[F09-SP] Vintage Misery -- <<Burning Phoenix Feathers>>

| Floor 1

Her nightmares had been leading her to this -- toiling, toiling away at her crafting table. She’d hoped that her previous two gift ideas would be enough to dissuade the bad dreams from coming back, but…

Darkened eyes. Weighed down to the floor. A white cloak, hiding all signifiers of their person. An arm, raising their sword over their head, their shoulder. The bandages coming loose from the blade, the metal gleaming off sunlight, and with one swing--

She caught her breath, trying to remember to breathe. NIGHT fiddled with the glass bottle in her hands, small and delicate enough to sit in the center of her palm without fault. As Nyanko made his way into the room, the woman held it out to him, letting him examine it when he jumped onto the table. “You’re lucky I’m done with my work today, kitty,” she commented, stroking the quickly-growing cat in her hands. A meow back, Nyanko clearly trying to see if the bottle was edible, with the way he jingled its chain with a prod of his snout. NIGHT withdrew it with a gentle huff, smiling. “That’s not food, silly.”

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 29 | HP: 580 | EN: 58 | SP: 90
ACC: 3 | DMG: 14 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 0 | PARALYZE: 2 | BLEED: 1

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -
  4. - - - 

• Survival | Passive 
  • Concentration | Active -- CD: 3

[Examine]

• [T2E3] Tiger-fanged Faussar
    -- [ Paralyze II | Natural successful attack rolls of 8-10 remove the enemy’s action on their next turn. Paralyzed opponents lose any evasion properties. ]
    -- [ Bleed | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 24 unmitigated bleed damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. Bleed damage does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
  • [T1E3] Threads of Dexterity
    -- [ Evasion III | +3 EVA ]
  • [T1E3] Liquid Luck Pendant
    -- [ Accuracy III | +3 LD ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (3) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides 50 temporary HP.
  • [T1E3] Eye of Horus Enamel Pin
    -- [ Accuracy III | +3 ACC ]
  • [T2E3] Tobi-Kadachi
    -- [ Paralyze II | Natural successful attack rolls of 8-10 remove the enemy’s action on their next turn. Paralyzed opponents lose any evasion properties. ]
    -- [ Keen | After a successful attack, gain +1 BD until your next successful attack, at which point this bonus is removed. Another successful attack will reactivate this enhancement. ]

[Misc]

• -- [ Aincrad Trading Post Guild Bonus: Col Deposit | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]
    -- [ Familiar Mastery: Fighter | +6 DMG ]
Edited by NIGHT

She let the item fall onto her form, donning it, uncertain about getting adjusted to it. With a sigh, NIGHT leaned back into her chair, pulling up her messages. No replies. A huff, as she reviewed her last sent message.

To: Bistro

is there anything to change my weapon’s appearance
i dont wanna drop my sword
but im seeing it in my nightmares

Her eyes sat lazily, tired on the word ‘nightmares’, before a new message indicator appeared, grabbing her attention instead.

To: NIGHT

You’re in luck. And I’m glad you finally asked me for something to help your mental state, for once. It’s on Floor 9 though. I hope you’ll be okay with that.

You’ll be wanting to find Mako, the blacksmith in the region over at Yogan. They’ve been providing this service for quite a while now, so it’s rather reliable. I’ve heard several complaints about the materials needed, though, since you’ll need to offer some items that can only be found on the floor itself. You should bring something along that might help with that, if you’re able to.

Let me know if you need anything else.

-B.

So her plans of the day were settled, then. NIGHT would travel to Floor 9, Nyanko wriggling in her waistbag as always, and they’d hunt down some materials for the opportunity to revamp her blade. It seemed like such a simple plan in hindsight, and her preparations in the workshop went as routinely as possible.

But she hesitated at the door. Something about the lead made her heart feel sunken, as her hand rested on the door knob. A kindly meow from her kitten, peeping out of her bag, when the woman’s gaze strayed beyond the hatched windows, stuck, lost in thought. “No. No, it’s nothing,” she breathed, opening the door and continuing on her way, pretending that nothing had been bothering her.

The stranger… She’d let them go the other day. Her thoughts had been stuck on them ever since.

Where were they?

- - -

| Floor 9

One quick teleport, and NIGHT could smell the smoke and sulfur that lingered steady in the air. She stretched, hands behind her back, before taking the exit out of town. If there was anything she’d felt like doing with regards to the request, it was to gather the materials the crafter would need first.

What materials were even on this floor? There was the obvious obsidian mines she'd come across the other day, but surely they weren't going to pass one up once more. Her eyes scanned the vicinity, trying to discern stillness from life, wondering if there was something more specific that should be grabbing her attention.

Well, there was a rock that was sitting right there. She approached it, half-heartedly, expecting the toil and turmoil that she would be shackled with in her hunt for materials. In a stroke of luck, there was a small fern right beside it, still alive, somehow thriving in the harshest of environments. And-- look! A small glowing light right beside it. That's what she needed. Picking it up gingerly, she patted the rock and stroked the fern gently. I really hope it survives in here, NIGHT wondered, starting to get up once again. There was much more searching she'd have to get to.

ID: 132515 | LD: 15 (12, +3)
1/5 Materials gathered.

Edited by NIGHT

By... by the lava. A good guess, by her standards, but one that made her quiver in her boots.

Nyanko stuck his head out, curious about the scavenger hunt. When he spotted the red liquid, the kitten let out a tiny hiss, before he turned his sights over to NIGHT. The adventurer was squatted down by a dead patch of grass. At least she wasn't in danger this time.

But she had held onto something. In her hands was another white shiny, that she tucked away in her waistbag. A shrill from her kitten, one of surprise. The woman smirked, rising from her position, before striding away from the pool of lava, quick to leave what might've been one of her causes of death.

NIGHT hummed. Her search was going well. At least, that's what she figured. Any point now, her luck could change for the worse, and she was one familiar with the disappointments of material searching.

ID: 132516 | LD: 15 (12, +3)
2/5 Materials gathered.

Edited by NIGHT

Perhaps her luck was changing for the better. NIGHT wondered if her pendant had anything to do with the sudden turn of events, feeling it rest and roll against her skin. She would've examined it, wanting to check if the liquid in the bottle was going down with each consecutive stroke of luck, but she didn't really want to mess with its power either.

For a moment as she was strolling, a white had caught her eyes. The woman tensed, whipping her head around to look. Nothing. But when she continued, it showed itself again. Where...?

Ah. Inside that scorched tree stump. That didn't seem like it was suitable for someone to hide in. She peered in, gingerly, hoping she wouldn't find anything too dangerous, and to her surprise it was a gift for her. One white, sparkly orb, just like the two on her person. NIGHT picked it up, rubbing it gently against the fabric of her clothes, before sliding it in her bag.

ID: 132517 | LD: 19 (16, +3)
3/5 Materials gathered.

Edited by NIGHT

At this point, her quest had gone so swimmingly well, it felt like a miracle. The fourth material was lodged, stuck in a crack at the side of a large rock face. NIGHT whistled, reaching out to pick it up with a slight grin. Sometimes, she wondered, if Cardinal was taking anything away from her elsewhere, with a streak of luck like this.

She slid it into her waistbag, Nyanko beeping as he stuck his head out, almost to stop her from depositing the items where he stayed. The woman giggled, petting her kitten tenderly. "Sorry, Nyanko. I didn't mean to cramp up your space like that."

"Mrrrao!"

"I'll carry the next one myself, don't you worry," NIGHT reassured him, starting to walk away from the fracture. For a moment, she felt a stare bearing down her back, and her heart raced. Without looking, she picked up her speed, clutching the bag in her hand, much to her cat's audible displeasure.

ID: 132518 | LD: 20 (17, +3)
4/5 Materials gathered.

Edited by NIGHT

"Myah!" Her cat's eyes squinted, his features only somewhat discernable, but NIGHT could tell how distressed he had been, with the clatter of orbs shoving up against his back. The woman, on the other hand, was hunched over a patch of dead grass, gently rifling through the desolate zone with a hand. "I'm sorry, Nyanko," she returned, for the third time since they'd stopped. "It just felt like something was out there, okay? I'm really sorry about it."

More squeaking, the kitten now standing atop a boulder nearby, trying to keep himself steady at the tip. When NIGHT finally resolved to look somewhere else for her goods, she picked her familiar up, smooching him gently at the back of his head. "I mean it, Nyanko," she whispered, desperation showing in her tone. It didn't bother the wiggling kitten, though, as he meeped again. NIGHT sighed, knowing what she had to do to make it up to her cat

ID: 132521 | LD: 7 (4, +3)

Edited by NIGHT

So, now, NIGHT was walking around with a cat strapped to her shoulder. A hand to his butt to hold him up and in place, she sighed when Nyanko adjusted his legs, feeling his feet patting her arm.

It wasn't so much a bother to carry him like this; the challenge would come when it was time to set him down afterwards. The immediate benefit that NIGHT took comfort in was that Nyanko would watch the adventurer's back, carried like this, and it was with this modicum of safety she began humming a soft tune. Something to lift the spirits, with hers being so dark and lost almost all of the time.

And there she saw it -- her final material, sat right at the base of the mountain she was beside. The woman bent down to pick it up, trying to ease her cat off her shoulder gently. Then, she scooped him up again, setting him in her bag, taking out a handful more so the kitten would have space to relax in.

ID: 132522 | LD: 18 (15, +3)
5/5 Materials gathered!

Edited by NIGHT

With all five items finally in tow, NIGHT returned to town, footsteps much more energetic than she'd imagined. While she wanted this day to be over with, she hadn't expected the time to fly by her so quickly. Even so, the 9th floor was not a good place for her to be at. A quick visit to the workshop, and she'd have her problem settled for the day.

Thankfully, the blacksmith’s retreat was easier to find that she’d thought, in an isolated corner at the center of town. For a moment, she wanted to wonder how that might’ve been possible, but ignored her thoughts, noticing a man look up from his work as she approached him. Hammer midswing, he asked, blue burning eyes staring back at her in earnest. “What is it?”

“I heard you can reshape weapons to take on a different form. Is five materials good enough for you?”

“Five is sufficient. Put them over there.” Mako, the man was called. He signalled towards a desk by the workshop’s entrance, letting go of the blade in his hands for a moment, before returning to finish the task. “Have you brought the Phoenix feather?”

NIGHT blinked, as she was setting down the materials, caught off guard by the question. “I’m sorry, the what?”

“The…” A sigh, accompanied by furrowed brows. He got up from his stool, taking the metal in his hands to the furnace, setting it down to heat up again. His ashen hands brushed away the dark locks from his face, before they rested on his hips. “Okay. So I’m assuming you’re new to this. Am I correct?”

“Yes…?

“Brilliant. Five materials is adequate, and props to whoever told you that.” Mako folded his arms. “Usually people who come see me first hate hearing about it.” Oh, NIGHT thought. Any other day, and she would be able to relate to their sentiments closely. “But the next part’s the true test. We need a phoenix feather to change your equipment. Now, obviously,” he began, passing his hammer back and forth in his hands. “A phoenix feather must come from a phoenix. Right?”

NIGHT nodded, following.

“So, that part is up to you.” He pointed the head of his tool over to her, eager about the prospect. “You’d obviously need to have the mettle to fight one and win, and bring back a feather from your conquest. Otherwise, my work isn’t sufficient enough for the outcome. A lot of the… uh, magic comes from the beast, you know.”

“Okay. So, where can I find phoenixes, again?”

A shrug. “You might want to check...”

Stylahm. Of course it would be Stylahm. Cardinal would never let her get away with anything when it comes to her emotions.

She hadn’t planned on taking the bridge -- no, not this time. Instead, there was a flight of stairs that was much better suited for ascending the mountain. Mako had informed her to check a clearing nearby, clustered with multitudes of shrivelled plants. What wasn’t burnt, dead or long gone was only holding onto hope to survive, hope that the system selectively chose to fulfill. 

NIGHT kept her faussar equipped, preferring not to see the weapon that would kill her on her person. Nyanko peeped out of his bag as the two made the climb, curious. The adventurer glanced at him with a slight smile. “It’s because it’s a bird; that’s why you’re curious, isn’t it?” An honest meow from the kitten, and her lips formed a smirk instead. There was something incredibly satisfying about making a right guess.

> Swapping the following equipped item:
[T1E3] Liquid Luck Pendant
-- [ Accuracy III | +3 LD ]

with the following item:
[T1E3] Eye of Horus Enamel Pin

-- [ Accuracy III | +3 ACC ]

The summit.

As her gaze met the horizon, she had expected to see the phoenix’s nest. Instead, her sights had laid eyes upon a familiar stationary white, surrounded by multiple white and blue fragments, the wind whipping the particles and their cloth around brazenly. A haunting shadow meeting her daydreams, out from her worst nightmares to hunt her down personally. Physically.

With tense footsteps, she stepped onto the surface of the plateau, the sound of metal hitting rock drawing its attention. Their head turned, from looking up above, cloth moving along with them. For a moment, the light bounced off their skin, and NIGHT swore she spotted the faintest hint of her face painted on theirs. Pink lips that mirrored hers, moving as they shot her a look from behind their shoulder. They were saying something. What was it?

S… Stop, now?

So are you gonna die today or make it out alive?

A piercing shriek from above, and NIGHT took the swiftest of glances, following the trails of lights upwards to the darkened heavens above. Amongst the clouds, a stunningly bright red tear drifting down, the thunderous flapping of wings echoing, stirring the glistening fragments to circle the borders of the summit. Her mark.

When her vision returned to the stone, her shadow was gone.

Edited by NIGHT

The bird was huge. Incredibly so. It circled the area, going over the four rocky pillars that were at the four corners of the plateau, each of them holding a nest of their own. Had this not been a game, she would've felt a tinge of pity and stepped down from the fight. Instead, she pulled down her sword as the phoenix descending, the beast towering over her, with its size. Its wingspan easily stretched from one end of her arena to the other, and its ear-bleeding caw--

-- Enough was enough. She was already seeing visions of the stranger manifest in her periphery; this wasn't just some trauma she would be capable of dealing with haphazardly anymore. Once she got her blade changed, she'd have to look elsewhere for advice, and that meant getting home -- alive.

Pushing herself off the ground, she ran over to her opponent, delivering a blow of her own, before the phoenix delivered theirs; a shove from its enormous bird feet backwards, tossing her onto the ground.

ID: 132524 | BD: 8 (6, +3 +1 -2) | MD: 7 (8, +2 -3)
> Concentration was used. (+1 ACC)
<<Galaxy Destroyer>> vs Phoenix.
14 * 13 = 182 DMG | 182 - 50 = 132 DMG
Phoenix attacks NIGHT! (-87 HP)

Phoenix | HP: 158/290 (-132) | DMG: 87/137 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 1

NIGHT | HP: 493/580 (-87) | EN: 45/58 (-13) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 14 | EVA: 3 | PARALYZE: 2 | BLEED: 1

Edited by NIGHT

Arm yourself, a storm is coming

Another shriek from the bird, as NIGHT tumbled backwards, stopping herself with a wedging of her blade to the floor. The warrior hissed, pulling it out of the ground before running towards it. There was a faint song, in the distance she could hear, and she wasn't sure where it was coming from, until the phoenix peeped again, beginning to wave its wings around again.

Fly, Phoenix, fly

Fly?

Oh no you don't.

She sprinted, weapon trailing behind her as she switched to the offensive. If she didn't stop the bird from soaring, she might be losing her chance to strike it at all, and NIGHT couldn't have that happening to her kill. Her sword flashed with light, coming to life as she swung herself forward, barely hitting her target. A premature sword art, but one that would carry her and the last of her strikes to where the bird was.

As its feet began leaving the ground, it screeched out.

What you gonna do now?

NIGHT's faussar tore into its flesh, sending the bird into a frenzy when it came toppling down on itself. Another sqwark, in protest.

What are you willing to lose?

ID: 132525 | BD: 6 (5, +3 -2)
<<Fight Blade>> vs Phoenix
14 * 6 = 84 DMG | 84 - 50 = 34 DMG
Phoenix was stunned!

Phoenix | HP: 124/290 (-34) | DMG: 87/137 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 1

NIGHT | HP: 493/580 | EN: 37/58 (+1, -9) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 14 | EVA: 3 | PARALYZE: 2 | BLEED: 1
> Cooldowns: <Concentration> (3)

Edited by NIGHT

Phoenix, fly

NIGHT stepped back at the end of her move, sliding just out the way of the falling flame bird. It crumpled to the floor with a horrendous flurry of caws, struggling to get up and beat its wings again. The adventurer watched the bird's head fall beside her, a gigantic thud creating winds strong enough to fling her backwards, sending dust up into the air. She struggled to take hold of the situation, plunging her sword down again, keeping herself steady.

You cover your wounds, but underneath them

Just a little further. The dust was clearly beginning to settle, and the bird beginning to wrestle control away from the system it held itself liable to. Dragging her blade across the floor, she ran over to where its neck was, elongated.

A million voices in your head that whisper...

Stop singing.

Blade up, red glow, sundering the phoenix's throat, a clean cleave that drained the rest of its health bar slowly. One last croak, the heavenly voice beginning to fade away from the arena.

Go bury your demons...

And with a collected shatter, the bird was no more.

ID: 132526 | BD: 6 (5, +3 -2)
<<Galaxy Destroyer>> vs Phoenix
14 * 13 = 182 DMG | 182 - 50 = 132 DMG
Phoenix has been defeated!

Phoenix | HP: -8/290 (-132) | DMG: 87/137 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 1

NIGHT | HP: 493/580 | EN: 25/58 (+1, 13) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 14 | EVA: 3 | PARALYZE: 2 | BLEED: 1
> Cooldowns: <Concentration> (2)

Edited by NIGHT

The feather she'd collected was a warm mix of reds, yellows and purples. There was still the faintest humming of music from it, and NIGHT sent it to her inventory before she could hear anymore voices from it. Frustrating. Her doppelganger's roots traveled down deep, and all the woman wanted was for them to be gone. Sword returned to its hold, she stuffed her hands in her pockets, glancing down at Nyanko. The kitten seemed to look okay. That was good.

She'd only taken the first few steps forward before her gaze returned to the path in front of her. White fluttering cloak; NIGHT wondered if it was another hallucination, after having caught sight of it earlier. A smirk, from underneath the shadows, the scatter of light still waning from the phoenix's remains illuminating their face. Then, they dramatically backflipped, vanishing down the stairs she'd taken to get up to the summit.

Deep breaths.

When she'd reached the top of the stairs, she saw the white clamber down the bottom of the steps at a rushed speed.

At least she knew they were real. And they were still tailing her...

No more thinking, no more walking, no more anything for today. NIGHT just wanted to get back to her workshop and rest. Her fingers rubbed the space between her eyes as she returned to Mako, the blacksmith finally completing the weapon he'd been working on from earlier. With a glance, he looked up from his polish work, making quick conversation. "Oh, you're finally back! I'm assuming you got it."

"I did, actually." A heavy sigh. "And I really hope it works, because I wanna get this over with as much as you do."

"I'm... actually in no rush?"

"No, no..." The woman pulled up her inventory with a hand, summoning up the humming phoenix feather. "I am. Here, take it. I don't wanna see it in my sights right now. Or hear it." Mako pinched the tail end of the material, holding it up to the sky to examine it over. The colours shimmered and mixed together, creating a lovely, mystical ripple. He whistled. "This is the best part of jobs like these," he added. "Looking at phoenix feathers never gets old."

The blacksmith headed into his store. "I've already made the... uh, nametag, from the materials you've given me," he had said, setting down his work. "All that's left for me to do is to meld the powers of the phoenix into it, then I'll pass it over to you, and you can be on your way." NIGHT raised a brow when she'd heard that. "It's free?"

"You basically got me the materials."

So the woman stuck around, waiting for the man to return from his errand. She leaned against one of the wooden poles, trying her best to stay jovial internally. Soon enough, Mako returned, a tiny clip in his hand. With quick feetwork, he made it down the front steps, extending the item over to his client. "There y'go. And if you need anymore where those came from, you know where to find me."

With a careful tug, NIGHT retrieved the nametag from his grasp, examining it over in her hands. "I'll... try figuring out how to use this. Thanks, uh, Mako." He waved her appreciation over, with only the smallest hint of a smile. "No problem."

| Floor 1

Just a moment more, she promised herself, holding the tag item in her hands. NIGHT hadn't wanted to put it away, just in case it vanished away from her, like her paranoia from earlier today would've suggested. Nyanko watched her dangle it in front of the bag, chirping when his paws weren't long enough to bat at it from within his confines. The whole reason behind having her cat be entertained by the glorified keychain was to ensure she wasn't losing her mind, which felt like a tall order for her, especially now.

So one could only imagine how NIGHT felt when, as she turned around the corner, the cloaked stranger was standing right outside her door, head turned to see her approach. "I'm assuming this is a bad time for a talk," they asked, voice indiscernible, as they examined the indescribable look on the adventurer's face, a glance over to the hissing emitting from her bag.

"I--" A huff, but NIGHT had no other words to exchange with the figure. I don't know? You tell me?

A pause. "I think I'd rather chat with you another day," they grinned. "If you're gonna be like that. Tomorrow sounds lovely, right?"

Without waiting for an answer, they turned, beginning to take off, vaulting up onto the rooftops of Oscar's and Bahr's workshops. NIGHT and Nyanko were stranded alone in that alley, the former trying to come to terms with her situation.

... You know what? I've had enough of today.

The thought alone was enough of a reason for her to return back to bed the moment she stepped through her workshop doors.