[F1-PP] <<The Second Lesson, Is Also Free>> Pig pokin' with Mari!

"Thanks, Kendre! I could use your help on another matter, as well." said Lyle Tealeaf, a local blacksmith in the Town of Beginnings. Ken had found himself exploring outside of the Town when he ran across a strange young woman sitting atop a boulder by the name of Mari. Teaming up for the time being, Mari had helped show him a bit about completing quests and the like, leading him to help an Alchemist who then sent him on an errand to deliver a package to Lyle. Arriving in the smithy, he had completed his first quest when the smith had uttered those words. With a sigh, Kendre moved to accept the quest, fully expecting another fetch quest. That's how games go, right?

"I seem to have run short on some of my more rare ingredients. Could you possibly go gather some Boar Pup Tusks for me?" the blacksmith said. Accepting the quest, Ken shrugged and turned to make his way back to where he had left Mari, outside the town. He was surprised and pleased that he wouldn't be running around the place picking up trash, like the last quest. He shuddered softly at his memory of the fish he had caught, and hurried on his way to meet up with @Mari, as if trying to escape the memory of the fish.

Spoiler

Kendre LV 1  | HP 20 | ENERGY 2
DAM:  1 | EVA 0  | MIT 9 | ACC 0 | 

EQUIPPED
Warhammer | Breastplate +1 Regen, +1 Mitigation

Rank 1 Warhammer

Edited by Kendre
Adding statblock after the fact, cause I'm a nub. Don't judge me!

"So..." Mari said to Kendre as he approached her once again, a somewhat bitter look on his face. She knew the look. She had the same feeling when she did various other quests, never this one though. This particular quest line came out after Mari hid herself away in seclusion. It was also way below her level. She'd never reap the rewards from it. So she never bothered to do so - also there was the teeny, tiiiiny matter of having to go into the towns to complete the quests  She knew theoretically, she could. It wasn't like there was an invisible barrier - but she had too many hangups about doing so. 

Still, she received a notification saying she completed the quest - no doubt because the party leader, Kendre had completed the steps. Another popped up something about <<The Second Lesson, is also free>>  hoo boy, there were still two more to go after this one.

"I see you're enjoying the fetch quests." Mari continued with a mocking smile as she stood. 
"Ready to try and fight some boars?"

@Kendre

---

MARI LV 51  | HP 1050 | ENERGY 102
DAM:  11 | EVA 3  | MIT 25 | ACC 4 | 

EQUIPPED
Kusanagi  +2 DAM + 2 BLEED  | Beacon Necklace: +3 ACC  | Infernal Shadow T3 +2 EVA +1 Flame Aura

Rank 5 Dagger
Rank 5 Charge
Rank 5 Light Armour
Bull Rush
Survival
Precision
Athletics
Sprint/Acrobatics

Ken strode up to Mari slowly with a resigned shrug, "Well, killing baby pigs wasn't exactly on my agenda, but if we must sacrifice to the Gaming Gods, then so be it." Checking his gear thoroughly, he stowed away his potions and other miscellany, as he didn't feel he would need them for the upcoming Battle of the Boars. Between a half-decent piece of starting armor and a large, blunt object, Ken felt reasonably assured of his impending victory, especially given that the mighty foe was essentially a pointy-faced piglet, ripe for the pokin'. Checking that his hammer was clear and ready to be drawn, he fastened his lab coat to obscure his armor and gaudy shirt before turning to Mari for direction. "So, happen to know where these pork cutlets are located?" he asked, genuinely uncertain as to where to find the beasties. Closing his UI, he tossed Mari a quick smile before saying, "Hey, by the way, I don't think I've mentioned it, but I appreciate the help... Even if I did suspect you were gonna stab me at first." His smile shifted to a joking grin at the last few words before he fell in behind her, ready to get going.

@Mari

Edited by Kendre
Speech text coloration, tagging

"They're the very first mob you encounter out here, are you telling me you've NEVER ...." Mari groaned as she lifted a hand up to her face. Damn...this was gonna be more time consuming than she thought. "Ok...ok follow me." She gestured as she began to walk forward. As they headed toward the first group of Boar Pups Kendre thanked her. Mari shook her head. "It's really nothing. It's just a time killer for me. I have nothing better to do." 

She stopped in front of the first Boar; happily grazing just a few feet in front of them.

"I'll generate the hate from the boars; you just...uh..." Mari tilted her head to the side. "Wave your hips around I guess?" She didn't exactly have much trust in his combat abilities, if he even had any at all. He seemed completely useless. "It'd be good to keep an eye on what I am doing though." Mari warned. "The next few quests will require you to hit things." Mari pulled out her dagger and sighed. "This...is a little frustrating, because as a dagger user, I have no AoE- so can't take out a bunch at once. I'll take down the first boar, and if you want to give it a go, you can try to take on the second. But if you aren't confident just watch."

Mari drew out her dagger and lazily drove it into the first Boar Pups head. it 
squealed then disintergrated in a flash of red. Leaving behind nothing. "Ahh..looks like we got nothing from that one." 

Mari looked ahead, there was a group of about 3 boars further up. "Well Mr. Hips don't lie - do you want to chance an attack." She gave him a wry grin. "Or should Mama Mari take care of it all for you?"

@Kendre

ID#135119  BD:3+4=7=SUCCESS
LD:2 - NO TUSKS

BOAR PUP  |  HP: 0/5  | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Edited by Mari

Laughing softly as she commented on the boars, "Hey, look, when a giant, floating, omnipotent digi-wizard traps me in a death game, I'm not trying to die when there's a perfectly good safe zone." Following Mari, he smirked softly at her reasoning, "Good to know I'm the best thing on your plate, then." Turning to watch as Mari stepped between him and the boar, he took a step back to ensure he could see clearly, even before she told him to watch, the he commented jokingly, "Hey, waving my hips around has done me well so far. I'm alive, and it clearly wasn't my personality that got you to help."

Watching as she casually dismissed the first pup, Ken wasn't surprised in the least. Low-level mobs like this had always been essentially fodder, even for newbies, in most games. That said, he wasn't expecting it to look like assisted suicide for the boar; what kind of creature just walks face-first into a knife? Taking a step past the dagger-wielding miscreant he had found himself with, he swished his hips smoothly in a manner akin to a sashay as he approached the boar pups, calling back over his shoulder, "You seem pretty fascinated with my hips, Mama Mari. Guess you call me 'Bait' for wholly different reasons, eh?"

Turning to regard the nearby pups, he readied his warhammer in a low position as he advanced casually, his stance wide-open and inviting. However, as soon as the first pup was within range, without a moment to spare, he used a bit of quick footwork to sidestep the boar smoothly as he spun using the weight of the hammer, resulting in an unimpressive but surprisingly smooth strike, hitting the boar on the side of the head firmly.

Spoiler

Kendre LV 1  | HP 20/20 | ENERGY 2/2

ID# 135152 Battle: 9

BOAR PUP | HP: 3/5 | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Edited by Kendre
Adding dice, colors, and spoiler

Jesus Christ and everything that is holy and satanic what on earth is wrong with this man?

Mari thought to herself as he rocked his hips side to side again. Was...was he ok? She was begining to realize why he was cooped up in the Town of Beginnings. This man would die in an instant. She thought about those tv cartoons, where someone would get knocked into the air and go spinning round and round till they hit a sun with a comedic 'ding'  Yeh. She could totally picture that happening to the redheaded man in front of her

"You know each town is a safe zone, you don't have to stay on the first floor."  Mari said. Kendre deflected though; always in high spirits. He reminded her a little of Ceres. Although even she seemed to be more level headed than this man.

Fascinated with..... Mari bristled as her brows furrowed. "Iamnotfascinatedwithyourhipsyoupsycho." She said as she turned away. The next boar...yeh let's get that sorted. Lunatic. Psychotic, what the heck was with this guy?

"You focus on your fuzzy friend there, I'll go for the next one. Remember, because I am with you, we need to collect double the haul. So it may take a while if we don't focus on different enemies."  Mari wasn't meaning to show off, she was just grossly over powered for these boars. So she once again casually walked up to another boar - and rammed her dagger into its side. It gave a cry of pain before bursting into red shards. Leaving behind a single tusk.

"Hey, whaddaya know, one out of six." Mari said as she bent over to pick up the tusk then tossed it to Kendre's direction. He hadn't been hurt yet, so he was in no immediate danger, if his health got too low, she'd make sure he sat back to recover.

@Kendre

1/6 Tusks collected

ID#135153    BD:10  +4= Critical hit
LD:15   - TUSK FOUND

Edited by Mari

Winking as Mari began a flustered defense, Ken burst out laughing as she called him a psycho, responding with an open-ended "Well, to be fair..." before turning an eye back to the boar pup engaging him. Another few deft steps and he had once again danced around the boar's attack before responding by casually allowing his arm to drop, the head of the hammer bouncing the boar's jaw off the ground upon impact, although the determined little thing remained alive. He called over to Mari, "Man, for a giant metal block on a stick, you'd think this would do more damage, if only on principle..."

"Not exactly the fastest things around, eh?" he commented, observing the almost-docile boars wandering about; 2 engaged by them, and one still wandering freely, though surely others still lay in wait, their vile and villainous schemes being plotted. Or maybe they're just grazing?

Spoiler

ID# 135156 Battle: 7

BOAR PUP | HP: 2/5 | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Back at you, Le @Mari

Edited by Kendre
Cause reasons

To be fair? To be fair what?

"You're kinda annoying, you know that?" Mari said as she shifted to the next boar; shoving her dagger straight through it. This was...quite possibly the easiest battle she ever had. Another Tusk materialized as the Boar fell to its side, legs sticking out straight before it disappeared. "I suppose you don't have to take this too seriously, because I'm here- but really...do you think you should be so cavalier?" Mari asked as she glanced at him, He was still fighting the first Boar - at least he was able to avoid its attacks.

"If you were to drop a hammer onto a normal Boar you'd probably be gored to shreds - after this you should be able to get better weapons, armour - all sorts." Mari turned her blue gaze to the field where more of the boars roamed, happily grazing on the grass. 

Why was she doing this? What did she have to gain from it? Kendre didn't really seem to care if she was there or not. He seemed to be able to take care of things. Was she just being delusional - claiming to 'help him' 

"Hey...." Mari said quietly, still not turning to look at him. "Is my presence a bother? Like - I'll leave if you need me to."

@Kendre

2/6 Tusks collected

ID#135169   BD:4  +4=8
LD:  11 - TUSK 

Edited by Mari

"You're kinda annoying, you know that?" she said, causing him to chuckle a bit before responding with a joking grin, "Yeah, I've heard that before. Hasn't bothered me yet, though." before jumping nimbly over the little boar's attempt at a charge, landing gracefully before continuing, "As for being cavalier, they're tutorial mobs. I may not be the brawniest guy, but I've got a fair bit of gaming experience. I would wager that any build could handle these at level one, unless their first skill was something ridiculous, like searching or something. I mean, I've got virtually no dps, and this thing is over half dead."

Gracefully sidestepping another adorable little charge, Ken casually bonked it on the head once again before leaning sideways to use his warhammer to lean on. If Mari were paying close attention, she may've noticed that Ken nearly always pivoted on his right leg, and kept the same leg in the forward position, making his right-handed attacks somewhat clumsy-looking, even if still surprisingly accurate. "Trust and believe, I'm not nearly so cavalier in an actually dangerous situation." he said, lifting his hammer to settle it over his shoulder before advancing to the gaze-averting woman and patting her gently on the shoulder as he walked toward the next batch of baby boars, saying as he passed, "I dunno, you've been bothering the boars, I guess. As for me, I think you made this a lot less boring. Plus, I got to show off my fabulous hips."

Turning as he went, he flashed her a wink and a reassuring smile as he kept baiting the little baby boar along with him almost playfully, as he slowly meandered toward the next batch.

Spoiler

ID# 135256 Battle: 7 MOB: 5

BOAR PUP | HP: 1/5 | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Edited by Kendre
Coloration, dice, etc

It was almost depressing, how easy Mari was able to tear through the boars - this would be her fourth victim. Mari lazily drew her blade across its face as it approached her. It burst into shards of data leaving behind another tusk. "Well, that's another." She said as she bent down to pick it up.

"I've collected half of them already." Mari said as she paused to wipe the grime from her blade onto her jean shorts. "I may even get all six before you kill the one boar." She added with a wry smile. She was trying to keep things lighthearted, even though she really didn't feel like joking around. 

Mari had long since given up on trying to understand Kendre; she figured the best thing she could do was take his actions at face value. "I can't...afford to be so carefree." She said as she turned to the next Boar.

@Kendre

3/6 Tusks collected

ID#135276  BD: 4 +4=8
LD:20   - TUSK GET

BOAR PUP  |  HP: 5/5  | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Edited by Mari

He turned to grin at Mari as she leisurely slaughtered the small, infantile beasts which stood helplessly before her, laughing quietly as she commented on his speed, Still chuckling, he responded "Well, to be fair, I think we both expected something along these lines, though." Just as he finished speaking, his little boar friend outmaneuvered him while he was distracted and rush forward with a jumping leap, slamming into Ken's breastplate with a soft thud. Recoiling for a second from surprise, Ken quickly snapped his free hand out in a quick punch in retaliation, accidentally overbalancing as he reacted and falling down next to the boar. 

Laying crumpled on the ground next to a battered and enraged baby boar, Ken couldn't help but laugh as the little boar growled at him aggressively. Glancing at his health bar, he noted that he had only taken 1 damage due to his armor, and his chuckling intensified slightly as he realized that this boar physically could not kill him. Still chuckling from the ground, face partially-flushed from falling on his face, Ken remarked "Why not? I promise, it doesn't cost much. Kinda the point, actually."

Spoiler

Kendre LV 1  | HP 19/20 | ENERGY 2/2

(Boar hit for 3hp, Mit'd to 1. Regen activates next turn.)

ID# 135499 Battle: 1 MOB: 8

BOAR PUP | HP: 1/5 | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Edited by Kendre

Another swipe at another boar, and its health instantly dropped to Zero. "True, there is a vast difference in our levels." Mari gave Kendre a smirk. "Not to make you feel...inadequate or anything of course." She watched as the boar slammed into him, causing him to step back a few feet then falling to his rear. A glance to his health bar noted his safety, she didn't have to step in just yet. Besides in another hit he'd have defeated the boar. "With any luck it'll drop a tusk. And we'll be all but done." Mari turned her attention back to her own 'loot'

She picked up the tusk with a heavy sigh. There wasn't really much more she could say on the matter someone so carefree like him, with little worries, he carried no weight on those broad and spindly shoulders of his. She lifted her soft gaze to him. "I have another tusk." She said with a dull tone. He was so happy, and she was probably bringing him down.

Great job Mari, offer your help then unload all your sh*t onto a strange man who is obsessed with his hips

Her lips parted with another sigh. "I don't mean to drag you down Kendre, I have a lot on my mind." Mari said as she headed to the other boar. "Maybe I'm just being a bitter b**ch. I can't be carefree, I have to always be on guard - I can't trust others, I feel like I'm just going through the motions a lot of the time."

@Kendre

4/6 Tusks collected

ID#135506   BD:  5 + 4 = 9
LD:  19 - TUSK GET

Edited by Mari

Rolling backwards with surprising dexterity, Ken managed to quickly return to his feet with a huff, driving the rambunctious boar pup like a professional golfer with an underhand swing of his hammer. Spinning through the air briefly, the pup let out a high-pitched squeal before shattering into crystalline fragments. Turning to Mari, he shrugged "No tusk, but I got one."

Just as he finished speaking, another boar pup barreled at him from the pack he had approached, lunging upward and slamming into his chin, though it seemed to do little aside from surprise him, his gaze diverting from his victorious sparkles to his new nemesis. "You arrogant little..." he started, before hearing Mari's words. Leaning over, he picked up the feisty little boar pup by the scruff of its neck before eyeing Mari. "What's wrong with being a bitter bitch? And why can't you be carefree? You said you have nothing waiting for you outside, so why not enjoy the inside? Is it really so desolate?"

@Mari

Spoiler

Kendre LV 1  | HP 19/20 | ENERGY 2/2

(Regen activates for 5hp. Boar hit for 5hp, Mit'd to 1. Regen resets.)

ID# 135571 Battle: 6 MOB: 9

BOAR PUP | HP: 0/5 | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

BOAR PUP | HP: 5/5 | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Edited by Kendre

Mari tore through the next boar with the same dull...emotionless and effortless swipe of her dagger as the others. This was tedious, boring, and it was more of a chore than anything else. Still, Mari promised to help Kendre. Her blue eyes lifted up to watch Kendre do some fancy acrobatics, then having the Boar finally shatter. She bit her tongue to avoid saying anything negative. Her initial reaction was About goddamn time but that wasn't exactly nice now, was it?

"G-Good job." Mari said.

That was a compliment, right? Mari turned down her gaze to the floor before her.

"No Tusk here either." Mari said with a sigh.   "After this you're gonna have to go back and craft something again. But it sounds like you probably don't really need the armour."

She began to walk toward the next pup. Her eyes widened as Kendre picked up the Boar Pup by the scruff of the neck. "W...what are...." She sighed. Shaking her head. "They're not puppies Kendre." She scolded. 

Why can't I be carefree?

"Isn't the idea of a carefree Pker a little...wrong to you?" Mari asked as she turned her head away from him. "I'd...like to try and enjoy things here, but I don't really feel like that's fair."

@Kendre

4/6 Tusks collected

ID# 135643  BD: 10  + 4 =success
LD:  4 - No tusk

BOAR PUP  |  HP: 5/5  | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Edited by Mari

Smiling softly at her attempt at a compliment, he sighed softly as her boar failed to drop a tusk as well. Carrying his scruffy little prize over to stand next to Mari with what may have been the most serious expression she had seen on him, despite the ridiculousness of him holding... and beginning to pet the boar?! Ken, now completely straight-faced, responded to her "Of course it's not a puppy, it's a boar, and his name is Kevin. Kevin Bacon. And what exactly do you mean wrong? Wrong for who? For what? We're trapped in a giant sandbox murder game designed by a psycho to kill innocent children, and you're worried if you're a bad person? Mari, I will admit, I'm generally pretty laid back, but you don't seem like the awful person you think you are, not to me. You call yourself a PKer, but you're helping a defenseless newb? You say it's wrong to be carefree, but how does that make sense? I don't know what you've been through, or what you've done, but I don't believe in morality if it means you can't be happy. That's just stupid, [censored] that. Let people think what they will. Don't be held down by chains you're putting on yourself, and I think you'll be a lot happier. We've traipsed through a field of flowers, played with small animals, and you got to watch me shake my moneymaker, and you act like you're bringing me down or something. I'd still be wandering near the wall figuring out what to do without you. So how about, instead of telling me how awful you are, you get over the fact that I think you're actually pretty alright, and come have fun with me?"

Taking a deep breath, winded at his excessive explanation, he turned to glare at her, almost angrily, as he brandished the boar pup in front of her, still kicking and trying to escape. Far enough so it can't hit her, Ken shook it around a bit and said with incredible intensity, "And you hold CATS by their scruff, not dogs!" Tossing a wink at her to let her know he's not really mad, he pets Kevin reassuringly as it struggles, whispering "It's okay, Kevin, it's okay... Just let us kill your friends, and you'll be okay."

@Mari

Spoiler

(Regen activates for 5hp. Regen 1/3. Kendre did not attack. Boar missed.)

ID# 135714 Battle: 7 MOB: 4

BOAR PUP | HP: 5/5 | Drops Tusks on LD 11+ | Boar renamed 'Kevin Bacon'

Edited by Kendre

Mari sighed as she tore through another Boar Pup, it gave a feeble and slobbery cry before erupting into a flurry of data. Leaving behind absolutely nothing. "Haven't been very lucky with these last few boars..." Mari mumbled. "Yanno there are items to increase your loot drop chances? Maybe I should have picked up one of them - we still have two  bloody quests after this!"  Mari kicked at the ground.  "Man, forcing lower level players through this gauntlet is torture."

She turned to Kendre who... was carrying the Boar Pup. "Omg you....shouldn't you put that down and...." Mari face palmed. He had gone and named it...bloody Kevin Bacon of all things. Jeez. "Fine, keep it, whatever- but it's gonna keep attackin' you ya know."  She chastized. "There's a quest for you to find and tame familiars - you could find a different pig doing that." She doubted he'd listen, but hey. At least the information was out there now.

Kendre then went into a small speech about how she wasn't really a bad person. Mari shrunk into herself. She wanted to scream at him, tell him to f**k off because he had no idea who the hell she was and what she had done. Instead she offered Kendre a sheepish grin. "I guess I'm slowly workin on trying to get out of my own head. It's a little hard though." She tapped her temple. "The me in there seems to be stuck, know of any ways to get the little voices inside your head out your ears?" She tried to joke. His speech made her feel a little better - and she knew she had to stop hating herself.

But that'd take time.

@Kendre

ID#136032   BD: 5+ 4 = SUCCESS
LD:  2 = fail

BOAR PUP  |  HP: 5/5  | Drops Tusks on LD 11+

Edited by Mari
  • 7 months later...

"Oh shoot! I got somewhere to go, I'm so sorry Mari!" Kendre said with an apologetic expression. "I'll make it up to you soon, I promise." He gave her an elongated and exaggerated wink before shaking his hips at her. "Remember, these hips don't lie!"

All Mari could do was give him an awkward wave goodbye. "Thats...uh...no that's fine, really!" Mari didn't mind too much, although the quest itself was frustrating, she wasn't the one who had to do it. So it just meant less boars for her to deal with. But what did that mean? "Hmmm..." Mari crossed her arms over her chest. What should she do now that she was left to her own devices? She could message Ceres and try to get some sort of business deal going....but the redhead hadn't been responding to things lately.

"It's a shame to go home so early...it's such a nice day out..." Mari said to herself.

Mari kicked at a tuft of grass with a black boot - shooting blades of it up and into the air. The sun beat warmly against her back, and there were little other player groups about. So she didn't need to worry about being attacked or mocked. Maybe it'd be a good idea to just...slowly make her way back up to the stairs, but maybe she could pick up some materials along the way. That way the day wouldn't be a complete loss.

Not that it had been entirely, Kendre was a nice person to hang around - he didn't judge her and he didn't seem to have too many troubles so Mari didn't feel the inherent need to look after him. 

During her leisurely walk back to the stairs that lead up to the second floor Mari paused, noticing a small glimmer between the rocks on the off beaten path. "Hmm..." She bent down to try and pick it up, but it was wedged in there pretty good. "Eh, not worth it." 

ID:171006 LD:8 FAIL!

Edited by Mari

Mari pushed herself up off the ground and dusted off her knees, her skin still stained with grass. "Ooff...Well, it's not like I'm vying for anyone's attention or anything." Mari muttered to herself. She stepped over the sparkling, shimmering item that had been lodged between the rocks and dirt in the path in the ground. She didn't need it, not really. Mari was just trying to kill some time.

With another long stride away from the lost material Mari continued down the beaten path - one barely anyone used; why would they? Most players within the game were able to use the towns teleport gates. Mari missed that. It would be nice to be able to quickly make her way from the first floor all the way up to the 25th, rather than have to set aside a few days travel- a week if she wanted to take decent breaks. No, none of that simplicity would ever come to her again unless she took the redemption quest.

ID:171007  LD: 6 FAIL

Edited by Mari

"Well..." Mari said as she saw the staircase upward in her sights. "Guess I didn't get anything decent after all." She glanced over her shoulder. The first floor was....quaint...nice, and peaceful. Mari often forgot how calm and serene the scenery was. She wondered, was the Town of Beginnings still a bustling place? Did people still come to and from it? What about the children? Were they safe in the orphanage? These are the sort of things Mari wouldn't really be able to know without asking someone for the secondhand knowledge. But...asking something those questions seemed like such a waste.

Then there was the monument of Life - something Mari would equally loathe and yearn to see. She didn't want to see her name up there, but she wanted to see all the others, each and every player who had lost their lives, and how. Were the people she once considered friends on there? Or were they safe. Not knowing was terrible, but asking others for confirmation seemed out of the question. "Hmmm...." She wasn't sure ....maybe Mari could ask Macradon.

...Maybe...

Mari turned from the first floor, stepping into the room that once held the floor boss; and slowly, she ascended the stairs to the second floor.

Thread Finished:
Each Player Recieves:

2 SP
200 Col

Edited by Mari