[PP - F23] Beady Eyes & Thunder Thighs

Alyssa had always been the observant sort, but time in Aincrad had made her even more so. As such, when Oscar glanced at his watch, Lessa noticed. The casual gesture caught her by surprise, and she found it difficult to swallow around the lump that formed in her throat. Cooking with him, and feeding the hoards of children had been oddly therapeutic. It had been easy to forget the grim realities they faced every day. Even though they had discussed the game during clean-up, she still felt a strange twang of longing when he checked his wrist instead of his HUD. Nostalgia lingered in the back of her mind, always present, though more prevalent some days than others. If she let it, the feeling would consume her completely, as it occasionally did in her most vulnerable moments. Even years later, Lessa could still break down as she struggled to remember the sound of her mom's laugh.

"Ah, no," Lessa answered dumbly when his question registered. Once more, she had been so lost in thought that she had nearly ignored him completely. "I'm not sure I ever told you." This time, it was she who checked her display, then thumbed over to the quests tab. She dragged her lower lip between her teeth as she skimmed it, then began to read aloud. "Quest's called Ugzeke The Mighty. Floor twenty three, recommended level is thirty five." She cast him a quick glance before her eyes returned to the log. "Not sure if you're familiar with this one, but it seems fairly straight forward. Kill this monster guy. He has a decent chunk of health, and deals two hundred damage a hit, but I can mit a lot of that." Quirking a small smile, she added, "If I remember correctly, so can you."

Lessa dismissed the popup with a wave of her hand. "I don't really think it'll be all that tough, but the last time I thought that about a quest, I almost died." The woman was unsure how much Oscar knew about her first fight alongside Bahr, but the thought of it still sent chills up her spine. "I won't be underestimating any quests again in the near future. I'd really feel better having you along."

• 3 weeks later...

"I don't really think it'll be all that tough, but the last time I thought that about a quest, I almost died."

"The Lich thing, right?" Oscar asked. He waved his hand dismissively. "From what Bahr told me, it was his error. You'd not have been in that position if the two of you hadn't gone off script at the drop of a hat," he added. Bahr had gnawed his ear off about this particular failing. Oscar hadn't been gentle in his explanation that it had only happened because of Bahr's impulsivity. It generated no small amount of vexation that Lessa was hung up on it as well. Then again, there's something to be said about the psychological damage wrought when your mortality is measured by a number that was rapidly approaching zero. She needed to get her confidence back. What better way to do that than by showing her how smoothly a fight can go with proper planning?

From what Oscar knew about the quest, Ugzeke was a field boss with no additional minions. Just a meaty target for them to run through the motions of combat with. A perfect way to get things back on track. Oscar placed two fingers in his mouth and whistled loudly. The shrill sound carried through the air, reverberating through the towering buildings of the city. Moments ticked past and a sharp bark could be heard in the distance. Moments later, a hulking red blur rounded the corner and dashed straight for them. Oscar waited with both hands in his pockets as Leeroy and Jenkins skidded to a stop in front of him. Uncharacteristically, the two of them were at attention - ears perked up, eyes scanning the area vigilantly. "Alright boys, we've got a giant to kill. Need you two on your A-Game." The two heads of his familiar barked in tandem, awaiting their master's next command. With a slight smile, Oscar then turned to Lessa.

"I'm going to tell you what isn't going to happen today. We're definitely not going to have a repeat of that foolishness Bahr got you caught up in. We're going to make a plan and, most importantly, stick to it. You'll find that most enemies in this game are child's play if you go in with proper planning. Well, that and the realization that you're a video game character. There's a whole world of crazy shit you can pull off once you get that through to yourself. I'll be glad to give you a demonstration if you're unconvinced. You ready to knock this thing out?"

• 1 month later...

Oscar's dismissal caught Lessa off-guard, and once the surprise had faded, hurt took up residence in her blue eyes. She had nearly died, a reality she would never truly wrap her head around. The feeling of the King's sword piercing her, pinning her to the ground, returned to her in her most vulnerable moments. Yet he could just bowl right over it, as if it didn't matter at all? "Yeah," Lessa replied tersely, "the Lich thing." Had Oscar never come so close to death? Or, if he had, had it really left no lasting effect? The latter was hard to believe. The more the woman thought about it, the more annoyed it made her. Who was he to make her feel small? Sharp words danced on the tip of her tongue, but Lessa clenched her jaw, choosing instead to remain silent. At least, for the time being.

As Leeroy and Jenkins barreled toward them like a midwest tornado, Lessa instinctively stepped back. If the familiars couldn't stop in time, she'd rather they collide with Oscar. Not only was he their owner, he was built like a tank, and likely wouldn't be sent sprawling the way she would. Fortunately, they managed to slide to a halt without help, and waited expectantly for their assignment. "I left Riker in the park around the corner," she informed him. "I'll be right back." While she easily could have summoned him with a whistle, the brief walk helped her cool off a bit. By the time she returned, the wolf trotting dutifully at her heels, some of the angry color had faded from her cheeks. 

"Alright," she began once Oscar had concluded, "what would you recommend plan-wise? I'll follow your lead, then."

It quickly became readily apparent that Oscar had misspoke. Her sudden stiffness, the way she set her jaw. Even the tone of her voice. Oscar clicked his tongue, trying to formulate the right words to say to attempt to walk back his indifference to her near death experience. He considered her a friend. The last thing he wanted to do was be hurtful. Mercifully, she'd decided to part momentarily. Presumably, this would give her time to pull herself together. Oscar, for his part, had time to choose his words more carefully. He'd assumed - wrongly - that by playing the game she'd made peace with her own mortality. That she'd assessed the risks and accepted them. His folly was that he'd had this same struggle years before he'd even heard about this game. Oscar had decided then that if he was to die, he was going to die on his feet.

Twenty years couldn't possibly compare to just a few months. He'd had the benefit of being in a fight for survival long before this death game began. Perhaps that was why he was so well-adjusted. Or perhaps it was the fact that while he wouldn't jump in front of a moving vehicle, he probably wouldn't move out of the way if one were coming towards him either. Oscar had such a fucked up opinion on his own mortality that it was no small wonder that he'd stuck his foot in his mouth here. He had no real advice to give, unless Lessa wanted to suddenly adopt his passive suicidal tendencies. 

Upon her return, she attempted to change the subject. Their plan of action against the quest boss. He would make a point to apologize when the wound was less fresh. If he tried digging into it now, it would probably only make things that much worse. So he plastered on a smile and dug into the plan. "You dash in, hit it with a stun. I'll hold back and activate Parry. You hit again, call for a switch. Then you activate Parry. We fight as normal until it dies or until my Parry gets triggered. Then, we switch back to you." While it was evident that she still hadn't rallied completely from what had to be a real kick in the gut, perhaps some distraction would help everything along.

• 4 weeks later...

The plan made sense, a point Lessa demonstrated by nodding along with it. "Sure, that sounds fine." Again, the boss they planned to fight likely did not require so much strategizing. It was entirely possible that they would kill Ugzeke in only a couple of hits, meaning the journey there took more time and effort than the fight itself. But planning ahead definitely made Lessa feel better, so she allowed silence to fall between them. It wasn't until they had reached the teleportation plaza that she spoke again. "Kalanaes!" she called, then allowed the game to whisk her away. In the beginning, the sensation of being zapped somewhere else had thrilled her. Now? It had no impact at all. After so many years, she hardly even noticed the magic of it anymore.

It took mere seconds for the heavy weight to settle on Lessa's chest. The elven eyes burned into her, the resentment and distrust as scalding as a red-hot poker. Despite herself, Lessa shivered beneath her heavy armor. "I really hate this place," she muttered to Oscar, subconsciously picking up the pace to escape the settlement. "I know they're just NPCs, and it really shouldn't matter, but you can just feel the hate. It practically rolls off of them in waves." As if on cue, a long, willowy man sneered at the pair as they passed. Lessa offered him a quick smile, only to be met with a hard tch of disgust.

Her smile falling away, the woman huffed out a breath. "It's not like we even did anything to them. Hell, we're here to help them."

This was actually Oscar's first venture onto Floor 23. From the moment they touched down, the slender elves viewed them with smoldering contempt. Oscar stepped off of the platform, posture loose and relaxed. It would seem that he and Lessa had made something of a scene with their arrival with the way everyone had stopped what they were doing to stare at them.. No sense sticking around where they weren't wanted. Lessa took the first step and Oscar followed along. The pair crossed paths with an elven gentlemen to which Lessa had flashed a warm, if awkward smile. His rude dismissal - while entirely expected - rubbed Oscar the wrong way.

"It's polite to smile back when people smile at you," Oscar piped up from behind Lessa. "Though, I'd wager you wouldn't know politeness if it snapped your skinny ass like a twig." It had just been an NPC but it was always nice to see them glitch at an unexpected reaction. Oscar clapped back at their collective attempts to cow them. They didn't even have the height advantage on him, which he was certain gave them a sort of holier-than-thou demeanor. At least, it would to any real person. They were just a product of Cardinal's programming. Sophisticated though it might be, that moment where the NPC stopped completely to calculate it's next reaction was just delicious. Finally, the System seemed to have settled on something. The contempt blanched from his face as he scurried off behind them, taking great care not to meet Oscar's eyeline. Oscar chuckled, both at the elf's reaction and Lessa's comment. "They can build a bridge and get over it," he replied. "Do you think NPCs know how to build bridges?"

Things calmed down once they made it out of town. This was a high-level floor, certainly, but the interface led them on a critical path to their target. Thus, they were able to avoid all of the roaming monsters that were out and about. A cave entrance yawned before them. A fetid rot seeped out from within its depths. Oscar raised his hand to his face, biting down on one of his knuckles to prevent himself from retching. The stench was so profound that his eyes were watering. "Jesus! I've smelled some rot before but this tops it all." He almost didn't want to do the quest now. But they'd come this far. He could bathe later. Probably several times. He stepped inside of the cave, readying his weapon. His eyes fell upon the titan dwelling within. He tightened his grip and took a step forward. Only for the giant to lean to the left and rip one practically right in his face. The fresh wave of death washed over him and stopped him dead in his tracks. Oscar dropped his axe, pitched forward, and began retching. When he was finally able to get a word out, he waved Lessa towards the beast.

"I uh... Ladies first?"

Spoiler

[0]Lessa HP: 950/950 | EN: 92/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[0]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 95/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+] | ID: 171853 | BD: 1, Miss

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 1500/1500 | DMG: 200 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 

• 2 weeks later...

At the mention of the elf's skinny ass, Lessa couldn't help but snort. The glares, the scowls, the heavy judgment in their beady eyes all worked to weigh Lessa down. Oscar's easy dismissal came as a surprise, wasting no more effort than if he were flicking off an annoying fly. The next breath she drew came a bit more easily. "I have no idea if NPCs build bridges," she replied slowly. "I guess literally, if they have somewhere to go. But probably not in the figurative sense." The blonde pursed her lips in thought, then let them curl into a smirk. "Granted, they're so scrawny that they probably couldn't build much of anything." And truth be told, she did feel better as they left the city behind.

Even before the pair reached the cave, Lessa recognized the smell of death. The cool breeze carried the distantly familiar scent, like a perfume she recalled someone wearing a decade before. She could place it, but it wasn't something she had experienced in a very long time. Not a freshly dead animal, Lessa mused, thinking back on deer she had harvested with her family. No, this was something long dead - the roadkill sitting untouched for a week, or the mouse carcass discovered in a grain bag. And as Aincradian dead bodies burst into pixels, Lessa couldn't quite understand why the sour aroma of rotting flesh assaulted her nostrils.

Oh. That was why.

The grotesque giant's fart blasted Lessa's blonde hair back from her face. She might have found it comical, even laughed, if she weren't so busy hurling. Doubled over at the waist, hands on her knees, Lessa and Oscar shared an intimate moment of synchronized gagging. When she finally straightened, a little green around the gills, she shook her head. "I've never really been the kind to complain about bad smells," she informed her companion. "Then again, I've also never been farted on by anything as ugly as this son of a bitch." With a metallic hiss, the Guardian slid Sickle free of its sheath. "The sooner we kill it, the sooner I can bathe in bleach."

Spoiler

[1]Lessa HP: 950/950 | EN: 80/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] | ID: 173772 BD: 3 + 4 - 1 = 6. HIT. 16 * 13 = 208 - 35 = 173
[0]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 95/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 1327/1500 | DMG: 200 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 

After what felt and seemed like an eternity, Oscar was finally able to regain his composure. He plucked his weapon from the ground and rose back to his full height just in time to see Lessa get slapped around like a ragdoll by the massive hulking brute in front of them. Oscar blinked slowly, watching Lessa fly into the air and get swatted back down to earth by a massive meaty hand. That's gratuitous, he thought. Oscar hadn't expected Lessa to get rocked like that so early into the fight. He had hoped that they would at least have time to set up their Parries and Switch before things went completely sideways. He took a steadying breath as the gears turned in his head. On the one hand, he could try to get a Hate lead and take the boss's attention. But they would simply be back at square one if Oscar wound up having the misfortune of getting clobbered like that. Stick to the plan, he thought with some measure of resolve. We can rally.

Oscar spun his weapon around in his hand, the axe and his body becoming briefly cloaked in pale blue aura. Parry activated. Hopefully Lessa she still had plenty of health left and the chance that the boss would have enough left in the tank to deliver a second punishing blow to the blonde was unlikely. "Hold what you got, Lessa! Just a little bit of a tank test before we get into the real fight!"

Spoiler

[1][STUN 0/1] Lessa HP: 753/950 | EN: 80/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[0]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 91/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Oscar activates Parry [-5 EN]

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 1291/1500 | DMG: 200 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 | ID: 174044 | BD: 7+2, Deal 111 DMG, CD: 11 Deal 86 DMG - Lessa is stunned

Edited by Oscar
  • 1 month later...

Whenever Lessa had considered superpowers, she had always settled on flight as her ability of choice. To be able to travel great distances in a short amount of time, and avoid being stuck in bad traffic? What could be better? Besides, she figured the thrill of floating through the air, the wind in her hair and cold against her face, had no equal.

Of course, this was not that.

Instead, Lessa's body sailed across the cave in a tangle of arms and legs. When she smacked into the opposite wall like an enraged gamer's xbox controller, the breath left her lungs in a violent whoosh. A strangled gasp was the only sound she managed to make, as when she moved to find her feet, she realized her body simply did not work. Either the game is really fucking with me now and I have a broken spine, or I'm stunned. The blonde's eyes rolled wildly, attempting to see what was happening around her.

Spoiler

[1][STUN 1/1] Lessa HP: 753/950 | EN: 81/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[0]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 91/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Oscar activates Parry [-5 EN]

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 1255/1500 | DMG: 200 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 | ID: 174044 | BD: 7+2, Deal 111 DMG, CD: 11 Deal 86 DMG - Lessa is stunned

This was an opportune moment to take some of the heat off of Lessa. If he could land a hit, then he could get Ugzeke to swing into him instead of his prone and defenseless companion. Maybe then they could get the fight back on track and according to plan. Of course, since he needed to tag the brute, the universe had different plans. As he swung his axe, the blade got caught into a random stone, jerking the weapon out of his hands. As Chaos Eater clattered to the floor, Oscar let out a groan of frustration. "Am I fucking drunk? I gotta be right?" A stream of expletives flowed freely from his mouth as he picked his weapon up. Mercifully, Ugzeke seemed rather confused, strained to make out either of the Players in the darkness. Perhaps it was because Lessa was stuck on the ground and Oscar had yet to land even the slightest of blows to the beast that it had trouble locating them. Given the way the fight was going at this point, Oscar wasn't going to look a small mercy such as that in the mouth. "Hey Lessa! Can you feel your toes yet? I think I made too many Sand Shark jokes because I'm on some rookie shit right now."

Spoiler

[1]Lessa HP: 753/950 | EN: 81/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[0]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 90/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Oscar uses Explode Catapult -2 EN
ID: 179585 | BD: 1, Miss

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 1291/1500 | DMG: 200 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 | ID: 174044 | BD: 8+2 | CD: 3, Ugzeke takes no action

Edited by Oscar
  • 2 weeks later...

Fortunately for Oscar, many of the smart-ass comments Lessa hoped to make went unsaid. This was not due to her polite ways or considerate nature, of course. On the contrary, she wanted more than anything to comment on his glorious failures. The problem was, her lips were still frozen, and they seemed to be the final thing to thaw out. When she could finally move them, she blew out a hard breath, then climbed to her feet.

"Karma," she said flatly. She bent at the waist to retrieve her fallen sword, but also used the motion to hide her quick smile. When she straightened again, she eyed her companion dubiously. "That's the universe telling you that you shouldn't make fun of me. It'll come back to bite you in the ass." Now her gaze swung to the massive troll-thing, and her nose scrunched in disgust. "Judging by the look of this guy, it could be literally." 

Spoiler

[2]Lessa HP: 753/950 | EN: 69/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[0]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 90/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Lessa uses Galaxy Destroyer
180245 BD: 8. HIT. 16 * 13 = 208 - 35 = 173
* Autofilled roll purpose with wrong SA, and I wasn't paying attention. Rolled again. Didn't actually change outcome.

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 1082/1500 | DMG: 200 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 | ID: 174044 | BD: 8+2 |

• 3 months later...

Oscar had nothing to refute Lessa's jab. He had overplayed his ribbing about their first encounter a bit too much and now he was suffering for it. Well, more accurately, Lessa was suffering for it. He clicked his tongue, his gaze narrowing on the task at hand. He hooked his foot under his weapon, kicking it into the air in a rapid spin. Alright now. Deep breath. Eyes closed, lungs filled. Chaos Eater slowed and began to descend. Oscar's hand bolted out and took hold of the haft. Exhale. Eyes open. Focus. His target was the size of a barn and he needed to tag it at least once if he wanted to keep pace in this Hate race. Oscar dashed into range, keeping as low as he could to prevent a repeat of the last attempt.

Chaos Eater flashed as the blade drove deep into the giant's thigh. The sheer density of Ugzeke's muscles held fast to the keen edge. Feeling resistance, Oscar dug in his heels and poured on even more steam. Flesh resisted at first. It was as if carving through solid stone. Oscar pushed in, Chaos Eater trapping itself further. He paused for a brief moment, stepped forward, and ripped the weapon towards his front. Had this been reality, Oscar would have probably found himself showered with crimson as his weapon tore its way free.

For all of his efforts, the giant didn't seem to be very concerned with the gash Oscar left. Indeed, the creature stalked (as much as a giant could) towards Lessa. He raised his club over his head and brought it down and around, swatting the blonde warrior like a human-sized golf ball towards the nearest wall. In an ironic role reversal, it was Oscar that was stepping in to halt her involuntary momentum. As she'd done once in the dunes of Floor 5, Oscar moved quick and plucked her out of her crash course with the cavern wall by the arm. He pulled and pivoted, swinging Lessa out and around and back onto her feet. Such a maneuver would invariably rip his shoulder from its socket in the real world, but it seemed well within the realm of possibility within the confines of their prison.

"Things don't seem to be going to plan," Oscar said calmly as he dusted off his suit. "Call a Switch. Your health is too low."

Spoiler

[2]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 69/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[1]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 75/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

ID: 186988 | BD: 6+2-1, Deal 189 DMG -16 EN

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 893/1500 | DMG: 200 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 | ID: 186989 | BD: 4+2, CD11 | UGZEKE SMASH!, Deal 111+86 DMG, stun fails

Edited by Oscar
  • 5 weeks later...

"Oh shi-"

The force of the club meeting her breastplate stole the word from her lips, and the air from her lungs. Lessa crumpled, contorting like a soccer mom's folding chair before it was thrown into the back of a mini van. Distantly, she knew that she would collide with the cave wall very soon, and most likely, end up just a paralyzed as the last time. Instead, a second force was applied, adjusting her trajectory. The ground rushed back up to the soles of her boots, and she stumbled into Oscar as he plucked her out of the air. Fortunately, the Player was stocky enough that she didn't knock him over. "Appreciate it," she managed as she looked herself over for evident injuries. No crimson gashes, and a quick glance at her health bar showed no status effects. But it was still a whole lot lower than she liked.

"Alright, sure, a switch sounds like a good idea."

Truth be told, Lessa fell back on the switching mechanic very rarely. It wasn't often that she fought with others, and when she did, the situation hardly ever looked so dire that a hate-swap was necessary. So it took her a moment to work through exactly what needed to be done. One hit, then call for a switch. That's all she had to do.

Fortunately, the game gods were on her side. Despite her earlier setbacks, Lessa effortlessly slashed the smelly behemoth. Then she swung back around to look at Oscar, eyes wild with both the fear and the adrenaline from the hit. "Switch!"

Spoiler

[4]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 57/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[1]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 75/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Lessa uses Galaxy Destroyer
191070 BD: 9. CRIT. 16 * 14 = 224 - 35 = 189
Lessa calls for a switch!

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 680/1500 | DMG: 200 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 [BLD 1/2]

Spoiler

[3]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 57/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[4]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 60/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Oscar uses Explode Catapult
191093 BD: 9. CRIT. 17 * 14 = 238 - 35 = 203
Oscar connects, Switch Successful. Hate values swap.

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 465/1500 | DMG: 250 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 [BLD 1/2] | ID: 191569 | BD: 6-3

Thankfully, whatever malfunction Oscar had been struggling with seemed to have disappeared. At Lessa's call for a Switch, Oscar surged forward and struck the boss with all of his strength. Ugzeke's health bar dropped lower - both from Oscar's attack and Lessa's Bleed effect. The Giant's skin had taken on a blood-red hue, the pair of them having triggered the brute's enrage ability. In its rage, Ugzeke flailed about wildly. While Oscar was sure that getting hit by one of the boulder-sized fists would surely hurt, the fact the attacks were flying about almost at random made him pretty confident that he wouldn't take it to the teeth. After all, as tall as he was, he only came up to about ankle-height. And who throws a punch at their ankles? 

Thus, Oscar was afforded a rare opportunity to analyze. Even though the boss was almost dead, Oscar couldn't help but think that he and Lessa should capitalize on their hard-won advantage. Anything could go wrong and it would serve them both well to be prepared for it. After a moment of thought, Oscar called back to Lessa. "You should go ahead and activate Parry, just in case. We're back on track now and we don't want it to go sideways again!"

Edited by Oscar
  • 1 month later...

The blonde stared up at Ugzeke's shrinking health bar. It had shifted from vibrant green to glaring yellow, a victory worth celebrating. It had come with far more work than Lessa had anticipated, but the series of successful hits reenergized her. If they could keep up the barrage, both striking like twin fists against the odorous ogre, he would fall in no time at all.

It was then that Oscar suggested she activate her Parry. The sliver of a smile that had tugged at Lessa's lips dropped away, and frustration welled inside her. Why stop the momentum now? Did he want to take the last hit, and all the glory? "But-" she began, rounding on her companion, words of anger dancing on her tongue. Then she fell silent The contemplative expression on his handsome face told her that he had a plan, and considering that his combat experience trumped hers, she swallowed the annoyance. With a curt nod, she obliged.

For the briefest moment, her entire body buzzed with electricity. Her form glowed faintly crimson, then returned to normal. Once the ability settled in, the buzzing disappeared, leaving a faint tingling and warmth in its wake. "Ready," she told Oscar.

Spoiler

[3]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 46/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[4]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 60/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Lessa uses Parry.

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 465/1500 | DMG: 250 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 [BLD 1/2] | ID: 191569 | BD: 6-3

Oscar's suggestion had been almost prophetic. He swung and missed his attack, successfully demolishing the hard-fought momentum they had earned for themselves thus far. Oscar clicked his tongue, his lips twisting into a deep scowl. Ugzeke let out a loud roar and brought his mighty club over his head before slamming it down towards the ground. An attack like that would have seriously hurt, if not for the fact that Oscar stood about ten feet away from the impact. "This is why I suggested Parry! You're probably gonna be back at the top of the hate list soon," Oscar called over to Lessa, half drowned out by the sound of rumbling earth and fracturing stone. Their collective asses were covered against whatever the hell was up with Oscar's aim today - and that was most important. With nothing else to do for the next few seconds, Oscar drove Chaos Eater's blade into the ground and leaned against the staff. "Batter up, Lessa!"

Spoiler

[3]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 46/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[4]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 58/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Oscar uses Explode Catapult [x14] -2 EN
ID: 196705 BD: 1, Miss

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 441/1500 | DMG: 250 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 [BLD 2/2] | ID: 196706| BD: 8-3, Miss | CD: 11, Miss

Edited by Oscar

Forced to bend her knees like a surfer, Lessa rode out the earth's trembling with half-way decent balance. As in, she didn't mop the floor with her face, which seemed to be her go-to when the ground started shaking. Fortunately, it appeared Oscar also managed to keep his feet. Even more importantly, he wasn't under that massive club when it crashed down.

"Makes sense," the Guardian answered, rolling her shoulders in preparation for her own attack. Their good luck continued when she landed her own hit, her heavy sword tearing a gash in the troll's leg. When her gaze shifted from the glaring crimson stripe to the mob's health bar, some of the joy slipped from her face. "Damn it," she growled through gritted teeth. "This asshole is built like a tank."

She shifted to face Oscar, motioned to Ugzeke with a quick flick of her wrist. "A few more hits," she declared. "We can do this."

Spoiler

[4]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 34/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[4]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 58/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Lessa uses Galaxy Destroyer [x13] -13 EN
ID: 196707 BD: 5+4=9. Hit.
16*13=208-35=173

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 268/1500 | DMG: 250 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 [BLD 2/2] 

The tremors continued well past the point where the System-induced cooldown period would have allowed Oscar to attack again. Thus, he didn't even try. Oscar didn't exactly feel the need to embarrass himself further by falling flat on his face like something foolish as he attempted to navigate the dark, craggy cave while the ground was busy doing its best rendition of the worm. He held his position, able to manage to keep himself on his feet with the aid of his weapon jutting out of the ground. The giant swung wildly, again missing Oscar and Lessa by a country mile. If he was going to be stuck playing cheerleader, then Oscar was going to be the best goddamned cheerleader this side of the Mississippi. "Hey Lessa! You're gonna have to be the badass here because I ain't got it. Remember, the pointy end goes into the monster! Two words, Lessa: Concentrate!~"

Spoiler

[4]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 34/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 

Oscar uses Explode Catapult vs Ugzeke [x14] -2 EN
ID: 196708 BD: 1, Miss

Ugzeke attack vs Oscar
ID: 196709 MD: 6-3, Miss

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 268/1500 | DMG: 250 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 

"Ah, shit," Lessa groaned. I don't want to be the badass. But saying so would seriously damage any cool factor she still had going for her. This wasn't even that bad of a boss. Chickening out would definitely be a bad decision. Besides, it wasn't as if Oscar hadn't saved her butt before. Thinking of that, she schooled her expression into one of exasperation. Even as she turned it on him, something mischievous flashed in her lake blue eyes. "Swear to god, Oscar," she called out, "if you continue to bring up the Sand Shark after this, I'll make sure everyone knows how much you struggled fighting $hrek here."

I'm getting tired. The sudden realization came as Lessa plowed her massive sword into the ogre's gut, and her flashing energy bar confirmed it. Pouring the last of her energy into the strike, she nearly toppled backward. "I'm running on fumes," she informed her partner. "I only figure I have one more of those in me. You've got to finish him off."

Spoiler

[6]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 22/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[4]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 58/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Lessa uses Galaxy Destroyer vs Ugzeke [x13] -13 EN
ID: 196711 BD: 10 SUPER CRIT.
16*15=240-35=205

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 63/1500 | DMG: 250 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 

Without saying a word, Oscar ripped his weapon from the ground and took aim at the massive creature. He cocked back his arm, tracking the giant's lumbering movements like a trained sniper. Then, as the beast staggered about, he let his weapon fly. Like a tomahawk, the axe spun through the air and buried itself deep into Ugzeke's face, right between the eyes. Oscar had learned quickly that attacking the swole legs of the giant was foolish, especially with it raging as hard as it was. Dark ichor oozed from the wound as cracks began to spiderweb across its form. The crack's widened and the giant shattered. His weapon spun down towards the earth, the blade burying itself in the stone as fractals cascaded all around it. Oscar produced an item from his pocket and brought it to his lips. The loud blaring of a kazoo filled the cave.

"We did it and none of us died! Good hustle!"

Spoiler

[6]Lessa HP: 556/950 | EN: 22/92 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 89 | THN: 36 | 1 HM | 24 BLD [BD9+] 
[4]Oscar HP: 980/980 | EN: 44/96 | DMG: 16 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 3 | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [BD8+]

Oscar uses Explode Catapult [x14] -16 EN
ID: 196712, Deal 189 DMG

Ugzeke, the Mighty HP: 0/1500 | DMG: 250 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 35 

Thread Summary
Oscar - 3200 EXP, 2900 Col, Troll's Blood
Lessa - 3200 EXP, 2900 Col, Troll's Blood