[F1|PP]I Practiced the Blade...[Secret Medicine]

Shay followed directly behind the gaijin, pulling her blade out of its holster and slashing the bottom half of it's base. Mid way through her strike, before the blade could connect, the creatures vines snapped at her feet. She had to stop short just not take damage, but the sudden stop with the built up momentum sent her collapsing onto her stomach. There was no pain from hitting the dirt, well, other than her own pride. She quickly sprung herself up and dusted the grass off her hands.

"I would have had it there too." The raven-haired girl grumbled as she took up her offensive stance again, looking for an opening for another attack. All it would take was a single hit to fell the mob. A hostile gust of wind could kill it if it picked up enough. Her grip tightened on the sword and she waited for an opening.

@Baldur

image.thumb.png.1409f7239d57ac6cd0e7b56b063ff12a.png

Shay 76/80 5/8 (-1)
Baldur HP1370/1370 | EN: 128/130 | MIT: 79 | DMG: 19 | Absolute ACC: 4 | EVA: 3 | BH: 54 | Conc (2/3) | Parry (2/2) | QChange (1/3)

Nepent V.: 1/15 | MIT 5 | DMG: 10

Edited by Shay

Baldur clenched his teeth when Shay got caught up by the Nepent Varient's roots, snaring her feet and preventing her from moving out of them and getting close enough to finish off the creature. Instead of fighting back, he stood there to take the attack, but it couldn't seem to reach both of them at the same time, so the attacks missed Baldur, even as it finally released Shay so that she could finish it off. Baldur raised the tip of his katana in one hand, keeping the point extended out towards the creature.

"One more time. I'm feeling lucky about this one. I think you've got it!"

He smiled now, slowly batting aside the whip attacks as the giant, ugly monsters that somehow looked like an ice cream drink with lips, made its way towards him. Should she miss again, he may need to just finish it off. That way they could get through these a bit faster and play the numbers game.

"If this one doesn't, we'l just start mowing them down en masse."

Baldur takes no action

Shay 76/80 5/8 (-1)
Baldur HP1370/1370 | EN: 129/130 | MIT: 79 | DMG: 19 | Absolute ACC: 4 | EVA: 3 | BH: 54 | Conc (2/3) | Parry (2/2) | QChange (1/3) +1 EN

Once she from the ensnaring roots of the Nepent Variant she gripped her blade tightly and rushed in to make another attack. It was going much better this time around, what with nothing coming up to grab her ankle and send her into the grass again. The blade rushed past and slashed through the Nepent Variant. She had felt it hit the Nepent, but it seemed like her luck was just unfortunate enough for her to somehow miss the attack. A hint of anger furled in her brow, as she had to back off again to avoid being lashed by the vines of the plant monster.

"I apologize. The new weapon is screwing up my accuracy. The blade is much longer and I'm not compensating for it enough. I'll get it on the next attack for sure." Her red-eyes panned over to Baldur, to make sure he was alright. Though he could probably just stand there and do nothing letting his armor absorb the damage and his passive regeneration heal him. No need to worry about his condition then.

@Baldur

image.thumb.png.0c68334cfdbcb697257840791fb2d870.png

Shay 76/80 4/8 (-1)
Baldur HP1370/1370 | EN: 129/130 | MIT: 79 | DMG: 19 | Absolute ACC: 4 | EVA: 3 | BH: 54 | Conc (2/3) | Parry (2/2) | QChange (1/3) +1 EN

Edited by Shay

Baldur smiled sympathetically to Shay when she apologized for not being able to hit.

"It's not just you, it's the system. You have to work with it, not against it. But this why we're here, for you to learn. It's aggroed to me, so don't worry. Take your time, feel the weight, line up a strike that matters."

The creature lashed a vine at Baldur and the gaijin used the katana's saya to bat the whip like tendrils aside so he wouldn't deal any damage.

"I too was familiar with the katana when I came to this game, but even I had to relearn some things. SAO is somewhere in the between. The stances are what comes natural, the strikes are guided by the system. There's room for skill yes, but this game also has math running in the background to determine how effective we are. Focus on the fundamentals."

I'm giving un-asked for advice again. She probably knows all of this already if she's made it this far. No need to mansplain the system to her.

Baldur takes no action
Nepent attacks Baldur (ID#144983 MD: 3 miss)

Shay 76/80 4/8 (-1)
Baldur HP1370/1370 | EN: 130/130 | MIT: 79 | DMG: 19 | Absolute ACC: 4 | EVA: 3 | BH: 54 | Conc (3/3) | Parry (2/2) | QChange (2/3) +1 EN

Edited by Baldur

Shay quieted herself. With the Nepent variant completely distracted she could her sweet time coming up with an idea. If she were to miss another attack she was just start getting frustrated with herself so it was time to end this. She sheathed her blade and eyed her target, slowly leaning forward charging into a sprint. She closed the distance between her and her enemy almost instantly and drew the blade from its holster leading into a devastating slash that cut the Variant completely in half.

"Owatte." The girl said as she returned the blade to its holster. The monster exploded into a bits of data, the mist of blue polygons covered her vision momentarily until she could see Baldur again. "How was that?" The girl said as she held up the bottle of ovule the Nepent was supposed to drop. It looked like they were done here now since she had the item that they need.

image.thumb.png.d4dfb4007f58730a5ac025ff71ea58bf.png

Shay 76/80 4/8 (-1)
Baldur HP1370/1370 | EN: 129/130 | MIT: 79 | DMG: 19 | Absolute ACC: 4 | EVA: 3 | BH: 54 | Conc (2/3) | Parry (2/2) | QChange (1/3) +1 EN

Nepent V.: 0/15 | MIT 5 | DMG: 10

Edited by Shay

As the cluster of floating luminous polygons dissipated from between them, Baldur's face was seen smiling at Shay. She had done well, not just before the the boss fight, but in overcoming the adversity. She may have been near her limits, but she took a moment, slowed down, and made the corrections she needed to be successful. It was the perseverance he was looking for and hoped he would find when he came looking for who would be out here doing this quest.

"Well done, Shay-chan." Baldur even gave her a thumbs up.

"That should be enough to get you the Katana skill as well. That alone should help quite a bit with what you were just fighting through, but I would highly recommend prioritizing accuracy as soon as you can. It will make a big difference." Baldur shrugged slightly, "At least, that's my school's philosophy."

Baldur pointed back over his shoulder towards the town of beginning.

"How about we head back to town and let you turn in that quest for the reward? The sword you get isn't great, but it is worth some good SP at your level."

Shay stood quietly as Baldur praised her. She didn't really need anyone's approval or anything, but it was nice, at least. The gaijin was a really nice guy, probably too nice for someone who was as callous as Shay. Then he mentioned a school. A player made school here in Aincrad? Wonder what for.

"A school? What kind of school are you apart of? Do you teach lower leveled players how level up and play the game?" She asked, gesturing him to lead the way and walking next to him. Oddly enough, the katana over the wakizashi was nice. She enjoyed the weight of the blade and the reach was much better. She would be one of the most powerful katana users the game has ever seen.

"Perhaps I should visit the school. I might be pretty good at video games, but if there's one thing I do know, it's that MMO's require a vast amount of knowledge and grinding to become powerful."

@Baldur

Baldur suddenly seemed to perk up when Shay showed interest in his school. He turned slightly and started to walk, waiting for her to catch up and walk beside him before he continued.

"It's still sort of unofficial, but that's only temporary. I almost have the facility complete."

Baldur paused for a moment as he considered how to explain it to her.

"But yes, I have a school where I use the katana to teach my bushido. A... Sword art online bushido, if you will. Enough people have found my teachings useful that I decided to officially open a school aimed to help those who ask for it. How to fight with a katana, a safe place to practice and ask questions, and allies to fight shoulder to shoulder with, and people to help while you push your limits and find out where they are."

It's so much more than that, but I don't know how to explain it yet. Perhaps once I've had more than 4 or 5 students I'll have a better idea.

"I've named it Katsujinken-dojo."

A dojo meant to teach player the basics and intermediates of the sword, no not the sword, the katana specifically. Shay had been taught a little bit of kendo, but she was always bad at it. There were too many specific rules to the sport and it annoyed her. However, she couldn't remain solo forever. Best to make some friends while she could right?

"I think I will have to check it out then. The Life-Giving Blade... An interesting name. I like it." The girl adjusted the belt she had that held up her weapon since it was a different length and make. "I imagine you're a much stronger player than I am right now then. I'm currently level four, but give me some time and you'll see me in the higher levels in the blink of an eye. I'll be the strongest katana-user you'll meet in Aincrad, even if it means I over take you." She grinned at him with challenge in her eyes. It was probably the only emotion Baldur had seen from her in the 20-30 minutes they'd known each other.

@Baldur

Baldur smiled at Shay when she issued her challenge and expressed interest in his school. He was equally excited to see someone want to follow in the footsteps he laid out.  Perhaps his school would be able to become something after all. He had to admit, until it got into full swing he would worry about whether anyone would show up, but the purpose wasn't for Baldur to have students, but to help others find the right path. It wasn't for everyone, by design.

"The destiny of a good teacher is to be surpassed by his students. Calrex-kun was my first student, and he is the highest level player in Aincrad." Baldur said the words proudly. Calrex was also one of his closest friends.

"I chose the name for several reasons. My way of the sword, my bushi, is to help others find betterment through the sword, find redemption, and to help avenge the lives of the fallen, and help free the lives of all the others trapped here. Katsujinken doesn't just mean life giving blade. The ken refers not to the blade, but to the wielder. We are all of us people on a journey through life, who have all become trapped here in Aincrad. Katsujinken is how we have responded to the challenges that life has placed in front of us."

Baldur flashed Shay a proud smile.