth of the cave as well. "What the..?" Shade said, as he started to make his way to the source.

As he kept on his way, he noticed burning figures coming out of the cave. They looked to be rock-like monsters, all of the on fire. Names appeared on their heads saying, <>. Shade scoffed and drew his sword in the upside-down grip. "Hmph. Out of my way." The monsters, of course, didn't comply.

• 4 weeks later...

Shade had to take a few steps back as the ground around the monsters cracked with flames as they ran at him. Shade rolled out of the way and slashed one across the side of it's stomach, doing little more than just agitating it. It made a crackling sound, like burning ashes as it clawed at Shade's face, sending him rolling on his side.

Shade stood up shakily and spat at the two monsters. "Fine! Let's have it!" He yelled at them, as he ran with his sword again, only to get hit in the stomach with a burning lump of coal. He wheezed as he had to prop himself up and he saw the two monsters drawing near him again. "Damn... Not like this..." He croaked, as he tried to get his sword ready again.

Just as the <> were about to hit him, Burner leaped out from the bushes and spewed flames at the two rock monsters, burning them up faster than a gasoline covered match. The small dragling then waddled over to Shade's leg and rubbed his head against it lovingly. "Hmph, and where were you at?" Shade said, as he set the dragon onto his shoulder.

The tiny dragon blinked a few times before it nuzzled Shade's neck. Shade sighed and continued to walk through the woods to the mountain, drawing closer to the mouth of the cave he had seen before. He started to climb the side of the rock mountain, struggling to find protrusions and foot holds while his dragon flapped next to him and pulled his hood to help him up.

Though Shade didn't show it on the outside, he was thankful for the help. After a long and stressful amount of climbing, he eventually reached the ledge with the mine on it. He dusted himself off and drew his cutlass, holding it in the upside down grip as he always did. He took a few steps and peeked into the mine, which glowed with fire from inside.

Smoke rolled out above the cave, as Shade could tell something was definitely burning inside. He pulled his shirt collar over his mouth and walked in, trying to avoid inhaling any fumes. As he went on, he saw pickaxes and chunks of ore. This was definitely some sort of mine, but who was in it was beyond Shade.

As Shade went on, the smoke got thicker and thicker. Feeling sick, he couched into his sleeve and began to move slower. Burner looked up at him with concerned eyes and rubbed his leg, hoping his master wasn't in any pain. As he went on, Shade couldn't take the sickening feeling anymore. He coughed furiously and fell to his knees, before felling down. Before drifting into unconsciousness, he heard something like voices around him.

-Three hours after Shade's black out-

Shade blinked a few times as he slowly began to stir, looking around slowly, he rubbed his temples as he was in some sort of cage. "...?" He had to wait for his vision to became clear again before he began to look around. Through the bars of the cage, lava gushed around as carts of ore ran around the huge mine he was in. Large vats of molten rock were evident around as they dumped ore into smelter. Ash and smoke rose up, going into tunnels of the mine.

Shade then heard the same chattering he had heard when he passed out. He looked down and saw little goblin-like creatures, chattering as they all stared at Shade. None of them could be taller than three feet, with red skin and fur and metal clothing. One walked up to Shade and poked him with a spear, which to Shade's interests, wasn't something he liked. He grabbed the spear and snapped it in two, making it burst into blue crystals. The small goblins all gasped, some of them trying to break their own spears yet failing. They then turned to Shade and bowed, starting to chant. "What the..?" Shade started, as all the goblins bowed to him.

The goblins opened up the cage and Shade stepped out cautiously, all the goblins still bowing to him. Shade then got an idea, a maliciously, wonderful, idea. Every last one of these Goblins most likely carried Experience and Col, and if Shade wanted to become stronger, than he had to take every chance he could get.

Shade stood and raised his voice. "I want each and every one of you filthy creatures to listen. I am your ruler, and as my first command, I want my dragon back. The small, scaled creature that was with me." The goblins chattered, and then they sent a few away. Later, coming back with Burner, who was bound by chains. Shade cringed, seeing what they did to his dragon, and snatched him back from the. He cut the chains and Burner crawled back onto his master's shoulder, nuzzling his neck.

Seeing as the goblins had a slight understanding of what Shade said, he then spoke again. "And now you have angered me. I demand sacrifice. You shall send forward your warriors to do battle with me. All who cannot compete, die. Do I make myself clear?" The goblins talked to eachother again and then some drew spears, running at Shade and screeching.

Shade quickly stepped and slashed one goblin across the chest, causing it to fall over and burst into crystals. He then kicked another in the throat and plunged his sword through it's chest, killing another. While other goblins watching cheered, screeching and throwing their spears up in the air.

Shade scoffed and kicked one of the goblins who fell before him. "Tch, your weakness disgusts me." He said, kicking it down the steps of the stage he was on. "Who else dares to fight your god?" Shade said, looking out over all of the goblins. None moved, except for one.

The goblin was different from all the rest of the common ramble. It was wearing some sort of armor made from a silvery type of metal, and it's spear was tipped with the same type as well. That must have been all the ore Shade had been seeing. "It doesn't matter if you wear some fancy armor, you'll die just as the rest of your warriors did." Shade said with a scoff, drawing his cutlass and slashing at the goblins chest, yet only making a scrape as the goblin thrust his spear into Shade's leg.

Shade grunted and cupped his hand over the gash that had been ripped into his leg. The goblin raised his spear again, but recoiled when Shade spat in his eye. Trying to get up, Shade shifted his weight onto his sword for support, then using his mass to fall forward with a swing, hitting the goblin on it's unprotected head.

The goblin still struggled. Shade picked up it's squirming body and held it out to the crowed. "This armor, how do I forge it?" Chatter broke out against the goblins, and then they all made way as an elderly goblin walked through the crowed, making his way to Shade. The goblin looked the same as all the rest, yet much older. He wore white robes and had a staff, crown, and necklaces all made of the silvery metal Shade had seen before.

"You wish to know how to forge our shiny rock?" The small goblin asked, looking up at Shade. "I... Yes." Shade said, surprised the goblins were capable of speech. "And as I said, I assume you're most likely the one who knows most about forging?"