[F05-SP] Fall from Grace -- <<Blood in the Sand>>

Fleur was all talk and no lies. The broker's information for the day was a Sand Shark field boss that lied in wait on Floor 5. NIGHT's hunch was that Yukiro would be there already, and so she waited for the day after to go hunt it.

And as luck would have it, at the co-ordinates, there was no one else to be seen.

Head loosely wrapped in a colorful shawl, NIGHT felt more confident in traversing the desert with her new Survival skill, hence having forgone her water canister and her inventory full of rations. Nyanko seemed to fare better in the sandy wastelands too, which was one of NIGHT's utmost priorities when considering venturing the desert again.

With the shark nowhere to be seen, NIGHT set Doombringer into the sand, leaning against it casually, watching the surface's waves ebb and flow. A hand gently soothing Nyanko's head, the two waited in silence between them, the only filler being the violent whistling of the wind.

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 17 | HP: 340 | EN: 34 | SP: 43
DMG: 9 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | EVA: - 

RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 2

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 3/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -
  4. - - - 

• Survival | Passive | Out of Combat health regeneration is increased to (15 * Tier). Immune to most weather conditions.

[Examine]

• [T1E3] Doombringer
    "WEAPON: A black broadsword; large, heavy and sturdy. The edge is lined with silver, and its guards are decorated with gold. It looks like it's been sharpened to a tee, so handle it with care."
    -- [ Damage III | +3 DMG. ]
  • [T1E2] Reinforced Crystal-streaked Ear Cuffs
    "TRINKET: A long, smooth and wrapping silver ear cuff, with a thick blue crystalline streak running across it. Much more durable than its counter part."
    -- [ Recovery II | Regain 2 additional energy on natural CD rolls of 6+. ]
  • [T1E2] Spiked Metal Pauldron
    "HEAVY ARMOR: A round, silver, metal pauldron. for some odd reason, it's got obvious spikes jutting out of it. This probably isn't very safe to handle... It has a bell attached for unknown reasons."
    [ Thorns II | Successful non-critical attacks against you deal 18 unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks. ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (5) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides 50 temporary HP.

[Misc]

• Familiar Mastery <Accurate> from Nyanko
    -- [ Accuracy II | +2 BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit. ]
  • Aincrad Trading Post Guild Membership
    -- [ ATP Guild Bonus | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]
Edited by NIGHT

A hint of a rise in elevation from below the sands ahead of her. NIGHT couldn't help but form the cheekiest of grins. Perfect.

"Hang in tight, Nyanko," she advised, shoving herself off her blade, grabbing its hilt and yanking the sword out the ground, as her body left it's surface. She hadn't exactly seen a sand shark in games before, but knowing how dive-based characters and enemies were portrayed, it would leap out of the sand. As the ground below her began to give way, she counted, heart beating fast in anticipation for what she was about to do. Three, two, one...

Now.

A billow of dust and sand blasted out the desert floor as a dusty brown and grey figure began to rise from underneath her feet. At the first sign of danger, her itch for sword work kicked itself in, launching a series of blows against the creature beneath to stop its advance against her.

ID: 130730 | BD: 12 (10, +2)
<<Fight Blade>> vs Sand Shark.
9 + 2 = 11 | 11 * 6 = 66 DMG
Sand Shark was stunned!
Sand Shark is stunned!

Sand Shark | HP: 59/125 (-66) | DMG: 50

NIGHT | HP: 340/340 | EN: 25/34 (-9) | DMG: 9 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | THORNS: 2 | RECOVERY: 2

Edited by NIGHT

Not a chance. It may have halted its movements for a bit, but the Sand Shark must've known its meal was still there, wriggling and alive. NIGHT, standing right on top of its jaws, was at the mercy of this creature, as it opened its mouth wide to swallow her whole.

Feeling her foot dive into emptiness, the woman cursed, her focus wavering in shock. As she stumbled, the last thing she reached out for to cling onto was the shark's humongous teeth. Dangling from the edge, she looked into the abyss below, and closed her eyes. Maybe if I'd been a little faster, a little stronger---

But she wasn't going to go down its gullet without a fight. Falling backwards, she clung tight to her blade, feeling the system take pity on her as Doombringer began to glow. Cardinal forced her arms to reach out, her sword sweeping in an arc, scraping the insides of its soft palate with a cutting edge, the red and white glow lighting up its insides as NIGHT continued to tumble.

ID: 130731 | BD: 10 (8, +2) | MD: 10 | CD: 2
<<Back Rush>> vs Sand Shark.
9 * 5 = 45 DMG
Sand Shark attacked NIGHT!
50 + 2 = 52 DMG | 52 - 8 = 44 DMG

Sand Shark | HP: 14/125 (-45) | DMG: 50

NIGHT | HP: 296/340 (-44) | EN: 21/34 (+1, -5) | DMG: 9 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | THORNS: 2 | RECOVERY: 2

Edited by NIGHT

If the system hadn't given her a fighting chance by now, she should've been dead. Her name etched out at that monument, her spirit forever haunting the digital make up of this game.

NIGHT had other ideas. The woman opened her eyes to see the grossness of the inside of this creature, but more importantly, its health bar was so, so low. And so she did what she knew best.

Knees together, blade to her cheek. With a bit of luck, she was about to escape.

-- Ping!

From the outside, it must've looked like the shark came right out of the sand to devour something small, before beginning to sink back into its lair. Midway through its submerging process, a black figure followed by a blue streak shot out of the sand, leaving a trail of sparkling shards in its wake. A deep shriek rang out into the desert, its echoes seeking passersby to rejoice about the news.

For the Sand Shark was dead once again.

ID: 130732 | BD: 7 (5, +2) | CD: 10
> Recovery was activated. (+2 EN)
<<Straight>> vs Sand Shark.
9 * 2 = 18 DMG
Sand Shark has been defeated!

Sand Shark | HP: -4/125 (-18) | DMG: 50

NIGHT | HP: 296/340 | EN: 22/34 (+1, +2, -2) | DMG: 9 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | THORNS: 2 | RECOVERY: 2

Edited by NIGHT

And then came the fall.

If, perhaps, NIGHT had been around to watch Austin McConnel's video about what to do if her parachute failed (granted, she wasn't going sky diving), perhaps she'd be more apt and ready for her situation.

But she hadn't, so she wasn't, and the woman was on her own to figure out how to stick that landing as best as she possibly could. She's got like, half a minute. She could figure it out, right?

Haha... ha-- Oh god. Oh no.

Twenty seconds.

If I fall, no matter what I do... I'm probably going to die.

Ten seconds.

Knees together. Blade to the cheek.

Cardinal... please save me.

A flash of blue charged the woman into the sand, far away from the dying shark. Her knuckles were white, gripping onto her sword for her dear life, as she crashed into the sand blade-first, feeling the shock running through her body, Doombringer holding fast onto the earth.

Cardinal must really like this one a lot.

NIGHT | HP: 311/340 (+15) | EN: 23/34 (+1) | DMG: 9 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | THORNS: 2 | RECOVERY: 2

When NIGHT fell once again, it was onto the warm, welcoming sand. What she once imagined was hard and icky was now soft and a pleasure to touch. How many times did she look death in the face -- and escape? How many more times could she afford to do that and come out of the confrontation living?

Wide-eyed wasn't a good look for the woman, especially in the middle of nowhere in the desert. But she stayed that way, thunderstruck, completely dumbfounded with her ability to survive, whether it be granted by her skill or otherwise.

It took another few beats for reality to move on, as Nyanko beeped, crawling out of his pocket, waddling over to check if his owner was alright. She was, definitely, but mentally she was too far thrown to respond immediately to her familiar's mewing. The kitten found himself squinting, the blistering wind pinching at his fur and flesh as he stepped outside, onto the toasty sands beneath them.

NIGHT | HP: 326/340 (+15) | EN: 24/34 (+1) | DMG: 9 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | THORNS: 2 | RECOVERY: 2

Two paw-full of toe beans on her cheek, and NIGHT shifted her gaze over to the kitten, mewing loudly next to her ear.

If it wasn't the howling of the wind and the calls from her cat, it was the beating of her own heart, loud and furious and and overbearing; a sign of life she couldn't refuse. And there was something within her that wanted to say something, that wanted to reach out and pet him gently, as she usually did.

But there was this resistance, this adversary force trying to keep her down and telling her to stay down. Perhaps it was preservation. Perhaps it was the system. Perhaps it was how sore her body felt after taking such an aggravated fall.

So against the inertia of being safe and warm and comfortable on the desert sand for longer, she reached a hand out towards him, trying to pat him carelessly. Her mind tried to focus on the softness -- or stiffness -- of his fur on her skin, slowly following the gentle trail back to reality.

> Third turn out of combat. EN restored to full.

NIGHT | HP: 340/340 (+14) | EN: 34/34 (+10) | DMG: 9 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 8 | THORNS: 2 | RECOVERY: 2

Edited by NIGHT

"I'm okay," NIGHT choked out, when she wrested her voice out from the tightness of her throat. She found her gaze transfixed on the sand, when she scooped up Nyanko from the desert floor, patting him repeatedly as he snuggled into her pampering. "I'm okay, really," she repeated, trying to convince herself for the better. A soft meow came from the kitten as he tried to offer a hint of comfort back, but it fell on deaf ears, as the woman continued to echo, "I'm alright. I'm... doing just fine."

Her voice faded as her sights set back on her cat, now dusty with specks of sand in his fur. Seeing his cute large eyes bare his soul into hers... it felt relieving to her in that moment, even as her nihilism began to refute otherwise, that the interaction was only artificial. Still, NIGHT was up for taking anything then that would bring her back to reality, and so she cooed at the kitten, slowly brushing sand out of his fur while trying to recover from her disposition.

It would take a day for her to properly return to her senses from her slump, as she took the time off to come to terms with her mortality. Still on Floor 5, NIGHT didn't seem to mind the col that was leaving her wallet as she rested at the incredibly overpriced inn, laying face-down in the center of the room's cushy, posh canopy bed.

For the first afternoon, night and morning thereafter, her stomach growled and her limbs ached, but not once did she budge from her position save for turning around in bed. Nyanko watched over her fervently, concerned about his owner and her mental state, as she laid, seemingly unconscious, for hours on end.

The second day, there came a knock on the door. It was incessant, until Nyanko leapt off the bed to scratch and mew at the door. Then, the door swung open almost violently, before closing gently behind the figure that came in.

A pause, and then a voice rang out to the player in question. "NIGHT?"

It was Fleur. And had the woman bothered to turn, she would've seen an expression of pure shock on the broker's face in pure daylight, with the sun shining mercilessly through the silk curtains. "NIGHT?" She asked again, expecting a response from the bedridden player.

Nothing. A sigh, before a beat, a shuffle of cloth, and two hands, grabbing the woman's arm and side, giving her a violent shake. "NIGHT. Wake up."

She didn't want to say anything, rather than avoiding conversation just for the sake of it. The malnutrition, one could say, had gotten to her, aside from her busying mind bothered with the events of the day before. "NIGHT," Fleur continued, jostling the woman by her shoulders now. "I know you're there."

A slow, irk from the player herself, in a dry, dull voice. "I heard you the first time." A cough. "What do you want?"

Edited by NIGHT

"To know what's wrong with you, preferably." The hooded figure folded her arms, leaning against the smooth purple wall of the room. "By no means you should've fallen during the fight, sure," she mentioned, gesturing with a hand, "but neither should you have refused to reply to my messages."

She began once more, both hands waving for emphasis. "See, we both know it's part of protocol, and you've done it before, and you know that even a simple 'okay' is fine. Right?"

No response from the woman. "Ugh," Fleur groaned, moving forward to shake NIGHT again, before the player raised a hand gingerly to refuse the action. "Yeah," she uttered, gaze turning from the broker to the floor once more. "I get it. I'm sorry."

"..."

It was all Fleur could do but sigh. As the small kitten pranced over to the broker, she bent down and picked him up, the cat yipping in surprise, quickly having its fur ruffled by the stranger in the room.

Edited by NIGHT

After a moment, Fleur spoke up again. "So, you wanna tell me what's wrong?"

Silence. She was about to speak up again before NIGHT somberly added, "You... wanna get me a glass of water first?"

"Oh, sure," the broker casually accepted, placing Nyanko back on the bed beside NIGHT. "And I'm assuming your little kitty wants some too, right?" An annoyed mrrow from the kitten made her chuckle, before she moved towards the door, heading out to check with the reception on the lower floor.

When the door closed behind her, Nyanko waddled back over to NIGHT, who was still in a distant state of mind. He mewed softly, nudging at her arm with his nose, trying to get a response of some kind from the woman.

He did. Her hand shifted over to stroke his fur down his back, a soft purr coming from the kitten as he closed his eyes in delight and comfort. If only that was the most of her responsibilities, NIGHT mused, as she continued to fuss over the kitten, unmoving from her position.

Edited by NIGHT

Fleur came back with a shallow bowl and a tea cup, both made out of clay and filled with water. She set the former on the floor, making sure that Nyanko knew where it was before handing the mug over to NIGHT, who was beginning to sit upright, having her lush pillows supporting her back as she leaned against them. "Now," the broker continued, taking a seat by the foot of the woman's bed. "You up for sharing your story yet?"

The woman took a sip, before nodding, her eyes down toward the end of the room as she spoke, a hand free to gesture. "So, I did something incredibly stupid the other day, when I was fighting the Sand Shark."

"Mhmm."

"I... I nearly got eaten by it."

"What..? I-I mean, how?"

NIGHT traced the sides of her cup, feeling the bumps where marks had been made to create ridges for its texture. Her breath shook slightly, as she wondered how best to reveal the information. "Um..."

"You did what?!" The girl underneath the cloak exclaimed, her body turned to face NIGHT. "You buffoon! I've caught wind of other absolute buffoons," she gestured, pointing frenzied with a scowl on what was visible of her face, "but you putting yourself out there in mortal danger really takes the cake, NIGHT."

The player could only sigh, and lean further back into her pillows. "Well," she added, preparing to take another sip of water. "At least I'm still alive, right?"

"Yeah, but you could've died, and I'm not sure if I want to work with clients like that," Fleur spat back, as NIGHT noisily drank from her mug. "As much as I have a role to play in this game, I don't want to be the cause of someone else's death, even if I'm literally just the messenger." The lady scoffed, and turned away from her clientele, who was still too busy hydrating to respond. With a mad pat with both hands on the mattress, she muttered, with a sigh. "I cannot believe you would do this to me. To yourself!"

"It was an accident," NIGHT murmured, the cup still in between her lips, and she took another gulp of water before adding. "Not all my plans put me in mortal peril."

"Oh," Fleur remarked, tone sarcastic with her hood slowly dropping off as she continued to move about. "Oh I'm sorry, what about the plans that do, huh? You ever think about that? About what happens to you if you die? Do you know who's responsible for your death in that case?"

The woman stayed quiet, drinking more water, as the broker continued on. "As much as I'd like to say it's me, it's not! It's like, everyone else out there in the real world, NIGHT, and you'll simply be reduced to some weird name on a wall. Do you really want that for yourself?"

"... No..."

"Exactly," she huffed, securing the hood over her head once more before folding her arms. "And that's exactly what I would've thought too, but lo and behold, you ignore my messages about where you've been or how you've been holding up." Another mock laughter, before her head turned to face the wall. "Really, NIGHT, I expected better of you."

"..."

"So? Go on, why've you been hiding out in this..." Fleur took a look around the room. "... Cramped? Small, yet posh attic space?"

"Because I didn't want to go home," NIGHT spat, looking downcast and drowsy despite being fully awake by now, listening to the broker scold her for her mistakes. "Okay? As much as I know how much you care about players not dying out on some mission for numbers," she breathed, closing her eyes. "I also know enough by now to figure you're not very open to talk about my problems, thank you very much."

"Your problems? I'm not a professional, but that just sounds like you're suicidal. It's all I'm saying."

"I'm not suicidal," NIGHT glared back at her, as much as she could with half-lidded eyes. "Far from it, actually." Her cup was empty by now, and she swirled it around lazily, fidgeting whilst she was annoyed. "I was hunting the boss, remember? By your information? That's not where the problem lies."

"Then where does it lie?"

She raised the cup, shaking it side to side. "That's your problem to figure out, missy."

NIGHT cursed as she staggered out the inn, feeling very unprepared for the day nor journey ahead of herself. Since Fleur had something to say about her habits, she was very much in a mood to put her mettle to the test once again, this time when she was barely feeling up to doing much of anything. Her strength, she knew, was undeniable, but her willpower? Surely that couldn't be the problem.

She was about to head off when the hooded figure stepped out of the inn as well, lips turned up into a smirk, her hands holding a wriggling, squealing Nyanko. "You forgot your pet."

"Mew!"

It took NIGHT a moment to register a response, and all she could eek out was, "... Oh."

Taking the kitten from the broker's hands, she coddled the cat and held him close to her chest. "Sorry, Nyanko. I guess I was just out of it today."

"Mew!"

"Mhmm," NIGHT added, somber. "Same as yesterday. I'm really sorry, Nyanko."

Edited by NIGHT

Fleur sighed, and placed a hand on the woman's shoulder, standing taller from the elevation of a flight of wooden panels that acted as stairs. "NIGHT, let me know if you need anything else."

"I will," the player reassured her contact. "Don't worry about it. And... thanks. For wanting to check up on me in the first place."

"It's part and parcel of the business, NIGHT," the broker added, a bounce in her step. "I'll take your thanks in you keeping yourself alive. How's about that?"

NIGHT sighed once again, reading in between her lines, before nodding her head, holding Nyanko closer. "Yeah, okay. I want to live as much as the next person, anyway."

"Then that right there's a good deal," Fleur grinned, folding her arms. "Best about time I got going. And get me more col soon, alright?" She thought for a moment, before adding, "When you're feeling better, of course."

"I will, I will."

Edited by NIGHT

Out of the inn, into a tavern. Best to get a meal into their day before they head back for home. Nyanko was safely back into his pocket, head sticking out to watch the people pass him by, as NIGHT settled in at a table, calling a waiter over for some food from the menu.

A plate served, and a side of kibble for the kitten. She pulled her familiar out from his hiding hole, and set him on the table surface. The starving cat began digging into his food, as she did hers, although the former more vigorously than his owner.

Watching Nyanko eat was rather... therapeutic. The kitten looked up at her after a moment, curious as to why she hadn't touched her food yet, before pacing over, sniffing at her plate. She huffed, stoic expression turning into a smile, as she gently nudged her kitten over to his own bowl, beginning to eat the rice available.

When the two settled in for the night in the comfort of the Evening Star, NIGHT muttered over to her kitten, not expecting responses from him. "Nyanko," she asked, blinking slowly at him from her own bed. "You must've been pretty scared, huh? Soaring through the air like I did, holding onto my coat for your dear life."

"... But it's not the first time, is it? We've done this before, but... it's always scary, I guess. Looking death straight in the face. Don't you think so too?"

The kitten gave a quiet shrill, curling up beside his owner for warmth and comfort. "Yeah," NIGHT continued, starting to feel the day take its toll on her. "Maybe I should get used to it. It's just difficult... snapping back to reality immediately."

She pet the kitten gently down its back, with a breath of relief. "Thanks for putting up with my sour mood, Nyanko. You must've been so hungry."

A small chirp, and NIGHT smiled at that. "You're a brave kitten, Nyanko. I hope you know that."

He did. As he sank into slumber, a smile creeped on his little face. NIGHT quickly followed, the two dreaming of better days to come.