SKILLS

NON-COMBAT SKILLS
» EXTENDED MOD LIMIT R1

PASSIVE
      ALLOWS FOR THE USE ONE 1 ADDITIONAL MOD

COMBAT SKILLS
» PARRY

POST ACTION
      REDUCE FINAL DAMAGE OF NEXT ATTACK AGAINST YOU BY 50% (ROUNDED DOWN) AND NEGATES STUN/PARALYSIS EFFECT OF THAT ATTACK
           COOLDOWN: 2 TURNS
» BATTLE HEALING R4

PASSIVE
      WHILE IN COMBAT, USER HEALS FOR 4% (48 HP) OF THEIR MAX HP EACH TURN

EXTRA SKILLS
» DISGUISE

FREE ACTION
      +1 EVA UNTIL START OF YOUR NEXT TURN
           COOLDOWN: 3 TURNS
» 
MEDITATION

POST ACTION
      RECOVER AN ADDITIONAL 15 ENERGY - GETTING HIT BY AN ATTACK BEFORE YOUR NEXT TURN REDUCES ADDITIONAL ENERGY RECOVERY TO 9

WEAPON SKILLS
» TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD R5

+7 DMG WHEN TWO-HANDED WEAPON IS EQUIPPED

ARMOR SKILLS
» LIGHT ARMOR R5

+25 MIT

MODS
» LIGHT ARMOR MOD: ATHLETICS

PASSIVE
      +1 DMG WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
      +30 HP WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
»
 LIGHT ARMOR MOD: SPRINT & ACROBATICS

PASSIVE
      +1 EVA WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
»
 PARRY MOD: JUSTIFIED RIPOSTE

POST ACTION: COMBINE WITH PARRY
      SUCCESSFUL PARRY STUNS OPPONENT
»
 WEAPON MOD: PRECISION

PASSIVE
      +1 ACC
»
 WEAPON MOD: TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD FEROCITY

PASSIVE
      +1 DMG WHEN USING 2HSS SWORD ARTS
» WEAPON MOD: TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD FINESSE R3

PASSIVE
      REDUCES THE EN COST OF TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD SWORD ARTS BY 3

EQUIPMENT

WEAPON
» [EQUIPPED] "DAWN'S DEMISE" - TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD (T3 - DEMONIC)
     ➥ FALLEN 2
           +12 TO BASE DAMAGE ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 6-8
     ➥ PHASE
           IGNORES 50% OF MIT ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 9 OR HIGHER
     ➥ ABSOLUTE ACCURACY
           +1 TO BD
           NATURAL ROLLS OF 1 NO LONGER AUTOMATICALLY MISS

ARMOR
» [EQUIPPED] "BLOODSTAINED COAT" - LIGHT ARMOR (T3 - DEMONIC)
      +54 MIT
      +1 EVA
      HOLY BLESSING
           AFTER TAKING DAMAGE, USER HEALS 24 HP AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FOLLOWING TURN

TRINKET
» [EQUIPPED] "EAGLE'S EYE" - TRINKET (T1 - DEMONIC)
      +2 EVA
      +2 ACC

FAMILIAR
» [EQUIPPED] SWINE BAJESUS R3
     ➥ +9 DMG

MEGA SLIME FARM USED. (+2 SP FOR THREAD)

"Ever been fishing?" Bahr asked.

"Nope," the boy replied.

"Really?" Bahr replied skeptically, raising a brow. "Not even once?"

"I mean, I don't know. Maybe when I was little." The boy seemed a bit confused. "If I did, I don't remember it. It feels kinda familiar."

"Ah,"
 Bahr responded. "I understand. I feel that way, sometimes."

"Yeah."

Two lines cast into the pool. Bahr wasn't even sure if fish lurked here. In an underground cavern, where the water was sparse, and life sparser. There was no way to be absolutely certain that they would catch anything, but that was alright. The process was more important than the reward. Hell, the practice was a reward of its own. Meditative. Contemplative. 

"Bahr?" the tiny voice asked.

"Yeah, bud?" Bahr replied.

"Why do you do this?" he asked.

"Do what, bud?" Bahr replied. Oliver gestured over the pond.

"Fish. Like this. It seems boring." Bahr grinned.

"Things aren't always as they seem, kiddo," Bahr replied. His float dipped beneath the surface. "Watch."

Spoiler

ID: 141186
CD: 9 | LD: 15
(3) Materials, (6) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 3
Thread egg total: 6

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wow!" Oliver exclaimed as Bahr reeled in the fish, holding it up for the youth to inspect. "It's huge!"

"Not so boring now, is it?"
 Bahr mused, gently placing the fish in a bucket he'd brought with. The boy fell silent, and his grin waned. Then, his expression scrunched a bit.

"Yeah, well, it's still a lot of waiting around," he said as he folded his arms, assuming a most indignant posture. Bahr couldn't help but crack a grin. He still had much to learn, as much as Bahr did at that age. He saw a lot of himself, in him.

"It's more than that. Look." He pointed out over the water to Oliver's float, which dipped down below the surface. The boy, who had all but forgotten about the rod nestled between his small fingers, scrambled to reel it in. He was too late, and the bait was gone. The fish had bested him. "There's a level of focus you need to hone in on. Pay attention to the float. Pay attention to the tension of the line as it wiggles against your fingers. And more than that, teach your mind to quiet its audience."

There was a beat of silence, and then, "Quiet my audience? What does that even mean?"

Spoiler

ID: 141189
CD: 1 | LD: 11
Nothing obtained.
Thread material total: 3
Thread egg total: 6

"Well, it's like this," Bahr began as he cast his lure back out into the pond. Oliver, instinctively, followed suit. "You can imagine your mind like a theater."

"A theater? Like... for movies?" Oliver replied.

"Kinda," Bahr responded with a shrug. "More like for a concert. One with an orchestra."

"I don't like music like that," Oliver said sourly.

"Alright, then. What kind of music do you like?" Bahr asked.

"I like rock and roll," Oliver replied, a grin spreading across his cheeks. Infectious, it spread to Bahr's lips, also.

"Alright, then. A rock band. Does that work?"

"Yes."

"Good,"
 Bahr concluded, smile still stretched across his face. "So, it's like this. The audience, the people listening, are you."

"Whaaaat?"

"That's right,"
 Bahr continued. "The band playing, they're what's coming in. Everything you experience, everything you feel, it's translated through the band to the audience - you."

"I'm a little lost," Oliver admitted. 

"That's okay," Bahr assured him, patting his back. "Maybe this will help."

Spoiler

ID: 141197
CD: 12 | LD: 5
(4) Materials, (2) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 7
Thread egg total: 8

"When something good happens, the music the band plays is happy. Like if you eat food you really like, or win in a game, or..." He paused, peered at the boy out of the corner of his eye. "... a girl you think is cute smiles at you."

"Hey!" Oliver exclaimed, his cheeks turning red.

"No judgement here, man. What, is there a girl you like?" Bahr asked, nudging the kid with his elbow.

"N-no! Besides, you're probably just talking about how you feel when Alyssa smiles at you," Oliver shot back.

"Hey, now-" Bahr began, but he was cut off.

"No judgement here, man," Oliver said with a shrug and a smug grin.

Clever boy.

"Aaaanyways..." Bahr said, clearing his throat. "When something bad happens, the band plays something different. If something makes you angry, the music gets harsher and more chaotic. If something makes you angry, the music gets quiet and somber."

"Like when my mom died."

Silence.

"Yeah, bud. Like when your mom died."

Spoiler

ID: 141205
CD: 7 | LD: 13
(2) Materials, (6) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 9
Thread egg total: 14

"I don't think fishing can help with that," Oliver stated very matter-of-factly, a half shrug issued indifferently.

"No, not exactly," Bahr admitted as he reeled in another fish. He deposited it into the bucket, then cast out his line again. "But it can help with parts of it."

"How?"

"Well, there's only a certain number of seats in your little brain theater there. Let's say there's one hundred."

"That's a lot of seats."

"Indeed. And because there's one hundred, there's only a certain number of band members and a certain number of audience members you can have at a time. Say, ninety people in the audience, and ten people in the band."

"I hate math."

"The problem is that, sometimes, depending on the music, people can get confused about whether or not they're the audience, or the band. Sometimes, they might think they're both. And when that happens, and seats in the audience start getting filled with band members instead of you, the music gets louder, and louder, and louder, until it's all you can hear, and you can't make out your own thoughts anymore."

"I don't think I really get it,"
 Oliver replied after a moment of contemplation. "I thought the audience was the audience, and the band was the band."

Spoiler

ID: 141206
CD: 11 | LD: 20
(4) Materials, (8) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 13
Thread egg total: 22

"That's exactly right, Oliver," Bahr replied, tugging a bit on his line to give the bait below the illusion of movement. "At least, that's the way it should be. The band is just noise. When you start to confuse the noise with the audience, or confuse how you feel with who you are, things can get messy."

"I still don't really get it," Oliver admitted again, rubbing the back of his neck. The poor boy was trying, but it may have been a bit deep for someone his age. 

"Sure. Think of it this way - have you ever gotten so angry that you did something rash without thinking about it? Something you would never do if you weren't mad, but you got so excited that you did it in the heat of the moment?"

"Yeah, I guess. Everyone has, though."

"Exactly. That's an example of your audience thinking they're a part of the band, and adding to the noise."

This gave Oliver quite a bit to think about, and they sat in silence for awhile. They reeled in fish after fish, not a word shared between them. 

Spoiler

ID: 141208
CD: 9 | LD: 3
(3) Materials, (2) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 16
Thread egg total: 24

"So..." Oliver began, somewhat timidly. "How does... fishing... help with that?"

"Right,"
 Bahr chortled. "I knew I was forgetting something." He reeled in his line, eyes absently following the scaly sheen as light echoed from the surface of the fish - dropped into the bucket. Then, it went out again. "The trick to overcoming that - the band taking over - is to remember that you're the audience. Just because you don't like what the band is playing, doesn't mean you need to let it get to you. You can listen, wait for it to pass, and then go forward from there. Fishing helps with that."

"How?"

"Well, it's good practice," Bahr continued. "You told me you felt like it was boring to sit here and fish, right?"

"Yeah," Oliver replied, recalling how he'd expressed it earlier.

"That just means the band is playing boring music. If you don't let your audience become the boredom, you can tolerate it, and even learn to enjoy it."

Spoiler

ID: 141214
CD: 6 | LD: 11
(1) Material, (6) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 17
Thread egg total: 30

"That sounds hard," Oliver said hesitantly.

"It is hard - at first. Especially when you're young and hyperactive."

"Hey!"

"Well? Am I wrong?"

"... No."

"Right. And, if you get good enough at learning how to do that here, while fishing, then you can be better at doing it with other things. Not doing rash things when you're angry. Not being self destructive when you're sad. It's something you need to practice to learn."

"But it's hard."
 He sounded a tad whiny. The boredom was getting to him.

"Yeah. It is. But it's something that's important to learn, especially when you're young. I wish I'd learned it when I was your age. I only really started getting it recently."

"But you're the one who told me about it," Oliver protested, seemingly confused that Bahr could only have a cursory grasp of the subject he'd described so confidently.

"Yup, that's right," Bahr responded, "That's right."

Silence.

Spoiler

ID: 141214
CD: 7 | LD: 3
(2) Materials, (2) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 19
Thread egg total: 32

Once again, it seemed as though silence had befallen the pair like a strange, cozy blanket. There was nothing uncomfortable about it - merely quiet speculation, introspection and reflection. Things that Oliver had likely hardly ever had to tangle with in his life, at least not to this extent. It was a lot to unravel and make sense of. But this was a good thing - the boy would learn how to think, process, look inward, and see things from a different perspective. An enlightened one, so long as he used the tools Bahr had given him properly.

But it was also a double-edged sword.

"Sometimes I feel like that," Oliver finally said. "Like the noise is too loud."

"When?"
 Bahr asked.

"When I think about my mom. My feelings get louder and louder until I can't take it, and go to do anything else but think about it," Oliver replied.

A totally natural response, but it still grinding Bahr's heart into dust. Of course he felt overwhelmed. Of course he avoided processing those feelings. Bahr couldn't even imagine being in Oliver's shoes at his current age - let alone at Oli's. 

Spoiler

ID: 141986
CD: 1 | LD: 4
Nothing obtained.
Thread material total: 19
Thread egg total: 32

"And the kids aren't nice about it, either."

What?

"Sometimes they're mean about it, when I'm feeling sad. They say all of them have problems, too. But they aren't being sad, so I shouldn't. They tell me that I'll never do anything if I'm feeling sad all of the time - and even if I do, it won't be new or cool, because someone else has probably done it already. And that it's probably my fault my mom died, because I could have done more to save her. I think they might be right."

It had been awhile since Bahr had felt this. Pure rage. It felt strange, feeling such raw and hostile emotion toward faceless children. But he couldn't help it. Picking on Oliver? His Oliver? That just couldn't happen.

"They say there's nothing great about me. So that's why."

That's it.

"Oli-" Was he even allowed to call him that? Screw it. "Oli," he began, "If being hard on yourself was a good way to improve yourself, I promise it would have worked by now."

"But-"

"No buts,"
 Bahr interjected.

Spoiler

ID: 141994
CD: 7 | LD: 7
(2) Materials, (4) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 21
Thread egg total: 36

"'Greatness' doesn't exist," Bahr began, much to Oliver's bewilderment. "Yeah. You heard me. It doesn't exist," he reiterated as he dug the handle of his fishing pole into the ground and turned to face the boy directly. This needed to be communicated as clearly as possible - no distractions.

"For the longest time, I thought there were two types of people. The 'knowers,' who knew what they were doing with their lives, and the noobs like me who were just going from plan to misguided plan. I'm starting to get older, and the most traumatic part of the whole ordeal isn't the fact that I'm going to slow down, or get gray hair, or that my body might start slowly failing me. It's the realization that this model is totally wrong, because 'greatness' does not exist. Expertise exists. Don't trust a barista to fly a plane, and don't trust a pilot to make your coffee. But when it comes to wisdom, or working out how to be happy, or big boy and big girl meaning of life stuff, nobody know what the hell they're doing."

Spoiler

ID: 141998
CD: 10 | LD: 20
(3) Materials, (8) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 24
Thread egg total: 44

"Not your heroes. Not the smartest among us. And definitely not your dumbass peers," he continued. "When it comes to matters of the soul, it's open season, and this is a wonderful thing. Because it means that as far as art or innovation goes, personal meaning, accomplishments, and what really matters; the world is anarchy. Although they might tell you, or you might even tell yourself, that nothing is worth doing because somebody else might do it better... Whoever the 'greats' are, whoever had their name etched in history before us, obviously they had the same doubts, and they pushed through it. They were intensely interested in, or devoted to something, while simultaneously feeling lost all the time."

"A long period of confusion trying to decipher complex emotions or come up with something innovative isn't a side effect of doing so, it's the price of admission. Van Gogh was twenty-seven before he bothered trying to learn how to paint. Darwin said he was considered by all of his masters and his father to be average, even going so far as to call him below the common standard of intellect. Hell, even the writer of Moby Dick wasn't recognized until like a hundred years after its writer died."

Spoiler

ID: 141999
CD: 6 | LD: 13
(1) Materials, (6) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 25
Thread egg total: 50

"They were ganged up on on all side by mean critics, or the worst critic of all - themselves. So if someone ever tells you that you'll never do anything remarkable with your life, the best way to reply is..."

Too late to turn back now.

"F*ck off, and who the f*ck are you, anyway? The sh*t they will tell you. 'You've had all your good ideas.' 'It's all been done before.' 'You're too old, too young, too dumb.' 'There's nothing new under the sun.' All stupid, vacuous nonsense. Every day you have lived has come and gone, and those day's aren't coming back. Life is too short to listen to idiot cynics. Look at where we are; historically, technologically, galactically, the whole game. This isn't normal, is it? Act without expectation. Make cool stuff just because. Today, this week, this month, this year, decade, century. They will be occasionally referenced in history - and that will be that."

Spoiler

ID: 142000
CD: 6 | LD: 10
(1) Materials, (4) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 26
Thread egg total: 54

"If you're nervous about pursuing something because they tell you it won't amount to anything, it might help to remember that in the grand scheme of things, their cynicism will be forgotten, just as will be your failures. There has never been a better time to do a thing. And just by virtue of how weird existing is in the first place, there are a trillion interesting things still undone, unmade, and unsaid. Those areas have not yet been drilled, Oli. It's a wilderness out there for everyone. It always has been. The 'greats' didn't know they were greats. They were just normal people, like you or I, who refused to bow to cynicism. And if we were to draw a collective lesson from their lives, it might be something to the tune of, 'If they give you lined paper, write the other way.' In your projects, in your silly pursuits, in your unlikely follies, in those expeditions into the abyss to retrieve those strange mental metals that you will fashion into something that nobody has ever made before."

Spoiler

ID: 142005
CD: 12 | LD: 20
Treasure chest fished up!
(8) Eggs obtained.

Thread material total: 26
Thread egg total: 62

Wow. That was indescribably heavy. And even a little bit cheesy. Far too deep for a young mind like Oliver's. His eyes had grown wider and wider with every breath Bahr took and converted into pseudo-intellectual drivel. But if the youth had gleaned even one lesson from all of this, one singular nugget or morsel of 'wisdom,' the slightest glimmer of clarity amid the cloud of heinous music he was experiencing, this all would have been worth it.

"... Do... Do I need to curse at them? When I say it..." He had asked so timidly, as though he was afraid Bahr was going to burst into a fit of rage. Had he really seemed so angry? It took him a moment to even process what it was that Oliver was asking. Then, it clicked.

"Ah," he replied. "No, no. Don't curse. It's not necessary." That, and Lessa would kill Bahr if she found out that Oliver had been learning to curse at people from him. "Here - would you like to practice?"

Spoiler

ID: 142025
CD: 5 | LD: 12
(1) Material, (6) Eggs obtained.
Thread material total: 27
Thread egg total: 68

"Yeah," Oliver replied.

"Alright, then," Bahr responded enthusiastically, clapping his hands together. "Let's hear it."

"S-... Screw you, and, uh, who the heck are you... anyway?"

"Good. Now say it more confidently."

"Screw you, and who the heck are you, anyway?"

"Excellent. Louder."

"Screw you, and who the heck are you, anyway!?"

"Keep going, louder!"

"SCREW YOU, AND YOU THE HECK ARE YOU, ANYWAY!?"

"That's it!"

"SCREW YOU, AND WHO THE HECK ARE YOU, ANYWAY!?"

"And who are you!?"

"I'm Oliver!"

"Who is Oliver!?"

"I am on of the greats!"

"And why's that!?"

"Because I can do anything, no matter what they say!"

"That's god damn right!"

Their voices echoed throughout the interior of the cavern, rippling across the tepid surface of the pond they'd been fishing in, scaring any and all fish present there. They definitely wouldn't be getting a bite now. But there was something magical in the energy they shared. They were both beaming like idiots, completely and wholly elated by the electricity they'd generated with their shouts. It was the widest Bahr had ever seen the boy smile. 

Yes. It was definitely magic.

Spoiler

ID: 142038
CD: 2 | LD: 12
Nothing obtained.
Thread material total: 27
Thread egg total: 68

But all of their rowdiness had had an unforeseen consequence. They'd attracted some mobs that had been skulking around nearby, previously unaware to the human invaders that were pilfering their aquifers. Could spiders even hear? Apparently these ones could.

Oliver, in typical Oliver fashion, brandished his sword and pointed it toward the over sized arachnids. Though cute, Bahr didn't waste any time reaching forward and pulling the kid behind him. "Yeah, no," he said as he slowly unsheathed Dawn's Demise. "I've got this. Pretty sure Alyssa and half of all players in Aincrad would have my head if I let you fight these things."

"But I can take them!" Oliver protested.

"I said no," Bahr reminded the youth, sternly. "Stay back. Let me handle it." And then he leapt forward into the fray. Despite the new "Absolute Accuracy" enhancement Bahr had acquired for his weapon, he still managed to miss two of the mobs. Almost certainly a default in his build. He'd need to retweak it.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 1190-96=1094/1190 | EN: 116-12=104/116 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | HB: 24 | BH: 48 | PHASE | ABS. ACC

Bahr used [x12 AoE] Calamity Disaster-9 EN

Cave Spider 1: HP: 580-372=208/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 142044 | BD: 7 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x12=372 DMG | MD: 5, Miss | -2 EN
Cave Spider 2: HP: 580/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 142045 | BD: 1, Miss | MD: 2, Miss | -2 EN
Cave Spider 3: HP: 580-228=352/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 142046 | BD: 3+4=7, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | MD: 9, Crit for 175-79=96 DMG | -2 EN
Cave Spider 4: HP: 580/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 142047 | BD: 1, Miss | MD: 6-4=2, Miss | -2 EN
-12 ENERGY TOTAL
 ("RESTED" HOUSE BUFF REDUCES EN COST BY 1)

To make matters worse, one of the spiders managed to sink its teeth into Bahr's shoulder an hold him down. While he was immobilized, two of the other spiders rushed in, and their fangs similarly found their mark. Oliver gasped and began running forward, but was halted by Bahr's voice. "Stop!" he bellowed. "It's not as bad as it looks. Look at my health bar."

And sure enough, it had barely depleted. In fact, at certain intervals, it would actually spike back upward, before beginning to slowly deplete again. Dawn's Demise adopted a crimson sheen before ripping through the pack of mobs, eviscerating two of them in their entirety and severely damaging the others. They recoiled back, away from their prey, and Bahr cast a glance back to the boy. "Like I told you. I've got this."

Despite the battle not being anything particularly impressive, the kid seemed absolutely enraptured. Something told Bahr he'd never seen anything quite like it. At least, not up close like this.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 1094+24+48=1166-97-96=973/1190 | EN: 104+1-16=89/116 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | HB: 24 | BH: 48 | PHASE | ABS. ACC

Cave Spider 1: HP: 208-372=0/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 143155 | BD: 8 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x12=372 DMG | Cave Spider 1 defeated | -2 EN
Cave Spider 2: HP: 580-252=328/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 143156 | BD: 10, Crit for 21x12=252 DMG | MD: 10, Crit for 176-79=97 DMG | -2 EN
Cave Spider 3: HP: 352-372=0/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 143157 | BD: 8 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x12=372 DMG | Cave Spider 3 defeated | -2 EN
Cave Spider 4: HP: 580-372=208/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 143158 | BD: 6 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x12=372 DMG | MD: 9, Crit for 175-79=96 DMG | -2 EN
-16 ENERGY TOTAL ("RESTED" HOUSE BUFF REDUCES EN COST BY 1)

Looting
Cave Spider 1
ID: 143159
LD: 18 | CD: 12

6380 col
(6) Eggs obtained
(1) Material obtained
(1) T3 Rare Trinket [ID: 143159]

Cave Spider 3
ID: 143160
LD: 20 | CD: 2
4640 col
(2) Eggs obtained
(1) Material obtained
(1) T3 Perfect Consumable [ID: 143160A]
(1) T3 Rare Trinket [ID: 143160B]

Thread material total: 29
Thread egg total: 76

A part of Bahr found that invigorating. The idea that he could introduce this boy to combat in a safe and productive way. Let him see the way the energy of battle ebbed and flowed. It was something that Bahr had found centering and therapeutic countless times in the past. It was also a necessary evil within the castle Aincrad - that one could come away from such an experience without having endured combat was not only optimistic; it was foolish.

But there was another part of this that made Bahr's conscience recoil. Combat wasn't something a boy so young should have to worry about, and be engaged in. Surely, Bahr knew better than most the dangers of combat. Not only physically, by mentally. He'd grown addicted to it in the past, and though he now regulated his time in combat and took it in moderation, he could still feel it. Lingering at the back of his skull. Gnawing at him. Once an addict, always an addict.

It would be far too easy to slip down the slope, and straight into the abyss. He had too much riding on him to allow that to happen now. So with each swing of his sword, he held back, fighting against the raw power housed in the slab of metal and his own muffled and twisted machinations.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 973+24+48=1045/1190 | EN: 89+1-13=77/116 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | HB: 24 | BH: 48 | PHASE | ABS. ACC

Cave Spider 2: HP: 328-228=100/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 143161 | BD: 5+4=9, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | MD: 6-4=2, Miss | -2 EN
Cave Spider 4: HP: 208-372=0/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 143162 | BD: 7 | FALLEN ACTIVATED | Hit for 31x12=372 DMG | Cave Spider 4 defeated | -2 EN
-13 ENERGY TOTAL 

Looting
Cave Spider 4
ID: 143163
LD: 4 | CD: 3

2320 col
(1) Material obtained

Thread material total: 30
Thread egg total: 76

There was only one left, and it was hanging by a thread. At the same time, nearly all of the damage that Bahr had absorbed thus far had mended itself, his Holy Blessing and Battle Healing working in tandem to repair his flesh and ward off whatever damage the feeble mongrels had dealt. Dawn's Demise hummed with scarlet energy, red exploding from its blade as it slammed down into the spider and severed it from mortality once and for all.

And once it was done, Bahr felt relief.

His eyes flickered back to Oliver, who seemed amazed by the entire display. His jaw practically touched the floor as he watched the final monster evaporate into polygonal dust, and he seemed speechless. That's a first, Bahr thought to himself as he sheathed his weapon, approached the youth, and offered him a reassuring pat on the shoulder. And then, without another word, he continued along to where their fishing poles rested, and retrieved his from where he'd dropped it.

"Come on, kid," he beckoned, holding up the second fishing rod for the boy to seize.

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 1045+24+48=1117/1190 | EN: 77+1-10=68/116 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | HB: 24 | BH: 48 | PHASE | ABS. ACC

Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-10 EN

Cave Spider 2: HP: 100-228=0/580 | DMG: 174 | ID: 143164 | BD: 3+4=7, Hit for 19x12=228 DMG | Cave Spider 2 defeated

Looting
Cave Spider 2
ID: 143165
LD: 12 | CD: 8

4640 col
(5) Eggs obtained

(1) Material obtained
(1) T3 Rare Weapon [ID: 143165A]
(1) T3 Uncommon Consumable [ID: 143165B]

Thread material total: 31
Thread egg total: 81