[F01-SP] <<The First Few Lessons are Free>> - Freyd

The screech came from above.  How the hell did get above him?!  Freyd's weary arms turned just in time, dealing it a glancing blow and forcing the Lure to scramble back into the darkness.  It tosses debris at him , as if to declare its frustration over the fact that he hadn't fallen yet.

"The feeling is mutual, buddy," he  jibed back.  "Now, get back over here so that we can end this already."

"What's going on in here?  I thought I heard someone scream?"

Freyd blinked as the watched a young boy, probably about twelve, enter the alley.  He was an NPC, by his icon.  What kind of sick mind creates an encounter like this, where child NPCs wander into dark alleys to get devoured by monsters?  Judged through the lens of his own predicament, he knew the answer.

"Get behind me, boy!"  Freyd stepped forward, placing himself between the child and Lure.  

Spoiler

image.png.bbf293bd8b05563948fcda1bd1514808.png

[2] Freyd: 65/80 | 0/8 (-1) | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I  -> EN +1

[0] Dark Lure: 28/40 (-4) | DMG: 12 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The boy screamed as the Lure emerged from the shadows.  Freyd couldn't quite get a good angle on the attack and had to throw himself in the way, taking the hit on his shoulder to spare the poor kid from pain.  The Lure howled at being denied its favorite meal.

His colder half suggested using the boy as a distraction and making a break for it.  It was just an NPC, after all, and had likely died a thousand thousand deaths in this scenario since the dawn of the game.  What would it matter if it did again?  This was a useful opportunity.  Why waste it?

"No," he answered his own dark impulses.  What would it mean for his own soul if he was willing to take that approach?  What shredded remnant of his humanity would emerge, even if he did survive this world?  It wasn't worth it.  It could never be.

Spoiler

image.png.acfd534c59b6cbeaa6f327eac70c6be6.png

[2] Freyd: 58/80 (-7) | 0/8 (-1) | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I  -> EN +1

[0] Dark Lure: 28/40 | DMG: 12 

"MINE!!!"  it screeched again, this time meaning the boy.

Freyd's features darkened, letting a bit of that cold side peer through, but marshaled for better intent.

"Never."

The white blade pierced the thing's chest clean through, bursting out from its back and splattering ivory gore on the alley walls.  Some of it sprayed on the collected children's skulls - the twisted things trophies.  It continued to writhe and wail, scratching and biting at him in despair.  Freyd's eyes merely watched its health bar deplete, bit by bit.  He wasn't savouring it.  This felt more like balancing the scales, even if only infinitesimally.  He held his sword firm.  Twisting it would only prove him a sadist.  The deed was done.  It was just a matter of time.

Behind him, his ward's eyes were like saucers and his face blanched at the horrific scene, and notion of the fate it had just avoided dawned over it.  

Spoiler

image.png.89791aacee5798b0a36dc79fadc58cbf.png

[2] Freyd: 58/80 | 0/8 (-1) | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I  -> EN +1 

[0] Dark Lure: 8/40 (-20) | DMG: 12 -> Bleed 12 for 1 more round

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Realizing its end was near, the doomed creature pushed itself forward, impaling itself further on the blade.  Its fetid breath flowed across Freyd's unflinching face as it tried desparately to strike him one last time and failed.  It burst into luminous shard and vanished an instant later. 

Freyd slumped forward, leaning heavily against his blade for support.  That had been an exhausting slog.  After a few moments, he turned to look at the boy he'd saved.  Wyran, his nameplate said.  

"Tha..." the kid took a moment to un-swallow his tongue, "Thank you!"  His face was still as white as Forgiven Disobedience, but he wasn't dead.  Not this time, at least.

"You're welcome, kid."  A small smile curled the edge of Freyd's lips. 

"Thank you for coming to my rescue."  He placed a hand on the boy's shoulder.  "You were very brave."

Wyran smiled, a bit of colour restored.  He nodded, then raced away, back in the direction whence he'd come.

Spoiler

image.png.86a4bc8f352bd84fd1a0c2dae0d81bf8.png

[2] Freyd: 58/80 | 1/8 | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I  -> EN +1 

[0] Dark Lure: 0/40 (-12) | DMG: 12 -> dies of bleed damage 

image.png.cf1fb3c02582c5e07582119efd3b261f.png

Rewards

120 col

LD Odd: (2) T1 bonus materials

CD Odd:(2) T1 bonus materials

1 x T1 Rare Trinket

Freyd arrived at Lyle's smithy a few minutes later.

"I have a care package for you, Master Blacksmith," he said, "courtesy of Alchemist Zackariah.  I hope it suits your needs."  He still felt winded and leaned against one of the soot-covered, heavy timber columns supporting the shelter's roof.  A pair of small robins scattered from their nest, above, as he did so.

"Excellent," bellowed the smith over the rhythmic fall of his hammer as it worked some indeterminate, red-hot piece of steel on the anvil before him.  He picked up the piece with a pair of heavy black tongs, his thick, salt and pepper mustache rustling its approval.

"If you're good enough to work for the alchemist, maybe you'd consider doing me a favour as well?"

Freyd genuinely smiled.  

"I suppose that depends on the terms," he said. There would be no opportunity to haggle, but that didn't really bother him anymore.  It was time he let himself slip into character, now that he had a better idea who he was.

"What are you offering?"

Spoiler

Quest Rewards:

SP: 40+ posts (2); Event (1); Quest (2) = 5 SP
5 x T1 Health Potions of Rare quality. (+40 HP)
1 x T1 Damage Potion of Uncommon quality. (+1 Damage)
1 x T1 Over-Health Potion of Special quality. (+50 HP to maximum HP for remainder of thread)

Loot from Truffle Boar #1 (aka Bacon Bits 1.0) - (ID#152222):

120 Col
1 x T1 Rare Consumable
1 x T1 Rare Weapon
4 x T1 materials

Loot from Truffle Boar #2 (aka Bacon Bits 2.0) - (ID#152240):

320 Col
1 x T1 Rare trinket

Loot from Treasure Chest (Find ID#152241, Loot ID#152242): 

150 Col
8 x T1 materials
1 x T1 perfect armor/shield