[SP-F1] Earning a Living (Elyth)

A beautiful day, it was. And it is always on the most loveliest of days that Elyth was bored out of her mind.

"Agh! The sun is too bright! The wind is too perfect! The sky is too blue! Why am I so boreeed?" Elyth shouted, not caring who heard her complaining in that brilliant summer haze. She plopped back down on the bench she was sitting on before, right in the middle of the Town of Beginnings on the first floor of Aincrad. Obviously, she could go exploring, but she wasn't going to risk getting lost with her horrible sense of direction and table-flipping-inciting navigation skills.

Heh. Skills. There was no skill in her navigation.

Just that thought made her want to uproot the bench, toss it off the tallest floor in Aincrad, and proceed to burn down every single thing in game.

Just another thing to add to the to-do list.

Anyway, she would rather be doing something remarkable just about then! Something like what she would do back home, like watching the neighbors string beads or drawing or building sheds for the stray dogs or ANYTHING more productive...

Productive...

Well, she had her answer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I got it!" Elyth yelled, jumping up and ignoring the curious stares and groans all around her. "I am going to go make stuff!"

"Now, how do I do that...?"

Elyth slumped back down in her chair. Obviously things like «Professions» existed; she had seen some of those awesome blacksmiths and tailors with their shops and signs.

The thing was, how in Aincrad did they get the skills required?

A dilemma.

And it was a dilemma to be solved.

Let the investigation begin.

Elyth rose from her bench and walked to the nearest NPC shop. As she pushed the door open, the NPC inside smiled in the evil, NPC way. Dear lord, no.

"Welcome, traveler! Would you like to purchase some items today?" The shopkeeper asked in her NPC voice.

A screen popped up in front of Elyth's face.

Select:

Teleport Crystal – Gets you out of a dungeon once. It disappears on use. Some areas or boss fight may not let you use it, so use caution! 1000 Col.

Healing Crystal – Heals some of your HP once. It disappears on use. Restores a quarter of maximum HP. 500 Col.

Normal Poison Flask – Adds to your next successful hit with the weapon it is applied to the poison status. This drains 1 HP from the enemy per post, for three posts. 400 Col.

Normal Hunting Trap – This is an average hunting trap. It is undetectable if not with the proper skill. If triggered, it does 1 HP of damage, and the monster or player hit can’t move for one post. They can still attack and defend, though. 400 Col.

Small Bomb – A small, gunpowder made bomb. Once lit and thrown, it explodes damaging all monsters and players in the target area for 2 HP of damage. Sets fire to flammable objects. 700 Col.

Normal Quality Food – You can eat this to recover part of your energy. Usable only out of combat. It disappears on use. Once used, it restores half of your health over the duration of two posts, which must describe the player eating. 100 Col.

Crafting Material – This is a general crafting material. You can use this to craft an Item if you’ve got the right profession. The specifics of the material are up to you. 800 Col.

Confirm:

YES/NO

"Ah... no. But thanks," Elyth said, quickly pressing the "No" on the bottom of the screen.

The NPC looked slightly crestfallen- A marketing trick, I just know it!- before going back to business mode.

"Well then, how can I help you?" She continued, not failing to follow up with a smile.

"I was hoping to learn about professions, ma'am," Elyth stated, smiling in return.

"Ah!" Mrs. Shopkeeper exclaimed. "Well, to start, there are several «Professions». Here is a list of them and their descriptions."

And Elyth was handed a paper.

Merchant: can sell rare items (how they get is their problem) and can appraise specs not normally seen (say a rare weapon dropped they'd be able to tell whether or not it has a special effect).

Smithing: make better, repair, or make anew for weapons and metal armor.

Tailoring: make better, repair, or make anew for leather/cloth armor and accessories.

Artisan: make better, repair, or make anew for jewelry can be metal or leather/cloth.

Alchemy: make potions and upon mastery can make crystals with RARE ingredients.

Performer: sings/plays instruments and performs (acrobatics) for a crowd. In battle this allows you to throw your voice (for pulling monsters to and away) and be more evasive (fancy flips and doges).

Cooking: Basically it's a social thing you eat good things and it maximizes luck for certain things beyond that nothing else.

Fishing: Fishing for regular fish or rare fishes, Making your own fishing rod and crafting items specific to fishing only. This is the only crafting profession that can fish and encounter rare water monsters.

That Artisan one is confusing. Regardless, which «Profession» should I choose?

"Would you know how I can- get?-... get a «Profession»?" Elyth asked the NPC.

"I was told that there were two ways to gain the skills required for a «Profession». One was to learn from a master of the craft, and the other was to try the «Profession»'s «Skills» by oneself," the NPC explained. "However, most crafters of the latter choice end up learning from a master sooner or later, so it is suggested that most people learn from a master early on."

Hmm. I think I'll go for Artisan.

Elyth asked another question. "Do you know where I can find a master of the Artisan «Profession»?"

Here the NPC behind the counter leaned in. "Well, I know someone who can help you with that, traveler, but it's going to be a pain waiting for him. Do you still want to know?"

"Y-yes, ma'am!"

"His name is Chief Craftsmaster Vinci," the NPC continued. "He knows just about everything concerning crafts and their masters around here. Unfortunately, he tends to go wandering and not come back for days, and when he does come back, he locks himself up in his mansion. Perhaps, if you're tenacious or stubborn enough, he'll agree to tell you about what you seek."

This just got very difficult, Elyth thought to herself as she let out an exasperated sigh.

*Ding*

Floor 1- Meeting Chief Craftsmaster Vinci

The shopkeeper has recommended that you go to see Chief Craftsmaster Vinci concerning your profession.

Objective: Find Chief Craftsmaster Vinci.

Reward: Information about your profession and guidance on improvement.

Do you accept?

YES/NO

"Yes."

Added Quest: Floor 1- Meeting Chief Craftsmaster Vinci

"Would you know where the Chief Craftsmaster lives?" Elyth asked. Tenacity she did indeed have, and she was going to sit outside that mansion til Hell grew too hot to stay in business.

"Ah, yes. The Craftsmaster's mansion lies on the outskirts of the city, in much obscurity. You may find it if you follow the art in the Town of Beginnings. Anything else?"

"Uh, do you know where I can get a crafting knife?"

"Why, I have one for sale here. Only 200 col."

Elyth's next destination was her guidebook. Seated on the bench where she had annoyed so many before, she flipped through the guidebook, trying to find a page on Artisans. There was a short paragraph, but it wasn't very detailed. In fact, it was the same

"Let's see- is there really no more information?" Elyth asked, mumbling to herself. "Maybe I should just go and get some wood and start carving... Hopefully, that'll be some practice for me..."

Elyth got up, put everything back in her inventory, and went to the store to buy some wood in mass quantity. Leaving her supply in her inventory, Elyth set out to track down this Craftsmaster's mansion.

"Follow the art..." Elyth muttered to herself, looking around for the art in the Town of Beginnings. The term "art" was a very broad one. What had the NPC meant? Masterpieces and the works of apprentices? Or perhaps it was architecture?

She decided to just walk around for now. The NPC had also said that Vinci lived at the very outskirts of the town, so maybe she should walk along the wall of the town?

• 3 weeks later...

Elyth decide to just take in the view around her. After all, she didn't need to find this guy today, there was always tomorrow, or the day after that, or etc. She scratched her head and sighed. Looks like she had her work cut out for her. She began by observing the nearby buildings.

One particular building, painted in white and alabaster, caught Elyth's eye. Or maybe it was made of marble? Regardless, Elyth went over to investigate. As she gingerly felt the material, she found that it was very cool.

I wonder what material this is, she wondered. Or if I can ever craft something like that...

There was a door next to her. Why not open it? Okay, she was going in.

Elyth braced herself for any emergency escape and pushed open the door to the building.

"Kyaaa!" A scream emanated fromthe figure behind the counter as soon as Elyth walked in.

"Hmm?" Elyth thought aloud nervously. She was more used to people screaming at her after she had done something unsatisfactory. She hadn't done anything here yet- oh.

Elyth finally took a good look around. Two masked persons were pointing their curved blades at another person, this one sprawled on the ground.

YOOOOOOO WHAT DID I JUST SEE Elyth thought, drawing out her own <>.

Battle:

1-4~Miss

5-8~ -1 HP (opposition)

9-10~ CRIT -2 HP (opposition)

Elyth: 19/19 HP

NPC 1: 15/15 HP

NPC 2: 15/15 HP

They're NPCs, Elyth realized. In fact, they were probably mobs, not NPCs, but it would be easier to refer to them as such.

Aiming to gain an advantage, Elyth struck at the first NPC.

Battle:

1-4~Miss

5-8~ -1 HP (opposition)

NPC 1: 15/15 HP

Whelp, Elyth was able to get one damage in. Next was the NPC's turn. Elyth watched their movements, following them as close as she could.

Battle:

1-4~Miss

5-8~ -1 HP (opposition)

NPC 1: 14/15 HP

The blade came down, swinging for Elyth's side. She dodged, moving to another side, only to be hit by the other NPC's sword.

The damage was Critical, knocking two points off Elyth's HP.

Elyth knelt down from the momentary pain and swiped up at the one that had hit her.

Battle:

1-4~Miss

5-8~ -1 HP (opposition)

Elyth: 17/19 HP

"Hut!" Elyth emitted a noise as she swung her sword to block the incoming sword of the other NPC. Fantastic. Her last hit had been a Critical, and she stood in a defensive position as her sword slid away from her opponent's.

Battle:

1-4~Miss

5-8~ -1 HP (opposition)

NPC 2: 13/15 HP

The second NPC again tried to attack. This time, he/she missed. Elyth had just barely ducked an incoming swipe and deflected the other NPC's attempt at her legs.

Battle:

1-4~Miss

5-8~ -1 HP (opposition)

Elyth couldn't find the most opportune moment to attack. So she remained on the defense, and missing a fine opportunity to attack.

Meanwhile, the two NPCs were at it again.

One swiped down at Elyth, and stall her movement.

Battle:

1-4~Miss

5-8~ -1 HP (opposition)

Elyth blocked, and felt something being inserted into her digital body. It felt like... Like... Like a nedle... Needle... On the back of her... Her neck...

"Achoo!" Elyth sneezed, suddenly seeing herself on the floor, looking up at the person before her. "Uh, who?"

"I'm Nim, the clerk at this library, and the owner of this library. May I know to whom I am speaking?"

"I'm Elyth, nice to meet you," Elyth said as she sat up.

"Well, hello, Elyth. You came in through the door at a most inopportune time. You see, I was asking to see their swords- the persons you attacked, I mean, and you came in through the door and attacked them, so I had to put you down before you killed them," Nim nonchalantly explained. "It's all done now, no need to panic."

Elyth blankly nodded, still a bit stumped. That explanation still didn’t explain the person on the floor earlier, but fine. That and she didn’t want to know anymore.

She took a look around. It was a library, as Nim had told her. And it was one of those libraries whose sheer size made her want to cry.

tumblr_inline_mufg89GCYL1s4rp7m.gif

Okay, it was kind of immature of her to start tearing up right there, but it was a library.

This place was going to be one of her homes from now on.

Yup

Nevertheless, her original objective was still to be fulfilled. Elyth turned to Nim. “Excuse me,, Nim? Would you be so kind as to assist me and my quest to become an artisan?â€

"Well, I could certainly help you find some reference material," Nim joked as he nonchalantly flipped through the pages of a thick bound book. "But otherwise I'm afraid I will be of much help, Elyth."

"That'd be great!" Elyth exclaimed, jumping off on the floor and into a standing position. "Thank you so much!"

Nim raised an eyebrow and slammed his book shut with one hand. “Well, don’t expect me to find them all in one day. It’s going to take some time. Meanwhile, I will redirect you to《The Caves of Emanon》, a location just outside Horunka Village. I expect you to come back with 10 shards of Quaetid Iron from the Quaetid Golems that dwell there. Here is a map, and be generous in collecting wood along the way."

"Collecting wood?" Elyth wondered aloud.

"Yes- go get a hatchet and collect some wood. 5 trees should give you sufficient wood," Nim stated, holding out a small folded piece of paper. "Now go, Elyth, and hurry up."

*Ding*

Quest: Floor 1- Making a Living (Part II)

Nim the librarian has asked you to gather 10 shards of Quaetid Iron and 5 tree's worth of wood.

*Ding*

Quest Accepted.

Goals:

0/10 shards of Quaetid Iron

0/5 trees