[SP-F8] «Ferocious Foe» Mulch.

Scattered rays of light pierced through the dense canopy of the eighth floors forests, autumn stained leaves littered the ground on the trampled paths made by the common travels of players who frequented Friben village. Life followed this common path, repeating what many others before him had already. But apart from the rush of players hoping to scrounge the remains of available exp from the limited mobs on this floor, Life had made it his home away from home. The petrichor emanating from trees roots helped ease his mind, his time spent on this floor made many things clear to him that he struggled grasping in the past. Who he was, his relationships with other players, his purpose; It wasn't so complicated after all. When he wasn't deliberating on his past misdeeds he'd find somewhere to sleep in a hollow moss filled log, or an uncomfortable tree branch in the upper canopies. Peace came to him when he no longer reached to take it. He would do better by others. After all, everyone was in the same boat, even if some just preferred to swim. It had felt that he was in the ocean somewhere beyond the sea, drowning without a life line, endlessly drifting until the water filled his lungs and began to sink; Closing his eyes to accept his fate only to open them and find himself here again, back in Aincrad. 

Life cast his narrowed gaze towards his palms wondering if he was truly alive, or if he had died out at sea. What was his name? Eric? He knew now. "I am.." So he said. 

A muffled grinding accompanied his steps, depressing the leaf litter into the dirt, making his way toward the village. He had not been completely oblivious in his time in the woods. On numerous occasions had he noticed a rather larger than average bear making its way through the woods causing minor havoc towards players and the like. Overhearing other players discussing hunting the beast down for a reward. A new quest he hadn't taken before would be a right step in a new direction. A path forward. 

Stats: 11 Damage | 2 Accuracy | 2 Evasion | 2 Light momentum | 8 Mitigation | 480 HP | 48 Energy

Edited by Life

Life whisked his way into the village looking for the quest giver. I'm sure I saw the other players coming this way earlier. The sky began to darken as clouds covered what light sources were provided this far down. From the shadows a hand shot out and covered Life's mouth, pulling him head first into a grubby alleyway. "Shhhh. Don't make a sound, I ain't gonna hurt ya." Life tried to make out the figure from the corner of his eyes, he couldn't tell if this was some kind of NPC or a player. He tapped the persons hand to let him know he'd cooperate, and it then loosened. Upon turning around his gaze met a the stature of a small fellow with a scraggly beard, covered in muddied hooded cloak. "I know who you are sir. I have something for you." The man reached out from his cloak handing him a crumpled letter. "Well, that'll be all. Watch your back sir. Nothing is as it seems anymore." Life took the letter, puzzled by the random encounter. Life looked down at the letter trying to make out its contents with little luck from the creases, he looked back up and found the figure to be gone. Life looked back down at the letter trying to make out the words. 'Golden eyes and silver skies --------------. Look for the signs.' Was all he could make out. "What a confusing piece of junk... still. I can't shake this feeling..." 

Life shook his head, and reaffirmed his gaze back onto the trampled path. I mustn't misguide myself any longer. Life continued until he stumbled across the villages inn, the smell of ale and smoked meats was palpable. He had spent so much time isolated that he forgot the smell of food and drink. He pushed the door open and passed through letting it creak close behind him and began scouring the room for NPCs. They never really did stay in one place. 

Life sat at the bar and ordered himself just a cup of water as he eavesdropped on the conversations around him. 

"I got these new crystals from a---" One voice spoke. "Yeah I took down that snow guy all by myself it was a piec-----" No that's not it...

"Did you hear about the most recent bear attack, happened just three hours ago northwest of the village." A feminine voice spoke from across the bar. Bingo. The male company she kept replied "Yeah its been getting much too aggressive these days, someones gotta do something about it or we'll never get a load of goods in or out of here again." Northwest huh..

Life downed the rest of his water and slid off the bar stool. Another mob to slay, things weren't really so different.

Life headed out in a northwesterly direction as pointed out by the NPC's at the bar. He looked for anything that resembled what they had mentioned of a bear attack along the trade routes out of the village. It wasn't long before he found what they were talking about, a wagon laid wrecked and ravaged, scavenged of whatever goods were trying to be transported. Bear claws for sure. He was on the right track. 

The forest began to change, it became denser and more lush with greenery and the sound of the floors famous triplet river could be heard running in the distance. How dangerous could a bear be anyway? 

A low grumbling came from behind him, Life turned his attention towards the sound that now overshadowed the flowing rivers. A much larger than average bear, much larger than he had expected bear, came slowly stomping towards him. It's big, but I've taken bigger. While he was excited, a hint of fear also came over him. "Alright then. Come."

Spoiler

ID:137099 LD: 16 Bear is found.

Edited by Life

"Alright, lets shake off this rust." Life steadied his hand over his blade as he watched the beast creep closer and closer, steadily building its speed and momentum charging towards Life. Life wasn't sure if it was the correct move to start off with a high tier sword art after so much time, but if he was to get back into the game he'd have to see just how rusty he'd become. As the bear came within combat distance a green bar began to fill above its head. <<Kumatetsu>>. Life noticed his health bar too, level 24? Was this really where I left off? His arms felt stiff as he attempted to draw his sword for his Iai, no glow, no animation, something was off. Kumatetsu was now in striking range, its large paws toward above Life's head, Life's eyes widened Move! He managed to shuffle his feet just in time to shift his body weight enough to narrowly avoid the bears claws. "That was too close" Its not over keep moving.

Life:
HP: 480
Energy: 46/48 (-2 failed attack) 

Kumatetsu: 
HP:300 

Spoiler

Life - ID# 137100 results: BD: 2 +2-2=2
Kumatetsu - ID# 137101 results: MD: 2+1-2=1

Life attempted to catch himself as his footing slipped beneath him, something that wasn't like him at all. Falling to the ground life looked up at the creature as it reared back for another swipe. It bore its entire weight down onto him as Life took up his katana to block the attack. The power of the beast crushed his guard and pummeled his chest, feeling its weight crushing his ribs. "What a monstrosity." This is what I get for not being full prepared. Life rolled to the side as it came at him again with another swipe just managing to avoid danger. "Well I can't say I've exactly missed this feeling." The pain wasn't issue as much as the panic was. Slowly creeping in he still didn't know how strong this beast was, and yet here he was, stupidly risking his life to take it down. But he had to do this. He had to triumph here, or he couldn't go back out into the rest of the world. He had to prove it to himself, that he still had what it took to make it out of this game alive, to help everyone get out of here alive.

Life:
Hp: 413/480 (480 - 75+8)
Energy: 45/48 (-2 failed attack +1 regen)

Kumatetsu:
HP: 300

Spoiler

Kumatetsu - ID: 137103 MD:10-2+1=9
Life - ID: 137102 BD: 1+2+2-2=3

He had to treat this battle with way more caution then he had before. His life very much so depended on it. The bear came at him again swiping towards the left side of his abdomen, Life rolled backwards and using his hand to propel him upwards as he did causing the beast to narrowly miss yet again. Life regained his footing and took advantage of the opening This time for sure. Reaching once again for his katana, in one swift motion Life lunged forward with his blade, cutting clean though the side of the beast from his shoulder to its thigh causing the bear to collapsed under its own weight. A momentary smile accompanied the thud of the beast against the mulch. Life had a prime opening now and he couldn't make every attack count. "Kumatetsu... you will be one of the monsters that I shall remember many years from now. I hate to say this isn't about you or your actions. This is about me. Forgive my selfishness." 

Life:
HP: 413/480
Energy: 32/48 (-14 Iai +1 regen) 

Kumatetsu:
HP: 229/300 (121-50=71) Stunned

Spoiler

Life -  ID# 137104 results: BD: 8-2+2+2=10 

Life exhaled deeply, letting the air escape his lungs. His arms moved in large arcs, warming his wrist and joints and his katana followed the guided motions. "Yes, this feels familiar... this feels right." His blade began to glow as his inputted motion commands signaled the beginning of his strongest move san ge the beast still struggled to move after his successful Iai. "There's no escape from this one Kumatetsu. You will be taking every lash of this blade." Life stepped forwards, allowing a diagonal slice to come across the bears ribs followed by a quick follow up creating a cross chop signalling the beginning of the end. Multiple much faster strikes followed each cutting deeper into the large beasts pelt finishing with the final vertical straight. Life watched its health bar dropped down to a blood orange colour, he was close, the beast would not be able to take another attack like that. Victory was in sight. 

As Kumatatsu's health settled its eyes began to glow red and the forest went dark, the forests canopy had began to close in around them as if it say this is your final test, prepare yourself. Life took the hint and dashed back to gain some more distance between the two. The bear pushed itself up on its hind legs and let out a ferocious roar. "So this is your true form."

Life:
Energy: 18/48 (-15 sange +1 regen)

Kumatetsu:
HP: 114/300 (165-50= 115 damage) 

Enraged ^Damage v Mitigation v Accuracy

Spoiler

Life - ID# 137105 BD: 8+2-2=8
Kumatetsu - ID# 137106 MD: 1+1-2=0

Kumatetsu was ferocious and wild, much faster than he was before. Life had no doubt in his mind that if he took a hit from the beast as it was now he would be in big trouble and he wasn't about to test that theory and find out. The bear came at him with a strategic and methodical mixture of swipes and bites, it was almost as if it were trying to fight him with martial arts. The battle had being going on for quiet some time now and Life was beginning to regain his muscle memory Not back to how I was yet... but closer He felt his eyes lay dead no longer paying attention to the beast directly, Deeper. Life's body began to sway, reading the attack pattern of the mob and easily dodging each attack as it came, his blade began to glow once again. "San Ge."  It was almost a split second that had passed and multiple cuts appeared upon the beasts torso as it reared back for another blow. Life sheathed his blade and allowed the beasts health to drop to 0, along with its body. "Thank you for the battle. Kuma." Life turned away from its body as it dematieralised into fragments of white and gold, heading back down the beaten path towards the village, and to collect his reward. 

Life:
Energy: 4/48 (-15 sange +1 regen)

Kumatetsu:
HP: -1/300 (165-50= 115 damage)

Spoiler

Life - ID# 137109 BD: 7+2-2=7 

Life set back off onto the path he was on before towards the village, the wagon that had been torn to shreds earlier had no vanished, similarly to the beast just slain. These quests are all the same, no impact on the actual world It wasn't a glorious return, there were no fireworks or flashing lights, just a subtlety fading kaleidoscope of particles, and he was fine with that. As Life got closer towards the village the forest became sparser until he arrived at the gates.

"So which one of you was looking for someone to kill the bear?" An elderly NPC came out of a wooden hut nearby. "Well that would be me sonny, the village elder. Can you help us?" Life smirked "Already did." He pulled out a claw from his inventory he received as proof upon slaying Kumatetsu. The elder took it as proof and nodded "Well thank goodness then, we can begin to rest easy again, I feel bad that it had to come to this but that bear was growing more violent by the day, you did us all a favor." Life sighed, he disliked the formalities, it was the reason he didn't come to the elder in the first place, this way there was less talking. "Your reward for a job well done." The elder handed him a bag with 2,000 col followed by a small statue. "Take this totem as a token of the villages thanks. I'm sure it will serve you well." Life bowed at the elder and took the items, a flash of pixels wavered around him as the quest was deemed complete, his exp had shot way up and ticked him over to level 25. "Wait.. that can't be right, that was way faster than I anticipated." Right.. something was different but he didn't know what. "No matter, I won't complain." 

It was growing dark as the sun set and clouds wafted peacefully over the moons light, the sounds of wildlife gradually toned down and he wondered what he was to do next. This small scuffle marked his return, but it didn't exactly mark his stay. He had to keep going, keep moving forward, keep growing strong. Once he was powerful enough to do that, he would tear down the floor bosses, piece by piece. That's right... my father and friends, everyone I loved is waiting for me back home. I have to persevere for them. Life wondered just how much longer they had left in this forsaken game, surely they were vegetables at this point, their time was running out slowly. 

Life made his way back into the towns Inn and sat contemplating. He had quiet a lot of excitement for one day considering he had spent 2 years secluded in the forests. Just watching the influx of players going in and out of the Inn was exhausting, talking about col and items and quests and experience, it was just so much for him Better get used to it. 

Life was about to call it a night and find a log to sleep in when suddenly a tall tanned woman wearing various different plants are clothes burst in through the front doors of the Inn. "Someone please, anyone you have to help!" Life examined the women closer, Tch, just an NPC. "A beast is burning down our homes on the sixth floor couldn't one of you adventurers come help us?" A bunch of keen players instantly jumped to the woman's side "Of course fair amazoness, I shall aid you in your perils" One player said. "You can count on me to save your people!" Another remarked. 

Life stood up and rolled his eyes, it was free exp so how could he turn it down. "Quest accepted." He bluntly stated before walking past the drama queens and pushing the doors open making his way out from the establishment. First he'd find a place to rest for the night. Then he'd begin to make his way below. 

Edited by Life

A few hours deep into the forest Life found a familiar log, a large and hollowed out tree that grew moss and provided sufficient shelter from the elements outside. It wasn't like a bit of rain could hurt him, or that he could even get sick. It just felt nicer to feel protected then just sleeping out in the open, the place was quiet enough.. there were no mobs so it didn't attract players, and the were no NPCs either. The only signs of 'life' that could be seen this deep were potential creatures to be killed and turned into food. Most of the other gatherable materials were useless and inedible, not that he particularly cared for making a living like some other players. It just seemed like a huge waste of time to spend all day gathering materials in hopes that the next few times you try to ding out an item it'd be good enough to sell. Nuh-uh someone else could have the pleasures of trying to fill out order after order. 

That night Life would dream. He we would dream that he was back at sea, the same dream that had every night. Drowning. Sinking. Unable to move. Unable to breathe. Opening his eyes once again to see daylight. Life inhaled deeply and exhaled sharply as he got up, whacking his head against the roof of the log he laid in completely forgetting where he had fallen asleep. "Ugh..." Life rubbed his head to ease some of the pain. He crawled out as the sun rose and straightened his posture. So then today is the day then. The day I return back into Aincrad, the players need me back on the front line. 

"Help! Someone please help me!" A voiced called out from the distance. Life turned his head around to see what the cause of the commotion was, he wasn't expecting anyone out this far into the jungle. "What in the world." 

Life followed the sound of the pleading and found a young boy surrounded by wolves, a pack of five be precise. He had seen these wolfs roaming around the forest before, always looking hungry, but never picked on players above their weight class. This young boy, was it a player? Life looked over at his face, a face of innocence, in complete terror. Life spoke to him, his voice soft and deep "Do you require assistance, boy?" Life looked under the lads health bar, No NPC tag huh? 

The boy cried out to him "Please mister, I don't want to die. They all have dark red markers, I can't beat the all at once!" Life looked above the heads of the wolves, for him, they were light pink. "Very well. Close your eyes." Life reach down to his katana and lowered his stance. The faintly visible metal that peaked from the katanas scabbard hummed blue as Life activated Amatsu no Homura. Life struck one of the wolves with his blade, killing it instantly, apparently that was enough of a deterrent to scare the rest of them off. Life sheathed his weapon as he stood in front of the boy who coward beneath him, extending a hand out to him. "Fear no longer... what is your name?" 

Life - 
HP:480/480
Energy: 33/48 (8-2-2-2-2)

-Life uses Amatsu no Homura (11*8= 88 Damage AOE)

Wolf Pack:
#1: -8/80

Spoiler

Life: ID# 137147 BD: 5+2=7

Edited by Life

The boy nervously took his hand, still shaken up by what had happened. "What is a kid like you doing all the way up on the eighth floor. You should know its dangerous for your level, let alone your in an area that's completely secluded from anything useful. You could have seriously died, for real. Did you forget about that detail?" The boy shut his eyes and looked away, refusing to answer him. That kind of ticked Life off, someone with no regard to their Life wasn't helpful at all to everyone situation. "Well, kid. What are you doing out here?"  The boy took a moment before he seemed to calm down a little, at least stopped shaking. "My name is Jeff. I'm.. looking for my sister. She was on my friends list, and then one day she told me that she was going up to the higher floors... and then... her name was gone..." 

Life's face stiffened "Right.." Well that would explain the complete disregard for his own safety. "Well kid, the one thing I can recommend doing is getting stronger. If you're not willing to ask others for help, then become strong enough to require none. What you did was foolish and who knows. Maybe your sister is alive, we don't know the circumstances. But if she found out you were dead. Then how would she feel? How would you feel if it were you? Probably something like you did now. Don't be a fool."

The kid bit his bottom lip and shoved himself back up onto his feet. "Fine. I'm going back then. And ill show you whos strong." The kid walked past him, shouldering his hips as he walked by. It'd have been intimidating if Life weren't twice his height. The old Life would have let the kid go to his own devices, but he had a new found concern for those around him that weren't his business. Life turned round and grabbed hold of the kids shoulder. "Where do you think you're going squirt. Do you even know how to use a sword." The kid turned to face him yelled. "Of course I do!" Life smirked in response "So show me." The kid quickly opened his inventory and pulled out a one handed curved sword and began to waggle it around like it were some kind of light saber. "Yeah no that isn't going to cut it im afraid. If you want to get stronger, come with me." Life turned away and headed back onto the main path that lead towards the teleporter, he was on his way to floor six after all, but that didn't mean he couldn't stop and help a player out.

The boy probably would have ignored Life if he hadn't just saved him and showed him that he could handle multiple mobs stronger than he in a single swoop. It seemed he was finally getting through to the child and they could begin his training. Life and the boy were now just a few minutes away from the teleporter in a subtly secluded part of the forest. Life ran his fingers through his black blue fringe, putting it to one side away from his face. "Now the first thing you need to understand about this game is that its a mmorpg that revolves entire around you ability to use this." Life let his kimono slide off from one side to give his right arm move freedom of movement, reaching down towards his katana he activated his Han'ei sword art, demonstrating the bursting power that sword arts could provide. "Sword arts are the name sake of this game. Learn to master them and you've begun to master the game. No skill is actually required to use them, but using them in the heat of battle requires skill. I used to use a curved sword too when I first started, lets see if you can use rage blow... take your blade and cross it over your body as if you were gearing up to let out a big backhand. Then let the game do the rest." 

The kid followed his instruction, and without fail his curved sword began to glow orange before exploding into a powerful single strike. The look of awe in the boys eyes was cute, it was like how he first felt when learnt how to use them. Blissful innocence, ignorant of the world that waited for him. Life debated if it was worth gearing him up for the world out there, but again, it was for his own good. Life sighed. "Alright thats enough of that. You know how to use a sword art, but do you know how to use a sword art?" The kid looked at him confused. "You're going to come at me with the intent to kill, and I'm going to show you the second lesson. Sword arts aren't actually the most important aspect to this game." The kid scoffed since Life had just told him that he mastered the game for using the sword art. Of course that was the intention, he was teaching him a fast tracked lesson that every dead player taught him the hard way. 

The kid charged at him with his curved sword, surprisingly being able to string together a good mix of regular strikes and rage blows. But of course Life was much faster than him, and easily avoided each attack without even having to use his blade to parry his strikes. The kid began to become frustrated, becoming more wild and aggressive with his attacks until.

*trip*

*splat*

Life tripped him over when he was being careless and fell straight onto the ground. Life held the edge of his katana at the boys head. "Lesson two. If you can't be hit, you don't take damage. Lesson three, if you only focus on attacking you leave yourself open to counters. Disregard both and you'll end up dead faster than the guys that threw themselves off the side off Aincrad. You will never know what a monster is capable of, ever. Even if you've killed hundreds of them before. You only have one life, and this game is designed to take it. You want to make to the end? Focus on staying alive first." The kids ego seemed to be hurt so bad he began to cry, most likely due to a mixture of his failure and his frustration that he was too weak to save his sister. Life put his katana away and squatted beside the boy. "Lesson three. Probably the most important lesson..." Life pointed two fingers towards his left temple. "This game will destroy you mentally. You must train your heart and mind to be stronger than any weapon you wield, or you'll crumble like a pillar of sand. You must hold onto your reason for fighting with your life, or risk losing it. And if that reason become lost, find something else to fight for as soon as you can, or risk losing yourself to the void." 

Life stood and looked around the vicinity, noticing a glimmer in the distance. "And oh yea, one more thing. Always keep an eye out for loot. Observe." Life walked over towards the glimmering light, a hint of silver sticking out from a tree strangled by vines. Life took out his katana and began cutting down the vines one by one to slowly reveal a chest, it seemed the tree had been growing around it. Life used his strength to pull it free as it landed on the ground. The boy followed with curiosity, eager to find out what was inside. "Now, there's always a chance these things are booby trapped, so you gotta be careful when opening them. Not everything is as it seems. Your party could go for a chest and find themselves surrounded by unkillable monsters. Always be weary. That said..." Life knelt down to open the chest.

-Treasure chest found

Spoiler

Life - ID# 137177 results: LD: 18 Treasure chest found.

Edited by Life