[F02-PP] I need another break, is that okay? -- <<Long Live The Queen>>

It had been a while since NIGHT had messaged any of the info brokers she knew. The last she had heard, Fleur told her to stand down and take a break for some time, until her anxieties rolled over. But she found herself still fidgety, this morning in bed, wanting to go out and explore. And if not on the higher floors for way of safety, then perhaps a hike out to the lower ones would do.

With a swipe, the woman pulled open her friends list, rolling over in bed, wrapped up snugly in her blanket. This... might actually be a perfect chance to relax and bond with someone else she knew. If only she could get in contact with them; most of her friends seemed to be missing or busy, like that kid who got stuck in Urbus for two years. Or the whole wolf-and-owl relationship square. What was Randal even doing, anyway? Cooking?

As she scrolled to the bottom of her friends list, the newest addition to the menu rolled up, and NIGHT found herself retreating back into her blankets, hiding further away from them, trying not to see it.

<Ceres>

...Wouldn't she be busy? Surely it was odd to call someone you'd just met to hang out with you, right? NIGHT continued trying to reason with herself, a hand on the interface and another covering her face with the sheets. A-and she really did have to get over her feelings soon. It didn't help at all in their interactions when she was this jumpy, this embarrassed about everything the redhead did. How could she...?

--It would happen. It would happen, eventually, as all things took its time. And that it was normal. That's what she told herself, as she mustered up the courage to tap on the message button, still not moving the sheets from her face.

To: Ceres

hy um wanna do smth tgt
im all out of plans 2day
questing myb

NIGHT continued to hesitate, eyes half lidded to blur the contents of her message. What did she do when she started out questing to help her get more stats? A thought and an urge came into her mind, recalling how Yukiro basically tore down a wasp queen in sheer anger, as the two had been stalking it through the forest. She never did get the last hit on that boss, did she?

Well, she wanted it. A little too badly, if she were bold enough to add.

u wanna fight a wasp queen

Coiling up in her blankets, she hit send, her face now fully buried into her bed. NIGHT tried to ignore her bated breath and the delay before the reply would come in.

If Ceres was even interested at all, anyway.

@Ceres

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 25 | HP: 500 | EN: 50 | SP: 76
ACC: 3 | DMG: 14 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 0 | PARALYZE: 2 | KEEN: 1

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -
  4. - - - 

• Survival | Passive 

[Examine]

• [T2E3] Tobi-Kadachi
    "WEAPON: A guillotine that's banded with bandages. The long, smooth grey blade has been polished to a tee, curving slightly outwards at its tip. The blunt edge of the sword is layered with scales and fur of blue and purple. On its hilt, an oversize round rain guard is laced with thick fur. Uncharacteristically, there is also a loop where the pommel should be, perfect for hanging key chains on it."
    -- [ Paralyze II | Natural successful attack rolls of 8-10 remove the enemy’s action on their next turn. Paralyzed opponents lose any evasion properties. ]
    -- [ Keen | After a successful attack, gain +1 BD until your next successful attack, at which point this bonus is removed. Another successful attack will reactivate this enhancement. ]
  • [T1E3] Threads of Dexterity
    "LIGHT ARMOR: Black primarily, with accents of white, modeled like a set of running shoes. Feels like them too. Cleats are found at the sole, giving the user extra traction on smooth surfaces."
    -- [ Evasion III | +3 EVA ]
  • [T1E3] Eye of Horus Enamel Pin
    "HEAVY ARMOR: While most enamel pins are golden, this one's has been painted in black. A circular and triangular base have been overlaid on each other, encapsulating the Eye of Horus within. The markings where the Egyptian pattern stands out are laced with gold."
    -- [ Accuracy III | +3 ACC ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (3) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides 50 temporary HP.

[Misc]

• Aincrad Trading Post Guild Membership
    -- [ ATP Guild Bonus | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]
  • Familiar <Nyanko>
    -- [ Familiar Mastery: Fighter | +6 DMG ]
Edited by NIGHT

It was early morning, and thanks to the recent quests that she had completed - Ceres was able to afford a meal, a real hot meal When was the last time she had eaten so well? She sat before a plate of buttered toast, watching it melt and ooze into the crevices of the thickly cut slices. She picked one up and closed her eyes savouring the flavour. How did something so simple taste so good? 

Lilac eyes glanced out the window - not many people were awake this early huh? She supposed she was always a morning person. The scenery was a nice change - The woman had barely left the Town of Beginnings yet here she sat in a tavern in Urbus. The biggest settlement on the second floor.  That was her plan. Slowly get used to each floor as she moved up them.

When it suited her - Ceres would move up to the third -then fourth, then fifth…. Perhaps skipping the less desirable floors. Those filled with nothing but sand or molten lava. Who in their right minds would stay in a place like that?

Just as Ceres was about to take another bite of toast, she got a ping. She blinked. Oh. It was message, from NIGHT. Ceres opened it up. She had to re-read it a few times to make sense of it. Having not being used to the typing mannerisms the other had used.

Oh, she wanted to go on another quest? Ceres didn’t mind - she didn’t expect it so soon - but didn’t mind. She was inwardly regretful that she had yet to go and buy a sword after their last encounter.

"Wasp Queen?" Ceres asked as she chewed her toast. It must be some sort of quest, right? She supposed that would be okay. As long as they remained below the 4th floor. Ceres knew she wasn't strong enough to traverse past there just yet. Even though she didn't need to Ceres found herself wiping her hand on the front of her clothes before opening up the reply to respond to NIGHT.

TO: NIGHT

SUBJECT: RE (none)

Wasp Queen? Sure, I don't mind. As long as it isn't beyond the 4th Floor - I'm waiting till I level up a bit more, suffice to say - a real assh*le of a player berated me for just being in the town. 

Where are you? I'm currently in a tavern called 'Lucky Duck' in Urbus. I'm just eating breakfast. I'll be free after that. If you're close by you can come join me.

They have freshly baked bread here.

xxx

Ceres.

Having sent the message Ceres leaned back in the wooden chair. She was seated by the window - her preffered location. Because she loved to watch people go bye - and the early morning sun was hitting the spot just right creating a wonderful feeling of warmth as she was bathed in the light.

STATS:
LEVEL 11 | 220 HP | 22 ENERGY

EQUIPPED ARMOUR/WEAPONS

-Small Dagger: +1 DAMAGE | Left Pauldron +1 DAM MIT | Leather Chestplate + 1 EVA | Ring of Promise +1 ACC

@NIGHT

Edited by Ceres

Looks like Ceres was awake alright, with that message coming in after a few minutes of waiting. NIGHT groggily checked the mail, with soft staggered groans. There was flare of annoyance and anger when she'd read that the woman had encountered someone who'd been mean to her -- Who was that? She'd have to keep an eye out for them if possible; if anything, to stay them away herself.

Oh, and she was diligently eating breakfast somewhere. That was cute. She absent-mindedly stared at Ceres' signature at the bottom of the message, spacing out and starting to wonder, before snapping out of her trance with a forced jolt, shaking herself awake. No, no more pining. She'd have to force herself to stop there. A sigh, and NIGHT burrowed into her blankets further.

If anything, at least her friend was already at their destination. Slowly, she composed the following message, trying to sit upright near the end of her text to ease herself out of the lazy morning mood.

To: Ceres

floor 2
im in bed
gimmie 2s ill look 4 u

btw who was it? ill keep n eye out 4 them
stay safe out thre

The woman slid out of bed, heading into the washroom to freshen up, before stepping out to her shop interior, fully equipped in a flash. "Nyanko," she called, with a few snaps of her fingers. The kitten brrpped from his seat on the couch, and NIGHT shuffled over, chuckling, a smile on her face. "Sleepy kitty," she murmured, preparing a small blanket to line the bag with. With a careful motion, she picked up the cat, sliding him and his drooping form into her bag, closing the flap shut.

That should do it for her preparations.

It took her a handful of minutes to charge towards the centre of town, brushing past the crowd of players and NPCs alike. A quick teleport, and she was in Urbus. Now it was just a task of finding where... uh... The Lucky Duck? was in the town.

A few more and she had her answer, as she sighed with her hands stuffed in her pockets, making her way around corners at street junctions. She'd caught sight of the redhead through the window from a distance, and composed herself with a few breaths, before heading inside. An order later -- mushroom soup with a side of their signature bread -- and she slid into the wooden chair opposite of her friend, trying to stay calm.

What... do calm people do?

NIGHT found herself shooting the woman a tentative grin, wondering what she should say. It felt too early to be talking, even, for her standards.

Well, the best thing I can do is... uh...

"... Morning. Uh... how's your day been so far? You seen any interesting passerbys?"

"... You wanna talk about the player you met, or...?"

@Ceres

Ceres had just finished her first piece of toast when she had gotten another response from NIGHT, she wore a bemused smile noticing the way the other wrote - shorthand - no doubt she was just crawling out of bed by her message. Ceres could relate, when she was tired her words were filled with typos. It was why she always double checked her work with a fresh mind before submitting it to the publishers.

There was no need to reply, at least not immediately. If NIGHT didn’t respond or appear within the half hour then that would be call for concern but right now Ceres trusted that NIGHT would soon stumble through the door - nervously glancing around the place.   

Ceres had begun to butter her second slice of bread - humming softly to herself - she bought the slice to her mouth and took a big bite out of it - and that was when NIGHT had arrived, looking a little out of breath as she slid herself into the seat opposite.

Ceres snorted as she tried to not laugh and choke on the mouthful of food. She raised a hand to cover the lower half of her face as she spoke with a mouthful of food, sparing NIGHT the sight of half-chewed food. “You didn’t have to rush here.” Ceres mused then swallowed. “We do have all day. Not many are morning people, did you sleep well?”

NIGHT fidgeted in her seat, then nervously asked Ceres how her day was. “Hmm - well, its nice to be able to eat a proper meal now that I’m questing.” Her lilac eyes shifted to the window as she watched the outside world pass them by. “Not anything too interesting, not many are awake at this time - and others are probably already out questing. Oh - speaking of...I’m glad you invited me. I still feel a little silly… I haven’t bought a sword yet.”

Ceres sighed as she shoved her hand through her long crimson hair. “I’m so indecisive sometimes.”

NIGHT asked Ceres if she wanted to talk about the rude player. Her smile fell. “Ah….we can - but first. Are you alright? You look a little flustered? Oh - Did I say something silly again?”

@NIGHT

She watched as Ceres giggle behind her hand, the other holding the slice she'd been eating from earlier, and NIGHT couldn't help but grin in return -- genuinely, this time. She wasn't sure what she did to cause such a reaction, but, it was enough seeing someone appreciate her company.

"I wasn't in a rush," the adventurer reassured her friend, resting her arms on the table. "But even if I was, it's because I don't want to keep you waiting. And I did get a nice rest, yeah; thanks for asking."

A hand began playing with one of own locks as Ceres recounted her breakfast, her fingers twirling around it slowly. "I didn't think meals were this hard to come by," she wondered aloud. "Maybe it's just me, though. I did do my best striving to get some decent meals for myself most of the time." Her eyes went over to the window, watching the shuffling of people outside as they wondered what the population was up to. "And it's alright, that weapon can take its time," she added, gaze tailing a triad of players strolling down the streets of Urbus. "I don't mind taking care of the boss anyway. It's on my personal hit list, and you get to reap the rewards."

She shot the redhead a grin, watching as she ran her hand through her hair.

Lovely.

"I hope the experience helps when we get to it," NIGHT said, as a waiter came by and set down her meal. "Thank you!"

Truth be told, her mind was pre-occupied with the thought of the player Ceres had mentioned, earlier. She'd just begun dipping her bread in the soup when Ceres' expression darkened; it came as a surprise to NIGHT. A bite out the bread, ready to listen, when she'd been asked if she was flustered.

---Was she? The woman took a big gulp, swallowing the bite whole, burning from the embarrassment. "S-sorry-- N-no! You didn't do anything, or say anything..." NIGHT took a glance at the window and tried to check herself in the reflections. Shoot. And it had only been a single thought.

NIGHT patted herself on the cheeks, before returning to look at Ceres. "A-anyway, as you were saying?"

@Ceres

"That's sweet of you." Ceres commented as she picked up her sweetened Earl Grey tea.  "But I'm more than happy to wait for you." She continued softly. "It's the least I can do for you, after all you've done for me." 

NIGHT began to comment on how it was easier for her to procure meals. "Well-" Ceres began. "That's because you're so strong and independent. For a while I struggled - If you're not doing anything - you're not making Col, and if you aren't making Col...you aren't exactly able to spend it on food." Ceres snorted. "It's fine though. Especially now I have people like you in my life."

Ceres paused as NIGHT shifted her gaze to the window - mentioning she didn't mind taking on the boss. Ceres admired that about the other woman - she wanted to be able to help somehow. Was she being too obtuse - in not wanting to invest anything into battle techniques? "Hmmm..." Without meaning to Ceres had been staring at NIGHT - watching as the othe woman's gentle gaze shifted to and fro as they focused on different passerbys.

The conversation shifted when the waiter bought NIGHT her own food, soup? For breakfast? Well - Ceres was not one to judge. She often just ate a bowl of rice with a raw egg cracked over it. Well...she used to.

NIGHT patted herself on the cheeks, before returning to look at Ceres. "A-anyway, as you were saying?"

Ceres wasn't going to question NIGHT further, it was clear she was trying to change the subject.

"So - I ventured up to the 4th floor - I know it may be a little out of my level...especially as I haven't invested anything in skills yet. But - I just wanted to step out of my comfort zone and go somewhere new - aside from the cold...it really was a beautiful little village. This man called Alkor came up to me asking if I needed help and..."

Ceres sighed as she placed her elbow on the table and rested her head in her hand. "I dunno, I think I said something wrong- he got angry at me. I tried to reconcile things but...he got in my face. Shouted at me as he jabbed his finger in my direction." Ceres shut her eyes, sighing. "It was scary NIGHT. He towered over me, but he held such viterol in his eyes... he insulted me and essentially told me I shouldn't go exploring till I had better gear and skills...but how can I be upset when he's 100% right?"

Ceres lowered her face into the table. "Geez... I even have to rely on you to come questing with me. How can I be confident if I can't even stand on my own two feet?

@NIGHT

NIGHT found herself beaming, trying to hide her flushed smiles behind a hand of her own. From Ceres feeling like her help was valuable, to having her efforts be praised, if not acknowledged; even for her own presence to be notable in someone else's time in Aincrad-- It was in scenarios like these that NIGHT found herself shy in front of the woman she was speaking with. How could someone be so direct and open about her appreciation like that? It was all she could do in the moment to keep her cool, trying not to look like an excited puppy with a big dumb grin on her face.

In fact, she was so enamoured with Ceres' praises that she'd almost forgotten she had breakfast ready in front of her. When she realized, her eyes widened, before looking towards her cream of mushroom, hesitantly picking up the bread and continuing to eat it, dipped in the soup. She tried to listen in on her friend's recounting of the stranger; picking up his name -- Alkor.

Alkor, Alkor... I gotta save it to memory.

"I'm more surprised you went to visit the 4th floor at all," NIGHT pointed out, mouth half-packed with bread. "Alkor had a point, but it's alright for a newbie to sightsee. I think that's the whole point of making the towns players teleported to safe zones."

He towered over her? How tall was this man? NIGHT furrowed her brow, trying to estimate his height using Yukiro as a measurement. Her concerns didn't end there however; yelling and insulting her friend -- no, anyone at all -- was unacceptable. "I'm... genuinely sorry to hear that happened to you," was all she could manage, with her eyes cast to her soup, watching it in disgust for the stranger. "And I'm... sorry to say," she chuckled, "But he's wrong."

"Not to reject the idea of heading out of town without safety or precaution, of course. But combat oriented players like us..." NIGHT stirred her soup with a spoon, trying to distract herself from her feelings. "We rely on support players like you. For information, usually, but it grows into crafting and networking as a service later."

"If someone more associated with battle came along a piece of information, like our hunt as an example, they'd more than likely keep it to themselves as an advantage over the competition." She set down her spoon to the side of the bowl. "That's what I think Alkor is imagining, and it could theoretically happen. The good news is that folks like you, informants, try and get the information from adventurers who're more likely to talk. Then it gets circulated, and everyone benefits from the advantage."

NIGHT folded her arms, leaning back in her chair as she watched the soup bowl, deeply lost in thought. "Going outside of one's comfort zone in a game like this... it has its benefits, but it's also dangerous. That's why in turn, you can find yourself ending up relying on me." She close her eyes, bracing herself for what she was about to say. "We... protect you. So that you can get the information you need to others."

T-this is sounding... very straightforward.

The adventurer coughed, trying to resolve the tension in the conversation. "S-so, don't be afraid to rely on me. A-and if you're really interested in trying to stand up for yourself, I can at least oversee how you're trying to do so?" A finger to scratch her reddened cheeks, and a shifted gaze elsewhere. "T-the work you do here is important, n-no matter how big or small, and you shouldn't let some random stranger come up to you and tell you otherwise, no matter who they are."

"A-and if I have to..." NIGHT set her sights back on Ceres, hiding her mouth with a hand. "If they come looking for you... I won't even let them try putting you down again."

@Ceres

"Right!?" Ceres said exasperated when NIGHT mentioned that was the point of making towns Safe Zones.  "He was just repeating things I already knew... I didn't need him to rub it in my face." Ceres mumbled. "Honestly - I went there because people like you, and Lessa inspired me to do more. I wanted to just see it but I guess that was a stupid thing to do." Ceres finally lifted her head from the table. "I don't even have a profession yet- I think I might have to do that...after our day together."

NIGHT did her best to raise Ceres' spirits, telling the redhead that Alkor was wrong. That Ceres' choice to become an information broker, and a support player was not a fools dream. Ceres knew that her next action would probably be pushing the boundaries between the two, but she felt she needed it. Not only her, but NIGHT as well. Ceres reached out and rested her hand atop NIGHT's, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Thanks. You help more than you know." And with those words, Ceres pulled away, allowing her own hand to rest back into her lap. "I'm happy to have you, and others like you protecting me." Ceres grinned. "Maybe I'll finally get my head together soon - and I'll come back with a whole lot of skills to help you out!"

"NIGHT." Ceres began, noticing she had began to stammer. "Don't forget to breathe, remember I'm here for you."

Ceres stood, noting the other woman had finished her meal. "Next time I see him I think I may have to bite my own tongue, and give him a piece of my mind. We can't have a**holes like that running around Aincrad when there is already so much trouble." Ceres rose her hand to wipe the tears that had almost spilled out over her eyes. In  truth, Alkor had made her feel like absolute crap - and it had been getting to her - but NIGHT - like the shining shy beacon she was , helped Ceres stand on her own two feet again.

"Well, you did say you had a vendetta against that wasp thing, right?"

@NIGHT

NIGHT nodded, resting her cheek on a hand, listening intently. The more Ceres mentioned Alkor, the more she imagined how awful the man could be. She bit her lip, annoyed at how powerless she was at the moment. The next time she was out anywhere, she'd definitely have to keep an eye out for mister-edgelord. "Let me know when your shop's open," she said, curious. "I'll come visit some time."

Ah, and then Ceres reached out to her, squeezing her hand gently. The woman knew it was a gesture of empathy, but couldn't stop smiling anyway. And to top it all off, seeing Ceres happy once again, after all that's been said made her the most satisfied she'd felt today. NIGHT was glad she could cheer her friend up, even if it did mean she forgot to breath.

Right? B-breathe, NIGHT breathe--

She inhaled, her face stuck in a grin. "Thank you. And I'll be looking forward to how your build goes," the adventurer managed to say, before picking up her bowl of soup and downing it in one go. It wasn't so much because she was hungry, or the soup was getting cold, or that it was about time they left.

NIGHT was just struggling to hide her face from Ceres, that's all.

After a short moment -- to finish her meal much more properly and recover her composure -- NIGHT resumed listening in to what Ceres had to say. The woman was right, in her conviction. She hated imagining players running around ready to put down others. And when Ceres went to rub her eyes, she felt like it was the last reason she needed to give herself to even go after the guy in question at all. "Let me know if he shows up again. At all. If he does anything to hurt you, I want to know."

"And as for my vendetta..." NIGHT cracked her knuckles with a smirk. "Yeah, I think it's high time I pay our mark a visit."

@Ceres

Ceres opened the door for NIGHT, and the two left the small tavern - making their way through Urbus together - side by side. "I hope you'll be one of my first customers." Ceres said with a grin. "Err....of course I will need to study up on what Merchants actually do - then work on getting various bits of information." She turned her lilac eyes to the sky. "They say you can find various dungeon maps or treasure chests if you search hard enough - it'd be nice to sell those - don't you think?" She mused.

It'd give her a direction at the very least, on where she should start putting her skill points into - searching, detecting, upping the odds and luck on her hunts - that'd be good. Right? Not quite the support Ceres had in mind but it was most definitely a start. She wasn't very high leveled - and knew she could extend her reach to healing when the time came. When she was a high enough level to actually stand back in battles an heal others.

"So..." Ceres began, shifting their topic back to that of the wasp. "Is there a reason you have a vendetta against this wasp? Have you done this quest before?"  Ceres bought up her HUD and started going through the information. "I don't mind bugs...but the thought of a giant wasp three times the size of me is a little unnerving...but - ah...you get a decent poison from it. That would help with my pitiful damage." Ceres managed a small laugh. "Maybe I should invest just a little into battle - so I can do the most basic Sword Art attack? What do you think?" Ceres asked NIGHT.

"I'll see if I have anything on hand," NIGHT replied, trying to recall if she'd have left anything back in her workshop. Junk sales. She wondered if Ceres would have an issue with that. "But I'd love to keep some dungeon maps on hand, given the opportunity. It would make for an interesting adventure. I'd look for treasure chests and the like, but..."

She huffed, hands stuffed deep in her pockets. "They always elude me. I'm almost certain you'd have better luck tracking them down on your own, what with your skill points going to recon... right?" NIGHT wasn't exactly familiar with the support players' handbooks, assuming there was one, but she tried her best to adapt, anyway.

"My friend took out the wasp," she mumbled, with a breathy hiss after it. "We were tracking it one day -- separately. I only managed to spot them headed towards my direction from a distance. They... weren't up for talking much that day." The adventurer recalled as Yukiro left gashes into the tree with his sword, punching it in anger just before the fight began. She sighed, groaning. "I hate bugs -- but the giant wasp queen -- ugh -- looks more like a robot than anything else. The sound of the wings beating fast is what gets to me."

NIGHT shivered, in fear of her ears. "You can keep the poison if you want. I'm not too interested in it at the moment. As for combat..." The woman looked back at her companion, grinning. "If you're interested in it? Do you find yourself having any use for it at the moment?"

"We usually max out our weapon mastery first," she stated, an observation she'd picked up from watching Yukiro grow. The weight on her back -- her blade -- became apparent as she imagined the sword in his hand being swung against a bark. A frown, for a moment, before she adjusted her face. "We get our sword arts from there, so it's part of a crucial multiplier system. For a support build though... those points might be spent better elsewhere to begin with, but that's just my two cents. If you're in no rush to get a working system up and running," NIGHT grinned, a little too carefree. "Then it's really just based on preference there, y'know?"

@Ceres

"On hand?" Cers asked, then answered her own question when it dawned on her. "Oh...OH....That's very sweet of you NIGHT, but I don't want to put you out. I haven't even gone for the profession yet. But I'll tell you what." Ceres held out a single finger. "I'll go tackle it tomorrow. Okay? Then I can invite you to my store when I figure out where to open it and what to name it."

The two left the town of Urbus and were now walking through the wilds, ankle deep in a field of flowers. It made some sense to Ceres.... Bee's loved flowers, wasps? Ceres assumed wasps were more attracted to meats or sticky things, trees maybe? She wasn't sure what they ate - but walking alongside a friend amongst a field of purple and blue? It was...really nice. "If you breath in deep you get so many lovely smells..." Ceres mused as she did just that - taking in a deep breath as she closed her eyes, she smelt lavender - and others she could not name.

The discussion shifted to where skill points were better invested. "I think that'd be right...maybe I'll find an amazing treasure - and give it to you. After all..." Ceres said as she paused in the field of flowers. "You've done so much for me. I know I probably sound like a uh...broken record at this rate..but you really have. You keep inviting me out to quests, you keep bringing me up when I'm feeling down, and you talk through things with me so I can understand my own thoughts better. Not..." Ceres scratched her cheek. "Not that many people are that patient with me, you'd be shocked at how long the email chains between me and my colleges are." Ceres laughed awkwardly.

The conversation shifted to Night's friend. It seemed like she had done the quest - but didn't get the chance to complete it because she had a fight? "Mmm..." Ceres bent over to pick up a handful of flowers. "It sounds like you had some form of miscommunication. Have you made up with your friend since then?"  Ceres absently began to pick at the flower petals, letting each one go so it would be picked up by the wind and dance around the two.

"I'm not interested in combat - but...I can't keep relying on others forever, right? I think my first chunk of Skills will go toward recon - at the very least. Then I will work from there. I'll take your advice and go with preference." Ceres let go of the handful of petals and turned her gaze to watch them dance away into the breeze.

"So...loud robotic wings... at least it won't sneak up on us, eh?"

@NIGHT

She watched as Ceres came to a realization about what NIGHT had said herself, chuckling. She hadn't figured that it didn't make sense just yet. "Whoops, guess I'm jumping the gun there," she smirked, bowing her head lightly in apology. "I'll be waiting for that message, you know; if you're actually going to send it. But take your time, yeah? There's no rush needed."

The woman hadn't even noticed they were walking into flowers. With her eyes still set on Ceres in the middle of their conversation, it took her a good few petals flying up at her face to even acknowledge where they were. Was this the place? Possible. NIGHT spied the cliff where her and Yukiro had taken down the queen -- it could easily have been a spawning mishap for that day, or that week. This field, with the brown, buzzing blots in the distance, felt more like its home.

d7wy1as.png

She took in the location with her senses, still trying to register that this -- this lovely floral landscape had been under their hunt's location the whole time. And NIGHT never knew. A strong floral scent hit her nose, and it was pleasant and sweet, contrary to her expectations.

Then Ceres said something. Huh? What was it?

When NIGHT had turned to face her friend, the overwhelming majesty and beauty of her image and the landscape put together was too much for her to handle.

They just fit... so well.

She must've loosened her jaw for a moment, because when she came to, she had to close her mouth, hiding it away from her friend. Damned instincts. The conversation was about her help, right? "D-don't mention it," NIGHT murmured, keeping her eyes closed for a moment. "It's only fair that... people are given the time of day... 'specially when we've got it... N-no rush to anything..."

The mention of affairs with her friend immediately sobered her up, a dark grating feeling in her heart emerging. Trying to avoid Ceres' stunning appearance for the moment, she shifted her gaze over to the wasps, watching their movements for a second. "I... don't know. I'm trying not to interfere with his life... is what I can say, I guess." The sight of the petals she'd picked made her turn to look at the redhaired woman, and she covered her face in habit by now. "How do I put this..."

"... I'd rather let things slide between us, y'know?" An exhale. "He, uh... He's not interested in seeing me, I think. Not after I told him the same about his..."

Her sights flickered over to the woman, and NIGHT tried giving Ceres her best smile, lowering her hand a little. "He'll be fine, I think, given some time. One fight over it... shouldn't be enough to wedge a friendship."

As Ceres carried on, continuing their discussion about skill distribution, the two watched the petals float off into the distance, the pink and purples contrasting against the bright blue sky. She waved them off with a muted smile, the other hand stuffed in her pocket.

"They shouldn't be able to," NIGHT replied, still staring up at the sky. "It's not a robot, exactly. Insects just have these weird, interloping segments and indentations?" She scratched her cheek, returning her gaze back on Ceres. "It makes them look, uh, artificial. I'm almost certain that's what most sci-fi concepts are built on, but that's just my musing."

@Ceres

Edited by NIGHT

"What!?" Ceres said incredulously. "Of course I'm going to send it. Who else am I going to send it to? Alkor? Pffft. You're the only person on my friend list NIGHT."  Ceres glanced down and swooped her leg up in a low, slow kick and watched as it disheveled a bunch of petals from the flowers - sending another cloud of petals into the air. "I wonder if these are here all the time, or if its a seasonal thing - we should probably take note of this..." Ceres already had her HUD up, making note of the time of day,  and day of week - just in case this information could be useful for someone.  "Guess that's the first bit of information gathering I've done." Ceres said with a laugh.

image.png.552c58e37e815bb3ab38fa01b32b9846.pngWhen the subject of her friends came up, NIGHT reverted back to her stuttering self, it was almost like she was trying to withdraw from everything around her. "mmm..." Ceres frowned as she knelt down in the flower field, picking up a yellow flower and absently placing it in her hair.

"I don't know the context since you haven't exactly told me, but I don't expect you to tell me. You're right - a single fight would never come between friends."

NIGHT seemed sad about her friend, so Ceres picked another yellow flower up and stepped toward the other woman, gently lacing it into her hair. "But if your friend is being a [censored] because you opened up about being gay...." Ceres said quietly. "I'd change my mind about my skills, put it all into sword and kick their ass in a half loss duel." She was deadly serious about that. "Don't let anyone trample on you."

Ceres coughed slightly, shifting gears to her usual cheery tones.

"Some people say they give yellow flowers to their sick grandmas...but that's silly... Yellow is the colour of the sun, so I think it's only fair that it compliments the night sky of your hair, besides." Ceres pointed to the flower in her own hair. "Now we are matching."

Ceres stepped away from NIGHT and noticed the red in her face. "Ah..."

Wait, was that too forward? Did Ceres stuff up again? She really didn't want to lead NIGHT on, especially since she wasn't even sure of her own feelings. She had known NIGHT for a few days at best - and whilst Ceres could say the woman was stunning, she couldn't say she currently had any romantic feelings for her.

A brief look of concern crossed Ceres' face as she inwardly and anxiously thought about the ramifications of her own actions. "You..." Ceres shifted her eyes away. "Looked like you needed cheering up."

And, just as if on cue - the loud buzzing sound erupted in the distance behind NIGHT - Ceres could see a very...insectoid looking black figure looming ever closer.

"Guess monsters like ruining our small moments of reprise, huh?" She said as she pointed toward the Wasp Queen.

Edited by Ceres

"I know, I know," NIGHT retorted in a jest, teeth showing with her grin. "But you might be busy that day, is what I'm getting it." She made a mental note to remember the co-ordinates for the place they were in, too; it'd make good information to pass onto her informants when she got back to talking with them. The more specific details were taken down by Ceres -- at least she could always fall back on her for that information if she needed to.

As she was talking, wondering about the Wrath incarnate, Ceres donned a beautiful yellow flower, and NIGHT smiled without noticing. At least she seemed to behaving fun herself.

T-then came her turn to don one-- The adventurer shifted her sights elsewhere, taking in Ceres' warnings. She appreciated both gestures, of course, but her words more than the flower. All she could manage was a chuckle, blushing with her eyes tracking the distant enemies again. "It's not about that, but... thank you. I do appreciate the sentiment." She ended her words with a grin, glancing back at the woman.

And NIGHT found out that was bad timing on her part, as the redhead pointed to the flower in her hair, matching her own. A-and the compliment? Ceres was really good at compliments that nailed her theme on the head. If NIGHT wasn't panicking, she'd definitely have appreciated that more than the woman in front of her would realize. She started turning red once more, but found that Ceres seemed to... do the same, except color seemed to be draining from her face -- hey, wait a minute.

Was this about her own signs of attraction?

... She really needed to wrangle them under control, didn't she? NIGHT felt sorry for her friend, having to put up with her own antics and quirks like that, and her face fell into one of concern more than anything. "Sorry," she tried to joke, placing a hand behind her neck, tilting her head to one side. "I... I guess I really did look pitiful there, huh?"

The woman had wanted to follow up with "I'll try to get used to you"... or something along those lines, but a buzz caught the two's attention instead. 

The boss?

NIGHT darted over to the creature before she could process what Ceres had said, vengeance in mind and adrenaline -- from panic, mostly -- ran through her veins. Within ten seconds of its appearance, the adventurer had already pulled out her blade as she closed the gap between them. The next five consisted of her pulling out Lightning from her arsenal -- there was no way she wanted to risk throwing up when she'd already burdened her friend with so many problems.

It fell before Lightning's stun nor her sword could even take a chance to hold the queen in place. NIGHT sighed, setting her blade's tip into the patch of flowers, trying to gather her thoughts once again before her friend got near.

"I'll... I'll try to do better, Ceres. I-I promise." She announced, and turned to look at the woman, when she got close enough. "I... don't want you to feel uncomfortable when you're around me. It's just... maybe you're the first person who's ever been this direct with me, y'know?" NIGHT did her best to form a smile, coming up a hint short. "So it's not your fault, and it's definitely okay if you don't share the same feelings either." She cast her sights to the ground. "Maybe I just need a few days more of rest or solitude... or something."

@Ceres

Before the Swarm of wasps, or even the Queen could even come close NIGHT had turned tail and destroyed them with flurries of light and lightening. Damn.... I really need to get my head in the game. I can't keep doing this to her  Ceres thought as she watched NIGHT fight - the way the other woman fought - so quickly, so meticulously and mercilessly, all whilst retaining her dignity and grace.
As NIGHT returned Ceres couldn't help but blurt out, "If I ever did fight, I hope I have half the grace that you have."

Yona.(Akatsuki.no.Yona).full.2616507.pngCeres slowly approached NIGHT - watching as the other woman drove the tip of her sword into the ground. "I think you...misunderstand me." Ceres said as she sat on the ground amongst the flowers - just beside NIGHT's sword. "I'm not uncomfortable around you, if anything I may feel a little too comfortable around you."

Her eyes fell to the ground and she started to pick at some flowers, slowly she began to chain them together by threading each one through the stem of the other. "How do I say this...mmm I"m more concerned with accidentally leading you on. Ever since you told me I'm rather direct." Ceres stopped and glanced up at NIGHT. "And I'm glad you told me that - " She interjected before NIGHT had the chance to apologize for that too. "I've realized that - well, you're right. When I get comfortable around people I guess I just forget my place a little. It doesn't help that I'm not the most social person  - You'd normally think that means I shy away from things like human touch or being close to others." Ceres laughed. "But I seem to do the complete opposite."

Ceres threw her back into the flowers, so she was now laying among them. "You didn't look pitiful. You looked cute. I can't say what I feel right now, because if I said I felt anything beyond warm companionship- it'd be a lie. But I like you NIGHT."

Ceres tilted her head up to look at NIGHT through the flowers. "I just wish you weren't so hard on yourself. Why are you apologizing for how you feel?"

Ceres closed her eyes. "Take it from someone who has finally left her solitude - it is never always the correct answer. We all do need our alone time, but we should never force it upon ourselves. We'd only bring pain to our hearts."

@NIGHT

She really did match the flowers, NIGHT thought, watching her friend tip over onto the ground. A scatter of petals flew up to meet her gaze, gently waving and scattering away in a light breeze. "It's fine," she replied, smiling. "There shouldn't be anything wrong with being direct, really. Maybe it's a culture thing." Her gaze wondered over to the sky, watching some of the petals float higher and higher. "I know that mine doesn't pride itself on friendliness too much."

"And thank you." NIGHT chuckled at Ceres' words of appreciation. It didn't surprise her when she felt no wounds from Ceres' reminder of her own feelings to NIGHT. Of course not; the woman had known the same the whole time. The hurt lied in knowing she hadn't done enough in trying to suppress her reactions. "I-It's more like... I don't want to cause any trouble or messes with your emotions or mine."

She took a seat, finally next to her friend, watching her relax in the fields. "I'm still... coming to terms with getting close to women, I-I think." Her gaze dropped to the flowers beside her, fingers slowly starting to reach out to them. She traced the surface of their petals, following their veins. "It- It's kinda ridiculous, really..."

"Tying into solitude... I rarely ever left my house. I've told you that I think." NIGHT found herself at a loss for words, watching the flower, so gentle, be tugged and pushed in the many directions she poked at it. "In our household, there were rarely any words of affection, of kindness or care or consideration. They'd all been brushed under the rug, or shoved aside to make way for some other problem my mom had to deal with."

"So it's tough, getting close to people. Conflict... is most of what I know. Ah--" The woman caught herself there. "Non-physical. There's no need to worry about my well being in that regard. But that's why I'd figured it felt easy to take your actions to heart, and -- uh -- my preference doesn't make it easy, I think." Now it was her turn to rest with the flowers, leaning against her blade for support. She picked a flower, twirling its stem in her hands. "I don't know how I really feel about you, actually. I... I like you too, b-but I'm not certain in which manner." A slow, calming breath. "But I'm more than happy with just being friends and getting to hang out with you."

NIGHT smiled at Ceres. "I'll try not to lock myself away on purpose. But I definitely need time to slow down and think. It's not like I'll ever be fully alone, either." She unlocked her bag, allowing a fully awake Nyanko to leap out of it, scampering over to Ceres in curiosity. NIGHT laughed. So that's what all the scuffle in her bag earlier was about. "I still have him, don't I?"

@Ceres

"NIGHT...." Ceres said with a soft sigh. "Stop thinking you're going to cause trouble with my emotions. The only person who I can blame for what I feel is myself." Ceres smirked, "And Maybe what did you call him? Mr Edgelord, for making me doubt myself a little - but not you." Ceres' eyes shifted to the sky. "Never you."

NIGHT joined Ceres, sitting herself gently amongst the field of flowers. She mentioned she was coming to terms to getting close to women and how it was ridiculous. Ceres laughed softly. "How is that ridiculous? I think everyone struggles with getting their feelings sorted- It's probably harder for you. If you're only just coming to terms with your orientation but if you ever wanna talk about those sorts of things I'll always listen."

NIGHT went on to talk about how sometimes, she found it hard to express things because it wasn't something she was used to.

"mmmm...." Ceres mused. "I'm not sure what culture you came from - but you did mention something about Kanji was it? That the system wouldn't let you input it. I know a lot of cultures don't really allow physical expressions. Or even vocalize it. Some cultures - they don't kiss each other sweetly on the cheek and say 'I love you' because its not the norm for them - and that's ... that's ok. It's not what I'm used to. But as you said. It's like a cultural difference."

Ceres turned her head toward NIGHT,  the other admitted to liking Ceres, as to what extent she didn't know. "Isn't that good enough?" Ceres asked. "Just liking someone - that's enough for now. I think. As you said. We enjoy each others company. That's what matter right now."

Ceres lifted her head and tilted her body, propped up by an arm as Nyanko approached, Ceres gave it a scratch between the eyes, then shifted up to the kittens ears. "And me, don't forget that." Ceres sat up and placed Nyanko in her lap. "Shall we finish up the quest? Or would you like to stay here for a few hours? I'm not tired, but this seems like the perfect place to nap don't you think?"

NIGHT was quiet for a good bit. Thinking about how nice and warm and patient Ceres was about her monologue. And she was right about a lot of things.

For starters, it was rather difficult to come to terms with her orientation. And she'd entirely disregarded the struggle and the emotional mess that came out of her, then and now, resulting in her feeling sorry for herself now. She hummed in agreement, chuckling when she was about to speak, still stroking the flowers' petals in her hand with a thumb. "I wouldn't even know what to say, if I wanted to talk about it. But I appreciate the invitation anyway."

As for cultures, NIGHT had initially expected Ceres to be used to directness herself from friends and family around her. "I'm actually rather surprised to hear the culture you grew up with wasn't that open with affection," NIGHT joked, smirking. Knowing that it was an inherently unique trait to her just made it feel all the more special. It was more fuel for her to learn how to calm down, for once. "I'm not Japanese, by the way," she informed her, watching her flower spin. A laugh. "Sorry, just figured I should clear that up first. Chinese is pretty close though."

She ran her fingers under the skin of the petals, feeling the weight of the flower shift in her hand unsteadily. NIGHT continued nodding at intervals, as the woman listened to her friend share a few signs of fondness. At least they both agreed that physical affection wasn't much of a thing that occurred with her culture. As Ceres continued to recount, a part of her yearned for the same tenderness the woman had spoke of mirrored in all aspects of her life. Maybe she was just a soft kind of person, like that.

Another really made an effort to lead her imagination astray. She brushed the thought aside, accidentally crushing the flower in her hand. Crap. She picked up another flower, letting the shards fade with the wind.

"That's what matters right now," she echoed, examining the new flower in her hands, before looking over to the redhead, smiling as she enjoyed Nyanko's company -- and offered to lend a ear. "I'll try not to forget, that's for sure. On the other hand, I'm not too much of a public sleeper. But if you're feeling up to it, I'll keep an eye out for danger for the both of us."

And the day passed them by as the two of them rested in the fields, taking in the lazy, dreamy day to their hearts' content.

- End

- - - - -

Thread Summary

[Total]
Ceres
+ 5SP
+ 200col
+ <The Matriarch's Stinger>

NIGHT
+ 2SP
+ 200col
+ <The Matriarch's Stinger>