• SKILLS
  • EXTRA SKILLS
    » DISGUISE

FREE ACTION
          +1 EVA UNTIL START OF YOUR NEXT TURN
               COOLDOWN: 3 TURNS
    » MEDITATION

POST ACTION
          RECOVER AN ADDITIONAL 10 ENERGY - GETTING HIT BY AN ATTACK BEFORE YOUR NEXT TURN REDUCES ADDITIONAL ENERGY RECOVERY TO 6

COMBAT SKILLS
    » PARRY
          POST ACTION
          REDUCE FINAL DAMAGE OF NEXT ATTACK AGAINST YOU BY 50% (ROUNDED DOWN) AND NEGATES STUN/PARALYSIS EFFECT OF THAT ATTACK
               COOLDOWN: 2 TURNS
               5 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE

WEAPON SKILLS
    » TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD R5
          +7 DMG WHEN TWO-HANDED WEAPON IS EQUIPPED

ARMOR SKILLS
    » LIGHT ARMOR R4

+18 MIT 

MODS
    » LIGHT ARMOR MOD: ATHLETICS

+1 DMG
          +20 HP
    » PARRY MOD: JUSTIFIED RIPOSTE
          POST ACTION: COMBINE WITH PARRY
          SUCCESSFUL PARRY STUNS OPPONENT
    » WEAPON MOD: PRECISION

PASSIVE
          +1 ACC

SWORD ARTS
    » [X2 AOE] BLAST

2 ENERGY +2 PER TARGET HIT CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X2] STRAIGHT

2 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X3] SCOOPED

3 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X4 STUN] LIGHTNING

7 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X4] CYCLONE

4 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X5] BACK RUSH

5 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X6 STUN] FIGHT BLADE

9 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X7] ASTRAL HELL

7 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X8 AOE STUN] TEMPEST

8 ENERGY +2 PER TARGET HIT CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X12] CALAMITOUS TRAGEDY

12 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X13] GALAXY DESTROYER

13 ENERGY CONSUMED ON USE
    »
     [X12 AOE] CALAMITY DISASTER

13 ENERGY +2 PER TARGET HIT CONSUMED ON USE

INVENTORY
ARMOR
» [EQUIPPED] "COAT OF THE BLOODEDGE" - LIGHT ARMOR (T1 - PERFECT)
      +3 EVA
» [EQUIPPED] "HERO'S HAKAMA" - LIGHT ARMOR (T2 - PERFECT)

+36 MIT
      RECOVERY 1

WEAPONS
» [EQUIPPED] "SCARECROW'S SICKLE" - TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD (T2 - DEMONIC)
     ➥ +6 DMG
     ➥ BLEED

FAMILIAR
» [EQUIPPED] SWINE BAJESUS R3
     ➥ +3 ACC

A fine day to find oneself on the second floor. It wasn't particularly remarkable, save for the towering mountains that made one feel small and the calm river rolling through the valley between them. It was, admittedly, not a place that Bahr spent much of his time at. But today, something had drawn him here. It could have been his body's demand for a break from the dankness of the tenth floor, to venture out to a place with fresh air to reinvigorate him. It could have been the need for a change of scenery - to escape the hustle and bustle of the places he usually frequented and allow himself to be humbled by the presence of the stony edifice that surrounded the floor. Or, perhaps, he was merely curious, and needed not a solid reason to explore. That was, after all, one of the best parts of being trapped in this hellhole.

MEGA SLIME FARM USED (+2 SP FOR THREAD)

While tracing his body along the edge of the river, Bahr noticed a woman up ahead who seemed extremely distraught. Her dainty frame rested on its knees against the riverbank, upper half propped up by arms that lay seated in the cool water. From where he was standing, it looked like she could have been zoning out, or perhaps staring at something in the river. Maybe it was a bizarre ritual of some sort. But when he saw the telltale convulsions of a woman crying in distress, he stiffly quickened his pace to see what was going on.

"Excuse me, miss," he started as he pulled up alongside her, her frenetic sobs now audible over the calm trickle of the river moving over the rocks that dotted its snake-like form. "What's the matter? Is there anything I can do to help?" He crouched down to get a better look at her, a soft smile gracing his visage as he did everything within his power to seem as approachable and nonthreatening as possible.

"It's... it's my daughter..." she finally responded, gaze still affixed to the rolling water below. Hair fell from her head and prevented Bahr from seeing her expression, though he needn't with the pain so evident in her trembling voice. "She went to play in one of the caverns with a friend. They had done it countless times before, and never did they have any issues. But this time... This time..." Her voice began to choke, and Bahr feared the worst. "This time they were attacked. Her friend made it away, but she's still in there. Nobody here will listen to me, they just keep going about their lives. I've all but given up hope..."

Now Bahr understood the situation. "Your daughter's friend - did she see your daughter get hit? How long ago did this happen?" There was a sharpness to his voice now to replace the softness. Time was of the essence if he was going to save this little girl.

"No, she didn't see anything. It was too dark in the cave to even make out what was attacking them, and she ran without so much as looking back. She assumed my daughter was with her, but..." She finally turned to face Bahr, moisture in her eyes pooled to a volume that rivaled the river they sat beside. "Please, you have to go find her! I don't even know what I would do if I lost her! She's my entire world! I can't offer you much, but I would give anything to make sure that she was okay!"

A reward? Please.

"Say no more. I'll go and find her. Please, sit down and try your best to relax. If she is still there, I will bring her back to you. You have my word," he said coolly, pouring his determination into his eyes to convey his seriousness. Her expression softened a bit as relief washed over her.

"Thank you so much," she whimpered, wiping the tears from her eyes only for them to be instantly replaced by more. "You don't even know me... I don't think I will ever be able to repay you..."

"I'll never ask for payment for something like this," he retorted, taking a stand and offering the woman his hand. She tenderly accepted, and with a gentle pull they were both on their feet. "Your little girl needs you, and you need her. Making sure that happens is payment enough."

"But I-... You... I don't know what to say."

"Nothing. Just find a place to relax, and I'll be back shortly. Every second counts right now, so I really need to be going. Where is this cavern?" he inquired hastily, the urgency growing increasingly evident in his voice. 

"Over there..." she managed, pointing to a cavity in the rock wall nearby. Bahr found it in his line of site, gave the woman a nod, and was on his way.

As he was making his way to the cave, a quest window populated in front of him. So it was a quest. This answered a lot of questions, in the end. Bahr had found it a bit strange that the woman never actually mentioned anyone in the story by name. Not herself, not her daughter, and not her daughter's friend. For an NPC, she was pretty convincing. It made Bahr think back to his discussion with Lessa in the tavern weeks before. She had insisted that, even if they were NPCs, they were real enough to her that they deserved her respect. Now Bahr had given that sort of respect to an NPC without even realizing it.

The immersion factor of this game was beginning to get to him. If he slid too far down this slope, there was a chance he would never be able to craw himself back up.

He accepted the quest and continued along, his brisk pace allowing him to reach the maw of the cave within only a few minutes. From the outside, it looked pitch black within the cavern. Bahr didn't have anything with him to light the way, and frankly, he didn't have the time to get anything. So he ventured inside.

Spoiler

Cave Condition: Low Light
BD experiences a -1 penalty for lack of sight.

Out of one cave, and right into another. It seemed bizarre that Bahr's day had taken this sort of turn. It seemed fitting. He was, after all, the sort of creature that belonged in a cave like this. Dark, damp, quiet. It was his sort of arena. The lack of light made it difficult to see, though, and he stumbled more than a few times before his eyes finally adjusted to the sheet of darkness that pervaded the cavern. 

It was fortunate that he lived in a cave of sorts. The tenth floor offered more light to the luminant crystals that lined its walls and the glowing vegetation that accented them below, but it still took a bit of adjusting to get used to things around there. Because he was acclimated to such an environment, it didn't take long at all for him to start being able to see in the cavern. This was a good thing, considering his quest was most likely on an invisible timer. It was only a matter of time before the young girl succumbed to whatever it was that had accosted her.

He explored the cave for what felt like eons, but in reality it was only minutes. Each that passed felt like a failure. Like an opportunity to save the girl that slipped through his fingers. He hated the thought of it. If this little girl, even as an NPC, perished because he couldn't find her in time, it would gnaw away at him for the rest of his life. Undoubtedly things in their village would change permanently. He just couldn't bring himself to allow that to pass.

Somewhere up ahead, he finally heard something. The frenzied screeching of bats, along with the harsh fluttering of their naked wings. It reminded Bahr a bit of his time playing Pokemon as a child. Of course there are bats, he thought to himself with as an audible groan escaped his lips. Why wouldn't there be bats? He hastened his pace as he moved toward the source of the sound, hoping that the child would still be alive.

Spoiler

Encounter: Giant Bat 1
HP: 50
DMG: 20

Encounter: Giant Bat 2
HP: 50
DMG: 20

As Bahr rounded the corner, he saw them - but only barely. A pair of absolutely gigantic bats, the deafening cacophony of their flapping wings bouncing off of the cavernous walls and into his ears. "Alright, you bastards," he scowled as he unsheathed his blade from the small of his back. "It's time you learned there were bigger fish in Aincrad than you. I hope all of your freakish pseudo-avian friends hear about this and think twice before assaulting any children ever again."

The dull amber glow from his blade as he poured his energy into it gave him just enough visibility to make out the creatures amidst the haunting blackness of the cave. He dashed forward, and within a single swing, they were gone - scattered into countless glowing fractals that slowly fell to the floor before dissipating into oblivion. Destroying two mobs at once - especially ones that had attacked children - was nothing less than absolutely cathartic.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 880/880 | EN: 86/86 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 54 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 4 | BLEED 1 | RECOVERY 1

Bahr used [x8 AoE Stun] Tempest-8 EN

Giant Bat 1: HP: 50/50 | DMG: 20 | ID: 130197 | BD: 3+4-1=6, Hit for 15x8=120 DMG | Giant Bat 1 defeated
Giant Bat 2: HP: 50/50 | DMG: 20 | ID: 130198 | BD: 3+4-1=6, Hit for 15x8=120 DMG | Giant Bat 2 defeated

As he peered through the veil of black in search of the child, he couldn't make anything out that resembled one. He also didn't detect any movement within his nearby vicinity. If there was a kid around, they were well hidden. Bahr very suddenly realized that he didn't even have a name to call out to coax the little girl from wherever she may have been. The silver lining was that when the bats had exploded into a shimmering azure light, the spectacle was akin to a flashbang grenade in a war video game. Impossible to ignore in the darkness. Surely if the child had perished, her friend would have noticed the burst of light. So long as the kid managed to run into the cave and find somewhere to hide, she was probably still alive.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" Bahr called out with cupped hands around his mouth, the sound of his booming voice echoing through the cave.

No response. It seemed that the child was either gone, or too petrified to respond from wherever they were hiding. Bahr hoped it was the latter. He continued to meander through the cave, calling out every now and then with the same generic calls with the hope that he would eventually hear something back. Besides the sound of his own echoing voice, his boots against the hard ground, and the thudding of his heartbeat in his ears, there was nothing. Not a single thing that told him there was someone else there with him. 

Not that that was going to stop him from trying his damnedest to find her. He wouldn't be satisfied until he had search every nook and cranny, peeled back every loose rock, and let his vocal chords go raw in search of this child. She, along with her month, deserved nothing less. Strange how Bahr had become so attached to a completely programmed family. It seemed that there had been an element of truth to Lessa's assertion, after all.

Finally, he heard something. It was faint, and almost impossible to hear. But if he stood as still as possible and really listened, he could hear it over the deafening periodic thud of blood rushing through his ear canal. Panicked breathing. The sort only a distressed child could make. He began taking steps toward where he thought the sound was coming from, but it disappeared. So he turned around and took a few steps back, and was able to hear it again.

He continued playing trial and error until he settled on a direction. It was still faint, but the sound gradually became more and more pronounced the further he ventured into the cave. He kept his wits about him and listened out for any other noises - the low growl of a hostile mob, or the fluttering of more wings. But there was nothing. Only the choked exasperation of a child that needed his help.

When he looked behind a rock, he found her. A little girl, no older than seven years old. Absolutely too young to be playing alone in a place like this. It was a wonder that she hadn't had some other unfortunate event befall her before this; a rock slide, a cave in, a stumble down a rocky slope. A child this age should never have been left along here, even with one of her peers. Frustration toward the mother bubbled up within him, but he quelled it as soon as it did. The girl needed someone approachable and that she could trust - if he had the slightest hint of aggression in his voice, it would only upset her further.

"Hi," he said softly, crouching down to the girl's level. "My name is Bahr. Your mother is worried sick about you. Your friend, too. Everyone wants to see you come home safely. If you take my hand, I can lead you out of here. What do you say?"

When he extended his hand, she shook her head no. He could barely see it in the lack of light, but he was sure that it was what he had seen. He retracted his hand and pondered for a moment, wondering if there was a different strategy he could use. There was always the option to simply pick her up and carry her out kicking and screaming, but that didn't feel appropriate in the slightest. She was afraid, cold, and miserable. The last thing she needed was a stranger physically forcing her to do anything.

"What if I had you climb onto my back and gave you a piggy-back ride. Would that work?" he inquired, keeping the same upbeat and soothing tone as before. This time, her response was a very enthusiastic nod in the positive. It seemed that Bahr had cracked the case. He turned around and offered his back, and within seconds the girl and climbed aboard.

He stood and gently propped her legs up with his hands as her grip on his shoulders grew tighter. "Alright," he said once they were both situated, "Let's get out of here."

The trek back to the entrance of the cave proved to be a slow and time consuming one. Not only because it was dark and he needed to watch his step, but because if he didn't it wouldn't just be him going down. She continued shivering nervously on his back all the while, so he decided to cur the tension with some small talk.

"So, what's your name?" he inquired in a casual tone. He received no response. "How old are you?" was the next question, though he knew not if she had the capacity or desire to reply.

"S-six... years old..." she managed in the smallest voice that Bahr had ever heard. Only six? Even younger than he had imagined. How dare these NPCs allow children so young to play in such dangerous places? Though, if they didn't there wouldn't be such an abundance of quests to clear, surely.

"Say..." he began, unsure if he should continue, "I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but don't come around here playing anymore, okay? There are much safer places to explore. Do you think you can do that for me?"

The cave grew quiet once again, the only sound being Bahr's steady footfall against the stony ground. 

"I... have to..." was the response. Bahr's eyebrows arced upward in response.

"You have to?" he asked, but he never got a response. Surely it was a reference to her programming. This poor girl had to relive this nightmare over and over again. Bahr gritted his teeth at the though. He knew, in the back of his head, that she was nothing more than data. But for the developers to create such a system was just deplorable. No doubt it was to tug at the heartstrings of the players. But what of the NPCs? How many others were in this floating trap reliving the same hell over and over again?

It was so bizarre for him to be feeling this way. He had never in his years in Aincrad felt anything like this for mere data. Not even Swine Bajesus had prompted such a response from him. Or, at least, not yet. If this was something that was changing in Bahr, perhaps it was only a matter of time. But did this mean that the veil between what was fake and what was reality would continue to erode away? Would the day eventually come when Bahr regarded Aincrad as what was real, instead of what was beyond?

And how exactly was it different from reality, anyway? It was where he had woken up, eaten, laughed, lamented, and slept for the past several years. He had fought countless battles within its walls. He had contemplated the very real possibility of death and what it would mean for him and his family. He had experienced the very real death of some of the people closest to him.

The line that separated real and fake was thinner than ever before.

Eventually, they finally managed to reach the maw of the cave. Bahr's pace was able to quicken a tad, but he still avoided breaking out into a run for the girl's sake. The buffs to his speed would likely be jarring for her, and right now what she needed was a relaxing ride to her mother. Bahr was more than happy to accommodate that. They took a leisurely stroll down the sharp switchbacks of the mountain, along the riverbank, and back toward where Bahr had met the woman who had given him the quest in the first place.

The mother's eyes lit up as she saw him return, and her daughter on his back. He crouched and gently let her off of him, and the two ran toward each other and into a loving embrace. "You found her! Thank you so much!" the mother exclaimed over and over again. Scripted dialogue.

It was meant to illicit an emotional response. Bahr couldn't do anything other than look upon the mother with scorn. What a disgusting display the developers had put together.

"Yeah," he finally remarked on a stiff exhale, "I found her." He didn't say anything else. Why bother chastising the mother if this whole series of events was plotted to play out again and again? She would learn nothing from it. It was in this sense that the disconnect between NPCs and real people became painfully evident. A real mother would never allow this sort of thing to happen again. Ever. But it was scripted. And would happen again. Probably the moment that he left. It forced a pit to settle into his stomach. The poor girl.

"Hope you guys have a good life. You deserve it." The words were as hollow as cheap chocolate bunny you might get on Easter Sunday. He couldn't even bring himself to look at them anymore. He knew their relief was only temporary. Somehow, he felt they knew that, too.

As he turned to walk away, the mother spoke up. "Wait! Don't go yet!" she bellowed, running in front of Bahr and stopping him in his tracks. She looked up at him, tears of joy rolling down her face. He found it revolting, but did his best to hide this reality from his expression. "Like I said, I can't give you much. But..." She unfolded her hands from over he chest and held them out toward Bahr. Nestled within her palms was a bit of col.

A reward. Money. What a joke.

"Really, I can't accep-" Before he could finish, the col was shoved into his hands.

"You have to take it. Really." Her expression was warm, but Bahr could tell it belied the scripting that forced her to give this col to every player that completed the task.

"Fine. Thank you. Be more careful, please." 

As he walked past her, he noticed her expression snap back into a neutral one - the same one all NPCs wore when idling. Her exchange was done with him, so now she went back to her everyday routine. Bahr looked back over his shoulder and saw the little girl's friend run up to her and ask to play, and like clockwork they both began running back toward the mountain.

Spoiler

ID: 130203
LD: 5
5x25=125 col received.