[PP-F10] A Flame in the Wind

"The Celestial Ascendants! A guild to help those who need it, for the sake of just helping out!" 

The memory flooded back to him, a smile showing on his face for just a moment. They had so much hope, so much drive. Within only a few months, they were quite well known, accepting and training those who were in need. The new "Square One". The upcoming Scout and Tank, he and Itzal. That time felt so long ago. Before he realized the true horror of this. Those who plotted against those who tried to make it a happier place. 

"Whats that?" A sound caught his ears before he watched dozens of player breakthrough into the clearing, brandishing weapons. His eyes widened as the players bore down on the Ascendants of the Celestial Ascendants.

Strength... A double-edged sword. It brought power and the ability to protect those who needed it. However, with it came the responsibility of using it. Your power meant nothing if you couldn't protect those who you were supposed to. A tear streamed down his face as he threw the Celestial Ascendant patch into the Stygian River, watching it dissolve in the treacherous water. 

Sparks flew off of his blade and he lashed out at an enemy. He bashed the enemy in the face with his shield causing the player to crumple backwards. These players were rather low-leveled at least for a player like him."JONATHAN" a voice screamed. He rapidly turned to find one of the Apprentices, a girl named Violet from the DPS division if he recalled correctly. Within her eyes laid a deep horror, her eyes shedding tears from pure terror. Her weapon had been knocked from her hand. A player advanced on her quickly. He began to move that way, but his body seemed to move in slow motion, the enemies blade sliding down towards the girl's body. With one quick swipe the girl was gone. Nothing but data shards...

In this world, ones only purpose was to preserve. Keeping yourself alive was the only thing you could do. Friends were just something that wasted away, dying or fading into the crowd. He had no one, nothing. The Ascendants, dead. Itzal, gone. Hikoru, away with the shadows. Hestia, gone with the wind. Jonathan was a flame, and a harsh wind pushed through trying to snuff him out. It had cut away his sources, all that was left was his own perseverance.

'"I couldn't save them. I was weak." 

The golden-haired player stood, wearing a jacket and jeans with no weapon at his side. He stood there, staring at the Stygian with an unwavering gaze. Sometimes, nobody realized it was the white knight that truly needed saving. He was too busy saving everyone else that he couldn't save himself. 

@Bahr  

"Wouldn't recommend taking a dip in that," a baritone voice called out, hopefully stirring the blond from whatever mental hell he had trapped himself in. Living on the tenth floor came with its perks; solitude, quiet, relaxed atmosphere, muted lighting. But it had its fair share of drawbacks, as well. Low temperatures, creepy mobs, that infernal respawning Banshee always filling the caves with noise at odd hours of the night, and the occasional suicidal weirdo hanging out at the edge of the Stygian River. Bahr wasn't judgmental of such people. It wasn't as though he hadn't peered into the cryptic creek's murky waters and contemplated the value of his life before. But just as he had managed to rip himself away from the edge, so too did he hope he could help others do the same.

The Edge. There's no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between now or later. But the edge was still out there. And with any luck, today wouldn't be the day this man found it.

"Name's Bahr," he stated as he joined the man at the riverbank, standing side by side with him. "You do what you gotta do, but you'd better at least give me a name first. Can't die in front of a complete stranger, right?"

He had teamed up with his own enemy, figuring he was the one doing the manipulating. He had been wrong. Chaos had caught him with ease, placing a desire of his on the line. It was just as Aya told him, he was the Sin of Greed. He was the one willing to do anything to get exactly what he wanted. 

The girl stood in front of him, tears streaming down her face. The girl's eyes would widen with horror as she screamed and began to scramble away. A tear in Jonathan's eye would fall down his face as he activated the charge skill. With a newfound burst of speed he would catch the woman in three powerful strides. Swinging his weapon with power and precision, the blade would sweep through the girl's body in one strike. Her body would be horizontally cut in two before it burst into shards that would fall around him.' 

A tear rolled down his own face. Others had to suffer because of his weakness. He had killed someone because he believed his own desire to be of more importance than someones very life. Despite the promise that he had made to Itzal, Hestia, and most importantly himself, he killed someone. 

"To kill somebody when your job as a former tank was to protect the weak. I believe your words to me Morgenstern "We as tanks are the first and last line of defense for those behind us. When we fall so will those behind us." The words that Hestia told him that day. 

"Wouldn't recommend taking a dip in that," a voice spoke, bringing him away from his thoughts. His head would turn to a complete stranger. One with white hair and a laid back expression. 'Great. Who might this idiot be' The character would walk til he stood at his side. He listened as the character introduced himself with the name Bahr. Not one he had heard in his travels. "You do what you gotta do, but you'd better at least give me a name first. Can't die in front of a complete stranger, right?"  Jonathan would take a deep breath. "I don't plan on killing myself. That would be a pathetic end even for me." The blond would crouch down, staring intently at the water. "Even those who are closest to me are nothing but complete strangers." The way this man spoke, let him know that he had yet to experience the pain this world had to offer. He didn't know the meaning of watching everything burn right in front of you and not be able to do anything about it. He didn't know of the nightmare that constantly hung in the air. "Morgenstern." he offered his official name, not the one that was known by his friends. He brought his hand to the vanity katana that he picked up from a mob. He had no skill to use it, but it was his weapon of attonement. 

@Bahr

"Morgenstern," he offered, reaching for a weapon that Bahr had neglected before. Out of pure instinct, Bahr activated Parry, a golden aura flashing into existence around his blade to signify the skill's use. He didn't anticipate any real trouble, but he had no idea who this man was or what he was capable of - despite the familiar sounding name.

Jeez, what a downer, Bahr thought to himself as he absent-mindedly place his hands on his hips. Any more edge and you'd need a-

"And why might that be, Mr. Morgenstern?" he inquired instead, crimson and verdant orbs flickering to the tangerine crystal floating above the youth's head. The symbol of a criminal, traitor, thief, murderer. It set Bahr's teeth on edge, but he had to remind himself that he himself was an orange player in every way except the cursor. His gaze returned again to the visage of the man standing before him, still uncomfortably close to the riverbank, deadpanned eyes and depressed tone belying what was an obvious call for help. 

Unfortunately, Bahr was a pushover.

"I know a place where we can talk. Safer. Smells better, too. Come on."

Perhaps foolishly, he turned his back to the man and began to walk the path back in the direction he had come, beckoning Morgenstern to follow with a nonchalant wave of his hand. The winding trail seemed to spread on for what felt like miles, littered with a visual cacophony of glowing vegetation and luminant crystals that provided lighting to traverse the uneven terrain. Occasionally, Bahr would look back over his shoulder, just to make sure that the man was tagging along.

PARRY: JUSTIFIED RIPOSTE ACTIVATED

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 860/860 | EN: 84-5=79/84 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 54 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 3 | BLEED 1 | PARRY: JUSTIFIED RIPOSTE ACTIVE

He turned upon seeing a flash of light behind him, instinctively pulling out the blade a this side and taking a defensive stance. His breathing hastened as he entered a mindset for battle. If Bahr payed close attention to his eyes, he would find that Jonathan's were filled with pain just as much as they were confident. The blade pointed at the figure brought unwanted memories up from where they dwelt constantly at the back of his mind.  Jonathan analyzed his situation, finding that the flash of light was not from a sword art, but instead a different skill, one that he himself was not familiar with. Slowly sheathing the weapon, he would close his eyes and take a deep breath. "Sorry" This man confused Jonathan. Approaching a complete stranger alone, and then absentmindedly assuming that he intended to kill himself. Jonathan also owned a orange cursor. This man was extremely brave, or extremely foolish. 

"And why might that be, Mr. Morgenstern?" Jonathan sent a glare like daggers at the man. He was not one to share his lifes story with a man he hand't even met. However, he wasn't going to ignore the man. "They haven't been around. It has just been me for a while now" 

"I know a place where we can talk. Safer. Smells better, too. Come on." Jonathan stifled a laugh. "Safer?" There was nothing in Aincrad that frightened him anymore. In fact, he was willing to bet that he was the most dangerous thing on the floor. "Fine, I suppose. I was getting tired of this damned river anyway" He watched the man turn, beginning to walk in a specific direction. 'An absolute fool' he thought to himself. 

The blonde would follow in silence, keeping a short distance away at all times. The long walk reminded him of Rin as they walked through the third floor together. It had been forever since he had seen her, not that he could willingly see her again. She refused to kill even monsters, to know that he ad killed a player....She had been through so much already, enough that it left her broken in a shop on the third floor.

"If you are leading me into a trap, it won't work." he stated plainly for Bahr. At this point, if someone was willingly trying to kill him he would cut them down without hesitation. 

@Bahr

Bahr chuckled at the man's suggestion that he may have been leading him into a trap. "Oooh trust me, Morg. If I'd planned on trapping you, I'd have done a much better job," he chortled as they reached the edge of his property line. "This is the place."

bahronskeep.jpg

Thick foliage and vegetation encircled a clearing, within which a quiet property resided. Two houses blended perfectly into the environment, not visible from the main path and virtually imperceptible unless you knew what to look for. The twin structures shared the same quaint architecture; a foundation comprised of cobblestone with charming wooden features sprouting out from the base. The smaller of the two houses served as the guest house, no light peeking through the tiny square windows due to disuse. The larger house served as housing for the property owner - Bahr - and warm tones of light emanated through its rectangular windows and provided warm illumination for the yard. A stream of smoke could be seen billowing from the master house's chimney, from which it rose in a straight line before being swept away by the steady underground draft that hugged the ceiling of the floor.

The two houses shared a sprawling yard littered with various species of plants, some of which glowed and lightened the winding trail that led outward. In the opposite direction, a wall lined with iridescent crystals illuminated the area with a mellow and soothing ambiance, marking the edge of the property. Cascading betwixt the glowing gems and various flora was a small waterfall, providing a relaxing soundtrack for the area and pooling into a small pond where it fell at the base of the wall. The pond drained off into a small stream that twisted smoothly throughout the yard, disappearing into a small crack in the stone nearby that carried it away from the property.

"It isn't much, but it's home," he remarked, casting a grin toward Morgenstern. "Come on, it's a lot warmer on the inside."

The interior of the main structure would reveal a much homier environment, in stark contrast to the cool and drafty atmosphere just outside its doors. Beautiful display cases ran down the sides of the entryway with dark oak shelving hugging the walls just above them, various pieces of equipment and artifacts on display collected from all over Aincrad. Occasionally, one of Bahr's original works that he had been particularly proud of could be found between the other knick-knacks, Light Armor from the self-proclaimed best Tailor in Aincrad. The overall lighting of the house was low and mellow, with various lighting fixtures dotting each room without compromising the relaxed ambiance. 

He strode through the entryway, hanging up his signature crimson coat on the coat rack near the door before meandering into the den connected to the wide hallway. He settled into an armchair in the parlor and gestured for Morgenstern to take a seat in the armchair that was adjacent to his. 
"So, 'Morgenstern,'" he began, leaning back into the seat and folding his fingers into one another. "What's an orange Frontliner doing hanging out at the virtual River Styx right after clearing the 24th floor?" Each syllable that rolled off of his tongue practically snapped like a whip, eyes narrowing to sharp slits that seemed as questioning as they did perceptive. 

Morgenstern. He knew he had heard the name before. One of the Frontliners - a tank with high damage output. Bahr remembered studying him some time before when he began scrutinizing the Frontlines and the possibility that she may have made her way there. He swore that, at the time he had seen the articles and the images that accompanied them, Morgenstern had a green cursor. Something must have changed between then and now - likely the reason for his uncharacteristic brooding on the lower floors.

He walked behind the man, listening closely as Bahr said that if he was going to trap he would have done a much better job. The notion was light hearted, and actually somewhat amusing. 'Many players don't know that I also have Search abilities, giving me an advantage for those who keep up with my stats. Also, if I dealt with Hikoru, I should be able to spot any oncoming traps'. He refocused when Bahr abruptly stopped moving and said this was the place. Jonathan came to stop next to Bahr and focused his eyes on the view in front of him. Surprisingly within the large foliage resided a couple of buildings. If he hadn't been looking for it specifically, he was almost certain that he would have looked over the cozy home. 

Following the man to the door, Bahr would push open the door leading him inside. The interior of the building was much cozier than the cold and dark exterior. Many decorations lined the house, many of them seeming to be various equipment pieces. It had been a bit since he was in a warm atmosphere. He would watch Bahr hand his coat up and Jonathan would lean his sheathed weapon on the wall. He watched Bahr sit, gesturing the chair in front of his. Inhaling slowly, he would accept the gesture seating himself in the chair. 

Afterwards, a new side of Bahr came to light. He was not one to mince his words. "So, 'Morgenstern,'" The word Morgenstern made him instantly know that he knew more than originally let on. "What's an orange Frontliner doing hanging out at the virtual River Styx right after clearing the 24th floor?" The blonde would simply stare at Bahr for a short moment. "So you know who I am." He wondered if the man knew about the Celestial Ascendants and the entire guilds fate. "I did not clear the 24th floor. I can't take that credit. I've been... away for some time now. Since the Fallen Event and Floor 23" The way the man said Orange made him nervous. That was what Bahr actually wanted he assumed. "I was at the Stygian River to think." He sat there for a moment. 'I need to take control of the conversation or I am just letting myself be interrogated.' He pressed forward his own question without hesitation. "Now 'Bahr'. Who exactly are you, knowing exactly who I am and also having the guts to approach an orange player casually and allow him into your home. Finally, why are you carrying a weapon which looks exactly like Macradon's weapon? I noticed it when walking behind you earlier" Satisfied, he would give the floor back to Bahr. It was time for him to get some info on what was going on with someone else for once. He was tired of being the one getting interrogated by everyone. 

@Bahr

So it was true. Something had happened to Morgenstern. What exactly it was was difficult to say. People had been tricked into going orange on countless occasions in Aincrad, and there was a chance that Morgenstern had suffered a similar fate. After all, he was a tank. Paragon of virtue. Protecting the weak, standing on the front lines of the Frontlines for the good of Aincrad and its people.

Though, there was always the chance that he had become corrupted.

"Now 'Bahr'. Who exactly are you, knowing exactly who I am and also having the guts to approach an orange player casually and allow him into your home. Finally, why are you carrying a weapon which looks exactly like Macradon's weapon? I noticed it when walking behind you earlier."

A crooked grin played across Bahr's face as he digested the man's inquiries. So he knew Macradon as well. Not surprising that two former Frontliners would be in cahoots. But if he knew of this sword, was he aware of what it did to those who wielded it? 

"Come on. Red coat? Ivory hair? Giant sword? There are few willing to sport such a look, given the negative connotation," he boasted, an amused expression masking his visage. "Maybe you would recognize me by my more popular moniker; Bloodedge."

Silence fell upon the room like a thick sheet, intangible pressure settling into every nook and cranny of Bahr's humble abode. He reveled in the tension for a moment before continuing. 

"As for the sword, let's just say it's a keepsake from our mutual friend." Crimson and verdant orbs shifted ever so slightly along the man's face, studying every twitch and minor change in expression. But Bahr knew better than to toy with the youth for too long. Besides, this was about him, not Bahr. "What's with the orange cursor?" he inquired, cutting straight to the heart of the issue. Bahr considered himself the helpful sort, even if his methodology wasn't always well received. 

His eyes stared at the man in front of him. When it came to information, he was was sorely underhanded. This man knew he who he was by name even if not by face. As his question hung through the air, Bahr gave him a twisted grin, as if he was about to reveal something catastrophic. "Come on. Red coat? Ivory hair? Giant sword? There are few willing to sport such a look, given the negative connotation," This guy was really laying it thick. It was actually somewhat amusing. "Maybe you would recognize me by my more popular moniker; Bloodedge." Jonathan blinked. He had never heard the name mentioned everywhere and he had been with all levels of Aincrad at the same time. 

"Bloodedge. Nope. Don't think you are as important as the name leads you to believe." It was a blunt point but it held some form of truth. It sounded as if Macradon's sword had been passed down to Bahr through form of a gift. It wasn't long afterwards that Bahr took back ahold of the conversation, bluntly stating the intention that many people who recognized him had. 

"What's with the orange cursor?"

Inhaling sharply, a silence would blanket the room for a second, Jonathan's eyes and expression darkening. His jaw would tighten as the memory resurfaced, the girls face and scream, tears flowing from eyes as she helplessly sat there as his weapon inched closer. He turned slowly to the blade he had leaned on the wall a few feet away. "Greed. I lost sight of what was truly important, blinded simply by desire. I have regretted it ever since." He had no one to blame but himself. It had taken awhile, but he understood that now. Even if one were to be manipulated, it is still their hand that guides the blade. 

He looked to Bahr before slightly adverting his eyes. "Unlike what you originally suspected, I am not looking for reprieve. I'm looking to atone for what I have done, no matter the cost."

"Greed. I lost sight of what was truly important, blinded simply by desire. I have regretted it ever since."

Greed? Greed was his explanation for severing a human from the mortal coil? That was it? 

Pitiful.

"Unlike what you originally suspected, I am not looking for reprieve. I'm looking to atone for what I have done, no matter the cost."

Bahr scoffed at the comment, settling back into his seat and staring into Morgenstern's eyes. There was an amused expression sprawled across his face, half disbelief, and he slowly shook his head. "Atone, huh?" Bahr articulated, opening up his menu and navigating to the inventory panel. As the windows were dismissed, the Scarecrow's Sickle materialized in his hand, the weight of the weapon causing his forearm to dip for a moment before he adjusted to the pressure. He slowly unsheathed the blade, jamming the tip of the weapon into one of the floorboards between the two. 

"Tell me, did Macradon ever relate the tale of this blade to you?" he began, taking his hand off of the hilt. The blade wobbled for a moment before righting itself, remaining perfectly still. Oddly enough, a low hum - a vibration of sorts - seemed to emanate from it. "It belonged to a man named Ssendom - the Berserker of Aincrad. He was like you, in some ways. Let his darker side take control. He was a menace, and they put him down. That's why Macradon ever had it in the first place."

A pause.

"As for me, I got the title 'Bloodedge' for taking out people like Ssendom. People like you. Orange players. Not the accidental kind, the kind that did it out of selfishness. Depravity. Moral ineptitude. I ask you, do you believe Ssendom wished for atonement? Do you think he wanted to be a better person, only unable to achieve it as his dark side won battle after battle amidst his internal strife?"

"Do you think he ever got it?"

The air grew cold between the two as Bahr continued to stare daggers into Morgenstern. Eventually, a sharp sigh would cut the silence, and his expression would soften.

"I'm hungry. You?"

As he gave the details to his color change, Bahr's facial expressions slowly grew darker. Then, it got brighter, seeming more amused than anything. 'He making fun of me? Does he think he's better than me? Judgement is leaning over there, I could win'. He thought to himself. Bahr stood, going through his inventory before producing a weapon. Macradon's weapon. Jonathan's own eyes darted over to his own weapon. He could take the first hit before getting his weapon. 

"Tell me, did Macradon ever relate the tale of this blade to you?" Jonathan paused for a moment, his eyes shifting back to Bahr. The man slammed the blade in between the floorboards, righting it between them. "I don't even know the name of it" He insisted. "It belonged to a man named Ssendom - the Berserker of Aincrad. He was like you, in some ways. Let his darker side take control. He was a menace, and they put him down. That's why Macradon ever had it in the first place." Jonathan frowned. He had heard the name Ssendom before. 

The blonde remained silent, waiting for Bahr to finish his point. "As for me, I got the title 'Bloodedge' for taking out people like Ssendom. People like you. Orange players. Not the accidental kind, the kind that did it out of selfishness. Depravity. Moral ineptitude. I ask you, do you believe Ssendom wished for atonement? Do you think he wanted to be a better person, only unable to achieve it as his dark side won battle after battle amidst his internal strife?" Jonathan stood, his fain contorted in both pain and anger. "You'd be willing to compare me to a monster like that? I already know what I did was unforgivable, I don't need to be treated one of the worst players to walk Aincrad! Ssendom was killed because he remained on that path. I doubt he had any guilt." 

"Do you think he ever got it?"

His atonement? His peace? No. There was no peace for those like them. If Ssendom had any morales than he was stripped away from the sanity in his mind, constantly in pain from the crushing guilt he had felt inside. 

"I am not Ssendom, a monster. A menace who did it just for nothing."

The tension grew in the short silence that ensued as their states met each other with an edge as sharp as their own weapons. Then, Bahr would let out a sigh, the daggers fading. "I'm hungry. You?" Jonathan blinked, too confused to hold his anger. He looked towards Bahr, "I-I" His own stomach would growl in protest and Jonathan dropped his head. "Yeah. I havent had food in a day or two" 

"Come on," Bahr instructed, motioning for the blond youth to follow him. He led the pair into the modest kitchen, which wasn't exactly anything special. Basic cooking appliances - a stove, oven, ice chest. It wasn't anything particularly marvelous, nothing like Oscar's kitchen. But it served a basic function, that being the production of mediocre meals. And so he got started.

Pot on the stove, ingredients pulled from inventory, and a tap. Seconds later, the pasta was boiling.

"Hope you like spaghetti, it's all I've got," he remarked with a deadpan expression, swiveling around the window to show Morgenstern its contents. If he were to scroll, he would see an endless list of pastas and sauces, exclusive to the spaghetti variety. By the time the window was dismissed, the pasta had finished softening and Bahr was able to assemble its contents onto a plate, which he handed to Morgenstern. He then assembled a plate for himself and leaned back against the island countertop in the center of the room, schlorping up a large portion of the noodles in a single, practiced motion.

"Sho-" he began, pointing at Morgenstern with his fork, mouth still full. "Mwhat makesh you differem frum Shendaum?"

He followed the man into the kitchen as instructed, looking at the simple interior. Back when he had a house, he had sent a great deal of time into it and had found a mansion on the nineteenth floor where he even had NPC staff. He sold that house to make a complete change to his build. He watched as the man would look at the stove before clicking a few options and beginning a boiling pasta. He swiveled the screen around to Jonathan to prove that he only had pasta. Smirking, he would let the man close the screen as he prepared the food. Cooking in this world was much easier than the other one. After Bahr assembled the plate, Jonathan would take the food and sit down, waiting for Bahr to put together his own. 

Bahr would immediately begin eating, after taking a  mouth full he would ask wheat made him different than Ssendom. The way the man ate frazzled him, as he had grown up in a manor and was taught to act with utmost grace. Jonathan took his own bite of the food, the warmth spreading through him. It was delicious. 

"I might have done something awful, but I don't enjoy it. I don't live for it. I don't want to do it again." Taking another bite of the pasta, he would await Bahr's reply. "You said you got the title Bloodedge for taking out the player killers. When I came around, we called those players Maverick hunters. What makes you better than the rest of us? You're killing all the same, and many times are taking out someone just because of what they are labeled." He looked away. "You are just an orange player thats not branded as one" 

@Bahr 

Bahr held up a single finger as he swallowed, a loud gulp sounding from his throat. "One," he said plainly, carefully putting down the plate of food. "Only one. And it was an accident."

The thought suddenly occurred to Bahr that that hadn't even registered as a real kill in the system. The player had been orange at the time, so Bahr suffered no reputation penalty to change the color of his own cursor. Moreover, he was fairly certain that the man he had cut down managed to respawn somehow. After all, it was moments before the announcement.

"You won't find my name anywhere on the Monument of Life, anyways. That moniker I shared with you was a derogatory term that other players used to refer to me as at the beginning of the game - the monster who cut down his best friend. Just as you described, it was a way for them to identify me as an orange player, since my cursor didn't reflect that," he explained, eyes flickering back to the plate of spaghetti on the counter top. No. He couldn't return to putting away the pasta just yet. "Was a mistake, anyways. How was I supposed to know that death was permanent in this game before the announcement happened? He and I had dueled in countless RPGs before this. I was "teaching him a lesson," as it were."

His eyes became sharp and focused once more. "Not a single human health bar has reached zero by my hand since that day. But I was known for a brief time as someone who punished orange players for their misdeeds," he admitted with a shrug, demeanor becoming more casual again. 

His hand returned to the plate, but then strayed once again. Instead, he opened his menu and navigated back to the inventory panel, tapping a piece of equipment which them materialized in front of him as the windows were dismissed. It was a basic Katana, blade hidden within an ornate sheath. The hilt of the weapon resembled that of a coiling serpent, teeth bared for the world to see. He tossed it nonchalantly toward the blond as a trade window populated.

"If you want redemption - and I mean truly want it - then prove it. This blade belonged to the one who reminded me the most of my best friend. He used it to atone for being largely inactive during the first years of this. By the standards of most, it's a weak weapon - but there's a special something to it that you might find interesting."

BahrTradeTemplate.png

Spoiler

Name: Najarala 
Your Profession: Merchant
Acquisition ID: 120624
Enhancements ID: #120798 #120799 #120800
Roll: LD:7  LD:20  BD:10 CD:9+1=10 LD:3
Item Type: Katana
Tier: 1
Quality: Perfect
Enhancements: Keen 1 | Damage 1 | Paralytic Venom (Offensive) 1
Description: "This keen blade is coated with a powerful Paralytic agent that can stop even the most powerful foes dead in their tracks. The hilt is formed in the shape of a snake."

He watched as Bahr held up a finger before swallowing his food and answered, "Only one. And it was an accident." Jonathan raised an eyebrow. You didn't accidentally kill someone in this game. "You won't find my name anywhere on the Monument of Life, anyways. That moniker I shared with you was a derogatory term that other players used to refer to me as at the beginning of the game - the monster who cut down his best friend. Just as you described, it was a way for them to identify me as an orange player, since my cursor didn't reflect that" He had never seen the name Bahr on the monument of life, so he supposed he was telling the truth. However, the fact that players had given him such a title that early on was rather strange. Many people still didn't know him and if they did it was as the former Tank Paladin of the Celestial Ascendants. "You killed your best friend?"That was something very strange. even thinking about fighting Itzal was weird. Other than the time they didn't know who the other was,they only had fought that one time on the second floor. 

"Was a mistake, anyways. How was I supposed to know that death was permanent in this game before the announcement happened? He and I had dueled in countless RPGs before this. I was "teaching him a lesson," as it were." Jonathan frowned. "You had already killed someone within the first hours of the game? In those hours I was trying to learn how to open the menu" He supposed Bahr had not done anything wrong then, if he had just assumed that this was another game like the rest. This wasn't a game though, it was a virtual prison where they were being left to govern themselves. 'I wonder if we are a social experiment'  He thought to himself. 

He watched as Bahr seemed to enter the more focused side of himself, his eyes sharpening as they peered into his own. "Not a single human health bar has reached zero by my hand since that day. But I was known for a brief time as someone who punished orange players for their misdeeds," Jonathan smirked. "Should've joined the APD, if it would have been a thing. I suppose I am technically a part of that organization now. Between you and I though, its a joke." 

The man took no light to his words, and instead seemed to move straight into his inventory and picked out an item. In his hand materialized a Katana, a basic one in appearance, but coming with a snake design. Bahr tossed it towards him, the blond catching it with his left hand. "Whats this?" 
 "If you want redemption - and I mean truly want it - then prove it. This blade belonged to the one who reminded me the most of my best friend. He used it to atone for being largely inactive during the first years of this. By the standards of most, it's a weak weapon - but there's a special something to it that you might find interesting."

Jonathan stared at the weapon, examining its features before turning to the trade window. 'He is giving me a Katana? I have never trained with one, but I do know someone who could help me out if I choose this path.' Nodding to himself he would open the trade window an add <<Judgement>> to his end of the bargain. "You can have Judgement then. As long as its put in the right hands, I can tolerate it being used again. I realize now that it Judges people on both ends of the blade instead of one"

He accepted the Trade, receiving ownership of the item. He would look at its properties and find Paralytic Venom. "Interesting. Paralytic Venom is useful when fighting those without Paralytic Immunity. I actually have both now! Guess that makes me the master of Paralysis. No. The ParaGod. Actually, thats Oikawa the Faint. I'm ParaJesus!" He would chuckle. It ahd been a while since a laugh had come from him. "Thanks Bahr. For helping me, even if you didn't actually know me". 

+Najarala T1 Katana - Paralytic Venom | DMG | Keen

-Judgement T3 THSS - DMG | DMG | DMG

Bahr raised a brow at the youth's sudden uptick in demeanor, casually slurping away what seemed like miles of noodles. ParaJesus? What a stupid title. Swine Bajesus, who emerged from Bahr's pocket to gaze upon the man with scorn, seemed to agree.

Judgement, huh?

When the spaghetti was gone, Bahr resisted the urge to lick the plate clean and instead set it into the sink before opening his inventory and checking the weapon that Morgenstern had handed off to him. Tier 3, three slots of damage. Didn't really seem to be anything special about it, really. But from the sounds of it, this blade held sentimental value for Morgenstern, so he dismissed the window and gave the blond a nod. 

"Don't worry about it," he grunted as he hoisted himself onto the counter, taking a seat there. "I didn't do anything. It you who has to do all of the heavy lifting here. That being said, I'm always willing to help a friend."

BahrFriendRequest.png

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Jonathan stood mesmerized by the blade that now sat in his hands. A katana? Something that he would have never thought on taking up. Bahr accepted his trade, taking Judgement away from his inventory. He felt a metaphorical weight being lifted from his shoulders. He felt better, a constant burden being removed. "Don't worry about it," Bahr answered his thank you with. It had been a while since he had someone to talk to and understand his problems without giving him unwanted pity. "I didn't do anything. It you who has to do all of the heavy lifting here. That being said, I'm always willing to help a friend." Jonathan looked away from the blade since the first he held it. "A friend?" Jonathan looked to Bahr with wide eyes. 'Like actually? He means it?' Jonathan turned away quickly. "You aren't just tricking me to do your dirty work like he did are you?"Chaos had broken down a bit of his trust. His hand hovered over the screen, ready to press either option. Depending on the answer, Jonathan would make his move. His face became stern once more and his hand on the katana that was just bestowed on him tightened. 

@Bahr

"A friend? You aren't just tricking me to do your dirty work like he did are you?"

Bahr waved the inquiry away, a lackadaisical attempt to assuage the man's concern.

"I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but no. What work have I asked you to commit to other than improving yourself?" Though, it wasn't like there was nothing in it for Bahr. Morgenstern mentioned he had missed the last boss raid - no doubt a symptom of whatever internal hell he was currently going through. If they could work together to repair it, Bahr would be better off when he finally joined the Frontlines. After all, Bahr would never allow himself to run from a fight.

Ever.

And that could lead to some serious repercussions on the Frontlines, all the way up to death. The more people he had by his side when the time came, the better. Though, there was no denying he had a soft spot for people in need. It was one of the things that had made him grow to detest the Frontlines and its most prominent figures - the fact that they had all the resources to help the lower leveled players reach the front, but never lifted a finger to do so.

"Even if I were trying to manipulate you, what would be in it for me?" Besides extra padding on the Frontlines, of course. "In the end, it's up to you," Bahr sighed with an indifferent shrug. "Take the help and move forward. Deny it and die alone. Your call."

Jonathan would listen to the man's answer. The answer was passive and uncaring, he didn't actually what Jonathan chose, but it was up to him to decide entirely. "Even if I were trying to manipulate you, what would be in it for me?" Jonathan pondered for a moment. This man had never known true betrayal. Jonathan didn't realize what Chaos had to gain before it was far to late. The had struck down any of his opposers and got him closer to what he truly wanted. Had it not been for Itzal saving Penelo he would have been far too late and Chaos would have his clutches on her. By this point in time, Chaos might have slaughtered every single organization that indulged with the frontlines and took out most of frontliners and send the rest into hiding. It was the man's final and absolute goal to put an iron grip on Aincrad and set it into motion to clearing the bosses. A good goal, but not the correct way to do it. 

Jonathan tapped the blue circle, accepting the man's friend request. "I suppose you are right. Sorry for my lack of trust." he would say apologetically to the man. He looked at the watch on the topmost of his vision. It was getting pretty late. "Thanks for the meal and for everything, but I really ought to head back. I need to go assist the frontlines as soon as I possibly can and make a trip to the blacksmith eventually. I have been away for a while and need to catch up on stuff." 

@Bahr

So now the man finally had a fire lit under his ass to return to the Frontlines? Odd that a single conversation with a stranger could do that to someone. Bahr would never be able to bring himself to understand these Frontliners and their true motives. But if he wanted to return to his post and fulfill his duty, Bahr wasn't going to stop him.

"Understood. Do what you must. I'll be joining you there before too long."

He then led the man back to the front door, shaking his hand before sending him through. As he gripped Morgenstern's hand, he looked back into the man's eyes. 

"I know that you're having trouble trusting me. For me, it's the opposite. Regardless of whatever difference exists between our levels of power, if I discover that you've killed again..." His eyes narrowed as he hissed the remainder of the sentence. "I will take you down."

With that, the men parted ways. Morgenstern went off to fulfill whatever he needed to accomplish, while Bahr stayed behind at his house to plot his next course of action. 

THREAD COMPLETED

Thread net gains:
Bahr
1 SP
200 col

Morgenstern
1 SP
200 col