[F02-SP] <<Training Your Friend>> And Into the Fire

I stopped for a moment and let my guard down. I hope I can move fast enough to pull this off. Oh well, too late now. I slipped to the side as the Wolf lunged and slammed my Axe deep into its side sending it skidding away. I saw its remaining hit points drop by a quarter. Yes! This is almost over. I grinned and pressed the attack, my Axe slamming to the ground narrowly missing it as it recovered and dodged out of the way. I swung my axe up in two quick strikes as it snapped at my arms but it managed to twist out of the way and then backed off to get some distance. I definitely got the better of that exchange. Not that I am hurt at all. Why am I so worried about doing this properly? Sometimes bold action is necessary! I thought rushing forward again.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111542
    •  Battle: 10 (CRITICAL HIT! +2 DMG)
    •  MOB: 1 ( CRITICAL MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 146/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD +2  (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG +2 DMG = 5 DMG
  • Wolf: HP 13/80 | DMG 24  (HP -5)
    • Attack: 24 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG 

Edited by Mortambo
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pressed the attack instead of keeping on the defensive, my Axe whirling around and keeping the Wolf off balance. It narrowly dodged my first few swipes, but finally I connected. I hesitated for a moment not knowing whether to continue and the Wolf spun with my strike snapping at my arm, but I rolled it out of the way. There’s my answer. I jumped into a slightly different attack pattern with the Wolf dodging most of my strikes. I wanted to concentrate on being a tank and taking blows for other people. I think that made me complacent and happy to take trade blows and take them rather than attacking. But I’ve got to remember the best defense is a good offense. If I can’t kill the enemy quickly then it is nearly pointless for me to be fighting them. The Wolf snapped at me again and I dodged back, off balance for a moment.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111560
    •  Battle: 7 (HIT!)
    •  MOB: 2 ( MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 146/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD 2  (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG = 3 DMG
  • Wolf: HP 10/80 | DMG 24  (HP -3)
    • Attack: 24 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG (MISS!)

Edited by Mortambo

The Wolf pressed the attack and latched on my arm. The screech of its teeth across my armor as it dug in made my ears hurt. As I threw it off, it tried to hang on and I had to bring my Axe down to get it to let go and dodge out of the way. It took me a long second to recover and I realized the Wolf was lunging again. Frantically I dodged out of the way before regaining my balance. I darted forward pressing the attack again, executing a side slash forcing the Wolf to dodge underneath my blade. As it lunged upward at me, I dodged to the side slashing at it again. It twisted out of my reach, but I pressed the attack forcing it to dodge back again. As I feinted in a sideways slash, it moved out of the way again but it made some space between us.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111561
    •  Battle: 1 (CRITICAL MISS!)
    •  MOB: 9 ( CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
  • Mortambo: HP 145/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD 2 (HP -1)  (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG = 3 DMG (MISS)
  • Wolf: HP 10/80 | DMG 24  
    • Attack: 24 DMG + 1 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG
Edited by Mortambo

With the space between us I saw my chance. I leaped up into the air bringing my Axe smashing down on the Wolf sending it skidding back and yelping in pain. I watched its hit points go down to almost nothing and darted forward again. It lunged forward towards me and harried my arm trying to find purchase but getting kneed in its face after doing a slight amount of damage to me. I smiled at it and said “I told you that you had no chance.” I backed off for the moment to get some space because I noticed my swings had slowed down a bit. I’m finally getting tired and Sunetra and I still have to train. I’m not done yet though. My grip on my Axe tightened and I went on the attack again. As I slashed downward the Wolf easily dodged and lunged at my throat, taking me down to the ground for the second time.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111562
    •  Battle: 10 (CRITICAL HIT! +2 DMG)
    •  MOB: 6 ( HIT! )
  • Mortambo: HP 144/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD 2 (HP -1)  (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG +2 DMG = 5 DMG
  • Wolf: HP 5/80 | DMG 24 (-5 DMG)  
    • Attack: 24 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG

Edited by Mortambo

I managed to get my Battle Axe up between us holding off the Wolf’s biting by shoving the haft of my Axe into its mouth and pressing. It kept trying at different angles and we were just rolling around locked in this battle of who would get the upper hand. I tried throwing it off, but I didn’t have the leverage at the moment so I kept up my rather weak defense. What else could I do? Every time I roll, it just follows. The Wolf’s angry golden eyes and razor sharp teeth were only inches from my face. Deep in its throat, a low angry growl rumbled outwards letting me know it was enraged that it could finish me off. Not that it would if I let it through my guard, but it didn’t know that. It just sensed that its prey was finally weak enough and it was time to finish this.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111563
    •  Battle: 1 (CRITICAL MISS!)
    •  MOB: 3 ( MISS! )
  • Mortambo: HP 144/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD 2  (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG = 3 DMG (MISS!)
  • Wolf: HP 5/80 | DMG 24   
Edited by Mortambo

I agree, Wolf. It’s time to finish this. I struggled against it again trying to get the upper hand so I could roll back to my feet. The Wolf’s weight was too much for me to push off this time. Apparently the fight had taken more out of me than I thought. Trapped in this battle for advantage both the Wolf and I were getting frustrated. It started trying to rip my Axe out of my hands and I barely kept a hold of it. I began to knee it in the stomach trying to get it to let go and I just couldn’t get leverage to actually do any damage which would get it to let go. I’m sure this looks great rolling around in the dirt with this stupid Wolf, and sadly it wasn’t even about life and death. Shoving my Axe into its mouth again I forced its head to the side.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111564
    •  Battle: 4 (MISS!)
    •  MOB: 4 (MISS!)
    • Attack: 3 DMG = 3 DMG (MISS!)
  • Wolf: HP 5/80 | DMG 24   
Edited by Mortambo

As I forced its head over, I kicked again this time putting as much force as I could into it with the little bit of leverage I could get. Finally, it forced the Wolf to roll over off of me still growling. I jumped back as it snapped again and brought my Axe around to slash it across the muzzle. It yipped and backed off some giving me some space. Covered in dust and grime, I paced around in a circle again done with this fight now. Its hit points were almost gone and one more strike should do it. I mustered the energy reserves I had left and darted forward my Battle Axe flashing as I slashed at the Wolf yet again. As it dodged I followed that up with a backswing which I then spun into another swing. Pressed into the defensive with this onslaught the Wolf didn’t have a chance to snap at me again.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111565
    •  Battle: 8 (HIT!)
    •  MOB: 1 (CRITICAL MISS!)
  • Wolf: HP 2/80 | DMG 24   (-3 HP)

Edited by Mortambo

I slashed again and moved to the right, and the Wolf leaped backwards. I leapt into the air again for an overhead swing and while the wolf easily dodged instead of following through I twisted my slash to the side I saw it dodging towards. As I slashed him this last time, it finally de-rezzed and sighed in relief. I leaned on my Axe, out of breath for a moment before looking across the way to Sunetra, who had woken up from their nap and had at least seen me finish off the Wolf. As I added the loot to my inventory, the fire cat walked up to me leaving behind a trail of cat paws perfectly burned into the ground and let out a questioning meow. “Mrow?” “Yeah, let’s keep going and get you trained up. Hopefully we don’t run into any more of those guys.” They jumped up on my arm and slipped back into my hood, snuggling down In the cloth there.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111566
    •  Battle: 7 (HIT!)
    •  MOB: 7 (HIT!)
  • Wolf: HP 0/80 | DMG 24   (-3 HP)
    • Attack: 24 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG (Killed before attack could land)

Loot Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111567
    •  Craft: 6 
    •  Loot: 13 + 2 = 15
  • Results
    • 400 Col
    • 2 T1 Materials
    • 1 Unidentified Rare Weapon [111567A]
    • 1 Unidentified Uncommon Consumable [111567B]

Edited by Mortambo

As we began walking, I realized I wasn’t sure which direction to go in now. I stopped for a moment trying to orient myself since we were sort of off the map to find the rock I wanted to train at. I wasn’t sure but after a little bit I set off in a direction anyway. It wasn’t long until I starting seeing some landmarks I recognized. Good I picked the right direction. I felt Sunetra’s warmth as they put their paws and head on my shoulder to watch where we were going as well. Suddenly, they perked up and it caused me to stop and look around. “Wow, a treasure chest. That’s awesome!” I walked over to it to check it out. I wonder if these things can be trapped. How would I even check for that? Shrugging to myself, I began to try what I could to open the chest.

Out of Combat Regeneration:

Spoiler
  • Mortambo: HP 154/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD 2  
    • +10 HP
    • 1/3 posts until Energy refills

Treasure Chest:

Spoiler
  • ID 111571
    • Loot: 14 + 2 = 16 (SUCCESS!)
  • Results: Treasure Chest Found

Edited by Mortambo

I opened the chest very wary of any traps and ready to jump back out of the way if anything happened. Sunetra just gazed over my shoulder curiously. I waited a tense moment and nothing happened so I leaned forward to look inside to. “Nice, some more col and some items. Man, is it expensive to get stuff identified though.” I put them into my inventory and then Sunetra and I continued on our way. I started humming a little to myself and enjoying the day as my health began to refill after the combat. I think that fight went surprisingly well. Granted that is mainly due to Macradon’s amazing armor that he made me rather than my skill. I mean if the Wolf had been able to do real damage, the fight took so long that I would have been at risk of dying. I need to learn how to finish fights like Miss Neo.

Spoiler

Mortambo: HP 160/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD 2  

• +10 HP
  • 2/3 posts until Energy refills

Treasure Chest Opening:

Spoiler
  • ID 111572
    • Loot: 13
  • Results
    • 200 Col
    • 5 T1 Materials
    • Unidentified Rare Weapon [111572A]
    • 2 x Unidentified Rare Consumables [111572B][111572C]

Edited by Mortambo

I guess that will come with getting a few more levels. As my thoughts finished, I crested the hill and found the wonderful weirdly shaped rock that almost looked like my forge. I pushed another rock over to be an “anvil” and set Sunetra down. “Okay, now I want you to help me keep this metal heated while I tried to work it into something useful.” Sunetra just stared blankly as I pulled out some of my discarded scrap materials I kept just for this purpose. I held the metal out to them and waited until it was red hot. They looked at it rather confused as I began to shape it and as the metal cooled, they reached out with their paws to heat it up again. I nodded and said “Yep, that’s it exactly. If you can keep it hot then you’re doing a great job.” I grinned. This was going well.

Spoiler
  • Mortambo: HP 160/160 | EN 16/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD 2  
    • 3/3 posts until Energy refills (ENERGY REFILLED!)

Training Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111573
    • Craft: 10 (SUCCESS!)
  • Total Training Sucesses: 0 + 1 = 1/3

Edited by Mortambo

As I praised them for doing a great job, I realized I was a little hungry. “Time for a break, Su.” I flopped down on the ground and they walked over to me and nuzzled my hand dimming their fire so it was tolerable for me. I got some toast from my inventory and shared it with them as a snack. “We’ve had a wonderful little adventure today so far haven’t we? And now we can take a break, do a little training, and maybe even gather some more materials for the shop.” I finished off the rest of the toast and got up from the rock. “Let’s go see if we can find some more materials.” I wandered down the hill a little in search of materials. Near the base of the hill there was a cave but I didn't immediately see anything useful lying around. 

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  •  ID 111574
    •  Loot: 1 + 2 = 3 (FAIL!)
  •  Total Materials Found: 0

Edited by Mortambo

“Do you think its safe, Sunetra?” All I heard from behind me was a “Mrow” “I’ll take that as a yes.” Creeping slowly forward into the cave I looked around and saw a lot of deposits in the wall of fine ore. However, I didn’t have a pick or anything to mine it with. Hopefully some of the ore on the ground will be useful. Looking around I found a couple of pieces, but going too far in it would start to get rather dark. Sunetra caught up with me and I realized they could light the way. Duh, cat made of fire. Kind of useful in a dark cave. As they caught up with me I realized it wasn’t really enough light to be useful for fighting but would be enough to let me see if there was more good ore on the ground. We crept forward together at a snail’s pace.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111576
    •  Loot: 18 + 2 = 20 (SUCCESS!)
  •  Total Materials Found: 0 + 1 = 1

Edited by Mortambo

As we slowly crept forward, I stumbled and fell down to my knees. Sunetra stopped as well and looked at me with an almost disappointed look. I shrugged and stood again creeping along the cave. As we looked around I could not see well enough to find any more good ore on the ground. I started to get worried that maybe there would be bats or other monsters in this cave that would swoop down and attack us. “Maybe we should head back, Sunetra, and keep training. I don’t think I can handle another fight like the one with the Wolf.” At that moment, they pawed at something on the ground and I leaned down seeing another good piece of ore. As I bent down to add it to my inventory, I heard something moving deeper in the cave. “Let’s definitely get out of here” I said heading back out the way we came.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111577
    •  Loot: 19 + 2 = 21 (SUCCESS!)
  •  Total Materials Found: 1 + 1 = 2

Edited by Mortambo

Creeping back out the way we came in, I kept an eye out as we reached the mouth of the cave for more materials. Finding nothing useful I sighed. Sunetra and I began wandering back up to the hill. “It’s okay, we’ll look some more after another training session on the top of the hill. I’m sure we’ll be able to find plenty more useful materials. Then when we get back to the workshop you can help me for real instead of just working on this scrap material I have.” Sunetra meowed as we went like they understood me, but I knew it was likely just because I was making noise so they were too. As we crested the hill, I began to prepare to train them again in helping me around the forge. I set out my tools and got some of the scrap material from my inventory ready.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111578
    •  Loot: 5 + 2 = 7 (FAIL!)
  •  Total Materials Found: 2

Edited by Mortambo

Once again I held the scrap up to them until it was red hot and took it over to the rock serving as my anvil. I began to roughly shape it into something and occasionally had Sunetra heat it up again. “Very good job, Sunetra. You are catching on so fast. I’m very proud of you.” I reached down and scratched their head like I might a cat in the real world. They dimmed their flame while I petted them and even so I felt my hand heat and drawing back it was slightly red as if I had sunburned it. “Let’s go take another break and look for more materials. Especially since I have an open order now.” Again they responded as if they understood Sunetra meowed. Smiling, I realized how nice it was to have a companion. I’ll have to thank Miss Neo again for helping me find them.

Training Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111579
    •  Craft: 8 (SUCCESS!)
  • Total Training Sucesses: 1 + 1 = 2/3

Edited by Mortambo

We began down the hill again to search around the mouth of the cave for more good chunks of ore. I didn’t want to venture back in the cave and risk getting attacked by whatever was moving in there. Looking around, I didn’t see anything immediately so I plopped down on a rock and took out another piece of toast. Sunetra meowed and put their paw on my arm asked for some. I took a bite before breaking off a piece to offer them some of the toast. As they munched on it their flame grew brighter and they began to pace around the rock I was sitting on just looking around and occasionally nosing or pawing at things. “Getting restless? I am too so let’s keep looking.” I jumped up and Sunetra followed me as I wandered out further into the forest looking for more good materials for crafting.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111581
    •  Loot: 8 + 2 = 10 (FAIL!)
  •  Total Materials Found: 2

Edited by Mortambo

As we began wandering into the forest, I quickly realized I needed to put Sunetra back in my hood. I motioned for them to jump up and they leaped onto my arm and scrambled back in the hood sticking their head out and laying it on my shoulder. As we wandered deeper into the forest I tried to keep within sight of the hill to be sure we could go back there to finish Sunetra’s training. Looking around, I was reminded a little of the <<Garden>> I had walked through and started looking for branches as well as ore bearing rocks. I spied some branches up in one of the trees so I climbed up very quickly and retrieved a straight solid piece of wood that would make a great handle for a weapon. Climbing quickly down, I felt Sunetra shift in my hood. Huh, I must have knocked them around some climbing the tree.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111582
    •  Loot: 20 + 2 = 22 (SUCCESS!)
  •  Total Materials Found: 2 +1 = 3 T1

Edited by Mortambo

“I’m sorry, Sunetra, I’ve got to get more used to you being back there.” I felt them playfully swat my ear and it heat up a little. “Ow! Well I’ll take that to mean I’m forgiven. Sheesh.” I felt their warmth on my shoulder as we continued wandering and looking for materials. The forest around us was alive with small animals and birds singing softly although they fell silent as we approached wary of our presence. I scanned the forest floor for good materials while keeping an eye on the hill and staying within sight of it. I found some herbs and bent down, smelling them. They were just like the ones I found in the <<Garden>>. I picked them up to take to a Cook later and get some delicious food made. All I had right now was toast and a few other very simple things. Even the toast could be more delicious though, I thought remembering Miss Neo’s Golden Toast.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111583
    •  Loot: 15 + 2 = 17 (SUCCESS!)
  •  Total Materials Found: 3 +1 = 4 

Edited by Mortambo

We circled back around towards the hill to head back for another round of training, still looking for more materials as we went. My pace slowed and I just enjoyed walking through the forest whistling merrily and looking around. I felt Sunetra playful swat at my ear again and laughed. “Yeah, let’s get this done and then we’ll head back home and just have fun for a while.” Grinning we passed the cave again and I saw a stray piece of ore on the ground. Quickly picking it up and putting in my inventory I continued to climb up to the hill top. Glancing around I took in this part of the forest and oddly except for my fight with the Wolf this had been a very peaceful adventure. “Well let’s get back to training, Sunetra. We should be done soon and then we can head home.” I grinned and lifted her out of my hood setting her back on the "forge" rock.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111584
    •  Loot: 15 + 2 = 17 (SUCCESS!)
  •  Total Materials Found: 4 +1 = 5 

Edited by Mortambo