KEEN
           +1 BD AFTER SUCCESSFUL ATTACK UNTIL NEXT SUCCESSFUL ATTACK
      +1 ACC

ARMOR
» [EQUIPPED] CRIMSON CLOAK (RARE)
      +9 MIT
      +1 EVA

WEAPONS
» [EQUIPPED] "MINOR OCULUS" - TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD (RARE)
     ➥ +1 DMG
     ➥
 BLEED

FAMILIAR
» [EQUIPPED] SWINE BAJESUS R2
     ➥ +2 ACC

BATTLE READY ITEMS
» T1 POTION OF UNCOMMON QUALITY (5)
     ➥ HEALS 40 HP

Bahr's eye twitched as he approached the biggest lake in the fields of Floor One, his patience reaching its maximum with the seemingly endless string of deliveries that had been designed to teach him the basics of the game. Perhaps it was his fault for spending two years hanging out before doing anything. Perhaps it was his fault for completing other, more challenging quests before these. Or perhaps, it was just super annoying to have his hand held through menial tasks such as these. He appraoched Ol' Pete, literally tossing the fishing pole at the old coot. To Bahr's surprise, the man caught it without even looking while simultaneously pulling a big fish out of the water. Epic. Perhaps this was an NPC worth listening to.

Bahr sat on the ground as he waited patiently for the fisherman to secure his catch, taking it off of the hook and stashing it in his inventory. The fish had left a gooey oil on the Ol' Pete's hand. Gross.

"So you want to learn how to fish, do ya?" the old man inquired with an oddly serious tone.

"Not really," Bahr admitted, "I kinda just want to complete the quest so I can level u-"

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE FISHING!"

"Uhh, wha-"

"YOU DON'T HAVE WHAT IT TAKES!"

"Look dude, I just want to complete the que-"

"If you think you have what it takes, you're gonna need to prove it. Hop aboard my ship!"

Ship was a strong word. It was just a regular boat, probably only big enough for the two of them. Not really wanting to deal with an annoying argument against a computer generated AI element, Bahr simply sighed and got in. Moments later, Ol' Pete had taken them out to the middle of the lake.

"It's all in the back, you see," Ol' Pete said as he cast his line. The bobbing element splooshed against the water some distance away. "Then you just gotta keep your eye on the boober."

"I'm sorry, did you mean 'bobber?'" Bahr inquired coyly.

"That's what I said, the boober. Clean the gunk out of your ears, youngin'!" the old man replied sternly. Bahr couldn't help but to start laughing. "Don't laugh at me you disrespectful flaccid little [expletive]! I've been doing this my entire life, I'm the expert here!" That just made Bahr laugh even harder.

Suddenly, the tension on the line became really intense. They both diverted their focus to the line as Ol' Pete struggled to fish it up. Using a technique where he reeled in the line while moving the pole forward, then yanking it back, then letting the pole go forward again as he continued to reel in the line, the object slowly came closer and closer to the surface. Their eyes glimmered with anticipation as the line finished getting pulled in to reveal... a boot. Seriously, it was just a boot.

Spoiler

ID: 119175
CD: 4

Failed to fish up Swordfish.

Edited by Bahr

"I thought you were some sort of grandmaster fisherman, dude!" Bahr exclaimed.

"I am, 'dude!'" the fisherman retorted in an embarrassed tone, hastily unhooking the boot.

"What's up with the boot, then, Pete!?" Bahr snapped angrily.

"Sometimes that happens, it can't be helped!" Pete stammered, casting the line out again.

"Aaauuughhh! I need to get this quest done quickly and they send me out here with this amateur!" Bahr cried into the air, clutching his head in frustration.

"What, you think you could do better?" the fisherman retorted coldly.

"I don't even have the Skill, man!"

"Then shut up and let me work, numbskull!"

Bahr was seriously going to murder this man. Could you drown an NPC? Was this the sort of NPC that would respawn? If he killed it, then came back later after it respawned, would it remember him? Would being an orange player make it difficult to get into town? These were all thoughts that flashed through Bahr's head as he struggled to grapple with the frustrating implications of the quest.

Spoiler

ID: 
CD: 4

Edited by Bahr

They sat in silence for quite awhile, essentially ignoring each others' presence, hoping the endeavor would be over soon. It was one thing for Bahr to have to talk to an NPC to get the quest details or something like that, but to actually be trapped on a boat with one until the quest was completed was an entirely new challenge. And the quest that required such a feat of patience? Why, of course it involved the most irritable, rude, inconsiderate old curmudgeon! Bahr rolled his eyes as Pete muttered something to himself under his breath. He could have argued, but all the commotion would just make it take longer for the fish to bite.

Instead, he just sat in silence, waiting for the next bite and hoping it was a good one. If Pete fished up another boot, he'd have a difficult time not simply hopping out of the boat and swimming to the shore to get away from the old butthole.

Spoiler

ID: 119179
CD: 2

Edited by Bahr

Silence, silence, and more silence. It was becoming unbearable. But if he said anything, he'd get a loud earful from Pete about how he needed to be patient if he wanted to fish, which would ironically scare all of the fish away, meaning they would need to wait longer. This was easily the most boring quest he had been on so far.

It reminded him of when he was a child, and his father had taken him ice fishing. It was dreadfully cold, even with the little hut they had set up on the ice over the hole they drilled. They sat there in silence for hours before they got a bite. And just when something was on the other end of the line, it snapped, and they were left with nothing. They sat again in silence for several more hours before his father finally said it was time to go home. From sun up to sun down, they had spent the entire day in the cold, in silence, doing nothing but looking at a bobber. Bahr had hated fishing ever since.

Spoiler

ID: 

Edited by Bahr

In fact, Pete reminded Bahr of his father in more ways than that. They were both stern and harsh with their words, never hesitating to belittle anyone with lesser experience than their own. Arguing with them was impossible because they would stick to their guns no matter how ridiculous their contention was. In their mind, they were right, even when they knew they were wrong. Bahr wondered just how much of these traits had rubbed off on him, and whether or not his children would have to endure the same mental gymnastics from him that he had put up with when it came to his father. Then again, he still loved his dad, and knew that he had always meant the best and truly cared for his children. When it really came down to it, he would always help them in times of need, no matter what the situation. Bahr cast a glance over to Pete, who was still intently focused on his line. He wondered if Pete shared this trait as well.

Oh crap, was he growing attached to Pete?

Spoiler

ID: 119182

Edited by Bahr

Suddenly, the line snapped against the tension of a bite, and Pete unexpectedly leaned back harshly against its pull.

"Oh this is a good one!" Pete exclaimed, straining against the force of whatever was on the other end of the line.

"If this is another boot, Pete, I swear to God!" Bahr yelled back excitedly.

"This ain't a boot, boy! Git ready!" he yelled as a swordfish leaped out of the water and into the boat.

"Woah! You weren't kidding!"

"Kill it!"

"What? No, you kill it! You're the fishing expert!"

"Idiot! If I could kill it, why would I have you come along? For the 'fun' of this little adventure we've been having!?"

The swordfish flopped around menacingly.

Spoiler

Encounter: Swordfish
HP: 35
DMG: 50 (on first successful hit) / 5

"Aauuughhh! You're gonna owe me big time for this, Pete!"

Spoiler

ID: 119184
CD: 7

Swordfish appeared!

Edited by Bahr

Without skipping a beat, Bahr activated his Disguise Skill, cloaking him and making him appear invisible. It would only last for a moment, but it appeared to work. The fish blubbered about before launching forward with its razor sharp point, barely missing Bahr and landing on the far side of the boat. Disguise faded, but it had given Bahr enough time to charge up one of his new Sword Skills - Cyclone. He spun on his heal and swing the blade violently around himself in a circular pattern, carving into the fish four times in a row with ease. Unfortunately, he had also poked a hole in the bottom of the boat.

"You idiot!" he heard Pete's voice call out behind him. He groaned in response.

"What is it now, old man!?" Bahr bellowed, "Can't you see I'm busy beating up your stupid fish?" He was really starting to grow tired of the old fellow.

Spoiler

Bahr
HP: 240/240 | EN: 24-4=20
DMG: 6 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 14
Disguise Cooldown: Turn 0 of 3

Bahr used [x4] Cyclone, -4 EN

Swordfish: HP: 35-32=3/53 | DMG: 50 | ID: 119189 | BD: 10+3=13, Crit for 8x4=32 DMG | MD: 7-1-1=5, Miss

Edited by Bahr

"You poked a hole in the boat!" the fisherman exclaimed as he gestured around with his hands wildly.

"Yeah, so what? We can just swim back if we have to. You're the one who wanted to fight a fish on a freaking boat, anyway!" was Bahr's frustrated retort.

"Yeah, okay! We can do that! If you want to fight an entire lake of those things!"

"Oh, crap!"

"Yeah!"

"I gotta kill it fast, then!"

"Yeah!"

"Okay!"

Bahr looked back to the fish and found that it was now in a small puddle of water that was progressively getting worse. "Crap!"

"Yeah!"

"You are not helping at all!"

"Oh yeah!?"

"Yeah!"

"Fine!"

"Finally!"

Bahr swung wildly at the boat, striking the fish and killing it, but unfortunately making the hole even bigger. "Oh my god, why!?"

"Now look what you did!"

"Still not helping!"

"Well what do you expect me to do!?"

"Just start paddling back to shore, I have a plan!"

"Don't tell me what to do, young man!"

"SERIOUSLY PETE WE DON'T HAVE TIME! JUST MOVE!"

"Fine!"

It was time for Bahr to do what he did best - stick his arm through a hole.

Spoiler

Bahr
HP: 240/240 | EN: 24+1-1=24
DMG: 6 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 14
Disguise Cooldown: Turn 1 of 3

Bahr used a normal attack, -1 EN

Swordfish: HP: 3-8=0/35 | DMG: 50 | ID: 119204 | BD: 10+3=13, Crit for 8 DMG - Swordfish defeated

Edited by Bahr

He shoved his arm into the hole, effectively plugging it and slowing down the incoming water by a tremendous degree. Pete finally obliged and got on the paddles, slowly beginning to row them back to shore.

"I really didn't like how you treated me just now!"

"Oh my god, Pete, seriously!?"

"You were extremely rude! I've heard you're rude to every NPC you meet, too!"

"Pete for the love of... Dude, I don't even talk to the other NPCs! You're the only one I've had an actual conversation with!"

"Well, aren't I just 'lucky!' To be treated like crap by you for even longer than all the other NPCs have to tolerate!"

"Dude, I talk to you more because I like you more!" Bahr was a little surprised that that had come out of his mouth. He supposed it was true, though. Even if all they did was yell at one another.

"This is how you treat the people you like! I call bullcrap!"

"It's true!"

"Well then, why don't you explain to me why that is, then!"

"Only if you stop yelling!"

"I'll stop when you stop!"

"Oh my god, Pete!"

"You're still yelling!"

"FOR THE LOVE OF- Okay fine. Fine. I'm cool."

"It's about time!"

"Now you're still yelling!"

"And you're yelling again, too!"

"PETE!"

"Alright fine! Now, explain yourself."

"Look, you just remind me a lot of my dad, okay? I know you're just a program, so I don't really expect you to understand, but I love this. My dad and I used to argue just like this all the time, but we both knew there was love behind it."

"I ain't got no love for you! Are you nuts? Nobody has ever boondoggled this quest so badly!"

"I love you too, old man!"

"Oh, shut up already, numbskull!"

As they started to near the shore, Bahr realized that he had started feeling some sort of strange sensation on his arm. He tried to figure out what it was for a moment before a realization dawned on him.

"Uuhhh Pete?"

"Quit yer bellyaching, we're almost there!"

"But Pete-"

"I said be patient! We'll be at the shore in a minute!"

"PETE SOMETHING HAS LATCHED ONTO MY ARM!"

"WHAT!?"

"YEAH!"

"You sure about that?"

"FREAKING POSITIVE PETE PLEASE HURRY!"

"I'm already going as fast as I can!"

Pete started to row a little bit slower.

"DUDE COME ON!"

"Alright, fine! Whippersnappers these days can't even handle a little fish bite. Sheesh..."

As they reached the shore, Bahr felt the grip the creature had on his arm loosen until it had released him completely. He let loose a sigh of relief and pulled his arm out of the hole just before they reached the shore.

"Sweet land! Oh, sweet land!" Bahr cried as he threw himself onto the soil, practically caressing it. "I'll never leave you again, I swear."

"Ahem!"

Bahr's expression shifted from one of elation and relief to one of dread and contempt. "You can't be serious. What is it now?"

"I demand that you fix my ship!"

"What!? I'm not fixing your boat!"

"Well, you better!"

"Yeah? Or what?"

"Maybe you haven't noticed, but the quest you accepted hasn't been marked as completed yet."

"You're kidding me..."

"Not even a little bit! Fix my ship!"

"That is not a ship! That is a boat!"

"Fix it, or no quest completion!"

"Fine!"

"And apologize to my ship for calling it a boat!"

"What!?"

"You heard me!"

"I am not apologizing to your boat!"

"Ship!"

"Whatever!"

"No apology, no quest completion!"

"You're insane!"

"You're not wrong, but I've stated my terms!"

Bahr flailed his limbs in frustration.

"Fine!"

Pete flailed his limbs around in a mocking manner.

"FiNe!"

Bahr looked at the boat in disdain. Was he really about to apologize to a computer rendered inanimate object?

"Boat, err, ship. I'm, uhh, sorry for calling you a boat."

"Say it like you mean it!"

Oh my god, 
Bahr thought to himself, is this how I die? Bahr stood tall and saluted the boat.

"Pete's Ship, sir! Please accept my sincerest apologies for calling you a boat, sir! It won't happen again, sir!"

Pete burst into a fit of laughter, rolling around on the ground and kicking his feet like a toddler. "I can't believe you actually did it! Ahahaha!"

"I did what you asked, now mark my quest completed!"

Pete jumped back up to his feet, his expression again completely serious. "You still haven't fixed my boat!"

"You just called it a boat!"

"No, I didn't!"

"Apologize!"

"I'm not apologizing to a freaking boat!"

"You just said it again!"

"What?"

"Boat! You called it a boat!"

"Are you calling my ship a boat again!?"

"No, you are!"

"Don't make me make you apologize again!"

Bahr had just started ignoring Pete, at this point. He got to work on fixing the boat, not exactly sure how to tackle it. He gathered chunks of driftwood and mashed them into the hole he had created, using mud as a bonding agent of some sort to hold it all together. While he was in the middle of repairing it, it respawned right before his eyes in perfect physical condition. He knew it wasn't his work - the boat must have had its own timer.

"There, see? All done."

"You didn't do this," Pete said as he inspected the vessel.

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't do this. It repaired itself."

"What's the difference?"

"I wanted you to do it."

"I didn't have the time, Pete, it reset on its own."

"That's not my problem!"

"You're right, it isn't! There doesn't seem to be any problem here. So what gives?"

Pete grumbled to himself as though mentally working through his options. 

"Fine. I'll mark you quest completed," he admitted reluctantly as a quest completion panel populated in front of Bahr. "Now scram."

Bahr eyed the panel happily, dismissing it after he was sure that it was finally over. He gave the man a nod. "Uhh, thanks. I guess."

"I said get lost," the curmudgeon said as he crossed his arms and turned away from Bahr. "I won't tell you a third time."

"Alright, well, see you never I guess."

As Bahr started to walk away, he heard Pete's voice call out behind him.

"You come back, y'hear? I'll have a fishing pole waiting for ya."

Bahr turned back with a slightly surprised look on his face before simply grinning and giving the old man a thumbs up. Pete issued his own thumbs up in kind before casting his line back out into the water.

There wasn't much time left in the day, but Bahr didn't feel like turning in just yet. He wasn't exactly sure what he wanted to do, all he knew was that he wanted to do something. Perhaps he could go looking around for one of those treasure chests that had been popping up in random places. From what he had been picking up from the rumor mill, you could pick up some of the most wondrous items from these drops. In need or a new weapon, Bahr had been trying to figure out how to located ne of these chests so he could hopefully procure something worthwhile.

If he got a new weapon, he wondered what sorts of enhancements it would have. It wasn't that he didn't like his, just that he knew that better ones were out there. His trusty blade had carried him through many adventures, but he couldn't help but feel like perhaps it would soon be time to retire the old thing and start using something newer and more modern.

Spoiler

ID: 119240
LD: 9

Material search failed.

Edited by Bahr

If he wanted to find a treasure chest, Bahr knew that he was going to need to change his equipment to improve his odds. Opening up his menu and navigating to the equipment panel, he swapped out his light armor for his Pantaloots and his trinket for Luck of the Irish. 

The pants fit a little more... snug... than he remembered. Was it possible to gain weight in the virtual world? No, right? At least, that was what he hoped. He had been eating a lot of unhealthy food as of late... He honestly couldn't help it. Fake or not, it was absolutely delicious. 

With his new equipment put on, he was already beginning to feel more lucky. He felt most assured that he would be able to find the treasure chest he desired with no complications whatsoever. However, as usual, this was just his inflated sense of optimism that typically accompanied his luck high. 

Spoiler

INVENTORY
TRINKETS
» 
[EQUIPPED] LUCK OF THE IRISH (RARE)
      RECOVERY 1
           +1 EN GAIN ON CD ROLLS OF 6+
      +1 LD

ARMOR
» [EQUIPPED] PANTALOOTS (RARE)
      +2 LD

WEAPONS
» [EQUIPPED] "MINOR OCULUS" - TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD (RARE)
     ➥ +1 DMG
     ➥
 BLEED

FAMILIAR
» [EQUIPPED] SWINE BAJESUS R2
     ➥ +2 ACC

Edited by Bahr

Although, before he looked for a treasure chest, perhaps it would behoove him to take a quick glance around for any materials that could be lying about. After all, he was going to need all he could get if he wanted his shop to be successful. And while people had the option of paying with materials, Bahr did prefer if they paid in col, seeing as that was what he always seemed to come up short on. 

He moseyed around the field for a bit, lazily glancing around in the hopes of finding something he could use in his line of work. To his dismay, there didn't seem to be anything usable around. He couldn't complain too much, seeing as he wasn't taking the search very seriously. In fact, he was pretty tired after the day he had had. For a grumpy old man, Pete could keep up really well. 

Spoiler

ID: 119241

LD: 6+3=9

Material search failed. 

Edited by Bahr