[F09-SP] Through the Fire and Flames -- <<Training Your Friend>>

NIGHT took a nap. She shouldn't have, but she did, anyway. Nyanko needed the rest, and so did she, bundling up in her sleeping back at a small indent in the side of the mountain. Sure, it was still daylight out, but a quick rest wasn't going to hurt anyone, right? Letting out a tired yawn, she let her cat's heartbeat and her own breathing lull her into sleep's embrace.

When they woke, the sun was starting to set, hanging lower in the sky than before. Daylight was burning faster than NIGHT had anticipated. The golden hues of the sun's rays were lost upon the crackly, rocky red environment, but NIGHT took in its majesty anyways, as she packed up her equipment. She set a sleepy familiar back into her waist bag despite tiny squeaks of protests to get up and face what was left of the day. A finger tickling his fur, the player made sure her kitten was truly safe in her carrier, before taking off once again towards the summit of Mount Kazan.

NIGHT | HP: 248/440 (+15) | EN: 2/44 (+1) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This time, NIGHT wasn't too interested in delving into her thoughts any further. As the skies darkened, it was better for her eyes to be trained to the floor, rather than absentmindedly looking elsewhere. She'd have better luck watching her steps than to keep out for enemies that might be lurking about; at this point, she was certain she'd be able to take them on. After all, as she watched the energy meter hit its limit, she was combat ready with that rest she had earlier.

But the trek up was boring, if not rigorous. She felt the heat from earlier return to haunt her skin, and gently blew out to the air around her in a futile attempt to cool herself, if not convince herself about the temperature. Her thoughts went to wondering what was at the peak of the mountain instead. Maybe she'd find something cool to report back to her informants. Maybe she'd get something more than what she'd bargained for.

ID: 131732 | LD: 8 | Treasure Chest Search
> There's nothing here...

> Three turns have passed since combat. Energy has been restored to full.

NIGHT | HP: 263/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 (+42) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT

The journey up was quiet, and NIGHT was more than persistent this time. Past the second pitstop, she headed further up the mountain, the wind dry and howling as her ears trained on a distant bubbling sound, like rumbling rocks collapsing down a cliff. And another, like rain falling onto concrete. Was that really the sound of lava?

No, strike that. She should've become familiar to the noise by now. But this time, it was too much to handle. It was hard to even hear her own thoughts. Should... should she turn back?

--- NIGHT didn't want to. Not yet. But she had this ominous sensation as she pushed herself further up the mountain. Pressure exerting itself on the woman, shadows dancing in menacing ways, and the metal of her armour starting to burn into her. If she hadn't had Survival equipped, she figured, she may have been taking more damage than just singes on her skin.

The woman got a glimpse of the magma skittering the edge of the slope, her would-be destination turning out to be another stop on the way up the mountain, before heading back down dejectedly, unable to progress further without putting herself in harm's way.

NIGHT | HP: 278/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

As she turned around to begin her walk downhill, just out the corner of her vision, she caught something white. It contrasted the floor's colours of red dirt and darkness easily. A hint of cloth that vanished behind a tall rock, she approached it gingerly to look if there was something hidden behind it.

Nothing, but a chuckle from somewhere else. Above? NIGHT found a figure squatting on the top of the boulder, draped in a white cloak, hiding their face in shadows. "Sorry," they said, voice a little feminine, but generally indiscernible. "I didn't expect you'd actually catch sight of me."

"I--" she tried to say, glancing above their head. A name? There wasn't one. This must've been an NPC then, she guessed. "Who are you, again?"

"Wouldn't you like to know, weather girl?"

Figures. Furrowing her brow, she added, "How long have you been following me...?"

They chuckled. "And why would I tell?"

"Because otherwise, you'd look incredibly creepy?"

NIGHT | HP: 293/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

A pause. "Then I guess I'll stay this way."

"Aren't you going to take off your hood?" She asked, folding her arms. "It's only polite to do so."

"Maybe one day," they mentioned. "Not today. You'll get to see it, if you're curious." The figure hopped down from the tall rock, landing on two bent feet with ease. "Since I have you as company now," they said, "Why don't you walk with me? You were heading back down, right?"

"Yeah," NIGHT replied, still suspicious. She let the stranger walk forward, before tailing behind them, hesitant in her steps. "So, uh, did someone send you to track me?"

"... No. None of your information brokers did, at least." They added, stuffing their hands in their pockets. They seemed worn and large, suggesting a male's physique, but they were only as tall as her. Who was this stranger? Would Cardinal send random people to stalk players from time to time?

ID: 131854 | CD: 3 
Familiar Training Successes 2/3.

NIGHT | HP: 308/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT

"So, how has your day been?" They asked, glancing over their shoulder. The downhill battle seemed to turn into a stroll instead. In their hand, they played with a dagger, swinging it to and fro. The sight of the knife was enough to give NIGHT chills, but she replied, pushing away her fears. "I don't know, shouldn't I be asking you how my day was instead?"

"Hah! Rich," they replied, in a tone that felt familiar. "I thought your trek was going fine, until you decided to turn around." They tiled their head, catching their blade's handle in their palm. "Why was that, anyway? You were getting close to the top."

"It's too warm." NIGHT wasn't sure what lead her to respond, truthfully but still with snark. "You would've known that too, I guess, if I'd continued going on upwards."

"I would've, yes," the stranger agreed, tracing their ridged blade with their other hand, now out of their pocket. "I'll have to thank you for saving me from experiencing that."

NIGHT | HP: 323/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT

"Let's see..." their voice trailed away as they held the blade in their hands nonchalantly. "What if... Ah. You were up here to train, right? Getting stronger, as most warriors would be?" Her eyes narrowed at the stranger's questioning. "What's your game here, exactly?"

"Hey," they retorted, turning around with their arms spread open wide. "I'm not the one in the game here, am I?" A malicious laugh, as they turned around. NIGHT couldn't help but sigh and groan, her shoulders tensing up in annoyance. "Sorry, I couldn't help myself. The opportunity was right there! It was golden!" Another small chuckle, before they added. "I have nothing planned, exactly. I'm merely an observer, that's all."

The figure continued playing with the dagger in their hands, slashing away at the air with it, before pointing downwards, and clicking with his cheek. He motioned NIGHT's gaze to fall onto a pass near the mountain's base. "That's what I can offer you, in return."

NIGHT | HP: 338/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

"Information, then? I assume that's what you deal with." It was the best guess that the woman could come up with, but the stranger shook their head, clicking their tongue this time. "Not quite. This one's just a titbit that's on the house." They gestured again with their dagger. "Look. From there, you can get to Mount Stylahm." They moved their hand towards a peak in the distance. "And that's where you should train at."

"Caverns full of monsters and lava, winding tunnels cast in light and shadow... And the potential for so much loot." They chuckled, swinging their dagger to and fro as they spouted their spiel. NIGHT instinctively took a step back, not wanting to get close to the small blade. "That's your best bet. Your prize for sniffing me out, is that tip."

They spun their blade a little more, before returning it into its holster, by their thigh, leaving NIGHT to wonder about their motivations once more.

NIGHT | HP: 353/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

The two continued their way down the mountain. This time, however, the stranger skid down the mountain's face, a short distance away towards the pass they'd seen earlier. When they stopped, they turned over to their partner in crime, waving for them to follow. NIGHT frowned, gingerly taking steps at her own pace to get to the bottom safely.

They sputtered in arrogance as the adventurer took her time. "Coward."

"Hey!" She retorted, struggling to find her footing from one rockhold to another. "I'm sorry if not everyone is as good at parkour as you are." The figure let out a laugh, before continuing on their way, at a speed of which even NIGHT could catch up to with a brisk walk.

The duo reached the desolate crossing, a large lava fall on their left, drippling out of Mount Stylahm. Peering over the edge, NIGHT could see the pool of boiling red liquid, wrapping and mixing over each other. 

NIGHT | HP: 368/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT

"It's deep down there, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is." NIGHT bristled, mostly out of fear of how vulnerable she was, more so about the height with which she would fall at, rather than the idea of falling into the pit of lava itself. Both of them at once made for an even more dangerous combination, though, and she gulped, thinking about--

She felt a shove, before she could complete or register her thoughts. One moment she was fine, the next she began to topple, down, down far into the pit. In an instant, her fears were realized, as though the reaper himself was there to catch her when she fell.

She didn't want that.

Halfway through the fall, she was able to snap back to reality, pulling her sword out and slamming it into the stone near her. It stopped her fall, but there was only so much time before she would begin again.

ID: 131862 | CD: 12
Familiar Training Success 3/3!

NIGHT | HP: 383/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT

"Hahahaha!" The voice mocked, from up above. "Sorry. It was an accident, I swear!"

Jaw locked. Palms clammy. Thoughts not coming to mind. The only thing she could spit back was, "Jesus [mf] Christ dude, what the hell was that for?!"

"Like I said, it was an accident. You don't really think I would kill you right there like that, would you?"

NIGHT felt her grip ready to loosen, knuckles searing with pain as she clenched onto her hilt with severity. She swung her other arm over to hold onto it, hoping the sword was well wedged into the wall to support her weight and force. "Like I give a [sh] about what you think now! What the [f] man?!"

She looked up, but she couldn't see them peering over the ledge. Instead, she noticed a black shadow, jumping up to safety, and her fear ridden thoughts went to Nyanko.

NIGHT | HP: 398/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT

"Nyanko?! Nyanko?!" She'd half expected to hear a beep in response, but as her eyes checked her bag, she realized that the flap was loose.

dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit--

A screech, sounding like a cat, and then a scream. "Holy-- get away from me--!" More hissing, and sounds of struggle from above. NIGHT wanted to feel relief, but she wasn't sure if the darkness she'd seen moving earlier really was her cat, or if it was something else entirely. Instead, she tried to focus on getting out of her predicament.

Wasn't she in a situation like this? Straight would work, right? She had to find solid ground first -- there was no telling, if she dislodged her sword right now -- that she'd be able to make it back up safely. Shifting her hands over to her blade, she carefully pulled herself towards the rocky ledge -- closer to the lava, but at least she would have her feet on floor then.

NIGHT | HP: 413/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT

This [ahole]... I'll kill him--!!

With her hands now free, she retrieved her blade from her menu, bringing it back into her hands. And with one quick, precise motion, raised herself into the air -- a fine, overwhelming distance from being stuck in a pit of lava. She grappled onto a nearby ledge as soon as she was able to, clambering up the rock face to reach ground again. The sounds of struggle were getting louder, definitely. NIGHT had to wonder if this really was the non-energetic cat from the day just earlier.

As her eyes finally managed to see what the fight was about, there Nyanko was, as the stranger tossed him back onto the ground. The cat got back up, his fur raised in anger and fury, and his claws out to maim his foe with. He spat at the figure, who'd begun to adjust their hood once again, the pure white cloak now tattered and dusty with dirt.

NIGHT | HP: 428/440 (+15) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

They coughed, and then pointed to NIGHT, who was struggling to get up onto the floor. As she rolled over, finally at safety, Nyanko dropped his aggression, pouncing onto his owner in extreme concern, meowing and licking at her cheek to make sure she was alright. The attention was welcome, of course, and the adventurer did laugh a little, but the duo were certain of who they had to confront.

When the greetings were resolved, NIGHT picked up her kitten, holding him close as she began to scramble to her feet. The two were practically at opposite ends of the pass -- the stranger nearer to Kazan, while she was next to Stylahm. "You think I'll really buy that, bastard?"

"Hey, hey! I mean it, you know," they quipped back, folding their arms. The cloak fluttered about as a dry breeze blew through the pass once more. "It was an accident. I swear it."

"That's not good enough." NIGHT took a step forward, a challenge. "How do I know you're not lying? And why were you laughing, huh?"

"Why indeed," the figure mused back, a hand to their face, still cloaked in shadow.

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 (+12) | EN: 44/44 | ACC: 3 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 27

Edited by NIGHT

Silence. Only the howling of the wind spoke for them.

And then NIGHT found the bravery to ask the question she'd been waiting to find the answer to.

"Who are you?"

"Hmm?" The cloaked person responded, lowering their hand. "No one to worry about, of course. Now, I don't intend to fight you, even though this scene," and they gestured with their arms open, "is perfect for a duel. No, I'm only here to watch, and advise."

The adventurer hissed, and Nyanko mewed back in support. "You haven't. answered. my question."

"You don't need one," the figure shot back, sternly placing their hands by their sides. "My name is of no consequence. You'll see me again," they raised a finger, "that, I can promise you."

And then they took their leave. "Hey!" NIGHT called out to them, beginning to sprint towards them. But with a quick throw, they lunged the dagger in their holster past her, stopping the woman in her tracks, shaking.

They let out another laugh, half-hearted in their actions. Their fingers pointed towards the blade behind her, and she turned to look as well. "You're afraid of knives, aren't you?" They shouted back, tauntingly. "An open book, NIGHT. Your traumas really give away who you are inside." They waved their hand, recalling the dagger back into their possession. "Best be careful now. The next time I see you, you'd better be ready for me."

When the player turned back to start following the stranger, they were gone. Only NIGHT and her familiar were left standing on the passing. With an exhale, her calmer demeanor from before faded away, leaving a terror-shackled woman cuddling her cat. Her smile was wry at best as she looked upon Nyanko, her brave little warrior.

With slow, staggered steps, and trembling arms, she carried herself and her companion over to the shelter of Mount Stylahm, taking a seat up against the wall as NIGHT began to cry.

To: NIGHT

They did what?!

I'll try and do my best to get some information on them as soon as possible, so please hang on tight. And I'll try and contact my sister about this too, just so she can keep an eye on it.

I'm really sorry to hear about that; are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?

It was dark out, by now. The woman had been quietly sobbing at the entrance to a cavern, her kitten drying her tears off with his paws as soon as they trickled down her face. She'd prepared water and napkins, but nothing was truly there for her to give her the comfort she needed about nearly dying. Bistro seemed to want revenge; fair enough, she did too. And Fleur, sweet friendly Fleur offered to listen to her. She contemplated taking her up on her offer, before composing another message.

To: Fleur

i nearly fell into a pit of lava
i dont know how else i can describe it
it was really warm, and i thought i was gonna fall
i dont want to die
i dont want to think about it again
i dont know if i want to see them again
but thank you for listening

Hey, it's okay. I'm really sorry it happened to you. You should rest back in town as soon as you're able to, and maybe you should take a break from adventuring for a bit. It might help you take your mind off of things.

I'm sorry. I know this isn't sufficient, but it's the best I can do to try and help. Let me know if you need anything, though.

NIGHT sniffed and sighed, trying to steady her breathing as she read the messages to her informants, now friends. She really thought hard about contacting the other names on her list... but it was hard to do so without imagining it would complicate things, let alone worry them into a witch hunt. Sighing, she let her gaze rest on the soil, still trying to recover her stability.

ID: 131863 | LD: 12 | Sub-Dungeon Search
> Nothing seems out of the ordinary. Probably for the better, this time...

Edited by NIGHT

The moon was a waning crescent, today. Just how she liked it. NIGHT watched the stars come out to play, wondering when she should move. Her body was aching, and the bubbling sizzles were loud, if not distracting. And Nyanko, trying his best to cheer her up, was already still, trying to reserve his energy for when his owner really needed it. He's so precious.

This wasn't exactly the safest place to be at to recover from a near death experience. So, trying her best, she nudged Nyanko, and with a scratchy voice, she whispered to him. "We're going now. C'mon." Her kitten didn't need to be told twice, nuzzling up to her for a moment before returning to his seat in her bag. The adventurer then, slowly, rose from her spot, downing the last of her water in a bottle she had open, before shattering it against the wall nearby, watching its particles drift into the darkness.

By the time she arrived back in Yogan, the moon was already in the middle of the sky. No doubt she'd see it back in the Town of Beginnings as well, and she trained her eyes on it as she let the light whisk her away back to the first floor.

The stranger could be here, lurking. They could ambush you, lying in wait somewhere in the middle of town.

Sweeping away her dark thoughts, she briskly paced over to her workshop, past the orange glowing lamps still lit in the night, and past the thinning crowd of people still walking around the market. Stall owners were getting the last of their goods prepared before they turned in for the night, and NIGHT tried to feel for the crown she'd attached to her waist belt earlier, but found that it wasn't there anymore. But she was all out of curses for the day. Figuring out what happened could come tomorrow.

It felt systematic. Open the door, the bell and chimes cluttering near violently this time, and set Nyanko down to wander around the shop. Instead, the two immediately headed straight to bed, tired from the day's work.

NIGHT would see the stranger in her dreams tonight, taunting her, perched from a rock as she fell, fell, fell...

Edited by NIGHT