[F06 - SP] One's Greatest Enemy <<The Gemini>>

What is one's greatest enemy?
Is it a nemesis, a mortal foe? No, one's foes can be defeated.
Is it nature? Is it the wild beasts, the elements? No, nature is not always one's enemy. 
The reason we say we have a nemesis, a final battle, is because the truth is much more terrifying. 
We fear our greatest enemy more than we fear anything else, whether we realize it or not. 
Yes, one's greatest enemy is much closer, and much more dangerous than we want to realize.
Our greatest enemies are nothing more than ourselves.

"You look pretty strong."
Yukiro turned to see a hooded figure approaching him through the crowd of people. His body and face were obscured by a hooded cloak. He seemed fairly suspicious...
But something about him felt terrifyingly off. 

"I'm looking to test my skills. If you beat me, I'll teach you a hidden skill. What do you say?"
Yukiro scrutinized the player. He couldn't tell anything about him... His equipment was a complete mystery. And no name was displayed around him. 
But there was no way Yukiro could refuse a challenge. 
"... Alright. Where do you suggest we do such a thing."
The cloaked man gave an eerily familiar smile. 
"Just follow me."

The unknown player lead him into a deep forest, spots of light reaching down into the shade of the trees. Neither spoke as they walked. 
Finally, the stranger stopped. They must be at the designated place. 
As the player went to turn around, everything seemed to slow down. 
A strong feeling of dread washed over Yukiro. Something was very wrong. 
"Who are you?"
The stranger threw off the cloak in a single, fluid motion. 
And Yukiro's entire world stopped dead.

What he saw facing him... was himself. 

Yukiro stared in shock at his own eyes. His own face. He had his own gear and even stood the same way. 
"Wh-what..?"

Spoiler

Yukiro

LEVEL 8
160 HP | 16 EN | 6 DMG | 18 MIT | 3 EVA | 1 REG | 1 BURN | 1 BLIGHT | 1 FREEZE

Skills:
2H Straight Sword - Rk 1

Equipped:

• "Jack's Purgatory" - 2H Straight Sword (T1 Perfect) Cursed - This item automatically adjusts its Tier to the player it's equipped to | Burn - Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 12 unmitigated burn damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. Burn damage does not stack, but can be refreshed. [Must hit to activate the status condition.] | Blight - Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 12 unmitigated blight damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. Blight damage does not stack, but can be refreshed. [Must hit to activate the status condition.] | Freeze - Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 remove the enemy’s action on their next turn. Frozen opponents lose any evasion properties. Striking a frozen enemy before the effect ends will end Freeze and deal an extra 12 unmitigatable damage. [Must hit to activate the status condition.]
  • "Nightmare Overcoat" - Light Armor (T1 - Perfect) MIT x2 Prevent 18 damage from successful attacks against you | REG x1 After taking damage, gain Regen at the beginning of your next turn. Heal (5 per slot * Tier) every turn for three rounds. Damage over time effects (Bleed, Poison) will not trigger Regen. Does not stack with Battle Healing. Taking damage while Regen is active will refresh it to its full duration.
  • "Ravenfeather Treads" - Light Armor (T1 - Perfect) EVA x3 Reduces the die value by 3 on an enemy’s attack against you. Cannot be used to avoid a critical hit.
Spoiler

<<The Gemini>>

LEVEL 8
80 HP | 40 DMG | 14 MIT | 3 EVA 
| 48 DMG on natural roll of 9 | 56 DMG on a natural roll of 10 |
Special: Disguise
+1 ACC to The Gemimi's first attack

Edited by Yukiro
Spoiler

The Gemini: 80 HP | 40 DMG | 14 MIT | 3 EVA | 48 DMG on natural roll of 9 | 56 DMG on a natural roll of 10 
ID# 127676 | BD: 2 (5-3) MD: 6 (8+1-3)
Yukiro: HP 118/140 (-22) | EN 12/14 (-2)
The Gemini: HP 80/80 
Regen starts next turn

The new Yukiro made a sudden lunge at Yukiro, seeming to almost appear next to him. Yukiro twisted and drew his sword, but he was too slow to react to his own speed. 
The blade of the doppelganger cut through his chest, leaving a massive red line across his chest. Yukiro started to stumble back, but used the lean to jump away from his mirror image. 
No, that wasn't accurate. It was like looking at an exact copy of himself. Both had the same sword and armor. Both held their sword in their left hands, only using the right when swinging or blocking with their swords. The only difference was that this other Yukiro was perfectly calm, even cold, whereas Yukiro himself was in a state of shock. 
"Wha-- Who are you?" Yukiro yelled. The Gemini answered by shooting forward and slashing upwards at Yukiro. This time Yukiro managed to dodge the blow and step just out of his opponent's reach of his own sword. 

Edited by Yukiro
Spoiler

The Gemini: 80 HP | 40 DMG | 14 MIT | 3 EVA | 48 DMG on natural roll of 9 | 56 DMG on a natural roll of 10 
ID# 127681 | BD: 1 (3-3) MD: 5 (8-3)
Yukiro: HP 123/140 (+5) | EN 11/14 (+1-2)
The Gemini: HP 80/80 
Regen turn 1

Yukiro-- the other Yukiro-- took a deep step forward, using expert motion to make a downward diagonal slash. Yukiro deftly sidestepped the attack with equal skill. Yukiro gripped his sword in both hands to make a horizontal swing. The Gemini read his motions and leaped back, out of harm's way. The two began to lock in a struggle for victory. Neither could manage to get any advantage over the other; their skill was perfectly even, their weapons were exactly the same. Their fighting styles were exact copies of each other and the terrain offered no support to either party. 
Yukiro faked a vertical attack, whirling his sword around in a rising slash. Yukiro's counterpart read the attack and parried the blow, forcing Yukiro's attack off to the side. The counterpart made a vertical cleave that Yukiro sidestepped. Each whipped their right hand off of their sword, Yukiro trying to punch the Gemini while the Gemini's hand brushed the blow to the side and hopped away.

Edited by Yukiro
Spoiler

ID# 127686 | BD: 10 MD: 5
Yukiro: HP 128/140 (+5) | EN 10/14 (-1)
The Gemini: HP 55/80 (-25) [Frozen]
Regen turn 2 | Burn/Blight/Freeze activate on The Gemini | Burn/Blight turn 1

The sword whistled past Yukiro's face, passing just an inch away from his throat and chin. Yukiro's sword came down towards the Gemini, but he parried the blow easily. 
Yukiro was fighting an opponent of equal skill and ability. Neither was managing to gain any ground on the other. They struck with the same speed and precision. They parried with the same timing and skill. They evaded with the same motions. Nothing was changing. Nobody was winning.
He couldn't get past his defenses. Yukiro needed to do something that even he couldn't parry.
And he got an idea.
Jumping back, Yukiro turned and ran away from himself. His other self gave chase. Yukiro ran until he reached a tree. No time to think about it. He jumped, landing his feet on the tree's vertical surface, curling his sword around his front in preparation for a horizontal attack. The Gemini read his moves instantly. Not stopping, he raised began to swing his sword to defend against the powerful blow.
Yukiro pushed off of the tree, ready to strike with all his might. The Gemini's blade whipped up to defend against the blow. 
But Yukiro didn't swing. Not until after the other sword had passed it's mark. 
Yukiro's blade whipped through his other's body, cutting through his collarbone down too his waist. A frost exploded from the wound, coating the Gemini's entire body. A flame also burst from the wound, and a black infection began to worsen the blow. His other's health was dropping rapidly. 

Edited by Yukiro
Spoiler

ID# 127687 | BD: 7 [Gemini is frozen] 
Yukiro: HP 133/140 (+5) | EN 10/14 (+1-1)
The Gemini: HP 18/80 (-37) [Frozen]
Regen turn 3 |  Burn/Blight turn 2

Yukiro wasted no time upon landing. His opponent was incapacitated, he had to take the chance now risk defeat.

And defeat meant death. He couldn't afford to die anymore. He now had people who wanted to see him come home. He had people who cared about him. 

Whirling around, his sword cleaved straight through the Gemini's body. The ice shattered off of his body, and he sprung forwards, spinning so Yukiro's sword didn't cut all the way through his body. The Gemini took several long jumps back, away from Yukiro. His health stopped decreasing only after it was less than a quarter empty. 
Yukiro saw his poor state and saw an opportunity, not to attack, but to seek answers.
"What are you?" he called out to his other. The Gemini chuckled a bit. 
"You'll know. If you win..!" 
Lunging forward the Gemini slashed at Yukiro's head. Yukiro only barely managed to raise his sword in time to block it. Was it just him, or was the doppelganger getting faster? 

Edited by Yukiro
Spoiler

ID# 127692 | MD: 9
Yukiro: HP 103/140 (-30) | EN 11/14 (+1)
The Gemini: HP 18/80 
Regen activates next turn

Whish!
The sound of the sword passing right past Yukiro's face was getting more and more familiar. The sight of his own concentrated face swinging that sword was not growing any less unnerving. 
The Gemini slashed to Yukiro's right, forcing him to dodge left. Yukiro felt a dull pain in his side as the Gemini's boot slammed into Yukiro's side, sending him flying over onto his side. Before Yukiro could recover enough to get up he felt the sword of his other self plunging into his side, draining his health little by little. 
Aargh!
Yukiro thrust the tip of his sword at the Gemini's head, forcing him to retreat a ways. Yukiro pushed himself up and faced his quarry.
"I'll ask again! What are you?" he yelled. He didn't know why he felt so pressed for answers, but he seemed to need them.
The Gemini gave him a cold look. "I am what you hold onto so tightly, and what drags you down."

Edited by Yukiro
Spoiler

ID# 127694 | MD: 10
Yukiro: HP 70/140 (+5-38) | EN 12/14 (+1)
Regen turn 1, refreshes next turn

"I am what you hold onto so tightly, and what drags you down."
"What is that supposed to mean!?"
He didn't get an answer. The gemini lunged at Yukiro and swept his sword in a horizontal arc, trying to cut of Yukiros head. Yukiro managed to pull back just in time, the sharp blade swiping past him. Yukiro twisted, thrusting his sword at the doppelganger, who swerved to avoid the attack. Swinging his sword as he evaded the thrust the Gemini slashed Yukiro through the chest. Yukiro was pushed back a bit by the attack, stumbling over and nearly falling down. But he thrust his sword's tip into the ground to keep himself upright.
The Gemini made as to kick him over, but Yukiro raised his sword, threatening to cut of his leg if he tried. His other self backed off and gave him some room.
Yukiro took a deep breath and glanced at his health. Things were getting worse. He should end this fight sooner rather than later.

Edited by Yukiro
Spoiler

127700 | BD: 1 MD: 4
Yukiro: HP 75/140 (+5) | EN 11/14 (+1-2)
Regen turn 1

As we struggle to face our own nature,
Our faults, our flaws, our regrets and suffering,
We are face with the most difficult opponent we can imagine;
Our own inner demons.
Something we can never truly defeat, something we will never conquer,

For to defeat our demons is to defeat ourselves.

Yukiro and the Gemini's blades clashed furiously. The sound of steel on steel would have been heard by every soul in a nearby city, had they been near one. 
Chang! Ch-shhhang! Clang! Whsh!
The blades clashed together repeatedly at incredible speeds. Every time the blades met they parted almost immediately. And every time they parted they clashed together yet again in mere moments. Multiple clashes could be heard per second, some defending with other's attacking. Finally they had both decided to defeat the other. Yukiro needed answers.
"Again! What are you!?"
"..."
The Gemini was quiet for a moment. Suddenly, he jumped back, away from Yukiro. But he didn't answer. He jumped up onto a tree and sprung off of it towards Yukiro.

Edited by Yukiro
Spoiler

ID# 127702 | BD: 9 MD: 2
Yukiro: HP 80/140 (+5) | EN 11/14 (+1-1)
The Gemini: HP 1/80 (-25, spared)
Regen turn 2 | Burn/Blight/Freeze activate on the Gemini | Burn/Blight turn 1

Everything seemed to slow down. Any Yukiro realized what he was facing. 
It was his hatred of himself. For so long, Yukiro had despised his inability to save people. His brother. His friend. As far as he was concerned, it was all his fault. This battle was all about defeating this darkness in his heart. 
What the Gemini was supposed to represent didn't matter anymore. Who it was didn't matter either. All that mattered in this moment was the attack being made against Yukiro right now. This fight had to end. 
As the Gemini's sword sped towards him Yukiro's eyes locked with his foe's. Yukiro's sword moved in a downward arc, intercepting the Gemini's sword.
And cutting it in half. 
The sharp edge of Jack's Purgatory sliced through the Gemini's sword and into it's body, leaving a massive red line in it's body as it traveled past him. Yukiro turned around to see the Gemini laying on the ground, laughing gently to itself.

"Heh... heh heh... Well..? Finish it..!" 

Yukiro looked down at his dying self. And an odd feeling came to him.

"No."

Edited by Yukiro
  • 3 weeks later...

"... Wh... What?" 
"No. I won't kill you," Yukiro clarified, "But if you insist on continuing this fight then I will not hesitate to strike you down." 
"That's... Quite the contradiction there," the Gemini said. It was a different tone than any he had used before; a gentler tone, so to speak. "Well, I am at your mercy. What would you have me do?" 
Yukiro moved the point of his sword away from the strange being's throat. "I only want to know. What are you? And why have you done this?" 
The Gemini looked at Yukiro, his face fully exposed now. They really did look the same, not even as mirror images. It was unlike anything Yukiro had ever experienced. 
"Then I will tell you. I'll tell you everything I can. And, as promised, I will also teach you a skill," the Gemini promised. Yukiro smiled and offered a hand to help the man to his feet. 

The Gemini took his hand and they hoisted him up to his feet. The Gemini took a moment to brush himself off while Yukiro sheathed his sword. The pair looked at each other for a moment. It was a feeling he would never get used to, seeing himself. 
The Gemini cleared his throat. "We should take a seat. There's a lot to be discussed," he told Yukiro as he gestured to a nearby tree. Yukiro nodded and followed him. Two trees were conveniently twisted and bent like places to sit, so they each took one. 
"I trust I can trust you to tell me the truth?" Yukiro asked for clarification. 
The Gemini nodded. "Of course. You won the battle, and what's more, you spared my life. I am in your debt, and if this is how I will pay it back, then so be it." 
The Gemini leaned back against the trunk of the tree. Yukiro leaned forwards in his seat. 

"First things first. I am not you, not a part of you, or anything like that," the Gemini cleared up, "I am a separate being from you entirely." 
"What about what you were saying before? During our fight?" 
The Gemini waved off the question, "It was just talk, intimidation. Nothing more. You see, what I am is a creature that takes the shape of others. In this case, you. I am what some would call a doppelganger." 
Yukiro nodded. That made sense; he did look like him after all. What else could he really be besides a copy? 
"So you mimicked my appearance?" 
"That's right. But I assure you it wasn't a random choice. I chose you for a reason," the Gemini stated. 
"And what was that?" Yukiro asked. 
"Well, you see," the Gemini started, "It was a test."
"A test?"
"Yes, a test. Of your strength, not mine. If you could be me, rather, if you could beat you, then you passed. If you couldn't, then you failed."

"And what would it mean if I failed?" Yukiro asked curiously. He was not usually the type to be interested in such things, but the need for knowledge was burning up inside of him. 
"It would mean you weren't strong enough. Simple, is it not?" the Gemini asked. Yukiro looked at him, dumbfounded. 
"And what if I wasn't strong enough?" 
The Gemini shrugged. "It just means that you would have to get stronger, I suppose. I'm not sure what else it would mean," he said simply. Yukiro was heavily confused. 
"So, you're a copy of me, here to test my strength for no apparent reason?" 
"In essence, yes, that is precisely it." 
Yukiro was actually pretty let down by the anti climactic reasoning. And he wasn't usually one to go for the plot of his life, so when something that had gotten his so excited let him down it was a little depressing. 
"But now, we have a skill to teach you."

What can one do to face their demons, then?
It is impossible to defeat them, so it is best to simply give up?
No. Once cannot ever truly defeat their demons. But one can triumph over them.
The lesson to learn is not simply to fight. It is to go beyond the battle,
It is to learn to defeat what of our demons we can,
And to accept that which we cannot.

Yukiro blinked. Right, the Gemini had promised to teach him a skill. He stood up and offered a hand to the Gemini. 
"Shall we get started then?" he asked. The other him grinned and took his hand, both pulling the Gemini to his feet. 
"I think we shall," he said, not wasting any time before starting on his teaching Yukiro the skill. "This skill is called Concentration. It's simple, really. You only need to focus for a moment to activate the skill. You'll find it easier to hit things. That's really all, but it's a very, very useful tool." 

But to accept our demons is not
To allow them control over some aspects of one's life.
Neither it is not to walk behind that which haunts our selves,
Afraid of facing it any closer.
It is not to stand beside one's demons, treating them as an equal
Or an important piece of our self.
It is to walk beyond one's demons and force them to follow behind.
For if one walks ahead for long enough, even the most powerful,
The most persistent, even the most terrible demon
Will one day fall behind.
It will one day stumble and become unable to keep up.
And on that day even the greatest of one's inner demons
Will lose hold over one's self. 
And that, just so long as one keeps moving forward,
And does not return to carry one's demon
It will be left to rot and, in time, be lost forever.
That is the only way to truly defeat one's own self;
To strive to become one's greater self.

The false version of Yukiro stood in a stance, legs apart, crouching slightly, arms held bent at his sides. He looked like a character from Dragon Fall
Yukiro, the real Yukiro, copied his odd pose. "Like this?" 
The gemini nodded, "Yeah just like that. Now, all we have to do is yell." 
Yukiro looked at him with a clearly unconvinced face. "You are not serious right now, right?" 
"No, I am completely serious right now. That is exactly what you need to do," the Gemini told him with a blank face. Well, he guessed there was no choice. The two Yukiros braced themselves and took a deep breath. 
"haaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!" 
Yukiro started to yell so loudly that birds were flying away from the noise. Yukiro didn't stop there. His yelling got louder and louder, more and more forceful until he was pretty sure he was about to turn blonde like Hoku from Dragon Fall. But he didn't stop; he pushed harder and harder, yelling with all his might. 

Until he noticed that he was the only one screaming his lungs out. Then his massively loud noise began to trail off. And Yukiro's eyes found themselves looking at a very amused second version of him, who was now sitting on the grass and watching him, trying to contain his laughter. Yukiro's voice finally stopped making noise as he stared at the Gemini. The Gemini finally couldn't contain it himself and burst out laughing. He fell back on his back and even started to roll around, clutching his gut as he howled with laughter at Yukiro's embarrassing display. 
Yukiro slowly keeled next to the Gemini and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. "Oi. Need I remind you who won the fight? Should I just forget the skill and end that battle?" 
The Gemini started to try and stop laughing, though he was failing miserably. "Sorry... haha... I'll stop, oh that was great. Alright, haha, the skill. For real this time."

The fake copy, the false version, the Gemini of Yukiro was moving his hands with great speed. They were signing and making symbols like Yukiro couldn't believe, just like all the characters in Narugo. Was he really expecting Yukiro to fall for this again? Well if he was... 
He was entirely right. Yukiro started trying to copy the Gemini with his hands, fumbling and trying to make the right signs and symbols. His fingers had to turn and mingle in ways he'd never figured they would have to in his lifetime. Finally the Gemini said; 
"Now, finish by crossing your arms and yelling 'Gemini Jutsu!'" 
Yukiro stopped and crossed his arms the way he was shown. "Gemini Jut... su..." 
The Gemini was on the ground laughing again. Yukiro kicked the horrible copy of himself in the gut. "Oi. Are we going to do this or can I leave? I'm kinda getting ticked off," he threatened the Gemini, "Eh?" 

The gemini had to, once again, take a long, humiliating moment to recover from the laughter. "Alright," he wheezed, "For real this time." 
"Really for real?" 
"Yeah, really for real. This is what you do, follow my lead." 
The Gemini crouched down, one hand on his knee and the other fist touching the ground. Yukiro copied the pose. 
"Now you yell 'Second Gear!'" he said loudly. 
Yukiro took a deep breath. "Second-- Oi, hold on, this is from One Park!" 
The Gemini stifled a laugh. "Yeah, you caught me. It's actually like this," he told Yukiro, striking what Yukiro thought to be the weirdest pose yet. So weird it couldn't be fake. So he copied it. 
"Say 'Zu Warudo!' in a deeper voice."
Yukiro smirked. "Zu--" his body twisted, "Warudo!" As he yelled it he slammed his fist into the Gemini. "That's from Nono's! Quit messing with me!" 
The Gemini sat up, still laughing, "All right, we can be done now. I'll show you how to use the skill." 

The skill actually turned out to be more disappointingly easy to use than the Gemini made it out to be through all his... unwanted antics. 
"Really, all you have to do is take a moment to concentrate before attacking and it will trigger the skill. That's really all it is. Sorry about all of that I did, it was really just for my own entertainment," the Gemini told Yukiro. 
"No, really? I figured those were the step I needed to take to prepare to learn the skill," Yukiro exclaimed sarcastically. He let out a heavy sigh, "Anyway, thanks for the skill. I guess I'll just be going now." 
The Gemini nodded. "You won't be seeing me again, I think. Though I may be wrong. I have been before. I mean, I am you," the Gemini grinned and picked up the cloak he was wearing before. He flipped it around and onto his body. "Best of luck. Don't get killed out there." 
Yukiro nodded. "I won't. Trust me on that."