[F03-PP] «Worn out Welcome»

Spoiler
Randal: SP 3/8 // HP 60/60 // Energy 6/6 // 1 DMG // 5 MIT // 1 ACC // 1 REGEN

Randal was actually really really really lost...he had just visited a shop called “The Crusty Bahrnacle”, placed an order some hand wraps and left, he was pretty certain that the exit was just around the corner when there was a flash of blue and the whole place changed...

Not really knowing what happened, Randal certainly didn’t pay it no mind, with a confident step clearly showing he knew where he was going he spotted another shop that sold equipment, maybe this owner would be in.

As Randal started walked towards the shop, he noticed a figure headed in the same direction as him. Not knowing if he should strike up a conversation, he just resolved to walk faster.

As he quickened his pace, he realised so did the to other person, clearly they were also trying to avoid conversation. As a favour to them, he slowed down to let the other go ahead.

To his amusement, so did the other person! Clearly they were very like-minded people. Though Randal knew that in a game like this just being like-minded didn’t mean you should start chatting.

Without even realising that there was a ledge before the door to the shop, Randal fell face first and did a quick roll before stopping.

Truly the moral of the story must be to watch where you were going.

@NIGHT

"Watch where you're going," NIGHT called out to the newbie incredulously as she approached. <<Randal>>, huh? From a first glance, he hadn't any weapons, and that was enough to NIGHT to wonder if he had any idea what he was doing, especially on Floor 3.

The shop she was heading into belonged to Griswold. During her last visit here, there was a break in, but that aside, she wondered if the blacksmith was really as talented as he claimed. He only made her a simple one-enhancement item... She needed to reverify her sources.

But how did this other player get here? Gingerly, NIGHT pulled open an examination window for the fallen player. Oh dear. Trying not to grimace, she closed the interface menu and kneeled, extending a hand over to him. "Need some help? You look... really lost. Floor 3's not really a place someone like you would want to be in."

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 13 | HP: 260 | EN: 26 | SP: 33
DMG: 8 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | EVA: -

RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 2

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 2/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -

[Examine]

• [T1E3] Doombringer
    "WEAPON: A black broadsword; large, heavy and sturdy. The edge is lined with silver, and its guards are decorated with gold. It looks like it's been sharpened to a tee, so handle it with care."
    -- [ Damage III | +3 DMG. ]
  • [T1E2] Reinforced Crystal-streaked Ear Cuffs
    "TRINKET: A long, smooth and wrapping silver ear cuff, with a thick blue crystalline streak running across it. Much more durable than its counter part."
    -- [ Recovery II | Regain 2 additional energy on natural CD rolls of 6+. ]
  • [T1E2] Spiked Metal Pauldron
    "HEAVY ARMOR: A round, silver, metal pauldron. for some odd reason, it's got obvious spikes jutting out of it. This probably isn't very safe to handle... It has a bell attached for unknown reasons."
    [ Thorns II | Successful non-critical attacks against you deal 18 unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks. ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (5) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides 50 temporary HP.

[Misc]

• Familiar Mastery <Accurate> from Nyanko
    -- [ Accuracy II | +2 BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit. ]
  • Aincrad Trading Post Guild Membership
    -- [ ATP Guild Bonus | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]

@Randal

Edited by NIGHT

44 minutes ago, NIGHT said:

Need some help? You look... really lost. Floor 3's not really a place someone like you would want to be in."

Randal really didn’t want to say he was lost, but you know...sometimes you really just got to admit when you’re wrong and know when to move past things.

”Of course I’m not lost” Randal replies with a smile while accepting help standing up. 

”I’m here visiting a relative!” He said, uncertainly.

”Also did you just see my stats? How did you do that?” He asked.

But before Randal could get an answer a gruff and rude sounding voice boomed from behind him. 

Towering above the decently averaged height Randal, a looming blacksmith by the name Griswold said “Relative?! I ain’t got no wet behind the ears, three legged milk drinking relative like you.” 

Brandishing his mighty hammer like a popular superhero back in the real world, Griswold commanded “Who are you and whaddya want?”

With a sheepish grin, he looked at <<Night>> and then back at the great smith and replied.

”Sir Griswold! I saw your shop in the area and was looking to make some light armour leather boots with a bonus to damage, think you could do that for me?”

”Yea sure, and what about you lassy?” Griswold proffered.

@NIGHT

"Of course I'm not lost!" Randal objected, wearing a grin. "I'm... here visiting a relative!"

Uhuh. Likely story.

As Randal posed a question NIGHT was barely registering, Griswold opened the door to his smithy, waving his hammer around before setting it upon his shoulders. Yup. Just as I remember him.

Randal was looking a little embarassed by now, but that didn't keep him from asking, "Sir Griswold! I saw your shop in the area and was looking to make some light armor leather boots with a bonus to damage --"

-- Woah, that's a long request --

"-- think you could do that for me?"

"Yeah, sure," He replied, nonchalantly. When he made eye contact with NIGHT, she shrugged. "I'm just here to watch you make his boots." The woman nudged Randal forward stoically, roping the man into her investigation. It'd be better for her to keep an eye on him, anyway, judging by how inexperienced he seemed to be.

Glancing back at the smith, she asked, "What's it take to make them? We'll be out and back in a jiff."

@Randal

Randal definitely thought that this lady seemed nice, considering he thought that she was here to make armour and has automatically volunteered to assist him. Randal also thought it was his duty to make it know his appreciation so with a quick “Thank you” to Night, he turned back to tuning into Sir Griswold.

“—and then you just need to go towards the big tree, fight the dark elves and bring back the special leather they curate and use to make their tents, with a bit of tanning, my wife Hanna and can turn the leather into a pretty durable material.”

...Okay so Randal may have on an extremely unlikely possibility missed out what directions were crucial to getting the materials, but he wasn’t going to let everyone in this room know that he wasn’t paying attention.

”Of course Sir Griswold, I am familiar with that tree, but do you mind just point me in the right direction?”

And so after getting a single point in one direction, Randal and <<Night>> started heading the location of the quest.

Along the way, Randal asked Night about herself, what she usually did, what she wanted to be here in the game, and what was waiting for her outside the game, in as many unobtrusive words as he could muster up.

Edited by Randal

... No, his words were definitely obtrusive. NIGHT wondered how he could quickly spit out so many questions at once as they began walking out of town. Blinking curiously, she responded, "Why don't you share your backstory as I do mine, then? That way we both get an even trade."

"Let's see," she paused, trying to form a coherent story. "I... used to program. Used to," she repeated, her face scrunching up at the thought of it, "because it's been two years, and I can barely remember how to code anymore."

"Uh... I draw and fight during my time here; the former helps me out when I'm planning for my crafts... I'm an artisan, you see," she elaborated, with a gesture for emphasis. "It's near the Crusty Bahrnacle, if you've ever seen it. And Oscar's Food Truck, though..." NIGHT wondered. "I should really pay them a visit soon. I haven't been to their stores yet."

She gave Randal a glance, wondering if he'd return any information about himself.

Randal listened intently to the information that Night gave him, he knew that he had to take what players said in this game with a grain of salt because everyone here would want to be wary of other players...at least that’s what he thought based on what he knew about online forums from the real world.

So he nodded actively and gave Night his ear for the moment.

”I see, well let’s think positively, our 2 years spent here won’t be wasted, it’s still life experience right? Haha..” he laughed languidly.

”When I first got into the game I was really sad, I didn’t know what to do and just wasted my days away, that’s why I’m so Low-levelled even after so much time.”

”In the real world, I was a food Nutritionist for my main job and did other things on the side, I really miss my girlfriend...though I can’t be sure if she’s still waiting for me out there.”

”It took awhile for me to return to my positive attitude...” 

As Randal rambled on...he realised that he had already reached the outskirts of the forest.

Spoiler

ID# 129935
LD: 15(Success)

Bending down he pocketed some mushrooms growing. Randal glanced at Night and explained “Hehe, I’m trying to be Chef here to at least try and remember some of the things I used to do...for some semblance of reality, we’re not going to fighting monsters once we’re out of here.”

Edited by Randal

”I see. Well let’s think positively, our 2 years spent here won’t be wasted; it’s still life experience right? Haha..”

Morbid. She had faced the same dilemma when she started. NIGHT felt something stuck in her throat when she tried to reply, and found herself unable to. Randal moved on.

”In the real world, I was a food Nutritionist for my main job and did other things on the side, I really miss my girlfriend...though I can’t be sure if she’s still waiting for me out there.”

"A girlfriend," she repeated, impressed. She wasn't entirely trusting of others herself, so the idea of being in a relationship was, by far, intriguing in theory. "I hope she'll wait," NIGHT found herself adding, closing her eyes in a prayer. "It's unfortunate you got stuck in here under those circumstances, though."

As Randal bent down to collect some ingredients, she replied with a nod. "Sure. But weren't we supposed to be on a hunt for an elf or something?" She smirked. "That's the one fight you can't avoid. I'll do my best to keep you safe though."

Taking a moment to look around so as to avoid eye contact with Night after sharing something personal, he felt a little awkward. “I hope she waits too..”

A sweet sentiment in all too not-sweet reality. Even sweeter was when she said she would protect Randal, he didn’t really need the protection but the extra damage output would be greatly appreciated so he responded

”Haha, I’m actually quite sturdy in terms of defence, my damage only hits for 1 though, I’m confident I could run away if anything goes awry but kill monsters take way too much time.” This fact contributed greatly to how slow Randal was levelling up.

Randal and Night eventually came across the large tree in the forest and had barely noticed a low mist had consumed their legs, below the arching willow was a small village of dark elves.

Spoiler

ID# 129947

LD: 7(fail)

Oh hey look, Randal thought to himself as he picked up some damp wood he could use for smoking meats. Not knowing that this wood was actually unsuitable at all and couldn’t be used.

Edited by Randal

"Isn't killing monsters the core of the game, though?" she replied, furrowing her brows. Her hand went to her hip, confused, yet concerned. "You didn't exactly have an obvious weapon, either. Have you not obtained mastery for your fists?"

"See," NIGHT began, keeping an eye out for their environment. "Sword arts are integral to taking down opponents. Assuming you don't have anything in the way of skill," she paused, recalling what a friend had said to her. "Like... me."

"But, the fact is, you do more damage when you work together with the game's system. Doing that requires a skill, though I'm not sure where you'd get it from. You should do some research about that when we're done on this floor," she mentioned, as they reached the entrance to what looked to be a wooden settlement. Dark elves.

"Careful," she warned, checking for guards. "I heard the village we came from stayed clear of their territory. They may be hostile if we advance any further."

41 minutes ago, NIGHT said:

"Isn't killing monsters the core of the game, though?"

Well, she wasn’t wrong...”Don’t you think killing monsters is quite stress relieving too, I got a lot of pent up stress but hitting monsters right now kinda adds to it..” he added.

Randal also definitely didn’t have anything he could call skill. He barely knew how to fight outside, much less with a game system.

41 minutes ago, NIGHT said:

"I heard the village we came from stayed clear of their territory. They may be hostile if we advance any further."

Hmm, that’s also true, Randal realised that his new compatriot was very well observed and knowledgeable about the game.

So he came up with a plan, “I’m going to lure them out by making some noise or creating a din.” He informer Night before proceeding to pick up a rock and observing the Dark elves.

Spotting one that had strayed away from the village, after a quick examination he noted the elf wasn’t wearing much armor but was well equipped with a shiny saber , he threw the rock such that it landed near the elf.

Intrigued and wary, the elf brandished his weapon stealthily made his way over, that was when Randal jumped out from his hiding spot into the elf’s blindside and tackled him, Randal lost his footing a bit and just sort of brush roughly into the dark elf.

Spoiler
Randal: SP 3/8 // HP 60/60 // Energy 6/6 // 1 DMG // 5 MIT // 1 ACC // 1 REGEN

NIGHT 
Lv: 13 | HP: 260 | EN: 26 | SP: 33
DMG: 8 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | EVA: -

RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 2

Dark Elf: HP 11/12 (12-1) // 9 DMG

ID 129956
BD: 7 (Hit)

Edited by Randal

"I'm going to lure them out by making some noise or creating a din."

She watched his movements carefully. It was difficult to say if he'd make it out the plan unscathed, but she nodded, anyway. It'd be best if she could back him up on it.

Into the bushes Randal went, and so did NIGHT. The two creeped over, and when he tossed the rock, the Dark Elf immediately picked up on it, suspicious.

Closer... closer...

Randal moved first, bumping into the enemy and knocking off a point of damage. As the Dark Elf went to draw his blade, NIGHT set Doombringer to its hilt, knocking the saber out his hands. Unarmed, it grunted, attempting to deck the woman in the face with raging fists instead.

Too bad for him. The moment of impact was the moment its life was forfeit, and the enemy slowly disintegrated into blue ashes. NIGHT blinked, shocked at how quickly the scuffle resolved itself, before turning over to her party member. "You're not hurt, are you? Sorry about that," she continued, rubbing the back of her neck. "I'd hoped you were able to get the last hit on it, but..."

"... Thorns."

@Randal

ID: 129973 | BD: 12 (10, +2) | MD: 7
Basic attack vs Dark Elf.
8 + 2 = 10 DMG
Dark Elf attacks NIGHT!
9 - 8 = 1 DMG
> Thorns was activated for 18 DMG.

Dark Elf | HP: -17/12 (-28) | DMG: 9

NIGHT | HP: 259/260 (-1) | EN: 25/26 (-1) | DMG: 8 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 2
Randal | HP: 60/60 | EN: 5/6 (-1) | DMG: 1 | ACC: 1 | MIT: 1 | REGEN: 1

Edited by NIGHT

Shock...pure unadulterated shock...when Randal would spend half an hour fighting a single monster, Night could kill in by letting it hit her..incredible..

With a shiny glimmer in his eye Randal brought himself slightly closer to Night and asked “So i’m glad you killed the monster but...did you get any loot? Cause the mob disintegrated and i can’t get any materials from it.”

”Should i maybe call more mobs over you think?” Randal asked, his admiration Night now just a little sky-high.

That’s also when he saw Night’s familiar, he hadn’t paid much attention it before but at this moment he felt the familiar staring at him with look of mockery. Randal thought he was going crazy but the longer he stared the more certain he was.

Randal decided to prove his worth by bravely going to the now empty area where the elf was guarding to see if there was anything left behind.

Spoiler

ID# 129979 (The roll for treasure was a mistake, let’s just pretend i didn’t roll.)

LD: 15 (Success)

Edited by Randal

What? Must be the MMO instincts still kicking alive in this guy. NIGHT clarified, looking vaguely unimpressed with his proposition. "Unfortunately not. Unless you want to position yourself to be the last thing to have struck it." 

She swung her blade behind her to sheathe it. "I'd advise against it," she added, raising a brow. "Though if you're looking for loot, you're better off on Floor 1. There's a special garden somewhere, if you follow the rumors. It'd be good experience for you," she paused, recalling his lack of a mastery skill, "-- Once you get the hang of combat, anyway."

NIGHT watched Randal's gaze travel to her pocket. Was Nyanko awake? Curious little kitten. She petted him gently, wondering what was running through the man's head as he ventured over to the vanished remains of the elf.

"If you're looking for materials," she shrugged, "Why not hand him one of the items from inside the elven village? Just... uh, don't attack them, yeah?"

Randal wasn’t just looking for materials, the Smithy had definitely said that if he wanted to make his light armour, he was going to have to gather the leather that the dark elves use to build their tents... but the dark elves disintegrate into nothingness so how the heck is he going to collect the material from them.

30 minutes ago, NIGHT said:

"Why not hand him one of the items from inside the elven village? Just... uh, don't attack them, yeah?"

And that’s when it hit him, the village, if they just head back a little towards the village he would be able to just tear down one of their tents, they he didn’t need to loot their corpses.

Spoiler

ID# 130001

LD: 3 (fail)

Unfortunately he didn’t manage to spot any tents that would be appropriate to just pull out due to there either being too many Guards or too obvious to pull.

He kept thinking about what else he could do but could not think of anything feasible right now so he offered the idea up to Night.

While staring at her familiar, Randal said “Hey, listen so what if we just yanked the leather right from the tent, you think that would work?”

Edited by Randal

"I don't see why not," she commented, stepping up to the entrance of the village. As her kitten mewed, she gave him a glance to see what was happening. Being cute, she guessed, as nothing seemed out the ordinary from him. Maybe he was keeping wary of their team mate?

"Follow behind. I'll cause a distraction," NIGHT planned, drawing her blade. "And whatever you do, do not to get caught taking down their tents."

Elven guards came rushing towards her as she approached them, yelling for her to stop. Deciding otherwise, she launched a flash of light, shaped in a cross, towards one of the guards coming in from the back. It made her a prime target for the two opponents closest to her, but her attack did the job, at least. She could even see one of the other guards heading in the direction of her victim.

One glance was all she could afford to gesture to Randal to start moving.

ID: 130032 | BD: 10 (8, +2) | MD: 4 | CD: 3
<<Blast>> on Elven Guard #1.

8 * 2 = 16 DMG
Elven Guard #1 missed!

ID: 130033 | BD: 5 (3, +2) | MD: 10
NIGHT missed!
Elven Guard #2 attacks NIGHT!
9 + 2 = 11 | 11 - 8 = 3 DMG

ID: 130033 | BD: 5 (3, +2) | MD: 10
NIGHT missed!
Elven Guard #3 attacks NIGHT!
9 + 2 = 11 | 11 - 8 = 3 DMG

ID: 130033 | BD: 4 (2, +2) | MD: 3
NIGHT missed!
Elven Guard #4 missed!

[1] Elven Guard #1 | HP: 14/30 (-16) | DMG: 9
[0] Elven Guard #2 | HP: 30/30 | DMG: 9
[0] Elven Guard #3 | HP: 30/30 | DMG: 9
[0] Elven Guard #4 | HP: 30/30 | DMG: 9

NIGHT | HP: 253/260 (-6) | EN: 21/26 (-4) | DMG: 8 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 2

Edited by NIGHT

Damn, every moment spent in this forest surprised Randal more and more each time. This time it was when Night just straight up walked into a whole bunch of enemies triggering all of them into attacking her, Randal knew she could do this because she was already pretty high level but the idea terrified Randal a little, he thought about how long it would take to whittle down all their healths..truly terrifying.

But noting Night’s glance Randal started towards the rest of the tents in an attempt to pull one down and aid Night when he could, so he examined all the tents in the area before he found a tent made out of some well sturdy sticks with the leather wrapped in knots to create a cosy home. Heat blew out from under the tent indicating there was a fire inside. With a little more examination he noted that there were still people inside and lurked away.

Spoiler

ID# 130071

LD: 14 (fail)

Edited by Randal

Another cross, this time aimed towards all four of the guards currently dealing with the threat that was her. It sent the wounded elf flying backwards and its friend into shock. On the frontlines, it also sent the two most ready elves staggering out of raw pain. NIGHT set Doombringer in front of her, positioned from above, in a defensive position.

Until the elf who had recently met grief picked up their blade and shield, charging at her. She turned and ducked, letting the swing of its weapon impact her pauldron instead. With a shaky cry, it disappeared, crashing upon itself in a wave of light shards. Gone the same way his friend went out.

Setting herself back on the defensive, she watched as Randal scurry from one tent to another, after investigating the front-most structure. "Just grab one and go," NIGHT called out, hoping the guards wouldn't notice her advice. "I'll deal with the fall out if I have to!"

ID: 130075 | BD: 7 (5, +2) | CD: 9
> Recovery was activated. (+2 EN)
<<Blast>> vs Elven Guard #1.
8 * 2 = 16 DMG
Elven Guard #1 was defeated!

ID: 130076 | BD: 8 (6, +2) | MD: 4
<<Blast>> vs Elven Guard #2.
8 * 2 = 16 DMG
Elven Guard #2 missed!

ID: 130077 | BD: 7 (5, +2) | MD: 3
<<Blast>> vs Elven Guard #3.
8 * 2 = 16 DMG
Elven Guard #3 missed!

ID: 130078 | BD: 11 (9, +2) | MD: 7
<<Blast>> vs Elven Guard #4.
8 + 1 = 9 DMG | 9 * 2 = 18 DMG
Elven Guard #4 attacks NIGHT!
9 - 8 = 1 DMG
> Thorns activate for 18 DMG.

[1] Elven Guard #1 | HP: -2/30 (-16) | DMG: 9
[1] Elven Guard #2 | HP: 14/30 (-16) | DMG: 9
[1] Elven Guard #3 | HP: 14/30 (-16) | DMG: 9
[2] Elven Guard #4 | HP: -6/30 (-18, -18) | DMG: 9

NIGHT | HP: 252/260 (-1) | EN: 14/26 (+1, +2, -10) | DMG: 8 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 2

Edited by NIGHT
6 hours ago, NIGHT said:

"Just grab one and go,"

And so Randal did, remember that tent with the fire in it? Randal went back to that one and tugged at the leather tent, with a great big yank, he unveiled some sexy dark elves doing the nasty by the fire, who continued to scream and run away at the same time, drawing all the attention to them instead of the now destroyed tent and open flame..as the low forest breeze blew, the embers and sparks from the wooden fire drifted on nearby dry wood, which caught fire slowly and before anyone could retrieve the water to put it out, it had already sparked small flames in what looked like their nearby firewood shed.

Already on his way back he called out to Night, “They’re too busy to catch you, come on let’s run away”. He beckoned from the edge of the clearing to see if she would follow. If she did not turn around and run away in time, Randal would join the fray, anyway with her ability, Randal wondered if it would actually be faster to kill the 4 elves instead of running away but hey they didn’t drop anything anyway so what’s the point really.

NIGHT never ran away from a fight. She wasn't going to start now.

One last cross of light towards one direction threw a guard off their balance, causing them to shatter as they hit the ground, while the other, now moving from behind her, swiped at her with a spear. The woman couldn't bother to dodge, shoving her arm and shoulder backwards to nick the elf's throat with her pauldron spikes, clearing the entity from reality as she was sheathing her sword.

Then, and only then, she took off behind Randal, her head fixated towards the village to ensure there were no follow up attacks.

When the duo were back in town, NIGHT stopped, panting from the sprint. "I hope that item's in good condition," she breathed, holding onto the edge of a wall for support. "C'mon, let's turn it in. And maybe leave the details about how we obtained it out of the conversation."

ID: 130106 | BD: 5 (3, +2) | MD: 6 | CD: 4
NIGHT missed!
Elven Guard #2 attacks NIGHT!
9 - 8 = 1 DMG
> Thorns activated for 18 DMG.

ID: 130107 | BD: 11 (9, +2)
<<Blast>> on Elven Guard #3.
8 + 1 = 9 DMG | 9 * 2 = 18 DMG
Elven Guard #3 was defeated!

[1] Elven Guard #2 | HP: -4/30 (-18) | DMG: 9
[2] Elven Guard #3 | HP: -4/30 (-18) | DMG: 9

NIGHT | HP: 251/260 (-1) | EN: 11/26 (+1, -4) | DMG: 8 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 2

Edited by NIGHT