[F19-PP] Lesson One: <<Keep Calm and Ki'Raion>>

<<Keep Calm and Ki'Raion>>

Always a sucker for delving into the unknown, NIGHT pulled herself out of bed one afternoon, having sent her guildmate a message.

Spoiler

To: @Bahr

guess im finding you now
target on floor 19? 30min

For once, she'd joined her doppel at the dining table for a meal. It'd shaken her Gemini a tad, sleepy violet eyes matched with wide horrified blues, but it seemed as though the blond was appreciative nonetheless. Sunny smiles met muted, suppressed smirks as NIGHT dug into the serving of an omelette; diced peppers and minced meat. Even if the woman wasn't capable of the sight of a dagger, at least she was able to watch the pan and crack an egg with relative capability.

More surprises for the player that day. She'd slipped in a teleport crystal alone into her pockets, taking in the fact that her jacket hadn't felt this light since forever. While she had a target to track down in mind, her curiosity laid more in what the crimson warrior had in mind when he'd emphasized technique, skill. For competitors of their calibre, Sword Arts were basically second nature by now. Surely there wasn't some secret third-level maneuver that would boost their concentration in battle or anything... right?

-- It was at that moment she'd completely recalled obtaining the skill from DAY in the first place. And to think, in all her buffs she'd forgotten about it. Maybe, NIGHT thought, as she stepped onto the teleporter three minutes before their meeting time, Bahr had much more of a point than she'd realize.

Even if this outing is more of an experiment for me than it is giving into anything...

Nothing but gear to enhance her stats. Ralberg was a fanciful, decent settlement, unlike the swamps of their fishing lake prior. NIGHT decided to relax under the site of a shady tree, a glance away from the main arrival point to the floor. If anything, she just hoped she hadn't missed the man's arrival and wandering, nor leave had she taken too long.

But-- nah, she probably hadn't.

Right?

Y8KUauY.png

NIGHT
  | HP: 1085/1085 | EN: 104/104
  | ACC: 3 | DMG: 19 | EVA: 2 | MIT: 99 | LD: 3
  | BURN: 36 | BLIGHT: 72 | BLEED: 36
  | Stealth Detection: 3

- - -
[Examine]

[Equipment]

• Jack's Executioner
    -- [ Burn I | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 36 unmitigated burn damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. This effect does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
    -- [ Blight II | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 72 unmitigated blight damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. This effect does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
    -- [ Bleed I | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 36 unmitigated bleed damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. This effect does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
  • Reinforced Steel Plate Armor
    -- [ Mitigation III | +81 MIT. ]
  • Silver Crescent Necklace
    -- [ Accuracy II | +2 ACC ]
    -- [ Evasion II | +2 EVA ]

[Battle-Ready Inventory]

• [T1E3] Teleport Crystal (1) -- [ Teleport | Use a post action to teleport the player to the town or designated teleportation area they specify. ]

Skills

Skills

Mod Count: 4/5

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
    Ferocity, Precision, Finesse
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 3/5 
    > Athletics
  3. Searching | Passive | RANK 3/5

[Extra]

• Survival | Passive 
  • Concentration | Active -- CD: 3
  • Familiar Mastery: Fighter | Passive | RANK 3/3

Misc. Buffs

Spoiler
  • Dimensional Backpack, Item Stash
    | +2 Battle-Ready Inventory Slots.
  • Well Rested
    | -1 EN for the first three expenditures of each combat. 
  • Col Stash
    | +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests. 
  • Relaxed
    | +(5 * Tier) HP per out-of-combat post. Full energy restoration occurs after two turns out of combat.
  • Squeaky Clean
    | -25% DoT damage taken from the first DoT applied to this player in a thread.
  • Filling
    | +1 T1 slot to a food consumed by this player in a thread. Can exceed Cook enhancement caps.

Spoiler

STATS
LEVEL - 63
HP - 1290
EN - 126
DMG - 19
MIT - 106
ACC - 2
EVA - 1
BATTLE HEALING - 64
HEAVY MOMENTUM 2
LIGHT MOMENTUM 1

HOME BUFFS
» WELL RESTED
      -1 EN FOR THE FIRST THREE TURNS OF COMBAT
» RELAXED
      +15 TO OUT OF COMBAT HP REGENERATION
      FULL ENERGY REGENERATION AFTER TWO POSTS OUT OF COMBAT
» SQUEAKY CLEAN
      REDUCE INCOMING DOT DAMAGE BY 25% FOR FIRST INCOMING DOT INFLICTED IN THREAD
» FILLING
      INCREASE EFFECTIVENESS OF A SINGLE CONSUMED FOOD ITEM IN A THREAD BY +1 T1 SLOT
» ITEM STASH
      +1 BATTLE-READY INVENTORY SLOT
» DELICIOUS
      COMBINE 3 IDENTICAL FOOD ITEMS INTO A FEAST ONCE PER THREAD
» SKYLIGHT EXTENDED MOD LIMIT
      EXTENDED MOD LIMITEXPERTISE INCREASE BY 1
» ANGLER
      +1 MATERIAL GAINED WHILE FISHING
» MULTIPURPOSE
      GAIN +1 TO LD, STEALTH RATING, STEALTH DETECTION, OR PROSPERITY TO ONE POST IN A THREAD
      CAN BE APPLIED AFTER THE ROLL
» DECOR: <<SPOOKY AMENITY>>
      REDUCE INCOMING DOT DAMAGE BY 5% FOR FIRST INCOMING DOT INFLICTED IN THREAD

SKILLS

NON-COMBAT SKILLS
» EXTENDED MOD LIMIT R1 >>> R2 WITH SKYLIGHT BUFF

PASSIVE
      ALLOWS FOR THE USE OF ONE 1 >>> 2 ADDITIONAL MODS
» 
FISHING

COMBAT SKILLS
» PARRY

POST ACTION
      REDUCE FINAL DAMAGE OF NEXT ATTACK AGAINST YOU BY 50% (ROUNDED DOWN) AND NEGATES STUN/PARALYSIS EFFECT OF THAT ATTACK
           COOLDOWN: 2 TURNS
» BATTLE HEALING R5

PASSIVE
      WHILE IN COMBAT, USER HEALS FOR 5% (62 HP) OF THEIRMAX HP EACH TURN

EXTRA SKILLS
» DISGUISE

FREE ACTION
      +1 EVA UNTIL START OF YOUR NEXT TURN
           COOLDOWN: 3 TURNS
» 
MEDITATION

POST ACTION
      RECOVER AN ADDITIONAL 15 ENERGY - GETTING HIT BY AN ATTACK BEFORE YOUR NEXT TURN REDUCES ADDITIONAL ENERGY RECOVERY TO 9

WEAPON SKILLS
» TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD R5

+7 DMG WHEN TWO-HANDED WEAPON IS EQUIPPED

ARMOR SKILLS
» LIGHT ARMOR R5

+25 MIT

MODS
» LIGHT ARMOR MOD: ATHLETICS

PASSIVE
      +1 DMG WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
      +30 HP WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
»
 LIGHT ARMOR MOD: SPRINT & ACROBATICS

PASSIVE
      +1 EVA WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
»
 PARRY MOD: JUSTIFIED RIPOSTE

POST ACTION: COMBINE WITH PARRY
      SUCCESSFUL PARRY STUNS OPPONENT
»
 WEAPON MOD: PRECISION

PASSIVE
      +1 ACC
»
 WEAPON MOD: TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD FEROCITY

PASSIVE
     ➥ +1 DMG WHEN USING 2HSS SWORD ARTS
» WEAPON MOD: TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD FINESSE R3

PASSIVE
      REDUCES THE EN COST OF TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD SWORD ARTS BY 3
» BATTLE HEALING MOD: EMERGENCY RECOVERY

PASSIVE
      WHEN PLAYER WOULD SUFFER NON-LETHAL DAMAGE THAT PUTS THEM BELOW 25% HP, HEAL 10% HP AFTER THE ATTACK RESOLVES
      CAN ONLY OCCUR ONCE PER THREAD

EQUIPMENT

WEAPON
» [EQUIPPED] "BLINKSTRIKE" - TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD (T3 - PERFECT)
     ➥ +1 ACC
     ➥ BLEED
           36 UNMITIGATED DAMAGE DELIVERED FOR NEXT TWO TURNS ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 9 OR HIGHER
     ➥ BURN
          ➥ 36 UNMITIGATED DAMAGE DELIVERED FOR NEXT TWO TURNS ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 9 OR HIGHER

ARMOR
» [EQUIPPED] "COAT OF THE CRIMSON CRUSADER" - LIGHT ARMOR (T3 - PERFECT)
      +54 MIT
      LIGHT MOMENTUM 1

» [EQUIPPED] "SERPENT'S STEP" - HEAVY ARMOR (T3 - PERFECT)
      HEAVY MOMENTUM 2
      +27 MIT

FAMILIAR
» [EQUIPPED] SWINE BAJESUS R3
     ➥ +9 DMG

Huh.

Bahr was already on Floor 19. What a coincidence.

Thirty minutes he'd have to wait? Seemed like a long time. There were only, like, forty-eight half-hours in a day. And a good sixteen of those were spent sleeping. Seemed like a waste to just putz around for one of them.

Hmm...

- - - 

By the time NIGHT had arrived, Bahr was... somewhere, fighting what looked like a human husk. He'd attacked one, and as he was fighting that one two more appeared, and as he fought those, four came out of the woodwork. He'd been fighting the horde for the past half an hour while slowly backtracking down the mountain, praying that when he met with the stony edifice's base, he might be relinquished from the ambush. As only one remained, it seemed as though his hunch had been correct. Which was really convenient, because not only was he late, he was starving.

Splick! Forgotten down.

- - -

"Sorry I'm late!" Bahr called out as he waved from afar, running toward who he assumed was NIGHT resting under a tree not far off. But, of course, his mind was running faster than his feet, and somewhere along the way they got caught up in one another and he tumbled. At this point, Bahr had more or less gotten used to the idea that his face could double as a sled, and with proper diligence, he could use it to his advantage when such a situation occurred (as they often did). As his feet flew backward from under him, he voluntarily pitched his face forward and rode the grass to his stopped point right in front of NIGHT.

As embarrassing as it was, at least he hadn't run into her. He peeled his face off of the ground and blinked a couple times before leaning back and sitting cross-legged from her about a foot away, shaking the dirt out of his hair before locking eyes with his companion. "It's the plant-dinosaur-lion thing, right?" Bahr inquired with both excitement and intensity. "Had my eye on it for awhile. I think we could do some serious damage."

Sooo-- this was an everyday occurrence to the man, it seemed? Watching Bahr expertly take a tumble to the floor, rolling, before stopping his momentum by punting his face to the dirt, NIGHT could only watch in horror the performance brought to her on this fine midday, the (once) intimidating man brought to nothing but a pile of red, black and white several centimetres away from her.

He'd gotten better at stopping himself at least, if her memory served her correctly.

"I mean, you could call it that?" The way the crimson mess had described it, Ki'Raion sounded a lot less... cute? than her original inspections had made it out to be. She'd originally pinned it down for a big fluffy cat, though it was because of this that she'd preferred someone else to tag along. Because Cardinal help her if she went ballistic over the sight of such an adorable creature once again. "Serious damage... if you say so. It'll be at the height of its power too, given that we're tackling it in the day."

"-- Err, no buffs from me, though." NIGHT felt compelled to declare it to her companion, especially after the last discussion they'd had on the docks. Ideally, with two players doubling down on damage output, she could see where Bahr's perspective had come from. Most of the time however she was out in the field with Yuki. Things going down quick for her meant things staying safe for her friend. "Were you out hunting on the floor? I'd expected you to have come from the teleporter, actually. Out scouting for the--" kitty! "--sun-beast thing?"

@Bahr

"-- Err, no buffs from me, though."

Bahr grinned as the words left her lips. So she had been listening.

"Were you out hunting on the floor? I'd expected you to have come from the teleporter, actually. Out scouting for the -- sun-beast thing?"

"Err, no, not exactly," he admitted as he palmed the back of his head and gave it a nervous rub. "I was actually checking out some of the Forgotten on the floor. Basically human husk things. They're not really that strong, but if you're not careful, you might end up with a lot of them on your hands." Bahr dropped his hands a fell silent for a moment, contemplating what to say next. "I think that this might be an enlightening experience for you. What with no buffs. You'll get to see a bit of the real you come out, and not the system-assisted version."

That was the hope, anyway.

"Do you have any idea where it is? I haven't looked into the quest much, aside from the fact that the mob kinda looks like a chick magnet. Can you imagine a Familiar-sized version of it? Lessa
would go crazy." Not like Swine Bajesus didn't have that effect on her, anyways. "If you know where to go, feel free to take the lead."

Mobs from the tenth seemingly on the nineteenth? That was new, though NIGHT hadn't been around their current floor much. She nodded at the knowledge of their presence, before Bahr managed to speak up about her decision to head into combat clean.

Truthfully she didn't exactly understand his position just yet.

"Aren't sword arts still theoretically a form of system assistance?" NIGHT formed a wry smile, hesitancy still made visible on her expression. She shook her head soon afterwards, dismissing her apparent objection. "It was a joke." Partially, at least. "But I'll see what you mean with time, I suppose."

She'd begun leading the two over towards the east. Somewhere there was a forest, apparently, but her directions on the floor were mostly questionable. But she was still certain they would get there in time. If Ki'Raion's territory was as vast as her informant had told her, it would come to them, rather than they stumbling upon it first.

"I haven't looked into the quest much, aside from the fact that the mob kinda looks like a chick magnet."

--Chick magnet?

"Can you imagine a Familiar-sized version of it? Lessa would go crazy." 

NIGHT's ears seemed to burn, guilty grin plastered across her face. Though she'd never seen how Lessa might've reacted to things adorable big and small, surely she wasn't as hampered in a fight just as much as NIGHT reportedly had been after her last encounter with a puma. Right?

A nervous laugh, the player looking away, pretending to scan their environment for signs of their destination. Nothing but dry, muted plains, quarries and rubble for days, the woodland a small clump of brighter greens in the distance. "Definitely. ...Not-- that I would know, of course..."

@Bahr

She was acting weird. This was weird. 

"Alright, time to go," Bahr exhaled as he hoisted himself to his feet, offering a hand to help NIGHT up as well. Once she was standing, he pretended to scan the area to plot a course. He settled on a random direction - east - and began moving that way without another word. Assuming that NIGHT was following along behind him, he picked up the meat of their conversation where it had left off.

"Yeah, Sword Arts are definitely a form of system assistance," he began, cupping the back of his head in both hands as they moseyed along. "You do have an element of control over them though. You may have noticed that I slowed down a Sword Art while we were fighting those fish the other day - the extended longevity of the attack allowed me to hit both targets. If I'd just let the system do its thing, the action would have been executed too quickly. Had I held back too much, it would have just canceled the action altogether."

"The problem in relying on things like buffs and the natural motion of Sword Arts too much,"
 he explained, "is that then you may develop a proclivity to rely purely on the system as opposed to splashing in your own style, technique, and wit. So when the time comes when the system itself isn't nuanced enough, and you need to fall back on your own personally developed skills, they might fall flat. Then you're in real trouble."

Very suddenly, Bahr crouched and dashed to the side, taking cover behind a nearby moss-covered rock. "Target ahead," he practically whispered, pointing to the beast on the horizon. If he were being honest, he hadn't thought they would actually find it as quickly as they had. It was admittedly a lot bigger than he had been expecting. Fluffier, too. Just look at it. He could run his hands through that baby for days and still not get tired of the way it felt, probably.

Total chick magnet.

"Here, let's try this," he started as he unsheathed Blinkstrike, peeling his eyes away from their prey and back to his companion. "The people I've talked to have said this thing is pretty ornery. Think relying on the system assist will check out?" He wiggled his brow mischievously. "Let's find out."

He emerged from behind the boulder and charged as the creature had its back turned, Blinkstrike whining as scarlet light poured into it. The sound of a Sword Art activating tipped off the creature, who instinctively swung its tail in a wide arc to disrupt Bahr's approach. One way or another, Bahr managed to catch the swipe with his blade and prevent direct damage from reaching him - but it didn't stop the inertia of the blow from sending him hurtling back. He caught on his ankles, braced himself, and slip until he reached a stop. 

As much as he wanted to extrapolate this into a full fledged teaching moment, he knew that now wasn't the time. Ki'Raion was on to them now, having turned to face its hunters. They wouldn't have time for a good chat until it had met its maker. 

"Attack deflected; no love. All you, NIGHT." 

Spoiler

[H: 0] Bahr: HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 126-1=125/126 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1
[H: 0] NIGHT: HP: 1085/1085 | EN: 104/104 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 36 | BLIGHT: 72 | BLEED: 36 | LD: 3

Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-1 EN FOR MISS ("Well Rested" House Buff reduces EN expenditure by 1.)
Heavy Momentum gains a stack (1): +6 DMG TO NEXT SUCCESSFUL ATTACK
Light Momentum gains a stack (1): +1 ACC TO NEXT SUCCESSFUL ATTACK

Ki'Raion: HP: 850/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | ID: 154175 | BD: 4+2-2=4, Miss 

No little wonder that Oscar had trained her as such back in the guild hall. She'd chalked it up at the time that techniques, big and small, sword arts or positioning otherwise had been solely for the sake of PvP scenarios. Easily, while they had their placements in entity-based combat, it seemed that this was what Bahr had focused his energies on perfecting.

NIGHT was at least able to get that much of the gist. She nodded when the man had brought up his singular, well-timed strike on the docks where she could have seen it. The better question for her to digest afterwards was if she'd be able to execute on them, just as reliably as her accomplice had suggested. After all, the woman was clumsy -- it was embarrassing to admit, she knew that, but she had to be honest with herself when it came to life-and-death techniques. And no sooner than as Bahr charged forth to showcase what he'd meant did she realize that the man was equally as clumsy.

What a revelation.

After having taken enough falls that he'd know to stop himself with a face slide, NIGHT was a little eager if not determined to try her hand at min-maxing her own movements if she could help it. I mean, she wasn't as likely to trip as her accomplice was. Surely she'd be able to do it just as well as he could. Right?

NIGHT truly wished that, watching Bahr manage to bring up his blade right at the end of his art, quick enough to defend his form, protecting his health gauge from taking damage. Attack well deflected indeed. The parry was as easy a move to start as any, and NIGHT had done it before -- unreliably, of course. Maybe this time it'd be different for her. She returned a nod to her casual ally, along with a thumbs up. "Gotcha, I can take it from here."

Big whoop. In truth, NIGHT ran simply ran in without a fraction of a plan. While her sword was able to build up a bright white glow, she'd spotted the fussy lion's tail coming into view from the corner of her eye. And it was so, incredibly fluffy.

So while her having gotten her strike in could probably count for something, when she was attacked by a paw batted from the other direction, she'd staggered just enough so that the boss was able to combo her right back with a whip of its tail, sending her sliding towards the two's hiding spot. A sad, dry hiss from the sound of grass underneath her giving way was her accompaniment and fanfare, a doubled choir of congratulations for at least making an attempt this time.

Okay, so she wasn't ready to get into lesson two just yet. But lesson one had only just begun. She would have time to practice.

"On... on you...!"

Spoiler

ID: 154183 | BD: 8 (7, +3 -2)
<<Galaxy Destroyer>> vs Ki'Raion.
19 * 13 = 247 DMG | 247 - 100 = 147 DMG

ID: 154184 | BD: 3 | MD: 8 (7, +3 2)
Ki'Raion attacks NIGHT!
175 - 99 = 76 DMG

Ki'Raion | HP: 703/850 (-147) | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | TAIL SWIPE | VENUS FLY TRAP | PHOTOSYNTHESIZE

[1] NIGHT | HP: 1009/1085 (-76) | EN: 95/104 (-9) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: 36 | BLGT: 72 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3
[0] Bahr | HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 125/126 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1

TAIL SWIPE: On BD 9-10, MD 1-5, 150 AoE to all party members on top of normal attack on player with the most hate.
VENUS FLY TRAP: On BD 9-10, MD 6-10, player with most hate is trapped in Ki'Raion's floral mane. 150 DMG on top of normal attack, 100 DMG extra for each turn they are trapped. Freed when Ki'Raion takes 200 DMG from then or when another player achieves greater hate. Trapped player can still attack.
PHOTOSYNTHESIZE: Every second attack, gain 150 DMG.

As Bahr watched NIGHT slide on her back toward him, he couldn't help but crack a wry grin. Had her health dipped further, there may have been genuine concern. But as far as he could tell, she'd barely been scratched. He considered giving her a brief lecture about awareness, and what to do and what not to do in relation to the system assist, but the creature would be upon them before too long if they remained stationary. Given NIGHT's downed state, that wouldn't be good.

So instead, he offered her a nod. "Right," he affirmed before taking off toward the creature, Blinkstrike drawn, humming hungrily as Bahr drowned it in crimson light. Ki'Raion, who'd seen Bahr straightforward approach only moments before, anticipated his actions and turned to swipe and the red smear with its tail. But, at the last moment, Bahr canceled the Sword Art.

It was a feint!

Using the system to his advantage, Bahr had created a scenario wherein rather than having the system lock him into a set series of motions, he had prompted his enemy to do so. Locked into its attack, Ki'Raion could neither stop nor react as Bahr launched over the appendage, rocketed through the air toward it, charged up his blade once more, then sank it deep into the creature's neck. It wailed in agony and recoiled in response, Bahr narrowly managing to retrieve his sliver of steel and kick off of the monster before being swept up into its frenzy.

"It's frenetic!" Bahr called back over his shoulder. "Get creative. Find a way to capitalize!"

Spoiler

[H: 1] Bahr: HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 125+1-9=117/126 | DMG: 25 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1
[H: 1] NIGHT: HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 95/104 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 36 | BLIGHT: 72 | BLEED: 36 | LD: 3

Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-9 EN ("Well Rested" House Buff reduces EN expenditure by 1.)
Heavy Momentum stack expended (1): +6 DMG
Light Momentum stack expended (1): +1 ACC

Ki'Raion: HP: 703-225=478/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | ID: 154248 | BD: 6+3-2=7, Hit for 25x13=325-100=225 DMG

NIGHT had sat up quick enough to watch her companion burst towards the lion after having whisked away his initial attack. One bound, a quick strike and a bounce backwards left the big baby kitty tackling and pouncing at empty space.

Find a way to capitalize? "A little easier said than done there...!"

The novice scrambled to her feet, wondering if she should lunge herself at the boss once again. As she took the moment to regrip her sword and allow their target to regain its reactive nature, NIGHT glanced around her environment, trying to find something, anything that might help.

... Bahr was standing right there. And didn't he just hit the boss last? Maybe--

She started forth, keeping an eye on the beast's peripherals. If only it hadn't immediately followed up on its missed attack with a side-step of its own. Just as NIGHT swerved out of its way to avoid its aggressive charge, she'd willed her blade to life; one hand sweeping the sword in a horizontal manner, the other pressed firmly to the ground to keep herself aloft when she'd ducked.

No dice for the woman. The flames of her sword art seemed to drift away from her missed strike in dissatisfaction when they'd failed to connect with the lion's raised hind legs. NIGHT spun herself in place as she came to a stop, watching her mentor take the lead with their dance. As easily as Bahr had managed to land a hit, his proficiency at dodging seemed to mirror through. A rough bite forth, Ki'Raion's head pushed forward in an obvious butting maneuver, and the little meow meow had trapped nothing but air in its jaw.

@Bahr

Spoiler

ID: 154381 | BD: 2 (1, +3 -2)
NIGHT missed!

ID: 154382 | MD: 5 (3, +3 -1)
Ki'Raion missed!

Ki'Raion | HP: 478/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | 
TAIL SWIPE | VENUS FLY TRAP | PHOTOSYNTHESIZE

[1] NIGHT | HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 94/104 (+1, -2) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: 36 | BLGT: 72 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3
[1] Bahr | HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 117/126 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1

TAIL SWIPE: On BD 9-10, MD 1-5, 150 AoE to all party members on top of normal attack on player with the most hate.
VENUS FLY TRAP: On BD 9-10, MD 6-10, player with most hate is trapped in Ki'Raion's floral mane. 150 DMG on top of normal attack, 100 DMG extra for each turn they are trapped. Freed when Ki'Raion takes 200 DMG from then or when another player achieves greater hate. Trapped player can still attack.
PHOTOSYNTHESIZE: Every second attack, gain 150 DMG.

Despite the miss, NIGHT had just proven her potential for growth to Bahr. By maneuvering her body into a more advantageous position and keeping her attack sharp and swift rather than large and clumsy, she’d poised herself for a perfect strike. It was by the reaction of their target that she missed rather than hit, but she hadn’t done anything wrong. Sometimes you could do everything right, and still not get the result you wanted. The important thing was that she had made it away unscathed. 

He flashed her grin in recognition of her accomplishment, but it was short lived as the beast was now retaliating. Filled with chagrin from the damage it had just sustained, it chose to instead target Bahr this time, going for a direct approach with its teeth rather than a swiping strike with its tail. Opting for a more precise attack indicated that now it was personal - exactly the way Bahr liked it. 

Blinkstrike ignited and leapt forth to intercept the rows of jagged teeth, the clash resonating back through the blade and up Bahr’s arm. He hadn’t managed to inflict any damage against the creature, but at least it had failed to deliver any to him as well. They struggled there for a moment, blade grinding against teeth with a sickening metallic hiss before Bahr finally gained the advantage and thrusted Blinkstrike upward. Ki’Raion followed suit, its maw pitched toward the heavens in accordance with the Crimson Marauder’s might. 

"Now’s your chance!”

Spoiler

[H: 1] Bahr: HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 117+1-1=117/126 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1
[H: 1] NIGHT: HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 94/104 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 36 | BLIGHT: 72 | BLEED: 36 | LD: 3

Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-1 EN FOR MISS ("Well Rested" House Buff reduces EN expenditure by 1.)
Heavy Momentum gained a stack (1): +6 DMG TO NEXT SUCCESSFUL ATTACK
Light Momentum gained a stack (1): +1 ACC TO NEXT SUCCESSFUL ATTACK

Ki'Raion: HP: 478/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | ID: 154383 | BD: 3+2-2=3, Miss

Talk about unpredictable indeed.

She'd kept an eye on their surroundings whilst she'd watched, taking off right when Bahr locked Blinkstrike into its maw. Her feet had even gone so far as to carry her to higher ground, NIGHT utilizing the rock they'd hid behind earlier to help position herself mid-air, where she was less than likely to be hit, and more likely to land one as long as it stayed still. Her aid's counterattack guided the beast's head up into the air -- she hadn't expected that, but a bit of turning her body sideways, form pushing forward, and she was certain she'd be able to strike it with an arc.

Now, quick question. Has anyone ever seen a lion pull off a somersault? Because now, both NIGHT and Bahr had. The former wasn't too happy about it.

"--You're kidding...!?"

In a shocking reprisal, Ki'Raion backflipped from its teetered position, tail whipping around the field in a crazed swing. Watching the tuft fly, NIGHT brought her blade up enough to defend herself from it's blow, the force nudging her off in a direction to the distance. Her descent was quick, but relatively safe -- once her hand and feet were on the ground, it only took a few seconds for the woman to come to a stop.

On the other hand, the lion was quicker to recover. Had it always been this adept at maneuvering its form, flexible like a soft and squishy ragdoll? In three bounding strides it'd close the distance towards Bahr, diving in for a swipe matched with another nip.

@Bahr

Spoiler

ID: 154384 | BD: 3 (2, +3 -2)
NIGHT missed!

ID: 154385 | MD: 6 (4, +3 -1)
Ki'Raion attacks Bahr!
175 - 106 = 69 DMG

Ki'Raion | HP: 478/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | TAIL SWIPE | VENUS FLY TRAP | PHOTOSYNTHESIZE

[1] NIGHT | HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 93/104 (+1, -2) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: 36 | BLGT: 72 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3
[1] Bahr | HP: 1221/1290 (-69) | EN: 117/126 | DMG: 25 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1

TAIL SWIPE: On BD 9-10, MD 1-5, 150 AoE to all party members on top of normal attack on player with the most hate.
VENUS FLY TRAP: On BD 9-10, MD 6-10, player with most hate is trapped in Ki'Raion's floral mane. 150 DMG on top of normal attack, 100 DMG extra for each turn they are trapped. Freed when Ki'Raion takes 200 DMG from then or when another player achieves greater hate. Trapped player can still attack.

Wow, deja vu. 

Though the circumstances were different, they didn’t “feel” different. Yet again, they’d both failed to attack the beast. And while, mechanically, this was indistinguishable from the turn before, the circumstances for the misses were quite extraordinary. 

The damn thing was doing flips. 

Flips, somersaults, and all manner of acrobatic sh*t. Things a beast of its size had no business doing. Bahr doubted one even his own ability to emulate the complexities of the moves it was pulling off. If he were being honest he was a little intimidated (and jealous).

The creature was in fact so agile that Bahr, despite his effort, was unable to track it well enough to land a successful hit. "Wow,” he exhaled as he took a step back and placed a hand on his hip, admiring Ki’Raion’s exclusive dance party. "Son of a bitch. The kid can really do it.”

Spoiler

[H: 1] Bahr: HP: 1221+63+24=1290/1290 | EN: 117+1-2=116/126 | DMG: 25 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1
[H: 1] NIGHT: HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 93/104 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 36 | BLIGHT: 72 | BLEED: 36 | LD: 3

Bahr used [x13] GalaxyDestroyer-2 EN FOR MISS
Heavy Momentum gained a stack (2): +12 DMG TO NEXT SUCCESSFUL ATTACK
Light Momentum gained a stack (2): +2 ACC TO NEXT SUCCESSFUL ATTACK

Ki'Raion: HP: 478/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | ID: 154386 | BD: 1, Miss

Let's be honest. NIGHT basically took this round to return to the main battleground in absolute exasperation. This still super adorable kitty was practically running circles around them; a prance there, a bounce here, and the two players were practically struggling to keep up.

When NIGHT had darted inwards to try and land another blow, not only were her evasive maneuvers of no grand effect to getting a free strike in, she'd found herself lightly shoved back towards the taller player, stumbling backwards as she'd pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Tell me about it; is it supposed to be this hard?" Maybe she'd just gotten too used to relying on consumables; simply watching the giant feline jump around was beginning to feel like a workout and a half. Ki'Raion had barely allowed them the breather period just in time for them to clear space as it pounced to their area, right on top of where they'd stood. The woman hopped backwards, nearly falling over as she'd bring her movements to a halt.

And this was supposed to be practice?

Spoiler

ID: 154387 | BD: 2 (1, +3 -2)
NIGHT missed!

ID: 154388 | MD: 4 (2, +3 -1)
Ki'Raion missed!

Ki'Raion | HP: 478/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | TAIL SWIPE | VENUS FLY TRAP | PHOTOSYNTHESIZE

[1] NIGHT | HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 92/104 (+1, -2) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: 36 | BLGT: 72 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3
[1] Bahr | HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 116/126 | DMG: 31 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1

"Not sure,” Bahr admitted as he maintained his more casual pose, carefully studying the animal’s movements. "But it’s good practice, at the least. It’s when fighting an enemy like this that technique really comes into play.”

As though to illustrate his point, Bahr did not flee when the beast pounced toward them again. Instead, he sank the lip of Blinkstrike into the soil at his feet and shoulder checked the blade at the same moment it was met with Ki’Raion’s claw. This repelled the creature only the slightest bit, who recoiled back in response to the metal’s intense vibration from the opposing forces interacting with the steel. The space created allowed Bahr to quickly take a step forward in front of the blade, grab the hilt of the weapon with both hands reaching over and behind his head, and slam it forward with as much might as he could muster. 

Ki’Raion was not happy. 

It shrieked in pain and doubled backward, flailing about in anguish without a proper target for its fury. Bahr shifted his weight and placed a hand on his hip again as he observed. "Should be good to move in now,” he suddenly proclaimed. "Another good hit or two ought to do it.”

Spoiler

[H: 2] Bahr: HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 116+1-10=117/126 | DMG: 31 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1
[H: 1] NIGHT: HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 92/104 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 36 | BLIGHT: 72 | BLEED: 36 | LD: 3

Bahr used [x13] GalaxyDestroyer-9 EN
Heavy Momentum stacks expended (2): +12 DMG
Light Momentum stacks expended (2): +2 ACC

Ki'Raion: HP: 478-303=175/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | ID: 154389 | BD: 7+4-2=9, Hit for 31x13=403-100=303 DMG

With its health suddenly in the orange, NIGHT could definitely tell that their foe was finally nearing its end. She just, y'know, couldn't hit it for the life of her. As Ki'Raion bumbled around the back of the field, hissing and spitting from the discomfort of Bahr's wiles, NIGHT attempted to dive in for just one more shot at her foe. One good attack, and surely it would be over.

This did not happen.

NIGHT hated how agile this damned thing was, watching it suddenly switch to soaring past her head with fangs bared and claws outstretched. Just as she'd canceled her sword art to switch to an uppercut, it'd landed far away from her, batting her blade to a side just as her moves had reached its climax. The light from her sword extinguished the moment it fell out of her hands, and the woman gritted her teeth as she ducked forward, trying to sneak under the waving, whipping tail.

It was still a super cute kitty though.

Spoiler

ID: 154418 | BD: 3 (2, +3 -2)
NIGHT missed!

ID: 154419 | MD: 8 (6, +3 -1)
Ki'Raion attacks Bahr!
175 - 106 = 69 DMG

Ki'Raion | HP: 175/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 
| TAIL SWIPE | VENUS FLY TRAP | PHOTOSYNTHESIZE

[1] NIGHT | HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 91/104 (+1, -2) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: 36 | BLGT: 72 | BLD: 36 | LD: 3
[2] Bahr | HP: 1221/1290 (-69) | EN: 107/126 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1

As Bahr watched the tail close in on him, he realized what he needed to do to secure their victory. It was simply to erratic to be struck by normal means at this point. The only thing he could do was try to hit it when it came to him. 

So when the tail struck his side, he set his jaw and wrapped an arm around the slithery appendage. The tail lifted him into the air as it switched and tossed about, but he held on with every fragment of strength his muscle fibers would allow. Knowing that he couldn’t maintain this for much longer, he poured whatever power he could afford into Blinkstrike and brought it down like a hammer against a nail. 

And just like that, the segment of the tail that Bahr had attached himself to came clean off. 

Bahr touched down against the ground just in time to release the severed bit and take a few clumsy steps back as the creature thrashed about, nearly trampling him. Flames had leapt from Blinkstrike as it carved through the flesh and bone of Ki’Raion’s tail, caught its fur ablaze, and were now crawling along the surface of its body. It continued to struggle for some time, guttural groans roaring through its throat before it finally seemingly gave up and laid down with a pathetic whimper. Then, moments later, it combusted into a cloud of blue polygonal dust. 

As the fractals rained down around the battlefield, Bahr looked back toward NIGHT. "Now that,” he quipped as he pointed at the azure cloud, "You can’t do with system assist.”

Spoiler

Bahr: HP: 1221+63+24=1290/1290 | EN: 116+1-10=117/126 | DMG: 31 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 1 | BLD: 36 | BRN: 36 | BH: 63 | HM: 6 | LM: 1
NIGHT: HP: 1009/1085 | EN: 92/104 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 99 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BURN: 36 | BLIGHT: 72 | BLEED: 36 | LD: 3

Bahr used [x13] GalaxyDestroyer-9 EN

Ki'Raion: HP: 175-160-36-36=0/850 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 100 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | ID: 154420 | BD: 9, Crit for 20x13=260-100=160 DMG | BLEED AND BURN INFLICTED | BLEED AND BURN INFLICT 36 DMG EACH | Ki’Raion defeated

NIGHT couldn't believe it -- out of the two of them, it wasn't her who got to hang onto the creature at all? But it was so fluffy and majestic! Maybe she should've given into her instincts for one and wrestled it completely to begin with. If all it took to have struck it once without running about everywhere was a grasp onto its dense and soft fur, NIGHT would've taken the opportunity in a heartbeat. Of course, it came with dire consequences last time. And she was really trying hard not to let it happen again.

Watching the flames die out on the lion as it finally exploded into bits, the player finally fell backwards onto the grass, loosening her grip from her sword. NIGHT was beat. So much for getting good at the game. The novice let out a warm, breathy exhale as her gaze turned to the skies above. Against the cloudy blue, it was lovely to watch the fragments reach up towards the heavens. It just sucked that only a portion of the damage dealt to it had been hers this time. Was this always how her friends had felt around her?

NIGHT couldn't say, but she was never exactly one to continue mulling over disappointment out in the wild under daylight. She propped herself upwards, pulling her blade to her side once she'd gotten enough of a rest. "It's tough going in without buffs," she confessed to Bahr, partially wincing from the honesty. "Is this how it's always been for you? Even managing to strike it was a challenge. -- That backflip was a total cop out, though."

Bahr chortled a bit as she asked if it was always this hard for him. "Not necessarily,” he admitted. "I’ll use buffs occasionally, if the situation calls for it. I’m not a purist.” Then, he flashed her a mischievous grin. "But this was an easy one. No need for buffs.”

Another silence fell between the pair, briefly, before Bahr spoke up again. "You did good, though. It was a good effort.” Wow. That may have sounded dick-ish. "Er, what I mean to say is that I’m glad you tried this out with me. I got to see you think outside the box a little bit.”

"Like I said before, there’s nothing inherently wrong with using buffs a lot. They have obvious inherent benefits. I just think there benefits to not using them, such as having to get a bit more creative.” A pause. "Worst case scenario, you pick up a few tricks that bolster your overall toolkit.”

"So that's how it is..."

Striking a healthy balance between the two -- the idea seemed to make sense to NIGHT. Finding the middling point between the two sides was something the woman was slowly learning to do better, if not having done well enough just yet. Still, as riveting as the day's activity had been without consumables, she didn't think she would want to exhaust herself this much once again. Examining the field was one thing; when she had to couple it with keeping up with an evasive, sporadic target this early on in her attempts, it almost felt impossible at some point. NIGHT could only hum thoughtfully as she turned to the spot where the beast's corpse fell upon, watching the last of the lights flicker away into the ether.

A root of her sword's tip to the ground, and she rose, taking a stretch before she'd went to addressing her friend. "I don't see the harm in taking your advice. If what we pick up mesh well together with stretching the system to its limits, then there's good reason in looking to pick it up."

"Still, though. I'd... probably start somewhere easier for myself." NIGHT returned Bahr a wide grin, almost breaking out into laughter. "At least I know how difficult it is to begin with now. Thanks for tagging along at my behest. Um-- today was fun, even if it hadn't gone as smoothly as I'd expected it to."

Bahr returned her grin with a smile of his own. "Nah,” he countered nonchalantly. "I think it went well. We beat it, after all, and hardly lost any health doing so.” He finally sheathed Blinkstrike and took a glance at their health bars just to be sure, as he hadn’t actually paid much attention to them throughout the fight. His was already filled back up, and whatever little health she has lost was replenishing steadily. 

"Besides,” he continued, "it’s not necessarily a bad thing to be humbled. This may have highlighted a few areas of improvement for you to work on.” It certainly had for him. Don’t be afraid to take a hit.

"Anyways, yeah. It’s no problem. If you end up wanting to try it out again, let me know. You know where to find me.”

Content with the lesson, Bahr turned to take his leave. If nothing else, he’d given her food for thought. Maybe that hunger for more would keep her coming back. 

QUEST COMPLETED

BAHR
5 SP
8200 col
15 T3 Materials
Ki’Raion’s Tail (T3 2HSS - ACC/ACC/Paralyze)

NIGHT
5 SP
8200 col
15 T3 Materials