[SP|F6] <<Calming the Soul>> Nightmares

Chase silently teleported into the sixth floor, taking a deep breath. Once he was done retrieving the Hoya of Minos, he'd gone to look for ways to boost his regenerative abilities, at least with his energy, and he came to the conclusion he'd have to step into unfamiliar territory again, this once in the form of the sixth floor. "The waterfall... I wonder where it is.", he thought as he looked around the town he'd just entered, completely silent. "If I ask around, the NPCs should be able to guide me... Better not fall from these platforms though.", he thought and scratched the back of his head, moving on and beginning to ask for instructions.

And instructions he received. Following them down to a tee, the bluehead was quickly met with the sight of a waterfall in front of him, which was rather far away from town. No monsters seemed to lurk nearby however. Just being around the waterfall made him feel tranquillity. Everybody told him that this quest was about fighting four bosses, one after the other, but... Nobody had ever said the same thing. The task appeared to be different for each, and that's the case he thought to be for him too. With a deep breath, he stood next to it and firmly gripped the hilt of his sword, deciding to trust the guidance he'd been given so far.

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 16
HP: 320/320
EN: 32/32

Stats:
Damage: 10
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 3
REC:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<Cloud Cutter>> (T1/Perfect/2HSS): DMG III
Armor: <<Sky Blue Apparel>> (T1/Perfect/Light Armor): EVA I; REC II
Misc: <<Warm Earmuffs>> (T1/Perfect/Trinket): ACC III

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 4]

Extra Skills:

Mods:

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(heal 50HP)*3
T1 Rare Health Potions (heal 40HP)*5
Field Rations*1
Immolation Potion*1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

The boy shortly stepped onto one of the wide rocks near the waterfall, crossing his legs once he took a seat and trying to relax. He placed both of his hands on his legs, and by the time he'd felt something was off and opened his eyes, he wasn't there anymore. Instead, he appeared to be in a completely dark room. It quickly lit up with a moody blue light, four doors ahead of him as a shadow around his size pointed him to what would probably be the first. "Wh-What is this? I didn't see any teleportation flash or prompt... This has to be an event quest, or an exception for sure..."

How featureless it was, how much it resembled a human while at the same time certainly not being even close to an NPC... It crept him out. But he felt oddly familiar around it. Looking at the door, he could see a figure carved into it, like a human but balled up, crying with their head buried in their legs. "... They remind me of... me. Up until a few days ago... That's not who I am anymore though."

Closing his eyes, Chase took but a deep breath before opening them with a much more confident gaze now on his face, beginning to take steps towards the door and even pushing it open, to stare inside with the same, unwavering confidence. "Then... This must be one of the bosses.", he pondered, entering the room only for the door to disappear behind him. Now locked into the room, a shadow began to form in front of him. As it took the form of a human more and more, the room lit up with a familiar light. It looked like... the inn he slept at.

"Th-This is... Why?", he froze momentarily, getting caught completely off guard by the room. Once the shadow was done forming, he looked at it to see it have monstrous proportions. Overly long arms, a slim silhouette and it looked like tears came out of its orange eyes that glowed ever so menacingly. "T-Tch, I get it... These quests are so different because they're unique to each one of us... So that's what I thought of myself like then..?", the boy began to sweat slightly, gripping his unsheathed sword ever so tightly in his hands and preparing to engage into combat all the same.

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 32/32 | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
First Inner Demon: HP: 80/80 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 2

"It has an HP bar. Then my goal is clear. No matter what this quest is meant to be, that's an enemy. And I have to take it down.". That's the only thing he was confident about. Taking a battle ready stance Chase was quick to pull his leg back and try to clear his mind, although it proved to be too hard, especially right away, in here facing what only felt like himself. "... Fine, I'll take you on even without full focus.", he snarled, lunging at the enemy and quickly turning his blade on its side before slamming it into the Inner Demon with all his might, heaving loudly. "Hoooo!"

Just when he thought he'd hit the monster and taken it down, it seemed to have disappeared from in front of him, reforming right next to him and slowly slashing down his chest, dealing some damage. It wasn't anything to worry about, but the way he'd missed. He knew very well why that was, and that's because he was faltering. 

image.png.3851869739499f9d432ea96a9aa394b9.png

Chase: HP: 300/320 (-20) | EN: 30/32 (-2) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
First Inner Demon: HP: 80/80 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 2

Edited by ChaseR

"Get yourself together, you fool! Quit making such a mockery of yourself... Losing to a damn shadow, tear it to pieces you idiot!", he berated himself, starting to lose his composure as he desperately took the same stance, and by the time the shadow was back in its place, he made another effort to attack it in the exact same way. He was acting more out of panic, letting his instinct take over and ruin the style he usually had to his battles, as much as that was his own style rather than the system assist's.

This time, it was easy to see. His hit connected, and the metallic thud that echoed in the room was enough proof. The demon didn't move at all, seeming just as dazed as all other monsters did upon getting hit with this attack, except even more unfazed. It was simply staying still because the game forced it to, nothing more, nothing less. "Its HP is incredibly low, now's my chance!"

image.png.c9a903cb6e2f65ae1bd4ac575960ec23.png

Chase: HP: 300/320 | EN: 23/32 (-10, +3) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
First Inner Demon: HP: 2/80 (-78) | DMG: 20 | MIT: 2 (STUNNED)
First Inner Demon Stun Cooldown: 3 posts

Edited by ChaseR

He left little room for the shadow to move, although he wasn't aware whether it had any physical capabilities a monster would, or any need for them. It wasn't even fully materialised and couldn't be, for all he knew. It had an HP bar, and his goal was to fully deplete it. Until then, he couldn't, and wouldn't rest easy. This quest was going to take especially long, with every one of these bosses packing such a mental punch to Chase's mentality. It was enough to give him a break down if he'd lost, especially to something that reflected just how pathetic he was the past few months.

The boy quickly tried to slash at his opponent, gritting his teeth tightly and grinding them against one another as he used all his might in what he hoped to be a final attack on the monster. And that it was. Instead of the usual crystal effect when a monster died, this one simply dissipated back into the shadows. The blip was still there, but the change of effect... It was ominous.

image.png.b7d2028ea1feb4f0605e50cf17ec5694.png

Chase: HP: 300/320 | EN: 24/32 (-2, +3) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
First Inner Demon: HP: 0/80 (-2) | DMG: 20 | MIT: 2

Edited by ChaseR

"This must mean that... I did it. That was just the first of the bosses. How does it know about me, the game..? Did it keep an eye on each one of us..? Is this quest made specifically for me? No, it's catered to each one of us... We probably can't do it with a partner even if we wanted to.". Thoughts flooded his mind, as the room's lighting faded away and the entrance appeared. He began to head for it once more, taking a sigh and exiting. The faceless shadow was still waiting outside, now pointing at a different door.

He knew this battle had taken a bit out of him though. It wasn't quite enough to need to call it a day, but he doubted that was a choice even. What he'd seen in the first room was enough to get him to realise one thing; he wasn't quite over everything that had happened and kept on happening for however long now. "These bosses... Must be my guilt, personified. The first monster wasn't weak like the others."

image.png.6df8ea640e2ce43b6bbad6d7eae0d89e.png

Chase: HP: 310/320 (+10) | EN: 27/32 (+3) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2

Edited by ChaseR

"This was one of the few times I've struggled with a monster up to now. They must be at least as strong as I am... No, that's overestimating them. If they're specifically made for me though... It has to be around my stats... Gah, what am I trying to make sense of... No mater its stats, I'll just look at it, see its HP drop and slash away until it reaches zero.", he groaned and gave up trying to make any more sense out of this than he could. It was already bothersome enough as is, and pondering over it wouldn't get him anywhere.

The shadow didn't seem bothered a bit from his resting, which only crept him out more and more. A familiar figure, just standing to point at the doors one by one. The door it was pointing at now, into it was etched the same figure, except holding its head in confusion this time around and screaming. Even more eerie than before, if anything.

image.png.df00f6fe99798ab9fb4fb368591497bf.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 (+10) | EN: 30/32 (+3) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2

Edited by ChaseR

Pushing the door open with little hesitation and stepping into it, the entrance he just went through disappeared behind him, and he found himself standing in the plains outside of the Town of Beginnings. "This is... Shay took me out here when we first started. I didn't know what to do. She explained plenty of stuff, just as Ariel did to me...", he got nostalgic, as a shadow popped up out of the ground in front of him, starting to take on the form of a confused and shaken boy. It looked, much like him. Almost nervously, it kept sliding its right hand down as if to open a menu.

Although faintly, it looked to be staring around, as if it was missing something. "I don't understand this. I don't understand any of this. Why is this biting at me more and more, with my lack of knowledge for the game and all the cowardice I've shown?! I'm over it now, so why?!", he grunted and quickly dashed at the shadow, repeating the same move he tried to use on the one beforehand. He missed once more, although he managed to jump back just before the shadow's attack, accompanied by a confused shriek, connected.

image.png.2930a5a8a44571978b85b06217fb384a.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 31/32 (-2, +3) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Second Inner Demon: HP: 106/106 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 3

Edited by ChaseR

"This isn't right! None of this is right, damn it! I can't focus on the battle because the system is tormenting me... It's looking down upon me for not taking action all this time, just as I'd thought!", he kept punching himself mentally, digging deeper and deeper with his words before realising he wasn't helping anyone. No, he was only making this worse for him. He did his best to stop his train of thoughts, clearing his mind as much as possible and trying to keep it empty. Instead of resisting any thoughts coming his way, he'd try to simply let them pass.

Like so, he managed to focus on his stance, gripping his blade's hilt tightly and jumping forwards as he attempted to hit the shadow with the flat of his blade again, in hopes of stunning it to prepare it for a finishing blow. The same scene as before repeated, not in his head, but in reality. They both missed. It was a stalemate.

image.png.3158090a552677f59ffab83f4ac91529.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 30/32 (-2, +1) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Second Inner Demon: HP: 106/106 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 3

Edited by ChaseR

"I have to get myself together if I want to get through this... This is no longer about getting stronger. This is about overcoming my damn fears which are appearing right before me. I know too well if I lose to myself like this, I can't ever forgive just how weak I am. I can't use it as an excuse to hide behind this way!", the bluehead braced himself, taking the same stance on. With his head as much in the game as possible, he decided to embrace the thoughts that came to him, no matter what, instead of trying to idly ignore them.

The only way to get over his fears, was to face them head on, charge right ahead and block everything else out of sight. And so he did. He almost slipped, but he finally managed to hit the shadow, getting it to screech out of confusion and look at the ground completely lost. It was almost as if tears came out of its purple eyes, which looked down filled with terror.

image.png.b9d3493df37de3edfaf82224f25c4152.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 23/32 (-10, +3) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Second Inner Demon: HP: 29/106 (-77) | DMG: 26 | MIT: 3 (STUNNED)
Second Inner Demon Cooldowns: Stun; 3 posts

Edited by ChaseR

He wanted to give the monster a run for its money, leaving it with as little room to recover its senses as possible. "That's exactly right, I'm not like you! I would never act like that in the heat of battle, with my life at stake! That's why I can't lose to you!", he almost shouted out loud, shifting all his weight onto his heel without even trying to move back and starting to spin violently, hoping to chain four hits one after the other onto the monster in order to finish it off and finally take it down, to move on to the next room.

Defeating this monster, however, would also mean conquering his fear of not understanding everything in the system. He was slow, but that was nothing to be afraid off. It only meant that he could digest everything much better, at a much slower pace. In the end however, he'd know everything just as well as the others, all he needed was some time. His attack worked as expected, as the shadow disappeared. This only left Chase panting, his temples shining with drops of cold sweat decorating them while he recollected himself.

image.png.7c1de8ae1a5214e9d74fb6d6abac9f22.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 22/32 (-4, +3) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Second Inner Demon: HP: 0/106 (-29) | DMG: 26 | MIT: 3

Edited by ChaseR

"That's right... I wouldn't ever put myself in this situation in the first place. I only make moves I'm certain of. To step out into the battlefield like that... I wouldn't be able to reach the frontlines. I'd die before I could even dream about reaching the frontlines.". He wasn't being negative, or mocking himself. He was putting things straight, as they were. Turning around, he began to head out of the room, closing the door behind him. The closer to the exit he got with every step, the light of the fields grew dimmer and dimmer. 

He didn't ever bother looking back, with his sword held firmly in one hand and his other fist tightened. "Whatever the system is doing... It's not mocking me. It's hard to tell, but it's trying to breach the gap between myself and accepting this world as my new reality. It's helping me face my fears and overcome them... As long as I'm strong enough. I have to keep that momentum up, not for the system, but for me and Lily...", he monologued as he let out a deep exhale, looking at the shadow to see it pointing at a third door now, continuing to stare with that empty smirk.

image.png.7c7fff239907664c977ee0b56aed2b85.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 25/32 (+3) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2

Edited by ChaseR

"I wonder if I was even aware of these issues before facing the monsters... Yeah, they've been at the back of my head, but... Would I have this inner conflict without this quest?", the boy began to wonder, frowning but doing his best to not let it get to him too much. "Nothing I can do but ponder about it in this case... Let's dwell on it after I'm done overcoming them all... At least in battle.", his thoughts just kept being more and more moody, but he couldn't do much to prevent himself from stooping to that state of mind.

He was getting bashed left and right with bad memories, bad images of himself and his worst fears, too. He walked towards the third room, looking at the door to see many figures, almost a crowd, engraved on the wooden entrance. He pushed it open and hesitantly, peeked inside, although he couldn't see much from now.

image.png.4f057428fb43c905096e8f31071fd0a8.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 26/32 (+1) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2

Edited by ChaseR

Stepping into the room to get a clearer view and prepare to engage into battle with the third demon, the bluehead closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Only once he was inside, he opened them, to find himself standing in... a park? "What..?", he questioned, even himself being confused when he should have known just what was going on. Looking around, it wasn't hard to tell that this was the park he always played at with Lily, but... Why this place, why now of all times? What demon was 'connected' with this place so fundamentally?

It was then that the shadowy figure began to form in front of him, but unlike the rest, it became wider and wider... It eventually formed many figures, all coming out of one another and almost melted, with sharp dark blue gazes staring right at Chase. He hesitated for a moment, realising just how many pairs of eyes there were. "Th-They know... They know I'm filled with doubts... They are too.", the boy thought as he gulped, gripping his sword tighter and gritting his teeth, preparing to engage into combat with the crowd that had a single HP bar.

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 32/32 | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Third Inner Demon: HP: 160/160 | DMG: 40 | MIT: 5

Edited by ChaseR

This time, Chase made little attempt to even clear his head. He quickly assumed his battle stance, knowing fully well that trying to focus on clearing his headspace wouldn't do him any favors. This was all a quest, and that's what he had to focus at for now. He grinned hesitantly, feeling his muscles completely tense. "It's just a quest... Once I'm done, I can worry about it and cry all I want. That's right... I have the upper hand. This is my headspace... I can win, and I alone, even if... No, I don't have doubts about myself."

Amidst the confusion, he quickly felt a wave of energy surge through him before jumping at the crowd, using his Tempest sword art once more in order to attempt stunning the strongest demon he'd faced up to now, with the same confident grin and look in his face as he sweated coldly. Hitting the shadow, he worried for a moment as the blade sunk into it just slightly, getting bounced back. From where one of the crowd's figures seemed ready to attack, it simply stared just as intensely, yet blankly.

image.png.38b1c0e2afb48c55aaa284e615d996c0.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 24/32 (+2, -10) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Third Inner Demon: HP: 85/160 (-75) | DMG: 40 | MIT: 5
Third Inner Demon Cooldowns; Stun: 3 posts

Edited by ChaseR

Although he himself spaced out momentarily, the swordsman's body was quick to move on its own and try to unleash another attack before the shadow could move, this time using a sword art he hadn't even attempted before in battle. He attempted striking three times diagonally and weaving in a few thrusts between his combo, but not a single hit seemed to land as the crowd melted around the blade, dodging it adeptly every single time.

One of the figures tried to attack him back, but from dodging, it appeared to move all too much and missed the strike with a sharp object that resembled a blade. "These monsters are tough, but I'm not in any danger just yet... I have to move my body and mind as one, damn it.", he attempted to snap out of it, making a valiant effort to stay back and regain his composure all the same.

image.png.07be447e0b0455c3cab46aeba2ee9c71.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 23/32 (+1, -2) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Third Inner Demon: HP: 85/160 | DMG: 40 | MIT: 5
Third Inner Demon Cooldowns; Stun: 2 posts

Edited by ChaseR

With a deep exhale, he dashed forwards and made another attempt at using the same sword art, slicing at the shadows with a bright green glow around his blade whilst he stroke and thrust. Each attack left behind a small trail, and he would normally be amazed at that, if it weren't for the predicament he was in and the mental state that these monsters were beginning to slowly drag him down to.

Just when he smiled, thinking that he'd hit the shadowy mess in front of him, the same thing as last demon happened... The scene repeated just like before. It appeared he was in a stalemate, inside of his head just as much as on the battlefield. Overcoming this flaw of his, or at least understanding it and finding a way around it, would mean he'd find a way to take this demon out as well. Even if it hadn't been that long, he was getting a bad feeling of deja vu, as if his head was ringing. "D-Damn it... Again..."

image.png.6598aec70851bbd74b83600b6f0a00fb.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 24/32 (+3, -2) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Third Inner Demon: HP: 85/160 | DMG: 40 | MIT: 5
Third Inner Demon Cooldowns; Stun: 1 post

Edited by ChaseR

Attempting to switch up the way he performed his sword arts to see if that would help any, the boy raised his sword in the air and attempted to bring its flat side down onto the shadow, using Tempest one more in hopes that he'd timed the stun invincibility window down right. The attack should be fierce, and should it hit it was bound to deal a hefty amount of damage if not leave the shadowy figures there, staring into nothingness once more.

Saying that this attack worked would be an understatement. It proved to be much more effective than before, leaving one of the figures dazed even as their HP dropped more than it should have, normally. "Coincidence or not, a critical hit. Is that enough..?!", he asked, only to hear a familiar blip once more before the shadows melted into the concrete bricks' seams and disappear back into the ground of the park. 

image.png.521c905a233cc02f5d5dc7e9d65c44bc.png

Chase: HP: 320/320 | EN: 17/32 (+3, -10) | DMG: 10 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Third Inner Demon: HP: 0/160 (-85) | DMG: 40 | MIT: 5

Edited by ChaseR

"... So I'm really that doubtful about myself... Same way everyone else-... No. I fear that everyone is doubtful of me. And then I follow suit.", the boy corrected himself while he looked around the park a little longer, keeping his sword resting at ease and silently looking at a lonely swing further away. He made no attempt to move towards it or even remotely try to interact with it, but it was clear he was very nostalgic. These fights were curses, and blessings in disguise.

He was getting access to the deepest reaches of his mind like this, even if it meant going through some unfavorable predicaments in the form of facing his fears head on with his life at stake, potentially. "I used to play with Lily, by the swings. Lily...", he let his rose tinted glasses take over for a moment, before shaking his head to clear it up. At least slightly. "I should get a move on."