[SP-F1] Earning a Living

As Felix walked the streets of the town of beginnings he felt curious about what he would possibly do with his time, he had tried combat but equipped with only a wooden stick he had got nowhere. "Man, this is a huge place! And it's only the First Floor!" he exclaimed. He strolled down the road, sweeping his eyes for anything out of the blue. "My boy, look 'e here!" an NPC called, intrigued Felix walked over.

"See anything to your liking?" he questioned. Felix, being an avid lover of MMORPG's was quite puzzled at the array of vials and jars before him. I didn't think SAO had magic?! "Hey, I know I probably sound rude, but what are these?" he inquired. "My, my, these are potions and poisons!" "Can you tell me more?" "These are used to restore HP, increase damage and a million other things." Felix - always a curious lad - was instantly drawn to the idea of alchemy.

It seems I've found what I'm looking for he thought.

"Sir, may I be so bold to ask that you take me as your apprentice?" Felix requested. After an awful lot of persuasion and gold the NPC finally accepted Felix. "Here boy, you sleep here" he pointed to a sack of hay at the side of the living room. "Hey, I'll be bitten to death on that thing!" Felix exclaimed. "Live with it boy."

The following days that passed Felix grew more understanding at what plants and items had what effect in SAO, where to find and harvest them. He realized many of the plants he had walked past in the fields had amazing properties. This led him to wonder at all those who must have died with life-giving creatures and plants just beside them, all too oblivious to their saviors that could have helped them. Felix realized that by growing his knowledge, educating the oblivious and selling HP boosts he could help stop people dying.

Driven by this wish set off to obtain more knowledge of the nature of HP and how it can be manipulated. Always helping where he can and gathering more and more potent and rare ingredients to experiment with.

After trading for some basic alchemical tomes and recipes around the Town of Beginnings, Felix began compiling them into one Alchemical Grimoire - a journal of ideas, recipes and results of experiments.

Felix began the laborious task of walking around Floors 1 to 4, waving his staff at monsters that came close and shouting (running and screaming if they insisted) while trying to find ingredients listed in the Grimoire for experimentation.

After the fourth attempt at trying to obtain Sand Shrew Venom on Floor 3 he sighed to himself "Man, I need to get myself some friends who CAN fight..."

Felix slumped onto a nearby tree stump of Floor 2 and gazed at the nearest cow-thing. "Phew.. Well that took a while." He scrolled through his inventory - Wind Wasp Sting x 2, Cow Patty x 3, etc. He wondered how long it had taken him to gather all the required materials for the recommended Basic Health Potion. "This is not goin' to be an easy task, that's for sure." he sighed and looked at the blazing sun.

Then he had an epiphany - he had seen all the shops and stores around town - "Why don't I just make a store and get people to trade me these items or just bring them to me for a potion?!" he literally jumped for joy before hitting his foot on the stump. "AH MY AH AH AH AHHHH" he shouted before wiggling his foot and realizing the stump was rotten and had not jarred his foot. He looked around, embarrassed, and quickly strode off away just to make sure.

-- EDIT: Was too caught up in telling the story I forgot about the combat system :oops: don't worry I remember later on.

After a long trek through Floor 2 and the rambling Town of Beginnings he got back to his Sensei's house. "My boy, you've returned!" exclaimed the old man. "Aye, Sensei. This was no small feat - gathering these materials and items" replied Felix. "Let's have a look at them then, boy" Felix quickly scrolled through his menu and deposited the items on the thick wooden desk in the living room of the house. "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT SMELL?!" the old man exclaimed, covering his nose frantically. "Umm.." Felix gingerly poked the mess that had formed on the table. "Alchemy? he replied.

It turns out most of the materials Felix was carrying had combined on the table due to the alchemical residue left on the table, for this was the place Sensei created his own tinctures for sale. Shortly after the table was replaced by a new, oak table and Felix was outside, several items shorter than when he went inside. He kicked the ruined table beside him in frustration. "OH MY GOD AH AH AHHH AHH" Felix exclaimed, hopping about and falling over into the street. He scrambled to his feet and quickly strode away from the people staring at him, oblivious to the goop from the table stuck to his shoe.

He spends the rest of his time trying to gather more components for a new concoction. He decides he will walk down to the Floor 1 fields and try to kill a few 'weak' enemies.

He spots a wild boar about 20 feet away and gets into a ready stance, staff held out in front of him in an aggressive postition. The boar spots him and they face each other off. After a few seconds the boar charges him and Felix swings his staff in an intercepting arc.

1-5 failiure

6-8 hits

9-10 critical

[3]

Felix misjudges the speed of the boar and it goes careering into him. "Ah!" he exclaims and falls to the ground into a more defensive position, staff held slanting backward to block.

He springs up quickly, seeing the boar move side on as it is turning around. "I've got you now!" he tells it. "There's no way you're getting out of this, beast!". The staff moves down to crack the boar on the head.

Boar HP: 4

Darkwood HP: 3

1-5 miss

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[7]

The staff connects and the boar spins off backwards.

"Yes! I've got you now!" Felix exclaims. "Run while you have the chance!" The boar takes no heed and gets up, circling Darkwood menacingly, crimson eyes boring (get the pun? :D) into Felix's dark brown eyes with absolute hatred.

Boar HP -1

The boar strikes first, leaning backwards slightly and powering itself towards Felix unrelentingly. It goes for his leg, neck outstretched and mouth open. Felix instinctively falls backwards, trying to get away, his arm moving in a round, striking movement.

Boar HP: 3/4

Darkwood HP: 3/4

1-5 miss

6-8 hit

9-10 crit

[9]

Darkwood's hand meets the boar's face with immense strength, the boar rolls away under the force and Felix follows through, spinning once again into a kneeling position and straightens upright, leaning casually on his staff. "Still gonna go on little piggy?" he taunts.

Boar HP - 2

Felix realizes that a wounded animal is the most dangerous animal as the boar starts dribbling green saliva onto the ground. The animal seems to have regained its fighting spirit and looks ready to give this attack his all. Darkwood realises if the boar attacks first it has a much greater chance of winning.

He lunges with his staff, aiming to whack the boar right in the sternum with the slightly pointed tip of the staff.

1-5 miss

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[9]

The staff whips forwards before the boar can react and with such damage the boar flies into the air and bursts into shards.

Boar Health - 2

"Oh yeah! That's how it's done!" screams Felix in triumph.

LOOT

1-5 Nothing

6-10 Boar bone

11-15 Bottle of Boar's Saliva

16-20 Bottle of Boar's Saliva & Boar's Tusk

[19] ----^

"SWEET" exclaims Felix. "Now I can start again after that catastrophe with the table.."

COL

19*5 = 95 Col

Felix has a quick kip on the ground away from danger and looks through what he got as loot. He compares it to his Grimoire. "Boar's Saliva.. I guess that is a emulsifying agent for diluting potions or mixing ingredients. This is a lot like those Chemistry classes I used to do...." Darkwood trails off, lost in thought.

A bird lands nearby and he snaps out of it. "Now, what have we here? A Boar's Tusk? OK this is... A catalyst for healing! Great! I can grind this up for my first health potion!"

A few minutes later and HP recovered Darkwood sets out for another boar hunt. "This time I'm expecting big things. From the looks of what I just got there's a lot of good loot around. The thing is not many people would know what to do with it and end up discarding the stuff.. What a waste." he sighs.

"Hey! I leveled up! Oh yeah these boars have no chance now." he realised with joy.

Darkwood HP = (2*2)+3 = 7

Felix then spots another Lv.1 boar to fight. "Here's another boar. How about that." said Darkwood. He ran over to said boar and confronts it head on. He confidently swings the staff overhead and brings it down on the bewildered boar.

1-5 fail

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[1]

The weight of the staff suddenly shifts in Felix's hands, causing him to slip and fall over, spinning. He comes down head over heels onto the tusks of the stationary boar.

Darkwood HP - 2

The boar is actually so confused that this crazy man in strange robes has forced himself onto it's tusks that the guy wants to die.

Darkwood HP: 5/7

Boar HP: 4/4

As Felix once again curses the fact that he had the misfortune to have been given a bloody piece of wood as his weapon. He scrambles to his feet, shaking his head to clear the stars. The boar seizes the chance to quickly end the crazy's life and jumps towards his exposed chest.

1-5 miss

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[8]

Felix sees the boar's legs tensing just in time to spin left. As the boar flies past him Darkwood's foot connects and delivers a blow to the boar.

Boar HP - 1

Boar HP: 3/4

Without losing momentum Darkwood dives at the boar, bringing his staff down over his head to crack the boar on the backside. The boar senses movement behind him and lifts his hind legs to kick the foolish man.

1-5 miss

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[6]

The tip of the staff only just scrapes the back of the boar but does damage nonetheless. The boar sends out a terrible shrill that caused some players to actually think some sort of event was occurring. "Forgive me, creature, that was pretty harsh." apologized Felix.

Boar HP - 1

Boar HP: 2/4

It is a well known fact that a pig is very fond of the integrity of its bottom, like many creatures and did not at all like the event that had just occurred. The enraged boar bared its teeth, turned around and went for the left shoulder of Darkwood. Felix took a couple of steps back to give the boar some space as now it was really mad. Felix took up a pretty pathetic stance because he felt sorry for the boar, even if he knew he shouldn't.

1-5 fail

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[5]

The poor stance gave the enraged boar a clear shot at the shoulder. It's teeth connect perfectly and deal heavy damage to Felix in its anger. Darkwood cries out in agony as it hurt much more than he thought it would.

Darkwood HP - 2 (I feel sorry for the boar.)

Darkwood HP: 3/7

Boar HP: 2/4

Now Darkwood was enraged like the boar he decided to call Patrick, due to a similar incident that happened in the real world. "That bloody hurt!" Felix shouts "You're going down Patrick.". Felix lifts his foot to kick the boar with all his strength. The boar gives a glare of pure loathing and powers forwards in a haze of bloodlust.

1-5 miss

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[9]

(You knew this was coming) Darkwood screams the cliche'd line at the top of his lungs - "THIS IS SPARTAAAA". The boot drives the boar into the ground in its charge and it bursts into pixels giving one last howl of resentment before vanishing.

Boar HP - 2

LOOT

1-5 nothing

6-10 Hair of Boar

11-15 Piece of metal

16-20 Boar Saliva

[10]

COL

10*5 = 100 Col

Darkwood falls to the ground, panting heavily. "Dayum, that was intense. Another reason I should have a companion" he whispers between breaths.

After a quick rest and a drink at a nearby tavern, Felix sets out for the plains again, reading the possible alchemic drops he could acquire from the boars. There was a surprising amount. Once Felix reached the sprawling plains of Floor 1 he looked around for a stronger boar to attack. He glanced at his staff and thought 'I can probably go a bit longer with this thing'. He threw a rock at a nearby Lv.2 Boar, larger than the others, causing it to turn in his direction. "Hey pigface! Yeah you! Come at me! he hollered. The boar charged at him head-on and Darkwood put his staff over his shoulder like a baseball bat and sighted the boar's side.

Darkwood HP: 7/7

Boar HP: 7/7

1-5 fail

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[4]

Felix swings but isn't strong enough to cause any damage to the boar. It bounces off and the boar smacks into him. "Oof" he gasps as the breath is forced out of him.

Darkwood HP - 1

Darkwood HP: 6/7

Boar HP: 7/7

The boar stops and Felix rolls away, rising to his feet. "Let's try that again, shall we?" he says. The boar seems to agree by raking the ground and charges once more. Felix tenses his legs in preparation to jump and put the end of the staff to the ground.

1-5 fail

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[10]

Darkwood jumps and uses the staff as a pole to boost his jump height. The boar stops where he was, confused at where he went, and Darkwood falls, silhouetted against the blazing sun like a spirit. Darkwood strikes the boar in the centre of the back, causing huge damage.

Boar HP - 2

Boar HP: 5/7

Darkwood spins and lands on the back of the boar, forcing it into the ground. The boar bucks and tries to throw Felix off. Felix struggles to hang on, drops his staff and goes to drive his elbow into the back of the boar's head.

1-5 fail

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[6]

Felix hangs on, but just. His elbow skims against the side of the boar as it comes down, doing some damage, but not loads. The boar is in a frenzy, for no animal likes to be ridden unless broken. It bucks and goes to roll over, to force Darkwood off.

Boar HP - 1

Boar HP: 4/7

Felix cries out and tries frantically to hang on, as the hit had angered the boar even more, the boar snorting and growing more and more distressed."Jeez, you boars don't half splurge out when things like this happen" Felix said to it. The boar realized that if it rolled over its 'rider' would be forced off.

1-5 fail

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[7]

The boar rolls over, forcing Darkwood off, but Felix quickly recovers and kicks the boar hard in the stomach. The boar cries out in pain and turns to face its tormentor.

Boar HP - 1

Boar HP: 3/7

Felix, seeing himself unarmed and on the floor with the boar staring him down, glaces around for a weapon. He spots his staff just beyond his reach. As he turns to retrieve it he hears the pounding of the boar behind him. He feels the cool wood against his hand, swoops up the staff, points it in the general direction of the noise and closes his eyes.

1-5 fail

6-8 hit

9-10 critical

[3]

The staff misses its target unsurprisingly and the boar whacks Darkwood square in the chest. The force of the blow pushes Felix back slightly but Felix manages to keep a hold of his staff. He says "You were lucky that time, pig, I applaud you. We'll see how you do now I'm on guard!". The pig snorts in reply.

Darkwood HP - 1