[F24 - SP] Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

In a single, fluid motion, Dawn's Demise carved through the air and into Avalanche's wrist, severing the appendage entirely. The beast roared as it stepped back, swinging its still intact limb viciously from side to side. Given his slippery footing against the snow, he was able to do little more than put Dawn's Demise between himself and the monster, taking the brunt of the attack before being sent hurtling backward.

He skipped and slid across the ground before his back found one of the nearby trees, the air in his lungs exploding outward as he made impact. In his fervor, he had forgotten that he could feel actual pain in whatever world his mind had concocted, and the agonizing sensation that pressed against his ribs made it difficult to refill the air that had been lost. With slow, methodical, and deliberate effort he was eventually able to collect his breath. 

As he rose to his feet, back still pressed against the pine to steady himself, the pain did not leave him. It clung to his rib cage and spine like hot molasses, slowing his movements and forcing him to find anchor points in the environment to move reliably. How would he be able to carry on the fight in a state like this?

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 1030-37=993/1030 | EN: 95+1-13=83/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-13 EN

Pseudo-Avalanche: HP: 1000-247=753/1000 | DMG: 150 | ID: 132900 | BD: 3+3=6, Hit for 19x13=247 | MD: 10, Crit for 152-79=73/2=37 DMG | STUN INFLICTED

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At any rate, it seemed that he would have time to find a way. Psuedo-Avalanche was still reeling from his Parry, which gave Bahr a bit of breathing room to consider his options. The reprieve would be short lived, but with each successful breath he took, he felt strength returning to his body. He pushed off from the tree, a bit wobble at first, but eventually managed to find his footing and stay his ground as the creature before him shook off its stun.

It honestly seemed a bit silly, in the end, to find himself at odds with this creature once more. Alone. He'd never needed to do that before. So why now? And where was Kirbs? Bahr had been certain it would be her he would square off against. Had his mind decided to take it easy on him and make him fight a meager ice Monster instead?

Not likely.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 993/1030 | EN: 83+1-2=82/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 
Parry cooldown: 1/2 Turns
Justified Riposte cooldown: 1/3 Turns

Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-2 EN FOR MISS

Pseudo-Avalanche: HP: 753/1000 | DMG: 150 | ID: 132983 | BD: 2+3=5, Miss | MD: STUNNED | STUN EXPIRES

Staying on the defensive would be a sure fire way to get himself thwacked into a tree again. With careful and measured offense, he could take this thing down in two strikes and spare himself any more pain. This was a nice platitude in theory, but how things would play out remained to be seen. Hitting something as big as this and getting away unscathed was easy enough in a party. But alone was a completely different story. With each point of damage inflicted against it, its movements would become more animal and unpredictable. Bahr's only hope was to take it out quickly, before it became to frenetic.

His blade found itself in the creature's abdomen, thick black energy pulsing through the creature and out its back. It pounded the ground where Bahr was with its single remaining fist, the clumsy attack easy enough to avoid by retrieving his blade and sliding underneath the monster, between its legs. Now on the other side with Avalanche's back turned, Bahr poised himself for another strike.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 993/1030 | EN: 82+1-13=70/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 
Parry cooldown: 2/2 Turns
Justified Riposte cooldown: 2/3 Turns

Pseudo-Avalanche: HP: 753-403=350/1000 | DMG: 150 | ID: 132985 | BD: 8 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x13=403 DMG | MD: 7-4=3, Miss

He'd thought that it would be easy enough, attacking a beast when it had its back turned to him. But such a mindset was a foolish one, adopted by the weak and inexperienced. He should have known better. He'd fought enough mobs up to this point to have learned better. But still, he allowed his zeal to get the best of him, carving into the monster's back without a followup maneuver in mind. 

And he paid for it.

Avalanche may not have had a lot going on in that thick, icy, Neanderthalian skull, but it was smart enough to know that it couldn't turn around fast enough to make a move. So instead, it simply flopped backward, allowing its size and weight to do all of the work for it. Bahr hadn't the traction to move himself out of the way in time, and found himself crushed beneath the creature's weight. With a bit of wriggling and all the strength he could muster, he found himself beyond the monster's frigid frame and scrambled to his feet.

By a stroke of luck, the thick blanket of snow had allowed him to avoid feeling too much pain. There had merely been the temporary uncomfortability of pressure and the difficulty to breathe. Now the monster seemed to be on its last legs, not even attempting to heave itself back up off of the ground after its last ditch attack. It was time to end this.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 993-73=920/1030 | EN: 70+1-13=58/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 
Justified Riposte cooldown: 3/3 Turns

Pseudo-Avalanche: HP: 350-247=103/1000 | DMG: 150 | ID: 132986 | BD: 4+3=7, Hit for 19x13=247 DMG | MD: 10, Crit for 152-79=73 DMG

The blade crashed down, and the monster's icy body splintered to pieces. The shreds left behind all simultaneously burst into puffs of blue triangles, and the deed was done. The loot panel was dismissed as soon as it popped into existence with a wave of Bahr's hand, before he allowed his body to fall backward into the snow with a harsh thud. 

It was cold, but with the searing hot pain from his ribs permeating the rest of his body, he hardly took notice. Labored breaths escaped his lungs through his mouth in thick plumes, exhaustion creeping into his peripheries in the form of swirling black tendrils. Losing consciousness here wasn't an option, but he couldn't will his body to move. Even every breath he took felt like a million tiny Lich Kings skewering him to the ground all at once, just as they had Lessa. Slowly drinking away his vitality as his heart pounded mercilessly against his rib cage, each beat sending additional pangs of anguish and nausea surging through him. It was all he could do to keep his lungs moving.

This was still only the beginning. This was still only the beginning. How the hell was he going to make it through this?

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 920/1030 | EN: 70+1-13=58/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

Bahr used [x7] Astral Hell-7 EN

Pseudo-Avalanche: HP: 103/1000 | DMG: 150 | ID: 132987 | BD: 10, Crit for 21x7=147 DMG | Pseudo-Avalanche defeated

Looting
Pseudo-Avalanche
ID: 132988
11000 + 5% (Guild Buff) = 11550 col
(2) T3 Materials

• 2 weeks later...

"There he lays, half buried in the snow. A Bahr in his natural habitat."

That voice. Bahr struggled to sit up and point himself toward the direction of the voice, but it was an exercise in futility. He flopped back down after having only risen a few inches at most, grunting as his breath hitched on the pain.

"A little pathetic. But hey! You defeated the monster! Didn't even need my help this time."

Kirbs?

He shot up, ignoring the slowly waning rib injury that screamed at him for doing so. He blinked owlishly at the apparition that stood in front of him. Kirbs, in the flesh. Though, Bahr knew it wasn't true. This was all destined to go horribly awry in a few moments.

"... So-" he grunted as he slowly rose to his feet, recollecting Dawn's Demise from where it had buried itself in the snow. "Saw that, did you?" A free arm hugged his rib cage as he stood, hunched over a bit with a pained smile stretched across his face. Despite the circumstances, it was still good to see her. Even if the last time they had crossed paths was him going off on her and comparing her to Pinball of all people.

"Yeah. Kinda painful to watch, honestly. How're those ribs of yours doing?" the mused, cocking her head as her signature grin played at her lips. It was horrendously authentic. Everything about this breathed the life of genuine Kirbs.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 920+30=950/1030 | EN: 58+1=59/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

"Better," he managed with a slight wince. It was mostly a lie, but not entirely. As he'd noticed before, the healing properties of Sword Art still seemed to be in full swing, and he could feel his cracked ribs slowly starting to pull themselves back together. There was not telling how long it would take to feel good again, but if he could draw out the conversation a bit longer, maybe he could-

"Good!" she exclaimed as her spear materialized in her palm. It was the same he'd remembered her having. The very one she had thrust through his abdomen last they'd met. "We gonna get this show on the road, then, or what?" Ready to get down to business. So typical of Kirbs.

"N-not exactly..." he muttered, taking a weak step forward.

"Awww, a-are we st-stuttering now? How cute. Ya scared?"

"No, it's not that, it's just..."

"Out with it already, you pansy."

There had been certain elements to Kirbs that Bahr had liked, and others he had not. Her relentless taunting had always gotten on his nerves, but there was a camaraderie behind it. This was different. Bahr knew that if he let her close the distance before he was ready, this fake would absolutely take his life without a second thought. This was kill or be killed.

"I'm sorry," he spat unceremoniously, averting his eyes. "I just... I never thought that when I said those things to you, it would be the last time I ever saw you. I never imagined that that was the end between us. I'm so, so sorry. I've regretted it ever since I learned the truth." He wanted to say more, but he didn't have the words. All he could think to say was, "You're not like Pinball at all. You never were."

Silence as the cold wind rolled through. His ribs felt good enough to at least move properly now, but he still wasn't at 100%. He knew he couldn't stall any longer.

"Is that all?" she inquired as she readied her spear, her expression changed from light and warm to stern and cold.

"... Yeah, that's all."

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 950+30=980/1030 | EN: 100/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

They both lunged forward at the same moment, Dawn's Demise sounding a metallic hiss through the air as it clashed with Rose Thorns. They passed one another, both unscathed, but by the time Bahr had turned around she was already upon him. Dozens of lunges and jabs were leveled against him in what felt like the blink of an eye. Some were feints, others were genuine attacks, and it was impossible to discern one from another. Through the grace of the magnificent evasive maneuvers the system carried him through, he miraculously managed to weave through the onslaught of attacks before leaping backward and readying his blade for the next pass. 

"Aww, you big chicken," she taunted, twirling her spear before bringing its staff to rest on her shoulders. She rested her arms over the length of the weapon, assuming a relaxed posture. "I was this close." She pinched the index finger and thumb of one of her hands impossible close to one another and squinted at the gesture, before flashing him a grin. "You always were the type to run, rather than face confrontation head-on. In combat, anyways. I could never decide whether I admired that about you, or hated it." She tapped her chin and rolled her eyes upward, peering into the sky as though pondering the situation. By the time her eyes had come to rest on his once more, they were completely deadpan. "Now that I'm on the receiving end, I think I've made my decision."

Dramatic little sh*t.

"Funny you should mention that," he replied coyly, a wry smile reaching his lips. "That sort of tactic is exactly how I beat you the last time I had a little fever dream like this." Getting her agitated was a good way to get her to make mistakes. Bahr had learned this countless times in the past. A few jabs here or there could tip the scales. Though, things were different here, obviously. She merely rolled her eyes in response.

"Yeah yeah, talk smack all you want. You know I always dealt more damage than you did. Still do, probably. Wanna find out?"

"Yeah," came Bahr's cool response as he tightened his grip around the hilt of his weapon. "Let's."

Spoiler

Encounter: Youth Rising
HP: 1200
DMG: 250
MIT: 40

ACC: 2
EVA: 1
Youth Rising gets its own roll, based on BD. On a natural BD of 9-10, Youth Rising will inflict Bleed against the player for 36 unmitigatable damage at the beginning of their turn for the next two turns.
Field condition activated at 50% or lower health.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 980/1030 | EN: 100-2=98/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

ID: 134173 | BD: 2+3-1=4, Miss

Youth Rising: HP: 1200/1200 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36
ID: 134174 | BD: 4+2-4=2, Miss

As though on cue, Kirbs lunged forward. This time, Bahr was ready. As the rapid series of hacks and jabs were thrust his way, he studied the pattern of her attacks and waited for an opening. It required diligence and patience. Almost too much patience. Any longer, and he almost certainly would have taken a hit. But when the time was right, he leaned in toward her, placing his weapon against his shoulder and grinding it along the overextended tip of the spear. It flashed into color as he approached, flicks of smoky black energy tainting the deep crimson before he slammed the blade down. 

A direct hit, scored straight across her torso. Her armor offered a bit of resistance to the weapon, but it was essentially negligible against the force of Dawn's Demise. Her health bar instantly plummeted by at least a quarter, and the young redhead doubled back with a shriek as blood began to pour from the fresh would like a hellish waterfall. If it had been any ordinary fight in Aincrad, Bahr would have been delighted to score such an effective hit against his former rival. But the pained expression she wore, along with the scarlet liquid that flowed from the gash and stained the snow below, filled him with pure disgust. 

"Gotten a bit stronger, aye?" she hissed, hunching over and coughing harshly into her elbow. "Well..." Heavy breathing. She actually needed to catch her breath before continuing. Bahr couldn't exactly tell from where he was, but it appeared as though the wound had left her dizzy. "So have I."

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 980/1030 | EN: 98+1-13=86/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

ID: 134205 | BD: 8+3-1=10 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x13=403-40=364 DMG

Youth Rising: HP: 1200-364=836/1200 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36
ID: 134206 | BD: 1, Miss

Bahr needed to end this quickly. Drawing this out would only make her suffer more, and he needed to keep moving. Beyond that, he hated the scowl she wore. It held so much contempt for him. The thing was, he felt like he deserved it. After all, it was during their last encounter that he had pierced a sword through her stomach and cast her away, likening her to a serial killer. Now here he was, locking her in yet another fight to the death.

If there was a piece of Kirbs that remained within this apparition, it was Bahr's duty to put it to rest and end its torment. She deserved to pass on peacefully.

He didn't waste any time closing the distance between them. Two powerful strides, and his blade ripped through her again, casting another diagonal laceration across her torso that crossed over the first. Instantly, blood geysered from the wound, splattering against his coat as the varying hues of red began to blend. Her body lost all tension and collapsed backward into the snow. 

She was still breathing, but the action was shaky and labored. "Jesus, Bahr," she croaked weakly, not moving from her position. "You've really got it out for me, huh?"

He started to speak, but it got caught in his throat. He cleared it, then tried again. "It's not... It's not like that, Kirbs," he said softly, trying to sound somehow reassuring given the circumstances. It made him feel like dirt. "I just need to move forward. I still care for you, and I will avenge you. But I can't let you kill me here."

"So that's how it is?" Her voice seemed to hold a mixture of scorn and disbelief. "Unfortunately for you, you don't really get a choice in the matter."

What was happening? Suddenly, it seemed like everything was moving. The trees in front of him slowly turned into the sky, millions of tiny snowflakes cascading from it directly toward him. He felt something, but it was distant. Like his entire body had been jolted. Kirbs was saying something else, but it was completely muffled. He couldn't make out a word of it. There was a much more pervasive sound ringing through his skull, a high pitched and persistent whine. 

When the noise finally started to fade, so too did the numbness. Pain. So much pain. His palm searched for the source of it, and found a large hole in his abdomen. Each breath he took was short and restricted, so as not to agitate the gaping wound. He could feel snowflakes falling into the cavity and melting instantly, chilling him from the inside out. Where was he? On the ground, looking up. By the time Kirbs had come into view, staring down at him with a coy grin, his sense of hearing began to return.

"... actually stupid enough to think you had the upper hand. What a joke."

This was bad.

Spoiler

Field condition activated if Youth Rising is reduced to 50% HP or less: Sinister Aura
Player loses all mitigation.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 980-250=730/1030 | EN: 86+1-13=74/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3

Field condition: SINISTER AURA
 ACTIVE

ID: 134207 | BD: 6+3-1=8 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x13=403-40=364 DMG

Youth Rising: HP: 836-364=472/1200 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36
ID: 134208 | BD: 9, Hit for 250 DMG | 
BLEED INFLICTED

Hit her. Hit her. She's right there.

But his arm refused to move. Tremors took over his frame as he exerted the effort, pained gusts escaping his lips as his eyes remained shakily locked with hers. Try as he might, it was no use. To make matters worse, he could feel his vitality slipping away bit by bit, leaking through the fresh hole she had given him. She laughed and placed her boot against his wrist, grinding into it until the pain forced him to release his grip on Dawn's Demise.

"I'll never get tired of that determination, Bahr," she admitted on an amused exhale. "Do you even know what you're fighting for at this point? Let me guess, some girl, right? That's so you. You find someone and put them on a pedestal, then wonder why they'll never love you. You make them uncomfortable. You make yourself disposable. You're such an idiot." That last bit was delivered with a wicked giggle. 

The hell do you know, you smug little gremlin? He couldn't get the words to come out. 

"What? What is it, boy? Trying to say something?" She squatted to get a closer look at him, her weight digging further into his wrist. "Oh, right. This is the part where you'd usually give some half-assed retort, right? Don't make me laugh."

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 730-36=694/1030 | EN: 74+1-2=73/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

ACTIVE

ID: 134209 | BD: 2+3-1=4, Miss

Youth Rising: HP472/1200 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36
ID: 134210 | BD: 4+2-4=2, Miss | 
BLEED INFLICTS 36 DMG

"I'll let you in on a little something, Bahrnacle," she jeered as she leaned in even closer. His vision was still blurry, but when she was this close, he could see her facial features perfectly. She appeared weathered, and pale. Sunken eyes. Wait... there weren't any eyes at all. Her lips had all but torn away. She was decaying. "Nobody cares. Nobody cares about your 'witty' comebacks. Nobody cares about your quest to save the girl. And nobody cares about the fact that you're about to die here like a dog being put down."

She stood, finally releasing his wrist from her boot's pressure. It remained in the cold snow completely limp. He knew this was an opportunity to strike back, but he still couldn't will his body to move.

"Except the people at your funeral, maybe. But even half of them will be faking it. You've been dead to them for years." All he could do was glare at her. Rage boiled within him, but it wasn't sufficient to spur his broken body into motion. "And when they drop that casket and your energy supernovas into the cosmos, I hope it gets wrapped around a black hole. I hope time grinds to a halt for you, then reverses. Then you can relive it all again, but backwards. Every tormenting memory, every regret, every instance of intense physical pain. All of your accomplishments, everything you worked for slipping away as you spiral back into infancy and utter nonexistence."

This isn't her, he kept reminding himself over and over again. This isn't her.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 694-36=660/1030 | EN: 73+1-2=72/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

ACTIVE

ID: 134211 | BD: 3+3-1=5, Miss

Youth Rising: HP: 472/1200 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36
ID: 134212 | BD: 3+2-4=1, Miss | 
BLEED INFLICTS 36 DMG | BLEED EXPIRES

"And to think," she scoffed, "She probably doesn't even like you back, whoever she is."

The final straw. The bleed concluded, enough strength was finally returning that Bahr was able to seize Dawn's Demise and clumsily swipe it through the air, the brisk motion catching the adversarial lunatic off guard and tearing into the back of her knee. She crumpled with a mighty bellow, dropping her weapon and bringing both hands to the fresh wound, writhing in agony. Bahr planted the tip of his sword into the snow and slowly stood, straining with an unflattering grunt as he heaved himself to his feet.

The sight was a pitiful one. Everywhere we looked the white had been stained red. In fact, even the flakes falling from the heavens were crimson now, melting as they met with the skins of the pair and drenching them both in blood. He wanted to believe that the battle was over, but he knew better. This thing wouldn't stop until he was dead. 

What came next was inevitable.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 660/1030 | EN: 72+1-13=60/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

ACTIVE

ID: 134213 | BD: 5+3-1=7, Hit for 19x13=247-40=207 DMG

Youth Rising: HP: 472-207=265/1200 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36
ID: 134214 | BD: 3+2-4=1, Miss

He plunged Dawn's Demise into her chest, the tip of the blade extending through her and into the soil, anchoring her to the ground. She sputtered and coughed, her lungs no longer capable of holding the air she was desperately gulping down. She couldn't talk like this, but she'd done enough talking. It was Bahr's turn.

"I hate this," he admitted, a tear escaping his eyelids and running down the length of his cheek. "This whole wretched situation. The fact that you're dead. The fact that I was too busy being mad at you to help. I should have been there for you." She was barely moving now, and despite the fact that there was nothing in her eye sockets, Bahr could tell that she was looking at him. Listening intently. "It breaks my heart. Everything that happened between us, and what happened to you." The tears were flowing now, a constant stream that ran down along his strained visage. "And here I am, doing the same thing because I need to move forward. It's so selfish, but I can't stop."

It was nearing the end. The convulsions had stopped, and her pained breathing was shallow and slow. He needed to wrap this up.

"You were one of my closest friends. You and Kit, I never would have had the strength to move past the first floor if not for you. I remember the time I sent you that message, just filled to the brim with typos because of my sleep deprivation, and you came to help simply to make sure I wasn't on drugs or something. When you warned us about Pinball, and how we should stay away even though he saved us from that dragon. The time we fought beasts like the Monkey King, or played hacky sack with a helpless reptilian quest boss. Took down Avalanche and rolled down a mountain in a giant snowball. They're all cherished memories to me. And..." This was it. Her final breath. He had to get it out now. "I love you, too."

Gone.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 660/1030 | EN: 60+1-13=48/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

ACTIVE

ID: 134217 | BD: 6+3-1=8 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x13=403-40=364 DMG | Youth Rising defeated

Youth Rising: HP: 265-364=0/1200 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36

Looting
You
th Rising
ID: 134217
LD: 6+3=9 | CD: 2
19200 + 5% (Guild Buff) = 20160 col
(1) T3 Uncommon Consumable

He fell to his knees once she had dissipated, half due to the physical fatigue and pain, half from grief. A tear fell from his cheek, then another, piercing through the sheet of crimson snow below and pooling against the hardened earth. She was gone now. She was gone before, but she was gone now. He hadn't given himself time to process her death, and now it was all clawing its way to the surface. He'd taken for granted the idea that he could deal with it all once he exacted vengeance against Pinball, but he'd been lying to himself the whole time. Killing Pinball wouldn't make him feel any better, in the end. That needed to come from within.

The small puddle of tears began to shine, a bright light that permeated the entirety of the liquid. A warmth accompanied the glow as well, seeping through Bahr's bloodstained armor and into his core. This light spread to the rest of the surrounding area, across the snowy plain before crawling up each and every tree. Bahr's illuminated eyes danced about as he witnessed the phenomenon, trying to piece together what was happening. Slowly, the environment began to evaporate, the earth and snow and trees scattered and carried away on the breeze. Even the sky itself seemed to splinter and fade away. Flushing into place behind them was a wide array of colors. Rich hues of blue, deep greens, various dots of color lining the environment in the form of flowers and bushes and spread out trees. Warmth entered the fray as the sun materialized in the clear sky.

The first floor again. But not that just, a very specific area of the first floor. Bahr was close to where it had all started. If he wanted to proceed, he would need to bring it all to an end. Again.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 660+30=690/1030 | EN: 48+1=49/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3 | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

Bahr grabbed the hilt of Dawn's Demise, the tip of which was still planted in the soil, and used it to steady himself as he slowly rose to his feet. There was a wince, and his free hand found the hole in his stomach once he stood. He'd taken more damage in that last fight than he was comfortable with, and if he wanted to continue pressing onward, he would need to find a way to earn some of it back. Faster than passive healing, judging by the rapid succession of these fights. 

He swiped his finger downward and the menu populated before him. As he navigated to the inventory panel, he took a moment to let his eyes wander to the floor information. Floor 24, just like before. Ignoring that, he found what he was looking for and equipped it. Dawn's Demise flashed with a golden glow before shifting in shape, leaving Dracbane behind. The Tier Two weapon was objectively weaker than Dawn's Demise, but it had its benefits. One of which was a lifesteal property that he had been spoiled by in the past. Hopefully he could find something to smack around so he could regain some of the vitality he had lost.

DAWN'S DEMISE (T3 - FALLEN | FALLEN | PHASE | BLEED) SWAPPED OUT FOR DRACBANE (T2 - VAMPIRIC OFFENSE | ACC | BLEED)

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 690+30=720/1030 | EN: 100/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | BLD: 24 | LD: 3 | VAMPIRIC OFFENSE | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

It didn't take long for them to find them. Or, for them to find him, rather. A grouping of boars the likes of which had no place on the first floor. They were bipedal and wore armor across their chests and shoulders, their front hooves replaced by clawed hands that gripped any variety of weapons. Despite their impressive size and muscular stature, they looked weak enough for Bahr to dispatch handily. 

Dracbane adopted a fierce red hue as Bahr dashed in, cleaving a gash into all of their stomachs by swinging the thirsty weapon in a single, wide arc. Though the attack had been successful, it had strained Bahr's injuries, causing him to gasp and once again grip the wound that Kirbs had left behind on his stomach. One of the creatures took advantage of this vulnerability, cracking its club into his rib cage and sending him reeling backward. Strangely enough, he felt better after the exchange than he had walking into it. If not for the lifesteal, it certainly would have hurt far worse.

Spoiler

Encounter: Bipedal Boar 1
HP: 500
DMG: 150

Encounter: Bipedal Boar 2

Encounter: Bipedal Boar 3

Encounter: Bipedal Boar 4

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 720+103-73=750/1030 | EN: 100-20=80/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | BLD: 24 | LD: 3 | VAMPIRIC OFFENSE | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

Bahr used [x12 AoE] Calamity Disaster-12 EN

Bipedal Boar 1: HP: 500-228=272/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134304 | BD: 3, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | MD: 2, Miss | -2 EN
Bipedal Boar 2: HP: 500-252-24=224/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134305 | BD: 10, Crit for 21x12=252 DMG | BLEED INFLICTED | BLEED INFLICTS 24 DMG | VAMPIRIC OFFENSE HEALS 103 HP | MD: 8-4=4, Miss | -2 EN
Bipedal Boar 3: HP: 500-228=272/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134306 | BD: 4, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG |  MD: 1, Miss | -2 EN
Bipedal Boar 4: HP: 500-228=272/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134307 | BD: 6, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | MD: 10, Crit for 152-79=73 DMG | -2 EN
-20 ENERGY TOTAL

When he ripped into the herd again, Dracbane only managed to find its mark on three out of four of the monsters, one of which burst into a cloud of polygonal fractals. This time, however, there was no sharp pain. Nothing that forced him to hunch over and take another hit. His weapon was serving its purpose, refilling his health and making him stronger. With each successful pass he took at the mobs, his focus became sharper, his body grew stronger, and his movements more fluid. 

So when they launched their counter attack, Bahr was ready. Sidestep the spear plunging forward. Duck under the club sweeping overhead. Catch the sword with Dracbane, then dismiss it. He then took a step back and assumed a battle-ready stance, his eyes challenging the crazed animals to make their next move. The two he had struck previously hung on by a mere thread, and the third could be dispatched with a well placed strike. One or two more rounds of this, and it would be over.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 750+103=853/1030 | EN: 80+1-18=63/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | BLD: 24 | LD: 3 | VAMPIRIC OFFENSE | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

Bipedal Boar 1: HP: 272-228=44/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134308 | BD: 8, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | MD: 7-4=3, Miss | -2 EN
Bipedal Boar 2: HP: 224-252=0/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134309 | BD: 10, Crit for 21x12=252 DMG VAMPIRIC OFFENSE HEALS 103 HP | Bipedal Boar 2 defeated | -2 EN
Bipedal Boar 3: HP: 272-228=44/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134310 | BD: 2+4=6, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG |  MD: 4, Miss | -2 EN
Bipedal Boar 4: HP: 272/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134311 | BD: 1, Miss | MD: 2, Miss | -2 EN
-18 ENERGY TOTAL

Looting

Bipedal Boar 2
ID: 134312
LD: 2+3=5 | CD: 1
5500 + 5% (Guild Buff) = 5775 col
(2) T3 Materials

As Dracbane lurched forward and stole the life of two more boars, Bahr was disappointed to find that it had failed to suck away that life essence and convert it into something useful for him. Instead it was squandered and carried away on the breeze along with the rest of the pixels. An opportunity still remained in the final boar, however. It stumbled backward clumsily as a result of Bahr's successful hit, jeering at him before stepping forward and swinging its massive club. 

A clumsy and choreographed maneuver. It was one thing when Bahr was wounded and outnumbered, but to expect an attack like that to hit its mark was naive. Bahr would have needed to be a complete pushover to let it happen. He took a calm step backward and watched as the club whiffed, allowing a grin to creep across his face as he did. These things were almost too easy, considering how difficult everything had been up to this point. Where was the catch?

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 853/1030 | EN: 63+1-18=46/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | BLD: 24 | LD: 3 | VAMPIRIC OFFENSE | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

Bipedal Boar 1: HP: 44-228=0/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134313 | BD: 5+4=9, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | Bipedal Boar 1 defeated | -2 EN
Bipedal Boar 3: HP: 44-228=0/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134314 | BD: 2+4=6, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | Bipedal Boar 3 defeated | -2 EN
Bipedal Boar 4: HP: 272-228=44/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134315 | BD: 7, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | MD: 4, Miss | -2 EN
-18 ENERGY TOTAL

Looting

Bipedal Boar 1
ID: 134316
LD: 12+3=15 | CD: 5
(2) T3 Materials
(1) T3 Rare Weapon [ID: 134316A]
(1) T3 Uncommon Consumable [ID: 134316B]

Bipedal Boar 3
ID: 134317
LD: 18+3=21 | CD: 3
(2) T3 Materials
(1) T3 Perfect Weapon [ID: 134317A]
(1) T3 Perfect Armor/Shield [ID: 134317B]

Just as Bahr was getting ready to finish the job, the most peculiar thing happened. It began to speak.

"You know not of the forces in which you deal." The voice was impossibly low and foreboding, grungy and strained. Bahr cocked his head to the side and gave it a curious look. Was he talking to boars now? Just how messed up in the head had he become?

"Uhm... Excuse me?" he replied, the most bizarre sensation gripping him as the strangeness of the situation settled in. The whole thing was making his skin crawl.

"Keep your eyes focused. Keep your ears pricked. Keep looking behind you. One day it will find you, and it will cut you down. You'll find the one holding the blade to be none other than yourself."

Was it stalling? Trying to mess with him? Or was this a genuine warning? What did it even mean? Trying to decipher it now seemed like a wasted effort. 

"Yeah, okay buddy. I'll try and remember that."

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 853/1030 | EN: 46+1-2=45/100 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | BLD: 24 | LD: 3 | VAMPIRIC OFFENSE | FIREPROOF | PROSPERITY 3 

Bahr used [x7] Astral Hell-2 EN FOR MISS

Bipedal Boar 4: HP: 44/500 | DMG: 150 | ID: 134318 | BD: 1, Miss | MD: 4, Miss