[F22|PP]<<Witch of the West>>Is this really safe???

The girl closed her menu quickly as it got a ping, thank god she was the only person who could hear the chime when she received a message or she would be absolutely dead right now. After several, agonizingly long seconds went by, the sound died down. They were gone.

With a heavy sigh, the girl opened her menu and read the message. She would feel much safer than down here by herself. It was becoming increasingly dangerous to be sitting around without Shield on this floor. She quickly opened up the messenger and typed furiously.

Shield,

HEY, there are more of the monkey minion things down here and I'm cowaring for my freakin' life! Hurry up and kill the witch please so I can join you, I'm terrified down here alone!

Chelsea

Once that message was done and sent, she closed her menu and continued to stay as quiet as possible.

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs [Vengeful Riposte - 0/3 remaining

Action: None

[H:0/0/0] Shield: HP: 1710/1850 | EN: 170/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

<<Elite Flying Monkey 1>>HP: 103/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35 [ENV 3/4] - ID# 147068 results: MOB: 7+1=8 - Hit! 90-181=45 min dmg [THN - 99 dmg]
<<Elite Flying Monkey 2>>HP85/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35 [ENV 2/4] - ID# 147069 results: MOB: 6+1=7 - Hit!90-181=45 min dmg [THN - 99 dmg]

<<The Witch>> HP303/700 | DMG: 100 (min 50) | MIT: 70

Witch attack vs. Shield - ID# 147070 results: MOB: 6+1=7 - Hit! 100-181=50 min dmg [THN - 99 dmg]

• Potion of Fireball: MD 9 [120 AoE + Burn 24 / 2 turns]
  • Poisoned Dagger: MD 10 [Crits player who has dealt most dmg to her. PAR / 1 turn + PSN 16 / 3 turns]
  • Unnatural Swiftness: 200 HP or less [+1 EVA permanently]

It was only a few moments later when Shield heard the familiar subdued chime of his notifications. Opening his inbox, he read Shye's response. He frowned. It was disappointing and a little alarming that they had started spawning lesser minions just to artificially inflate the difficulty of the quest. Then again, he wondered if merely the presence of another player was what made them spawn in the first place. Shield couldn't say. He had always just fought the monkeys head on without giving the game a chance to do anything differently.

He began to write his response, but before he could even finish, each of the enemies took a crack at him - both monkeys scratched at his face, while the witch attempted to sneak up behind him and club him over the head with her fist. Each of them registered small bits of damage on Shield and then immediately dropped into the yellow range of their health.

Still Fightin'

Well, it might be a whi

Scratch that. Everything is half dead now. I can't head down to help just yet. If I did, I would kite the witch down to you too, and that would be bad news to say the least. Hang in there and stay out of sight.

Edited by Shield

Shye opened up the menu and read his message. She could still hear the monkeys flying around the giant mansion, nowhere near her now thankfully, but she still opened up the reply box and typed out.

I found a place to hide from them, but I don't think it'll keep me safe forever. They're flying around like they're looking for someone! You think the witch knows that I'm here with you and sent her minions after me to try and distract you? I know I already said it but please hurry. If they find me, I'm going to try and run for as long as possible, but I don't know how long I'll last..."

The girl pressed send on her message board and peaked past the statue to see if there was anything around. Thankfully, nothing right now, but she was sure that they would make rounds again and be more thorough with their investigation. They were kind of dumb, but they were still large in numbers and she couldn't last very long, even with her new gear, without Shield to help her.

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] 

Action: Vengeful Riposte [-4 EN]

[H:0/0/0] Shield: HP: 1755/1850 | EN: 170/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 18 2/2]

<<Elite Flying Monkey 1>>HP: 85/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35 [ENV 2/4] - ID# 147078 results: MOB: 2+1=3 - Miss
<<Elite Flying Monkey 2>>HP0/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35 [ENV 1/4] - ID# 147079 results: MOB: 8+1=9 - Hit! 90/2-181=45 min dmg [THN - 99 dmg]

<<The Witch>> HP303/700 | DMG: 100 (min 50) | MIT: 70 [ENV 4/4]

Witch attack vs. Shield - ID# 147080 results: MOB: 9+1=10 - Hit! - 120-181=50 min dmg 

• Poisoned Dagger: MD 10 [Crits player who has dealt most dmg to her. PAR / 1 turn + PSN 16 / 3 turns]

As the battle continued, Shield continued to dodge around monkey and witch claws alike, checking his messages for updates from Skye. Upon receiving her reply and reading it quickly, he started putting together a reply.

Occupied

I can't make promises about how long I'll be. And I'm not going to be able to come down without bringing trouble with me.

Let's hope you don't need this.

Catch!

Shield threw open the trap door, summoning up a teleportation crystal from his inventory and tossing it gently down the stairs. It clinked loudly, the sounds ringing through the halls of the witch's castle as it continued its path all the way down to the bottom landing. At best, the noise would distract anything closing in on her. At worst, it would provide her a free escape if she needed it.

"Now, my pretties!" cried out the witch. Shield held out his sword, not even looking up from the trapdoor. One monkey flew into the blade, its point burying itself deep in the monster's belly until it ran into the hilt, shattering on the spot. The other one missed, its fingers just clipping the edge of Shield's hair. The witch let out a cry of rage. "Stop ignoring me! I am great and terrible, and you will learn to fear me!" Shield looked up just in time to see a flask land and shatter at his feet, sending a wave of heat that washed over him. He looked at the burning inferno around him and then at the witch.

"Gonna have to work harder at that."

Edited by Shield

A ping of a return message sounded in her menu. The sound of wings roaring in the distance as a group were coming down the hall. It would be a second before she had the chance to check what the message said.

-clink, clink, clink-

Something sounded as the mobs approached the stairs. A teleportation crystal, they saw one of them clawed the item up from the ground and try to toss it out the window. It banked off the glass and reverberated on to Shye's fragile skull. It took everything she had to not let out a wimper of pain from being boinked on the head by the crystal. It landed in her lap safely.

After a moment, the monkeys gave up their search in this area and moved on to the next. She let out a sigh of relief when they left and clutched the teleportation crystal in her hands. Opening the message, she replied, maybe a full minute after the crystal was thrown down the stairs.

Thank you! I feel a lot better now. If I don't get noticed, I'll be behind a statue propped near a window at the foot of the stairs. If I teleport out, I'll message you and let you know.

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs [Parry - 1/2 remaining] [Vengeful Riposte - 2/3 remaining]

[H:0/0/0] Shield: HP: 1787/1850 | EN: 167/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 18 - 1/2]

<<Elite Flying Monkey 1>>HP: 67/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35 [ENV 4/4] ID# 147091 results: MOB: 10+1=11 - Hit! 90+2-181=45 min dmg
<<Elite Flying Monkey 2>>HP0/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35

<<The Witch>> HP285/700 | DMG: 100 (min 50) | MIT: 70 [ENV 3/4]

Witch attack vs. Shield - ID# 147093 results: MOB: 4+1=5 - Miss

The witch shouted and shrieked and carried on at the top of her lungs, quite literally pulling out hair as she watched Shield stand in the midst of the fire, essentially unfazed, until the fire died down to cinders. "How many times have we tried that move?" Shield asked, giving her a mocking look.

"Silence!" she screamed, her vocal cords rasping under the strain of her angered noises. "How dare you constantly break into my sanctum and mock me so openly!"

"Well, if you want me to stop doing that, then you'll either need to lock up better or stop being so easy to mock," he answered back, taking a little bit of comfort in getting in a few good verbal jabs, even if physical jabs were not his strong suit. From behind, the remaining monkey latched onto him, clamping its sharp teeth down on Shield's neck. Unlike other strikes, it did not regret this immediately. However, Shield did notice the little green droplet that seemed to be flashing and fading beside the monkey's health bar suddenly become solid and definite again. "That seems about right," he said, grabbing the monkey by the scruff of the neck and tossing it toward the witch. It couldn't stabilize in flight well enough and plowed right into her, interrupting her attempts to strike at Shield again.

Edited by Shield

Should she try to find another spot to sit and hide? They haven't checked here yet, but what if they decided to the next time and she was in danger. If she teleported away back to the safe zone, she wouldn't get the quest finish. She wouldn't prioritize that over her own life or anything but she wouldn't teleport unless she absolutely had to. She clutched the crystal in her hands and peaked around the statue again. Nothing in vicinity. Not much reason to move yet, so let's stay here.

She could hear the witch howling in frustration. She was sure that Shield was giving her a rough time, but she hoped that he was finishing up as fast as he could manage. If he could just finish, she probably wouldn't be taking any more of these "Take one hit and you'll die instantly" quests at least for a few days. No massive amounts of EXP would persuade her either.

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs [Parry - 0/2 remaining] [Vengeful Riposte - 1/3 remaining]

[H:0/0/0] Shield: HP: 1805/1850 | EN: 168/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 18 - 1/2]

<<Elite Flying Monkey 1>>HP: 49/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35 [ENV 4/4] - ID# 147116 results: MOB: 9+1=10 - 90+1-181=45 min dmg

<<The Witch>> HP267/700 | DMG: 100 (min 50) | MIT: 70 [ENV 3/4]

Witch attack vs. Shield - ID# 147117 results: MOB: 2+1=3 - Miss

From behind him, Shield felt another raking of his neck from sharp, bony fingers. He turned around, not quire having expected an attack from that specific angle. Gotcha!" shrieked the witch, diving at him with both hands. However, as he had turned his body, he had turned his shield outwards towards her, so that as she lunged, she crashed into the face of the Manticore Mask head first, falling back on her backside and glowering up at Shield from the ground. "Oh, you just think you're sooooo strong, with your scary looking shield and being all tough and such!"

She stood up and spat at his feet. "Well, you've got a harsh reckoning coming," she said, circling him slowly. Shield got the distinct impression that she was trying to distract him, to throw him off of his game. Then again, it was coming up on a big milestone in SAO. The players were about to finish the first quarter of the game. Could it be that there was something waiting in store and the witch actually knew it?

Doubtful... it seems like pretty straight-forward boss trash-talk. But still... impossible to say with 100% certainty...

Edited by Shield

The redhead tucked herself back into the safety of her hiding spot, hoping that it would be enough to keep her hidden from the evil monkeys. She opened her menu again and looked to see if there was a new message from Shield yet. Nothing on his end. That meant that he was probably still trying to kill the witch.This sucks. Shye opened the window to type out the new message.

Hey, I'm getting worried that I'll be discovered soon. I might try to find a new hiding spot. I'm certain that the witch knows I'm here with you and much weaker than you. There's a ton of these monkeys swarming right now and they have to be looking for me. If I get discovered, and things go downhill, I'll meet you in town.

She pushed send then stood up, looking around the statue to make sure nothing was around and quietly left. She could probably find a closet to hide in or something.

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs [Vengeful Riposte - 0/3 remaining]

[H:0/0/0] Shield: HP: 1800/1850 | EN: 169/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 18 - 2/2]

<<Elite Flying Monkey 1>>HP: 31/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35 [ENV 3/4] - ID# 147125 results: MOB: 1 - Miss

<<The Witch>> HP249/700 | DMG: 100 (min 50) | MIT: 70 [ENV 4/4]

Witch attack vs. Shield - ID# 147126 results: MOB: 9+1=10 - Hit! 120-181=50 min dmg

Shield heard the soothing chime of his inbox and figured Skye was probably trying to get a hold of him. He pulled open his menu and began reading through her message. This, apparently, was something that angered the witch more than usual. She had never been particularly patient with Shield's style of 'sit there and let you punch yourself out and die' combat, but reading emails in the middle of a fight seemed to be the ultimate disrespect. For starters, she shrieked so loudly and shrilly that it threw her minion off course, sending him spinning off to the side, clutching his ears.

She then lobbed another fiery potion at him, which of course exploded and lit the entire area around him. Shield figured now was in as good a position as ever to reply, so he began to write.

Fire
Copy that, Shye. Be careful. Remember, nothing in this quest is worth your life. We are on a higher floor though. If you get the chance to look for valuables or materials, now might be very handy opportunity to do so. Just remember, safety first.

Edited by Shield

She wasn't going to spend a lot of time looking around for materials in a place like this, however, she would scoop some up if the chance came. She removed her weapon from her inventory and switched it with the pair of headphones that could boost her luck. If she was going to find anything, it would be easier with her Butterfly Headphones.

As she hurried through the halls of the witches castle, the redhead was nervous. She could hear the wings of the monkeys flapping around the hallways, looking for her.They sounded like they were closing in rather quickly. Quick, time to find another hiding spot before they found her. She swung open a wooden door creaking loudly as she closed it behind her. The idiot henchmen that they were, the monkeys only paraded down the hallway to be a threat.

The room was pitch black, she needed to find a light switch or something...

@Shield

Spoiler

Shye replaced her Dagger, Shinkyuu Hari with her Butterfly Headphones, increasing her LD to +3.

Spoiler

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] 

[H:0/0/0] Shield: HP: 1850/1850 | EN: 165/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 18 - 2/2]

<<Elite Flying Monkey 1>>HP: 13/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35 [ENV 2/4] - ID# 147151 results: MOB: 3+1=4 - Miss

<<The Witch>> HP231/700 | DMG: 100 (min 50) | MIT: 70 [ENV 3/4]

Witch attack vs. Shield - ID# 147152 results: MOB: 1 - Miss

There was no immediate reply. That either meant that Shye was focused and on the hunt, or it meant that she was in trouble. He hoped she would have the good sense to teleport out before things got bad, but he was keeping his ears open just in case. In the mean time, he had a witch and a monkey who were proving much more stubborn than he typically liked them to be. He paced impatiently, not enjoying the fact that there was a low leveled player not far away who was up against difficult odds.

The flying primate seemed to sense a palpable intensity off of Shield. It made a few attempts to swoop in and attack, but both times, it pulled out of its dive too short to make contact, chattering in frustration as it attempted to get up the courage to attack properly. The witch, on the other hand, was not pulling punches. Her swings were wild and erratic, each missing Shield by several inches. Both the witch and the monkey were slowly being drained of their health, but only one of them was in any danger from it.

Edited by Shield

With a latch of the door and a click of the lock, she was safe behind the wood. Loud roaring of wings soared down the hallway making it hard to hear anything in the room, but it felt like it was tiny. After fumbling around for a while, she hit her hand on a lamp and lit the thing up. The fire was dull in side the glass casing but what was laying on the ground was unmistakable. A chest, like Shield had found in the desert, only purple trimmed with gold around it and kind of small compared to hers. 

"A chest?! I found one!" She opened her message box and pulled up Shield's chat.

Hey! I just found a chest in a room when I went to hide. I read that they can be dangerous to open, so I'll hold onto it for you to open!

She took out a harness that she uses to carry Gaea Foundation and straps it around the chest to turn it into a locked backpack. She could probably stay here a little longer before moving on.

image.thumb.png.0b06b4026eeefbc7ca441599d853411b.png

Chest Found!

Edited by Shye

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP]

Action: Vengeful Riposte

[H:0/0/0] Shield: HP: 1850/1850 | EN: 166/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 18 - 2/2]

<<Elite Flying Monkey 1>>HP: 0/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35

<<The Witch>> HP113/700 | DMG: 100 (min 50) | MIT: 70 | EVA: 1 [ENV 2/4]

Witch attack vs. Shield - ID# 147192 results: MOB: 7+1=8 - Hit! - 100/2-181=1 dmg [THN - 99 dmg, Riposte - 100/2-70=1 dmg]

The sound of Shield's notifications chimed once again, and he opened the chat. "Ah, excellent!" he said, tapping his sword against the back of hit shield. Meanwhile, there came a loud screech overhead. Shield didn't bother to look up, because just as he had anticipated, the monkey that was baring down on his position burst like its brother, scattering shards of light into the air. Looking up at the witch, he saw her glaring at him, practically spitting with rage. "Just you left, huh?"

The hag shrieked and ran at him, clawing madly as she raged something about her 'favorite monkey.' Shield did not care much for her words. What he cared for, one another.however, was her health bar, and that dipped considerably as she swiped at him. As soon as she had felt the sting of her throns, she took out a bottle and took a deep swig. "Ha! Good luck catching me now, sonny!" she cackled, running her clawed fingers over one another. Shield ignored her.

Shye,

Keep right where you are if you can. I should be done with the wicked old witch very soon. I'll make short work of that lock when I get there.

Edited by Shield

The message box chimed when she was about to unlock the door. Thankfully, nothing was around to hear her jiggle the lock when she did it. She pulled her menu back open and looked to see what was going on with him. Stay where she was? He must be close to being done then. Would it be safe to remain in this closet though? Well, it was safer than behind that statue since she could keep the door locked and warn Shield if she was in trouble if someone tried to enter before teleporting. 

She rested the chest the she was carrying on the ground and took a seat on the wooden frame. Another minute or two was all it would take for him to finish up. Better send him a message to confirm the plan.

Alright. I'm sitting inside the closet where I found the chest It isn't too far from the stairs and I can just make my way back there when you get done. Just message me and I'll return to the foot of the staircase.

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs [Parry - 1/2 remaining] [Vengeful Riposte - 2/3 remaining]

[H:0/0/0] Shield: HP: 1800/1850 | EN: 167/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

<<Elite Flying Monkey 1>>HP: 0/220 | DMG: 90 (min 45) | MIT: 35

<<The Witch>> HP0/700 | DMG: 100 (min 50) | MIT: 70 | EVA: 1 [ENV 1/4]

Witch attack vs. Shield - ID# 147366 results: MOB: 8+1=9 - Hit! - 100-181=50 min dmg [THN - 99 dmg]

Shield's indifference to the witch's taunts seemed to be the last straw. She lunged, her spindly fingers and their long, sharp nails brandished like knives. She sank her claws into his chest. Immediately, her health plummeted. A look of horror overtook her features. "Not again..." She shattered, and the witch's sanctum finally fell silent. Shield accepted the quest rewards on behalf of both himself and Shye before turning on his heels and jogging to the trap door out.

Moments later, he was back at the bottom of the stairs. He cast about, looking for the closet and the statue that Shye had mentioned in her messages. Before he could properly get his bearings though, he heard a chorus of monkey chatter. "That must be the patrol she mentioned..." Shield rolled his eyes as they charged him. They bit and scratched and clawed, but it became clear these foes were spawned for Shye, not himself, as each of them shattered immediately upon striking him. In a matter of seconds, the threat that had been looming over Shye was gone. "Shye, the coast is clear," he said loudly, looking for where she was hiding.

Edited by Shield

The hallway was finally quiet. When Shield's voice called to the girl, there was a pause of silence, then the sounding a click behind one of the doors that slowly creaked open. The tank could see his companion's deep red hair peak out from the dark room while she inspected the area to ensure it was safe. Once she caught sight of Shield, the door opened up carefully, creaking to a close behind her. The chest that she had mentioned finding was strapped to her back.

"H-Hey. Glad to see you're okay. Do you need any healing?" She knew the answer to that question, but she still wanted to ask it to be sure. A slight worry peered in her eyes while she checked to make sure that he was alright. "Oh, here's that chest." Shye placed the wooden frame on the ground for her companion to take a look at. He would have a better time opening it than her.

@Shield

Spoiler

Opening Chest - ID# 147434 results: Loot: 8+7=15 [Using Multipurpose housing bonus] 15+1=16

• [16-20] = 3,300 Col, 8 T3 materials, 1 perfect T3 armor/shield, 2 rare T3 consumables

Total Loot

3,300 Col
8 T3 Materials
Perfect Armor/Shields
[147434a]
Rare Consumables
[147434b] [147434c]

"I'm more than okay," Shield said, holding up a hand to politely decline the offer. "I'm sorry that took so long. Grinding combat as a solo tank is time consuming." With that, he held out a small potion vial for Shye. "Here's the quest item. I already have mine in storage. Now, let's see to this chest and get out of here." He knelt over the container, fishing out the ring of golden keys from the back of his belt. He selected one and held it out. It vanished with the chime of thing, brightly toned metal, like gold coins or a silver bell. In its place, a small deluge of glittering, gold dust traced downward through the air was was gone.

With a clanking of heavy hinges, the lid of the chest popped slightly open, and a readout of the items within displayed on the screen. "Looks like there's some armor in there. That's mainly what I hunt chests for. If I take that, you're more than welcome to the Col and materials. There are also some third tier consumables in here if you have any need of that, though they're not exactly cheap to have identified."

Edited by Shield

Chelsea watched as Shield popped open the lid of the chest, the contents looked a little better than average and she had helped him find something that he said he might use so that was nice at least. She helped fight enemies, successfully hid from detection and was able to sniff out a chest in the process! Perhaps she wasn't that bad of a traveling companion. Shield was right when he said being afraid is useful. If she was fearless, she might have tried to take on that horde of enemies and died getting over zealous.

The contents were nice and Shield would allow her to have the remaining items from the chest. Great! She reached over and accepted all the items that Shield was leaving to her and smiled at him. "Yay, maybe I'm not all that useless! I'm glad that I was able to find something like a chest all on my own! And I was able to completely evade combat. Don't the front lines have something called scouts? They look for the boss room and explore new floors, right? Maybe I should looking into joining them when I reach a decent enough level."

@Shield

"You need to eliminate the word 'useless' from your vocabulary when you talk about yourself," Shield said, softly, but with the subtlest of edges behind it. "Even if said as a joke, you do eventually start believing the things you say on some level, so if you say it like it's true, you'll start to manifest it." He stood and made for the exit. "That being said, there's no shame in picking up a few scouting skills along the way," he went on. "There have been some great scouts that came before you. I think with most people though, with your build, you have the capability of doing one thing really well and another thing pretty well. It's being able to make those things work together that makes you great."

"My build is the product of the line of thinking," he said, giving a subtle little nod. "My main focus, as you have seen, is to be as good as possible at taking punishment so that my teammates can stay alive." The woods surrounded them on all sides, but now that the witch and her minions were taken care of, the whole place seemed much more pleasant. "What other role is focused on keeping the other players alive? The support. So I've fleshed out my defense, knowing I wouldn't be able to also go full offense, with other means of buffing and healing those who need it." Shield was in teacher mode now, and he continued to talk with Shye, making their way back to town.

[QUEST REWARDS]

[Shield]

3 SP
+1 CD Potion
Perfect T3 Armor/Shields

[147434a]

[Shye]

6 SP
+1 CD Potion
4,100 Col
8 T3 Materials
Rare Consumables