[F1|PP] Sweet Scents?<<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>

With her items equipped now, she walked over to the corpse and did her best to hope that fortune was on her side. It seemed like her luck was only running dry at this point though, because two tries and nothing was there. Still having not found her necessary item, the would have to kill another set of enemies to try for the item again. Yuki groaned in frustration and looked up at Hinatao.

"It seems like I'm having some trouble getting it to drop. We'll have to fight another group of those plants. We can't turn in the quest without that item that the big one drops." She says standing back up and opening her menu again to re-equip her weapon and shield. It wouldn't take long to kill another batch of these enemies. Hopefully the next group would yield a better result so she could cash in on the experience she desperately needed.

image.thumb.png.f964b87dffe8291b37b68010debc4b98.png

Edited by Zajcica
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hinatao sighed. “Figures,” she said. “For my first quest this is giving me a lot of insight into how annoying these quests can be. I hope that the next time around I get some better luck. But you got that item to help you get the drops and I don’t have anything like that.” She was more or less just mumbling to herself but after a moment she snapped out of it. “But we will get it eventually! Not giving up on my ened… who knows I might even hit it this time! She readied up to attack again, not really caring if she would miss but she had to get herself pumped up for battle or this would get boring quick. “I’ll try to hit it again. It felt good to land my first hit!” Then she just stood around waiting for the enemies to spawn only to say, “nevermind, I forgot that you let the first wave kill themselves first. I won’t attack!”

Spoiler

Yuki switched her rings with her weapon and shield.

Once her inspection was done, the girl opened her menu to ready her battle-ready inventory once again. Three times she would have to murder these things just to get them to drop some stupid bulb from their plants that is supposed to smell good in a perfume or something. Ugh, just the thought of the smell of perfume made Yuki's nose twitch with displeasure. The weapon and shield reappeared in her hands and she turned her head towards her charge.

"Oi, the next batch of enemies is coming soon. You know the rules: Let me aggro them first then you are free to hit them." The point was probably getting nailed into Hinatao's head a little too much, but Yuki wouldn't know what to do if she wasn't able to protect a single person. She was starting to see why Mari was getting so annoyed with her actions when she helped her with the familiar quest.

Edited by Zajcica

Hinatao looked about, wondering if the snakes would spawn soon or not. Unsurprisingly they did after enough time had passed. It was just a matter of sitting back and keeping her guard up. When they did spawn she just watched them. Their eyes darted between her and Yuki, wondering who would cause the first hit. Hinatao wondered if it was possible to time out by not making a decision fast enough. These kinds of thoughts tended to enter her mind when she had nothing to do but wait. But that’s what a lot of games were like, just waiting and waiting. But unlike the other rounds, she didn’t feel as much adrenaline. It was like combat itself was already losing its touch that it had on her. Without excitement, would she really be doing these quests in the future? She kicked the grass in anticipation, just waiting for something to happen.

The Nepents appeared from thin air in front of Yuki and her new friend. An air of confidence had washed over her, seeing as how she had already done this song and dance twice. It was dangerous for the lower level player, but it was like Shield had told her in the cave. Having a feeling of confidence helps others feel safe and do their job better. If she kept her cool and did what she needed to as a good tank player, then nothing would happen to Hinatao.

The group of four rushed into their inevitable demise. Yuki's beautiful lance glowed pink once more, leaving strokes of afterimages with every swing. Three of the Nepents fall to her onslaught, but the last one was determined to see his friends avenged. It's vines lashed out to whip the pink haired assailant to no avail. Yuki turned her head to Hinatao.

"Go ahead and give it a shot!"

Nepent 1 - HP 7/7 Dmg: 3
Nepent 2 - HP 0/7 -20+12 Dmg: 3
Nepent 3 - HP 0/7 -12+12 Dmg: 3
Nepent 4 - HP 0/7 -12+12 Dmg: 3

image.thumb.png.a9d28c4154c6cdbb8041328c17060f92.png

Edited by Zajcica

She bowed to Yuki out of respect and accepted her command. Having nothing to lose and no fear of these nepents anymore Hinatao rushed at the remaining nepent and slashed at it with her dagger. She knew by now that her damage was insignificant to killing this thing and it would probably take half an hour of exchanging turns. She was truly lucky that Yuki was here with her. She missed, but at least she had confidence that the nepent would die soon. She hopped back and looked at Yuki. “I guess I should be rooting for the nepent to hit you then,” she commented as this whole combat system started to make sense to her. Assuming the remaning nepent would meet its demise soon she stood back and waited for something to happen. It was actually starting to seem like a game and not just some life threatening experience.

missed
ID# 140508 results:

Battle: 4

Craft: 5

Loot: 15

MOB: 9

Edited by Hinatao

Yuki watched Hinatao strike out with her blade, not even using a sword art to amplify the damage. Though it was unfair to blame her for that when she didn't know that investing into weapon skill early was how you dealt most your damage. The blade scraped nothing but the air as the nepent moved out of the way. Yuki gave the girl a smile.

"Nice movement, you're getting the hang of this pretty quick!" Yuki said walking up to the over-grown plant and readying her lance. The pink hue embedded itself around the weapon again. The streaks of pink scarred the air as she stabbed the lance into her foe several times. It fell over lifeless.

"Here comes the boss again." She said as if it was a routine at this point. The Nepent Variant respawned, it ovule could be smelled from where she was standing. It smelled as awful as it did the first two times.

image.thumb.png.491f3a714cf8d193da9230b3b78efb44.png

Nepent 1 - HP 0/7 -12+12 Dmg: 3

Edited by Zajcica

“Heh, thanks for that,” she shouted back. She did feel like she was getting used to these things movements. She thought of whether natural skill came into play for this kind of scenario or if it was really just down to luck as you never knew what you were going to run into. “I’d wish you luck but it looks like you literally can’t fail,” she’d continue and then she grinned. All they had to hope for was some luck to get out of this thing with their sanity in tact. Everything else was pretty simple and straightforward, no risks really. She saw the big baddie standing there and decided not to try hitting it for now. She would run around to its rear where it couldn’t even see her let alone unleash its rage on her. She was testing out her mobility for the most part. There seemed to be a limit to how fast she could do while focusing on other things.

The Nepent Variant had re-spawned and was looking to kill the duo of girls this time. Though this one was probably a new one to the last two but it was still funy to think that this was the same one that was just annoyed at seeing Yuki's smug smile and pink hair.

The girl reared her shield back to protect her from the onslaught of vines that lashed her relentlessly. Thorns wouldn't activate off that, so she readied another sword art. The lance again taking it's pink hue pierced the enemies defenses causing it to exploded into nothing but little blue polygons once again. With it defeated, she opened her menu once again to equip the rings that boosted her luck. It was just getting annoying at this point, but she needed all the luck she could get.

"Welp, you know what they say: Third times the charm, right?" The paladin smiled at the sneaky dagger user.

image.thumb.png.983e84cd0fd20268e7d52fe36f6bb89c.png

Nepent Variant: 0/15 HP; Damage 10

Yuki: HP:  380/380 Energy: 24/38 Hate: 0
Hina: HP:  20/20 Energy: 2/2  Hate: 0

Edited by Zajcica

“I certainly hope you’re right about that,” she said from the back when the strange creature was struck. She hadn’t had much luck as she was out here to begin with in a game of life that she couldn’t escape. She really was owed some luck by the universe if she thought about it. Although with all the things that had happened to her she wouldn’t be surprised if she had another run of bad luck at finding what she needed to. She crossed her fingers as she ran around and did her best to get a good view of what was happening. She often found that running helped her burn off some of her nerves and that’s exactly what she had right now. She was almost jittering with excitement now and was so eager to see what the outcome would be. She had a feeling that anyone would feel this way in her situation.

Yuki finished moving her equipment around. The lance and shield she was carrying disappeared into the ether and the rings appeared around her fingers. She still remembers how she got these silly rings from some random guy on the street, then later she had him make her lance for her. It was just so random how had shoved them to her without even trading them.

Nevertheless, she had to get this drop this time. The game couldn't be that mean to her could it? Just thinking that reminded her of fighting the Amphis Serpens. Although, to be fair, she should have gone into that quest with better sustain and damage to kill it rather than try to rush herself and die in the process. The paladin approached the loot drop that had been laying on the ground for them to inspect. If she didn't find anything in this one, she would have to fight all those mobs again... for the fourth time. Hopefully she could just get it to spawn this time around.

Spoiler

Yuki switched her weapon and shield out for rings again.

As she watched her teammate changing her equipment she couldn’t help but ask, “So does swapping out really work out in the end? Like does it save time instead of just attacking more or something? Sorry, I don’t really know what I’m talking about, just trying to learn a thing or two.” She knew that soon she would have to start upgrading her equipment and getting some stuff. Yuki was the closest thing she had to a teacher in this game so far which was kind of sad if she was honest with herself.

It wasn’t like when she was at home as a small child who had never spent more than a few days apart from her parents since she was conceived, and her parents’ attachment to her only grew every day they spent time together. She wished she told them more about how she felt but she couldn’t exactly do that now could she

Yuki crouched down and started to open the loot box as she responded to Hinatao. "Well, since I can only have three items equipped at once, I have to switch out my weapon and shield to get the bonuses from my rings that increase my luck. I think if I fail this time again, I'll not equip my shield. I can just leave one ring on for the bonus and not have to make anymore switches." And it looks like they would be fighting more of the stupid plants. The paladin sighed and looked up to the other girl. "Round 4 is about to start soon, just let me equip my lance and we'll fight the next batch of them. Man does my luck suck."

The girl opened her menu again to search from the lance. This time she would just equip her lance. The enemies couldn't do more damage than her mitigation as long as she wore her armor anyway.

image.thumb.png.1dcbe676f507ced83a51f8ec221adaf4.png

LD: 7+3=10; fail

Edited by Zajcica

The excitement died down again. Whoever the creator was really had a knack for getting people’s hopes up and then dashing them. It was addictive, like a rush of drugs if it really could be compared to that. “Next time,” she said sorrily even though she knew that it wasn’t anything to do with anyone involved. It was just bad luck when it came down to it. She did feel a little like she wanted to do something, anything to make the situation better but not much came to mind. She knew that telling someone her feelings would be a drop in the pool of difficulty in comparison to actually making something of her life, but her stomach still tied itself into very convoluted and complicated knots at the thought of leaving her emotional comfort zone at this point in her life. She remained silent as she observed what would happen next, eager for things to turn out right.

The paladin sorted through her menu and found the lance way at the bottom of her inventory. She removed the ring that gave the lowest bonus to her luck and replaced it with her lance. Thankfully, she wouldn't be switching her equipment anymore. It took up to much time to do between fights and it would hurry this process along. These enemies were hardly giving any experience for killing them too, which was annoying. It wouldn't be so bad to fight them over and over again if they dropped a good sum of col or experience to compliment the number of times she'd had to kill them.

"I apologize for keeping us here than need be. If only I could get this drop. It's much more rare than I had expected it to be. Hopefully the fourth time is my charm rather than the third. The pink haired paladin apologized, just as the new mobs spawned.

Spoiler

Yuki switched her lance for her +1 LD ring.

“Three equipment, hmm didn’t know that. I’ll keep that in mind when I go shopping. I guess being limited makes you have to weigh which thing to wear. I once played a game where you could swap every imaginable piece of equipment and that really wasn’t fun having to manage that much equipment. Maybe this system isn’t so bad afterall. So what's the most times you've failed a drop before? What should I be looking forward to haha?”

She didn’t want to comment on the luck. Maybe if she stopped talking about it and thinking about it they’d stop jinxing each other. Or maybe she was just out of options and was floundering for something to blame other than the game that they were in. She readied up and watched intently as Yuki did her preparations and readied to fight the new set of enemies that would be spawning any second now. This time Hinatao didn’t even stand too far away. She stood close enough to be considered a decent newbie.

Yuki readied her weapon. It felt weird to not have her hand occupied with a shield, but at the same time, she felt faster and more nimble for it. The grip on her lance grew tighter as she rushed the group of enemies, swinging the sharp, golden edge at them with ferocity. The difference in weight must have threw her off a bit however as she missed every single swing. Thankfully, she at least had gotten their attention.

The Nepents all attacked her. She stood there and let time strike her while she spoke. "Well, normally I have pretty good luck with things like finding materials and such, but combat is when I usually have the worst luck. That's why you see my top to bottom in armor. Without it, I'd surely die." The girl admitted. Two of the mobs died to her thorns, yet two still remained. "Take your shot then."

image.thumb.png.449154bab4d679b753b74cbc60668941.png

Nepent 1 - HP 7/7 Dmg: 3
Nepent 2 - HP 7/7 Dmg: 3
Nepent 3 - HP 0/7 -18 Dmg: 3
Nepent 4 - HP 0/7 -18 Dmg: 3

Yuki: HP:  378/380 Energy: 28/38 Hate: 0

Edited by Zajcica

“No need to feel bad or anything. I’m just along for the ride. It’s a little disheartening to know that things can get this bad, especially if you think that you’ll get what you need quickly. I wonder what someone would do if they weren’t as fortunate as us… it would be like walking slowly into your own death. Actually, I don’t want to think about that. I’m almost certain it happens now and then.” She shook her head and ran forwards, taking a slash at nepent 1 only to miss. She stopped and rubbed her hands through her hair while thinking of anything else except morbid thoughts. She was not in the mood anymore to be having negative thoughts. “Think positive,” she mumbled to herself while turning her attention back to the enemy at hand. It came up just as the girl was done playing with her equipment and she was quick to let it taste her wrath. “You’ve got to keep positive if you’re ever going to succeed like her.”

ID    Battle    Craft    Loot    MOB    Character    Link    Purpose    Time
140537    4    3    17    3    Hinatao        attacking nepent 1    2020-04-10 20:19:37

Edited by Hinatao

The girl braced herself for the next attack she was about to make. The giant, somehow one-handed lance, glowed with it's pink color once again. Her slashes came out quicker than before since she wasn't weighed down by the heavy shield she was carrying. Next time she went to the blacksmith, maybe she should just get a lighter weight shield to help with her movement. The two remaining Nepent's exploded into data, just a mist of blue polygons. With their death came the boss again, and its awful smell. Kill it quick before she threw up, that's what she needed to do.

Yuki nodded to her ally, reminding her that she would make the first attack on it and stood toe to toe with the giant plant monster. If she didn't get the drop on this time around, she was going to start pulling her hair out. They had warned her that MMO's were notorious for these drop rates. Hopefully after four times, the game would throw her a bone.

image.thumb.png.44fa6132b5cdb8eb47a2370ab42276d3.png

Nepent 1 - HP 0/7 -20+12 Dmg: 3
Nepent 2 - HP 0/7 -20+12 Dmg: 3

Yuki: HP:  378/380 Energy: 24/38 Hate: 0

Edited by Zajcica

“So is there a way to have them garuntee to hit you then?” she asked, curious as to the nature of her armor. She herself wanted to get as much speedy reflexes as she could so she could dodge more often. But if she had armor that caused damage to her opponents then she probably would want to get hit instead of the contrary. “Yea, I mean we’re all pretty unlucky to be stuck here. This is just adding insult to injury.” She could see her parent’s face in her mind, frowning intensely with tears welling in their eyes at the thought of their child going through this hardship. They were drama queens at times so she wasn't convinced they even could spend that many days away from her without breaking down in some way. Her heart ached just considering it. Well, now was no time to get obsessed with her family. She had a goal to focus on.