[PP | F1] Lake of Raging <<The Fourth Lesson, Is Actually Free>>

Katoka was pleased with herself. She was beaming as they made their way back to the Artisian to deliver the gems and she was still smiling while they were given another quest to deliver a parcel to a fisherman. She managed to take out the previous boss and get Ruler's approval for her efforts, at this point she was practically floating. While they made their way to the lake she checked her stats to see how much she had gained in level. Her increase in hp and skill points were enough for her to open her notes and begin mumbling about what skills and types of armor she needed. She held her shin with her hand in thought while still managing to walk without much trouble.

She quickly realized she was slipping into her over planning mode and blushed a bit, closing the UI, "So Alicia-chan, do you have any big plans for your skills or how you want to use them?"

Spoiler

Katoka | LVL: 8 | HP: 160 | EN: 16 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 0

Equipped
Weapon: Curved Sword | Rare (+2 Damage)
Armor: Samurai Yukata (Light Armor) | MIT 1

Skills
Curved Swords | Rank 1

Battle Inventory
(3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)

Edited by Katoka

Ruler was quiet while Katoka went through her skills, seeming to plan out her build. She didn't want to bother her, but sooner or later, the girl would close her menu, whip around and ask her about her own build. She was sure on what she would be doing already.

"My build is going to be something called a bruiser. My specialty will be tanking damage while dishing it out. You should focus on dealing damage too, but maybe invest in some support style skills so that you can help keep me alive while we fight. Doesn't that sound great?" She asked with a light smile beaming to the girl. It had only been a single day so far and she was really starting to get attached to this woman.

"This is just our start, Katsumi-san. Just keep leveling up your weapon for now and I'll worry about taking the damage for you okay?" Ruler said as they came into view with the lake in question.

Spoiler

Name: Ruler
Level: 8
HP: 160/160
EN: 16/16

Stats:
Damage: 6
Accuracy: 3

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Flag of War[THAS/Rare/T1] DMG II
Armor: Maiden's Garb[Light Armor/Perfect/T1] MIT II; EVA I
Misc: Maiden's Forgiveness[Trinket/Perfect/T1] ACC III

Skills:
Two-Handed Assault Spear [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:

Mods:

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(50hp)*3
Ice Cream Mochi - LD III*3

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Katoka listened intently to Ruler as she explained her build, she loved talking stats and skills so her eyes were focus and excited to hear her plans. "I know we are still low in level, but I love to make plans like this. It helps me focus and calms my nerves." she laughed awkwardly, "It's weird I know." she turned to the lake that they arrived at. "Waaaah, it's huge! Who knew that such a big and pretty lake was nearby." she grabs Ruler's hand hand pulls her along to the dock ahead where an old man is sitting in a row boat. "Come on! Let's go!"

Katoka gives the man their packages and he takes them eagerly, "Thank you young ladies, now I can catch that fish I've been hunting for years. However these old bones are tired, could you help an old man out?" Katoka nodded excitedly, she would love to ride out onto this beautiful lake and enjoy the breeze for a bit.

Ruler nearly fell to the ground as she was drug around by Katoka. She was going to have to start getting pulled around in heels like this or else she would be tasting dirt for sure. Katsumi seemed to be taking the lead on this one, talking with the fisherman right away. He asked them to join him on a boat ride. Boat rides weren't really the most pleasant thing that Alicia could think of, but in a wave-less lake, there wasn't much room to complain.

"Of course we can join you. If you need any help, you be sure to let us know." Ruler says as she takes a step into the boat. Her heels made it difficult to stand in the boat, and it's shallow floor hardly allowed for her long legs to sit peacefully. She took a moment to help Katoka into the boat and the three of them would be on their way.

Katoka was looking around excited, she loved the thought of riding in a boat around the beautiful lake. The only think that would make it better would be if it was sunset, it would be much more romantic. She instantly blushed red at the thought and tried to change her thought process, they were still on a quest after all. Her mind switched gears when she saw a fish jump from the lake, "Waaaa, did you see Ruler?" she was like a child again, her face alight with glee. She used to love to ride out with her grandfather to watch him fish, even back home they had koi in the pond near their house. Fish were such beautiful and strange creatures to her.

The only man eventually stopped near the middle of the lake and turned to he girls, "Well ladies, here we are. Time to get to work." he smiled and held out  fishing rod. Katoka grinned and cracked her knuckles, "I've got this one." she winked at Ruler playfully. She took the pole and cast the line beautifully out into the lake, after a few moments the bobber dipped once. Twice. After the third time it ducked under and she pulled back, hooking the fish and reeling it in.

"You're up Alicia-chan!" she shouted as she tugged one final time. The Sword-Fish burst from the water and into the air.

1.png.c58ca83224d86e1a0ce4ffe361ae9c7b.png

Edited by Katoka

The majestic fish launched into the air, exploding the water of the lake into the air and raining on the group. Even when the shower of water sprayed her, she stood to her feet and readied her Flag of War. The fish was faster, piercing directly into her chest. That, however, made it rather easy to get her own attack off. She angled her lance and stabbed it through the fish's side. With a heave, she pulled it loose of her body and groan escaped her mouth.

"B-Bastard.." She whispered and chucked the giant fish back into the water. Another spash made waves big enough to rock the boat. The shadow of the fish could be seen circling the boat. Ruler's eyes were locked on it tightly. "Be careful Katoka, it hit's much harder than I expected it to." Ruler gave a nod to her damage partner, even though she should be the one who is focused since her hate is higher.

image.png

[1]Ruler | HP: 128/160 -(50-18) | EN: 16/16 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1
[0]Katoka |

Swordfish | 7/35 -(7*4) | DMG: 50/5

A rage bubbled up inside of Katsumi that she had never felt before. When she saw the fish speared through Alicia's chest her sword was in her and before she realized it. Watching her remove the creature from herself and toss it back into the water her grip tightened on the handle, as soon as it's fin made an appearance on the surface she released the sword skill she had been charging, but it didn't manage to hit. She ground her teeth and made a "Tch" noise in disgust, how could she miss such a big target?

"Are you alright Alicia?" she asked, her voice was surprisingly calm and focused as she watched the fin circling the boat, she wasn't about to let it out of her sight. The wake from the fish was moving the boat but she had her sea legs from years of fishing with her grandfather, she stood firm in the old man's boat.

297df2309a78d228a7b2dcc3e8b55653.png.76126d4e74119abcb2119e95910a181e.png

[1]Ruler | HP: 128/160 | EN: 16/16 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1
[0]Katoka | LVL: 8 | HP: 160 | EN: 14/16 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 0 

Swordfish | 7/35 | DMG: 50/5

Edited by Katoka

Katsumi's question went over her head. It wasn't important to worry about her condition right now since she still had about 80% of her health points. It wouldn't be able to out damage her if it tried. It made another loop around the boat again, swimming quickly through the water. Ruler's keen eyes located the beast, stabbing directly into the water where it's dorsal fin peeked from the water. The body of the fish writhed for a moment and then limped. Alicia pulled it free from the water and tossed it into the boat, dead as a door nail.

"There we go." She said, taking her seat back in the vessel before it tipped over and capsized. "That was a little rougher than normal, but we got through it. My health come back shortly, so don't worry about me." The fisher man proceeded to take them back to the shore.

image.png

[1]Ruler | HP: 128/160 | EN: 9/16 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1
[0]Katoka | HP: 160/160 | EN: 14/16 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 0 

Swordfish | 7/35 | DMG: 50/5

Katoka was surprised that the fish, despite being dead, didn't explode like the other monsters. It must have to do with it being a quest mob that needed to be returned whole. She sighed as she sat back down, her hands were shaking a bit from the adrenaline rush that she had felt during the battle. Even though she knew Alicia was there to tank and take damage, it didn't change the fact that when she saw her get hurt it made her upset. She gripped her sheathed blade to try and steady on hand and tried to hide the other from view, looking out on the lake she exhaled slowly and quietly. It was getting easier to fight and not get as scared, her growth in levels and strength were helping in her confidence.

She looked at the fish again and then thought of something, turning to her companion she asked, "Hey Alicia-chan, aren't sword fish salt water fish?"

Ruler was watching towards the shore. She was ready to get off this boat, even if they'd only spent about ten minutes on the water. She didn't really have a fear of boats or anything, but that didn't meant that she really enjoyed floating around on the water like this.

Katoka's question did raise a good point, but there was one thing that she was forgetting to think about. "Even if it is a salt water fish, this is a video game. If they want to put a salt water fish in fresh water, they could do so without question really. Or they could make an in-game reason to explain why the fish would be able to breath in different waters. Doesn't really matter in a digital world is all I'm trying to get at."

The pier was getting closer slowly, and Ruler wasn't as talkative as she normally was. She just wanted to get off the boat for now.

"Hmm, I suppose you're right." she poked at the dead fish as they arrived at the dock. Ruler seemed eager to get out of the boat so she let her get off first, when she disembarked she turned to the old man who thanked them both. Katsumi bowed and thanked him for the ride and turned back to her companion, "Well, that went a lot quicker than I imagined it would. I guess I'm just that good a fisherman huh?" she flexed her arms, attempting to get a laugh from her. She stepped up close to the blonde knight, "So, I guess we're done with the questline huh?" she rocked back and forth on her feet, her hands behind her back while looking out over the water. She was trying to subtly hint at something, hoping Alicia would pick up that she wanted to go somewhere together. "Do you, have anywhere to be now?" She looked back at the taller woman, hoping she was free.

Ruler climbed out of the boat carefully and helped out Katoka as well. She collected herself and moved her weapon into her inventory. That was probably enough questing for one day. The sun would likely be setting in a few hours and she was rather tired.

"Looks like were are done now. That went by a lot faster than I thought it would honestly, but it is starting to get late. If we started a quest now, we would likely get too tired to finish it." A smile formed across Ruler's face as Katoka tried to play all big and bad. Ruler reached out and gave her a soft pat on the head. "You did amazing, yeah. I'm glad to see you're improving so fast."

Katoka then asked if she was planning to do anything for the rest of the day. "I do not have anything specific in mind, no. Why do you ask. Is there another quest that you wanted to get done today?"

She continued to try an play coy, "Hmmm, well not a quest per say. But the rewards I think are just as fulfilling." she was trying her hardest to be playful, but she didn't think she was doing very well. "Come with me, this doesn't involve combat or anything so it's safe to do at any time." She pulled on her arm and began to lead her back to town. Surly she would figure it out when they got there. She hoped.

After some time of idle chatter and walking they made it back to the Town of Beginnings and Katoka continued to lead her to a restaurant she had found the previous day. "Well? Does the beautiful spear toting knight get hungry as well?" she asked smugly, maybe now she would get it. She was never very good at flirting, let alone the game of subtlety. Maybe she could make it seem like a joke or something if she was against it, that was easy to do right?

Yet again Ruler was getting dragged along by the girl. She wouldn't complain about her though, just that she might have to stop wearing heels or lose a foot if things continued like this. After a somewhat quiet walk back to town, Katoka had led them to a restaurant that she might have already known before since she took her here so easily. It didn't look player run but one thing was for sure, she was actually much more hungry than she had led on. If she could have a growling stomach, it would have just roared right now at the smell of the food coming from the store.

"I am just as human as everyone else here." Ruler smiles, holding the door open for Katoka to walk through first. She followed in behind her, being told by a waiter to take a seat anywhere they liked and they would get an order from the two shortly.

Katoka felt bad dragging Ruler around but at the same time it was a bit fun to lead her around for once. She flushed a but at her opening the door for her and found a two person table near a window that looked cozy enough. She unequipped her armor and weapon so that she was just in normal clothes and sat down to begin looking at the menu, her stomach growled audibly and she hid behind her menu in embarrassment. "S-so, we managed to accomplish a lot in one day huh?" she asked, trying to avoid talk of her stomach. "I was surprised how easy it was once you get into the motion of it. Though with those being tutorial quests I assume they're meant to be easy."

She peaked around her menu at the regal woman, the setting sun shining on her golden hair made Katoka's heart beat quickly. She went back to looking at the menu, deciding that she would eat some stew again.

Ruler nodded to her ally with a slight smile gracing her lips. "I would say we did a ton. I think if more people who were afraid to leave decided to get up and do those four quests, they would see the game much differently. It really isn't as bad as it seems in the grand scheme of things. Sure, it's a death game, but it's still a game. We can overcome it and become the smarter players."

The waiter soon came back to take their order. Since she was unfamiliar with the menu and didn't have much time to look it over, she merely ordered the same thing that Katoka did. Alicia wasn't really picky about what she ate, so she didn't mind leaving it up to Katsumi's choice.

"You're getting a lot better too. With more practice, I'm sure you will be helping the front lines in no time." She commented as the waiter went to turn in their order.

Katsumi hadn't given a lot of thought to the front lines, it seemed like such a far off place to her. From what she had heard they were close to clearing the 25th floor, while she was down here fighting boars and fish on floor one. Though she had already bounced around a lot from the guild hall to the desert area, she still saw the front lines as the summat of a steep mountain. Now Alicia had seemed more likely to her to find her way to the upper floors with ease, she was cool and collected when the time was right. Something that Katoka was still working on.

"I wanted to thank you again Alicia-san, I don't think I could have made it this far and this fast without your help." she smiled at her warmly, "I hope that after today you will consider coming out with me more often, I enjoy your company immensely."

Their servings of stews came much more quickly than she expected. She had forgotten how simple cooking was in Aincrad that it hardly took any time at all to make meals. Fine by her really, she was never really a good cook to begin with.

"No need to thank me. I am only doing what anyone else would be doing. Finding friends to level up with and just having fun with the whole process. If you ever want to party with me, all it takes is a message. I will be there to tank for you whenever you need it." Alicia said. She took a breath over the stew to cool it off then took a bite from it. It was a little better than she was expecting considering most non-player foods tasted pretty bad. This must have been a player shop.

"I would not mind us finding others to play with as well. The more the merrier as they say."

Katoka nodded, she did want to get to know a few other people from the guild, Vie in particular, but she also wanted to spend a bit more time with just Alicia. "Of course, getting to know others from the guild would be nice. I also received a message from an old friend that she was going to start venturing out for herself too. I figured I might introduce her to the guild and see if Raidou might take her in as well." she began to blow on her stew but was getting impatient, taking a bit and burning her mouth a bit. It was still just as good as the other day. She wondered what other restaurants and foods she could find in the game. She took a moment to take a gulp of cold water to sooth her burnt tongue.

"I ate too fast." she said sticking out her tongue, letting out a sigh afterwards.

Ruler giggled a bit as the girl struggled getting her food down. The mention of another friend coming into the game did peek her interest though. "A friend, hunh? Would you like to bring them along with us so that they can level up as well? It would be more fun that way."

Alicia knew that was not the entire reason that she wanted to bring along this nameless friend. She wanted to protect that person for Katsumi. If she saw someone die the way that she had, then Katsumi would surely despair much more than Ruler had when she had to watch her friends die.

Taking a few more sips of her stew, she enjoyed the rest of her day. It would be nice to spend the rest of the evening with this girl. It wasn't like she had anything more interesting to do anyway. Things were looking better.

Spoiler

Rewards

SP: 2 Quest; 1 page; 1 event
Col: 200 per player

- 1 Fish with +1 ACC snack (+1 BD for one Thread)