[SP|F9] <<Burning Phoenix Feathers>> A Hot Trip

<<Burning Phoenix Feathers>>

Trying to pick up some more SP along the way, Chase had heard the rumors from two NPCs, a blacksmith and a tailor. They had a crafting recipe of sorts, which allowed them to make tags that let you change the appearance and name of an item. That would come in handy, in case he ever traded one of the armors that he'd gotten from Simmone, letting him make whatever he wishes with his earnings. "So a nametag, like the letter of appreciation in Tanabata but repeatable... I see. Maybe I should give it a shot, all I'll have to do is... Hmph."

The boy was already on the ninth, having grown accustomed even to the intense heat of the floor. Thanks to his Survival skill, it barely meant anything to him though. All he'd have to do according to the two NPCs was gather five materials and then find a phoenix, a monster said to scale to one's individual level, in order to grab one of its feathers upon killing it and bring it back. Once they got their hands on it, they'd combine them all into the nametag and let him off scott-free, with an extra SP to boot. Nothing to lose from doing an easy task like this.

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 47
HP: 960/960
EN: 94/94

Stats:
Damage: 15
Mitigation: 43
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 3
BH:19
VAMP DEF:48
FRZ:24
BLD:24
HLY BLS:16
LD:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<Zero Degree Icicle>> (T2/Perfect/2HSS): ACC I, FRZ I, BLD I
Armor: <<Wind Dweller>> (T2/Perfect/Light Armor): EVA I, REC II
Misc: <<Chained Bracelet>> (T2/Perfect/Trinket): EVA II, ACC I

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Battle Healing [Rank 2]
Searching [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Fighter
Survival
Disguise

Mods:
2HSS Finesse [R3]
Precision
Athletics
Sprint & Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(heal 50HP)*3
Spyglass (2/3)*1
T1 Rare Health Potions (heal 40HP)*2
Woodland Armor (T2/Perfect) MIT III (2/3)*1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Edited by ChaseR

Checking in with his quest log, those were definitely the instructions alright. He made sure that everything in his inventory was battle-ready and good to go, before setting off from the floor's settlement and out into the fields. The small pools of lava here and there, the dry and hot air, the steam erupting from the passage here and there... Nothing was unfamiliar because of that Cerberus trip. Nothing like the caves the bandits were at, but... Still familiar and used to all the same.

While he went down the passage the opposite way from where they'd gone to end up to Inferno Cave, the boy made sure to keep an eye out left and right for any materials that he could collect for the nametag. However, he was disappointed to see that luck wasn't treating him well off the bat- a change of pace would be nice though, all the same. 

image.png.a695019e3a7161fd8fca03e83be804ca.png

LD Roll: 11 + 2 = 13

Quest Materials: 0/5
Phoenix Feather: 0/1

Edited by ChaseR

With no material in sight, he continued. He even took his blade out while walking and placed its flat side on his hand, inspecting it. It appeared to be made out of ice, yet the environment and temperature of the floor wasn't affecting it any. These items probably had their own durability that could be hurt by... clashing? Did they have a durability? He never saw a weapon of his break before, nor could he find anything like that when inspecting the stats. Whatever the case, he was glad.

That meant its freeze properties could work just fine even in a floor as hot as this- maybe they'd last less, but they were bound to still leave room for an opening all the same. He knew how potent the ice was since the fight with Absolute Zero in the end. "If it could hold me down even while I was chipping away at the ice, then it must do the same even here."

image.png.ea88ac17be31d0f297f64adc676e8c80.png

LD Roll: 14 + 2 = 16

Quest Materials: 1/5

Edited by ChaseR

While placing the sword safely back in its scabbard, he noticed a small glowing piece a bit further away, grinning and beginning to approach it excitedly. "Now we're talking baby.", he thought to himself and once over it, picked it up. It was hard to tell what exactly it was, but it'd do its job all the same. Just when he was finished stashing it in his inventory, he looked to the side and before Chase could even get to strutting along again, he noticed another faint glow.

"Oh? For real, another one so quick?", he rhetorically asked himself with a cocked eyebrow and moved along, picking it up and smiling wider. Looked like luck had it in for him in the end, just had to wait a minute or two before it kicked in. He placed it snugly along the other material and kept track of how many he'd picked up, nodding to himself.

image.png.24fb76ab3e6d754f53973556c2d7b45f.png

LD Roll: 16 + 2 = 18

Quest Materials: 2/5

Edited by ChaseR

"I already have two, so I will need around three more and then the Phoenix' feather. I can see why they would make a Phoenix live here, but... A-Actually, let's not analyze it. Aincrad's fauna makes no sense when put into the real world's perspective, so it's best left to 'game logic', I guess. Speaking of which, I have to get used to game logic in the end. Baby steps, slow and steady...", he proclaimed with a sigh and continued to walk. By now, the path was filled with twists and turns around a small mountain, that appeared to have a bridge connecting it with another mountain over a small chasm at the very top. "Doesn't look like the terrain is going to be much friendlier from here on out.". If anything, all he wanted was to avoid falling. At least he didn't have any problems with heights, and going for a walk up the spiral path wouldn't do him any harm either. So long as no monsters or steam geysers were laid around, that is.

image.png.6ccc723dd6a9d44ed1a3bc3581ed5254.png

LD Roll: 8 + 2 = 10

Quest Materials: 2/5

Edited by ChaseR

While heading up the path, just near the very top, he noticed another glow. He crouched and picked it up, still trying to make the best he could out of them. He took the other two out of the inventory and into his hands, placing them near one another. On their owns, they appeared to be... just black shards of something. When placed together though, it was almost like they were all part of something that broke. Something sharp, like a claw... "A claw..? But from what?"

No matter how much thought he gave it for a solid two or three minutes, he couldn't end up anywhere. He decided he'd find out sooner or later and kept them tightly clutched in his hands, so that he wouldn't have to take them back out of his inventory when he eventually found the fourth and then the final (probably) and fifth piece.

image.png.04cd30dd7e388e6d152325368bfd65fe.png

LD Roll: 15 + 2 = 17

Quest Materials: 3/5

Edited by ChaseR

The walk was overall quite uneventful. No matter how hard he looked, no fourth piece came into sight. And as if the atmosphere wasn't already dull enough in the infernal depths of the ninth floor, not even too far away from the settlement, the wooshing of the geysers and the crunch of the dry soil as he made his way to the top of the spiral weren't any more helpful. Now that he had gotten to the bridge, he knew that it would be best if he went across it as quickly as possible.

He doubted that the terrain could break like this, but then again, better safe than sorry the way he saw it. The bluehead eventually started his way over the bridge, keeping hold of the rope with one hand and tight hold of the materials on the others. He was certain he wouldn't drop any, and ultimately, he didn't. He'd reached the other side just fine, no issues along the way whatsoever.

image.png.2843642c7c4f9e305171de4de2dbfe65.png

LD Roll: 4 + 2 = 6

Edited by ChaseR

Once he'd made it over to the next cliff or whatever that was, he examined the ground. While it was still dry, now there were some piles of ash and soot left and right. He kicked at them with his foot to see... nothing inside. One of them might hold something though, and with that thought in mind, he continued to search every single one he came across while looking for a way down. After he'd confirmed that every small pile was thoroughly searched for materials or any faint glow that would show up, he decided to start heading towards a small path that led down lower and lower into a blank, desolate valley. Despite his problems with the game's selection of creatures, he wasn't quite sure what would even suit this area other than... well, fiery monsters. Much like the Phoenix, sure. "Ashes... That means that there's some fires nearby. Probably a monster that fought with something or someone?"

image.png.da4c154ef62497a277df2666a1edde0f.png

LD Roll: 5 + 2 = 7

Edited by ChaseR

And speaking of fights, there it was. Just when he'd gotten down the dry path from the side of the cliff, a faint glow awaited for him by the very end. When he'd picked it up, the glow went away and it revealed to be yet another piece of whatever broken mess he was slowly piecing together one by one. With furrowed eyebrows, he stashed them all in his inventory. It wasn't up to question anymore, he was certain. This was a claw of sorts, and considering that he'd to fight a Phoenix by the end...

He wouldn't be surprised if the materials he was picking up all along just so happened to be broken talons of sorts. "Sure, most materials are random, but... If there's such a need for Phoenixes, who's to say that somebody else didn't have a bout with one and these are the remains left behind from the battle?", he questioned in his own head. It made sense, seeing as blades definitely couldn't break, and other than Hellhounds, which were in the exact opposite direction, there was no other monster with claws he'd seen around.

image.png.b66a15f6f2da41b5646665926b9dcb4d.png

LD Roll: 18 + 2 = 20

Quest Materials: 4/5

Edited by ChaseR

Then again, he'd never seen a Phoenix to know it had claws before, but he assumed it would have talons since... it's a bird, obviously. "... Maybe I shouldn't overthink everything like this either. Moving on...". He sighed, throwing both hands behind his head and continuing slightly further into the valley. Where it looked mostly hot and barren before, now it was incredibly dangerous. He wasn't sure whether they could deal any damage to him, but upon closer inspection, this entire wasteland...

Craters had been opened up by the steam erupting out of the ground. That would cause a hell of a mean burn, and he wanted nothing to do with them. He slowly headed into the wasteland slowly and steadily, taking deep breaths and making sure to not step anywhere near a geyser. Even if something was in fact nearby, no way he would notice with all of the steam flying left and right, trying to survive it.

image.png.5c3bce210bcf52b40708fc757e3a232a.png

LD Roll: 9 + 2 = 11

Quest Materials: 4/5

Edited by ChaseR

The further inside he headed, he noticed a circular like clearing in the middle of the wasteland. And there it waited for him, a large pile of soot. No way that there wasn't a material under it. Albeit slowly, the boy made his way there. As soon as he did, safe from any geysers with none nearby, he took his sword out and slashed at the pile, only to drive it away. Inside he saw a much brighter glow- the final piece of the talon. How'd he know it was a talon?

That was just a suspicion until he heard the bird cry from right up ahead. A phoenix quickly descended, flapping its wings proudly and lowering itself to the ground. Flames appeared to fan from its wings, and when Chase's eyes trailed down he only noticed that one of its talons was in fact, shattered and broken. So now he had to fight the phoenix itself, kill it, and obtain its feather. A rare drop to be used for this item. "Alright then. I accept your challenge."

image.png.9d0c9d11f51cbfc9b5d0b9128ce3f274.png

LD Roll: 14 + 2 = 16

Quest Materials: 5/5

Edited by ChaseR

As soon as he said that, the phoenix almost cried out in response and began to fly off the ground. It waited until Chase had raised his blade in front of himself and then started to surround the boy from the air, inspecting him from every single direction. Once it thought it'd found an opening, it quickly tried to dive right in with a loud shriek. Despite getting caught off guard, the bluehead moved the blade to just barely above the ground, focusing until it was the right time.

Just when the bird would hit him, he jumped to the side and slashed towards it, hitting one of its wings and sending it slightly back. Before it could drop, it managed to regain its balance and flapped its wings, staying in the air. "Alright, I managed to hit it. Just a few more hits and this will be it!", he thought to himself, watching his opponent back up and prepare for another attack, perhaps a divebomb once more.

image.png.2293a65569ec1cd552b9f9294358c960.png

ChaseR: HP: 960/960 | EN: 84/94 (-10) | DMG: 15 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 3 | MIT: 43 | BH: 19 | FRZ: 9-10 | BLD: 24 | V.(DEF): 48 | HBS: 16 | LD: 2

Phoenix: HP: 325/470 (-145) | DMG: 141 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 50 | MD 9-10: +50 DMG & T2 Burn

Edited by ChaseR

Just like he'd assumed, the bird took to the skies and it was only when he saw its figure coming back into sight at an alarming speed that he'd confirmed it was in fact, going to divebomb him. He jumped up into the air and ice covered his blade, as a red glow was left behind every move it made. With four quick slashes in succession, hitting its wings once each and the chest twice, the bird's wings were encased in ice, weighing it down and causing it to stay immobilized.

While it was still down, Chase landed and turned at it, unsure of just how effective his attack was. The answer was, very. Its health trickled down even once he'd attacked it, which was a sign that the sword's jagged edges put in their fair share of work as well. "The finishing blow shouldn't be that hard to land, then. It's a still target. So much for making the Phoenix out to be difficult."

image.png.a0bc9df40de634a4594e6afabeb708cf.png

ChaseR: HP: 960/960 | EN: 75/94 (+1, -10) | DMG: 15 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 3 | MIT: 43 | BH: 19 | FRZ: 9-10 | BLD: 24 | V.(DEF): 48 | HBS: 16 | LD: 2

Phoenix: HP: 130/470 (-171 & -24) | DMG: 141 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 50 | MD 9-10: +50 DMG & T2 Burn | FROZEN | BLEEDING T2 [1/2]

Edited by ChaseR

As he approached the phoenix, it slowly thawed out of the ice more and more, but not fast enough. He raised his sword into the air and slashed downwards, essentially cleaving the avian in half before it had the chance to fight back. It opened its beak in a final attempt to use a fire attack against him, but before any flames could come out, it was already shattering into beautiful crystals while the ice fell onto the ground and melted, evaporating into steam a few seconds afterwards.

"Thank you for the feather.", he thanked the monster and dipped his head in as the loot window appeared, getting him to smile. Now at least he could get back to the crafters and have them hand over the consumable for the materials he'd successfully fetched, just like they asked. And the bonus SP to boot wasn't that bad, either. He'd take it over the already present reward, for sure.

image.png.7e2844493281fae47d39e8e3456a7e08.png

ChaseR: HP: 960/960 | EN: 66/94 (+1, -10) | DMG: 15 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 3 | MIT: 43 | BH: 19 | FRZ: 9-10 | BLD: 24 | V.(DEF): 48 | HBS: 16 | LD: 2

Phoenix: HP: 0/470 (-145 & -24) | DMG: 141 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 50 | MD 9-10: +50 DMG & T2 Burn | BLEEDING T2 [2/2]

Phoenix Feather: 1/1

Edited by ChaseR

The trip back wasn't long, but it was definitely longer than he'd have expected. He had to carefully maneuver through the field of steam geysers and hot death, back over the cliff from the path, over the bridge, back down from the small mountain and all the way back to the settlement. It took a few uninteresting, uneventful minutes filled with boredom and a little bit of nothing, but he managed to push through all the same. If he'd given up here, there was no reason he wouldn't have back at the lookout shift with DAY.

When he got into the settlement, he checked in with the quest log once more to make sure he knew exactly where the blacksmith and tailor were. Uncertain how they were even meant to get the item crafted together, he left it to the game and didn't question it because 'game logic'. It's a good start at least.

Edited by ChaseR

He found the blacksmith's shop, only to see both of the tailor and burly man waiting inside with their arms crossed. With a small smile, he offered the materials and watched them get to work. Throughout the next quarter, they crafted items, handed them to one another, crafted some more and continued onwards. Then, they went to the back of the shop where the boy could no longer see them, and when they were back, it was done.

The quest rewards window showed up and as a result, he got the nametag he'd been promised, alongside the SP. Maybe he'd gotten Col too, but he didn't notice before closing the notification. He waved at the NPCs and left the shop, only to open his inventory and look at the nametag, inspecting it carefully. "So then... The only way to make a nametag must be through this quest, so if I ever need another one, I can always come back here and do this little journey over and over."

Edited by ChaseR

Not like it mattered. It wasn't straining him any, the journey itself was quick and if he was even better prepared, he could have gotten it over even faster in the first place. "Alright then... Now maybe it would be a good time to call NIGHT and check on what exactly we should do for the day. I'm almost a push away from the third tier after all, so... I wonder, am I ready to join the frontlines? I don't even know anybody there other than... tch, pink and NIGHT. DAY mustn't participate any, so... That leaves me with two people. And one of which I hate."

That wasn't such a smooth start, but they'd get there when they did. He was certain that NIGHT would put in a bit of effort to help him out get familiar with the third tiers he'd fit in, but... Actually, Freyd must have gotten there shortly after they stopped questing together. A brief encounter, but he'd gotten a familiar face out of it. That's good enough, to him.

Edited by ChaseR

With slow, relaxed steps, Chase began to head right towards the teleporter, processing through everything on the back of his head. "... There's a lot to get out of the way, huh? I should start catching up with the preparations they've made for the boss if the boss meeting is already over, either way. It'd be for the best, uhuh.". Hell, if he heard that it was still ongoing, even with fewer members than usual, he'd do his damndest to get over there and learn as much as he could about the boss.

That means he'd waste less of NIGHT's time and more of his own getting properly prepared and schooled in whatever they were about to fight. "Nah, chances of that are slim. Ariel I met seven days ago and she was at the boss meeting... Whatever meeting would take seven days on either way? S-Say, maybe I should check in with Bistro.". The informant might have a bit of information on the boss, maybe what type of a monster it is, a hint on its stats... Then again... Sigh.

Edited by ChaseR

There was definitely much more to get out of the way than he had expected and it was slowly turning out not to be fun. That was alright. He wasn't here to have fun in the first place. He was here to get the game finished and help everybody get out of the floating castle, slowly but steadily. It could take months, years or weeks. It wouldn't matter, as long as they got out. There was no time constraint whatsoever. While putting himself in the right mindset, he wasted no time opening his menu and bringing up NIGHT's messages.

He sent her the meeting location for their next quest and waited for a response, stretching and looking at the platform right in front of him. The first time he'd used it, it felt so weird, but by now it'd become second nature for him to use these on the daily. "Even if I don't want to admit, I really am adapting to this world so quickly, huh?"

Edited by ChaseR

Whatever. He'd wasted enough time pondering about issues that would have to be dealt with in the future. All that mattered was that now, he had to go back to grinding through quests with the swordswoman. To keep Shay safe, to help with the floor boss and to get a jump ahead of everybody else. That would get him one step closer to Calrex. Enough with the sentimentalities however- at least for these few seconds.

He stepped onto the teleporter and now that he knew where to find NIGHT, the blue light began to coat him. He closed his eyes and let out a deep exhale, smiling under the blinding flash. "... Lily, just hang in there. I'll be there, I promise.", Chase thought to himself before he finally disappeared within a blink. No point in fighting against his own thoughts. He'd get serious when he had to; at least that was a good five minutes from now when he reached the next quest's objective.

Spoiler

Thread Rewards:

• 1425 Col
  • 3 SP (1 quest; 1 page; 1 event)
  • Nametag [Special Consumable] - On use of a Weapon or Piece of Armor, it can change the name and/or description of the item. 

Edited by ChaseR